find instance of IE for server socket in activex component

Hi
I have an activex component that has a server socket (using casyncsocket
class) ..The problem is that when I have multiple instances of the IE open
only the first instance (created first) recieves the messages the rest do
not recieve the message. Is there a way to solve this problem .(i want the
server send the reply to that instance of ie that sent the message) .Do I
need to pass something like a pointer of  hte javascript object .If so how

Thanks
0
kahn (5)
4/21/2008 8:04:01 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

When you say "server socket", that suggests a socket that does a Listen followed by an
Accept.  Otherwise it is a client socket.

A client socket is a socket that talks to a server.  The confusion may arise here because
there are not actually mutliple instances of IE open; there is only one instance with
multiple "views".  This would require that you make your client socket local to the view,
but I've never looked into any of the issues of how this might be done.

You can have only one instance of a server socket per computer.

Please clarify.
				joe

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 01:04:01 -0700, kahn <kahn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi
>I have an activex component that has a server socket (using casyncsocket
>class) ..The problem is that when I have multiple instances of the IE open
>only the first instance (created first) recieves the messages the rest do
>not recieve the message. Is there a way to solve this problem .(i want the
>server send the reply to that instance of ie that sent the message) .Do I
>need to pass something like a pointer of  hte javascript object .If so how
>
>Thanks
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
4/21/2008 3:09:34 PM
I believe that the problem is not in ActiveX.

The problem comes from Socket.

If you do in Application(.exe), may occurs same problem.

Because, One system has one server.

When you open one port as server, you can not open same port, In TCP.

The one method to figure out this problem is using UDP.

But, UDP is not proper way to manage network traffic which you need.

--
WebSite :
  Realization of Dream { imagine your dream} -  http://rodream.net

WebMail :
  rodream@naver.com

"kahn" wrote:

> Hi
> I have an activex component that has a server socket (using casyncsocket
> class) ..The problem is that when I have multiple instances of the IE open
> only the first instance (created first) recieves the messages the rest do
> not recieve the message. Is there a way to solve this problem .(i want the
> server send the reply to that instance of ie that sent the message) .Do I
> need to pass something like a pointer of  hte javascript object .If so how
>
> Thanks
0
rodream (49)
4/22/2008 1:31:07 AM
Sorry for the confusion .Actually I have  a server listening to  port xxxx in
the activex .Basically what I want is that when ever any data is available to
the server it is sent to that active view of IE that requested for it.
(Exampl e we have 10 IE opened  and let's say that in the 2nd IE windows I
click 2+2 the result 4 is sent back through the server socket .Now I want the
data to be recieved only by the second view of IE not by any other ).

Again Do I need to send a pointer to the callback from the javascript or
something like that .If yes how if no what's the other way

Thanks

"rodream" wrote:

> I believe that the problem is not in ActiveX.
>
> The problem comes from Socket.
>
> If you do in Application(.exe), may occurs same problem.
>
> Because, One system has one server.
>
> When you open one port as server, you can not open same port, In TCP.
>
> The one method to figure out this problem is using UDP.
>
> But, UDP is not proper way to manage network traffic which you need.
>
> --
> WebSite :
>   Realization of Dream { imagine your dream} -  http://rodream.net
>
> WebMail :
>   rodream@naver.com
>

> "kahn" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have an activex component that has a server socket (using casyncsocket
> > class) ..The problem is that when I have multiple instances of the IE open
> > only the first instance (created first) recieves the messages the rest do
> > not recieve the message. Is there a way to solve this problem .(i want the
> > server send the reply to that instance of ie that sent the message) .Do I
> > need to pass something like a pointer of  hte javascript object .If so how
> >
> > Thanks
0
kahn (5)
4/22/2008 7:21:01 AM
It is still confusing.  "I have a server listing to port xxxx in the activex" does not
convey useful information.  You might say

"The activex control will act as a client, and attempt to establish communication to a
remote server at port xxxx"
or
"The activex control creates a server port on the client's machine, to which I will
establish communication"

If it is the first case, you need to worry about the fact that there is only one instance
of IE running, but lots of views; you would need to make sure the context of your client
app establishing the connection uses a page-local variable to represent the connection,
instead of a global variable.

