How to Detect and prevent CD burn

HI,
How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect the
event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my
file from CD burn.

plz reply soon.

regds
vinay sheel
vinays@aditi.com

0
v.sheel (31)
1/19/2004 9:16:31 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Vinay wrote:
> HI,
> How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect the
> event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my
> file from CD burn.

You can restrict access to a file only to a certain users through
NT/win200 access privileges. You can encrypt a file and therefore
restrict access to a file only to those who can decrypt it. However
once the file is accessed you can't prevent the user from doing
anything it wants, including read/copy operations. CD burn is a read
operation (from original file's point of view).

0
mac1 (347)
1/19/2004 9:39:24 AM
As with the response Mihajlo Cvetanovic suggested, the access permissions
and or encryption/decryption is probably your best bet.  With current USB
devices, it's not just CDRs you need to worry about in your case.

--
Frank

"Vinay" <v.sheel@mailcity.com> wrote in message
> HI,
> How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect
the
> event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my
> file from CD burn.
>
> plz reply soon.
>
> regds
> vinay sheel
> vinays@aditi.com

Hi,
plz can u send me API  or event list which detects CD burn.Actually i want
to restrict  the User to the CD burn based on files.I meant user shouldn't
be able to burn all the files in the system.I want to catch the files name
,which user has selected for burn from my system,before CD burning start.

Plz reply soon.
regds
vinay

"Vinay" <v.sheel@mailcity.com> wrote in message
> HI,
> How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect
the
> event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my
> file from CD burn.
>
> plz reply soon.
>
> regds
> vinay sheel
> vinays@aditi.com

0
v.sheel (31)
1/19/2004 12:56:34 PM
There is no "CD Burn API". Windows does not send a WM_CDBURN or something
like that.
Windows doesn't even know about CD writers I think. It just sees it as a
serial device, whether it is a CD writer, USB memory stick, floppy drive,
etc. There are device drivers that know, but for your information, once
people have your file on USB memory stick or something else, they'll be able
to write it to a CD, with or without a PC!

As people suggested, no matter where you write it to, windows has a READ
operation. A CD writer software reads a file, then talks to the CD writer
with some API that could be device driver/hardware dependent, so once your
file is read, you can not know what is done with it, perhaps converted to a
garbled WAV file, and sent out your speaker, who cares.

You can detect file access for read operation, using windows message hooks,
which can detect the ReadFile API, and probably catch which application is
trying to access what file, like VirusScanners do.
But, such software that has to run to PREVENT access, is only as good as the
program runs. And I don't see how you can keep a program from being shut
down.

You must protect your file, not try to sit between the file and the CD
writer, because the file can travel many other ways onto the CD writer,
including reading your file, copying it to another name, then writing it
onto the CD back into its original name, or whatever. And the only way to
protect your file is encryption.
Even if you'd use NT User security, simple harddrive image scanning tools
can reveal access to your files if people have physical access to your
computer. Encryption is the best way.

Lisa

> Hi,
> plz can u send me API  or event list which detects CD burn.Actually i want
> to restrict  the User to the CD burn based on files.I meant user shouldn't
> be able to burn all the files in the system.I want to catch the files name
> ,which user has selected for burn from my system,before CD burning start.
>
> Plz reply soon.
> regds
> vinay
>
> "Vinay" <v.sheel@mailcity.com> wrote in message
> > HI,
> > How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect
> the
> > event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure
my
> > file from CD burn.
> >
> > plz reply soon.
> >
> > regds
> > vinay sheel
> > vinays@aditi.com

0
no6060 (315)
1/19/2004 2:46:09 PM
copy "My Protected File Name" "asdfhjlsdfgyuqweryuio"

and the file name becomes unknown to your program.

"Vinay" <v.sheel@mailcity.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> plz can u send me API  or event list which detects CD burn.Actually i want
> to restrict  the User to the CD burn based on files.I meant user shouldn't
> be able to burn all the files in the system.I want to catch the files name
> ,which user has selected for burn from my system,before CD burning start.
>
> Plz reply soon.
> regds
> vinay

0
alegr (1131)
1/19/2004 4:14:02 PM
Just a guess...
If it is possible to be notified when a folder has changed  maybe you can
use that possibility for the temp directory of  your CD_RW?
Normand

"Vinay" <v.sheel@mailcity.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
ef12J0m3DHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> HI,
> How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect
the
> event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my
> file from CD burn.
>
> plz reply soon.
>
> regds
> vinay sheel
> vinays@aditi.com

0
NoEmail9920 (149)

OWA premium 2003 prompts for office CD?

How can I prevent Publisher from cutting off an Excel chart?
Publisher resizes the chart I import -- no matter which "paste special" option I use. Using Office 2003 / 2007 Beta. Try an insert instead. Insert, object, scroll down to the program, tick from file... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Yertle" <Yertle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F62BE6A1-91C2-4B4D-977D-87FA52B1E29A@microsoft.com... > Publisher resizes the chart I import -- no matter which "paste special" > option I use. Using Office 2003 / 2007 Beta. ...

