Fast alternative to table based state transition matrix

I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it 
was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer 
without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case 
statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case 
statement corresponding to states.

In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster 
depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than 
offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of 
reference.
0
Peter
5/20/2010 4:29:51 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

16 Replies
1188 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 18

"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message 
news:wtadnXb96NPj_mjWnZ2dnUVZ_r4AAAAA@giganews.com...
> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it was 
> explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer without 
> a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case statements 
> corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case statement 
> corresponding to states.
>
> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster 
> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than offset 
> the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of 
> reference.

There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and 
whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively 
determined through profiling.

Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.

/Leigh 

0
Leigh
5/20/2010 4:46:34 PM
On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
> news:wtadnXb96NPj_mjWnZ2dnUVZ_r4AAAAA@giganews.com...
>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>> statement corresponding to states.
>>
>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality
>> of reference.
>
> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
> determined through profiling.
>
> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>
> /Leigh

Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not 
even be aware of.

If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my posts.

0
Peter
5/20/2010 5:03:48 PM

"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message 
news:gaydndk9W-fp9mjWnZ2dnUVZ_rkAAAAA@giganews.com...
> On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> news:wtadnXb96NPj_mjWnZ2dnUVZ_r4AAAAA@giganews.com...
>>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>>> statement corresponding to states.
>>>
>>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality
>>> of reference.
>>
>> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
>> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
>> determined through profiling.
>>
>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>
>> /Leigh
>
> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not 
> even be aware of.
>
> If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my posts.
>

Spamming newsgroups with off-topic posts is more rude then somebody telling 
said spammer to cease and desist.  How many more threads are you going to 
create on this off-topic subject?  You must have created six so far.  None 
of them relate directly to the C++ programming language.

/Leigh 

0
Leigh
5/20/2010 5:10:30 PM
In other words, you got an AH-HA in Computer Science 101?  One would
thing that for a guy with an IQ of a Doctor (I say CockerRoach) you
wouldn't have to ask these silly questions.

BTW, once again, you went to another forum and told a lie:

    "I was wondering if there is a generally faster way to
     implement a DFA recognizer than by using a state transition
     matrix.

     I already asked this question on several other groups and
     never received any definitive answer."

You were told by my count 3-4 people  here the same exact answer you
got over there.  The difference and this is the bottom line with you,
the fellow over there PROVIDED you with an example simple CS 101 piece
of code.

The thing is, you are probably biting your lip because he only provide
1/2 code example,  You have to figure out the rest - and that will
take you another 11 years!

--
HLS
Peter Olcott wrote:
> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
> statement corresponding to states.
>
> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of
> reference.
0
Hector
5/20/2010 5:10:37 PM
Oh.  A techhique that has been known to me for about 40 years.  And one which I pointed
out.
			joe

On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:29:51 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it 
>was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer 
>without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case 
>statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case 
>statement corresponding to states.
>
>In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster 
>depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than 
>offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of 
>reference.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
Joseph
5/20/2010 5:14:32 PM
There is nothing rude about stating that there is nearly always more than one way to
achieve something, or suggesting a google search string.

Could you point out PRECISELY where this person was "rude"?  

My career prospects never suffered from my being outspoken.  On the contrary, I have been
very successful.
			joe

On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:03:48 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> news:wtadnXb96NPj_mjWnZ2dnUVZ_r4AAAAA@giganews.com...
>>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>>> statement corresponding to states.
>>>
>>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality
>>> of reference.
>>
>> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
>> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
>> determined through profiling.
>>
>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>
>> /Leigh
>
>Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not 
>even be aware of.
>
>If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my posts.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
Joseph
5/20/2010 5:16:37 PM
On 5/20/2010 12:10 PM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>
>
> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
> news:gaydndk9W-fp9mjWnZ2dnUVZ_rkAAAAA@giganews.com...
>> On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>>> news:wtadnXb96NPj_mjWnZ2dnUVZ_r4AAAAA@giganews.com...
>>>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>>>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>>>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>>>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>>>> statement corresponding to states.
>>>>
>>>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>>>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>>>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality
>>>> of reference.
>>>
>>> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
>>> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
>>> determined through profiling.
>>>
>>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>>
>>> /Leigh
>>
>> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may
>> not even be aware of.
>>
>> If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my
>> posts.
>>
>
> Spamming newsgroups with off-topic posts is more rude then somebody
> telling said spammer to cease and desist. How many more threads are you
> going to create on this off-topic subject? You must have created six so
> far. None of them relate directly to the C++ programming language.
>
> /Leigh

I posted this thread to cut to the chase of the other thread to reduce 
the amount of discussion on the other thread. The other thread was 
endlessly debating this point, now this thread provides the end to that 
endless debate. There is no need to repond to this thread.
0
Peter
5/20/2010 5:18:14 PM
On 5/20/2010 12:16 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> There is nothing rude about stating that there is nearly always more than one way to
> achieve something, or suggesting a google search string.
>
> Could you point out PRECISELY where this person was "rude"?
>

This
 >>>and then go away.

