How create a manifest for a VC++ 5 application?

I have an application developed under VC++ 5 that I want to install properly
under Vista (i.e. not rely on virtualisation etc). I understand that I need
to create a manifest for my program that will specify:

(a) the execution level it requires (which is 'asInvoker')
(b) What code dependencies it has (DLLs it calls into?)

Actually do I even need to bother with (b)?  Is this required for Vista?  Is
it just (a) that I need?

If I do need, (b):  the application (call it XYZ.EXE) is built using the
MFC42.DLL and also the MSVCRT.DLL.  These are installed (using innosetup) in
the system folder.  The other files (including 2 other application DLLs -
call them XYZ1.DLL and XYZ2.DLL) are installed in a program folder under
c:\program files in the normal way.  There's nothing very unusual about the
app.  So for (b) I presumably specify MFC42.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL?  And
XYZ1.DLL and XYZ2.DLL too?

Can anyone tell me how to write a manifest for this?  I understand that I
can use Notepad.  But I have searched all over the place, and I can't find
anywhere that tells you exactly what content I need.

If anyone could post back an example using XYZ_APP.EXE, XYZ_DLL1.DLL etc,
that would be ideal.  Failing that (or as well) can anyone point me to a
simple document that explains it all simply?

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Simon

0
sorde (60)
12/19/2007 10:15:28 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Simon" <sorde@gotadsl.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have an application developed under VC++ 5 that I want to install
>properly under Vista (i.e. not rely on virtualisation etc). I understand
>that I need to create a manifest for my program that will specify:
>
> (a) the execution level it requires (which is 'asInvoker')
> (b) What code dependencies it has (DLLs it calls into?)
>
> Actually do I even need to bother with (b)?  Is this required for Vista?
> Is it just (a) that I need?
>
> If I do need, (b):  the application (call it XYZ.EXE) is built using the
> MFC42.DLL and also the MSVCRT.DLL.  These are installed (using innosetup)
> in the system folder.  The other files (including 2 other application
> DLLs - call them XYZ1.DLL and XYZ2.DLL) are installed in a program folder
> under c:\program files in the normal way.  There's nothing very unusual
> about the app.  So for (b) I presumably specify MFC42.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL?
> And XYZ1.DLL and XYZ2.DLL too?
>
> Can anyone tell me how to write a manifest for this?  I understand that I
> can use Notepad.  But I have searched all over the place, and I can't find
> anywhere that tells you exactly what content I need.
>
> If anyone could post back an example using XYZ_APP.EXE, XYZ_DLL1.DLL etc,
> that would be ideal.  Failing that (or as well) can anyone point me to a
> simple document that explains it all simply?
>
> Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Simon, you don't need (b).  A manifest doesn't specify the DLL's the .exe is
dependent on, such as MFC42.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL.  But what you might be
referring to is "reg-free COM" which is a little known feature of XP (some
say XP SP2) and later which lets you specify which COM components your app
is dependent on, and then if you put those COM component DLL's in the same
folder as your .exe, then you don't need to register them in the registry.
This is really sweet, since registering them requires Admin priviledge and
also more uninstallation work.  But since you don't have any COM components,
you don't need to worry about this.

See
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ba73b169-a648-49af-bc5e-a2eebb74c16b&DisplayLang=en
for manifest examples.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/20/2007 12:23:49 AM
manifest files can be attached by mt.exe which included in platform sdk
binaries.

the code of dll affected the parent process's elevation level.
so, your exe file elevated, DLLs are also elevated.
--
WebSite :
  Realization of Dream { imagine your dream} -  http://rodream.net

WebMail :
  rodream@naver.com

"David Ching" wrote:

> "Simon" <sorde@gotadsl.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I have an application developed under VC++ 5 that I want to install
> >properly under Vista (i.e. not rely on virtualisation etc). I understand
> >that I need to create a manifest for my program that will specify:
> >
> > (a) the execution level it requires (which is 'asInvoker')
> > (b) What code dependencies it has (DLLs it calls into?)
> >
> > Actually do I even need to bother with (b)?  Is this required for Vista?
> > Is it just (a) that I need?
> >
> > If I do need, (b):  the application (call it XYZ.EXE) is built using the
> > MFC42.DLL and also the MSVCRT.DLL.  These are installed (using innosetup)
> > in the system folder.  The other files (including 2 other application
> > DLLs - call them XYZ1.DLL and XYZ2.DLL) are installed in a program folder
> > under c:\program files in the normal way.  There's nothing very unusual
> > about the app.  So for (b) I presumably specify MFC42.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL?
> > And XYZ1.DLL and XYZ2.DLL too?
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to write a manifest for this?  I understand that I
> > can use Notepad.  But I have searched all over the place, and I can't find
> > anywhere that tells you exactly what content I need.
> >
> > If anyone could post back an example using XYZ_APP.EXE, XYZ_DLL1.DLL etc,
> > that would be ideal.  Failing that (or as well) can anyone point me to a
> > simple document that explains it all simply?
> >
> > Any help with this would be very much appreciated.
> >

