Help in creating dialog based application

Hi,
 I am creating a dialog based application which has a main dialog with
3 buttons.
1. Address Book
2. Student List
3. Course List

with which i can go to any one of the screens(which is again the
dialog). when i click address book button my main dialog should be
hidden/closed and i should open the address book dialog which has
again some button to navigate back to main dialog/student list/course
list. same kind of functionality for other two dialogs(student/course
list). i thought of creating all the 3 dialogs as modeless and main
dialog as parent but how i will inform the parent window to distroy
one window and create another window? for ex

if user clicks address book from main window and from there if he
clicks student list i have to close the address book and create
student list. how can i do it?

thanks in advance..

0
jeevs007 (30)
11/12/2007 6:12:41 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Have you considered a tabbed dialog with these being sheets in the tab?

Generally, you wouldn't want to destroy them; it is more likely you'd want to just hide
them.  But the way you would notify the parent dialog to do anything is PostMessage
(normally SendMessage, but since you're about to destroy the dialog SendMessage would be a
bad idea.
				joe

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:12:41 -0800, Nash <jeevs007@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
> I am creating a dialog based application which has a main dialog with
>3 buttons.
>1. Address Book
>2. Student List
>3. Course List
>
>with which i can go to any one of the screens(which is again the
>dialog). when i click address book button my main dialog should be
>hidden/closed and i should open the address book dialog which has
>again some button to navigate back to main dialog/student list/course
>list. same kind of functionality for other two dialogs(student/course
>list). i thought of creating all the 3 dialogs as modeless and main
>dialog as parent but how i will inform the parent window to distroy
>one window and create another window? for ex
>
>if user clicks address book from main window and from there if he
>clicks student list i have to close the address book and create
>student list. how can i do it?
>
>thanks in advance..
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15977)
11/13/2007 1:30:54 AM
On Nov 13, 6:30 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
> Have you considered a tabbed dialog with these being sheets in the tab?
>
> Generally, you wouldn't want to destroy them; it is more likely you'd want to just hide
> them.  But the way you would notify the parent dialog to do anything is PostMessage
> (normally SendMessage, but since you're about to destroy the dialog SendMessage would be a
> bad idea.
>                                 joe
>

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:12:41 -0800, Nash <jeevs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
> > I am creating a dialog based application which has a main dialog with
> >3 buttons.
> >1. Address Book
> >2. Student List
> >3. Course List
>
> >with which i can go to any one of the screens(which is again the
> >dialog). when i click address book button my main dialog should be
> >hidden/closed and i should open the address book dialog which has
> >again some button to navigate back to main dialog/student list/course
> >list. same kind of functionality for other two dialogs(student/course
> >list). i thought of creating all the 3 dialogs as modeless and main
> >dialog as parent but how i will inform the parent window to distroy
> >one window and create another window? for ex
>
> >if user clicks address book from main window and from there if he
> >clicks student list i have to close the address book and create
> >student list. how can i do it?
>
> >thanks in advance..
>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newco...@flounder.com
> Web:http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

i have come up with solution like this. i am having a function in main
dialog which will create modeless dialogs so when i switch to some
other dialog from main dialog i will hide the main and will create a
modeless dialog. if i go to some other dialog from the modeless dialog
i will kill the previous one and create a new one. is this solution
correct?

0
jeevs007 (30)
11/13/2007 4:58:58 AM
Nash wrote:
> On Nov 13, 6:30 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
>> Have you considered a tabbed dialog with these being sheets in the tab?
>>
>> Generally, you wouldn't want to destroy them; it is more likely you'd want to just hide
>> them.  But the way you would notify the parent dialog to do anything is PostMessage
>> (normally SendMessage, but since you're about to destroy the dialog SendMessage would be a
>> bad idea.
>>                                 joe
>>

>> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:12:41 -0800, Nash <jeevs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am creating a dialog based application which has a main dialog with
>>> 3 buttons.
>>> 1. Address Book
>>> 2. Student List
>>> 3. Course List
>>> with which i can go to any one of the screens(which is again the
>>> dialog). when i click address book button my main dialog should be
>>> hidden/closed and i should open the address book dialog which has
>>> again some button to navigate back to main dialog/student list/course
>>> list. same kind of functionality for other two dialogs(student/course
>>> list). i thought of creating all the 3 dialogs as modeless and main
>>> dialog as parent but how i will inform the parent window to distroy
>>> one window and create another window? for ex
>>> if user clicks address book from main window and from there if he
>>> clicks student list i have to close the address book and create
>>> student list. how can i do it?
>>> thanks in advance..
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newco...@flounder.com
>> Web:http://www.flounder.com
>> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

> i have come up with solution like this. i am having a function in main
> dialog which will create modeless dialogs so when i switch to some
> other dialog from main dialog i will hide the main and will create a
> modeless dialog. if i go to some other dialog from the modeless dialog
> i will kill the previous one and create a new one. is this solution
> correct?