> My career prospects never suffered from my being outspoken.  On the contrary, I have been
> very successful.
> 			joe
>
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:03:48 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com>  wrote in message
>>> news:wtadnXb96NPj_mjWnZ2dnUVZ_r4AAAAA@giganews.com...
>>>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>>>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>>>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>>>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>>>> statement corresponding to states.
>>>>
>>>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>>>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>>>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality
>>>> of reference.
>>>
>>> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
>>> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
>>> determined through profiling.
>>>
>>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>>
>>> /Leigh
>>
>> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not
>> even be aware of.
>>
>> If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my posts.
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

0
Peter
5/20/2010 5:19:47 PM
"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message 
news:LZqdnVcWS8NL82jWnZ2dnUVZ_qOdnZ2d@giganews.com...
> On 5/20/2010 12:10 PM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>
>>
>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> news:gaydndk9W-fp9mjWnZ2dnUVZ_rkAAAAA@giganews.com...
>>> On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:wtadnXb96NPj_mjWnZ2dnUVZ_r4AAAAA@giganews.com...
>>>>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>>>>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>>>>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>>>>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>>>>> statement corresponding to states.
>>>>>
>>>>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>>>>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>>>>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality
>>>>> of reference.
>>>>
>>>> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
>>>> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
>>>> determined through profiling.
>>>>
>>>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>>>
>>>> /Leigh
>>>
>>> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may
>>> not even be aware of.
>>>
>>> If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my
>>> posts.
>>>
>>
>> Spamming newsgroups with off-topic posts is more rude then somebody
>> telling said spammer to cease and desist. How many more threads are you
>> going to create on this off-topic subject? You must have created six so
>> far. None of them relate directly to the C++ programming language.
>>
>> /Leigh
>
> I posted this thread to cut to the chase of the other thread to reduce the 
> amount of discussion on the other thread. The other thread was endlessly 
> debating this point, now this thread provides the end to that endless 
> debate. There is no need to repond to this thread.

So this thread was intended to simply be you stamping your foot? :)  Really 
I think you should spend less time ruminating here and spend more time 
implementing and profiling stuff.  You have caused me to waste time here 
also.

/Leigh 

0
Leigh
5/20/2010 5:26:54 PM
And so did a few others repeated the obvious in the comp.lang.c++ group.

The difference?

No one provided example CODE like the dude over in the comp.theory 
which peter sadly said he got no answers here and comp.lang.c++.

Problem for Peter?

The dude only provided 1/2 code. Its eating Peter alive he has to 
figure out the other half! <g>

That what will take him to another sorry thread in some other sorry group:

     Hi, I have a new technology that is guaranteed to be the
     fastest thing since roach racing.

     But I only got 1/2 a C/C++ solution by this other guy
     in another group. Why can't people be 100% complete
     like I am when they are helping me?  Can you give me
     the 2nd half of this code provided to me?

     Bonus: 30% stock in my invention for anyone who helps.
     When it is completed in 2024, you will be a BILLIONAIRE!

--
HLS

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> Oh.  A techhique that has been known to me for about 40 years.  And one which I pointed
> out.
> 			joe
> 
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:29:51 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
> 
>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it 
>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer 
>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case 
>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case 
>> statement corresponding to states.
>>
>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster 
>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than 
>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of 
>> reference.
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

0
Hector
5/20/2010 5:28:52 PM
On 5/20/2010 12:26 PM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
> news:LZqdnVcWS8NL82jWnZ2dnUVZ_qOdnZ2d@giganews.com...
>> On 5/20/2010 12:10 PM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>
>> I posted this thread to cut to the chase of the other thread to reduce
>> the amount of discussion on the other thread. The other thread was
>> endlessly debating this point, now this thread provides the end to
>> that endless debate. There is no need to repond to this thread.
>
> So this thread was intended to simply be you stamping your foot? :)
> Really I think you should spend less time ruminating here and spend more
> time implementing and profiling stuff. You have caused me to waste time
> here also.
>
> /Leigh

You are definitely right on this. I do enjoy talking here though, and 
several people have provided excellent advice, including you. I do still 
focus too much on optimization. This has the disadvantage of making 
development cost more. I am getting better and better at ignoring moot 
optimizations.

