Flow of called methods in MFC

Hi all!

Does someone know where I can find the sequence of methods that are
called when I use this Microsoft's framework?

Thanks in advance.
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Under what conditions?  There are several thousand methods in MFC.

For startup, it calls the virtual methods CWinApp::InitInstance, CWinApp::PumpMessage and
CWinApp::ExitInstance.  You can override these, but in practice you only want to override
the InitInstance and ExitInstance.  After that, you need to say a lot more about what you
want to know.
				joe

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:19:57 -0700 (PDT), ScottBright762 <emersonespinola@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>Does someone know where I can find the sequence of methods that are
>called when I use this Microsoft's framework?
>
>Thanks in advance.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
9/25/2008 5:17:47 PM
I wanted a general view of this. Any special book, website, and so
forth.
I asked this because I was facing problems in my SDI application. When
I was creating the views I didn't know which method would be called at
first like, OnCreate, InitialUpdate, UpdateData, OnEraseBkng, ...
So I wanted to know each sequence of calls for methods that this
framework is supposed to do.

[]'s

On 25 set, 14:17, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
> Under what conditions? =A0There are several thousand methods in MFC.
>
> For startup, it calls the virtual methods CWinApp::InitInstance, CWinApp:=
:PumpMessage and
> CWinApp::ExitInstance. =A0You can override these, but in practice you onl=
y want to override
> the InitInstance and ExitInstance. =A0After that, you need to say a lot m=
ore about what you
> want to know.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 joe
>
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:19:57 -0700 (PDT), ScottBright762 <emersonespin...=
@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all!
>
> >Does someone know where I can find the sequence of methods that are
> >called when I use this Microsoft's framework?
>
> >Thanks in advance.
>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newco...@flounder.com
> Web:http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

Did you try to insert TRACE outputs in all (or at least most of) these
overrides/methods and than analyze to sequence?

Victor

"ScottBright762" <emersonespinola@gmail.com> wrote in message
I wanted a general view of this. Any special book, website, and so
forth.
I asked this because I was facing problems in my SDI application. When
I was creating the views I didn't know which method would be called at
first like, OnCreate, InitialUpdate, UpdateData, OnEraseBkng, ...
So I wanted to know each sequence of calls for methods that this
framework is supposed to do.

[]'s

On 25 set, 14:17, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
> Under what conditions? There are several thousand methods in MFC.
>
> For startup, it calls the virtual methods CWinApp::InitInstance,
> CWinApp::PumpMessage and
> CWinApp::ExitInstance. You can override these, but in practice you only
> want to override
> the InitInstance and ExitInstance. After that, you need to say a lot more
> about what you
> want to know.
> joe
>
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:19:57 -0700 (PDT), ScottBright762
> <emersonespin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all!
>
> >Does someone know where I can find the sequence of methods that are
> >called when I use this Microsoft's framework?
>
> >Thanks in advance.
>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newco...@flounder.com
> Web:http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

Not really! I'd appreciate to find some documentation about it.

[]'s

On 25 set, 17:24, "Victor" <nijegorodov.otp...@freenet.de> wrote:
> Did you try to insert TRACE outputs in all (or at least most of) these
> overrides/methods and than analyze to sequence?
>
> Victor
>
> "ScottBright762" <emersonespin...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I wanted a general view of this. Any special book, website, and so
> forth.
> I asked this because I was facing problems in my SDI application. When
> I was creating the views I didn't know which method would be called at
> first like, OnCreate, InitialUpdate, UpdateData, OnEraseBkng, ...
> So I wanted to know each sequence of calls for methods that this
> framework is supposed to do.
>
> []'s
>
> On 25 set, 14:17, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
>
> > Under what conditions? There are several thousand methods in MFC.
>
> > For startup, it calls the virtual methods CWinApp::InitInstance,
> > CWinApp::PumpMessage and
> > CWinApp::ExitInstance. You can override these, but in practice you only
> > want to override
> > the InitInstance and ExitInstance. After that, you need to say a lot more
> > about what you
> > want to know.
> > joe
>
> > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:19:57 -0700 (PDT), ScottBright762
> > <emersonespin...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > >Hi all!
>
> > >Does someone know where I can find the sequence of methods that are
> > >called when I use this Microsoft's framework?
>
> > >Thanks in advance.
>
> > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> > email: newco...@flounder.com
> > Web:http://www.flounder.com
> > MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

regarding books:

