Exporting Classes from DLL

This is something I haven't played with before at all so perhaps someone
could help me out.

I would like to write a DLL in C++ that exposes a class that could be used
from either C++ or a .NET language.

Is there anything special I need to do to export such a class? Any potential
problems? Perhaps there is a Web site that discusses this?

Thanks!

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits

0
jwood (1291)
2/14/2005 11:31:01 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Consult your MSDN documentation. Here are some tips.
There are following ways that you can export your classes to .....
Suppose you have a DLL name Win32DLL then you can use the following lines in your header
file.
#ifdef WIN32DLL_EXPORTS
#define WIN32DLL_API __declspec(dllexport)
#else
#define WIN32DLL_API __declspec(dllimport)
#endif
or if you create a win32 dll in VSIDE then VSIDE will give you these lines for your dll
files. Then just add the following for your class objects.
class WIN32DLL_API MyClass {
    // your class defination......
};
and you are all set? There is another way that you can export and import your class
objects. Like using Module defination file (.def).

"Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> This is something I haven't played with before at all so perhaps someone
> could help me out.
>
> I would like to write a DLL in C++ that exposes a class that could be used
> from either C++ or a .NET language.
>
> Is there anything special I need to do to export such a class? Any potential
> problems? Perhaps there is a Web site that discusses this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits
> http://www.softcircuits.com
> Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

0
Lord2702 (51)
2/15/2005 1:13:08 AM
I am guessing you meant your dll to be imported from managed and unmanaged
code. Few options that I know of are: Write a COM server and use traditional
COM from umanaged code and COM interop in managed code to access it(I have a
feeling you dont like this idea). Second option is to make a regular DLL
export your functionality and then use it as would in a unmanged code. For
managed code you can use PInvoke to access its exported methods.

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

"Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> This is something I haven't played with before at all so perhaps someone
> could help me out.
>
> I would like to write a DLL in C++ that exposes a class that could be used
> from either C++ or a .NET language.
>
> Is there anything special I need to do to export such a class? Any
potential
> problems? Perhaps there is a Web site that discusses this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits
> http://www.softcircuits.com
> Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

0
ajaykalra (6841)
2/15/2005 1:26:50 AM
Ajay,

> I am guessing you meant your dll to be imported from managed and unmanaged
> code. Few options that I know of are: Write a COM server and use
traditional
> COM from umanaged code and COM interop in managed code to access it(I have
> feeling you dont like this idea). Second option is to make a regular DLL
> export your functionality and then use it as would in a unmanged code. For
> managed code you can use PInvoke to access its exported methods.

Well, I really did mean a DLL that can be exported to C++ or a .NET
language. Although I suppose the latter assumes the possibility of being
called from managed code.

Writing a COM server would probably triple the size of my DLL. So I don't
feel too comfortable with that route.

I'm considering just exporting standard C functions--that should be callable
from anywhere. But if I could export a class, it would look a bit nicer.

I'm not familiar with PInvoke so I have no idea if that relates more to
managed .NET code or unmanaged C++ code. I'll see if I can find out what you
mean about that.

Thanks.

> --
> Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
> ajaykalra@yahoo.com
>

> "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > This is something I haven't played with before at all so perhaps someone
> > could help me out.
> >
> > I would like to write a DLL in C++ that exposes a class that could be
used
> > from either C++ or a .NET language.
> >
> > Is there anything special I need to do to export such a class? Any
> potential
> > problems? Perhaps there is a Web site that discusses this?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan Wood
> > SoftCircuits
> > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits
http://www.softcircuits.com
Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

0
jwood (1291)
2/15/2005 2:12:20 AM
I've only used DEF files for exporting standard C-like functions.

I've seen declspec(...) but am not sure how you could then access the
objects from a .NET language such as C#, etc.

Thanks.

