HOWTO localize common dialogs

hi all!
I have a core application with no resources.
I have a couple of DLLs containing the resources (one for each language i
need to support).

Now:
1. system is win2k and i develop with visual c++ 6.0
2. the application uses mfc as shared dll
3. the dlls containing the resources use mfc as shared dll too.
4. everything has been built using appwizard.

i exactly display the correct GUI for the chosen language.
but i'm trying to get the localized mfc resources in order to have the same
language also for the common dialogs (es. FileOpen, the buttons of
AfxMessageBox, etc).

I applied suggestions reported in msdn documentation:
but it does not work.

what am i missing???
thank for the help!

0
giusai (7)
10/14/2004 12:55:05 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

giusai wrote:
> i exactly display the correct GUI for the chosen language.
> but i'm trying to get the localized mfc resources in order to have the same
> language also for the common dialogs (es. FileOpen, the buttons of
> AfxMessageBox, etc).
>
> I applied suggestions reported in msdn documentation:
> but it does not work.

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208983

0
mac1 (347)
10/14/2004 1:56:41 PM
Thank you very much!
but.............
i saw that article before.
The problem is that i cannot overwrite the mfcxxloc.dll everytime i change
the language for my application.
Just for having all GUIs language omogeneous.......

"Mihajlo Cvetanovic" wrote:

> giusai wrote:
> > i exactly display the correct GUI for the chosen language.
> > but i'm trying to get the localized mfc resources in order to have the same
> > language also for the common dialogs (es. FileOpen, the buttons of
> > AfxMessageBox, etc).
> >
> > I applied suggestions reported in msdn documentation:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198536/EN-US/
> > but it does not work.
>
> Try this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208983

0
giusai (7)
10/14/2004 2:27:03 PM
> Thank you very much!
> but.............
> i saw that article before.
> The problem is that i cannot overwrite the mfcxxloc.dll everytime i change
> the language for my application.
> Just for having all GUIs language omogeneous.......
Cannot really do this with MFC4x, mfcxxloc is the only mechanism supported.
MFC7x (Included with Dev Studio NET) supports several languages in paralel.

Mihai
giusai <giusai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<8B6B33D6-488A-434B-A5E4-0FCD0B49A1BA@microsoft.com>...
> hi all!
> I have a core application with no resources.
> I have a couple of DLLs containing the resources (one for each language i
> need to support).
>
> Now:
> 1. system is win2k and i develop with visual c++ 6.0
> 2. the application uses mfc as shared dll
> 3. the dlls containing the resources use mfc as shared dll too.
> 4. everything has been built using appwizard.
>
> i exactly display the correct GUI for the chosen language.
> but i'm trying to get the localized mfc resources in order to have the same
> language also for the common dialogs (es. FileOpen, the buttons of
> AfxMessageBox, etc).
>
> I applied suggestions reported in msdn documentation:
> but it does not work.
>
> what am i missing???
> thank for the help!

Nothing. You cannot localize File Open dialog because it is not a part
of MFC, but a part of Common Controls library. You cannot localize OK
and Cancel button because their names are the part of the system.

Generally, what you can localize is File menu, font and color dialogs
and printer properties as well as error messages. The best way to do
so is to add MFC resources to your program resources (as a separate
dll selectable during installation). Don't distribute mfc42loc.dll, as
long as it will spoil target system (Wordpad and Paint will be
localized to your program language).
0
kochkarev (130)
10/15/2004 9:19:22 AM
thank Mihai.
I bother you another time.
I tried to sobstitute the MFC42LOC.dll but nothing change. I continue to see
the same language, also if i cancel MFC42LOC.dll.
????

"Mihai N." wrote:

> > Thank you very much!
> > but.............
> > i saw that article before.
> > The problem is that i cannot overwrite the mfcxxloc.dll everytime i change
> > the language for my application.
> > Just for having all GUIs language omogeneous.......
> Cannot really do this with MFC4x, mfcxxloc is the only mechanism supported.
> MFC7x (Included with Dev Studio NET) supports several languages in paralel.
>
> Mihai

0
giusai (7)
10/15/2004 9:23:01 AM
Thanks Sergey.
Now everything is clear!
giusi

"Sergey Kochkarev" wrote:

