hide window from task bar

if I create a window using CreateEx, how can I prevent the window from
showing up on the task bar?

Thanks,
Mark
0
mark564 (750)
4/25/2006 2:09:02 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Use WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW extended style in your window. Another option is
here:

http://www.codeproject.com/docview/notaskbaricon.asp

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
4/25/2006 2:28:05 PM
thanks!
I'm new to MFC...

Cheers,
Mark

"Ajay Kalra" wrote:

> Use WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW extended style in your window. Another option is
> here:
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/docview/notaskbaricon.asp
>
> ---
> Ajay

0
mark564 (750)
4/25/2006 2:52:02 PM
Welcome to MFC Mark. I think you'll find that MFC will help you create great
applications quickly.  There is some learning curve involved, but we're here
to help with any questions you might have.  I think you'll find that since
MFC has been around for some time there are lots of examples available.

Tom

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks!
> I'm new to MFC...
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

0
tserface (3861)
4/25/2006 3:19:21 PM
Welcome mark!!

 I prefered , begin MFC without using MFC Wizard.

Start writing your sample application on your own then move to Wizard Code.
I doubt people enetering into MFC through wizard may lack basics of
MessageMap,DataExchange mechanisms etc

Jibesh.V.P

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks!
> I'm new to MFC...
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> "Ajay Kalra" wrote:
>
> > Use WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW extended style in your window. Another option is
> > here:
> >
> > http://www.codeproject.com/docview/notaskbaricon.asp
> >
> > ---
> > Ajay

0
jibesh_vp (12)
4/26/2006 5:47:40 PM
>  I prefered , begin MFC without using MFC Wizard.

In my opinion that is the right way to learn MFC. Wizard adds one more
level of complexity and it hides the details from you. You should use
wizard for daily use but to learn the basics of MFC, I think use of
wizard can be avoided.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
4/26/2006 5:57:14 PM
I think that defeats the joy of having the wizard.  I think it is possible
to get started and learn the details (those you even have to know) as you
need to.  I guess to each his own :o)  I wouldn't want to live without the
wizards.

Tom

>>  I prefered , begin MFC without using MFC Wizard.
>
> In my opinion that is the right way to learn MFC. Wizard adds one more
> level of complexity and it hides the details from you. You should use
> wizard for daily use but to learn the basics of MFC, I think use of
> wizard can be avoided.
>
> ---
> Ajay

0
tserface (3861)
4/26/2006 9:34:08 PM
"Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in message
> I think that defeats the joy of having the wizard.  I think it is possible
> to get started and learn the details (those you even have to know) as you
> need to.  I guess to each his own :o)  I wouldn't want to live without the
> wizards.

I never said you should live without one. Its good to ignore it for the
initial stages as it clouds inner workings of MFC. I have always used the
wizard but after I read Jeff Prosise's book of MFC(which promotes not using
the wizard for *earning* basic MFC) I became convinced. Certainly day to day
use of MFC without wizards is non-productive.

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

0
ajaykalra (6842)
4/27/2006 4:51:32 AM
*earning* basic MFC?

Oh well, so long as you don't take away the wizards :o)

Tom

> I never said you should live without one. Its good to ignore it for the
> initial stages as it clouds inner workings of MFC. I have always used the
> wizard but after I read Jeff Prosise's book of MFC(which promotes not
> using
> the wizard for *earning* basic MFC) I became convinced. Certainly day to
> day
> use of MFC without wizards is non-productive.

0
tserface (3861)
4/27/2006 2:23:54 PM
> Oh well, so long as you don't take away the wizards

We already lost the class wizard. That ought to make you *earn* your
living.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
4/27/2006 3:11:17 PM
At first I really missed the ClassWizard, but now not so much.  The only
thing I really miss is being able to make variables and events for controls
without having to go through all the steps for each one.  I liked how
ClassWiz allowed us to just do them all from the list box.  Oh well....

Tom

>> Oh well, so long as you don't take away the wizards
>
> We already lost the class wizard. That ought to make you *earn* your
> living.
>
> ---
> Ajay

0
tserface (3861)

Missing tool bar??
Several months ago I downloaded Windows Live Mail into my desktop computer Windows XP. After learning how to change a few settings and fighting the learning curve, I don't hate it as much as I did. I recently purchased a Laptop with Windows 7. I downloaded Windows Live Mail into it. It is the same except I cannot find an important setting. The bar across the top of the window that contains the buttons, "File, Edit, View, Go, Tools, Actions and Help" is missing. Please, where do I find the option to make this important feature appear????????? Thanks Ben L...

Money 2004 in Windows Mobile 5.0
Hello, I just buy a handheld HP 2490, this have a Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC, somebody know who i can sync my transacction with this handheld. Microsoft Say windows mobile 5 don't have the sync program (ALWAYS MICROSOFT) Short answer - you can't. -- Michael Gordon "jmcs" <jcw2000@intelnet.net.gt> wrote in message news:ubExwHsAHHA.2328@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I just buy a handheld HP 2490, this have a Windows Mobile 5.0 for > Pocket PC, somebody know who i can sync my transacction with this > handheld. > > Micr...

