Edit box should support languages like japanese,chineese etc

Hi wht im trying to ask is..
1. In my application, all the labels r in english only.
2.If i change the content of one text box in japanese or chineese
language ,
         [Text box value is the title for another dialog]
4.After i changed the content, i want the title to be displayed in
japanese or chineese language.
Note:  I want only that text box to be changed ,,not the entire
application..

so How can i able to support multibyte characters in MFC controls CEdit

--text boxes..
Plz reply

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

They do.  You have to be in a Unicode app, and you have to have selected a Unicode font
that has Chinese or Japanese characters into the edit control.  I have programs that do
this, and it works just fine.

I found I had to use the Arial MS Unicode (or a similar-sounding name font) that comes
with Office; there may be other ways it can be downloaded, or other fonts containing the
appropriate Unicode glyphs can be loaded.  And I do this for only certain controls on my
dialog, so the selectivity you want is there.  Key here is that the default font doesn't
contain the required glyphs.
				joe

On 21 Nov 2005 03:48:30 -0800, "Indian" <arunchand_ac@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>Hi wht im trying to ask is..
>1. In my application, all the labels r in english only.
>2.If i change the content of one text box in japanese or chineese
>language ,
>         [Text box value is the title for another dialog]
>4.After i changed the content, i want the title to be displayed in
>japanese or chineese language.
>Note:  I want only that text box to be changed ,,not the entire
>application..
>

>so How can i able to support multibyte characters in MFC controls CEdit
>
>--text boxes..
>Plz reply
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
11/22/2005 1:40:57 AM
If the application is not unicode, is there a way for a CEdit _only_ to
use unicode fonts?

0
pakosan (57)
11/22/2005 2:01:20 PM
MBCS will also display Japanese (there are fonts available), but you will
have to load the Asian fonts from the Resource Manager to see them.   If you
are on XP you can do all of this without the IME that we needed for previous
versions of Windows.

Tom

"Minus" <pakosan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If the application is not unicode, is there a way for a CEdit _only_ to
> use unicode fonts?

0
tserface (3860)
11/22/2005 3:24:46 PM
I don't think so; unlike a lot of modern controls, CEdit seems to inherit its character
width from the application.  Note that if you can't simply recompile your program with
UNICODE/_UNICODE enabled, you have adopted a number of erroneous programming styles.  Most
of my apps can be recompiled as Unicode and work the first time; the few that don't give
compilation errors which require that I finally go in and add the MultiByteToWideChar
conversions that I was too lazy to do in the first round, and this usually takes about ten
minutes.

The rich edit control, however, *does* have Unicode methods, although I've never called
them from a non-Unicode app.  You have to explicitly create a control whose type is
RICHED20W to get a Unicode window, and use the W-forms of the data structures in sending
messages.  This is perhaps a short-term solution to your problem.

Rules:

char does not exist, except in esoteric situations, such as reading text from a file known
to be non-Unicode, or receiving data on network connections in 8-bit character format.
Such data is immediately converted to Unicode upon receipt (see above: at most, ten
minutes typing for each of the one or two places where it matters).

All variants of char, including char *, const char *, LPSTR, LPCSTR and CHAR, are
forbidden except as noted above.  Use *only* TCHAR, LPTSTR, LPCTSTR everywhere, except for
the exotic exceptions.

There are no str... calls anywhere in the program.  Ever.  Use the _tcs... equivalents
from tchar.h.  Note that instances of strcpy, strcat, strncpy, etc. should be replaced in
any case by safe methods from strsafe.h (which is Unicode-aware).  Better still, assume
that all forms of string copy and concatenation functions are forbidden, except in
extremely rare and exotic situations which do not normally arise in most programming.  Use
CString, using assignment, +, and += to provide copy and concatenation operations.

All string literals when they appear will be enclosed in _T() macros, e.g., _T("%d").  The
only exception is the argument to GetProcAddress.

At various key places, you will need *sizeof(TCHAR) or /sizeof(TCHAR) to ensure that the
correct number of bytes are involved in transfers, e.g., ReadFile, WriteFile require
*sizeof(TCHAR), and most API calls will require /sizeof(TCHAR) to convert byte lengths to
character lengths.

Never, ever use sizeof() on a character array unless you include /sizeof(TCHAR), unless
you are absolutely positively certain you need the exact size in bytes, not in characters.

There are no strings in your application which contain words in any specific language (for
a lot of programmers, this means no English language strings, to pick a particular
language).  All literal strings containing readable words (e.g., "%d" is a typical
exception) WILL be in the STRINGTABLE.

