How do I use .Create on a control class?

For example, I want to progamatically add a CEdit to the main dialog in a
dilaog based app.  So, I declare a CEdit object called skill, then I call
skill.Create(<style flags>, <rect>, <CWnd*>, etc...
The question is this, where do I get the CWnd* ?  I can declare one, but
what do I initialize it to?  I have tried using "this" as my CWnd* but if I
do that, the control does not show up in the dialog.  I did specify WS_CHILD
and WS_VISIBLE in my style flags.  What am I doing wrong?
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

CWnd* is the base class of CDialog*, just pass it 'this' (self reference
pointer)

- MR

"Mkennedy1102" <Mkennedy1102@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For example, I want to progamatically add a CEdit to the main dialog in a
> dilaog based app.  So, I declare a CEdit object called skill, then I call
> skill.Create(<style flags>, <rect>, <CWnd*>, etc...
> The question is this, where do I get the CWnd* ?  I can declare one, but
> what do I initialize it to?  I have tried using "this" as my CWnd* but if
> do that, the control does not show up in the dialog.  I did specify
> WS_CHILD
> and WS_VISIBLE in my style flags.  What am I doing wrong?

0
markyr (30)
2/4/2005 11:47:35 PM
Mkennedy1102 wrote:
> For example, I want to progamatically add a CEdit to the main dialog in a
> dilaog based app.  So, I declare a CEdit object called skill, then I call
> skill.Create(<style flags>, <rect>, <CWnd*>, etc...
> The question is this, where do I get the CWnd* ?  I can declare one, but
> what do I initialize it to?  I have tried using "this" as my CWnd* but if I
> do that, the control does not show up in the dialog.  I did specify WS_CHILD
> and WS_VISIBLE in my style flags.  What am I doing wrong?

The CWnd* must point to the CEdit's parent window.  This will be the
window it appears on and sends notifications to.  So if your code is in
the main dialog class 'this' is the correct thing to pass.

If that is not working you have a second problem.  Did you make "skill"
a member variable?  Post a bit of code if that doesn't work.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
2/4/2005 11:55:35 PM
As I mentioned, I used "this" but the new control does not appear

"Mark Randall" wrote:

> CWnd* is the base class of CDialog*, just pass it 'this' (self reference
> pointer)
>
> - MR
>

> "Mkennedy1102" <Mkennedy1102@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I have tried using "this" as my CWnd* but if  I  do that, the control does not show >>up in the dialog.  I did specify WS_CHILD and WS_VISIBLE in my style flags.  What >>am I doing wrong?

No, I declared skill within the function that theoretically should create
it....I will try that.

"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" wrote:

> Mkennedy1102 wrote:
> > For example, I want to progamatically add a CEdit to the main dialog in a
> > dilaog based app.  So, I declare a CEdit object called skill, then I call
> > skill.Create(<style flags>, <rect>, <CWnd*>, etc...
> > The question is this, where do I get the CWnd* ?  I can declare one, but
> > what do I initialize it to?  I have tried using "this" as my CWnd* but if I
> > do that, the control does not show up in the dialog.  I did specify WS_CHILD
> > and WS_VISIBLE in my style flags.  What am I doing wrong?
>
> The CWnd* must point to the CEdit's parent window.  This will be the
> window it appears on and sends notifications to.  So if your code is in
> the main dialog class 'this' is the correct thing to pass.
>
> If that is not working you have a second problem.  Did you make "skill"
> a member variable?  Post a bit of code if that doesn't work.
>
> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

I made "skill" a member variable and it works great, thanks!!

"Mkennedy1102" wrote:

> No, I declared skill within the function that theoretically should create
> it....I will try that.
>
> "Scott McPhillips [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Mkennedy1102 wrote:
> > > For example, I want to progamatically add a CEdit to the main dialog in a
> > > dilaog based app.  So, I declare a CEdit object called skill, then I call
> > > skill.Create(<style flags>, <rect>, <CWnd*>, etc...
> > > The question is this, where do I get the CWnd* ?  I can declare one, but
> > > what do I initialize it to?  I have tried using "this" as my CWnd* but if I
> > > do that, the control does not show up in the dialog.  I did specify WS_CHILD
> > > and WS_VISIBLE in my style flags.  What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > The CWnd* must point to the CEdit's parent window.  This will be the
> > window it appears on and sends notifications to.  So if your code is in
> > the main dialog class 'this' is the correct thing to pass.
> >
> > If that is not working you have a second problem.  Did you make "skill"
> > a member variable?  Post a bit of code if that doesn't work.
> >
> > --
> > Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Creating a link to open an application...
We have an Access 2000 application that we wna to have automatically generate emails to users. In the body of this email, it would be nice if we could provide a link the user can click on which would then open up the Access application (the user may or may not have the application open at the time), and possibly bring up the record in question they want to be viewing ( a cust service job#). The email notifies the user there is a customer service related issue they need to look into. Each cust service issue is assigned a number, so if we could somehow pass the job# to the Access app from the ...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Manufacturing: Quality Control
Hi, Our client got online and finished product inspection. Great Plains does not support it? Does anyone know of a work around or came across this situation before? Thanks in advance Khalid We usually recommend the Extender module to add additional information to the manufacturing modules. Extender may be able to accomplish what you want. "K M Dhariwal" wrote: > Hi, > Our client got online and finished product inspection. Great Plains does not > support it? Does anyone know of a work around or came across this situation > before? > Thanks in advance > Khal...

Using Spanish on Publisher

Why can't I re-import a registry file created by RegSaveKey(...) under Win 9x?
Hello: I was trying to save a registry key to a file say, "mykey" with help of RegSaveKey(...) [not RegSaveKeyEx(...)]. The file can be re-imported with "Regedit" under WinXP if it is produced under Win XP. But for the same program running under Win 98/95, the files created under these OSs cannot be re-imported. These files cannot be re-imported under WinXP. Can anyone tell me why? The exerpted code is listed below: .... char szSubKey[_MAX_FNAME]; char FileName[_MAX_FNAME]; long rc = 0; HKEY hKey; sprintf(szSubKey, "Software\Mykey"); sprintf(FileName,...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

how do you Create flashing Text
I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to flash or blink. How do I do this? Ask this here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign&cat=en_US_1845e149-582a-4e62-8d76-f1c90f948f44&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "lukieguy22" <lukieguy22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E40D83D-8E98-40A7-ABE1-94307073C79E@microsoft.com... >I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to > flash ...

Using XML with ASP.NET

CRM 4
How to add Navigation controls in Accounts, Contacts and Activities CRM 4.0 forms. Requirement is, have to customize CRM forms to provide navigation controls (First, Previous, Next & Last) in the above mentioned forms. Is there any Webservices or any other possible ways to provide these functionalities? Try this blog post by the people at CWR Mobility: http://www.cwrmobility.nl/weblog/2005/12/adding-nextprevious-buttons-to-entity.html Should work for everything but Activities. -- MD "Ajai" wrote: > How to add Navigation controls in Accounts, Contacts and Activit...

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

Help creating an activity
I'm trying to create a Phone Call activity, but I'm just getting message from the server saying 'SOAP Server Application Faulted'. Here's some sample code (ignore the word wrap)... note that I'm not actually setting the strings manually as shown - they are being generated programmatically - I'm just showing what they actually amount to when the problem occurs. The credentials shouldn't be a problem - I'm using impersonation, and the call to oBizUser.WhoAmI() works fine... ----------- BizUser oBizUser = new BizUser(); oBizUser.Url = "http://lo...

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...