First-chance exception . . . (NTDLL.DLL) . . . Access Violation.

What is the basic meaing of this? :

First-chance exception in Room 101.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access
Violation.

0
srussell2458 (497)
6/25/2005 4:43:13 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Steve Russell wrote:
> What is the basic meaing of this? :
>
> First-chance exception in Room 101.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access
> Violation.

Only the developers of NTDLL.DLL know.  Since you can't do anything
about it you must assume it is an uninteresting event that was handled
by code designed to handle it.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
6/25/2005 6:07:01 AM
> Steve Russell wrote:
>> What is the basic meaing of this? :
>>
>> First-chance exception in Room 101.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access
>> Violation.
>
> Only the developers of NTDLL.DLL know.  Since you can't do anything about
> it you must assume it is an uninteresting event that was handled by code
> designed to handle it.
>
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

If you're getting this error then it's likely you're attempting to
read or write to a virtual address for which you don't have appropriate
access, for example problems with your pointers, or trying to free
memory you haven't locked. Windows is protecting itself from your program.

I'd place tracking down your bug, which is causing this error, to be fairly
highly rated on a scale of "interesting events"! But I'm not an MVP. :-)

Ian.

0
ian751 (23)
6/25/2005 4:33:48 PM
Generally, the first-chance exception" is not terribly interesting. There are lots of
things that can cause it which are not actually bugs, but sometimes it is easier to just
call a function with an exception handler in place, and deal with the exception when it
happens, rather than do extensive checking. When it turns into a real exception (and gets
reflected back to your program, thus resulting in one of those messages about an unhandled
exception) then you DO have a problem.
					joe

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:33:48 +0100, "Ian Brown" <ian@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>> Steve Russell wrote:
>>> What is the basic meaing of this? :
>>>
>>> First-chance exception in Room 101.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access
>>> Violation.
>>
>> Only the developers of NTDLL.DLL know.  Since you can't do anything about
>> it you must assume it is an uninteresting event that was handled by code
>> designed to handle it.
>>
>> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]
>
>If you're getting this error then it's likely you're attempting to
>read or write to a virtual address for which you don't have appropriate
>access, for example problems with your pointers, or trying to free
>memory you haven't locked. Windows is protecting itself from your program.
>
>I'd place tracking down your bug, which is causing this error, to be fairly
>highly rated on a scale of "interesting events"! But I'm not an MVP. :-)
>
>Ian.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
6/27/2005 2:46:25 AM
Hi Steve,

from winerror.h
//  Values are 32 bit values layed out as follows:
//
//   3 3 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
//   1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
//  +---+-+-+-----------------------+-------------------------------+
//  |Sev|C|R|     Facility          |               Code            |
//  +---+-+-+-----------------------+-------------------------------+

It means
Sev 3 == Error
Facility == 0
Error == 5 (ACCESS_DENIED)

Check this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;105675

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/09/hood/default.aspx

Maybe want to put a breakpoint on the exception and see what part of
your program is involved in calling NTDLL by examining the call stack.

- Kurt

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:43:13 -0400, "Steve Russell"
<srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote:

>What is the basic meaing of this? :
>
>First-chance exception in Room 101.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access
>Violation.

Thank you all very much for your comments.  I am in fact crashing with
various debugger responses as I attempt to implement Speex audio decoding in
my project.  I know the exact line of Speex code that gives me trouble and
am pretty sure that the solution lies in the proper use of buffers and
varying data types, about which I still have some important things to learn.

In this case, after having tried to get the answer in MSDN and Google, I was
particularly interested in a possible plain English translation of
"First-chance exception in Room 101.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access
Violation." -- as part of my ongoing education and not necessarily as key to
solving the bug itself.
-------------
"Kurt Grittner" <grittkmg_NO_SPAM_@mailbag.com> wrote in message
> Hi Steve,
>
> from winerror.h
> //  Values are 32 bit values layed out as follows:
> //
> //   3 3 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
> //   1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
> //  +---+-+-+-----------------------+-------------------------------+
> //  |Sev|C|R|     Facility          |               Code            |
> //  +---+-+-+-----------------------+-------------------------------+
>
> It means
> Sev 3 == Error
> Facility == 0
> Error == 5 (ACCESS_DENIED)
>
> Check this out:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;105675
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/09/hood/default.aspx
>
> Maybe want to put a breakpoint on the exception and see what part of
> your program is involved in calling NTDLL by examining the call stack.
>
> - Kurt
>
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:43:13 -0400, "Steve Russell"
> <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote:
>
>>What is the basic meaing of this? :
>>
>>First-chance exception in Room 101.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access
>>Violation.