There are advantages to focusing on optimization at the design stage. 
The system is fundamentally designed to be fast, and no redesign is ever 
needed to improve speed. I do still err too much on the side of 
optimization.
0
Peter
5/20/2010 5:39:10 PM
On 5/20/2010 12:14 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Oh.  A techhique that has been known to me for about 40 years.  And one which I pointed
> out.
> 			joe

You only mentioned a case statement not a set of case statements nested 
within a case statement. Since I was already using a case statement in 
my own table driven code it was not immediately obvious what you were 
referring to because you failed to provide this extra missing detail.

I would guess that this case within case design would tend to be 
somewhat slower, but, it is too close to call without direct measurement.

>
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:29:51 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com>  wrote:
>
>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>> statement corresponding to states.
>>
>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of
>> reference.
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

0
Peter
5/20/2010 5:43:09 PM
On May 20, 1:43 pm, Peter Olcott <NoS...@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
> On 5/20/2010 12:14 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>
> > Oh.  A techhique that has been known to me for about 40 years.  And one which I pointed
> > out.
> >                    joe
>
> You only mentioned a case statement not a set of case statements nested
> within a case statement. Since I was already using a case statement in
> my own table driven code it was not immediately obvious what you were
> referring to because you failed to provide this extra missing detail.

No he didn't.  You failed to have the LOGIC, COMPETENCE, IQ, and
IMAGINATION that nested and/or recursive based state transitions logic
are par for the course. Even CockRoachers understand that.  There is
no need explain anything to you, just like I told you in one line:

      And your uinderstanding is WRONG!

in regards to your moronic statement about C/C++ limited to ASCII.
One line is all that was needed.  Lets see,  it looked like it took
20+ mail tag messages before you realized how pathetic and wrong you
were - AGAIN.

Peter, didn't you say were a computer science major? Top 10 or 15 in
your class?  Or is that yet another fib?  What school did you attend
and what year did you graduate?
0
Hector
5/20/2010 7:08:26 PM
This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.
The Internet standard for MIME PGP messages, RFC 2015, was published in 1996.
To open this message correctly you will need to install E-mail or Usenet
software that supports modern Internet standards.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-11280-1274393194-0005
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Peter Olcott writes:

> On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>
>> /Leigh
> 
> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not 
> even be aware of.

So is holier-than-though snobbishness.



--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-11280-1274393194-0005
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEABECAAYFAkv1smoACgkQx9p3GYHlUOKCcwCbBh33E9fFTpy58Ck+eJIfctXT
OCAAn3/pKY5s3x0qcJgkQTYuXdupST+T
=oWFK
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-11280-1274393194-0005--
0
Sam
5/20/2010 10:06:35 PM
Duh!  The usual way to write this is

#define MAKESTATE(state, ch) MAKELONG(state, _T(ch))
typedef enum {S0, ...} states;

states state = S0;

while(*p != _T('\0'))
   {
    swtich(MAKESTATE(state, *p)
        {
         case MAKESTATE(S0, '0'):
         case MAKESTATE(S0, '1'):
	....
          case MAKESTATE(S0, '9'):
               state = STATE_NUMBER;
               p++;
               continue;
           case MAKESTATE(S0, '(')
	state = STATE_OPEN_PAREN;
	p++;
                continue;

THis is first-semester intro-to-C stuff.
				joe

On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:43:09 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>On 5/20/2010 12:14 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> Oh.  A techhique that has been known to me for about 40 years.  And one which I pointed
>> out.
>> 			joe
>
>You only mentioned a case statement not a set of case statements nested 
>within a case statement. Since I was already using a case statement in 
>my own table driven code it was not immediately obvious what you were 
>referring to because you failed to provide this extra missing detail.
>
>I would guess that this case within case design would tend to be 
>somewhat slower, but, it is too close to call without direct measurement.
>
>>
>> On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:29:51 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>>> statement corresponding to states.
>>>
>>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality of
>>> reference.
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
>> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
Joseph
5/20/2010 11:55:23 PM
That was not rude, that was what we call "wishful thinking".
					joe

