How do i/can i use a CEdit control in an SDI app w/o doc/view architecture

I used the MFC app wizard to generate an sdi app w/o the doc/view
architecture so my CChildView class ends up being derived from CWnd instead
of CView...
I added a CEdit *m_pCEdit member to the CChildView class and in the OnCreate
function i do m_pCEdit = new CEdit(); and then call Create through m_pCEdit,
however the edit control doesn't show up in the window, i've tried setting
the style to WS_VISIBLE|WS_CHILD to no avail. Is there something i'm doing
wrong? i tried using ::CreateWindowEx using this->m_hwnd for the parent
window and that works fine so i've no idea where things are going wrong.

Thanks in advance

0
dark_f8 (11)
8/20/2006 8:24:00 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Add appropriate message map entries to its parent class.

Why do you need a CEdit * anyway?  What's wrong with a CEdit?  It is a common
misconception that you have to allocate this dynamically.  If you want a CEdit control in
whatever class you have, just declare
	protected:
		CWnd c_Edit;
and you have everything you need.  There is no need in such a case to use a CEdit *.

If the window doesn't show up, you might have bogus coordinates for the creation
rectangle.  What coordinates did you use?  How did you determine them?  (Note: if you
hardwired ANY integer value, your code will only run on your machine, with your display
card, with the current version of the driver for your display card, at your current
resolution, with your current set of default fonts.  That sounds more than a little
fragile to me...)

Note that CreateWindowEx (the method, not the API) takes 'this' just fine as a parent
window; there is no need to drop to the raw API.

Of course, you DID check the result of the CreateWindow(Ex) to make sure it worked, didn't
you?  So you are absolutely certain the window WAS created, right?

SHow your code.
					joe
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:24:00 GMT, "Cronus" <dark_f8@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I used the MFC app wizard to generate an sdi app w/o the doc/view
>architecture so my CChildView class ends up being derived from CWnd instead
>of CView...
>I added a CEdit *m_pCEdit member to the CChildView class and in the OnCreate
>function i do m_pCEdit = new CEdit(); and then call Create through m_pCEdit,
>however the edit control doesn't show up in the window, i've tried setting
>the style to WS_VISIBLE|WS_CHILD to no avail. Is there something i'm doing
>wrong? i tried using ::CreateWindowEx using this->m_hwnd for the parent
>window and that works fine so i've no idea where things are going wrong.
>
>Thanks in advance

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15978)
8/20/2006 11:35:46 PM
i sorted it, apperently i messed up two things, firstly i forgot to give it
a a border in it's style argument so it was a white borderless edit control
on a white background, non too clever. and secondly where i was creating it,
the parent windown hadn't actually been created yet, i moved my code to
below the call to the base class and it worked fine

> Add appropriate message map entries to its parent class.
>
> Why do you need a CEdit * anyway?  What's wrong with a CEdit?  It is a
> common
> misconception that you have to allocate this dynamically.  If you want a
> CEdit control in
> whatever class you have, just declare
> protected:
> CWnd c_Edit;
> and you have everything you need.  There is no need in such a case to use
> a CEdit *.
>
> If the window doesn't show up, you might have bogus coordinates for the
> creation
> rectangle.  What coordinates did you use?  How did you determine them?
> (Note: if you
> hardwired ANY integer value, your code will only run on your machine, with
> your display
> card, with the current version of the driver for your display card, at
> your current
> resolution, with your current set of default fonts.  That sounds more than
> a little
> fragile to me...)
>
> Note that CreateWindowEx (the method, not the API) takes 'this' just fine
> as a parent
> window; there is no need to drop to the raw API.
>
> Of course, you DID check the result of the CreateWindow(Ex) to make sure
> it worked, didn't
> you?  So you are absolutely certain the window WAS created, right?
>
> SHow your code.
> joe
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:24:00 GMT, "Cronus" <dark_f8@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I used the MFC app wizard to generate an sdi app w/o the doc/view
>>architecture so my CChildView class ends up being derived from CWnd
>>instead
>>of CView...
>>I added a CEdit *m_pCEdit member to the CChildView class and in the
>>OnCreate
>>function i do m_pCEdit = new CEdit(); and then call Create through
>>m_pCEdit,
>>however the edit control doesn't show up in the window, i've tried setting
>>the style to WS_VISIBLE|WS_CHILD to no avail. Is there something i'm doing
>>wrong? i tried using ::CreateWindowEx using this->m_hwnd for the parent
>>window and that works fine so i've no idea where things are going wrong.
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

dark_f8 (11)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

controls showing up late with ShowWindow?
I have an application I wrote to print some labels to a barcode printer. It works fine, but I noticed that two labels which I hide at design time and then show just prior to printing with WriteFile, act a bit strange. Only one shows up initially and then after printing the other one shows up. I got around this by putting them in the printing loop which loops through all the files though I did not really want to do it that way. Even when I do it this way though the one label loses its sunken property until printing is completed. Any ideas why and how I can fix this. For the time ...

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

Can't send/receive

Sending/exporting Outlook Contacts for use in another computer
I want to send the Outlook Contacts address book from my desktop to use in my laptop. Can it be as simple as copying the whole address book file and replacing the laptop Contacts address book with the new one? Thanks. Bob There is no separate "address book" file. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.microsoft.com...

Can not Customize Leads View

Controlling how user posts a blog
Is it possible to control how items are posted on to a blog? The blog owner would like the readers to be able to respond to his posts but he doesn't want readers to create a new thread. thanks in advance ...

Bulk attachments

Multiple emails w/ same tracking token in one activity?
Is it possible to track an ongoing email conversation as a single activity (assuming tracking token is present and accurate), instead of having each outgoing and incoming email result in a separate activity? One troubleshooting conversation with a contact can end up creating 12 activities in their history. If anyone knows the answer and/or can tell me how to do so, please let me know. Thanks! Afraid not. Each of those seperate emails is a seperate "activity" and thus is tracked seperately. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "SCAB" <SCAB@discussions.microso...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

choose views positions with CSplitterWnd
Hello, My program is an MDI application. I use a CSplitterWnd in my ChildFrame to have two splitted views ( 2 rows, 1 col). When I start my program I ve got one view: View1 Then I split, CSplitterWnd automatically create a new View : View1 NewView My problem is that the new view is inserted after the first one, I would prefer to get: NewView View1 Is it possible to switch the views? Thanks Can you post some code? AliR. "JBB" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:f313cs$vro$1@aioe.org... > Hello, > > My program is an MDI application. > I use a CSplit...

Can not archive

Running simple business using office
Hi, I'm a student and have begun selling some books on amazon. I wanted to develop my business process skills so see it as running a small business. I want to use office to store my 'inventory,' transactions, generate simple invoices and perform some simple analysis e.g. how much i made in a month. (I have student edition with excel and word) I want to keep one data source from which I can perform these tasks. I've got a lot of programming experience but its more from a business process perspective i'm interested. e.g. the best way to store and manipulate the data. I would ...