Force underlining of menu access keys.

How can you over-ride the Control Panel setting
'Display->Appearance->Effects->Hide underlined letters for keyboard
navigation until I press Alt key', so that the access keys are always
underlined.

It must be possible, because the Visual Studio 6 IDE and Firefox both
seem to ignore this setting.  I know that disregarding the users wishes
is potentially a gray area, but when the check-box is cleared, it
always re-checks itself after a few days (possibly by our IT
departments profile).

Either way, I think it's more useful to always the display the
underline for our MFC apps and would like to know how it's done?

Many thanks,

Duncan.

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>How can you over-ride the Control Panel setting
>'Display->Appearance->Effects->Hide underlined letters for keyboard
>navigation until I press Alt key', so that the access keys are always
>underlined.

Duncan,

While I don't recommend overriding a user preference, I think it can
be done by posting a WM_UPDATEUISTATE message using UIS_CLEAR,
UISF_HIDEACCEL flags.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
3/6/2006 5:16:49 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction, I got
SystemParametersInfo() with SPI_SETKEYBOARDCUES to work in the end.

Duncan.

0
DSmith1974 (14)
3/7/2006 8:01:01 AM
I second this.  There is no reason for a program to change the user's desired settings.
Read my essay "Who owns the GUI?" on my MVP Tips site.  Key here is that a programmer does
not own the right to override a user's choices.
				joe

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:16:49 +0000, David Lowndes <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote:

>>How can you over-ride the Control Panel setting
>>'Display->Appearance->Effects->Hide underlined letters for keyboard
>>navigation until I press Alt key', so that the access keys are always
>>underlined.
>
>Duncan,
>
>While I don't recommend overriding a user preference, I think it can
>be done by posting a WM_UPDATEUISTATE message using UIS_CLEAR,
>UISF_HIDEACCEL flags.
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
3/8/2006 1:00:10 AM
Fair enough, it looks like the correct place for this isn't in the
application at all.

Although the I.T. policies certainly do have the means to veto my
settings, I'll see if I can convince them otherwise in this case.

Thanks anyway,

Duncan.

0
DSmith1974 (14)

Force Uninstall
All, A coupla questions . . . Suppose I just want to forcefully uninstall Exchange 2000 from a server, and an org. Currently the uninstall fails because (as mentioned in a previous post) I have users that still show as being on that server, however the store that those users were on is no longer there (because of a disaster). Is there some way to force the uninstall? Another question. I have two healthy clustered machines running currently. Suppose I just remove the object for the old exchange server from the ESM? Assuming I have performed all of the other steps steps (like moving o...

Can't access outlook after downloading trial version
I downloaded a trial version of microsoft office 2007 and I don't see any way I can access the 2007 version of Outlook. HELP!! Did you uninstall the old version of outlook first? Because only one version can be installed at once, the installation won't install outlook trial if its already installed. . -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook ...

my menu disappear. How can I refind my menu??
As you know, there are file, edit, view, tools and so on in the excel. But some of menu disappear. So, how can I refind my menu?? Please, let me know. Thank you. Allen Jeon you can add them again. Tools; Customize; Commands scroll down the categories and select Built-in Menus select the menu from the commands column and drag it to the position you want on the menu bar. cheers, Nadia "Allen" wrote: > As you know, there are file, edit, view, tools and so on in the excel. > > But some of menu disappear. > > So, how can I refind my menu?? > > Pleas...

How do I unrestrict access to files Information Rights Mgmnt?
Yesterday I was working on an excel spreadsheet and could not do "print preview" without being questioned about Information rights Management in MS Office 2003. I could not get past this so I went ahead and set up a couple email addresses of people who could access this file. Now the software will not properly authorize my opening this file as it cannot verify my email address. I do not know how to unrestrict the file so that I can continue working on it. ...

forcing user input into cells
howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel have a bit of a background in javascript programming what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int a specific cell if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor they can continue on with entry into other cells any help would be much appreciated -Thank -- georgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=164...