--

"Lord2702" <Lord2702@MSN.com> wrote in message
> Consult your MSDN documentation. Here are some tips.
> There are following ways that you can export your classes to .....
> Suppose you have a DLL name Win32DLL then you can use the following lines
in your header
> file.
> #ifdef WIN32DLL_EXPORTS
> #define WIN32DLL_API __declspec(dllexport)
> #else
> #define WIN32DLL_API __declspec(dllimport)
> #endif
> or if you create a win32 dll in VSIDE then VSIDE will give you these lines
for your dll
> files. Then just add the following for your class objects.
> class WIN32DLL_API MyClass {
>     // your class defination......
> };
> and you are all set? There is another way that you can export and import
your class
> objects. Like using Module defination file (.def).
>
> "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > This is something I haven't played with before at all so perhaps someone
> > could help me out.
> >
> > I would like to write a DLL in C++ that exposes a class that could be
used
> > from either C++ or a .NET language.
> >
> > Is there anything special I need to do to export such a class? Any
potential
> > problems? Perhaps there is a Web site that discusses this?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan Wood
> > SoftCircuits
> > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

0
jwood (1291)
2/15/2005 2:14:01 AM
> Well, I really did mean a DLL that can be exported to C++ or a .NET
> language.

What does it mean? Do you mean you want a managed module to be able to call
your module?

> Writing a COM server would probably triple the size of my DLL.

Why?

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

> Ajay,
>
> > I am guessing you meant your dll to be imported from managed and
unmanaged
> > code. Few options that I know of are: Write a COM server and use
> traditional
> > COM from umanaged code and COM interop in managed code to access it(I
have
> > feeling you dont like this idea). Second option is to make a regular DLL
> > export your functionality and then use it as would in a unmanged code.
For
> > managed code you can use PInvoke to access its exported methods.

 Although I suppose the latter assumes the possibility of being
> called from managed code.

So I don't
> feel too comfortable with that route.
>
> I'm considering just exporting standard C functions--that should be
callable
> from anywhere. But if I could export a class, it would look a bit nicer.
>
> I'm not familiar with PInvoke so I have no idea if that relates more to
> managed .NET code or unmanaged C++ code. I'll see if I can find out what
you
> mean about that.
>
> Thanks.
>

> > --
> > Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
> > ajaykalra@yahoo.com
> >

> > "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
> > > This is something I haven't played with before at all so perhaps
someone
> > > could help me out.
> > >
> > > I would like to write a DLL in C++ that exposes a class that could be
> used
> > > from either C++ or a .NET language.
> > >
> > > Is there anything special I need to do to export such a class? Any
> > potential
> > > problems? Perhaps there is a Web site that discusses this?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jonathan Wood
> > > SoftCircuits
> > > http://www.softcircuits.com
> > > Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
> > >

> --
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits
> http://www.softcircuits.com
> Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

0
ajaykalra (6841)
2/15/2005 2:29:04 AM
Ajay,

> > Well, I really did mean a DLL that can be exported to C++ or a .NET
> > language.
>
> What does it mean? Do you mean you want a managed module to be able to
call
> your module?

I would like it to be callable from .NET languages, whatever that entails.
As I indicated, I suppose this could mean the possibility of being called
from managed code. But I'm not that knowledgeable about this and so I really
can't define it further than that.

> > Writing a COM server would probably triple the size of my DLL.
>
> Why?

Well, I also don't have a whole lot of experience writing COM servers so I
could be a little off about this. But to answer you question, the code I'm
writing isn't very complex and could be written very compactly using C++ or
even C. I assume a COM server requires at least a type library. I am also
assuming there's a bunch of code that would be required to implement the COM
interface.

Why do you ask. Are you saying only a tiny amount would be added to
implement a COM interface?

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits
http://www.softcircuits.com
Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

0
jwood (1291)
2/15/2005 8:48:46 PM
> I would like it to be callable from .NET languages, whatever that entails.
> As I indicated, I suppose this could mean the possibility of being called
> from managed code.

Then original reply is valid. However another approach would be to use MC++.
You could have two dlls, one which does the exporting traditional way and
another way is simply a managed wrapper around the old fashioned dll. 1st
DLL will have nothing to do with managed code while the second dll will be
written in C++ and would be a managed module. This is far less laborious
than COM.

> Are you saying only a tiny amount would be added to
> implement a COM interface?

COM overhead is negligible compare to MFC. COM servers are typically not
written in MFC; ATL is a better chioce (all templates with significant less
overhead than MFC).