How to detect changes in a column?
If I have a table with sales forecast data (columns) like Customer, Amount and Status, what would be the best way to track changes in this table so I can compare my forecast week after week? -- inomata ------------------------------------------------------------------------ inomata's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18938 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493571 ...

MultiWorkbook Change Event Detection / Spell Checker
Excel 2003 or 2007. Looking to be able to force spell checking whenever any cell content is is changed. I've been successful on a single workbooks by adding Spell Check execution on Worksheet_Change. I'm hoping to take this one step further - make it an 'Add-In' so the check will run for any workbook. It looks like the Worksheet_Change event only triggers for the host workbook so an 'Add-in' will not do the job. Any suggestions to force spell checking on a change for any workbook/worksheet I modifiy? TIA, - Pat The way I would go about this i...

detect and repair
my outlook 2002 had some hyperlink problems which were corrected when i used the 'detect and repair' option in help. now i have lost my addresses and all the e-mail that was in my inbox. How do i recover these items? Check this page for all you need to know: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Mark Conner" <mdconner@prodigy.net> wrote ...

A restriction in the system prevented delivery of the message
Good day, we have Exchange Server 2000 on Windows 2000 server and als of we enables exytermessage copy from certain user to some external email address. When someone from outside try to send an email to user where the copy was enabled the sender receive an undelivery message that says: Your our message To: ...... Subject: ..... Sent: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:15:33 +0100 did not reach the following recipient(s): ..... on Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:20:08 +0100 A restriction in the system prevented delivery of the message. The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=us;a= ;p=.......;l=IMC05...

Duplicate detection detecting inactive records?
Is there any way to configure duplicate detection to not look at inactive records? I can't find any way to set this on the rules. Thank you! ...

Saving on CD
how do I save on a cd-rw without getting read only? ...

How to Detect and prevent CD burn
HI, How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect the event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my file from CD burn. plz reply soon. regds vinay sheel vinays@aditi.com Vinay wrote: > HI, > How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect the > event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my > file from CD burn. You can restrict access to a file only to a certain users through NT/win200 access privileges. You can encrypt a file and therefore restrict access to a file on...

prevent save when closing a form
Hi, access 2003: I make a form on the fly with the createForm function. when the user closes the application I do not want this form to be saved. Is there a way to prevent the save form dialog for unsaved forms when closing the application? regards Rob "R.Warning" <RWarning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F558744A-4217-4D7C-9DCF-CA77A4DC686D@microsoft.com... > Hi, > access 2003: > I make a form on the fly with the createForm function. > when the user closes the application I do not want this form to be saved. > Is there a way to prevent the...

How to prevent "Not Responding" on lengthy operations
How do you prevent a program from looking like it's crashed when it's doing some number crunching ? (i.e. when it is doing something lengthy, the screen doesn't update and Windows sometimes decides to add "not responding" to the bar at the top, even though it's still working away) I assume I have to perform an update window of some sort, but I'm not sure how (dialog and SDI). Any help appreciated. -- Phil Phil wrote: > How do you prevent a program from looking like it's crashed when it's > doing some number crunching ? This is an inev...

My Computer not detecting my external harddrive
I have a IDE hard drive with USB casing and connected to my USB port. The problem is the hard drive partitions are not shown up in My computer. But My Computer->Manage->Storage->Disk management shows the hard drive with 3 partitions and all the three are healthy.I know there are a few bad sectors. I am sure I have not made any changes in registry that prevents drives from being shown. Please help me. Do the partitions have drive letters assigned? karthikaravind wrote: > I have a IDE hard drive with USB casing and connected to my USB port. > The problem is the ha...

Prevent BadMail NDR's
We have an SBS 2003 server using Postini for blocking spam. Here's the situation. Lately, we've been receiving a lot of BadMail NDR's to every account in the organization. This is what I believe is happening... A spoofed spam e-mail is being sent out to an unknown address in our organization. Postini catches it as spam and sends out its notification of "First Junk Email Safely Quarantined" to that non-existant address. Since its non existant, a BadMail NDR is being generated to the organization and we are all receiving it somehow. Anyone have an idea of how to prevent th...

prevent unwanted toolbars from appearing
When I open XL 2002 (Win2k) workbooks previously saved by others with different toolbar settings, unwanted toolbars, such as Web or Reviewing, pop up in all my open workbooks. Is there a way to prevent these toolbars from appearing unless requested by me? z.entropic Actually, the worksheets in question contain links to other worksheets, and that's what's causing the Web toolbar to appear automatically when the workseet is opened. How to prevent XL from being too smart? z.entropic "z.entropic" wrote: > When I open XL 2002 (Win2k) workbooks previously saved by ot...

GUID is not detected by server .& cannot go offline...SFO.
why is the server not detecting the GUID attached to the subject line of email...what could be the problem... Also i am not able to go offline ..I get an error Domain canot be contacted or does not exist... Any sugestions... Thanks a million. ...

