Encryption

I have a query on encrption. DES means encrytion, so is
DES a standard method, or just the term for encryption?
And what is the difference between DES and DES3?

Thanks.

0
anonymous (74722)
10/17/2003 7:30:45 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

hi
   DES is one of the algorithms for encryption.
There are a number of algorithms/methods for encryption, DES happens to
be one of them. Some of the others are RSA, AES etc.
hth
gangadhar

Tomy wrote:
> I have a query on encrption. DES means encrytion, so is
> DES a standard method, or just the term for encryption?
> And what is the difference between DES and DES3?
>
> Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.
So DES and DES3 are two different algorithms and there are
standard way to do, right?

0
anonymous (74722)
10/17/2003 7:49:58 AM
Yes, DES is one standard way of doing it.
IIRC, DES is 56 bit encryption and DES3 (triple DES) is your data encrypted
3 times using DES. Although DES3 is DES 3 times, it's equivalent to 112 bit
encryption (2 * 56 bit).

--
Bjarne Nielsen

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Thanks for your reply.
> So DES and DES3 are two different algorithms and there are
> standard way to do, right?

Email encryption
I need an email encryption program that allows recipients to open the email with password. When email closes it will encrypt again. This is to prevent anyone walking by the computer from being able to open the email thanks for any help On 3/2/2010 2:45 PM, smltec wrote: > I need an email encryption program that allows recipients to open the email > with password. When email closes it will encrypt again. This is to prevent > anyone walking by the computer from being able to open the email > > thanks for any help Encryption has to be implemented at both ends. ...

Formula Encryption
Please can you let me know if you can encrypt a formula in excel? Thank you. Ra, You can put your formula into a function and lock down the code. -- Regards, Eddie http://www.HelpExcel.com "Ra" wrote: > Please can you let me know if you can encrypt a formula in excel? > > Thank you. ...

Opening Windows Encrypted Documents with Mac Office 08
Hi, I'm a new Mac user and was wondering - if I had locked a document with Windows Vista (it has the file extension .ueaf) do you know how I would be able to open it using Mac Office 2008? I can't find an 'unlock' or 'decrypt' option in the menu. Thanks! On 2/28/08 7:20 PM, in article ee8f21f.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "capucina67@officeformac.com" <capucina67@officeformac.com> wrote: > Hi, > I'm a new Mac user and was wondering - if I had locked a document with Windows > Vista (it has the file extension .ueaf) do you know how I would be ...

somewhat unrelated issue : encrypted email alert
Hello I have a user who tried to send the Winzip executable via email and since the day he sent it symantec AV (corporate ed, version 9) sends this email out daily: Symantec AVF detected that you sent a message with an encrypted attachment Subject of the message: None Recipient of the message: user@domain.com (not the real email address, changed just to avoid all the spam bots) Encrypted attachment: winzip63.exe Would anyone know how to resolve this, for it keeps sending this email daily, but there is nothing in the user's outbox? If someone can clarify the issue that would be g...

turn off encryption
can not send emails, have ran encryption and cant get it off Can you explain the problem with a bit more detail? Include the outlook version, type of account (pop/imap/exchange) exactly what you did and what happens when you try to send mail - include any error messages you get. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQ...

Encryption
I have a query on encrption. DES means encrytion, so is DES a standard method, or just the term for encryption? And what is the difference between DES and DES3? Thanks. hi DES is one of the algorithms for encryption. There are a number of algorithms/methods for encryption, DES happens to be one of them. Some of the others are RSA, AES etc. hth gangadhar Tomy wrote: > I have a query on encrption. DES means encrytion, so is > DES a standard method, or just the term for encryption? > And what is the difference between DES and DES3? > > Thanks. > Thanks for your ...

Encryption?
Dear NG: Any thoughts on encrypting the .mny file? Is it safe? Is it preferred? Kevin You don't say how you have in mind doing this. Something like PGPdisk or WinXP Encrypting File System should work fine and relatively transparently. Is it safe? That depends on the quality of the tool and your ability to remember the passphrase. Is it preferred? To what? I think many more people lose their Money data to lack of backups, corruption problems, inopportune reformats/reinstalls, etc., than lose privacy of their data to computer security problems and to people trying to exploit these pro...

