Help with CSocket Receive()

Hi!

I have written a socket program on the client side that's
sending and receiving data to and from a server. The
problem is: the Receive() does not always receive
the "whole" return string - sometimes it does, most of the
time it does not. I guess there needs to be some kind of
looping - but I just dont know how to make it work. Here
is the code that I have written. Could someone please
advise me about how to get the complete data from the
server?

code:------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------
CSocket			sockMySocket;
CString			strError;
char *			charReturnBuf;

if (sockMySocket.Create (0,SOCK_STREAM,0)!= 0)
{
	if (sockMySocket.Connect ("strIPAddr",nPort)!=0)
	{
		CString		strSendMessage
(astrSendData);
		if (sockMySocket.Send
(strSendMessage.GetBuffer (),strSendMessage.GetLength ()+
1,MSG_OOB)> 0)
		{
			charReturnBuf = new char[80000];
			if (sockMySocket.Receive
(charReturnBuf,80000,0) > 0)
				//Here I have the problem
		}
	}
}

---------------------

Thanks
DC
0
debanjanc (4)
12/19/2003 10:43:35 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

DC wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have written a socket program on the client side that's
> sending and receiving data to and from a server. The
> problem is: the Receive() does not always receive
> the "whole" return string - sometimes it does, most of the
> time it does not. I guess there needs to be some kind of
> looping - but I just dont know how to make it work. Here
> is the code that I have written. Could someone please
> advise me about how to get the complete data from the
> server?
>

> code:------------------------------------------------------
> --------------------------
> CSocket			sockMySocket;
> CString			strError;
> char *			charReturnBuf;
>
> if (sockMySocket.Create (0,SOCK_STREAM,0)!= 0)
> {
> 	if (sockMySocket.Connect ("strIPAddr",nPort)!=0)
> 	{
> 		CString		strSendMessage
> (astrSendData);
> 		if (sockMySocket.Send
> (strSendMessage.GetBuffer (),strSendMessage.GetLength ()+
> 1,MSG_OOB)> 0)
> 		{
> 			charReturnBuf = new char[80000];
> 			if (sockMySocket.Receive
> (charReturnBuf,80000,0) > 0)
> 				//Here I have the problem
> 		}
> 	}
> }

> ---------------------
>

> Thanks
> DC

You can keep calling Receive, and appending the returned bytes to a
buffer, until you have received all the data.  How are you going to know
when "all" the data has been received?  You have to provide a way to do
this, such as starting the transmission with a length count or ending it
with a unique byte value.  One simplified way would look something like
this...

CString strBuffer;
do {
   int nRecvd = sockMySocket.Receive(charReturnBuf,80000);
   strBuffer += CString(charReturnBuf, nRecvd);
} while (nRecvd > 0 && strBuffer.GetLength() < nExpected);

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
scottmcp1 (239)
12/20/2003 12:18:32 AM
Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for your response.
I tried the loop that you suggested, but Receive() is not
receiving anything the second time. In the first run, it's
fetching 1460 bytes of data, but it's returning -1 second
time.

Any clues?

Thanks again for your help.

DC

---

+
>> 1,MSG_OOB)> 0)
>> 		{
>> 			charReturnBuf = new char[80000];
>> 			if (sockMySocket.Receive
>> (charReturnBuf,80000,0) > 0)
>> 				//Here I have the problem
>> 		}
>> 	}
>> }

---
>> ---------------------
>>

>> Thanks
>> DC
>
>You can keep calling Receive, and appending the returned
bytes to a
>buffer, until you have received all the data.  How are
you going to know
>when "all" the data has been received?  You have to
provide a way to do
>this, such as starting the transmission with a length
count or ending it
>with a unique byte value.  One simplified way would look
something like
>this...
>
>CString strBuffer;
>do {
>   int nRecvd = sockMySocket.Receive(charReturnBuf,80000);
>   strBuffer += CString(charReturnBuf, nRecvd);
>} while (nRecvd > 0 && strBuffer.GetLength() < nExpected);
>
>--
>Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]
>
>.

0
debanjanc (4)
12/20/2003 2:53:59 AM
DC wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Thanks a lot for your response.
> I tried the loop that you suggested, but Receive() is not
> receiving anything the second time. In the first run, it's
> fetching 1460 bytes of data, but it's returning -1 second
> time.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> DC

" If no error occurs, Receive returns the number of bytes received. If
the connection has been closed, it returns 0. Otherwise, a value of
SOCKET_ERROR is returned, and a specific error code can be retrieved by
calling GetLastError. "

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
scottmcp1 (239)
12/20/2003 3:44:45 AM
Hi Scott,

I understood that part. My question was - any clues why
Receive() is not receiving any data on the second run of
the loop? In the first run it's fetching 1460 bytes of
data consistently.