0
srussell2458 (497)

STOLTOOL.DLL
Starting O/L 2k ( 9.0.0.2711) on Win 2k message "Cannot load this file.....", and could not correct with "detect and repair" File is in the correct location. Have reloaded O/L with out eliminating this message. Appreciate any help provided to correct this issue Disable the specific add-in in Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button Advanced Options-> button COM Add-ins/Add-In Manager -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 -----...

First in First out
I need help in figuring out how to implement FIFO. I order a product and it is put in inventory with a PO and price. Then I may order some more in a few months before I use up all the old, it is added in with its own PO and price. Now when I take out of inventory I want to use up all the items from the first order then switch to the next one. Any help would be nic Thank Ji You need a date stamp at the time the product into inventory. Maybe use an "expected arrival" date on the PO. But how does this relate to Excel? Questions like this should be directed to: http://www.allexpert...

How do I print just the first page in my received email
To me it looks like I can either print all, even or odd pages only. can I just print first page only, and how do I do that? HTML messages can be printed one page at a time if you use File, Print on the menu. You can also Edit a plain text message to change it to HTML be able to use File, Print. "PeterM" wrote: > To me it looks like I can either print all, even or odd pages only. can I > just print first page only, and how do I do that? > > Many thanks Mary..........When I'm looking at my email (please remember, this is my 3 day with outlook) how do I cha...

the first
-- zdx840626��sina.com ...

Summary Query based on First Occurrence
I've got a list of invoices for businesses, some which have multiple invoices on a given day. I want to be able to return ONLY the First Day a customer was invoiced AND the TOTAL for just that day. Here's what the data looks like: Account InvoiceDate TotBill A B C Corp. 20041231 3500.00 A B C Corp. 20041231 9500.00 A B C Corp. 20050131 1500.00 A B C Corp. 20050131 2000.00 BARBERS INC. 20041431 1500.00 BARBERS INC. 20041431 12000.00 BARBERS INC. 20050131 300.00 BARBERS INC. 20050131 470.00 Ideally, my Qu...

Deep in DLL hell
Ok, I'm using VC++ 5.0, and my mfc42d.dll is from 1997 while my mfc42.dll is from 2001. What can be more frustrating than a project that runs flawlessly in debug mode, and not at all in release mode? I'm not doing anything undocumented as far as I know, but I am using a windows hook. I am getting an Unhandled Exception in MFC42.DLL 0x00000005, plus other major glitches. Will mfc continue to give me compatibility problems? Maybe I shouldn't use it anymore. I would like to write dlls and exes that are compatible with all versions of windows, and I'm thinking that mfc is...

Starting up access
I moved a database from a computer which was created with Access 97 to a new computer which has Access 2007. When I open the database I get an error message as follows: The form name "Startup" is misspelled or refers to a form that does not exist. I have no idea why this is happening and getting tired of haveing to respond each time I open Access. Can any make some suggestions how I can elimanate this.........Thank You It may be a convertion problem or possibly a corrupted problem MAYBE. Try importing the 97 database into a newly created 2007. Everything should work th...

SFO Offline error "Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E14"
Hi, I'm reposting this message because I haven't got any response. I'm receiving an Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E14 when i'm trying to access any pages offline. Online works fine, and syching works fine. More detailed errors are as follows: Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. Stack Trace: [COMException (0x80040e14): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E14.] Microsoft.Crm.Platform.ComProx=ADy...

Access 2003 DB to Access 2007 DB Issue
It ran fine under MS Access 2003, but now I’m using MS Access 2007 and I’m having a bit of a problem getting it to initially load. When I launch Access and select the acronym database (db1.mdb), I’m getting the following error message: “Your Microsoft Office Access database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file ‘dao2535.tlb’ version 3.5. * To ensure that your database or project works properly, you must fix this reference.” At the bottom of that error message window, there is a “Show Help” button, and an “OK” button. “Show Help” provides me little h...

