How can I rename a database table?

Hi

I am working on a project that uses the MFC CDatabase and CRecordset
classes to handle its interfacing with an Access database. It is
necessary for the software to rename a table within existing user
databases to ensure that they are valid for use with the new version
of the software.

As a result of my limited database and MFC knowledge I am having
difficulty finding a way of renaming the table. I have tried using the
following:

try
{
    theDataBase.ExecuteSQL( "RENAME oldTableName TO newTableName");
}
catch( CDBException* e)
{
   e->m_strError;
}

However, it results in the following error:
"Invalid SQL statement; Expected 'Delete', 'Insert', 'Procedure',
'Select', or 'Update'."

I have also tried:

SQLExecDirect( theDataBase.m_hdbc, ... , SQL_NTS);

But at compile time I am told that m_hdbc is protected and therefore
cannot be used in this way even though MSDN suggests that I can!?
Can anyone suggest a way of renaming this table programmatically?

Thanks

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You may want to ask this in an SQL group, but perhaps you'll have to write a
stored procedure to do this sort of thing and it could be that the queries
you do through the MFC interface are more restricted.  I don't do much of
that for sure, but I thought I'd offer up the suggestion.

Tom

<mark.tootell@talk21.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am working on a project that uses the MFC CDatabase and CRecordset
> classes to handle its interfacing with an Access database. It is
> necessary for the software to rename a table within existing user
> databases to ensure that they are valid for use with the new version
> of the software.
>
> As a result of my limited database and MFC knowledge I am having
> difficulty finding a way of renaming the table. I have tried using the
> following:
>
> try
> {
>    theDataBase.ExecuteSQL( "RENAME oldTableName TO newTableName");
> }
> catch( CDBException* e)
> {
>   e->m_strError;
> }
>
> However, it results in the following error:
> "Invalid SQL statement; Expected 'Delete', 'Insert', 'Procedure',
> 'Select', or 'Update'."
>
> I have also tried:
>
> SQLExecDirect( theDataBase.m_hdbc, ... , SQL_NTS);
>
> But at compile time I am told that m_hdbc is protected and therefore
> cannot be used in this way even though MSDN suggests that I can!?
> Can anyone suggest a way of renaming this table programmatically?
>
> Thanks

0
tom.nospam (3240)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Fields in TransactionEntry table
I hope someone can help me understand the contents of three fields in the TransactionEntry table in RMS. I'm trying to see if I can use data stored in these fields to correct the Price in my Item table. Two of the fields are the FullPrice and Price. It appears to me that the Price field is the price charged at the register, the FullPrice is something like the Price in Item. The PriceSource field seems to be a code that is 1 if the regular price is charged, 10 if the price is changed by the cashier and other values depending on the size of the discount applied at the register. My h...

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

HR Benefit Table
I'm trying to do some cleanup of our benefits (delete benefits that were enrolled and never used) and in the process of querying table BE010130 there are a ton of benefits that have a 0 in the BENEFITSTATUS_I field. When I try to pull them up in GP they don't show under the specified employee. Can anyone tell me what these are and if I can delete them? ------=_NextPart_0001_079D83ED Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, After looking at the HRBEN.DOC from the SDK, it doesn't appear the BE010130 should have a value of 0. The values that should b...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Good way to populate junction table?
Hi, If I have two tables, Players and Tournaments, and I want to quickly add a large number of Players to a new Tournament, what is the best design for the form to do this? I'm thinking (hoping) it is as easy as showing all the players with a check box next to their names and checking them off, but I can't think how that translates "behind the scenes" into putting the TournamentID and PlayerID into the junction table. Thanks. A better solution would be an unbound form with a multi-select list box of players, a combo box to select the tournament and a button to i...

Can not archive

creating pivot table with similar columnames
hello, i have the following problem : i am using extremely large excel sheets with specific data in it. i can report approx 10 weeks into one sheet before it is full. then i need to use a 2nd sheet. i want to combine those sheets into 1 pivot table, but the layout of the sheets is exactly the same (and that should stay this way) when creating a pivot table with multiple ranges i get an error message that there are similar column names. is there a away to allow this and to combine those columns ? for example in sheet 1 there is a lot data from week 1 to 9. sheets 2 is containing data from ...

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...

Can you convert picture into Visio?
Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? It would depend on what format the picture was in. For most cases, this is not an easy task. John... Visio MVP "tbae" wrote: > Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? ...