How to convert a Chinese registry value from within a US code page?

First of all, our Win32 MFC VC++ app is not written in Unicode as it should
have been. Given that - it reads uninstall information from the windows
Uninstall registry tree and writes it to a report. It writes out the
displayname of the application.

Normally this is not a problem, but when it encounters a Chinese application
name, it displays the name as question marks. I assume this is because the
string is in Unicode in the registry, but our app is not Unicode so it can't
represent the characters.

Unfortunately for the moment, converting this very large app to Unicode is
not an option.

How can we (or can we at all?) convert these "????" strings to their actual
Chinese characters?

We have the Chinese character support added via the control panel's Regional
Settings, so we can see the Chinese chars correctly when we view them in
RegEdit, etc., even though our current regional settings are for US.
(changing the regional settings via the control panel to Chinese is not an
option). It's just our app that returns the ????? chars.

We've tried explicitly calling RegQueryValueExW to read the value, but it
still comes back to us as '????'.

Is it possible to read a unicode string from the registry from a non-unicode
application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0
mfindlay (14)
7/24/2007 6:55:24 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Mark Findlay" <mfindlay@speakeasy.org> wrote in message

> We've tried explicitly calling RegQueryValueExW to read the value, but it
> still comes back to us as '????'.

Using WCHAR (wchar_t) explicitly and calling the ...W() versions of API
functions should work if you do it consistently.   (You also have to make
sure that when you look at it, you are using a font which has all the
relevant unicode characters.)

Do the Watch Windows in VS2005 display wchar_t strings including Chinese
characters?   I believe they do - certainly I can see the musical flat
symbol which is somewhere on another planet in the unicode set.    (I don't
know for sure, but I'll bet this doesn't work in Visual Studio 6.)

> Is it possible to read a unicode string from the registry from a
> non-unicode application?

Because of the history of my application I am using a mixture of  CHAR,
WCHAR and (as much as possible) TCHAR with the appropriate routines to
handle each.  It now works when compiled with and without the UNICODE flag.
I have always used the standard registry functions with TCHAR but everything
else has worked fine and so I have no doubt that the registry functions will
work too if you do it consistently.

Dave
--
David Webber
Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor'

dave9996 (486)
7/24/2007 8:57:54 AM
Hi,
I understand that you would like to know if you can have your non-Unicode
Win32 application display Chinese characters.
If I have misunderstood, please let me know.

From my research, it seems hard to resolve it by programming. I wrote a
Win32 console program and tried using setlocale(LC_ALL,".936") function,
however it had no effect.
This issue should be related to the display device which require your
changing reginonal settings so that it can support displaying Chinese
characters.
As a workaround, you may change the regional settings, however you need not
change the main regional settings but just change "Language for non-Unicode
programs" to "Chinese (PRC)" in Advanced tab. This modification requires
your rebooting your computer.

I will also consult the development team to see if they can give me some
suggestions on programmatically resolve this issue, however the process may
need a long time. You may just leave me (changliw_at_microsoft_dot_com) an
email response so that I can timely update you if I get a response from
development team.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications

If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the check box
"Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply promptly.

from this issue.

changliw (164)
7/24/2007 9:55:28 AM
Thank you Charles,

I will send a separate email to the address you provided below and stand by
for any responses.

Many thanks!
Mark

"Charles Wang[MSFT]" <changliw@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I understand that you would like to know if you can have your non-Unicode
> Win32 application display Chinese characters.
> If I have misunderstood, please let me know.
>
> From my research, it seems hard to resolve it by programming. I wrote a
> Win32 console program and tried using setlocale(LC_ALL,".936") function,
> however it had no effect.
> This issue should be related to the display device which require your
> changing reginonal settings so that it can support displaying Chinese
> characters.
> As a workaround, you may change the regional settings, however you need
> not
> change the main regional settings but just change "Language for
> non-Unicode
> programs" to "Chinese (PRC)" in Advanced tab. This modification requires
> your rebooting your computer.
>
> I will also consult the development team to see if they can give me some
> suggestions on programmatically resolve this issue, however the process
> may
> need a long time. You may just leave me (changliw_at_microsoft_dot_com) an
> email response so that I can timely update you if I get a response from
> development team.
>
> Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or
> concerns.
>
> Best regards,
> Charles Wang
> Microsoft Online Community Support
> ications
>
> If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the check box
> "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply
> promptly.

