how to send data/message from win32 dll to mfc application?

Hi All ,

I have to send data from a  Win32 DLL to mfc application. What are the
possible ways to achieve this?
In mfc application I have a document which should recieve this data .
is it possible ?
I read somewhere about PostMessage() method . it sends the message to
applcations main window (CmainFrm ???) .Should I handle the messages
sent by the dll and update my document from here ?

Thanks in advance
JustLikeDat

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

ggurubasavaraja@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All ,
>
> I have to send data from a  Win32 DLL to mfc application. What are the
> possible ways to achieve this?
> In mfc application I have a document which should recieve this data .
> is it possible ?
> I read somewhere about PostMessage() method . it sends the message to
> applcations main window (CmainFrm ???) .Should I handle the messages
> sent by the dll and update my document from here ?

JLD:

::PostMessage() delivers its message to the window that it specifies in
its first argument. A document is not a window.

I would say that you are best to make sure (somehow) that you have the
main Window of the application, and post the message there. Your MFC
application can then route the message as necessary.

David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP

0
no-reply8010 (1791)
8/24/2007 1:38:42 PM
I'm just curious:
(i) Is the Dll loaded in your application ?
(ii) If yes, then why don't you simply  export a function from the Dll
that the App can call ?

-S

0
smisro (101)
8/24/2007 3:11:04 PM
This might work for you.  I use this to communicate between applications.

http://www.codeproject.com/threads/ipc_wmcopy.asp

Tom

<ggurubasavaraja@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All ,
>
> I have to send data from a  Win32 DLL to mfc application. What are the
> possible ways to achieve this?
> In mfc application I have a document which should recieve this data .
> is it possible ?
> I read somewhere about PostMessage() method . it sends the message to
> applcations main window (CmainFrm ???) .Should I handle the messages
> sent by the dll and update my document from here ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> JustLikeDat

0
tserface (3860)
8/24/2007 4:23:39 PM
On Aug 24, 7:29 am, ggurubasavar...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All ,
>
> I have to send data from a  Win32 DLL to mfc application. What are the
> possible ways to achieve this?
> In mfc application I have a document which should recieve this data .
> is it possible ?
> I read somewhere about PostMessage() method . it sends the message to
> applcations main window (CmainFrm ???) .Should I handle the messages
> sent by the dll and update my document from here ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> JustLikeDat

A document does not receive a message. It receives the commands thru
MFC's command routing mechanism. You can use ::PostMessage to post the
message to mainframe from your module (is it in the same process
space?). If its WM_COMMAND message, it will go to the active document
by default due to MFC's command routing.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
8/25/2007 9:31:19 PM
PostMessage will route to a window, and a document is not a window.  However, the
suggestion about routing to the main frame doesn't work well in an MDI app, because the
routing becomes more complex.  You have to provide the CDocument* in the WPARAM or LPARAM,
and this means the main frame has to know about all the document types, or you end up with
something vastly more complex.  Typically, you route the message to a view, but that has
risks if you open multiple views on the same document and then close the one you were
routing messages to.  The method I prefer is that the CDocument creates an invisible
top-level window that represents its message sink, and messages are posted or sent
(depending on whether they are from the main GUI thread or secondary threads; SendMessage
tends to have problems when used from secondary threads) to this invisible target window,
thus eliminating the need to route to either the main frame and decode it or worry about
the consequences of views disappearing.  Since the CDocument-derived class owns the
invisible window, it will not be destroyed until the the CDocument's class destructor is
executed.

You can see this technique in my essay on sending timer messages to a document on my MVP
Tips site.
				joe
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 04:29:36 -0700, ggurubasavaraja@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi All ,
>
>I have to send data from a  Win32 DLL to mfc application. What are the
>possible ways to achieve this?
>In mfc application I have a document which should recieve this data .
>is it possible ?
>I read somewhere about PostMessage() method . it sends the message to
>applcations main window (CmainFrm ???) .Should I handle the messages
>sent by the dll and update my document from here ?
>
>Thanks in advance
>JustLikeDat
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
8/25/2007 10:17:43 PM
I guess SendMessage() method affects the speed of the appliacation.
Can I have a thread in my win32 dll and another thread in my mfc
application and I use PostThreadMessage() to send the data ?