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

> Ajay,
>
> > > Well, I really did mean a DLL that can be exported to C++ or a .NET
> > > language.
> >
> > What does it mean? Do you mean you want a managed module to be able to
> call
> > your module?
>
> I would like it to be callable from .NET languages, whatever that entails.
> As I indicated, I suppose this could mean the possibility of being called
> from managed code. But I'm not that knowledgeable about this and so I
really
> can't define it further than that.
>
> > > Writing a COM server would probably triple the size of my DLL.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Well, I also don't have a whole lot of experience writing COM servers so I
> could be a little off about this. But to answer you question, the code I'm
> writing isn't very complex and could be written very compactly using C++
or
> even C. I assume a COM server requires at least a type library. I am also
> assuming there's a bunch of code that would be required to implement the
COM
> interface.
>
> Why do you ask. Are you saying only a tiny amount would be added to
> implement a COM interface?
>
> --
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits
> http://www.softcircuits.com
> Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

0
ajaykalra (6841)
2/17/2005 5:11:51 AM
Ajay,

> COM overhead is negligible compare to MFC. COM servers are typically not
> written in MFC; ATL is a better chioce (all templates with significant
less
> overhead than MFC).

I've written COM DLLs in the past using ATL.

However, this particular DLL will require neither MFC nor ATL because, as I
originally explained, the code is quite simple. I'm still guessing that
adding a COM interface would require as much work as the code itself, and
would probably add at least as much size to the DLL as the actual code to
accomplish the needed task.

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits
http://www.softcircuits.com
Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

0
jwood (1291)
2/17/2005 5:58:35 PM
If you are not using MFC for this code, go with ATL *if* you want to
expose it using COM. ATL used to have parameters to configure your
server for size/speed etc. It will add almost no overhead. You can do
it using a basic boiler plave ATL created wizard and see the size etc.

You should look at MC++ though. That route is easier IMO.

--------
Ajay Kalra
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

0
ajaykalra (6841)
2/17/2005 6:07:19 PM
Well, while I'd love to take the time to learn all about ATL, I can't really
justify doing so right now, particularly when the technology doesn't really
seem to be going anywhere at the moment.

I did try creating a simple ATL project, removing those options that didn't
seem necessary. I then selected Add Class and chose ATL Simple Object, which
causes the message "ATL classes can only be added to ATL, MFC EXE and MFC
Regular DLL projects." I'm obviously doing something wrong but probably
don't have time to find out what.

MC++: Microsoft C++?

Thanks.

--

> If you are not using MFC for this code, go with ATL *if* you want to
> expose it using COM. ATL used to have parameters to configure your
> server for size/speed etc. It will add almost no overhead. You can do
> it using a basic boiler plave ATL created wizard and see the size etc.
>
> You should look at MC++ though. That route is easier IMO.
>
> --------
> Ajay Kalra
> ajaykalra@yahoo.com

0
jwood (1291)
2/18/2005 12:41:39 AM
Ajay,

Okay, I guess I made an ATL server object when I needed to create just an
ATL project.

I created a new class without adding any members and it compiled to about
48KB. While that is not "almost no overhead," it isn't a whole lot.

Unfortunately, there are so many options available in the Wizards (COM+ 1.0,
component registrar support, threading model, interface, aggregation, etc.)
that this is just not my area of expertise and the project being discussed
won't pay enough for me to learn now.

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits
http://www.softcircuits.com
Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm

> If you are not using MFC for this code, go with ATL *if* you want to
> expose it using COM. ATL used to have parameters to configure your
> server for size/speed etc. It will add almost no overhead. You can do
> it using a basic boiler plave ATL created wizard and see the size etc.
>
> You should look at MC++ though. That route is easier IMO.
>
> --------
> Ajay Kalra
> ajaykalra@yahoo.com

0
jwood (1291)
2/18/2005 12:50:51 AM
> MC++: Microsoft C++?

No, Managed Extensions to C++ or Managed C++. C++ allows you to mingle
native and managed code.

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

> Well, while I'd love to take the time to learn all about ATL, I can't
really
> justify doing so right now, particularly when the technology doesn't
really
> seem to be going anywhere at the moment.
>
> I did try creating a simple ATL project, removing those options that
didn't
> seem necessary. I then selected Add Class and chose ATL Simple Object,
which
> causes the message "ATL classes can only be added to ATL, MFC EXE and MFC
> Regular DLL projects." I'm obviously doing something wrong but probably
> don't have time to find out what.
>
> MC++: Microsoft C++?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits
> http://www.softcircuits.com
> Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm
>

> "Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > If you are not using MFC for this code, go with ATL *if* you want to
> > expose it using COM. ATL used to have parameters to configure your
> > server for size/speed etc. It will add almost no overhead. You can do
> > it using a basic boiler plave ATL created wizard and see the size etc.
> >
> > You should look at MC++ though. That route is easier IMO.
> >
> > --------
> > Ajay Kalra
> > ajaykalra@yahoo.com

0
ajaykalra (6841)

Contacts export display X400 not SMTP

Export to XML exports single row only

Export / Import Security

Export item ID?

How to stop looking for "msgr2GE.dll" ?
How can I stop the Spellchecker in German to stop looking first for "msgr2GE.dll" if I have the next version, "msgr3GE.dll" installed and it works fine. It is just such a nuisance that it always comes up first. I looked through the registry and deleted everything referring to "msgr2GE.dll" but it still comes up whenever I use Spellcheker in German. This is using it with windows xp and outlook 2000. ...

Exporting email in Outlook Express

What is an Excel "class not registered" error.
Every time I open Microsoft Excel I get a "Class Not Registered" error. It states "Looking for object with CLSID:{*********************} What is this? It would seem that Excel has fouled up its own internal registration. Close Excel, go to the Windows Start menu, choose Run, and enter Excel.exe /regserver Excel will start, do its internal housekeeping task, then exit. Now try to start Excel normally. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "weberts2" <weberts2@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Exporting to Powerpoint

Export Image Package
I have an access application that has stored .JPG images within the database as a "Package". How can I export the image back to a normal .jpg file so that it can be read by a normal (non ole server) imaging application? ...

CDocument Class
Hello, I have created a MFC project, that is SDI, and I am wondering if it is possible to tell the Open function within the Document to open a specific file from say a registry value, or a value that I specify? Thanks in advance. Sincerely, James Simpson Straightway Technologies http://straightway.no-ip.com James Simpson wrote: > Hello, > I have created a MFC project, that is SDI, and I am wondering if it is possible to tell the Open function within the Document to open a specific file from say a registry value, or a value that I specify? > Thanks in advance. > > Sincerely, ...

missing DCCEXT32.DLL and SBCMSYNC.DLL
After installing windows office xp for students and teachers on a brand new PC, and downloading cumulative updates from Office Update, I get the following messages when starting Outlook: First: The add-in "DCCEXT32.DLL" could not be installed or loaded. The problem may be resolved by using detect and repair on the help menu. Second: The add-in "C:\program files\microsoft office\office\sbcmsync.dll" could not be installed or loaded. The problem may be resolved by using detect and repair on the help menu. This worked fine when I first installed it (prior to up...

Export registry key
Hi, Is there an API to Export and Extract a registry key in a text format ? I need to simulate the operation that is done by the user of exporting a key (and creating a .reg file in a text format). I do not want to use RegSaveKey/RegRestorekey which work in a binary format. Yoav. I believe you will have to do this yourself. There is no Automation or exported function interface to RegEdit, and that .Reg file concept is a feature of that program. However, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to do this, using RegEnumKeyEx and RegEnumValue or the CRegKey class, use a CStdioFile object...

Reverse of export to database
Ave, I would like to generate a Visio drawing starting from an Access database which contains the results of an 'export to database' of an existing drawing. I found import possibilities from Excel, csv, txt files, but not from databases. I'm using Visio 2002 Professional. Greetings, Are you trying to import the data from the database tables or the database schema? If it is the database schema, run the Database modeling template (File \ New \ Database \ Database model diagram) If you want to get the data, try the "Link to Database" dialog (Tools \ Macros \ Visio Extras...

Export from Excel to Word
I have a 20 page Excel document that has a LOT of formating involved, it is text not data. Is there a way that I get it into Word without having to redo all the formatting? It is 11x17, landscape. Yes: Select the area you wish to copy. While holding the SHIFT key pull-down: Edit > Copy Picture... In the Word document, just paste. Because you have pasted a picture, the formatting will be preserved. Also because its a picture, yo can re-size it as you choose. -- Gary's Student "kath0178" wrote: > I have a 20 page Excel document that has a LOT of formating inv...

Export email addresses including aliases
Hi I have a medium organization with 5 different domains so each user has 5 to 10 email aliases. I can't find a way (an easy way) to export all email addresses into a script file so I can create accounts on our off-site anti-spam provider. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO EXPORT EMAIL ALIASES IN EXCHANGE 2000 Thank you, Shawn. "Shawn" <slafferty@allcovered.com> wrote: >I have a medium organization with 5 different domains so each user has 5 to 10 email aliases. I can't find a way (an easy way) to export all email addresses into a script file so I can create accounts on o...

Converting a dialog box application into a dll
I have a dialog box mfc application and I would like to convert it into a regular or extended mfc dll. Is it possible and how? Regards Galia I forgot to indicate that that I have the original source of the dialog box. The enviroment is VC 6.0. Regards Galia "Galia" <galia@mandi.com> wrote in message news:#4VCCF5GIHA.4112@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I have a dialog box mfc application and I would like to convert it into a > regular or extended mfc dll. > > Is it possible and how? > > Regards > > Galia > > Applications have a lot of "bagg...

Can I export my Publisher document into MS Word?
Does anyone know how I can export my Publisher document into MS Word? Hi Matt (matthew_removethis_@mccallister.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Does anyone know how I can export my Publisher document || into MS Word? No you cannot. You can open one instance of Publisher and one instance of Word and copy/paste between the two programs, or do a CTRL+Drag and Drop between the two programs. Some formatting will be lost however. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

Export
Can I add a control to my form that when clicked the form will be exported to a pdf or mht file? I'm using InfoPath 2003. Thanks, Joel I put this question in the wrong place. Sorry "JoelS" wrote: > Can I add a control to my form that when clicked the form will be exported to > a pdf or mht file? I'm using InfoPath 2003. > > Thanks, > > Joel ...

Outlook export csv contacts screws up email addresses (why?)
There must be a way to prevent Outlook from screwing up email addresses upon import and subsequent export of a csv file into and out of the contacts? But how? Here's what happens consistently with Outlook 2003 on Windows XP. I import this two-line csv test file into my Outlook contacts. Note this test file contains an email address which is not in my company Exchange server (apparently). LASTNAME,FIRSTNAME,PHONE,EMAIL Bar,Foo,123-456-7890,foo@bar.com When I export these contacts, the result is a different format: "LASTNAME","FIRSTNAME","PHONE","EM...

Morphed SKU Numbers on export to Excel
I am exporting an RMS Items report to Excel to send to my new on-line shopping cart provider. One of the pieces of data needs to be the RMS SKU #. I use a combination of 4 or 5 digit internally generated SKUs, plus the typical bar code wanded numbers where items are manufacturer barcoded. When the file opens in Excel, most of the manufacturer barcode SKUs are morphed. Some look fine, but many are morphed with decimals and letters included. The morphed ones do not appear that way in the RMS database. Any ideas?? These look fine: 84692000135 Taylor's Vintage '03 Ruby Port 8...

Mass VCard Export/Save As
How can I save multiple selected contacts as VCards? I see I can do this individually, but not en masse. My goal is to transfer my contacts to my IPod, but I can't find any freeware solutions for this. Chris google suggests : http://outport.sourceforge.net/ "Chris" <AccessCaz@pobox.com> wrote in message news:%23rA4$igzDHA.1100@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > How can I save multiple selected contacts as VCards? I see I can do this > individually, but not en masse. My goal is to transfer my contacts to my > IPod, but I can't find any freeware solutions for this...

Export Web List
I am using Visio 2002 to capture the structure and content exsisting web sites. After that is done is there a way to export the contents of the List window into Excel or Access? Thank you for your help! Hi Pamela, When you are running the Web Diagram solution template in Visio 2002, select the "Reports" item from "Web" menu. If you have Excel installed on the machine, it will be one of the report output options. I hope this helps. -- Dick Hamilton Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Pa...

Class Wizard funkiness
Hello all, After deleting Class Wizard's .clw file and trying to regenerate it, there are problems with a few of my classes, including the one I particularly care about. I get this error: "Cannot find the header file for class "RemoteServerConfigDlg". Continue creating the ClassWizard database?" There is nothing unusual about my dialog, its corresponding class or the locations of the associated files except for one thing: My dialog is not derived directly from CDialog; there is one user-defined class between CDialog and my dialog, and this user class is in a separ...

Using XMLSerializer With internal classes
I have a C# class that is declared as internal. I do not want it to be visible outside of the library of code that I am implementing. However, I do want to be able to serialize it to XML under certain circumstances. The class only contains public properties, however, when I attempt to serialize it with the XMLSerializer, I gat an InvalidOperationException. If I simply change the protection level of the class to public, everything works fine, except the class become accessible to classes outside the namespace. Is there any way to allow XMLSerializer to work with internal classes? L. Bushki...