The last six times I needed a Unicode app, it took less than 60 seconds to create it, most
of which was compilation time.  and it worked instantly.  You should always code in this
fashion.  Always.  I have not written an 8-bit-only app in at least eight years, and it
would not occur to me that there was any other way to write a program other than fully
Unicode-aware.

Note that it is possible to convert most programs to Unicode, even if they were written in
obsolete styles, in less than a day of editing.  The conversion requires implementing the
above rules.  I've done it to client code I've received.

Note that Unicode conversion is *not* the same as localization; replacing sprintf-style
formatting (including CString::Format) for formatting of dates, times, and numerical
values with appropriate NLS support functions will take additional effort; replacing
built-in tables with hardwired names of days, months, etc. takes additional effort.  But
being Unicode-aware is the first, best start.  I now tend to code NLS-aware, where I use
the NLS functions for proper date, time and numeric formatting, based on the LCID
localization settings.  However, from your description, it sounds like all you need is
Unicode awareness.  Spend a few hours editing, recompile as Unicode, and you should be in
good shape.
					joe

On 22 Nov 2005 06:01:20 -0800, "Minus" <pakosan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>If the application is not unicode, is there a way for a CEdit _only_ to
>use unicode fonts?
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
11/22/2005 5:24:06 PM
I should point out that when I talk about "a few hours of editing", I'm talking programs
in the range of 100,000-200,000 source lines.  Small programs (those under about 50K
lines) can often be editing in less than an hour.  Here's my search patterns:

- convert all char values to TCHAR
- convert all char * values to LPTSTR
- convert all LPSTR to LPTSTR
- convert all LPCSTR to LPTCSTR
- search for all instances of ".  Drop all lines that say #include.  Edit _T() around the
remainder.
- search for all instances of sizeof() and make sure none of them apply to character
arrays.  All that do get the /sizeof(TCHAR) option.
- search for all instances of strlen.  If the purpose is to get bytes, then make certain
that *sizeof(TCHAR) is added
- search for all instances of str and change to tcs or _tcs as appropriate
- search for all instances of malloc and make sure that *sizeof(TCHAR) is appropriately
added when character arrays are involved.  Note that such code is generally inappropriate
in C++ anyway.
- search for all instances of sprintf and convert to _tsprintf.  Better still, convert to
CString::Format
- search for all instances of Read and Write (which gets fread, fwrite, ReadFile,
WriteFile, ReadString, WriteString) and examine carefully if you are dealing with 8-bit
files.  Decide how you are going to handle the conversion (MultiByteToWideChar on input,
and do you use CP_ACP or some other code page?  WideCharToMultiByte on output, and should
you use CP_UTF8 to make sure you don't lose information?)  This is one of the most
delicate areas you have to deal with, and where I spend most of my time, often a half-hour
to an hour in some apps)
- if it is a network app, search for send, recv, and Receive, apply the same criteria as
for file I/O.
						joe

On 21 Nov 2005 03:48:30 -0800, "Indian" <arunchand_ac@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>Hi wht im trying to ask is..
>1. In my application, all the labels r in english only.
>2.If i change the content of one text box in japanese or chineese
>language ,
>         [Text box value is the title for another dialog]
>4.After i changed the content, i want the title to be displayed in
>japanese or chineese language.
>Note:  I want only that text box to be changed ,,not the entire
>application..
>

>so How can i able to support multibyte characters in MFC controls CEdit
>
>--text boxes..
>Plz reply
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
11/22/2005 6:06:00 PM
Joseph, thank you for the detailed guideliness. It is good to be able
to corroborate that I actually follow all of them. This list will be
useful for many others.

The reason why I prefer not to compile in UNICODE is that I have found
that UNICODE MFC dll are sometimes missing in the users computers. It
seems odd to me since these systems are Japanese OS's but, well, that
has been the case.

Be well.

0
pakosan (57)
11/23/2005 3:31:17 AM
Watch for APIs that only accept PCHAR/PSTR. Also make sure you don't have
gratitious casts.