> Simon, you don't need (b).  A manifest doesn't specify the DLL's the .exe is
> dependent on, such as MFC42.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL.  But what you might be
> referring to is "reg-free COM" which is a little known feature of XP (some
> say XP SP2) and later which lets you specify which COM components your app
> is dependent on, and then if you put those COM component DLL's in the same
> folder as your .exe, then you don't need to register them in the registry.
> This is really sweet, since registering them requires Admin priviledge and
> also more uninstallation work.  But since you don't have any COM components,
> you don't need to worry about this.
>
> See
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ba73b169-a648-49af-bc5e-a2eebb74c16b&DisplayLang=en
> for manifest examples.
>

> -- David

0
rodream (49)
12/20/2007 1:11:01 AM
DLLs are not "elevated" because that is meaningless.  A DLL is just a DLL, and it works at
whatever the intergrity level of the process is.  A DLL could not run at a different
intergrity level than the code, because a DLL is not a process, and integrity level is
associated solely with the concept of process.  The same applies to .ocx files, which are
just DLLs.
				joe

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:11:01 -0800, rodream <rodream@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>manifest files can be attached by mt.exe which included in platform sdk
>binaries.
>
>the code of dll affected the parent process's elevation level.
>so, your exe file elevated, DLLs are also elevated.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
12/20/2007 4:41:04 PM
Hi

Thank you to those who responded to my earlier email.  I ended up creating a
manifest file, using the follow text which I copied from an example I found
on the Internet (I change the app name to "XYZ" and the description also,
but other than that its unchanged):

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="X86"
 name="XYZ" type="win32"/>
<description>Useful Software</description>
   <!-- Identify the application security requirements. -->
   <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
        <security>
            <requestedPrivileges>
                <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker"
uiAccess="false"/>
            </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
   </trustInfo>
</assembly>

This is similar to the one in the document David Ching referred to, but it
uses v3 where that document has v2 (hey - why not?  The Internet version had
v3.  Sounds better than v2 to me...).

It seems to work OK, but I've no idea if it actually is OK.  The document
"Windows Vista Application Development Requirements for User Account
Compatibility" tells you how to embed it in your application using mt.exe,
but then says that there is a bug in mt.exe which (until fixed) affects XP.
It tells you you can get round the bug by explicitly adding "version tags"
to the manifest, but it doesn't tell you how to do that (it gives you a
'sample' which is no help at all).  My copy of mt.exe came with the Visual
2008 SDK.  Is the problem fixed?  I can't find any more mentions of this
issue anywhere.  Also, the document that mentions the bug doesn't tell you
what the symptoms of it are, so I can't test it.

The manifest, embedded in my app, seems to do the job for Vista (i.e.
prevents virtualisation - I think!) and XP seems OK with it too, as far as I
can tell.  But I would like to know for sure that it definitely _is_ OK.  Is
there anyone there who can tell me?  Any help very much appreciated.

Simon

P.S.  Just a reminder - I can't get VisualStudio to generate manifests for
me, because I'm using VC5 and back then, they hadn't been invented.  S

> DLLs are not "elevated" because that is meaningless.  A DLL is just a DLL,
> and it works at
> whatever the intergrity level of the process is.  A DLL could not run at a
> different
> intergrity level than the code, because a DLL is not a process, and
> integrity level is
> associated solely with the concept of process.  The same applies to .ocx
> files, which are
> just DLLs.
> joe
>
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:11:01 -0800, rodream
> <rodream@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>manifest files can be attached by mt.exe which included in platform sdk
>>binaries.
>>
>>the code of dll affected the parent process's elevation level.
>>so, your exe file elevated, DLLs are also elevated.
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

sorde (60)
12/21/2007 7:54:00 PM
> Hi
>
> Thank you to those who responded to my earlier email.  I ended up creating
> a manifest file, using the follow text which I copied from an example I
> found on the Internet (I change the app name to "XYZ" and the description
> also, but other than that its unchanged):