Joe's suggestion to use a property sheet solution is really the correct
way to do what you want. Users can then switch between the tabs as they
need to and you simply have to handle the dialog code. No need to worry
about what is visible or not.

The classes you want to look at in MFC are CPropertySheet and
CPropertyPage. You create your dialogs using CPropertyPage as the base
class then add them to the property sheet. It is really quite simple.

--
Steve Kelley
0

Another solution, if you don't like tabbed dialogs, is to create an SDI app with multiple
CFormView views and switch the views around using the documented techniques in the MSDN.
But tabbed dialogs are easier to write, and easier for the user to understand and interact
with because you are using a paradigm well-understood by the user.

Another alternative is a wizard dialog sequence, but I'd go with the tabbed dialogs.
						joe

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:58:58 -0800, Nash <jeevs007@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Nov 13, 6:30 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
>> Have you considered a tabbed dialog with these being sheets in the tab?
>>
>> Generally, you wouldn't want to destroy them; it is more likely you'd want to just hide
>> them.  But the way you would notify the parent dialog to do anything is PostMessage
>> (normally SendMessage, but since you're about to destroy the dialog SendMessage would be a
>> bad idea.
>>                                 joe
>>

>> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:12:41 -0800, Nash <jeevs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> > I am creating a dialog based application which has a main dialog with
>> >3 buttons.
>> >1. Address Book
>> >2. Student List
>> >3. Course List
>>
>> >with which i can go to any one of the screens(which is again the
>> >dialog). when i click address book button my main dialog should be
>> >hidden/closed and i should open the address book dialog which has
>> >again some button to navigate back to main dialog/student list/course
>> >list. same kind of functionality for other two dialogs(student/course
>> >list). i thought of creating all the 3 dialogs as modeless and main
>> >dialog as parent but how i will inform the parent window to distroy
>> >one window and create another window? for ex
>>
>> >if user clicks address book from main window and from there if he
>> >clicks student list i have to close the address book and create
>> >student list. how can i do it?
>>
>> >thanks in advance..
>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newco...@flounder.com
>> Web:http://www.flounder.com
>> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

>i have come up with solution like this. i am having a function in main
>dialog which will create modeless dialogs so when i switch to some
>other dialog from main dialog i will hide the main and will create a
>modeless dialog. if i go to some other dialog from the modeless dialog
>i will kill the previous one and create a new one. is this solution
>correct?
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15977)
11/14/2007 5:40:57 AM
On Nov 14, 10:40 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
> Note that hiding the main dialog will usually hide the modeless dialogs as well; I don't
> like the idea of hiding the main dialog at all.  I think your problem is begging for a
> tabbed dialog.  See the CTabView class onwww.codeproject.com, or you can download my
> Local Explorer and see how I did complex tabbed dialogs.  I think you are trying to solve
> the wrong problem here, and a tabbed dialog is a nice, clean, easily-understood interface.
> Modeless dialogs that pop up and go away and main windows that disappear is going to be
> visually disturbing and probably produce an unsatisfactory solution.
>
> Another solution, if you don't like tabbed dialogs, is to create an SDI app with multiple
> CFormView views and switch the views around using the documented techniques in the MSDN.
> But tabbed dialogs are easier to write, and easier for the user to understand and interact
> with because you are using a paradigm well-understood by the user.
>
> Another alternative is a wizard dialog sequence, but I'd go with the tabbed dialogs.
>                                                 joe
>

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:58:58 -0800, Nash <jeevs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Nov 13, 6:30 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
> >> Have you considered a tabbed dialog with these being sheets in the tab?
>
> >> Generally, you wouldn't want to destroy them; it is more likely you'd want to just hide
> >> them.  But the way you would notify the parent dialog to do anything is PostMessage
> >> (normally SendMessage, but since you're about to destroy the dialog SendMessage would be a
> >> bad idea.
> >>                                 joe