> giusai <giusai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<8B6B33D6-488A-434B-A5E4-0FCD0B49A1BA@microsoft.com>...
> > hi all!
> > I have a core application with no resources.
> > I have a couple of DLLs containing the resources (one for each language i
> > need to support).
> >
> > Now:
> > 1. system is win2k and i develop with visual c++ 6.0
> > 2. the application uses mfc as shared dll
> > 3. the dlls containing the resources use mfc as shared dll too.
> > 4. everything has been built using appwizard.
> >
> > i exactly display the correct GUI for the chosen language.
> > but i'm trying to get the localized mfc resources in order to have the same
> > language also for the common dialogs (es. FileOpen, the buttons of
> > AfxMessageBox, etc).
> >
> > I applied suggestions reported in msdn documentation:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198536/EN-US/
> > but it does not work.
> >
> > what am i missing???
> > thank for the help!
>
> Nothing. You cannot localize File Open dialog because it is not a part
> of MFC, but a part of Common Controls library. You cannot localize OK
> and Cancel button because their names are the part of the system.
>
> Generally, what you can localize is File menu, font and color dialogs
> and printer properties as well as error messages. The best way to do
> so is to add MFC resources to your program resources (as a separate
> dll selectable during installation). Don't distribute mfc42loc.dll, as
> long as it will spoil target system (Wordpad and Paint will be
> localized to your program language).

0
giusai (7)
10/15/2004 9:29:04 AM
> I bother you another time.
> I tried to sobstitute the MFC42LOC.dll but nothing change. I continue to
> see the same language, also if i cancel MFC42LOC.dll.
What is the default system locale? What about the UI language of the OS?

--
Mihai
-------------------------

RE: Still not displaying the dialog box
Hi All, 1. Machine and OS specifications I have Windows XP running Office XP Standard Edition. These software packages are installed on my dell Inspiron laptop. I have 128 MB RAM with a 40 GB HardDrive. 2. Problem In excel, when I pressed the New menu item, a dialog box would appear displaying all of the known templates. I tried the fix listed below, however it did not fix my problem. Is there a registry setting I should set? Dmoss, Did you try my solution of yesterday? If it didn't work, look through the File category (Customize) for another New button. -- Earl Ki...

No security of local (downloaded) mails
Hi, I have Outlook 2003 running on my PC and connects to the company's exchange server. I let many of my friends access my Pc in my absence. I would like my mails to be inaccessible to them -- Currently, when i open Outlook, even though it asks for a password, that is only for downloading new mail. Those mails which are already downloaded (last time I logged in) are visible and very much accessible even without logging in. We can just say "cancel" for the login dialog, and browse through the existing mails. Can I somehow make the inbox appear only AFTER the authentication s...

Local Exchange users not receiving mail
I've just loaded Exchange 2003 Server. We already had existing domain users in the domain so to create mailboxes for them I went into AD users and computers, selected the users object and right clicked on each user, selected Exchange tasks, then created each mailbox. That went very smoothly. However, no one is receiving email. They all send fine but do not receive. We do have a firewall and I have allowed SMTP and POP3 through the firewall. Presently we are not using Internet Email on the Exchange Server just internal email only. Can someone tell me why we can send locally...

Howto create textbox like in powerpoint
Hi Could someone tell me how to create powerpoint type textboxes? Are they windowless rich edit controls? Thanks Sachin They are rich edit control, but they have a window, they are owned by the window that they are being displayed on. AliR. "sachinkundu" <sachinkundu@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1170062520.486641.43880@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > Could someone tell me how to create powerpoint type textboxes? Are > they windowless rich edit controls? > > Thanks > Sachin > > They are rich edit control, but they have a wind...

Embedding Active document on a dialog frame
Hi Greetings to all I need to do following 1) To show a word document on dialog box. 2) MAke this dialog as an active X control. Please help Thank you ...

Domain Users Cannot Login to OWA unless they are Local Admin
Only way for anybody to login to OWA is by making them a local admin on the OWA server. This is what I think is the chain of events. The server was moved to a new OU with a different GPO applied a few weeks ago. We are using the MS High Security template with then another GP with the exceptions needed to enable services, rights, etc. Today the server was rebooted, now OWA doesn't allow users to login. This took something away but don't know exactly what. We have moved server back to original OU and ran GPUPDATE /FORCE but there must be something that was taken away by the other ...