On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:19:47 -0500, Peter Olcott <NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>On 5/20/2010 12:16 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> There is nothing rude about stating that there is nearly always more than one way to
>> achieve something, or suggesting a google search string.
>>
>> Could you point out PRECISELY where this person was "rude"?
>>
>
>This
> >>>and then go away.
>
>> My career prospects never suffered from my being outspoken.  On the contrary, I have been
>> very successful.
>> 			joe
>>
>> On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:03:48 -0500, Peter Olcott<NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> On 5/20/2010 11:46 AM, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>>> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam@OCR4Screen.com>  wrote in message
>>>> news:wtadnXb96NPj_mjWnZ2dnUVZ_r4AAAAA@giganews.com...
>>>>> I got this answer from comp.theory. It was completely obvious once it
>>>>> was explained. It is trivially simple to create a DFA based recognizer
>>>>> without a state transition matrix data table. Simply encode case
>>>>> statements corresponding to inputs within the case elements of a case
>>>>> statement corresponding to states.
>>>>>
>>>>> In at least some cases the (case within case) method might be faster
>>>>> depending upon whether or not memory is reduced enough to more than
>>>>> offset the higher case statement overhead to increase cache locality
>>>>> of reference.
>>>>
>>>> There is nearly always more than one way of achieving the same goal and
>>>> whether or not one way is faster than another can only be definitively
>>>> determined through profiling.
>>>>
>>>> Google for "premature optimization" and then go away.
>>>>
>>>> /Leigh
>>>
>>> Rudeness can quickly kill your career prospects in ways that you may not
>>> even be aware of.
>>>
>>> If you don't like what I am saying then simply do not respond to my posts.
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
>> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
Joseph
5/20/2010 11:56:48 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

fast search in file
Hi, quick questions, what would be the best choice for fastest caching method (to the file)? I need fast inserting and retrieving data (searching) from that file. thanks You may want to investigate a database format like .mdb or other ISAM methods. If you are just searching through text you may want to use CStdioFile to search line by line through the file. Tom "alladyn" <alladyn@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OgSrseCqFHA.3104@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > quick questions, what would be the best choice for > fastest caching method (to the file)? I need fas...

BOM Import using Table Import in GP
It is my undersanding that the BOM information only exists in 3 tables, BOM HEADER, BOM LINE and TARD1001 for reference designators. Can I use the Tablle import to add new BOMs to the system? Does the table import wipe out the whole table? Would I have to extract the data first, append the new bom data and re-import? Or will it append new records?( I understand the risk of no data validation). -- Sheri Salomone THANKS! Hi Sheri. 1. Yes, you can use the table import to add new BOMs (I used to do this years ago when I was in support & consulting). 2. No, the table import does not...

Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided CRecordset class
Hey Friends Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided CRecordset class. vikrant wrote: > Hey Friends > > Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided > CRecordset class. > > Yes. The CATALOG sample in MSDN shows how. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] vikrant, Yes... You can use access the system tables directly, especially using a CRecordset object connected to a Database object that is associated with the database in question and this SQL statement: SELECT Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE ( Flags=0) AND (Typ...

VB to see if file is present and linked table question.
Hi All, We presently have 3 databases that the user open's exclusively, then backs them up. Then they also, have to disconnect linked tables, then do some reports then relink them. They're doing this manually. I know it can be done with a push of a button. I'm creating another database just to run the backups and linked table My questions are: 1. Doing a backup is nothing more then copying the file to the backup folder, but I need to make sure it is not open by someone prior. I can look to see if the .ldb is present. How would I accomplish this? And is ...

Slow, fast, fast, slow
I hope I post correct here. Got myself a new Dell M65 with an NVIDIA Quadro FX 350M on board. Switching from a generic Intel Graphics GPU on another pc, I find Visio not performing as expected. Other software (Adobe, OpenGL software) runs just fine. Any ideas on what to tune to improve the redrawing speed of Visio. Dragging objects is well, urmmm, a drag... Tnx Philip rarely has to do with the graphics card, usually not enough memory. al "Philip De Jonghe" <pdj@biz.tiscali.be> wrote in message news:OhiqTqhmGHA.4164@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I hope I post correct he...