If the answer is the second case, there's nothing you can do.  There can be exactly ONE
instance of a server socket on a machine for a given IP address.  That is, the pair
<IP,socket> can have only one instance, period.  If you need to do something complex in
this scenario, it is up to you to create protocols that will route the messages to the
appropriate view window, or whatever IE calls those windows internally.
					joe

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:21:01 -0700, kahn <kahn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the confusion .Actually I have  a server listening to  port xxxx in
>the activex .Basically what I want is that when ever any data is available to
>the server it is sent to that active view of IE that requested for it.
>(Exampl e we have 10 IE opened  and let's say that in the 2nd IE windows I
>click 2+2 the result 4 is sent back through the server socket .Now I want the
>data to be recieved only by the second view of IE not by any other ).
>
>Again Do I need to send a pointer to the callback from the javascript or
>something like that .If yes how if no what's the other way
>
>Thanks
>
>"rodream" wrote:
>
>> I believe that the problem is not in ActiveX.
>>
>> The problem comes from Socket.
>>
>> If you do in Application(.exe), may occurs same problem.
>>
>> Because, One system has one server.
>>
>> When you open one port as server, you can not open same port, In TCP.
>>
>> The one method to figure out this problem is using UDP.
>>
>> But, UDP is not proper way to manage network traffic which you need.
>>
>> --
>> WebSite :
>>   Realization of Dream { imagine your dream} -  http://rodream.net
>>
>> WebMail :
>>   rodream@naver.com
>>

>> "kahn" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi
>> > I have an activex component that has a server socket (using casyncsocket
>> > class) ..The problem is that when I have multiple instances of the IE open
>> > only the first instance (created first) recieves the messages the rest do
>> > not recieve the message. Is there a way to solve this problem .(i want the
>> > server send the reply to that instance of ie that sent the message) .Do I
>> > need to pass something like a pointer of  hte javascript object .If so how
>> >
>> > Thanks
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
4/22/2008 3:21:30 PM
ok sorry again
"The activex control creates a server port on the client's machine, to which
I will
establish communication"

So now how can i send the reply back to the window of ie

"Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:

> It is still confusing.  "I have a server listing to port xxxx in the activex" does not
> convey useful information.  You might say
>
> "The activex control will act as a client, and attempt to establish communication to a
> remote server at port xxxx"
> or
> "The activex control creates a server port on the client's machine, to which I will
> establish communication"
>
> If it is the first case, you need to worry about the fact that there is only one instance
> of IE running, but lots of views; you would need to make sure the context of your client
> app establishing the connection uses a page-local variable to represent the connection,
> instead of a global variable.
>
> If the answer is the second case, there's nothing you can do.  There can be exactly ONE
> instance of a server socket on a machine for a given IP address.  That is, the pair
> <IP,socket> can have only one instance, period.  If you need to do something complex in
> this scenario, it is up to you to create protocols that will route the messages to the
> appropriate view window, or whatever IE calls those windows internally.
> 					joe
>
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:21:01 -0700, kahn <kahn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Sorry for the confusion .Actually I have  a server listening to  port xxxx in
> >the activex .Basically what I want is that when ever any data is available to
> >the server it is sent to that active view of IE that requested for it.
> >(Exampl e we have 10 IE opened  and let's say that in the 2nd IE windows I
> >click 2+2 the result 4 is sent back through the server socket .Now I want the
> >data to be recieved only by the second view of IE not by any other ).
> >
> >Again Do I need to send a pointer to the callback from the javascript or
> >something like that .If yes how if no what's the other way
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >"rodream" wrote:
> >
> >> I believe that the problem is not in ActiveX.
> >>
> >> The problem comes from Socket.
> >>
> >> If you do in Application(.exe), may occurs same problem.
> >>
> >> Because, One system has one server.
> >>
> >> When you open one port as server, you can not open same port, In TCP.
> >>
> >> The one method to figure out this problem is using UDP.
> >>
> >> But, UDP is not proper way to manage network traffic which you need.
> >>
> >> --
> >> WebSite :
> >>   Realization of Dream { imagine your dream} -  http://rodream.net
> >>
> >> WebMail :
> >>   rodream@naver.com

> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

kahn (5)
4/22/2008 3:30:02 PM
Thanks for the reply

I am looking for a solution  for the second case .I am also thinking of a
protocol but am not been able to locate the corresponding IE window.Do I need
to send a fu

window .I think I need to send the funnction pointer of the javascript
callback fuction but I am not sure as to how to do this.Any help would be
appreciated