Create CDHtmlDialog in statically linked MFC DLL failed
Hi, My project need use a exe(statically linked MFC) load a dll(staticall linked MFC), and create a CDHtmlDialog in the dll. I add a CDHtmlDialog to the DLL, "class DHtmlDialogTest : publi CDHtmlDialog" and create dialog at DLL's export function, "DHtmlDialogTest.Create(IDD_DHtmlDialogTest CWnd::GetDesktopWindow());" But when excute DHtmlDialogTest.Create(IDD_DHtmlDialogTest CWnd::GetDesktopWindow()); then it'll enter "dlgdhtml.cpp"'s functio "CDHtmlDialog::OnInitDialog()" at following code inside "CDHtmlDialog::OnInitDialog()"...

Outlook Web Access (OWA) #3
When special characters are used in subject line, get "Page Cannot Be Found" error. This was not the case in previous version of OWA. Does anyone know if Microsoft is aware/fixining this issue? Or if there is a patch or workaround? Ask in an Exchange newsgroup as OWA is part of Exchange; not Outlook. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Tom Vaughn" <tvaughn@greyhawk.com> wrote in message news:1e34e01c4552d$1dc474c0$a101280a@phx.gbl... >...

LINQ Except function
In the following function, when the two xml strings passed in are identical, I get all of the "File" nodes from docRight. I was expecting zero file nodes. I must be using Except() wrong -- can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? public static string FindUniqueOnRight(string xmlLeft, string xmlRight) { XDocument docLeft = XDocument.Parse(xmlLeft); XDocument docRight = XDocument.Parse(xmlRight); var docAddFromRight = from r in docRight.Descendants ("File").Except( from l in docLeft.Descen...

Outlook 2003 slow opening first html msg
Anyone else noticed a slowdown recently when opening the first html formatted message in Outlook 2003? It might have occurred during the recent MS updates, or it might be where I upgraded to IE7. That all happened about the same time. On my Pentium 800 with .5gb of ram, the message frame appears in about 20 seconds and the contents in another 20 seconds. This seems to only happen on the first e-mail to be opened. The next opens instantly. Dave ...

Conversion of MySQL to Access Through ODBC Not retaining autonumber
Trying to convert a mysql database into access for a client, and some problems arise by selecting get external data -> import from ODBC connection IE: The database structure and data is imported fine, but the columns which should be Autonumber shift to Numeric and Access is unable to change a column to autonumber after data has been put in it Is there any way to 'force' convert a numeric column to an autonumber.. i could repopulate the rest of the data and let the autonumber column fill itself in.. but the problem is that the values in the autonum column are referred to in other...

Accessing other's e-mail accounts in Exchange 2003
I have 2 basic questions for Exchange 2003 and I'm hoping someone can help me out here. The message is long as I have to explain the scenarios. :) 1. We have some e-mail accounts that are no longer used (e.g. old employees, etc.) that we need to access. I can certainly access the with the user's credentials. Is there a way to access someone's mailbox as an "Administrator" instead of as the user? For example, can Administrator access John Doe's mailbox using Administrator's credentials? This is of course assuming the Administrator has permissions to do. If s...

Accessing Version Info
Does my MFC application have access to its own VS_VERSION_INFO resource, or does it have to use GetFileVersionInfo(), like it would have to for any other file? Yes, it have to use GetFileVersionInfo(), like it would have to for any other file. Victor "AVee" <AVee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AF2DAB7-3ABE-4804-AF07-BA7846BB988C@microsoft.com... > Does my MFC application have access to its own VS_VERSION_INFO resource, > or > does it have to use GetFileVersionInfo(), like it would have to for any > other > file? I just use GetFileV...

Toolbar doesn't react on first click.
Hello everyone. I create program with one toolbar and few CWnd objects in CFrameWnd. Only one window (CWnd) is shown at time. When I start some action on this window (OnLButtonUp and OnlButtonDown) program makes few expensive calculation, next he hides window (SW_HIDE), and shows another (SW_SHOW). But sometimes when I make double-click on window, everything show OK, but toolbar freeze (doesn't react on first click and I must click him once more). I try to override OnLButtonDblClk but my application never goes in to. I thing the problem are messages that are pushed to queue when pr...

