How to copy a dialog resource from an EXE to a DLL

Does anyone know how to do this? I tried using the sample code in MSDN,
condensed below. Using the IDE I looked at "result" and it was true. All the
preceding variables appeared to have valid handles. But when I check the
second instance of "DlgStep1Resource", it is NULL.

Can anyone help me.

Thank you very much.

void	CImportController::SetResource(UINT DlgResourceID)
{
	HGLOBAL			DlgStep1ResourceHandle;
	HMODULE			ParentModule;
	HRSRC			DlgStep1Resource;
	HANDLE			hdlUpdateResource;
	LPVOID			pTemplate;

	ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportPrototype.exe");

	DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);

	DlgStep1ResourceHandle = ::LoadResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);

	pTemplate = (LPVOID) ::LockResource(DlgStep1ResourceHandle);

	hdlUpdateResource = ::BeginUpdateResource("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL",
FALSE);

	DWORD ressize = SizeofResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);

	BOOL result = ::UpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource,       // update resource
handle
							MAKEINTRESOURCE(RT_DIALOG),                   // change dialog box
resource
							MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID),                  // dialog box name
							MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL),  // neutral language
							pTemplate,                   // ptr to resource info
							ressize); // size of resource info.

	result = ::EndUpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource, FALSE);

	// See if the dialog really got copied
	ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL");

	DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
}

0
Jay1 (212)
1/10/2008 4:23:04 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Tyr LoadLibraryEx with the LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE option and see if you get a better
result.

This seems to be a convoluted way to get a resource into a DLL.  Also, see below...

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:23:04 -0800, Jay <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to do this? I tried using the sample code in MSDN,
>condensed below. Using the IDE I looked at "result" and it was true. All the
>preceding variables appeared to have valid handles. But when I check the
>second instance of "DlgStep1Resource", it is NULL.
>
>Can anyone help me.
>
>Thank you very much.
>
>void	CImportController::SetResource(UINT DlgResourceID)
>{
>	HGLOBAL			DlgStep1ResourceHandle;
>	HMODULE			ParentModule;
>	HRSRC			DlgStep1Resource;
>	HANDLE			hdlUpdateResource;
>	LPVOID			pTemplate;
>
>	ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportPrototype.exe");
>
>	DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
>MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
>
>	DlgStep1ResourceHandle = ::LoadResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);
>
>	pTemplate = (LPVOID) ::LockResource(DlgStep1ResourceHandle);
>
>	hdlUpdateResource = ::BeginUpdateResource("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL",
>FALSE);
****
_T() around string constants.
****

>	DWORD ressize = SizeofResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);
>
>	BOOL result = ::UpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource,       // update resource
>handle
>							MAKEINTRESOURCE(RT_DIALOG),                   // change dialog box
>resource
>							MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID),                  // dialog box name
>							MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL),  // neutral language
>							pTemplate,                   // ptr to resource info
>							ressize); // size of resource info.
>
>	result = ::EndUpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource, FALSE);
****
And where did you do the FreeLibrary?
****

>	// See if the dialog really got copied
>	ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL");
>
>	DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
>MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
****
I see no "second instance" here; I do see a second assignment to the first instance. Also,
did you try to open the DLL using VS to see what its resources now are?  Note that you are
using LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL, but is that the language that is being used for
FindResource?  You may be putting it out in one language and reading it with your default
language, so it isn't found.
				joe
****
>}

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
1/10/2008 5:29:06 PM
Out of curiosity, what's the purpose?

Serge.
http://www.apptranslator.com - Localization tool for your MFC applications

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to do this? I tried using the sample code in MSDN,
> condensed below. Using the IDE I looked at "result" and it was true. All
> the
> preceding variables appeared to have valid handles. But when I check the
> second instance of "DlgStep1Resource", it is NULL.
>
> Can anyone help me.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> void CImportController::SetResource(UINT DlgResourceID)
> {
> HGLOBAL DlgStep1ResourceHandle;
> HMODULE ParentModule;
> HRSRC DlgStep1Resource;
> HANDLE hdlUpdateResource;
> LPVOID pTemplate;
>
> ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportPrototype.exe");
>
> DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
> MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
>
> DlgStep1ResourceHandle = ::LoadResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);
>
> pTemplate = (LPVOID) ::LockResource(DlgStep1ResourceHandle);
>
> hdlUpdateResource = ::BeginUpdateResource("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL",
> FALSE);
>
> DWORD ressize = SizeofResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);
>
> BOOL result = ::UpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource,       // update resource
> handle
> MAKEINTRESOURCE(RT_DIALOG),                   // change dialog box
> resource
> MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID),                  // dialog box name
> MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL),  // neutral language
> pTemplate,                   // ptr to resource info
> ressize); // size of resource info.
>
> result = ::EndUpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource, FALSE);
>
> // See if the dialog really got copied
> ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL");
>
> DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
> MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
> }

0
serge69 (63)
1/10/2008 9:53:09 PM
Thank you, Joe, for giving it a shot. I followed your prescription, including
correcting the language IDs (should be LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US).

