Having Insert button functionality while editing

Hi,

I want to have the functionality of Insert button (on keyboard) in my while
application while editing in a cell or a edit box. For eg if i am editing my
text say "alpha" and my cursor is between "l" and "p" and I insert an
alphabet say "z", i want the "p" should be replaced by "Z" and the text
should become "alzha".

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Arjun
0
Arjun (11)
3/29/2007 4:14:05 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

CEdit does not support that by default.

Here is a good example of how implement this (Although I think UpdateCaret
should just be a method of CXEdit)
http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380650

AliR.

"Arjun" <Arjun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to have the functionality of Insert button (on keyboard) in my
> while
> application while editing in a cell or a edit box. For eg if i am editing
> my
> text say "alpha" and my cursor is between "l" and "p" and I insert an
> alphabet say "z", i want the "p" should be replaced by "Z" and the text
> should become "alzha".
>
> Please suggest.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Arjun

0
AliR3470 (3235)
3/29/2007 4:23:42 PM
I would just look at the state of the Ins key and then manage the input into
the edit control myself in the OnChar() routine.

Tom

"Arjun" <Arjun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to have the functionality of Insert button (on keyboard) in my
> while
> application while editing in a cell or a edit box. For eg if i am editing
> my
> text say "alpha" and my cursor is between "l" and "p" and I insert an
> alphabet say "z", i want the "p" should be replaced by "Z" and the text
> should become "alzha".
>
> Please suggest.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Arjun

0
tom.nospam (3240)
3/29/2007 4:26:14 PM
The insert key itself doesn't have a state. He needs a flag that he toggles
everytime the user presses the Insert key.

AliR.

"Tom Serface" <tom.nospam@camaswood.com> wrote in message
>I would just look at the state of the Ins key and then manage the input
>into the edit control myself in the OnChar() routine.
>
> Tom
>
> "Arjun" <Arjun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to have the functionality of Insert button (on keyboard) in my
>> while
>> application while editing in a cell or a edit box. For eg if i am editing
>> my
>> text say "alpha" and my cursor is between "l" and "p" and I insert an
>> alphabet say "z", i want the "p" should be replaced by "Z" and the text
>> should become "alzha".
>>
>> Please suggest.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Arjun

0
AliR3470 (3235)
3/29/2007 4:45:03 PM
That woudl do the trick.

Thanks a ton!!

Regards,
Arjun

"AliR (VC++ MVP)" wrote:

> CEdit does not support that by default.
>
> Here is a good example of how implement this (Although I think UpdateCaret
> should just be a method of CXEdit)
> http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380650
>
> AliR.
>
> "Arjun" <Arjun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to have the functionality of Insert button (on keyboard) in my
> > while
> > application while editing in a cell or a edit box. For eg if i am editing
> > my
> > text say "alpha" and my cursor is between "l" and "p" and I insert an
> > alphabet say "z", i want the "p" should be replaced by "Z" and the text
> > should become "alzha".
> >
> > Please suggest.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Arjun

0
Arjun (11)
3/29/2007 5:30:02 PM
You're right of course, OP would have to manage the state of it in their
program with a flag variable.  Thanks for making that clear.  On a side
note, I noticed that the new version of Word (2007) doesn't use the Ins key
any more, by default, and it took me a while to figure out how to turn it
back on.  I wonder if they just decided overtype mode was too dangerous.

I like the idea of changing the caret as well so the user knows what's up.

Tom

"AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
> The insert key itself doesn't have a state. He needs a flag that he
> toggles everytime the user presses the Insert key.
>
> AliR.

0
tom.nospam (3240)
3/29/2007 5:39:26 PM
I haven't tried that yet, I will look at it when I get home, I wonder how
long it will take me to figure it out. :)

> You're right of course, OP would have to manage the state of it in their
> program with a flag variable.  Thanks for making that clear.  On a side
> note, I noticed that the new version of Word (2007) doesn't use the Ins
> key any more, by default, and it took me a while to figure out how to turn
> it back on.  I wonder if they just decided overtype mode was too
> dangerous.
>
> I like the idea of changing the caret as well so the user knows what's up.
>
> Tom
>
> "AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
>> The insert key itself doesn't have a state. He needs a flag that he
>> toggles everytime the user presses the Insert key.
>>
>> AliR.

0
AliR3470 (3235)
3/29/2007 5:51:58 PM
You're a trained professional.  You should be able to figure it out quickly
:o)

>I haven't tried that yet, I will look at it when I get home, I wonder how
>long it will take me to figure it out. :)
>
> AliR.

0
tom.nospam (3240)
3/29/2007 7:14:00 PM
I wish, First I am going to hit Ins just to see what it does, then I am
planning on testing Vista's extensive search functionality to see if that
will tell me real quick. Then I will hit the F1 key.

> You're a trained professional.  You should be able to figure it out
> quickly :o)
>
> Tom
>
> "AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
>>I haven't tried that yet, I will look at it when I get home, I wonder how
>>long it will take me to figure it out. :)
>>
>> AliR.

0
AliR3470 (3235)
3/29/2007 8:30:15 PM
Actually, it's taken me a while to relearn a lot of the stuff in Office
2007.  I like a lot of the improvements, but I always wonder why they need
to change the user interface for every release.  Have fun at least the F1
key still works :o)

>I wish, First I am going to hit Ins just to see what it does, then I am
>planning on testing Vista's extensive search functionality to see if that
>will tell me real quick. Then I will hit the F1 key.
>
> AliR.
>
> "Tom Serface" <tom.nospam@camaswood.com> wrote in message
>> You're a trained professional.  You should be able to figure it out
>> quickly :o)
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> "AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
>>>I haven't tried that yet, I will look at it when I get home, I wonder how
>>>long it will take me to figure it out. :)
>>>
>>> AliR.