> [...]
> often a half-hour
> to an hour in some apps)
> - if it is a network app, search for send, recv, and Receive, apply the
> same criteria as
> for file I/O.
> joe
>
> On 21 Nov 2005 03:48:30 -0800, "Indian" <arunchand_ac@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>
>>Hi wht im trying to ask is..
>>1. In my application, all the labels r in english only.
>>2.If i change the content of one text box in japanese or chineese
>>language ,
>>         [Text box value is the title for another dialog]
>>4.After i changed the content, i want the title to be displayed in
>>japanese or chineese language.
>>Note:  I want only that text box to be changed ,,not the entire
>>application..
>>

>>so How can i able to support multibyte characters in MFC controls CEdit

alegr (1131)
11/23/2005 5:55:02 AM
This suggests that you are expecting copy == install, which has not been true for at least
a decade.  You need to distribute the MFC Unicode DLLs (they are redistributable, at least
in the release versions) and your installer will create the correct installation package.
Note that the version of MFC42.DLL on many machines is incompabile with later service
packs of VS6.  So you should have been distributing the 8-bit DLLs as well.
					joe

On 22 Nov 2005 19:31:17 -0800, "Minus" <pakosan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Joseph, thank you for the detailed guideliness. It is good to be able
>to corroborate that I actually follow all of them. This list will be
>useful for many others.
>
>The reason why I prefer not to compile in UNICODE is that I have found
>that UNICODE MFC dll are sometimes missing in the users computers. It
>seems odd to me since these systems are Japanese OS's but, well, that
>has been the case.
>
>Be well.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
11/23/2005 11:09:42 PM
As far as I know, only GetProcAddress demands 8-bit characters, but if you know of other
exceptions, I'd love to know so I can add them to my list...
					joe

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:55:02 -0800, "Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> often a half-hour
>> to an hour in some apps)
>> - if it is a network app, search for send, recv, and Receive, apply the
>> same criteria as
>> for file I/O.
>> joe
>>
>> On 21 Nov 2005 03:48:30 -0800, "Indian" <arunchand_ac@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi wht im trying to ask is..
>>>1. In my application, all the labels r in english only.
>>>2.If i change the content of one text box in japanese or chineese
>>>language ,
>>>         [Text box value is the title for another dialog]
>>>4.After i changed the content, i want the title to be displayed in
>>>japanese or chineese language.
>>>Note:  I want only that text box to be changed ,,not the entire
>>>application..
>>>

>>>so How can i able to support multibyte characters in MFC controls CEdit

How to remove that box/description of the receipt at the top
Hi there, When I print my receipts in RMS i get this box that says "sales receipt" under my store name/header. I'm not a big fan of this. I was wondering if I can change it to say only ONE THING "Recu Officiel" with no ugly box around it. Please let me know - thanks. Hi Nith - if you're using the receipt.xml template for your receipts, open it with Notepad and navigate to this section <!-- ============================= SUB: PrintTransactionType ============================= --> <SUB name="PrintTransactionType"> <T...

Problem related to Dialog Box in a Regular Dll?
Hi All I have created a Regular Dll that statically links with MFC. I want to have a dialog box as a part of my dll. So i insertted a dialog box & created its coressponding classes namely : CDllDialog.h & CDllDialog.cpp. Then i created 2 more .h & .cpp classes namely MyExportClass.h & MyExportClass.cpp The code for the class is as follows: class __declspec(dllexport)MyExportClass { public: BOOL Show_Image_In_ImageViewer(char* cImgFileName, DWORD dwSectorNo, DWORD dwImageSize); }; #include "stdafx.h" #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream.h> #in...

Text box "print object" becomes unchecked within a Chart
First of all, I'm not sure if I should post this question in "Charts" or "General" or another topic, but I have a workbook that has been around for a few years. It used to print fine; now text boxes w/in charts are no longer printing. The solution is going into eachText Box properties and checking "Print Object". (Unfortuantely, there are many textboxes . . . I have a question posted under programming on how to create a macro to fix this problem.) Thank you for any thoughts . . . ...

addresses in send to box
when I create a new email I click on the To box for the person I am sending the message. In this box all of my contacts have several addresses that keep building up. How do I delete duplicate addresses in this folder. Open the Contacts folder (c:\Users\yourlogin\Contacts) and delete the duplicates. -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail "HNZ57" <HNZ57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1E56CF4-3C33-4522-821B-AD324FEA015B@microsoft.com... > when I create a new email I click on the To box for th...

editting auto recovery

Telephone # for technical support via long distance charges??
For over a year now, I've been trying and trying to find the solution to printing out information pertaining to the flags in an email message in Outlook 2000. Sometimes the date/time print for flagged email messages that have been ticked in the "completed" box for the flag, and sometimes this date/time _don't_ print at all though the rest of the flag information does (a fact which renders this feature completely useless when it doesn't print). No-one in various O2K ngs has been able to help so it seems to me that they don't know the solution. I really, really need ...