Start with "Programming Windows with MFC" by Jeff Prosise. An atypical
programming book where the author didn't fill the book with screenshots of
wizards.
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Windows-Second-Jeff-Prosise/dp/1572316950

Then if you need more advanced stuff or deeper details: MFC Internals by
Sheperd and Wingo

http://www.amazon.com/MFC-Internals-Microsoft-Foundation-Architecture/dp/0201407213

HTH,

Serge.
http://www.apptranslator.com - Localization tool for your MFC applications

> Not really! I'd appreciate to find some documentation about it.
>
> []'s
>

> On 25 set, 17:24, "Victor" <nijegorodov.otp...@freenet.de> wrote:
>> Did you try to insert TRACE outputs in all (or at least most of) these
>> overrides/methods and than analyze to sequence?
>>
>> Victor
>>
>> "ScottBright762" <emersonespin...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> I wanted a general view of this. Any special book, website, and so
>> forth.
>> I asked this because I was facing problems in my SDI application. When
>> I was creating the views I didn't know which method would be called at
>> first like, OnCreate, InitialUpdate, UpdateData, OnEraseBkng, ...
>> So I wanted to know each sequence of calls for methods that this
>> framework is supposed to do.
>>
>> []'s
>>
>> On 25 set, 14:17, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Under what conditions? There are several thousand methods in MFC.
>>
>> > For startup, it calls the virtual methods CWinApp::InitInstance,
>> > CWinApp::PumpMessage and
>> > CWinApp::ExitInstance. You can override these, but in practice you only
>> > want to override
>> > the InitInstance and ExitInstance. After that, you need to say a lot
>> > more
>> > about what you
>> > want to know.
>> > joe
>>
>> > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:19:57 -0700 (PDT), ScottBright762
>> > <emersonespin...@gmail.com>

>> > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> > email: newco...@flounder.com
>> > Web:http://www.flounder.com
>> > MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

0
serge69 (63)
9/25/2008 9:04:32 PM
OK, now THAT'S a specific question.

As far as a book, the long-out-of-print-but-sometimes-findable-on-the-Internet (try
Amazon's used books) "MFC Internals" by Shepherd and Wingo is probably the best reference
on how MFC works that was ever written.  Chapter 7 talks about doc/view architecture, but
I don't have time to read it right now.  Maybe tomorrow I'll have time.

OnCreate is called when the view is created.  UpdateData is only called for a CFormView,
and that is called from the CView::OnInitialUpdate handler (which is why you typically
will want to call that as the first line of *your* OnInitialUpdate handler).  My own view
is that except for database support, you never want to call UpdateData on your own.

OnInitialUpdate is called when the view is first created and attached to a document.   By
that time, the document has been successfully loaded.

OnEraseBkgnd is called when the client area of the view has been invalidated.  Then the
OnDraw method is called.  HOWEVER, for a CScrollView or for printing, OnPrepareDC will be
called before OnDraw, and that's where you can set up the DC with the right scaling
factors for the printer or for the current scrolling position.

Note that all of these represent quite discrete situations and are in many cases unrelated
to each other.  You know that by the time OnEraseBkgnd is called, for example, that you
have a window.  In OnInitialUpdate, you have a view; if it is a CFormView all of the
controls are created, and if you have specified control variables for them, after the
superclass OnInitialUpdate returns all the controls are bound to their variables.  For a
view, an OnUpdate call with (NULL, 0) is typically passed to the base class, which
ultimately leads to CView::OnUpdate which does an Invalidate(), but you can do something
more sophisticated, including using nonzero lHint and pHint to provide information as to
what should be invalidated, or something like that, or indicating that the controls of a
CFormView should now be reflected back into the document, or a control should be loaded
from its document value (which is not the same as UpdateData, which does it for ALL
controls)

Much more interesting is the sequence of document and view calls; for example, the
document is created, OnNewDocument is called, then--if I recall correctly--OpenDocument
and Serialize (if you don't override the CView methods).  There are particular
considerations about SDI documents which have to be reused, as opposed to MDI where the
old document has been destroyed, and these *are* documented in the MSDN documentation.  If
the document creates properly, you can then create the view(s) and the framework creates
the view specified by the dialog template and attaches it to the view, after which
OnInitialUpdate is called.  I think this is the sequence, but I usually have to study the
documentation each time to be sure.
				joe
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:25:31 -0700 (PDT), ScottBright762 <emersonespinola@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I wanted a general view of this. Any special book, website, and so
>forth.
>I asked this because I was facing problems in my SDI application. When
>I was creating the views I didn't know which method would be called at
>first like, OnCreate, InitialUpdate, UpdateData, OnEraseBkng, ...
>So I wanted to know each sequence of calls for methods that this
>framework is supposed to do.
>
>[]'s
>