Can I share a table template I created in Quick Tables?
I have created a few table templates and saved them into the Quick Tables in Word. I would like to make these available for other users of my document. What can I do to make these ready available in their Quick Tables short of saving them individually to each work station? Can they import or save them when they open your document? "brigla5" wrote: > I have created a few table templates and saved them into the Quick Tables in > Word. I would like to make these available for other users of my document. > What can I do to make these ready available in th...

fast tiimer with MFC
Hey All, For my purposes the Standards Windows Timer (eg. CWnd::SetTimer(1, 1, NULL)) is too slow - regardless of the time-out value I set, it is going to be at least 55 milliseconds between WM_TIMER messages. So I want to use the QueryPerformanceCounter() function to compare very small time intervals. Now, if using win api32 I would know how (and where) to place this code (in the message pump fragment), but I am using MFC. So where can I place this code in a loop within the MFC framework? I'm just using a simple dialog based app. In a method of the dialog class? Which One? Or in the app...

Trying to set up account, geting nowhere FAST!
From: "Lenora" <lmandre@windstream.net> Subject: Understanding what Microsoft Communities Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 5:41 PM Hello out there! What is Microsoft Communities all about? Is it something that comes with no charge when you get Microsoft Vista? This is the 4th computer I've had (besides ones at work). First a Compaq that I loaded everything I could from work, the computer guy gave me stuff...did work at home, brought it back to work, and visa versa. Second was a re-built computer that was given to me by a man in the town we had moved to...out of the g...

excel format for worksheet and table
can any one please guide me regarding the work-sheet format and the number of tables it may contain?, the XML tags and attributes for XLSX? thanks Homework? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "MG" <adhkashdkaskdhk@adjkaskldaklsjdl.sasdk;adk;l> wrote in message news:ebvTHHM2HHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > can any one please guide me regarding the work-sheet format > and the number of tables it may contain?, > > the XML tags and attributes for XLSX? > > thanks > > > > > Tables are a fe...

extracting data from a pivot table
I have a need to use data from a pivot table on other worksheets in my file. The problem is that when a pivot table changes the data in the cells do not update to my other parts of the spreadsheet accurately. ...

returning the path of a linked table in VBA
Is there any way to capture the path of a linked table (say, tblContacts) in VBA? Thanks in advance, Paul "Paul" <BegoneSpam@forever.com> wrote in message news:OiW7FV4qKHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to capture the path of a linked table (say, tblContacts) > in VBA? Parse it from the Connect property of the TableDef, e.g.: CurrentDb.TableDefs("tblContacts").Connect -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than ...

A table with two fields pointing to the same field in another table
Hi, I have a table called Test. This table includes two fields called "Start_Date_Name" and "Finish_Date_Name". These fields hold the primary Id of a row in another table called Date_Properties, which has a field called "Date_Name". Typical values for Date_Name include "Test 1, 2006"; "Test 5, 2007". I wish to have a query which produces a table like this - Test Name Start_Date_Name Finish_Date_Name Barry's Test Test 1, 2006 Test 1, 2007 Barry's 2nd Test Test 4, 2006 Test 1, 2007 Liam's Test Test 1, 2005 Test 4, 2008 The proble...

Time Based Calculations
-- Sanjay Jain Gurgaon Haryana India Try Chip's page at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm#AddingTimes -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "jain_sanju" <jain_sanju@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:CE322259-89C9-4D71-865D-A07B24F0DDF2@microsoft.com... Re: Time Based Calculations > > -- > Sanjay Jain > Gurgaon > Haryana > India That's not a whole lot to go on but if the times are entered as XL times then mulitply the times by 24 to turn them into numbers that can be used in calc...

How to retrieve all data of a table(with only 3 rows and 3Columns) in only one row in a view?
Hi i have a table table1 in sql server database with 3 columns and 3 Rows like Column1 Column2 Column3 Data 11 Data 12 Data 13 Data 21 Data 22 Data 23 Data 31 Data31 Data 33 i would like to create a view view1 based on table1 which retrieve data like Column1 Column2 Column3 Column1 Column2 Column3 Column1 Column2 Column3 Data 11 Data 12 Data 13 D...

SetWarnings alternative that "Okays" error messages
I have some macros that are running quite a few exports of queries and also some maketable queries. I'm wanting for them to run WITHOUT me watching over them and clicking "Yes" to making a new table and the like. It is also likely that I will get an error message such as "n Records were not written due to conversion errors...". I am prepared to drop these records and I really don't care about them as I know that the data I am importing and querying is unreliable in several fields. Is there a way to turn off these error messages and just export the whole thing witho...