I will pass the thread Id through the function exported by dll.

I'm not sure why you think SendMessage is going to affect the speed of your app any more
than PostMessage or PostThreadMessage.  Don't use PostThreadMessage to send messages from
your secondary threads to the main GUI thread for reasons discussed in the
PostThreadMessage documentation.  It would be a very, very bad idea to use it.  It can be
used safely when the target is a UI thread which has no visible windows.
					joe

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:49:15 -0700, ggurubasavaraja@gmail.com wrote:

>I guess SendMessage() method affects the speed of the appliacation.
>Can I have a thread in my win32 dll and another thread in my mfc
>application and I use PostThreadMessage() to send the data ?
>
>I will pass the thread Id through the function exported by dll.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
8/28/2007 7:07:48 AM
I am planning to have a thread inside my document class . and I would
like to send messages to this thread .
I hope in this case I can use postthreadmessage() without any
hassles , but can I do it between thread in a win32 dll and the other
one  in mfc application ?

>I am planning to have a thread inside my document class . and I would
> like to send messages to this thread .
> I hope in this case I can use postthreadmessage() without any
> hassles , but can I do it between thread in a win32 dll and the other
> one  in mfc application ?

If you are posting to the main GUI thread then you can not use
PostThreadMessage. You must use PostMessage to an HWND.

0
Scott
8/28/2007 1:25:49 PM
Hi Folks,

I have just now posted another question which is related to this
post . I thought if we continue this thread it would be better .
I am trying to postmessage from my dll , but its faling at
CObject::IsKindof . I am sending a huge data (1000 bytes) as lparam of
teh postmessage , is that a problem ? and I am using various
threads(around 8) inside the win32 dll .

Please help

Regards,
JLD

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have just now posted another question which is related to this
> post . I thought if we continue this thread it would be better .
> I am trying to postmessage from my dll , but its faling at
> CObject::IsKindof . I am sending a huge data (1000 bytes) as lparam of
> teh postmessage , is that a problem ? and I am using various
> threads(around 8) inside the win32 dll .

Please let us see your code.  Are you posting the pointer to the 1000 bytes?
If so, does it point to data within the same process as the main frame
window?  If not, you will need to marshall the data to another process.  But
I think it is the same process, since it is coming from a dll loaded into
the mainframe process....

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
10/19/2007 1:43:22 PM
I am extremely sorry for the code , I can not put it here . Yes the
structure which I may send may go over 1000 byets , I think it is in
the same process window as I load the dll from my application class
(derived from cwinapp) and I set the handle HWND soon after I
initialize the dll from my initinstance method . The data which I send
is being filled by the various threads in the win32 dll . is that
causing a problem here ?

>I am extremely sorry for the code , I can not put it here . Yes the
> structure which I may send may go over 1000 byets , I think it is in
> the same process window as I load the dll from my application class
> (derived from cwinapp) and I set the handle HWND soon after I
> initialize the dll from my initinstance method . The data which I send
> is being filled by the various threads in the win32 dll . is that
> causing a problem here ?

The data needs to still exist when the mainframe receives the posted message
and accesses it.  Do you have critical section or mutex to protect access
from the other threads?

I would look at the call stack when you get the crash in IsKindOf().  What
is MFC doing at the time; is it trying to figure out how to dispatch the
posted message?