Thanks!
DC

0
debanjanc (4)
12/21/2003 10:48:43 AM
DC wrote:
>>SOCKET_ERROR is returned, and a specific error code can
>> be retrieved by calling GetLastError. "
 >
> Hi Scott,
>
> I understood that part. My question was - any clues why
> Receive() is not receiving any data on the second run of
> the loop? In the first run it's fetching 1460 bytes of
> data consistently.
>
> Thanks!
> DC

I don't think you did understand.  Did you compare the return value with
SOCKET_ERROR?  Did you call GetLastError()?  What did it return?

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
scottmcp1 (239)
12/21/2003 2:36:38 PM
Hi Scott,

Once again - thank you very much for helping me out.

I have checked for the GetLastError(), but there is no
error description for -1. This is what I have done:
do
{
charReturnBuf = new char[1460];
nRecvd = sockMySocket.Receive(charReturnBuf,1460);
if (nRecvd == SOCKET_ERROR)
{
switch (GetLastError ())
	{
	case WSANOTINITIALISED:
			strError = "A successful...";

		case WSAENETDOWN:
				strError = "The
Windows ...";

		case WSAENOTCONN:
				strError = "The socket is
not connected..." ;

	case WSAEINPROGRESS:
		//And so on...I have handled all error
conditions as given in MSDN

	}
}
else
{
strBuffer += CString(charReturnBuf, nRecvd);
}
} while (nRecvd > 0 && strBuffer.GetLength() < nExpected
&& nRecvd !=SOCKET_ERROR) ;

But when nRecvd = -1, although nRecvd = SOCKET_ERROR,
there is no description returned for this error.

Thanks
DC

0
debanjanc (4)
12/22/2003 8:39:02 PM
Shouldn't that be sockMySocket.GetLastError() ?

DC wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Once again - thank you very much for helping me out.
>
> I have checked for the GetLastError(), but there is no
> error description for -1. This is what I have done:

Are you saying that GetLastError returned -1?  If so, I've no idea what
that means.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
scottmcp1 (239)

sumifs help

Public Folders can't receive email from outside sources.
This is on an exchange 2003 server. When external email is addressed to the public folder the sender gets these messages. I can send to this address from inside without error. Suggestions please. Thanks. Reporting-MTA: dns;mail.nwcouncil.org Received-From-MTA: dns;gw1.nwcouncil.org Arrival-Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:30:23 -0700 Final-Recipient: rfc822;SubbasinPlanning@nwppc.org Action: failed Status: 5.2.1 X-Display-Name: Subbasin Planning Download Attachment: attachment21 Attachment21: Reporting-MTA: dns;mail.nwcouncil.org Received-From-MTA: dns;gw1.nwcouncil.org Arrival-Date: Mon, ...

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Receivables Aging Process Error
During processing Cash Receipts, we had a power failure at our offices. I am getting the following error when Aging Receivables: "Documents exist in a recovered batch or in an interrupted transaction-level posting session that have not been posted. If you continue, only the documents that have been posted will be included". Does anyone have an idea how we can troubleshoot this problem? Maria, Did you look in Batch Recovery? Is there anything in there? Have you tried running check links? -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "Maria" <betty@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

trouble receiving mail
hi oh computer smart ones!! am hoping anyone can help with my problem - i have 53 unread messages because when i hit 'send and receive' i get the first 13 then it stops completely and wont give me any more messages....i get this error msg: Message number 13 could not be retrieved. Account: 'mail.three.com.au', Server: 'mail.three.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: 'No virus found in this incoming message.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD i have tried turning off firewalls, uninstalling...

Macro Help

help me #2

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

receiving mail problem
I am on a network running Microsoft Backoffice (I think) and XP Professional on our workstations. Last week we statred rejecting or bouncing incoming emaild from certain addresses. They faxed us the message which says "this message was rejected due to the current administrative policy by the destination server." We have not changed any settings or done anything different. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. > I am on a network running Microsoft Backoffice (I think) and XP > Professional on our workstations. Last week we statred rejecting or > bouncing incom...

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Rules Wizard Help

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...

IF OR help
I have entered the formula =IF(OR(D5="K",D5<=4,M32<=95),"INELIGIBLE"," ") I am trying to get a result that will display INELIGIBLE when the value in D5 is K,1,2,3,4 OR the value in M32 is less than 96. with this formula I now get INELIGIBLE when D5 is blank. I would like cell to be blank unless one of the specific conditions is met. If either D5 or M32 is blank, I would like this cell to also be blank M32 contains a formula that returns a blank cell unless data is entered elsewhere in the workbook Thanks for all the help -- dbconn...