How to get the sectors/clusters of a particular file?

Hi,

How to get the sectors/clusters of a particular file?
I am working on Windows 2000.

Hoping to get a reply soon.
TIA.

regards,
Jahfer V P.
0
JahferVP (4)
6/21/2005 6:33:02 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

No particular way I know of. If you have certain privileges you might be able to use
DeviceIoControl(), but there isn't much you can do with this information.
					joe

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:33:02 -0700, "Jahfer V P" <JahferVP@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>How to get the sectors/clusters of a particular file?
>I am working on Windows 2000.
>
>Hoping to get a reply soon.
>TIA.
>
>regards,
>Jahfer V P.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
6/21/2005 4:02:55 PM
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:33:02 -0700, Jahfer V P wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How to get the sectors/clusters of a particular file?
> I am working on Windows 2000.

I think you can use the defragmentation API for that. See:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/SDelete.html
http://www.sysinternals.com/Information/DiskDefragmenting.html

--
Doug Harrison
Microsoft MVP - Visual C++

Reflecting info between an excel file and a word one or two excel file.
I have an Excel file that I use as a database with the dates of the time when my company does the maintenance of our electronics tools (we work in an industry that uses them a lot, we have around 200 in an Excel file). So the documents look as follows (the images are copied and edited in paint, that's why they look kinda weird). They are next to each other; I divided it here in order to fit it to word's format (it's in Spanish, there's no need for you to understand what it says anyway): Go to www.caladeamerica.com.ar/1st file.jpg please and see it. We do the maintenance of...

How do I import a WORD file into EXCEL? #2
I'd like to import a WORD table to Excel but when I go to "Select Data Source", only other EXCEL files show, not my WORD files but the Help function indicates that all files should be showing. I've selected "Text Files" from the Data Source; I've tried "All File Types" with no luck. Anybody have a clue for me? ..signed, an Excel Idiot......thanks! File>open and select all files or copy and paste -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "MauiMama" <MauiMama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27741FDC-23BA-478D-98AC-21760...

isv.config file rollback
I have an issue with the isv.config file. I customized it, adding a couple of buttons to the toolbar section under quote. Every now and again, the isv.config file reverts back to an older version of the file, which does not have my customizations. Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Is there some setting that I may have forgotten to set? The isv.config is just a file so it won't revert on it self. However if you import an xml customization file this may contain a blank isv.config. -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer ...

PDF file #9

Conditional linked files
Hi, I have two files (a master and a detail) in which I pull through a column from the detail to the master, using "=[Detail.xls]Sheet1!$A$2" However I would like to configure the spreadsheets so that only data which meets a condition is pulled in the master, in other words using pseudo code as follows. If [link] in detail.xls = yes then display in master. I realise that the condition statement will probably need to sit in the master file but have no idea how this is done or whether possible at all. Any ideas? Mark -- madiba --------------------------------------------------...

Same file exists when I run Optimizer
Dear Sir/Madam, While I was running the Optimizer to utilize free space I met a error message during moving the files C:\exchsrvr\imcdata into D:\exchsrver\imcdata " There is the same file, ...., in the destination.". But I could see for sure that there was No files in the destination. Could you let me know how to fix it? Thanks a lot in advance. KC "�̱�ö" <kclee@jcsworld.com> wrote: >While I was running the Optimizer to utilize free space I met a error >message during moving the files C:\exchsrvr\imcdata into >D:\exchsrver\imcdata " There is...

A Crystal Beginner

Exchange 2003 Load balance and cluster
We have two identical machines that we want to load balance and cluster for exchange 2003. the load balance does not want to start. any reason why? Oh yah. I guess my question is that if it is possible to run the laod balance and the cluster on the same two servers "Ashu" wrote: > We have two identical machines that we want to load balance and cluster for > exchange 2003. the load balance does not want to start. any reason why? No,does not support NLB and cluster on same machine! You should rub cluster with your exchange 2003! -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Ashu" &l...

file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open by an
We have shared files on a network drive. When a file is open by one user, and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked for editing message and open the file read only. This works great for some users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook. Is there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in excel? Hello Leslie, You could try sharing the workbook. With the Excel workbook open, choose Tools from the menu. Choose Share W...

I can not open doc file attachments from outlook express 6.0
I can not open doc file attachments in outlook express 6.0 Error message - There is not enough memory to open file All other attachments eg: jpeg etc are fine I have already increased my paging memory. >-----Original Message----- >I can not open doc file attachments in outlook express 6.0 >Error message - There is not enough memory to open file >All other attachments eg: jpeg etc are fine=20 >I have already increased my paging memory. >. > These Newsgroups address Office Outlook issues. Outlook Express gurus hang out here: http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/def...

Get paid while you get online!!

Bad Sectors
What does it usually mean when I run a disk scan for bad sectors on c drive and the result is "Windows was unable to complete the disk scan" The symptom is a blue screen saying that there is most likely a bad piece of hardware. Gary From: "Gary" <nospam@ntr.net> | What does it usually mean when I run a disk scan for bad sectors on c | drive and the result is "Windows was unable to complete the disk scan" | The symptom is a blue screen saying that there is most likely a bad | piece of hardware. | Gary It means replace the hard di...

Save & File
My company just switched from Lotus Notes to Outlook. In Notes I was able to "Send and Save" in one keystroke, sending the message and choosing a file (that is already set up by catagories I need) and it was saved there. Is there is a similar (i.e. quick) way to do it in Outlook? Thank you. You can use rules to copy messages after send. JMac wrote: > My company just switched from Lotus Notes to Outlook. In Notes I was able to > "Send and Save" in one keystroke, sending the message and choosing a file > (that is already set up by catagories I need...

Converting Outlook files #2
Hi, In a magazine article that I read, it said that when moving from Outlook 2002 or earlier to Outlook 2003, you should convert the file to the new format that is found in 2003, but how can I do that BTW. I don't want to loose all of the documents and setting that are already associated with the current file -- Thank you in Advance Merci a l'Avance Martin In Outlook 2003, File->New->Outlook Data File->Type->Personal Folders File. Do not select the 97-2002 format. Then drag and drop your folders from the old to the new. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Unzip Files
How do I unzip files contained in an email using Windows Office 2000? You have to download the pkzip app, or an equivalent eg winzip, from one of the shareware sites http://www.winzip.com/ eg David "Rita" <coolbird46@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:388519F6-8A1F-4661-952A-6BBDB9E78E5B@microsoft.com... > How do I unzip files contained in an email using Windows Office 2000? ...

Checking specific text string in excel files stored in a folder
Hi, I need to write a code that can do the following: 1) prompt user to select a particular folder 2) search for a particular text string, for e.g., ABCD in all the excel files in that folder (the number of files in the folder will vary and so does the names of the files). Is it possible to specify the string that we want to search on the fly when macro is run? 3) create a simple report that contains the filename in one column and yes / no in the second column that tell me which file names contain that keyword (it will be great if the path of the file can be recorded in the 3rd colum...

Intersting issue regarding msg files
I have a client using Outlook 2003. Scenario: 1. Client creates a message (default format is HTML) and saves it as a draft. 2. Client then drags and drops message from draft folder into a network location. File has .msg extension. 3. Another user then double clicks on the msg file, and makes some live changes to it and then clicks SEND 4. Message is sent but none of the changes were made. The client used to do this with Outlook Express and never had a problem. Now that they are using Outlook 2003 this problem has surfaced. Any ideas? TIA KIWI ...