> <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
>    <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="X86"
> name="XYZ" type="win32"/>
> <description>Useful Software</description>
>   <!-- Identify the application security requirements. -->
>   <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
>        <security>
>            <requestedPrivileges>
>                <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker"
> uiAccess="false"/>
>            </requestedPrivileges>
>        </security>
>   </trustInfo>
> </assembly>
>
> This is similar to the one in the document David Ching referred to, but it
> uses v3 where that document has v2 (hey - why not?  The Internet version
> had v3.  Sounds better than v2 to me...).
>
> It seems to work OK, but I've no idea if it actually is OK.  The document
> "Windows Vista Application Development Requirements for User Account
> Compatibility" tells you how to embed it in your application using mt.exe,
> but then says that there is a bug in mt.exe which (until fixed) affects
> XP. It tells you you can get round the bug by explicitly adding "version
> tags" to the manifest, but it doesn't tell you how to do that (it gives
> you a 'sample' which is no help at all).  My copy of mt.exe came with the
> Visual 2008 SDK.  Is the problem fixed?  I can't find any more mentions of
> this issue anywhere.  Also, the document that mentions the bug doesn't
> tell you what the symptoms of it are, so I can't test it.
>
> The manifest, embedded in my app, seems to do the job for Vista (i.e.
> prevents virtualisation - I think!) and XP seems OK with it too, as far as
> I can tell.  But I would like to know for sure that it definitely _is_ OK.
> Is there anyone there who can tell me?  Any help very much appreciated.
>
> Simon
>
> P.S.  Just a reminder - I can't get VisualStudio to generate manifests for
> me, because I'm using VC5 and back then, they hadn't been invented.  S

Simon, here are some links describing the XP bug (it blue screens or hangs
the PC when loading your .exe with the manifest).

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=463884&SiteID=1
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=921337

The solutions boil down to using the newer mt.exe or going back to the v2
version in the xmlns tag.

It sounds like in addition to making sure your .exe correctly runs on Vista,
that it also runs on XP as well.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/21/2007 10:37:23 PM
David

thanks for that.  There didn't seem to be a consensus on whether using v2 or
v3 made any difference.  Some said it did, some said it didn't.  Many MS
apps use v3 apparently.

Any idea how I can get hold of the 'newer' mt.exe?  I installed VS2008 which
includes the SDK and that has the OLD version of mt.exe (i.e. version no.
5.2.3790.2075 - although dated 27 Sep 2007 oddly enough).  I installed that
SDK because I assumed it would be the latest one.  How do I get a newer
version than that?

One useful thing I discovered was that you could use mt.exe to extract your
manifest from your exe.  I checked mine and there is no duplication of the
xmlns tag that supposedly causes the problems.  I haven't seen any crashes
so far with XP or Vista with my app (with its embedded v3 manifest), and it
does appear that it is not being virtualised in Vista.  Does that mean I'm
OK?

Simon

"David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>> prevents virtualisation - I think!) and XP seems OK with it too, as far
>> as I can tell.  But I would like to know for sure that it definitely _is_
>> OK. Is there anyone there who can tell me?  Any help very much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> P.S.  Just a reminder - I can't get VisualStudio to generate manifests
>> for me, because I'm using VC5 and back then, they hadn't been invented.
>>

> Simon, here are some links describing the XP bug (it blue screens or hangs
> the PC when loading your .exe with the manifest).
>
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=463884&SiteID=1
> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=921337
>

> The solutions boil down to using the newer mt.exe or going back to the v2
> version in the xmlns tag.
>
> It sounds like in addition to making sure your .exe correctly runs on

0
Simon2 (16)
12/22/2007 7:41:32 AM
"Simon" <Simon2@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> David
>
> thanks for that.  There didn't seem to be a consensus on whether using v2
> or v3 made any difference.  Some said it did, some said it didn't.  Many
> MS apps use v3 apparently.
>
> Any idea how I can get hold of the 'newer' mt.exe?  I installed VS2008
> which includes the SDK and that has the OLD version of mt.exe (i.e.
> version no. 5.2.3790.2075 - although dated 27 Sep 2007 oddly enough).  I
> installed that SDK because I assumed it would be the latest one.  How do I
> get a newer version than that?
>
> One useful thing I discovered was that you could use mt.exe to extract
> your manifest from your exe.  I checked mine and there is no duplication
> of the xmlns tag that supposedly causes the problems.  I haven't seen any
> crashes so far with XP or Vista with my app (with its embedded v3
> manifest), and it does appear that it is not being virtualised in Vista.
> Does that mean I'm OK?

In VS2005 SP1, I found mt.exe in the following folders:

SDK\v2.0\Bin            5.2.3790.2075
VC\bin                       5.2.3790.2075
Common7\Tools\bin   6.0.4071.0

I did not find mt.exe in VS2008 (folder c:\program files\<vs2008
installdir>) or any of it's subfolders!  I don't know where mt.exe is in
VS2008.