Thanks

"kahn" wrote:
> ok sorry againnction
> "The activex control creates a server port on the client's machine, to which
> I will
> establish communication"
>
> So now how can i send the reply back to the window of ie
>
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:
>
> > It is still confusing.  "I have a server listing to port xxxx in the activex" does not
> > convey useful information.  You might say
> >
> > "The activex control will act as a client, and attempt to establish communication to a
> > remote server at port xxxx"
> > or
> > "The activex control creates a server port on the client's machine, to which I will
> > establish communication"
> >
> > If it is the first case, you need to worry about the fact that there is only one instance
> > of IE running, but lots of views; you would need to make sure the context of your client
> > app establishing the connection uses a page-local variable to represent the connection,
> > instead of a global variable.
> >
> > If the answer is the second case, there's nothing you can do.  There can be exactly ONE
> > instance of a server socket on a machine for a given IP address.  That is, the pair
> > <IP,socket> can have only one instance, period.  If you need to do something complex in
> > this scenario, it is up to you to create protocols that will route the messages to the
> > appropriate view window, or whatever IE calls those windows internally.
> > 					joe
> >
> > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:21:01 -0700, kahn <kahn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Sorry for the confusion .Actually I have  a server listening to  port xxxx in
> > >the activex .Basically what I want is that when ever any data is available to
> > >the server it is sent to that active view of IE that requested for it.
> > >(Exampl e we have 10 IE opened  and let's say that in the 2nd IE windows I
> > >click 2+2 the result 4 is sent back through the server socket .Now I want the
> > >data to be recieved only by the second view of IE not by any other ).
> > >
> > >Again Do I need to send a pointer to the callback from the javascript or
> > >something like that .If yes how if no what's the other way
> > >
> > >Thanks

> > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> > email: newcomer@flounder.com
> > Web: http://www.flounder.com
> > MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

0
kahn (5)
4/22/2008 3:37:33 PM
I've not worked with IE or add-ins, so at this point, you'll have to rely on someone who
can explain how to find the window for which the data is destined.  Note that once you
create a server port, you are going to have to figure out how to connect each window to
it.  This is a very odd architecture, I might add.
					joe

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:37:33 -0700, kahn <kahn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply
>
>I am looking for a solution  for the second case .I am also thinking of a
>protocol but am not been able to locate the corresponding IE window.Do I need
>to send a fu
>
>window .I think I need to send the funnction pointer of the javascript
>callback fuction but I am not sure as to how to do this.Any help would be
>appreciated
>
>Thanks
>

>"kahn" wrote:
>> ok sorry againnction
>> "The activex control creates a server port on the client's machine, to which
>> I will
>> establish communication"
>>
>> So now how can i send the reply back to the window of ie
>>
>> "Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:
>>
>> > It is still confusing.  "I have a server listing to port xxxx in the activex" does not
>> > convey useful information.  You might say
>> >
>> > "The activex control will act as a client, and attempt to establish communication to a
>> > remote server at port xxxx"
>> > or
>> > "The activex control creates a server port on the client's machine, to which I will
>> > establish communication"
>> >
>> > If it is the first case, you need to worry about the fact that there is only one instance
>> > of IE running, but lots of views; you would need to make sure the context of your client
>> > app establishing the connection uses a page-local variable to represent the connection,
>> > instead of a global variable.
>> >
>> > If the answer is the second case, there's nothing you can do.  There can be exactly ONE
>> > instance of a server socket on a machine for a given IP address.  That is, the pair
>> > <IP,socket> can have only one instance, period.  If you need to do something complex in
>> > this scenario, it is up to you to create protocols that will route the messages to the
>> > appropriate view window, or whatever IE calls those windows internally.
>> > 					joe

>> > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> > email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> > Web: http://www.flounder.com
>> > MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)

Find Duplicate names and delate

Renaming Exchange 2003 Server computer name
Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without having to reinstall? Thanks for your help jericom@gmail.com (Jerico Max) wrote in news:bdd87ac0.0409221151.125dfb99 @posting.google.com: > Is there a way to rename an Exchange 2003 server computer name without > having to reinstall? This can get ugly. Proceed with caution. I'd recommend building a new server and moving mailboxes to it. You could use temporary hardware and rebuild your current server with your required name. Regards, -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ: http://www.exchangefaq.org Archives: htt...