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
10/19/2007 2:17:42 PM
Hi david,

Please have a look at the callstack . Hope this would help you in
finding the solution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>	mfc80ud.dll!CObject::IsKindOf(const CRuntimeClass * pClass=0x782e6768)  Line 45 + 0x8 bytes	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!CDocument::GetNextView(__POSITION * &
rPosition=0x00000000)  Line 799 + 0xe bytes	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!CDocument::AssertValid()  Line 881 + 0x11 bytes	C++
 	UI.exe!CUIDoc::AssertValid()  Line 227	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!AfxAssertValidObject(const CObject * pOb=0x01370740,
const char * lpszFileName=0x782f1b80, int nLine=423)  Line 107	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!CDocTemplate::AssertValid()  Line 424	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!CMultiDocTemplate::AssertValid()  Line 213	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!AfxAssertValidObject(const CObject * pOb=0x0035ce78,
const char * lpszFileName=0x782f249c, int nLine=871)  Line 107	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!CDocManager::AssertValid()  Line 872	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!AfxAssertValidObject(const CObject * pOb=0x00359f00,
const char * lpszFileName=0x782f56e0, int nLine=1062)  Line 107	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!CWinApp::AssertValid()  Line 1063	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!AfxAssertValidObject(const CObject * pOb=0x004af640,
const char * lpszFileName=0x782f52e0, int nLine=772)  Line 107	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!CWinThread::PreTranslateMessage(tagMSG *
pMsg=0x00154080)  Line 773	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!AfxPreTranslateMessage(tagMSG * pMsg=0x00154080)  Line
252 + 0x11 bytes	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!AfxInternalPumpMessage()  Line 178 + 0x18 bytes	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!CWinThread::PumpMessage()  Line 896	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!CWinThread::Run()  Line 625 + 0xd bytes	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!CWinApp::Run()  Line 889	C++
 	mfc80ud.dll!AfxWinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance=0x00400000,
HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance=0x00000000, wchar_t *
lpCmdLine=0x00020892, int nCmdShow=1)  Line 47 + 0xd bytes	C++
 	UI.exe!wWinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance=0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ *
hPrevInstance=0x00000000, wchar_t * lpCmdLine=0x00020892, int
nCmdShow=1)  Line 29	C++
 	UI.exe!__tmainCRTStartup()  Line 578 + 0x35 bytes	C
 	UI.exe!wWinMainCRTStartup()  Line 403	C
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
JLD

Another surprising thing I observed is even If I dnt send a
postmessage I get an exception @ isKindOf function ..
Its after WaitForSingleObject() in my thread is executed . I am unable
to crack it beyond that :(

> Hi david,
>
> Please have a look at the callstack . Hope this would help you in
> finding the solution.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> mfc80ud.dll!CObject::IsKindOf(const CRuntimeClass * pClass=0x782e6768)
>> Line 45 + 0x8 bytes C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!CDocument::GetNextView(__POSITION * &
> rPosition=0x00000000)  Line 799 + 0xe bytes C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!CDocument::AssertValid()  Line 881 + 0x11 bytes C++
>  UI.exe!CUIDoc::AssertValid()  Line 227 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!AfxAssertValidObject(const CObject * pOb=0x01370740,
> const char * lpszFileName=0x782f1b80, int nLine=423)  Line 107 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!CDocTemplate::AssertValid()  Line 424 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!CMultiDocTemplate::AssertValid()  Line 213 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!AfxAssertValidObject(const CObject * pOb=0x0035ce78,
> const char * lpszFileName=0x782f249c, int nLine=871)  Line 107 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!CDocManager::AssertValid()  Line 872 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!AfxAssertValidObject(const CObject * pOb=0x00359f00,
> const char * lpszFileName=0x782f56e0, int nLine=1062)  Line 107 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!CWinApp::AssertValid()  Line 1063 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!AfxAssertValidObject(const CObject * pOb=0x004af640,
> const char * lpszFileName=0x782f52e0, int nLine=772)  Line 107 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!CWinThread::PreTranslateMessage(tagMSG *
> pMsg=0x00154080)  Line 773 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!AfxPreTranslateMessage(tagMSG * pMsg=0x00154080)  Line
> 252 + 0x11 bytes C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!AfxInternalPumpMessage()  Line 178 + 0x18 bytes C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!CWinThread::PumpMessage()  Line 896 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!CWinThread::Run()  Line 625 + 0xd bytes C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!CWinApp::Run()  Line 889 C++
>  mfc80ud.dll!AfxWinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance=0x00400000,
> HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance=0x00000000, wchar_t *
> lpCmdLine=0x00020892, int nCmdShow=1)  Line 47 + 0xd bytes C++
>  UI.exe!wWinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance=0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ *
> hPrevInstance=0x00000000, wchar_t * lpCmdLine=0x00020892, int
> nCmdShow=1)  Line 29 C++
>  UI.exe!__tmainCRTStartup()  Line 578 + 0x35 bytes C
>  UI.exe!wWinMainCRTStartup()  Line 403 C
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would help to see the source code at each of these lines.  Starting
towards the top, why is CDocument::AssertValid() calling
CDocument::GetNextView()?  Does the document really contain non-views
(otherwise why is IsKindOf() failing)?  Very bizarre.  At any rate, since
this also occurs other than when you receive a posted message, it does seem
some of your threads are leaving the state of your CView's a mess.