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from this issue.
> rights.

mfindlay (14)
7/24/2007 3:06:40 PM
As someone else pointed out, call the W versions of the registry APIs in
order to retrieve strings in Unicode.

When you call WideCharToMultiByte you can specify what code page to use.
You can convert them to Chinese ANSI strings.  But if you display these in a
window that uses a US-English code page, the results will look like garbage.
If you don't use Unicode, you'll have to make sure that all parts of your
application are on the same code page.

"Mark Findlay" <mfindlay@speakeasy.org> wrote in message
> First of all, our Win32 MFC VC++ app is not written in Unicode as it
> should have been. Given that - it reads uninstall information from the
> windows Uninstall registry tree and writes it to a report. It writes out
> the displayname of the application.
>
> Normally this is not a problem, but when it encounters a Chinese
> application name, it displays the name as question marks. I assume this is
> because the string is in Unicode in the registry, but our app is not
> Unicode so it can't represent the characters.
>
> Unfortunately for the moment, converting this very large app to Unicode is
> not an option.
>
> How can we (or can we at all?) convert these "????" strings to their
> actual Chinese characters?
>
> We have the Chinese character support added via the control panel's
> Regional Settings, so we can see the Chinese chars correctly when we view
> them in RegEdit, etc., even though our current regional settings are for
> US. (changing the regional settings via the control panel to Chinese is
> not an option). It's just our app that returns the ????? chars.
>
> We've tried explicitly calling RegQueryValueExW to read the value, but it
> still comes back to us as '????'.
>
> Is it possible to read a unicode string from the registry from a
> non-unicode application?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

0
ndiamond1 (258)
7/25/2007 12:16:46 AM
Hi Mark,
Thanks for your email response.

I got it. Once there is a response, I will timely update you. Appreciate
your patience!

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications

If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the check box
"Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply promptly.

from this issue.

changliw (164)
7/25/2007 7:03:20 AM
Hello Mark,

why not use 'IMultiLanguage' interface (comes with IE 4), with functions
'ConvertStringFromUnicode' and 'ConvertStringToUnicode'.
With this interface, you are independant from the current process local ...

Rolf

"Mark Findlay" <mfindlay@speakeasy.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> First of all, our Win32 MFC VC++ app is not written in Unicode as it
> should have been. Given that - it reads uninstall information from the
> windows Uninstall registry tree and writes it to a report. It writes out
> the displayname of the application.
>
> Normally this is not a problem, but when it encounters a Chinese
> application name, it displays the name as question marks. I assume this is
> because the string is in Unicode in the registry, but our app is not
> Unicode so it can't represent the characters.
>
> Unfortunately for the moment, converting this very large app to Unicode is
> not an option.
>
> How can we (or can we at all?) convert these "????" strings to their
> actual Chinese characters?
>
> We have the Chinese character support added via the control panel's
> Regional Settings, so we can see the Chinese chars correctly when we view
> them in RegEdit, etc., even though our current regional settings are for
> US. (changing the regional settings via the control panel to Chinese is
> not an option). It's just our app that returns the ????? chars.
>
> We've tried explicitly calling RegQueryValueExW to read the value, but it
> still comes back to us as '????'.
>
> Is it possible to read a unicode string from the registry from a
> non-unicode application?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

Hi Mark,
I have got the response from the Dev team. They would like to know how your
report was being created and displayed.
In my test, I used a Console application which is a non-Unicode program.
However they confirmed that there was no good day to display the data if
your display device was non-Unicode.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or
concerns.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications

If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the check box
"Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply promptly.

from this issue.

changliw (164)
7/26/2007 7:02:10 AM
Hi Mark,
Sorry for delaying the response.