Bill Yanaire learns SQL Server
Bill, You never help people here either. Why don't you just slither away too. You are just here to make noise and stir the pot. I have, and everyone who frequents this NG, has never witnessed you offering any type of helpfull advice to anyone. Please leave or STFU. Best Regards, Douglass McDonald Microsoft VIP ...

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

I clicked HTTP server what does incoming mail mean?
what do i type in incoming mail for HTTP server? "Diana" <Diana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D52686D-B5D6-4C49-899F-6D3D5C2079B9@microsoft.com... > what do i type in incoming mail for HTTP server? Do you mean SMTP server? If so ask your Internet Service Provider. the server url - it only works for hotmail, msn and Exchange OWA addresses. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ ...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

internet connection redundant for exchange server
Our company network has two internet connection with different ISP (two firewall and two NAT for two different range public IP). We only have one exchange sever which through one firewall NAT go to one ISP. I want to give redundant configuration in case of this internet connection is down. How do I do it? If the following configuration possible? 1. create second MX record. 2. set second firewall NAT point the exchange server. Is there any request for exchange server? Thanks shawn Shawn wrote: > Our company network has two internet connection with different ISP (two > firewall an...

CRM Environmental Diag Wizard, errors in SQL server
I am trying to trouble shoot an issue I am having with e-mail not being sent from our CRM server and I ran into another issue. I ran the CRM Environment Diag Wizard and came up with a warning that states the following. Job server_database_name_replaced.Update Contract States could not be found in the sysjobs table. I am not sure if this is something I should be concerned about, or even how to fix it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Joe I also noticed this in the summary on the line right below the error. Job Start_Incremental on server_database_name_replaced.ftcat_d...

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

cannot find database

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

Help removing 5.5 server after migration
I have migrated from an Exchange 5.5 environment to a Exchange 2003. I have moved all the mailboxes, public and system folders, also removed all the connectors and am able to shut off the 5.5 server and still have all Exchange tasks work. So, I'm now ready to remove the 5.5 server from my administrative group. All the guides say to connect to the SRS server using Exchange 5.5 administrator and delete the 5.5 server from the administrative group. However, when I try to connect to the SRS server, I get an error message: Network problems are preventing connection to the Microsoft Exchange...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Asynchronous Socket programing and Thread Pool
Hello ! We are developing a GPRS Connection GateWay Server. The Clients (remote devices) wil get connected to this Server and we are expecting about 50,000 to 100000 such connections within 30 min duration. The peak Load or concurrent load we are expecting is about 10,000 to 30,000 socket connections. And each socket session (collecting Data from remote device) lasting for about 10 to 60 seconds ,in this communcation around 25 commands to the device are sent and for each command the device will reply. We have chosen Asynchronous Socket I/O (with call back function i.e. ...

Grid component.
What is the common grid component called, which I can use in VB (VS 2008) ? Thanks : Am 23.03.2010 22:49, schrieb Mr. X.: > What is the common grid component called, which I can use in VB (VS 2008) ? This page... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xfak08ea.aspx ....says: DataGridView -- Armin Really depends which surface you use: Forms: DataGridView SilverLight and WPF: Grid ASPNet: GridView "Mr. X." <nospam@nospam_please.com> wrote in message news:u4g9tKtyKHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > What is the common grid component call...

how can i export all active email address on particular server
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_005C_01C6FCD5.344DB7E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable how can i export all active email address on particular server? ie. username email address abbc1 john.smith@abbco.com I have tried exporting the default address book, but there is no way to = export it. thanks ------=_NextPart_000_005C_01C6FCD5.344DB7E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quo...

Open worksheets in same Excel instance
I want worksheets I open to be in the same Excel instance instead of a new instance for each worksheet. I can't find the setting for this. The default is for the same instance of Excel to be used. Something changed it. Try re-registering Excel. From Start->Run enter "Excel.exe /regserver" (no quotes). There is a space before the slash. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP Apologies if a silly question, but you're sure you don't just have 'Windows in taskbar' selected yes? -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel ...

HQ Server crashed, no backup, suggestions?
Pretty much the worst case scenario has happened. Primary hard drive in a raid 1 array failed. Called hardware vendor for warranty support as system was still not booting even though the failed drive was degraded. Took the second supposedly working drive out and installed it into an external usb hard drive enclosure to backup the data before proceeding with the hardware vendor's technician. The drive has no data on it and windows asks me if I want to format it. What exactly happened here? The server has an ide raid controller built into the motherboard so it was being raided via har...