>On 25 set, 14:17, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
>> Under what conditions? �There are several thousand methods in MFC.
>>
>> For startup, it calls the virtual methods CWinApp::InitInstance, CWinApp::PumpMessage and
>> CWinApp::ExitInstance. �You can override these, but in practice you only want to override
>> the InitInstance and ExitInstance. �After that, you need to say a lot more about what you
>> want to know.
>> � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � joe
>>
>> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:19:57 -0700 (PDT), ScottBright762 <emersonespin...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all!
>>
>> >Does someone know where I can find the sequence of methods that are
>> >called when I use this Microsoft's framework?
>>
>> >Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newco...@flounder.com
>> Web:http://www.flounder.com
>> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)

Thread exits during the call to CreateThread()
Hi, In order to reuse some logic, which is implemented with Multiple worker threads and existing in an MFC application, i have created a regular MFC DLL and wrapped up all the logics which i want to reuse in my .net application. Let me brief about the logic. First of all it is a multithreaded implementation. There is an Observer thread which maintains a job queue and keep track of availbale Executor thread. Max number of executor thread is 2. There can have max of 10 jobs in the queue. This logic works fine with MFC application which uses Doc-View architecture. The .net application make use...

Debt Planner scheduled payments not in cash flow forecast
Can someone having scheduled bills from the debt reduction planner look in their cash flow forecast for the account from which those are paid, to see if the debt payments appear in the list of transactions? I have 2 accounts for which the DRP is managing payments. Both are paid from checking. That checking account includes payments to my primary credit card, to which almost all categories are attributed in the budget. The cash flow forecast includes budget items and scheduled bills, including the payment to the credit card. When I include the credit card, the average balance of the ca...

Well not exactly MFC....though I am using it in MFC :)
Okay actually I am trying to write a DLL which my MFC dialog imports, but for some reason I cannot get something really simple done. Basically all I want to be able to do is copy a string that is given to a function, and then return it to the user unchanged (as within my program I modified the two strings which are given as parameters). What is weird is simply that I CANNOT delete a char * which I created using NEW??? Here is what I am trying to do.... I have char * tempString; //define in my .h file for the DLL. in the method void ChangeString(char * a, char * b) { tempString = ne...

combo box to call option group
Hello All, I'm pretty new at this so please be patient. I am a Mechanical contractor, putting together a database of boiler rooms for my client. Here's my issue: I would like to use a combo box selection to call on an option group. I will have three values to choose from in my combo box. Each value in the combo box will cause a different option group to appear. Should I create three different option groups and just turn the visible property to true if the value is selected, or is there a better way to do this?? Thanks, Josh W That would be one way to do it. Another way woul...

implementation of call back
i want to implement timer in driver . and want to call particular function in application at the timer event , is it possible , if yes tell me Seems like you like to repeat yourself. Maxim has allready pointed out the direction for you in one of your other threads. New threads will probably not give new answers. Inverted call is the way to go. /Faik "suhas" wrote: > i want to implement timer in driver . and want to call particular function in > application at the timer event , > > > is it possible , if yes tell me ...

using MFC and VC++ to read web cam
Hi, I am looking for a method to read in video from a webcam. I came across the avicap example on the msdn website. Unfortunately it uses the SDK directly. I am no Windows programmer, and I'm more comfortable with MFCs. I want to test my image processing routines on the current frame obtained from the webcam. I guess I'll need a handle to the image/bmp structure from the current frame. After processing the frame, I want to paint it in a window, instead of the original frame. But first, how do I go about reading the frame? Any help or redirection would be appreciated. Sincerely BS ...

integrate flow
I receive in my spreadsheet a information of a flow in Liters per minute (real online data ) can I ,in one cell, integrate this flow ? Thank you very Much CC ...

Money 2006 SB
I'm using the Small Business edition, and am toying with the idea of entering invoices to track receivables. My question is on the Cash Flow Forecast graph - it currently shows the income as of the invoice date. Most customers are net 15 or net 30, and I would prefer to see the income in the graph based on the expected receipt date. Any way to change this? Bob M.. "Bob Murdoch" <ram_re_move_5@erols.com> wrote in message news:%23E1K5XHuFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I'm using the Small Business edition, and am toying with the idea of > entering in...