After many communications with the Dev team, I finally resolve this issue
via the following code:
int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{

                wchar_t* subKey = L"Software\\MyTest";
                HKEY nSubKey;
                BYTE data[256];
                wchar_t keyValue[256];
                DWORD nLen = 256;
                LONG nUnicodeLen=256;
                BYTE nUnicode[2] = {0xff,0xfe};

if(RegOpenKeyExW(HKEY_CURRENT_USER,subKey,NULL,KEY_ALL_ACCESS,&nSubKey)==ERR
OR_SUCCESS)
                {
                                if(RegQueryValueExW(nSubKey,
L"Test",NULL,NULL,data,&nLen)==ERROR_SUCCESS)
                                {
                                                basic_filebuf<BYTE>
wOutFile;

wOutFile.open("c:\\output_bf.txt",ios_base::out |
ios_base::trunc|ios_base::binary);
                                                if(!wOutFile.is_open())
                                                {
                                                                cout <<
"Error Opening c:\\output_bf.txt\n";
                                                                return -1;
                                                }
                                                wOutFile.sputn(nUnicode,
(streamsize)2);
                                                wOutFile.sputn(data,
(streamsize)nLen);
                                                wOutFile.close();

                                                printf("Output
length:%d",nLen);
                                }
                }
                getchar();

                return 0;
}

The registry key value is written into the text file in binary and the BOM
(Byte Order Mark) value 0xfffe let your text editor know that it is a
Unicode file, so when you open the file in Notepad, the Chinese characters
can be displayed correctly.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel
free to let me know.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support

from this issue.

changliw (164)

Hyperlink behavior Word 2007: correct page but wrong part of page
I've searched a lot of place but have not even seen anyone else having this problem. Document is a multi-page Word 2007 form template with hyperlinks for navigation. In most cases clicking a hyperlink will take you to the correct page, and the top of the page displays. However on some pages, it either displays the bottom of the page and/or the top of the next page. Sometimes the cursor is in the first form field of the following page. With the template open, view field codes, show bookmarks and show text boundaries, I still can't see what might be causing this behavi...

Is there a registry key to specify the idle time before tracking info is processed?
Hello, In Outlook, read receipts and delivery notifications are processed in idle time, which seems to be about 1-2 minutes. Anyone know if a registry key specifies the exact idle time? We're looking to reduce it, like to zero if feasible! Thanks, - Alan. How did you come to this conclusion? Receipts are processed immediately = when using Exchange. Perhaps you need to specify your environment. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, Alan asked: | Hello, |=20 | In Outlook, read receipts and de...

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

How do I keep from printing blank pages in excel?
I'm trying to print only rows containing nonzero values in a specific column. I can filter the data to show only rows with nonzero values but I am then forced to reset my print area or I get blank pages. Is there an easier way? Thanks. You could press Ctrl-* to select just the current region, then use Print Selection, rather than simply Print. You can probably even record a macro incorporating those steps to speed it up. "Davbwalker" wrote: > I'm trying to print only rows containing nonzero values in a specific column. > I can filter the data to show only r...

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

largest value of field in query output
I have a query that pulls all the records from a table. For example, the query outputs the following: TITLE REV POSITION DATE methodA / 0 / tech / july 5 methodA / 1 / tech / july 10 methodB / 0 / tech / july 5 methodB / 1 / tech / july 10 methodB / 2 / tech / july 12 methodC / 0 / tech / july 6 methodC / 1 / ...

Cell Value vs Status Box Value
The cell value is not the same as the vlaue in the status box, e.g., status box shows 6147; cell value shows 64147 (format was with commas). Any suggestions/ideas? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ awarner1 <<awarner1.11hdg3@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote in news:awarner1.11hdg3@excelforum-nospam.com: > The cell value is not the same as the vlaue in the status box, e.g., > status box shows 6147; cell value shows 64147 (format was with commas). > Any suggestions/ideas? What is the number format of the cell? -- My email address has an extra @ (spell ...

Can no longer send links or pages via email from IE
Hi all, I have tried to find information about a problem that has recently manifested itself on my XP Pro machine but either my googling skills are failing me or I'm just using the wrong search terms. When I File ... Send .... Link by email from IE 6, Outlook no longer constructs an email with a link but creates an attachment with names like att13B.tmp which I, possibly incorrectly, regard as useless. I have the same issue with 'page by email'. Does anyone know what causes this problem and if there's a fix ? I'm running Outlook 2002 SP3. I apologise if this is an Int...