Sorry I can't be more help.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
10/22/2007 9:52:13 PM
My document does contain multiple views , I have a single document and
4 views which are in seperate child frames.
But how could my GUI gets affected when I run some thread in my dll?
All that dll has to do is to sit idle when it does not get any data to
process , but that is not happening :(

> My document does contain multiple views , I have a single document and
> 4 views which are in seperate child frames.
> But how could my GUI gets affected when I run some thread in my dll?
> All that dll has to do is to sit idle when it does not get any data to
> process , but that is not happening :(

Nothing is making sense... perhaps you should comment out various parts of
your app like the threads and see if the crash still occurs.  Find the
culprit by elimination.  Unfortunately, much Windows programming involves
things like this to make it work....

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)

Data Security & Flash Drive Formatting
Last week I placed some sensitive files on a flash drive for a brief period (two or three hours) before deleting them. At this point, I'd like to make sure that these deleted files CANNOT be recovered, and I know there are tools out there that *can* restore deleted files. I need to make sure that any such tools will NOT be able to recover the files in question. So, I'm wondering if a "low-level" format operation would flip all the 1's to 0's (so to speak), such that these files would be certainly unrecoverable. Would formatting do the trick? And wo...

no data to return blank
I currently have this formula =IF(C8>0,C8-$G$3,"") in a series of cells which is fine when there is information but I get a # value error when there is nothing in the cells it looks to. Is there a way to have it leave the cell blank if there is no data in the cells it looks to? -- A. when i test this formula using blank cells for c8 & g3 i get a blank cell as a result. how is your sheet arranged? "Andmor" wrote: > I currently have this formula =IF(C8>0,C8-$G$3,"") in a series of cells which > is fine when there is information ...

No message in outbox

Bin and sort a large list of data
I have a large list of data that i need to go through for my job. what i want to do is organize the numbers into bins, then elimintate any numbers that are identical. does anyone have any ideas? Hi, Sort the data into the number order. Let's say that is in column A. Then in the first free column, make the first cell 0, and then do in row 2 =IF (A1=A2,1,0) This will then equal zero on the first line of a new number. Then Copy, Paste Special, Values on this column of ones and zeros, and then sort on it. The data at the top will be a unique list of numbers. You can just the...

Converting an MFC 6.0 App to .net problem
I have recompiled an existing MFC 6.0 application in VS .net 2003. Now about every 13th time I run it in debug mode I get a "Unhandled exception at 0x7c901230" error. When I run it using the WinDbg program I get: DBGHELP: ntdll.pdb - file not found *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll - DBGHELP: ntdll - export symbols ntdll!DbgBreakPoint: 7c901230 cc int 3 When I run a release version of the application everything runs fine. Any Ideas? Larry The information you posted regarding symbol files is irrelevant to ...

Sending a macro to another PC-how?