> >> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> >> email: newco...@flounder.com
> >> Web:http://www.flounder.com
> >> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm-Hide quoted text -

> >i have come up with solution like this. i am having a function in main
> >dialog which will create modeless dialogs so when i switch to some
> >other dialog from main dialog i will hide the main and will create a
> >modeless dialog. if i go to some other dialog from the modeless dialog
> >i will kill the previous one and create a new one. is this solution
> >correct?
>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newco...@flounder.com
> Web:http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm- Hide quoted text -

thanks for your suggestion. I dont want to use tabbed dialog because
each module is different and it should appear like a new screen for
the user. So if you feel the solution i have posted earlier is wrong i
can use CFormView and show the screens as you suggested

0
jeevs007 (30)

Can we create custom SSRS reports for CRM Online using Visual Stud
Can we use Visual Studio (or SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio) to create custom reports that can be uploaded to a CRM Online deployment, or even download standard reports and modify them? I don't know how that would work because I don't know if we would have access to the SQL Server database. Hi Michael, you can add new reports into CRM Online - as when you add Reports into any Microsoft CRM Deployment, the upload rountine replaces the Connection Details in the Report with the correct ones for the CRM Deployment you are uploading into. However whilst you can...

sumifs help

Help !

Setting the range of a dialog box slider
Can anyone help me to set the min and max values of a slider control on a slider control in a dialog box, I created the control with the resource editor and do not know how to access the class of the control (the class wizard only creates a class for the dialog box), is there a way to attach a CSliderCtrl class to the resource or is there some other way to access the object in C++. SiBorg wrote: > Can anyone help me to set the min and max values of a slider control on a slider control in a dialog box, I created the control with the resource editor and do not know how to access the class of...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

C#.net windows application
Since I am new to c#.net 2008 but I have worked a little with visual basic.net 2005, I have the following questions I would like to ask: 1. When I am looking at a .sln file that I will be maintaining a work, I can see there are lots of static void Main() methods in a file called program.cs throughout the solution in separate folderts. Can you tell me the purpose of this kind of code? Does this instantiate an object, is this a class libary member? 2. When running the C#.net 2008 professional version windows application, how do I know which 'main' method is being called? ...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

How do I create a table with data selected via a pass through que.
I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this before? Thx. On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:33:00 -0800, kandamj <kandamj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query >in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this >before? Thx. You may want to try saving the passthrough query, and base a new MakeTable query on that saved query. The passthrough query runs on the host, and ha...

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

Exchange Application Error
Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeSA Event Category: General Event ID: 9153 Date: 5/24/2004 Time: 5:41:28 AM User: N/A Computer: DomainExchange Description: Microsoft Exchange System Attendant reported an error '0xc0072030' when setting DS notification. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. Any insite would be appreciated? Regards, We need more information of your environment. Mixed? Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000? There are other events that come right before this that should give us more information also. These may be info...

help me #2

Create and set up custom forms in OWA
Hey there! I read, that it is possible to convert custom forms to asp so that they can be used in OWA. Is there another tool than Microsoft Outlook HTML Form Converter to do the conversion-part? Do you know of an article that describes exactely how to set up such a form and where to install it etc. Like: What to do after I turned the Outlook custom form into an ActiveServerPage? Thanks for any help, Reto. ...

Pop Form Based On individual Customer
How would you assign a pop up message for an individual customer for example let say i go to the record john doe I want to assign a pop up message for that specific customer so who ever enters into that record the message will pop up automatically with notes or the user cld add notes. I have the following Customer Table Pop Up Message Table CustomerID(PK) MessageID(PK) LastName CustomerID(Lookup Customer Table) FirstName Note SS# Address1 Address2 City State Zip Phone ...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

Creating E-R Diagrams In Visio Based On ACCESS Database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C48BB9.47434CA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need to generate an E-R diagram for an ACCESS database that I have = setup. In ACCESS I have defined all of the table relationships using the = relationships tool. Now I am looking for a way to import that = relationships data into Visio to create a more formal and commented E-R = diagram. Any ideas? Thanks, Gary --=20 Gary Novosel Recursion (noun). See recursion. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C48BB...

bcc help