Pasword protected Excel file encrypted, how do I read this file?
I password protected an important file. My husband downloaded the Office 2003 upgrade last night. Now when I try to access the file I get this message...This is an Excel file, I don't know why it looks encrypted or why I can't access it. This file is not in a recognizable format. If you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with Microsoft Office Excel, click Cancel, then open this file in its orginal application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft office Excel, save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format. If you suspect the...

message encryption
Apparently I do not understand message encryption and signing in Outlook. I'm running Outlook 2003 under WinXP Pro. I have a digital ID obtained from Verisign, its valid through March 18, 2004. The name on the ID is my name, and the e- mail address on the ID is my default work e-mail address (dlr@rowelllawoffice.com). In Outlook | Tools | Options | Security, the "Security Settings Name" is set to "Standard Security," and that is the only entry in the drop-down list. When I click "Settings," the "Change Security Settings" page opens; the fo...

trying to unravel an encrypted string that was encrypted in dotnet managed code.
I posted this yesterday in the security.crypto newsgroup but thought this might be more appropriate. if I were using WinCrypt.h, etc. how would the following have to change for the decryption portion. I will be encrypting in managed code and need to decrypt in a service component that is unmanaged C++. thank you. -Greg arguments passed into this would be an encrypted xml string and two byte arrays, one the key and one the inititialization vector. using System.Security.Cryptography; using System.IO; RC2CryptoServiceProvider rc2 = new RC2CryptoServiceProvider(); rc2.IV = iniitialization_ve...

encrypting a password!
Hi All, Can someone point me on how to encrypt and decrypt a password using vc++1.52? Is it possible to call a com object from vc++ 1.52? If so, how can I do it? Is there a link you can point me to? Thanks. .... VC++ 1.52???? -- - Mark Randall http://zetech.swehli.com "Those people that think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" Isaac Asimov <dbcuser@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1125519905.446448.38890@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi All, > > Can someone point me on how to encrypt and decrypt a password using > vc...

about 64-bits encryption and 128-bits encryption
How do I encrypt the gived string using 64-bits or 128-bits on PC platform? How do I decrypt them after encrypt? Thanks. Regards, Miken _____________________________________________________ http://www.msale.net/bbs a Chinese-language message board for developers,including palm,ppc,symbian,and etc. http://www.zirong.net Miken's private life,and digital diaries >How do I encrypt the gived string using 64-bits or 128-bits on PC platform? >How do I decrypt them after encrypt? Mike, Have a look at the CryptoAPI facilities. Functions such as CryptEncrypt & CryptDecrypt. If yo...

Can excel data be encrypted?
I have Employee numbers that I want to encrypt so the employees cant be identified. Can this be done in excel and how? Thank you. "Confused" wrote: > I have Employee numbers that I want to encrypt > so the employees cant be identified. Can this be > done in excel and how? Almost anything can be done "in Excel" if you are willing to program in VBA ;-). There might be good free or for-payment solutions available. I don't know. For my own purposes, I wrote my own macros that encode/decode using a fairly simple algorithm based on a user-input ...

Encryption recommendations?
I'm looking for a free encrypter/decrypter. Inside the box, the object is an xml file which may or may not be unicode. I have successfully used blow fish. Try it out. IIRC, I used the source available on this site: http://www.schneier.com/blowfish.html -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "flect" <flect@aol.com> wrote in message news:uHpyS3YvGHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I'm looking for a free encrypter/decrypter. > > Inside the box, the object is an xml file which may or may not be unicode. Look at the Crypto API (CAPI--they avoided the ...

Message encryption
Does any one know if there is a way to prevent the mail administrator to "peek" into the messages stored on Exchange server? I know Exchange and Outlook support encrypted messages using certificate. However, we also want to protect all incoming messages from the organizations that don't use certificate. Thanks, H Doan Messages stored in the Exchange stores are not visible - you can't really "peek into" the store and read messages by default. However, if Administrators assign permissions to themselves, they can open other users' mailboxes. This can be d...

Encryption
I get this "unable to encrypt the data at the required level" message when i start money 2004. it directs me to a link to get the security update. but i lready have 128 bit internet explorer 6. i am running windows xp home. any help to resolve this issue will be appreciated. In microsoft.public.money, bsvasan69@hotmail.com wrote: >I get this "unable to encrypt the data at the required >level" message when i start money 2004. it directs me to a >link to get the security update. but i lready have 128 bit >internet explorer 6. i am running windows xp hom...