Shockwave flash object and 'interactive' state
Hi, I'm using MFC wrapper for shockwave flash object to play swf files. On rare occasions I run into files that cause the flash to return 'interactive' state (3) instead of 'complete' (4). I can't find any info on how to handle such state or if it is even possible to play these files using the object. Can anyone please let me know what that state means and how to handle it? Any pointers to on-line docs will be appreciated. Thanks, Bogdan ...

locking bar chart colors in pivot tables
I use pivot charts frequently, and change the data displayed frequently. I would like to "lock" my stacked bar chart colors so that my largest data segment in the legend always displays blue in my stacked bars, my second largest data segment always displays red, etc. As Debra Dalgleish points out, loss of formatting is a known problem with pivot charts. There's information in the following MSKB article, suggests recording a macro as you apply the formatting: XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting http://support.microsoft.com/?id=215904 To apply colo...

hiding rows based on cell contents
I would like to hide an entire row whenever the contents of one cell in that row equals 0. Is there any way to do this? Any column, a specific column, or range of columns. You would need a macro and once you know how to use macros you would generally post in excel.programming. Getting Started with Macros -- install and invoke your macro http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm Actually you could use AutoFilter if only one column to select 0 Ctrl+A to select all cells (all columns) Data, Filter, AutoFilter Click on the drop down arrow on your column of interest Ctrl+;...

Creating a custom table...
A couple of issues regarding table creation. I want to insert a set of tables in a document header, but so they appear in the middle (vertically) of the page concerned. I want them in the header so the user cannot inadvertantly modify the table contents directly without actively entering into the header: 1. I have a dialog where a user can specify the number of rows that must be in a table. For example if they enter 4 then the table must be created and inserted with 4 rows and 2 columns. There are always 2 columns - how do I achieve the table creation and insertion at a specific...

Merging cells accepts changes in table -- Word 2007
I have a 47-page table with some really funky formatting. I hope I can describe it so you can picture what I'm describing. The first four columns of the table have tall cells that serve as a "header row" for the last six columns. Each of these header rows is tall enough that it spans from five to forty rows in the the last six columns. The person who built the table merged cells vertically in the first four columns in order to create the effect. In many cases, these header rows needed to span a page break, so the person who built the table started a new row for ...

inserting pictures into table
i am doing a yearbook, so i created a table, with hidden lines, and within each cell i would like to insert a photo of a child, but they do not automatically fit into the cell, i have over 300 students to do. what is an easier way to insert the photo into the cell? You certainly have your work cut out for you. Place the cursor in a cell, fill, fill effects, picture tab. All of Publisher menus are tear-offs, you might want to tear off the fill menu, saves a click or two. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "bran...

Scrolls too fast.
I have a document that scrolls down much further than it should. What I mean is that the document is only 600 entries, but when the little scroll marker is at the very bottom, it goes all the way down to 14495. Normally scroll markers do not go down this far. For example, another file that has 332 entries, goes to 340 when the scroll marker is at the bottom. This makes the scroll bar virtually useless since every tiny movement takes the spreadsheet several hundred entries down instead of going down slower, like in sets of 10ish. I would really appreciate it if someone could help m...

Creating a Table of Contents in Excel
I need to print a Workbook with a Table of Contents Worksheet that AUTOMATICALLY lists the page numbers for each individual Worksheet when the Workbook is printed. Example: Pricing 2 Revenue 4 HeadCount 5 I have a great example of this already in a workbook. I'll be glad to send it to you, upon your request... Contact me at jmay@cox.net. "Scott" <nsbradley@comcast.net> wrote in message news:01a801c35232$4426ecf0$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I need to print a Workbook with a Table of Contents > Worksheet that AUTOMATICALLY lists the page numbers for > ea...

vlookup and Access Database Table
Can vlookup be used to get a result from an Access Database Table? Thanks. The vlookup function itself is an Excel function and as such can only retrieve data from an excel sheet. However you may be able to use the import external data menu option in the Data menu to retrieve your data from the access database, pull it into your excel workbook and then use the vlookup function. I never tried this myself, but maybe the idea can be applied. -- Jeroen van Nieuwkerk "finster26" wrote: > Can vlookup be used to get a result from an Access Database Table? > > Thanks....

Table formatting lost
I receive emails that started off in Excel as a short table. The sender then cuts and pastes into Outlook. When the message arrives it has lost all formatting for the table. Is there any solution apart from sennding as an Excel attachment? Do the copy as a Picture and then paste in Outlook. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007k "him@privacy.net" wrote: > I receive emails that started off in Excel as a short table. The > sender then cuts and pastes into Outlook. When the message arrives it > has lost all formatting for the table. Is there any solution apart > from se...