Smtp Authentication
Hi all I'm an IBM Domino administrator.But i have to fix an exchange 2003 server in these days.The problem is; the exchange server was full of spam yesterday because of open relay, i deleted all the spam.Now i want to make an smtp authentication setting on the exchange server. the schema is as that: 1 MS 2003 server (domain controller) with exchange 2003 installed (all fixpacks are included) (192.168.0.1).15 clients (winXP+Outlook 2000/XP/2003 mixed). network adress is 192.168.0.0/24 all the computers access to internet by a dsl router (192.168.0.254), using 192.168.0.1 as DNS server...

HOWTO Force landscape printing with CPrintDialog.
HOWTO Force landscape printing with CPrintDialog. Please help, I have the following code I want to FORCE to print in landscape after the CPrintDialog finishes. This solution must not touch the CWinApp's "m_hDevMode" data member. This solution must only do something to the DC returned from the CPrintDialog, and it must override any possible orientation settings the user may have change while they were inside CPrintDialog. : CPrintDialog CPrintDialog_Temp(FALSE); if (CPrintDialog_Temp.DoModal() == IDOK) { // Do something here to FORCE the print out to be landscape ...

local smtp relay
I have a webserver that needs to relay mail to my e2k3 from a dmz. The webserver is not part of the exchange domain but has smtp installed on it to relay mail. The local system is the only machine that need to send and receive, no one else should have access to this feature except the local machine. It relay to a smart host, e2k3, to send internal and external mail. At this point, the webserver is only able to send internal mail. Whenever it tries to send an external mail, it gets an error "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@anotherdomain.com." Add the webserver'...

DLL Howto
Hello everyone, I would like to fill in people who have not made MFC dlls my experiences making them, and how to make DLL creation extremely simple. First you want to create a MFC extension dll, which is important because this specific type of DLL will allow you to export functions and classes without any confusing code. After that, implement any classes to the dll and when the class is being declared include the AFX_EXT_CLASS macro. For instance class CModifyTransaction : public CDialog would become... class AFX_EXT_CLASS CModifyTransaction : public CDialog after that is added any dll ...

Mailbox
I have a user who gets a huge number of emails via listservs. He dilligently cleans them out for me, and keeps his local mailbox to a reasonable size. However, the server never seems to reset its size to match that of the local mailbox - it appears the deletes never happen on the server. I have had to change his allowed server space permissions in order to keep his account alive. I have tried changing his mailbox setting for "save deleted items for " XX "days" to one day but we still haven't seen any change in the size of the server mailbox, which is over 10X...

Finding local users?
Is there an easy way to find GP, Dynamics users that are local to me (and/or local user groups)? -- Regards, P Ebmeier Manager, Materials Systems GP 9.0 ...

Exchange GAL to Local COntacts Folder Export Script

How To Enable / Disable Upper Right Close Box in a Dialog Based application
Hey Friends I need to Enable / Disable Upper Right Close Box in a Dialog Based application at runtime.Can someone suggest Plz. Thanks in advance CWnd::ModifyStyle() D.K. "vikrant" <vikrant_kpr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eYHN$ZffDHA.3528@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hey Friends I need to Enable / Disable Upper Right Close Box in a Dialog > Based application at runtime.Can someone suggest Plz. > > Thanks in advance > > CWnd::ModifyStyle() D.K. "vikrant" <vikrant_kpr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eYHN$ZffDHA.3528@tk2msftngp1...

RPC over HTTP using .local domain
I am using a .local domain for on a small business server 2003. When my outlook users connect the must type domain.local\%username% rather than the default netbiosname\%username%. Any sugestions? Have you consider using UPN and matching the UPN to the email domain name? Nue <gomert@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1145889850.080836.135900@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I am using a .local domain for on a small business server 2003. When my > outlook users connect the must type domain.local\%username% rather than > the default netbiosname\%username%. > > Any sugesti...

Best time to adjust dialog's layout?
I want to be able to adjust the size of a CEdit control based on the size of the dialog. If the user wants to make the size bigger, I will enlarge the CEdit control, and move the other controls (couple buttons, combobox, etc) without resizing them. on which message should I be setting the new positions? OnSizing, OnSize, EXITSIZEMODE,WINDOWPOSCHANGING, WINDOWPOSCHANGED? any ideas? Nick You may want to take a look at this code: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dialog/resizabledialog.aspx It's really easy to implement. Tom "Nick Schultz" <nick.schultz@flir.com> wr...