Data validation doesn't work if contents is added by pasting
Hi I've data validation set so that only the number 1 can be entered, but even this cannot be entered if an adjacent cell is a certain value. this works for direct entry, but not if the value is pasted in or added using the "drag handle". Is there any way to stop this happening as I just know somewones going to try and fill all the cells by draging the values down. Regards Jeff Jeff, You could disable "Allow cell drag and drop" in Tools | Options or... copy the following code, right click the sheet tab and choose 'view code'. Paste the code into the modu...

Sending mail from remote location

cannot move messages
Sometimes when I attempt to move a message from the inbox to a storage folder I receive the following error message - "An unknown error has occured. The selected message(s) could not be moved." Why am I receiving this message and how can this problem be corrected? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks What kind of mail account is it? POP3, IMAP or HTTP? Both IMAP and HTTP accounts synchronize with the mail server, so moving a message from the mail account to the storage folder requires that WLM tell the mail server to delete the message from the server ma...

Send and Recieve Fix

windows xp logon with personal application
hey cn ne 1 help me to start my application before login in windows xp ,and want my application to logon to user account i want to use. ...

Unable to send?

Sending messages in Outlook

No Permission to Send/Receive Email???

Send Do Not Send

urgent (high importance) messages #2
Is there a way to remove the high importance flag from messages sent through Exchange 2003? We have a number of users that always set this flag even though the subject matter of the message is not important at all. Thanks Might be, in one of the policies that are Outlook/Office based? Sorry can't be more specific than that... JeffG On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:53:03 -0800, "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to remove the high importance flag from messages sent through >Exchange 2003? > >We have a number of users that always set ...

Automatic Data Changes
I have a work sheet that I use to monitor dates. I need to track up to 5 dates at a time. I would like my worksheet to update automaticaly when I change the dates. Let me explain. The data in A4 through A12 never changes. The data in B4 through B12 changes weekly. I need to track the last 5 changes made to B4 through B12. ex. Lets say B4=10/20/09. I then change B4 to 11/2/09. I want the data from B4 to go to C15. so C15 will be 10/20/09. Then when I change B4 to 11/16/09, I want C15 to automatically update to 11/2/09 and C16 to update to 10/20/09. and so on for 5 dates....

View other BU data
Hi, Let say there are 4 BU define in my systems and name it as BU1 up to BU4 accordingly. And each BU has manager and sales person that is different from other BU. Is it possible that BU1 manager can see all lead, opportunity for BU2? But BU2 manager cannot see the BU1 lead and opportunity?? Thx, Carrie Hi, yes it is possible by using different security roles for the two different sales managers (they have different access rights and should therefore have different roles). It is also possible using BU hierarchy and placing the managers in a aggregate BU or in the bottom one dependin...

Exchange 2003, Windows Server 2003, Data Centre Environment
Interesting title to a somewhat uninteresting post. I've just signed up for this, using the Windows Live Mila desktop beta, and just want to test things are working ok! Hello! Adam Laslett wrote: > Interesting title to a somewhat uninteresting post. > I've just signed up for this, using the Windows Live Mila desktop beta, > and just want to test things are working ok! > > Hello! > SOB. ...

Wizard Application
Hi All, I have a Wizard Application which has three Property Sheet and Each of Different size and 1st page has only 3 radio button and so I need the fonts of this page to be much bigger but second & third page has lot of contents so i cannot use the same font in all page & will be using default fonts size. How Dyamically changing the font on a Wizard Application. 1) Is it Possible to Resize the window for each page with respect to its size in wizard appln. 2) How to dymanically create a font and write the static text in wiz app. Appriciate you to come back to me at the earliest and ...

Sending on behalf... Exchange 2003

What was Outlook sending?

Linking spreadsheets and creating new lines of data
I just finished creating a very large workbook with over twelve years of daily market data. The first spreadsheet in the workbook contains historical data of 16 market indicators. The next 15 spreasheets use data from the 16 market indicators found on the first spreadsheet. I'm trying to automate the process I go through daily updating the spreadsheets with the most current data. For example, say tomorrow morning I manually entered todays S&P 500 Closing Price in cell A4051 on the first spreadsheet. The second spreadsheet has several formulas that use the number entered in cell A...