(Publisher 2003) How do I get the two pages to print on to one pag
I need 2 pages to print on one page. I did see on a document that someone else made on my computer that the page indicators (at the bottom left; to switch between the two pages) that the folded part of the 2nd page was turned a different way, and I know that's exactly what I need to do, but I'm not sure how to. Help please? Thanks! Vampressjaden In Publisher 2000 (may be the same for other versions) File Page Setup Special fold Horizontal It will ask you if you want 4 pages - yes -- Don Vancouver, USA "Vampressjaden" <Vampressjaden@discussions.micros...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Color Coding Email Listings
Hi All, Without using the Followup function. Is there a way to color code the email listings. Mac's are good for this, and Eudors on PC. I may want to highlight an email with color codes... and the entire listing being highlighted is a better visual then the followup flag. And these items really aren't being highlighted for followup.. just for more important future reference. Thanks -Dave Dave Bar <d@d.com> wrote: > Without using the Followup function. > Is there a way to color code the email listings. See if these help: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/colore...

1 Cell 2 Values?
Hello All, Is it possible in excel to have it return two values in one cell separated by a comma and spaces? For example I want it to count the number of times in a month the value was positive and the number of times a value was negative and in the cell I want it to show A1: +, - Is this possible? Thanks to all, Shhhh Shhhh wrote... >Is it possible in excel to have it return two values in one cell separated >by a comma and spaces? > >For example I want it to count the number of times in a month the value was >positive and the number of times a value was negative a...

Can I use the value of a field as predeterminate value of another.
I am making a table to know who is working in each surgery in a heath center. For each day, I have a field "owner" (of the surgery) and another "working" (the one that really works that day there). But the majority of the days, the "owner" is who works in his surgery, so I want to establish the value of "owner" as predeterminate value of "working" . Is it possible? Thank you Not directly in the tables. You could do this in a form by making the value of one text box the default value of another text box. -- --Roger Carlson MS Access M...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Getting an integer value (in one line) out of SelectSingleNode from an XMLDoc.
[C# code oriented] Two questions: (1) I can pull the text of an XML element as a string just fine using code as such: strSomeString = myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]", myXmlNSMgr).InnerText; However, the text to be found there is an integer number. I have tried to use just about every casting and conversion method to be able to place that value into an integer variable. This includes code such as: intSomeInt = (int)(strSomeString = myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]", myXmlNSMgr).InnerText); intSomeInt = Convert.ToInt...

Change color of row (Col A thru Col Q) based on text value in Col J
I am using David McRitchie's code for changing color of entire row based on contents based on a specified cell text value: 'Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 36'. This works fine; however, I only want to change color in the first 17 cells in each of the affected rows. How do I do this? Also, I am confused: do I want the stmt 'Application.EnableEvents = True' at the top of my coding in the 'Worksheet_Change' event coding (occupies the Sheet1 Module)? One way: Target.EntireRow.resize(1,17).Interior.ColorIndex = 36 JingleRock wrote: > > I...

XML Note convert to DataSet

inserting current time absolute value
hey everyone I'm trying to create a formula that when something is entered in one cell the current time is stamped in another cell. So far here's what I came up in my C4 cell =IF(A4<>"", NOW()-TODAY(), "") When something is entered in cell A4, the current time enters in at cell C4. I copied the formula by using fill down, but when I enter in something in the next cell of A5, cell C5 and C4 gets updated with the same current time, when i enter the something in A6, cells C6, C5, C4 gets updated with the same time and ETC, ETC How would I use absolute valu...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Sharing Outlook Emails within Workgroup PCs
Hi, I have set up a workgroup with 3 PCs, of which two desktops run on Windows XP Home and one laptop runs on Windows XP Professional. Microsoft Office 2003 has been installed on all the three machines. My question is: How can I share emails among the PCs in these workgroup without the usage of a server? Is additional software needed for this purpose? If yes, what are the best ones with a balance between quality and costs? Any other suggestions for this purpose? Thanks in advance for your advices. Kenneth Wong wrote: > Hi, > > I have set up a workgroup with 3 PCs, of which t...