Mic not detected
I upgraded from Vista to W7 when it first came out. I have just recently realized that it apparently cut off the mic and I cannot record anything. I can still hear cd's.etc. I did not discover this until I tried to send a video message to my son who just got deployed to Iraq. Dell customer support has been useless thus far. Thanks for any suggestions as to how to fix this problem. On May 17, 11:51=A0am, "andy jones" <jandy78...@aol.com> wrote: > I upgraded from Vista to W7 when it first came out. I have just recently > realized that it apparently cut...

Outlook prevents sending email to contact
Hey, a) I am using CRM 4.0 and Outlook 2007 b) Contact X does not allow us to send him any formal mail (therefore we have set him to have do not allow email, bulk mail or send marketing materials). However, we / I occasionally have to contact this person via mail with informal information. Problems is, that Outlook does not allow us to send mail even if the "track in crm" button is not chosen/active. What could cause this problem? Sometimes sending mail works, sometimes not. Does this have something to do with address book synchronization? Any help would be greatly apprec...

How to prevent users deleting mail
We have an exchange 2003 server and about 65 clients, My management wants to prevent all users from deleting mail as some important data has gone missing. any ideas as i havnt been able to find anyting at all. yours Paul It is not possible to prevent deletion of the message. You can retain all messages with the help of Message Journaling feature. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261173 Paul K wrote: > We have an exchange 2003 server and about 65 clients, My management wants to > prevent all users from deleting mail as some important data has gone missi...

detecting which control has focus
I have an application that I am writing and I need to be able to detect which control has focus (I am using edit controls). I figured out how to set the focus by creating a member control variable and using the setfocus() function, but how do detect which control has focus? There is a getfocus() in the control member variable, but I have been unsuccessful in using it? I am using the PreTranslateMessage(MSG* pMsg) function to detect when the Return key is pressed and then I automatically go the the next edit control, but I want to do different code depending on which Edit control has focus a...

Prevent invalid chars in editbox
Hello, I have an editbox in a dialog where the user is only allowed to enter integers. However, I cannot simply set the number flag in the resource editor because the user must be able to enter negative integers too. Therefore, I didn't create it with that flag. Instead I subclassed CEdit and redefined OnKeyDown(): void NumberEditBox::OnKeyDown(UINT nChar, UINT nRepCnt, UINT nFlags) { static const std::string valid_chars = "0123456789-"; if (valid_chars.find(nChar) != std::string::npos) { TRACE1("%c is a valid char\n", (char)nChar); CEdit...

Cannot detect previous login you need to run frontstep crm at least once
We have a user who was on extended leave for a few months and now when ever he opens up outlook 2000 sr-1 on his computer (Windows 98se) he gets a message that "Cannot detect previous login you need to run frontstep crm at least once. Front step outlook extension will be disabled for current outlook session." When I say OK you get another message that "The add-in "psExcExt.dll" could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by useing detect and repair in the help menu. Unable to load "psExcExt.dll" you may be out of memory or out ...

Record is locked (deadlock was detected)
when trying to run a CM Transaction I get "A get/change next operation on table 'CM_Transaction' deadlock was detected. when I click on more details i am given the following. [microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Transaction (process ID 77) was deadlocked on thread | communication buffer resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Return the transaction. currently I have ensured that no one is logged in. I view the odb.dex_lock table in the tempDB and cleared it. At this point I can run a reconciliation with no errors where I ...

Intrusion detection
I have an employee who I think is tapping into my mailbox. In Admin, under Mbx resources, her name is attached to my account periodically. The logon time was attached to my mailbox for 10 minutes or so, then after logoff, she logged directly onto hers. She also mentioned something to me the other day that could only have been known by reading an email in my inbox. She has Service Account admin in Exchange at the Server, Site, and Container levels. How can I find out definitively if she is looking at my mail? Thanks!! Change her permissions - any reason she (or anyone) needs ser...

How to setup MFC memory leak detection
Hi, All of my past projects have been begun as generic MFC applications, and I'm used to getting object dump messages when I close an app that has memory leaks. Right now, however, I'm working on an app that did not start out as an MFC app (it's actually a visual studio project generated by the Qt code generator, though I don't think that matters here); rather, it's a general C++ project. My question is: how do I setup whatever is needed so that I can get back those nice object dump messages. I've already altered the project settings to include MFC. What else do I need...

Ftp : how to detect a Time Out
Hello everybody, I use MFC classes CInternetSession and CFtpConnection to open a permanent connection to a ftp server. But this server disconnect me after a given time. Can I detect a time out from the server on the client side (my code !) ? Or should I test directly an internet handle ? Thanks very much for your help. cyril.delmas@gmail.com wrote: > I use MFC classes CInternetSession and CFtpConnection to open a > permanent connection to a ftp server. But this server disconnect me > after a given time. Can I detect a time out from the server on the > client side (my code !) ? ...