0
tom.nospam (3240)
3/29/2007 9:36:45 PM
CEdit::ReplaceSel.
				joe

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:14:05 -0700, Arjun <Arjun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I want to have the functionality of Insert button (on keyboard) in my while
>application while editing in a cell or a edit box. For eg if i am editing my
>text say "alpha" and my cursor is between "l" and "p" and I insert an
>alphabet say "z", i want the "p" should be replaced by "Z" and the text
>should become "alzha".
>
>Please suggest.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards,
>Arjun
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)

Which SQL SERVER 2000 edition is best for HQ
Hi all, As you know SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition and SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition are supported on Windows Server 2003. Now Which SQL Server 2000 edition is recommended for HQ implementation STANDARD OR ENTERPRISE ? If any of them, Y ? I am running SQL SERVER 2000 Engine on WIN Server 2003 OS & HQ server is seperated running on WIN XP Professional Edition. Are operating Systems suitable? Depends on your organization's needs. RMS is not going to make use of any SQL Server Enterprise features directly, but if you wanted to say implement a fail-over cluster (minimum ...

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

Editing views on the activites page
I have stumbled upon the ability to edit views for activities by using the viewmanger.aspx page and changing the object type code to the code for activities (134). I have made these changes and have published them using deployment manager in a test environment, and they seem to be working great. The question I have is why did Microsoft hide these pages. It is possible to edit other objects (leads, opportunities, accounts, ect.) by just using the standard interface. It seems like the may not be showing these pages for a reason, but I have no idea why. If anyone has any input on this i...

Insert trigger

inserting hrs and minutes

Pressing Change Password -button in WIN XP causes reboot
I want to change my password. I press Ctrl-Atl-Del buttons and then I press Change Password-button and WIN XP Pro computer reboots immediately! I can´t change my password. ...

Editing an External Web Query Import
Hi, I've currently got an Excel sheet with a table I've imported from a web page I've created. This was done using the Data->Import External Data->New Web Query. The page itself is a CGI script and as such takes arguments in the address. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can alter that URL from a cell in Excel. Specifically I want to be able to change the hostname in a cell in Excel and the corresponding ?hostname='blah' to change. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Jim Data>get external data>run saved query. Right click the query and select edi...

Need help editing budget
In many catagories of my budget, the budgeted amount includes a billed amount rather than only what I budgeted. When I go to edit budget, I highlight the area I want to change and a copy of the reoccuring bill shows up. What am I doing wrong? ...

how to automatically load my function after the ListBox have shown on the screen?
i generate a project based on a dialog. and i insert a ListBox. i need to init some instruments in my programm, so i want to display the init process in the Listbox. how can i load the init function automatically but not spring the function by mouse or keyboard clicking after the Listbox have shown on the screen? You can populate the listbox in OnInitDialog. This is called before the dialog is shown. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "mark" <qdmahui@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:CE859599-1CE8-4311-B9AB-3C068BE6D078@microsoft.com... > i generate a proje...

Change position of Navigation Buttons?
Is it possible to change the position of the inbuilt navigation buttons? (And if so, how??) Or can they only be displayed in the bottom left of a form? Many thanks CW On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:30:00 -0800, CW wrote: > Is it possible to change the position of the inbuilt navigation buttons? (And > if so, how??) Or can they only be displayed in the bottom left of a form? > Many thanks > CW As far as I know they can only be displayed at the lower left corner of the form. However, you can set the form's Navigation Button property to no, and then add your own command buttons to the...

Editing Views
While it is possible to edit the views for some entities, it has come to my attention that editing views suh as 'history' within an entity is not possible (or at least easily accessible), and doesnt simply follow the format as laid out by the user for 'Activities'. Does anyone know a way to edit this view, as I would like to add some fields to this view. Also, is there any way to change the status of some read-only entities so that one can alter the display name of attributes. This would also help in regards to views, as some of our employees wish for attributes to have...

Insert with a where condition

Auto-Editing

Declare Function issue with Vista
I distribute a standard DLL with my Excel Add-In, install it to <windir>\System32, and reference it from the Add-In with Declare Function. That works fine with Windows XP, but on Vista, if the user doesn't right-click the setup file and choose Run As Administrator, the DLL doesn't get copied. I could copy it to the Add-In's folder instead, and then there would be no problem copying the DLL to that folder, but since the user can customize the install folder during setup, I can't hardcode the folder in the Declare Function statement. I could add the user's ...

Insert

RMS Stalls when close cash drawer button is pressed
When we click the close cash drawer button after a transaction RMS appears to stall, nothing happens for about 30seconds. Then it starts working again. We have had this problem from the beginning but it appears to be getting to a point where it happens with nearly every transaction. The thing is that you can type, nothting appears on the screen but you can login in and begin scanning, it eventually catches up to where you are. Has anybody else experienced this problem. Or does anyone have a suggestion to what i can do to fix it. plenty of memory?? "Tackeyon" <Tackeyon@di...

how to insert data in a table

add note button to vendor id field in payables transaction entry
I'd like to be able to write a note attached to the vendor id, and have it accessible from the Payables Transaction Entry window. There is currently no note button next to the Vendor ID field. Rob ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micros...

Crystal Enhanced Edition
When I tried to install the enhanced edition, I got the message "setup has detected that you have 9.2.0 installed". I now have the 9.2.2 upgrade from Crystal. Do I install on the server or client? If I install on the client do I also install the enhanced edition on the client as well? Thanks for your help Install on client Install enhancement on Client Peter "dpsman" <dpsman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1148C70-90A4-41F4-A395-55E18D2E454D@microsoft.com... > When I tried to install the enhanced edition, I got the message "setup has...

insert downloads into power point

Insert dataset to another database