Old style "tree" menu in My computer
Hi there, WinXP ver 5.1 2600 SP3 Is it possible to show the old style Folders list in my computer....as was in win 98....you know...the long list that was on the left hand side, where you could see all folders in one tree - expand and contract as required. Many ta's Steve View>Explorer Bar>Folders Gord On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:15:08 -0000, "moonraker" <invalid.invalid@invalid.com> wrote: >Hi there, WinXP ver 5.1 2600 SP3 > >Is it possible to show the old style Folders list in my computer....as was >in win 98....you know......

Force quit
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Closing Word get error message &quot;A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted&quot; Am then required to use force quit. Anybody have solution? Make sure Office & OS X are fully updated. If they are & you still encounter the problem, crashing on Quit is usually the result of one of theses causes: Need to repair disk permissions Damaged preference files Corrupt Normal.dotm template See this page for the respective links in t...

attachments / performance / access 2007
Im using access 2007... my database needs to manage employee documents which are scanned and saved in a pdf format. My question, does saving the pdf in the database effect the performance or just the size of the database? I have a few hundred employees, who have multiple documents to track... so the size of the db can easily get pretty big. Obviously HD space is not an issue, just performance. Is it better to point to the file location on the server (i prefer not). thanks bl -- brandon Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200710/1 ...

2 instances of help with F1 key
hi, I have a small but trivial problem i think which im not able to figure out. I was able to override the F1 key to bring up my help file using the code as shown below. void CMainFrame::OnHelp() { char filename[255]; GetModuleFileName(AfxGetInstanceHandle(),filename,255); int len = strlen(filename); /*CString s1(filename,len); s1.Replace("OBVS.exe","OBVS.HLP"); s1.Delete(s1.GetLength()-3,3); s1.Insert(s1.GetLength(),"hlp");*/ len--; filename[len] = 'p'; filename[--len] = 'l'; filename[--len] = 'h'; ShellExecute(NULL,"ope...

telnet client in access form
Hello. I am trying to creat a form for work that involves connecting to a telnet server to automatically send and retreive specified data. I am new to VB and I am not sure why my code is not working... anybody help me out? Here is the code that seems to be generating the error: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) telnet.RemoteHost = "HOST" telnet.RemotePort = 23 End Sub (obviously i have replaced removed the host name since i am posting this) ...

Pulling up menu in another window
Help! This is a repost with some updated information... I have an application with multiple CFrameWnd derived windows: one for the main window (CMainFrame), another for an editor that can pop up that has its own menu, toolbar, and splitter. Everything works fine (has for years) except that the editor's menu cannot be accessed from the keyboard. Specifically, pressing Alt+F pulls up the menu item from the main CFrameWnd window--even when the editor window has the focus. - I've tried calling BeginModalState() from the editor. This only seems to set the modal state for the main win...

Problem while opeing the Access DB
I have a access Database created in NT (office 97), but my clients have migrated to W2k (office 2K) so when they try to open the Access MDB which was created in NT...it throws the below given error.... The current user account doesn't have permission to convert or enable this database. To convert or enable a database, ensure the following: * You must join the workgroup that defines the user accounts used to access the database. * Your user account must have Open/Run and Open Exclusive permissions for the database object. * Your user account must have Modify Design or Administer permissio...

Forcing Appointments
I use outlook to schedule appointments with my customers with specific employees. I have a scheduling department that does this scheduling via outlook. The employees have no option to reject or modify these appointments; therefore, I would like to force this on their calendar with them having to accept it and not allowing them to modify it. Additionally, I need to know real time once they are scheduled. Right now I don't know they are scheduled until they accept and that sometimes takes too long and then they are inadvertently double booked by the scheduling department. So how do ...

Force REPLY to go back to distribution list
I have an issue whereby a department is insisting that they want their mailing lists marked so that any time anyone clicks REPLY (not "REPLY ALL" - they refuse that as an acceptable solution, it must be REPLY) that the reply message goes back to the distribution list and not the message originator. They further insist that this capability must occur on the mail server (and not on Outlookclient side), since they use a multitude of different mail clients (many on Unix/Linux) and therefore it is a server-side responsibility to make this happen. They say that this capability exists in ...