PB with OCX control integrated in Dialog in a DLL MFC project
Hi all, I develop a DLL MFC using VStudio 7.0. As soon as i integrate an OCX control in a dialog ressource, the CDialog object linked to this ressource doesn't load. I try modal and modless methods, Nothing happens. Is there an option i've forgotten? Please help ! Is the control properly registered? Does it require a license? Has AfxEnableControlContainer been called? In article <7E9200A5-922F-403C-A33C-2118B318E0D9@microsoft.com>, Flora@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hi all, > > I develop a DLL MFC using VStudio 7.0. > As soon as i integrate an OCX co...

VC6.0 call DLL that built by Visual 2005
Hi, There are three files, test.h, test.lib, test.dll and these files are built by Visual Studio 2005. I use these file in VC 6.0, but it show following error: error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "long __stdcall Display(unsigned short,unsigned short const *,unsigned short const *,unsigned short,unsigned long (__stdcall*)(struct ABCDATA *))" (?DriveRestore@@YGJGPBG0GP6GKPAU_ABCDATA @@@Z@Z) Can I use these files in VC6? Thanks. Regards, Brian Are you linking in the test.lib? "Brian" <Brian8701@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1149849263.306233.29971...

Want to call a Web Service from a C++/MFC App in VS.NET 2003
I need to connect to a Web Service from a C++/MFC app. I created a Web Reference to my Web Service on localhost. There was a localhost.h created and in there was my class defined as a template as follows; template <typename TClient = CSoapSocketClientT<> > class CRegistrationInfoT : public TClient, public CSoapRootHandler { ... } In this class is a definition of the routines that I want to call, one of which is defined as: HRESULT GetClasses( ClassInfo** GetClassesResult, int* GetClassesResult_nSizeIs ); I can't figure out how to instantiate...

Cash flow no flow
I've got several of my accounts set up with ms money since I bought it a few years back, however, whenever I try to use the 'Cash flow review' I get a dialog saying: 'Please create atleast one checking, savings, or cash account before you go to the cash flow forecast'. What's up with that? What can I do besides having the checking account, savings account, etc I have already? Ideas? Try reading this message: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=%23UnR1z%233DHA.488%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl. "Daniel" <nefar@hotmail.com> ...

POS- Invalid procedure call or argument-URGENT
newly installed RMS POS 2.0 it was working fine now if i'm trying to open POS i'm getting this error and the POS wont start. I'm getting the same error when starting the client, SO is working no problems This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0A85_01C7720C.72FE9750 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dani, Need more info, but did you install as an Administrator? =20 Have you tried running a repair install or install on top of itself? Did it run through the registration process? --=20 Je...

MFC to Console.
Hello Group. I need to convert the code of WiniNet Async Demo from microsoft samples from MFC to a console function.. Someone can help me with the changes.. The code is posted here Regards /* Microsoft Corporation Copyright 1999-2002 */ /******************************************************************** ProjectName : AsyncDemo Purpose : This sample demonstrates how to submit two WinInet requests, using InternentOpenUrl, asynchronously. Notes : This sample does not handle any authentication. To properly handle authentication, the functions that handle specific protocols (like Ht...

Sending binary data via a GET or POST REST call
Hello Everyone, I'm creating a program that will use a REST interface to send a binary file to the server but I'm really not sure how to do that. I know how to do the REST call but how do I send binary data? The documentation says I will send it as file_data=<raw_binary_data> in my GET request. I'm using the HTTPWebRequest() and HTTPWebResponse() classes to do this from the client. Can anyone help? Also, is the process much different to send via POST? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks! Anthony Small Correction: The method is actually O...

How do you add quantatative data to flow charts?
There is a report in Visio that presents Cost, resources and task duration time for each process step. How do you add this data to the flow chart to feed the report? select the shape, right click, select properties, fill in the blanks :-) al "John Curlew" <John Curlew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1384B98-FDA2-4BD2-8A32-81C8B578534C@microsoft.com... > There is a report in Visio that presents Cost, resources and task duration > time for each process step. How do you add this data to the flow chart to > feed the report? ...