Encryption in XP
Hi I have a program using Encryption/Decryption process. I had no error or exception when I run my application in local Administrator But the decryption part failed when I try to run the same under XP Professional as a domain user. Can any one help me ? I have tried adding the domain user in the system administrator group to grant full access to the domain user. still no hope same error. Any one know why ? - Jibesh -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam ...

encryption
With the advent of Federal regulations such as HIPPA, SOX, and other regs being discussed because of security threats etc., It would be helpful to have the ability to encrypt data within Great Plains at the sQL db level. While the data would be encrypted, the data would report correctly on reports, export files, and would be availble in windows showing only the last four digits of the following data items: Social Security numbers Payroll & HR Bank Account Numbers (Checkbook, EFT RM & PM) Tax ID numbers - Company information, RM (Customer) & PM (Vendor) cards Credit Card Numbe...

Encryption in email
I find that I must email some sensitive information via email to a government agency. In options, I see some security choices. I've heard about 'certificates' but I own none. What options do I have to 1- ensure the information cannot be hijacked by unauthorized parties 2- ensure that the email cannot be cut and pasted 3- ensure that the email cannot be forwarded ad infinitum I'm probably asking for much... Is there reading material on the Microsoft website so a beginner can teach themselves about security options? Much thanks for your assistance as I await your r...

Outlook E-Mail Encryption Problem
Outlook (2002) refuses to encrypt an e-mail message to a client who uses Lotus Notes R5 in Win 2000, even though in the client's Internet Explorer: Tools/Internet Options/Content/Certificates dialog, both her certificate (on the Personal Tab) and our certificate (on the Other People Tab) are present and have the correct serial numbers. On our system, Outlook will send her messages "signed" but will not allow encryption. (We have exchanged keys with her and are using her public key in Outlook). Something in Outlook is preventing encryption ... does anybody know what that might ...

Reversal encryption
Hello, I need a good algorithm for encrypting some vital information about my app in an INI file. I have a class for MD5, but it's not reversible. I'd like to use a private or public key to decrypt the text. By the way, what's the difference between private and public key when we talk about encryption? Sugestions, please? I have googled about the public key encryption and found that CryptoAPI is used frequently. Is this API part of the Windows? If not, what I need to use it? "Jeova Almeida" <jeovaalmeida@yahoo.com> escreveu na mensagem news:e1uwDhuTJHA...

Encrypted email Exch 5.5 SP4
I've just set up KMS and enabled some mailboxes with Advanced Security to allow sending of encrypted email. All works perfectly, except I've discovered that when I connect from home over a dialup connection and use my home Outlook the encrypted emails can't be opened. I get the following message: "Can't open this item. Unable to decrypt this message because your security key was not found in the message. This message cannot be read" Is this the expected behaviour? thanks Iain ...

Outlook Mail Encryption
Am trying to find out if I am using a Digital ID by verisign to send secure mail do I need to upgrade Outlook to 128 bit as well as browser to 128 bit cipher strength in order to achieve this encryption strength. Do all my correspondents need to do the same?? ...

Encryption
I use MS Office 2003 at work and Office 2004 at home and at work. I cannot open a file saved on 2003 with an open password and encryption from within a 2004 app. Is there a way to do this, OR is there a way to save a file, keeping it reasonably hidden from prying eyes, and be able to open it on either 2003 or 2004 apps? Any and all help appreciated. Hi, The encryption from Office 2003 does not work in Office 2004. For a cross-platform method of encrypting files use Aladdin's Stuffit or PGP. -Jim -- Jim Gordon Mac MVP MVPs are not Microsoft Employees MVP info http://mvp.support.mi...

strange encryption behavior
I am getting the following strange behavior in Outlook 2003 SP1 on XP Pro. I have previously received signed emails from my friend "Joe" who is in the GAL (although his certficicate is not in the GAL) I can see his certificate in Certificate Manager, under Other People, and it is reported there as OK. I have also previously sent him signed and encrypted emails successfully. *Sometimes* when I create a new email and select Joe from the GAL in the To field, activate the Sign and Encrypt buttons, type my message, and click Send I get: Microsoft Office Outlook had problems encryptin...