Can't Access Links In Outlook or Outlook Express
I am using Outlook 2000 for my e-mail and until a few days ago could open links in my Outlook E-mail. This no longer works. When clicking on the html/url links nothing happens when using Outlook. I tried reinstalling but this did not help. Links will work however in SBC/Yahoo mail. I prefer Outlook. Can anyone help me? I am using XP Pro with 512 Gig Ram and a 80 Gig HD. Thanks in advance for any assistance. counsel2@sbcglobal.net <counsel2@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > I am using Outlook 2000 for my e-mail and until a few days ago could > open links in my Outlook E-mail. This...

Error accessing control when form not open
On a form when trying to get a value from a field it displays Run-time error 2450 when the form is not open. In this case instead of displaying the error how can I get a value from a control on a different form? You can only get a value from an open form that is displaying that value. Just refer to the control on the open form: [Forms]![OtherForm]![Text1] Use DLookup to get a value from an underlying table. The form does not need to be open. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Robin9876" <robin9876@hotmail....

Publisher CD key
My PC crashed and I am reloading my Publisher 98 on my machine but cannot locate the CD case/key. What can I do now? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from cathy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > My PC crashed and I am reloading my Publisher 98 on my > machine but cannot locate the CD case/key. Try Google. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm ...

access to publisher documents
I have a new computer and have installed my old publisher 98 program. I am unable to access my documents. I keep getting the message that they are from an older version. the only versions I have used are publisher 97 and now publisher 98. help. how can I access these documents. any clues thanks. ladi Try this, right-click any 97 file, properties, open with... change and point it to Publisher 98. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm "ladi" <ladijohnz@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0daa01c38f3...

force

Can't access URLs in messages
I'm not able to click on a URL embedded in an email message that I receive and go to the link. What do I need to change and how do I do it? Thanks Judy <jgoggin@civicventures.org> wrote: > I'm not able to click on a URL embedded in an email > message that I receive and go to the link. What do I > need to change and how do I do it? Try this. In IE, click Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Reset Web Settings -- Brian Tillman ...

Forcing an ActiveX control to serialize it's properties.
Is there a way to force an activeX control to serialize it's properties? Kurt "Kurt" <k_nojunk@larimore.net> wrote in message news:OqS15%23p3DHA.3224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to force an activeX control to serialize it's properties? > > Kurt > > Kurt, Try getting a pointer to the IPersistStorage interface via QueryInterface. Then call the method IPersistStorage::Save which needs an IStorage* to specify where the properties will be saved to. ...

Forcing an account
Hi All Is there anyway to get Outlook 2002 and/or 2003 to force to use a certain mail account for certain contacts? For example for contact A, B and C I want to always send new messages, replies and forwards via mail account 1 and for contact D, E and F I want to do the same using mail account 2. I don't want this to deviate even if one of these contacts has sent an email to an alternate mail account. Even though I set my main account as the default, when certain emails come in on my other accounts I can't force my replies or forwards to go to a certain account. Are there any hidd...

Force PasteSpecialValues in Excel 2007
There was a very nice piece of code written by Aaron Bush (Oorang on MrExcel) in 2007 which disabled cut and copy execution in excel, forcing the copy to copy only values but maintaining the ability to undo (http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=957). Unfortunately, this code fails in several ways in Excel 2007. 1/ It does not disable ribbon cut/copy/paste features 2/ Paste still functions normally when using <enter> to paste the previously copied cell 3/ If you are copying from a locked cell in a protected sheet, the code generates a 1004 error (though the p...

Access runtime automation
if only access runtime is installed (not office) can access runtime be used as an automation server ? if so, with late and early binding tia To the best of my knowledge, yes. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Loterken" <loterken@pandora.be> wrote in message news:%236DsHc6xKHA.5480@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > if only access runtime is installed (not office) > can access runtime be used as an automation server ? > if so, with late and early binding > tia > > You cannot use ...

chart menu
I am using Excel 2000 and am trying to calculate a trend line and extrapolate a data set using a polynomial function. My problem is two fold - 1st - I cannot find a built-in function on the pull down list. The formula is listed in the on-line help but I cannot find the actual function. 2nd - the on line help suggests going to the chart menu and merely clicking on the tab to add a trend line - but I cannot find the chart menu. The add a trendline option does not appear among the chart wizard choices. I suspect that this is a simple matter but I am completely flummoxed. Thanks in advan...