Formula not being called from personal.xls
Hi there folks. I am trying to add a formula to my personal.xls file for use in all workbooks. Here it is:- ' Interpolate values Function ITP(tgtwt, lwt1, Lwt2, yield1, Yield2) diffa = (Lwt2 - lwt1) diffb = (tgtwt - lwt1) facta = diffb / diffa diffc = Yield2 - yield1 factb = diffc * facta ITP = yield1 + factb End Function Nice and simple. It works a treat within the personal.xls file but when I open a fresh workbook it doesn't! I get a #NAME error. If I then unhide personal.xls and try it in the personal file it's fine. It's really confusing me and a...

GUI Flow
Hi All, I am very new to MFC. I need to create an MFC app as described below. 1. I should have a dialog..Suppose the dialog has 1 Button control & 1 Listbox Control. 2. On clicking button on this dialog, i should come up with another dialog which has 2 buttons and 3 edit boxes.. 3. While doing this user should not able to see the switch (basically he should understand that 1 dialog is closed and other should open..like flicker..) What should i do achieve this ??? Are property sheets a solution.. Please help..Or direct me to a good tutorial which explains this type of sce...

ResizeToFitContents method
Please help! When i try to use the ResizeToFitContents method, it is no defined.Why? do I need to include a new library? or is it because I' working with Visio Std 2000? Help -- avalon2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- avalon27's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=18 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=69747 Visit - http://www.officehelp.in | http://www.officehelp.in/archive/index.php | http://www.officehelp.in/index/index.ph It was introduced in Visio 2002. I am afraid that you will need to hand code...

cash flow not responding
I use Money 2002. In the last couple of days I notice that they clashflow button does not display my cash flow. It has quit for no apparent reason. When I try to access it either from the menu or tool bar the busy cursor comes up for about two seconds then nothing. From what ever money window I am in nothing changes. Any Ideas? Danny See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q67. "DannyRMyers" <dannyrmyers@comcast.net> wrote in message news:816301c40305$585df950$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I use Money 2002. In the last couple of days I notice > that they clashflow butto...

Automatic flow chart generation
Back in the dark ages, late 1999 and 2000, I was using Visio to produce system flow diagrams. Visio had the capability for me to enter the input file names, the program name and the output file names into a built-in form (multiple entries, lots and lots, it was a table, really). It would then create the flowchart automatically. I haven't used Visio much since then. I am now tasked with doing something similar and I have a nice, new version of Visio and I cannot figure out where/how to do the same thing in Visio 2003. Can any one help me, please. TIA Mary Lynn -- I think the Visio ...

Why is not Encoding.Unicode called Encoding.UTF16
Hi! Here I have some example of different encodings. We for example UTF7 and UTF8. But what seems strange is why not Encoding.Unicode is called UTF16 ? StreamWriter swUtf7 = new StreamWriter("utf7.txt", false, Encoding.UTF7); swUtf7.WriteLine("Hello, World!"); swUtf7.Close(); StreamWriter swUtf8 = new StreamWriter("utf8.txt", false, Encoding.UTF8); swUtf8.WriteLine("Hello, World!"); swUtf8.Close(); StreamWriter swUtf16 = new StreamWriter("utf16.txt", false, ...

Different versions of MFC in same application...
Hi. I have an MFC based application that is compiled with VC6 - MFC 4.2. This application loads number of MFC extension DLLs that can interact with the main window (add menu, add toolbar....). Now, I want to move my application to Visual Studio 2005. The problem is that some of MFC extension DLLs are developed by customers and I dont have the source code for that. I tried to run application but I got crash. It sounds reasonable that my application will crash, because Microsoft broke MFC compatability between the versions. Does anybody know any solution for running MFC application with 2 diffe...

How can i choose the USB voice device instead of the default microphone and speaker device in MFC programming?
in one MFC programme,there are two voice device,one is USB device,the other is default microphone and speaker,how can i choose the USB voice device in MFC programming when this programme stared? ������ wrote: > in one MFC programme,there are two voice device,one is USB device,the > other is default microphone and speaker,how can i choose the USB voice > device in MFC programming when this programme stared? > > You can enumerate audio devices with waveInGetNumDevs and waveInGetDevCaps. The DeviceID used in these functions (0...[num-1]) can be passed to WaveInOpen to ...

Mail Flow
We are using a smarthost to route our emails through another outing group. The problem is the emails are not routing through the routing group anymore they are going out through to the intended servers. We are on Windows Server 2003 and running exchange 2003 cluster. Any help will help. Not sure what you mean...can you give a clearer picture of your topology, and what you are trying to accomplish? "AJ" <ajohnso9@jcpenney.com> wrote in message news:O5FDFFfOFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > We are using a smarthost to route our emails through another outing group....