Using ODBC to connect Access 2003 to sql server 2005 express
Hi, I am trying to join a access to my sql server. I made the ODBC connection ok and was able to bring the table up in Access, but. All the fields had #deleted in them. When I added new data in access, it should up on my sql server ok, but if I refresh the access spread sheet, the new data I entered got replace with #deleted. I did some resercah and found a comment about Access not knowing the key index, I open it in design vue and it had the key logo next to the id column. I need help!!!!! -Ted Answer: Chances are you are linking to a table that either does not have a pr...

Transforming first n nodes
I have a large xml (35MB) and I need to transform its top 200 rows using an xsl (in ASP.Net web app). Is this possible to do it in an efficient manner? Thanks. You can subclass XmlTextReader and make a custom one that only return first N elements. Then you can use it to load data into XPathDocument and do a transfer. Yan "Salman" <salman_z_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Oa7kJoiMEHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I have a large xml (35MB) and I need to transform its top 200 rows using an > xsl (in ASP.Net web app). > Is this possible to do it in an efficient...

Concatenate first:last! worksheet
I need to concatenate 150 rows in 50 different worksheets for a totals page, and may need to add additional worksheets in later versions. So, I need P7 in all 50 worksheets to be concatenated on P6 in the totals page, P8 in all worksheets to be concatenated on P7 in the totals page, etc. I am wondering if it's possible to use something like first:last! to concatenate the worksheet range, making it possible to include additional sheets added in before the current last worksheet. I am using "&" for the concatenate function now as I have more than 30 sheets ...

accessing email.
I have windows live messenger and I have a problem with accessing my hotmail through it. When i right click on the messenger icon and select "email inbox" nothing happens. When i first installed Windows live i was using google chrome when i un-installed chrome and went back to explorer i could no longer access email through messenger. i had to actually launch explorer and go msn hotmail then log in. is there a way around this? Greetings Charlie, There's lots of reasons this could be broken. To see what's going on and a possible workaround/fix, run my ...

Rearrange data in a column, Access 2003
I have a column that is for Page Numbers, and this particular table contains a letter in addition to the page number. Here are examples: 1A 3A 10A 1B 13B I would like to do 2 things: I would like to move the letter to the front formatted as "A- " and I would like to make one-digit numbers 2-digits so they will sort in the proper order. These letters are meaningful to the users. I would like to end up with: A- 01 A- 03 A-10 B- 01 B- 13 Can I do this? I've tried a few things that I found in other questions, but have not been able to get it to work. I assume I would use ...

Locating first blank cell
I am looking for a macro that will select the first blank (empty) cell in a given column please. Thanks, Mike Hi Mike Sub test() Dim GivenColumn As Long GivenColumn = 1 Columns(GivenColumn).Find(What:="", _ After:=Cells(1, GivenColumn), _ LookAt:=xlWhole).Select End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "Mike W" <mike@ehb-docks.fsbusiness.co.uk> skrev i melding news:dcq6va$97d$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk... > I am looking for a macro that will select the first blank (empty) cell in a > given column please. > > Thanks, > > Mike > > Brilliant...

Problems invoking an ActiveX object from a dll callback function
Hi all !! I have created an ActiveX component using Visual Basic 6.0 (ctlLedbutton). It is a special button. Then I have created the MFC dialog based application which is using this ActiveX component in VC++. The compiler has created the wrapper class for this button (CctlLedbutton). The buttons are placed in the main dialog window. The application is using this ActiveX objects with no problems (changing aspect and other things) Then I have created a Dll library which is also being used by the main program. This dll class (CMyDllClass) has a pointer to the main dialog class (CMyDlg) that h...

Calculate due date 1 or 2 years ahead to the first of the followi.
Issue date is June 12,2004. Certificate is valid ( 24 months ) to July 01, 2006. How do I create this is XL? Hi =DATE(YEAR(A1)+2,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Wayne wrote: > Issue date is June 12,2004. Certificate is valid ( 24 months ) to > July 01, 2006. How do I create this is XL? I modified your's ... does this make sence..seem's to work =DATE(YEAR(B2)+2,MONTH(B2)+1,DAY(B2)-DAY(B2)+1) "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > =DATE(YEAR(A1)+2,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) > > -- > Regards > Frank Kabel > Frankfurt, Germany >...