Anyway, if you have VS2005, use the one on Common7\Tools\bin.

I would think you are OK if you've verified there is no duplicate xmlns tag
in the manifest, and that your .exe loads OK in XP.  If it also does not
virtualize directories in Vista, I would think you're good to go.

Cheers,
David

0
dc2983 (3206)

create a roster

Is there a formula to show $5,000,000 as $5M?
I am looking for an easy way to convert $M values to eliminate the 6 zeros. Thanks. You could try something like this: =IF(RIGHT(A1,6)="000000",A1/1000000&"M",A1) unless someone has a better idea.... Sheila "ExcelHelp" wrote: > I am looking for an easy way to convert $M values to eliminate the 6 zeros. > > Thanks. Another option: =TEXT(A1,"$ #,, ""M""") Another option would be to keep the value in the cell, and use a similar Custom format. -- Dana DeLouis Win XP & Office 2003 "ExcelHelp" <...

User prompted for password 5 times
One of my users is experiencing a very odd (at least to me) behavior. He is logged into his XP system which is joined to our Active Directory, no problems there. When he launches Outlook hs is prompted for his password for some reason. He has to enter his password and click OK, then repeat this step 5 times before it lets him in. Any thoughts? Thanks I'm having a similar problem. Also running XP and Outlook 2003. Did you get any answers? I haven't tried to authenticate 5 times but that should not be the answer! Right? >-----Original Message----- >One of my users is ex...

Task Create - Status

Create external database

Spell Check #5
On some replys I get "Spell checker was unsuccessful. Do you still want to send?" We are using Outlook 2002 and Exchange 2000 Thank you for any help Shelley So, what is the question? On some emails you mis spell amd some you don't. Thom It say it was Unsucessful.. It did not say Spell check complete >-----Original Message----- >So, what is the question? On some emails you mis spell >amd some you don't. > >Thom >. > I sent the message "hi" and got the same message here - just started today. Any real help Thom? ...

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

Creating an ad book

Access unable to create an MDE

552 5.5.3 Too many recipients
The e-mail system limits the number of recipients that can be addressed in a single message. Send the message multiple times to fewer recipients. <HRCEMAIL.hddf.com #5.5.3 smtp;552 5.5.3 Too many recipients> i checked to see the recipents defaults and they are setup to be 5000 under exchange mgr. what else do i need to check ? -- david where did you check? "davidn" <davidn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E3DDE25-88DD-4D89-9B63-6A6A3366DE5C@microsoft.com... > The e-mail system limits the number of recipients that can be addressed in...

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...

Error creating activities from Cases
Hi I have an out of the box SBS 2003 CRM Setup I have installed Rollup1 and the new help files Under about MS CRM it has CRM 3.0 (3.0.5300.0) When we try and create activies from within a case, we get the following to errors in the event log We can create the activities just fromthe main web client menu ok The same thing happens in the outlook client (OL 2003, Exchange 2003) I found some links to verabose stuff, but they all applied to the have MS CRM setup on multiple server. We have tried it with and without Outlook open Anyhelp appreciated Event Type: Error Event Source: MSC...

Window Security (GP 7.5)
Hello, I would like to limit access to a specific window. I am trying to remove some user access from the Customer Maintenance Options window. This can be accessed using the Options button on the Customer Maintenance window. I cannot find this window listed in the Security Setup window as other windows are. Is it even possible to set access rights to this window? Thanks, -- Jessie Try using By Dictionary in Advanced Security. I don't know if the subwindow can be controlled but the By Dictionary option might give you the granularity you need. -- Charles Allen, MVP "J...

Create multiple owner fields?
Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to track the users who is working with an account. I know only own owner field is supported, but is it poosible to have one owner field and custom fields using the lookup dialog to map more users? // Mats Have you looked at creating a custom entity. Then have a Many to One relationship to user and a Many to One relationship to Account. "Langer" wrote: > > > Is it possibel to create multiple owner fields in a form. We need to > track the users who is working with an account. I know only own o...

Exchange 5.5 and mailbox permissions
Hi, is there an improvement in Exchange 2003 (from 5.5) in they way you can give users access to someones calendar or inbox etc? We often get a user needing full access to say 20 calendars of their team, so I have to add the users mailboxes to mine and keep adding the users permission to each mailbox. It takes ages. W we have just upgraded our Domain from NT4 to AD 2003 and will be moving from Exchange 5.5 to 2003 soon and wondered if this had been improved? Thanks for your time AW AW: I don't know of any "out of the box" method for doing this. I'm sure you can...