Opening a window with VBA/storing data in a separate table
Hi all, First Question---- I have a third party application (Additional Inventory Fields in the ActNow series from Hawk Mountain) that currently is accessed from the Extra menu while in item maintenance. I have added a button to the item maintenance form and I am trying to figure our what VBA code I need to put in so that when the user clicks on the button that it launches the form that is currently accessed via the menu. This is not currently a VBA form but the window that comes with the application. I have tried to put an "OnUserChanged" event on the button with a FormName.Open...

Windows shutdown when <tools><options> selected

Inquiry of Retired Fixed Assets shows all assets in lookup window
Inquiry of retired assets should only show retired assets in lookup button. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=64b47625-f1f6-43bf-beac-da8c4aaf3a85&dg=micro...

vb6 and windows 7
are there any issues with installing vb6 pro on windows 7 64 bit, the program installed in the program files (x86) ok and worked for a while but now it comes up with the error cannot locate th DAO350.dll. i have plonked an new version in the correct folder and when i try to register the dll it will not register, do i have to reinstall the app ? any help would be gratefully recieved regards caverdave On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:47:17 -0700, caver_dave <caverdave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >are there any issues with installing vb6 pro on windows 7 64 bit, the program...

Creating MFC child dialogs and windows in DLL.
Hi, I need to write some kind of plug-in, which are implemented as separate dll's. I already wrote a few plugins for this program using MFC and it worked ok, but now I need to create some GUI inside a plugin. I have an interface like that class IModule { public: virtual void ShowConfDialog( HWND hwndParent ) = 0; virtual HWND CreatePanel( HWND hwndParent ) =0; // create child window, position and size will be // controlled by a parent window. } But when creating a child windows in MFC I nee...

Closing app gracefully on windows shutdown
Hi, I have an app that uses CMainFrame::OnClose() to store its placement on shutdown. On windows (2000) shutdown this is not called. What message is sent to an app on windows shutdown. Thanks, Jan Jan M wrote: > Hi, > > I have an app that uses CMainFrame::OnClose() to store its placement on > shutdown. On > windows (2000) shutdown this is not called. > > What message is sent to an app on windows shutdown. > > Thanks, > > Jan Take a look at: ID_APP_EXIT, CWinApp::OnAppExit "Jan M" <jan@acu.no-ip.com> wrote in message news:uy1eG5Ph...

'Server XXXX Not Available.' When Trying To Add a Process Server in the DPS Server Setup Window
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C9BDE1.B1EBED50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Issue 'Server XXXX not available' occurs when trying to add a process server = in the DPS Server Setup window.=20 Resolution If the Process Monitor is not running at the workstation you are trying = to add as a new process server, you will receive the message 'Server = XXXX not available'.=20 To start the Process Monitor, drag the Dynamics.set file on top of the = DPS.exe file in your...

PPT 2008 (windows) and PPT 2009 (Mac) compatibility re: path anima
Greetings, I'm customizing a preso in PPT 2007 (windows) using a jpeg image that moves along a custom path. Nothing extravagant just a move upward to the left and down. Another slide I've got images behind a large image where each image (4 images) travel on your basic up path (no custom). When the person running PPT 2008 (Mac) runs the animation nothing happens - no animation at all. Can anyone shed some light on this - can't find any data about a problem. thanks > I'm customizing a preso in PPT 2007 (windows) using a jpeg image that > moves along ...

Bar Code Scanner Opos
We typically just plug in our barcode scanners via USB and let windows automatically install. It's easy and works. Is there any reason that I should actually be using the scanners in a serial mode with OPOS drivers installed? I just don't see the need or the benefit, but maybe I am missing something. Thanks .. S ...

Hide formulas but not lock cells or contents
I've created a worksheet which changes depending on the entry in the Data Validation list but I like to hide all the formulas in this worksheet. I've tried selecting hidden in the Format/Protection and then selecting lock cells Protect worksheet in Tools/Protection but then this does not allow to select the drop down menu in the Data Validation box. I dont want to lock cells as they change with dynamically with data validation input PLUS I use Auto Filters but how can I still hide the formulas. Any suggestions Thx You COULD use Application.DisplayFormulaBar = False but the user c...

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Any thoughts or advice on the following. I did have to reboot the machine as it froze before this happened and now it won't go away. Corrupted profile somewhere? If so what do I delete? Many thanks for any assistance. Regards Jeremy Instone Unable to send or receive messages for the mail.btinternet.com account. The connection to the server has failed. Server: 'mail.btinternet.com' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E Protocol: POP3 Port: 110 Secure(SSL): No Socket Error: 10061 Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no add...

Hiding Forms.
I know that this seems to be a easy question to ask but I have just started using Visual C++ and MFC (before I was using C++ Builder). Anyways, I was wondering how to hide forms, and how to make them reappear. The type of application is MFC. Thanks in advance, James Simpson Take a look at the CWnd::ShowWindow() member function. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ] ----------------------------------- "James Simpson" <straightwaytek@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0a7b01c391e5$41179a30$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I know that this seems to be a easy question to ask...