The FreeLibrary is missing for two reasons: 1. It wasn't in the Microsoft
sample. Imagine that. 2. I'm prototyping, running the IDE 10 times a minute,
so don't care about memory at the moment. I put it in anyway just to dot all
my i's.

Regarding my reference to a "second instance" - I did mean second assignment
to first instance.

Thank you again,

Jay
P.S. I agree it is a convoluted way to get a resource into a DLL (at
runtime) but that is what Microsoft tells me to do. For reasons why I need to
do this see my reply to the second person who posted a reply to my question.

"Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:

> Tyr LoadLibraryEx with the LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE option and see if you get a better
> result.
>
> This seems to be a convoluted way to get a resource into a DLL.  Also, see below...
>
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:23:04 -0800, Jay <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to do this? I tried using the sample code in MSDN,
> >condensed below. Using the IDE I looked at "result" and it was true. All the
> >preceding variables appeared to have valid handles. But when I check the
> >second instance of "DlgStep1Resource", it is NULL.
> >
> >Can anyone help me.
> >
> >Thank you very much.
> >
> >void	CImportController::SetResource(UINT DlgResourceID)
> >{
> >	HGLOBAL			DlgStep1ResourceHandle;
> >	HMODULE			ParentModule;
> >	HRSRC			DlgStep1Resource;
> >	HANDLE			hdlUpdateResource;
> >	LPVOID			pTemplate;
> >
> >	ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportPrototype.exe");
> >
> >	DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
> >MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
> >
> >	DlgStep1ResourceHandle = ::LoadResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);
> >
> >	pTemplate = (LPVOID) ::LockResource(DlgStep1ResourceHandle);
> >
> >	hdlUpdateResource = ::BeginUpdateResource("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL",
> >FALSE);
> ****
> _T() around string constants.
> ****
> >
> >	DWORD ressize = SizeofResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);
> >
> >	BOOL result = ::UpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource,       // update resource
> >handle
> >							MAKEINTRESOURCE(RT_DIALOG),                   // change dialog box
> >resource
> >							MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID),                  // dialog box name
> >							MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL),  // neutral language
> >							pTemplate,                   // ptr to resource info
> >							ressize); // size of resource info.
> >
> >	result = ::EndUpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource, FALSE);
> ****
> And where did you do the FreeLibrary?
> ****
>

> >	// See if the dialog really got copied
> >	ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL");
> >
> >	DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
> >MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
> ****
> I see no "second instance" here; I do see a second assignment to the first instance. Also,
> did you try to open the DLL using VS to see what its resources now are?  Note that you are
> using LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL, but is that the language that is being used for
> FindResource?  You may be putting it out in one language and reading it with your default
> language, so it isn't found.
> 				joe
> ****
> >}
> >
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Jay1 (212)
1/10/2008 10:52:01 PM
The purpose is to construct an import wizard framework consisting of four
dialogs, that last three of which are generic (put in a DLL) to any appl
using the framework (either an EXE or another DLL). Unlike dialog 2-4, dialog
1 in the framework has a generic, default implementation but I want this one
to be overriden by different applications that can have custom requirements.

Resources to not enjoy the polymorphic behavior that their companion classes
enjoy. So while I can set a class with it's custom message map on top of the
frame to complete a four-step import process, the dialog resource for that
class does not port the same way.

I need to have my framework dynamically execute any custom dialog class with
its resource as that 1st dialog in the 4-step import wizard.

Unfortunately, when the framework invokes the DoModal() for that custom
class given to it, there isn't a dialog resource to display. The references
are in place e.g. resource ID in tied to the custom dialog within the
framework DLL, but the actual resource won't copy to the framework DLL. So
nothing displays.

Jay

"Serge Wautier" wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what's the purpose?
>
> Serge.
> http://www.apptranslator.com - Localization tool for your MFC applications
>

> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know how to do this? I tried using the sample code in MSDN,
> > condensed below. Using the IDE I looked at "result" and it was true. All
> > the
> > preceding variables appeared to have valid handles. But when I check the
> > second instance of "DlgStep1Resource", it is NULL.
> >
> > Can anyone help me.
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > void CImportController::SetResource(UINT DlgResourceID)
> > {
> > HGLOBAL DlgStep1ResourceHandle;
> > HMODULE ParentModule;
> > HRSRC DlgStep1Resource;
> > HANDLE hdlUpdateResource;
> > LPVOID pTemplate;
> >
> > ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportPrototype.exe");
> >
> > DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
> > MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
> >
> > DlgStep1ResourceHandle = ::LoadResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);
> >
> > pTemplate = (LPVOID) ::LockResource(DlgStep1ResourceHandle);
> >
> > hdlUpdateResource = ::BeginUpdateResource("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL",
> > FALSE);
> >
> > DWORD ressize = SizeofResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);
> >
> > BOOL result = ::UpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource,       // update resource
> > handle
> > MAKEINTRESOURCE(RT_DIALOG),                   // change dialog box
> > resource
> > MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID),                  // dialog box name
> > MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL),  // neutral language
> > pTemplate,                   // ptr to resource info
> > ressize); // size of resource info.
> >
> > result = ::EndUpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource, FALSE);
> >
> > // See if the dialog really got copied
> > ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL");
> >
> > DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
> > MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
> > }

0
Jay1 (212)
1/10/2008 11:01:08 PM
As a followup to my problem we can put this one in the ground. The code will
work when copying resources from an EXE to anotherer EXE but for some reason
we cannot copy a resource from an EXE to a DLL.

Now, we can compile resources into a DLL...sooooo, why can't we put
resources into a DLL at runtime like we would an EXE?

That is just a rhetorical question.

The answer I want to give would be neither professional nor appropriate for
this forum. But it has to do with 20+ years of experience programming in a
Microsoft environment.

Thank you,

Jay

"Jay" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to do this? I tried using the sample code in MSDN,
> condensed below. Using the IDE I looked at "result" and it was true. All the
> preceding variables appeared to have valid handles. But when I check the
> second instance of "DlgStep1Resource", it is NULL.
>
> Can anyone help me.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> void	CImportController::SetResource(UINT DlgResourceID)
> {
> 	HGLOBAL			DlgStep1ResourceHandle;
> 	HMODULE			ParentModule;
> 	HRSRC			DlgStep1Resource;
> 	HANDLE			hdlUpdateResource;
> 	LPVOID			pTemplate;
>
> 	ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportPrototype.exe");
>
> 	DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
> MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
>
> 	DlgStep1ResourceHandle = ::LoadResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);
>
> 	pTemplate = (LPVOID) ::LockResource(DlgStep1ResourceHandle);
>
> 	hdlUpdateResource = ::BeginUpdateResource("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL",
> FALSE);
>
> 	DWORD ressize = SizeofResource(ParentModule, DlgStep1Resource);
>
> 	BOOL result = ::UpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource,       // update resource
> handle
> 							MAKEINTRESOURCE(RT_DIALOG),                   // change dialog box
> resource
> 							MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID),                  // dialog box name
> 							MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL),  // neutral language
> 							pTemplate,                   // ptr to resource info
> 							ressize); // size of resource info.
>
> 	result = ::EndUpdateResource(hdlUpdateResource, FALSE);
>
> 	// See if the dialog really got copied
> 	ParentModule = ::LoadLibrary("ImportWizardFrameworkD.DLL");
>
> 	DlgStep1Resource = FindResource(ParentModule,
> MAKEINTRESOURCE(DlgResourceID), RT_DIALOG);
> }

0
Jay1 (212)

Mso9.DLL
I am using Windows XP Professional on which I installed Office 2000 and subsequently installed Outlook 2002 which came with my new iPaq4700 installation CD. Now I can no longer merge files with Word 2000 and I keep getting an error message that Outlook needs to restart because it can't find Mso9.DLL. Can this be fixed? Thank you ...

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Macros do not appear in Macro dialog box
I create a macro by choosing Tools > Macro > Macros, entering a name, and clicking Create. In the editor I write the code, then return to Publisher and save the file. But when I choose Tools > Macro > Macros again, the created macro does not appear. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks gwasson <gwasson@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I create a macro by choosing Tools > Macro > Macros, entering a name, > and clicking Create. In the editor I write the code, then return to > Publisher and save the file. But when I choose Tools...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

local copy of mail

Secondary Copy

Strange MFC Extension DLL Loading Behavior
Hi - Whenever TechExcel's DevTrack 5.6 is running on the same machine as our application, our app. loads some of DevTrack's DLLs into its addresss space. At least one of the DLLs is an extension DLL and it causes resource conflicts with our app. I used the AppWizard to generate a simple MFC app and same thing happens. The generated app can bring up DevTrack dialogs just by creating dialogs with the conflicting IDs What gives Thanks Art ytw wrote: >Hi - > >Whenever TechExcel's DevTrack 5.6 is running on the same machine as our application, our app. loads some of ...

Outlook 2000 SP3

Copy picture ossice wizard

Multiple modal dialog or ::MessageBox, crashes the application
Hi, We have an application, in which we need to show multiple modal dialog boxes at the same time. But, when we close these modal dialog boxes, the application crashes. The messagebox is invoked as shown.. ::MessageBox(hWndParent, m_strMsg, g_strTitle, MB_TASKMODAL | MB_SETFOREGROUND ); Here is the call stack.. 524.84c): C++ EH exception - code e06d7363 (first chance) (524.494): Access violation - code c0000005 (first chance) First chance exceptions are reported before any exception handling. This exception may be expected and handled. eax=001804ee ebx=00fb4cd0 ecx=0012d5f8 edx=7ffeff0...

subtotal copy and paste

"Normal" store.exe CPU load?
Hi, Is there a "normal" cpu usage rate for store.exe? I have a 2 proc (3 GHz each) Dell that runs a very light Exchange load and the store.exe runs anywhere from 25-40 all the time. Is that "normal" for such an environment? Thanks, Dan How light is "very light"? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8CE40E29-C5CF-4BDA-B161-71759FA445E9@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Is there a "normal" cpu usage rate for store.exe? ...

How to manage my these resource?
I have a project with two versions. These two versions have some common resource and at the same time, they have some different resource. I did like that: Put all common resource into myapp.rc file; Put all different resource into myapp.rc2 file #ifdef _VERSION_A resource for A #endif #ifdef _VERSION_B resource for B #endif But in my EVC++ IDE, Resource Tab, I only can see the common resource and edit them. In this case, how to manage my resource? I don't want to create another new project! Thanks Nicky wrote: >I have a project with two versions. These...

Copying graphs

Copying Views

Having a go with assembly... how do I copy a double into a register??
I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. Now if I declare my doubles as floats float f double d _asm { mov edx, f //ok mov edx, d //error operand size conflict Can someone show me the error of my ways??? Thanks "Si" <me@you.twang> wrote in message news:sm1gk0l60ng23gilu9b68hkcqi3ub9horn@4ax.com... > > > I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much > iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. > > Now if I de...

enterprise resources in which table of which database
when i add resource from active directory to resource center .and i want to know in which database and in which table it will saved first. -- It should be in the Published and the Reporting database. In the tables labeled "..Resource" Jonathan "Basim" <Basim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B443F9A1-E8FD-4DF5-A347-A13A626EDE67@microsoft.com... > when i add resource from active directory to resource center .and i want > to > know in which database and in which table it will saved first. > > > -- > ...

EXCEL FILE a copy/a copy/a copy ....filename
when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file itself so my file name of a file i save 7 times can have 7 'a copy' in it eg c./my doc/a copy/a copy/ a copy..............a copy/xx.xls Is the file saved as Read Only? Do you get a message on opening asking you if it's read only? Regards, Alan. "ve" <ve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88C3DEBA-2C2E-4DF0-978B-F823E120458A@microsoft.com... > when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file > itself so my file name of a file i save ...

copy of treeview
Hello, I have to copy information from a treeview to another treeview... The first TreeCtrl is in a dialog and the second it's in another dialog. The application is Dialog Based and I use my oen solution of property sheet. So if I want to call something from another dialog i make i this way: CResultsPageDlg resDlg((CMyAppDlg*)theApp.GetMainWnd()); resDlg.CopyTreeview(m_TreeView.GetRootItem(), m_TreeView.GetRootItem()); useing the solution from http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/treeview/dragdrop/article.php/c657/ Somebody knows how to do that? Alex What is CopyTreeview method...

everything I copy from explorer end up green in Excel How can I c.
How can I change this to copy the actual colors from the html file ??? "Sacs" wrote: > ...

Copy to Clipboard from Excel 2003
Hi, I run Office 2003. In Excel, I consistently have problems with copying information from cells. The following happens: - I select a numeric cell and do a ctrl+c, message from Excel "cannot empty the clipboard". Item does not appear on clipboard " - I select a text cell and do a ctrl+c, message from Excel "an error occured while trying to retrieve information from another program. Try working with your message again". When I OK this message, it appears one more time and when I OK a second time, the item is placed on the clipboard. I do run a very useful app call...