HOWTO: Protecting a Document???
Hi... I'm still using Office XP (Word 2002). I'm just about finished making a FORM document which I plan to turn into a template (.DOT). I've turned on the "Forms Protect"... which moves the user around the "protected text" but I also want to disable anyone from changing the original .DOT itself (this will be a standard form and don't need some smart-ass altering something that I'm, ultimately, responsible for). I'm still GOOGLE'g but... how can I allow a user to OPEN this file to enter data/check boxes into the FORM FIELDS......

Exchange Certificate HowTo
I am looking for a howto on implementing Verisign Certificates into the Exchange environment. Currently all of our users have Digital ID's from Verisign to encrypt e-mail messages. We attempted to install these certificates into Outlook 2003 with no luck. When sending to user while attempting to encrypt it says that we are unable to send encrypted mail to this user even though we have his/her digital ID locally. My question involves how to get the server to recognize the certificates or how to enable exchange to see the certificates. We are using WIn2003 SBS with Exchange 2003 and on the c...

Downloading Hotmail to local machine
I have setup Hotmail to be viewed through Outlook XP on my local machine. I, however, still have the mail on the Hotmail server. Is there a way of setting it up so that it downloads to a .pst on my local pc instead of just giving me a copy and leaving the original on the web? Please help if you can. Thanks. Try logging on to your hotmail account via the internet and changing your preferences. There should be an option there to change "do not leave copy of message on server". Then when you open your email thru Outlook it should download your email to your system and not lea...

calling modal dialog function from external c code
Howdy all, Problem: I have a dialog based MFC app, mixed in with some external C code, and want to be able to have a C callback function interact with the dialog. Something along the lines of: void MyAppDlg::OnTest() { m_ctlStaticText.SetWindowText("hello world"); } void appCallback(int msg) { switch(msg) { case FOO: // invoke MyAppDlg::OnTest here break; } } My first attempt was to try and get at the dialog directly: case FOO: ((MyAppDlg)theApp.m_pMainWnd).OnTest(); break; The result was an...

Making dialog app topmost window
Hi, How do I *in practice* make my MFC dialog based app appear on top of all other apps? I know the theory - set WM_EX_TOP by calling SetWindowPos(wndTop, ...) etc. but it doesnt seem to work for me (calling SetWindowPos() in OnInitDialog() in the app dialog). Jan Try posting a custom message and use SetWindowPos in its handler. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Jan" <biteme@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uvOGP9HuEHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > How do I *in practice* make my MFC dialog based app appear on top of all > other apps? ...

Common mailbox
E2K3 Sp2 Have made a common group mailbox, witch specific users can send on behalf of. But all answers are stored as Sent Items in the users mailbox, not as Sent Items in the common group mailbox. Want that all answers should be located as Sent Items in common group mailbox, in case of one of the employed quit. Is it a solution? Jordan That's because you open two mailboxes at the same time. You may make a rule to move items from user's own Sent Items to shared Sent Items when "From:" is the shared mailbox. -- Ray MCSE+Internet, MCDBA, MCP "Jordan" wrote in ...

Local Cost in Supplier
I was going through a list of items supplied by a supplier and I noticed that this one in particular has a column I had never seen called "local cost" right next to cost. I haven't seen this for any of our other suppliers in RMS, does anyone know what this means, or how it is enabled? Thank you. Sorry, I figured it out. In case this happens to anyone else, what had happened is inside the properties for the Supplier, the currency was set to U.S. Dollars instead of Default Currency. Thank you. "ScottM" wrote: > I was going through a list...

HowTo block Attachments on Exchange 2003???
Hi. I'm looking how to block certain types of attachments in Exchange 2003 (installed as part of Win2003 SBS PRO Server) in 'Exchange System Manager'? Is it possible to block certain attachments only for certain users? 10x and best regards, Dezo Damir Dezeljin <News@dezo.org> wrote in news:O3NZqtvsEHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl: > I'm looking how to block certain types of attachments in Exchange 2003 > (installed as part of Win2003 SBS PRO Server) in 'Exchange System > Manager'? > > Is it possible to block certain attachments only for certai...

How can I localize CMonthCalCtrl at runtime?
Hello, I've an application that uses CMonthCalCtrl control in a dialog. MSDN documentation states that the month- calendar control uses LOCALE_USER_DEFAULT to get its format and all strings. For Windows 2000 and later, it gets month title format from LOCALE_SYEARMONTH. So, it seems that the control is using the OS/user defined locale. I need to change the locale at runtime, such that if the user selects "Korean" locale in my application, the control is able to show in Korean, even though the underlying user defined/OS defined locale is Japanese. Is there...