Hide Class/Struct from ClassView
Is there any way to prevent ClassView from listing a class or a struct? The ClassView display is getting too cluttered, and there are a number of structs that I use that really don't need to be displayed. I could make them nested structs inside a class (which helps to unclutter the display), but that makes the nomenclature ugly. I could also name them all starting with a "z" so that they appear at the end of the ClassView, but I would prefer not to do this. Mike Put them in a folder in the class view. Right click on the project in class view, select New Folder and drag th...

Unable to send or recieve mail with Windows Live Mail
Whenever i try to Sync with my hotmail account from WLM i have had the following error for about a week now: Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail.co (my email address) account. To send and receive messages in your Hotmail account, go to http://hotmail.live.com on the Web, or try again later. To get help from Windows Live Customer Support, go to http://support.live.com and click Windows Live Mail in the list of services. Server Error: 4402 Server Response: Client FolderId 327 is not found in the request Server: 'http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/...

windows media player failure
Yesterday I downloaded MVI_1138.AVI from my camera. Then I played it (it was good) Then I played it for one of my children (still good) Then I played it for my SO (it was still good) Today it will not play. The message is that WMP does not recognize the file type. This is interesting, because it thinks it is trying to play MVI_1138 (no suffix). Anybody recognize the problem? Is this a common problem? Is there a known fix? Can I download a fresh wmp? Charles ...

Word 2000 (Office 2000 Small Business) and Windows XP OS
I installed Office 2000 Small Business on my Windows XP machine, and Word does not open successfully. It opens partially and then I get a "Progam has stopped responding" message. Is there a fix? Have you locally installed a printer driver and set it as the windows default printer? -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Bill Crawford" <Bill Crawford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6CD8BB6-184B-4806-9BA4-0FAB5CB4055A@microsoft.com... > I installed Office 2000 Small Business on my Windows XP machine, and Word > does not open successful...

hiding EXE file
Hello All, I wonder if somebody knows how the following can be done. If we build a VB application that uses a third party software(an EXE file) that will be licensed to us, and the way things will be is that the VB application launches the EXE file at some point. The problem is that to do that, that file has to be on disk. Though we can delete that file after processing is done, the file will be avaliable for the user to copy/use without having the license. This EXE files needs a couple of other auxiliary files that it writes to while running. Now, can we do any of the following: 1- embed t...

top bar in bar chart
When creating a bar chart (default style) in Excel 2003, I occasionally find that part of the top bar disappears off the top of the plot area. I'm unaware of doing anything to cause this. This results in the top bar being shallower than the others. Any ideas please? On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, DonnaO <DonnaO@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >When creating a bar chart (default style) in Excel 2003, I occasionally find >that part of the top bar disappears off the top of the plot area. I'm >unaware of doing anything to cause this. This...

How to draw the child window background?
Hi,all. I created a set of controls in one child dialog ,and place the dialog into one big dialog. I drawed one background in the big dialog's procedure,but in the child dialog's rectangle the background can't appear.It still have the background of child dialog. How can I draw the child dialog's background with big dialog's procedure?? Thanks for any help!! See if overriding OnCtlColor() (WM_CTLCOLOR) helps. -- Sucharit >-----Original Message----- >Hi,all. > > I created a set of controls in one child dialog ,and place the dialog >into one big dia...

Report window is so small
Every time I open a report, the window of the report is so small and also I have to Zoom in every time I want to read it. I also have to drag the window so it gets bigger. Is there a way to automatically have the size of the window say 700 x 500 pixels? And also I want to have it zoomed in so it looks like a word document with font Arial size 10? Aprox. that size at least. Any help is very much appreciated. Regards Jan T. You can use the event OnOpen Procedure use docmd.movesize to adjust the position and size "Jan T." <MyFirstName.MyLastName@hotmail.com> wrote in...

Exchange tasks on a trusted domain
Hi, I am trying to find out if I can create mailboxes for acounts on a trusted domain. Here is my scenario: I have an Exchange organization (Win2K3 SP2 servers) bound to an AD domain =Domain A (Win2K3 SP1 DCs, domain & forest in Win2003 native functional mode). I also have a second AD domain = DomainB (Win2K3 SP1 DCs, Win2000 domain & forest functional mode). When I try to create mailboxes for the users in Domain B in the Exchange organization, I get this error message: "xml version="1.0" encoding="unicode" ?> - <taskWizardRun taskName="C...

Synchronizing CRM Task with Outlook Client
I Synchronzing CRM with outlook client. When i Create Appointments the reminder is set to 15 Min.. The Tasks are not... and a Pop up Reminder does not show in Outlook. I have been told this should work for both Appointments and Tasks Have anybody seen that ?? ...

Can I Hide a Field?
I'm wanting to hide a field on a form (products form in this case) for some users but not for other users. Is this possible? For example, can I hide the product cost (wholesale) of an item for the salesperson, but not for the CEO? -- Brandon IT Director Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com Hi Brandon, You cannot have different formlayouts for different users/Teams at this time... Regards, Michael Randrup "Brandon S." <bsmith@presentationsdirect.nospam.com> wrote in message news:e4pDiMrYDHA.1620@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm ...