error C2663: 'ATL::CSimpleStringT<BaseType>::GetBuffer' : 2 overloads have no legal conversion for 'this' pointer

Ive only done a little compiling in VS 2003 with wxWidgets.  Im trying
to compile
source code that was developed under VS6.0 under VS 2003 and Im
getting the
following error:

error C2663: 'ATL::CSimpleStringT<BaseType>::GetBuffer' : 2 overloads
have no legal conversion for 'this' pointer
        with
        [
            BaseType=TCHAR
        ]

from this line:

ReadLog(logFiles.GetAt(0).GetBuffer(0));

where logFiles is a CStringArray

Can anyone help me fix this properly and get it to compile properly?
I looked at it but cant figure it out.

Thanks in advance
0
jeep (6)
11/14/2008 9:21:23 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:21:23 -0800 (PST), Bob <jeep@rahul.net> wrote:

>Ive only done a little compiling in VS 2003 with wxWidgets.  Im trying
>to compile
>source code that was developed under VS6.0 under VS 2003 and Im
>getting the
>following error:
>
>error C2663: 'ATL::CSimpleStringT<BaseType>::GetBuffer' : 2 overloads
>have no legal conversion for 'this' pointer
>        with
>        [
>            BaseType=TCHAR
>        ]
>
>from this line:
>
>ReadLog(logFiles.GetAt(0).GetBuffer(0));
>
>where logFiles is a CStringArray
>
>Can anyone help me fix this properly and get it to compile properly?
>I looked at it but cant figure it out.

I don't see any reason it should fail, unless GetAt(0) is returning a const
CString or const CString&. What happens if you write it like this:

   CString s = logFiles.GetAt(0);
   ReadLog(s.GetBuffer(0));

BTW, is that GetBuffer(0) correct, and are you sure you're not subject to
buffer overruns?

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:47:39 -0600, "Doug Harrison [MVP]" <dsh@mvps.org> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:21:23 -0800 (PST), Bob <jeep@rahul.net> wrote:
>
>>Ive only done a little compiling in VS 2003 with wxWidgets.  Im trying
>>to compile
>>source code that was developed under VS6.0 under VS 2003 and Im
>>getting the
>>following error:
>>
>>error C2663: 'ATL::CSimpleStringT<BaseType>::GetBuffer' : 2 overloads
>>have no legal conversion for 'this' pointer
>>        with
>>        [
>>            BaseType=TCHAR
>>        ]
>>
>>from this line:
>>
>>ReadLog(logFiles.GetAt(0).GetBuffer(0));
>>
>>where logFiles is a CStringArray
>>
>>Can anyone help me fix this properly and get it to compile properly?
>>I looked at it but cant figure it out.
>
>I don't see any reason it should fail, unless GetAt(0) is returning a const
>CString or const CString&. What happens if you write it like this:
>
>   CString s = logFiles.GetAt(0);
>   ReadLog(s.GetBuffer(0));
***
This would make a copy of the CString in location 0 of the array.  The meaning of
ReadLog() is unspecified; if it is
	ReadLog(LPTSTR p);
then this would damage random memory, because GetBuffer(0) would return a buffer of 0
length.

This looks like a poor implementation of a way to read the lines of a log into an array.
It reads into the 0th element of the array (so why is there an array at all?) and gets a
buffer of length 0 into which to put it.

Among other things, it looks like someone asking how to get bad code to work to solve an
unspecified problem.  Perhaps a specification of the problem might lead to a reasonable
solution.  For example, why does ReadLog apparently want an LPTSTR when a CString & would
have been a better choice?
				joe
****

>BTW, is that GetBuffer(0) correct, and are you sure you're not subject to
>buffer overruns?
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15977)
11/14/2008 10:14:40 PM
On Nov 14, 3:14=A0pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
> See below...
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:47:39 -0600, "Doug Harrison [MVP]" <d...@mvps.org>=
 wrote:

> >On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:21:23 -0800 (PST), Bob <j...@rahul.net> wrote:
>
> >>Ive only done a little compiling in VS 2003 with wxWidgets. =A0Im tryin=
> >>to compile
> >>source code that was developed under VS6.0 under VS 2003 and Im
> >>getting the
> >>following error:
>
> >>error C2663: 'ATL::CSimpleStringT<BaseType>::GetBuffer' : 2 overloads
> >>have no legal conversion for 'this' pointer
> >> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0with
> >> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0[
> >> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0BaseType=3DTCHAR
> >> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0]
>
> >>from this line:
>
> >>ReadLog(logFiles.GetAt(0).GetBuffer(0));
>
> >>where logFiles is a CStringArray
>
> >>Can anyone help me fix this properly and get it to compile properly?
> >>I looked at it but cant figure it out.
>
> >I don't see any reason it should fail, unless GetAt(0) is returning a co=
nst
> >CString or const CString&. What happens if you write it like this:
>
> > =A0 CString s =3D logFiles.GetAt(0);
> > =A0 ReadLog(s.GetBuffer(0));

That fixed it.  Thank you!  I didnt write this code, a client wants
me to modify it to do some extra stuff, so someone else wrote some
poor code apparently.  The client bought the source from some company.

Thanks again
0
jeep (6)
11/14/2008 11:06:39 PM
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:06:39 -0800 (PST), Bob <jeep@rahul.net> wrote:

>> >I don't see any reason it should fail, unless GetAt(0) is returning a const
>> >CString or const CString&. What happens if you write it like this:
>>
>> > � CString s = logFiles.GetAt(0);
>> > � ReadLog(s.GetBuffer(0));
>>

>That fixed it.  Thank you!  I didnt write this code, a client wants
>me to modify it to do some extra stuff, so someone else wrote some
>poor code apparently.  The client bought the source from some company.
>
>Thanks again

At this point, I was just trying to understand why it wasn't compiling.
Your result would seem to confirm that GetAt(0) is returning a const
CString or const CString&, and you should be able to verify that by looking
at the CStringArray class, comparing VC6 to VC.NET 2003. The original code
apparently was intended to update the CStringArray, and this altered code
does not; it merely updates the copy of the string returned by GetAt(0)
stored in the local variable "s". So I would think you've got some more
work to do.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP
<newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:

>See below...
>On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:47:39 -0600, "Doug Harrison [MVP]" <dsh@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:21:23 -0800 (PST), Bob <jeep@rahul.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Ive only done a little compiling in VS 2003 with wxWidgets.  Im trying
>>>to compile
>>>source code that was developed under VS6.0 under VS 2003 and Im
>>>getting the
>>>following error:
>>>
>>>error C2663: 'ATL::CSimpleStringT<BaseType>::GetBuffer' : 2 overloads
>>>have no legal conversion for 'this' pointer
>>>        with
>>>        [
>>>            BaseType=TCHAR
>>>        ]
>>>
>>>from this line:
>>>
>>>ReadLog(logFiles.GetAt(0).GetBuffer(0));
>>>
>>>where logFiles is a CStringArray
>>>
>>>Can anyone help me fix this properly and get it to compile properly?
>>>I looked at it but cant figure it out.
>>
>>I don't see any reason it should fail, unless GetAt(0) is returning a const
>>CString or const CString&. What happens if you write it like this:
>>
>>   CString s = logFiles.GetAt(0);
>>   ReadLog(s.GetBuffer(0));

NB: I suggested that code not as a solution but to test the hypothesis that
preceded it. Sorry if that wasn't clear, and see my reply to the OP for
additional follow-up.

>This would make a copy of the CString in location 0 of the array.  The meaning of
>ReadLog() is unspecified; if it is
>	ReadLog(LPTSTR p);
>then this would damage random memory, because GetBuffer(0) would return a buffer of 0
>length.

Right, which is why I immediately followed the above with:

>>BTW, is that GetBuffer(0) correct, and are you sure you're not subject to
>>buffer overruns?

It could be expected to work right only if the string had a preset length
greater than any that could be retrieved by ReadLog, which seems very risky
and strange to me. (AFAIK, GetBuffer(n) for n < the CString's current
capacity won't shrink the capacity.)

>This looks like a poor implementation of a way to read the lines of a log into an array.
>It reads into the 0th element of the array (so why is there an array at all?) and gets a
>buffer of length 0 into which to put it.
>
>Among other things, it looks like someone asking how to get bad code to work to solve an
>unspecified problem.  Perhaps a specification of the problem might lead to a reasonable
>solution.  For example, why does ReadLog apparently want an LPTSTR when a CString & would
>have been a better choice?
>				joe

Good questions all, but the guy was trying to get his existing code which
apparently worked before to work once again, and the newer compiler
refusing the existing code may indicate a flaw in the existing code. If we
can figure out why the newer compiler isn't liking the code, a design flaw
or two might become apparent.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP
"Bob" <jeep@rahul.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Im trying
> to compile
> source code that was developed under VS6.0 under VS 2003 and Im
> getting the
> following error:
>
> error C2663: 'ATL::CSimpleStringT<BaseType>::GetBuffer' : 2 overloads
> have no legal conversion for 'this' pointer
>[...]
> from this line:
>
> ReadLog(logFiles.GetAt(0).GetBuffer(0));
>
> where logFiles is a CStringArray

CStringArray::GetAt() of VC6 is different from CStringArray::GetAt() of
VS2008 (a.k.a. VC9). I verified that opening afxcoll.h file in both versions
(<afxcoll.h> is where CStringArray class is defined).
I don't have VS.NET 2003 (VC7.1) installed on this PC, but I think that
VC7.1 definition is the same of VS2008.

So, in good old VC6 CStringArray::GetAt() is declared like this:

  CString GetAt(int nIndex) const;

This means that GetAt() returns a "deep" copy of the string (not just a
reference), so GetAt() can be qualified as const, and the caller can modify
the string returned by GetAt() (because the modifications to the returned
string do not impact the string stored in the collection).

Instead, in more modern VCs, the prototype of GetAt() is this:

  const CString& GetAt(INT_PTR nIndex) const;

This means that GetAt() returns a *const reference* to the string at nIndex
position. So, you *can't* modify that string, because it is a const
reference.

But if you write code like this - like Doug posted:

  CString s = logFiles.GetAt(0);

then a deep copy is created from the const reference returned from GetAt(),
and you can modify 's' (you are *not* touching the string in the
collection).

If you want to modify the string in the collection at given position, you
may want to use ElementAt(), which has this prototype:

  CString& ElementAt(int nIndex);

So, it returns a non-const reference to string at given index, and you can
modify the content of that string.

HTH,
Giovanni

"Doug Harrison [MVP]" <dsh@mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio

> At this point, I was just trying to understand why it wasn't compiling.
> Your result would seem to confirm that GetAt(0) is returning a const
> CString or const CString&, and you should be able to verify that by
> looking
> at the CStringArray class, comparing VC6 to VC.NET 2003. The original code
> apparently was intended to update the CStringArray, and this altered code
> does not; it merely updates the copy of the string returned by GetAt(0)
> stored in the local variable "s". So I would think you've got some more
> work to do.

I verified that the prototype of CStringArray::GetAt() in VC6 is

  CString GetAt(int nIndex) const;

so also in VC6 he is modifying a copy of the string (not the string in the
collection).

In modern version of VS the prototype returns a const reference to CString
(const CString &), and the compiler correctly complains (because the OP
can't modify a const CString &).

Maybe there is a bug in the original code, and it showed now after upgrading
to more modern VS? :)

If the OP wants to modify the string in the collection, I think he should
use ElementAt(), which returns a CString &.

(BTW: CStringArray interface is kind of confusing - another reason for me to
prefer std::vector< CString > or vector< wstring >).

Giovanni

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 11:01:58 +0100, "Giovanni Dicanio"
<giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote:

>I verified that the prototype of CStringArray::GetAt() in VC6 is
>
>  CString GetAt(int nIndex) const;
>
>so also in VC6 he is modifying a copy of the string (not the string in the
>collection).
>
>In modern version of VS the prototype returns a const reference to CString
>(const CString &), and the compiler correctly complains (because the OP
>can't modify a const CString &).

Ah, that explains it then.

>Maybe there is a bug in the original code, and it showed now after upgrading
>to more modern VS? :)

The question is, which original code was more at fault? :) The OP's code
was wrong, but it compiled only due to a design flaw in the VC6
CStringArray.

>If the OP wants to modify the string in the collection, I think he should
>use ElementAt(), which returns a CString &.
>
>(BTW: CStringArray interface is kind of confusing - another reason for me to
>prefer std::vector< CString > or vector< wstring >).

I've never used CStringArray, but I guess ElementAt must also have been
available in VC6. It is indeed very confusing to have the two functions
GetAt and ElementAt. Only the latter is essential, and there is no concept
of "GetAt" for arrays anyway. That is, either the array is an array of
const or it is not, and it is that which determines the type of element you
get when you access the array, not the means of accessing it.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP

pivottable refresh #2
I want to proctect a portion of a worksheet that also contains a PivotTable. Is there a setting that will allow the sheet to be protected and still let the pivot table be refreshed? ...

Replication and the 2 SQL Jobs "REPL-Snapshot"
Replication and the 2 SQL Jobs "REPL-Snapshot". We have disabled the jobs for 6 months. >From research my understanding is that these jobs just need to be run once to create the files in the mscrm/unc....folders. Once those files are created this job may be turned off. If any schema changes are made these would then need to be run again so that changes get reflected on the clients MSDE. I am after confirmation that the above is indeed correct The Sync is also very slow . Any advises ...

Excel Progrom Error

Ask 2 MSFT Experts About v8.0 Security
Hello all, Welcome to the first Business Solutions Community discussion held directly in the Microsoft Great Plains newsgroup. During the week of September 20th, Microsoft Escalation Engineer Kelly Youells and Microsoft Senior Development Consultant David Musgrave will answer your version 8.0 security questions directly in this newsgroup thread. How is this different than any other week in the newsgroup? While product experts like Kelly and David may frequent the newsgroup during their workweek to answer as many questions as they can, they don't necessarily *solicit* questions o...

Data Migration Problem #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C4C0C4.D0290A10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Bonjour all, I have been struggling with the data migration problem for a long = time... and get stuck in the middle of the road. I am importing company data from either excel or text files into the = cdf_Product table of SQL server (cdf_mscrm database) using the SQL Query = Analyzer, where a problem is encountered that in the table structure, = there exists the product id as the primary key (data type: SQLI...

Sharebuilder account import error

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

ERROR

owner drawn Clistctrl #2
can any one tell me how to insert item using draw item() function and a local structure (which contains the data to be inserted)in Clistctrl ?? thanks in advance, ramz ...

error, chkdsk

Access 2.0 Converter 09-27-04
I have installed the converter for moving from Access 2.0 to Access 2003 running under Windows XP Professional. However Access 2003 still tells me I need to convert the database and does not recognise the converter has been installed, so points me again to the Microsoft Website to obtain the converter. Any suggestions please. Hi Colin, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups. Are you sure that you ran the .exe file for the Access 2.0 Converter so that it was installed? To download the Access 2.0 Converter free of charge, visit the following Micro...

4.4.7 error

error 0x800CCC0F

delete server...routing master error

Excel error codes translations

Re: Money 2004

Visual Studio 7 project subfolders #2
I know this may not be the exact group to ask this in, but in VS6.0 I used to be able to create subfolders within a project to keep my classes divided up conveniently. I just got VS7, however, and i can't seem to find any way to create subfolders. I can create subfolders for an entire SOLUTION, but not within a project. Am I missing or forgetting something here? Thanks! Duy Lam ...

Technical error

CObject Private method access error

Error in closing Outlook

Merge 2 Outlook
Outlook 2003 I am trying to copy appointments from a "sub calendar" to the main calendar in the Personal Folders. For some reason the only way I seem to be able to do this at all is to put the source calendar in the events view giving me a list then I can highlight and copy and paste them all to the main calendar, for some reason I am only getting the all day events and none of the timed appointments. surely there must be an easier way. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance... Bob Try a category view instead - this gives you all your calendar items, = not just events....

Typing message error