BOM & Edit List

? Both Help Box AND Minimize Box in Title Bar of MFC Dialog App
Hi, I assume that this question has been asked before but since I can't find it anywhere... How can you put both a question-mark context-sensitive help button AND a Minimize/Maximize Box in the title bar of a Dialog mode MFC app? Thanks -- Alec asoroudi@synetech.cjb.net ...

Editing
Hi! Could you please tell me how to remove a linked transaction within the budget planner. For example, I have a double entry under the debt category. ...

How can I loop through XML like this? thanks

Change number in Text Box in Excel
Need to change the number in Text Box in Excel. For example; (Text Box 209). I want to change that number to (Text Box 1). In fact I would like to sequence the Text Box numbers form 1 to 160. Can you help? You can name a textbox (created with the drawing toolbar) the same way you can name a cell. Just select it, then do what's demonstrated here: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/named_ranges_in_microsoft_excel.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Jerry Dyben" <Jerry Dyben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E555C29-787F-4DAF-8B61-1533...

Nedd help with the simplest thing with the check box
I'm trying to do the simplest thing (and have wanted to for years) with a check box - stick it -in- a cell just so I can check or uncheck it. Of course, it will be even better if I can get the rest of the worksheet to read a 1/0 or true/false from this box; but I'm using office 2000 and it says nothing useful. I pull the box out of the form toolbar, but it's a floating object like a chart. And that's all the reference I can find in Officer 2000. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. -- Zubbus ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Z...

Macro to edit details
Hi, i am currently trying to create a macro regarding editing staf details on a worksheet....... therefore i recorded a macro and named it editstafflist, i highlighte my headings...and then went to 'data > form' and then had to close th form and then stop my macro. It wouldnt allow me to stop my macr whilst the dialogue box was open. Anyways after stopping the macro drew out a button and assigned this 'editstafflist' macro to it. saved my sheet and then clicked on the button, but a error '1004' kep occuring, can anyone please help me on this as i am rather stuck ...

editing a drop down #2
that's not one of my choices. -- kateweb ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kateweb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16301 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276931 what do you mean by this .. is it greyed out on the toolbar or shows "any value"? if you'ld like to tell me where you downloaded it from i can go have a look at it cheers JulieD "kateweb" <kateweb.1fictb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:kateweb.1fictb@excelfor...

Excel should manage its child windows like the rest of Office.
All of the Microsoft Office applications behave the same, except for Excel. All of the other applications open new instances of the application when additional files are open, but Excel opens them within the same Excel window. This proves problematic for multi-monitor environments. For example, if I have two Word documents open, I can view one Word document on one monitor and the other on the other monitor. However, because Excel places all open files in the same application, I can only view spreadsheets on one monitor. This is very frustrating. Every application I work with (Microsoft ...

Setting caret in edit control & activating it.
Hello Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an edit control ? Nicholas Take a look at the CEdit::SetSel() member function. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Nicholas Kingsley" <nickk@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message news:3f9d418a$0$106$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > Hello > > Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an > edit control ? > > Nicholas > > If you are asking how to create & use your own caret in an edit control then check...

print box has changed in Publisher, how do get the other one back
I had the regular print box that came up in Publisher, the one with more information and you can show the picture of what is printing. It went away and I can not get it back. The print box that displays now is the normal one that shows up on everything else. What version Publisher? Are you asking about the mini-preview in the Print dialogue? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Judy" <Judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:971570E4-882A-422E-B662-9E4552640197@microsoft.com... >I had the regular print box that came up in Publisher, the one with mor...

Bug with Combo Box?
Hi, I have noticed that either on a web page or a desktop application form, Combo box always appear at the top of each control either you change the z index or not. Is that a bug with Combo box or what? Is there any way to send the combo box behind some control (button, static) ? Thanks in advance. Fahad Ashfaque fahad_ashfaque@yahoo.com Change the Z order doesn't work? "Fahad Ashfaque" <fahad_ashfaque@yahoo.com> д����Ϣ���� :05dc01c39f4d$9294cf70$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > I have noticed that either on a web page or a desktop > application for...

Data collection Form Edit
We have a form which will be used almost daily, for data collection, based on a query. During the test we found a typo in one of the field labels where a brief description is included. Is there some way to edit the form? (recreating it with all the custom lables is just too long a task). Another issue on this topic, every time the form is sent, the messge reverts to the default "Please fill out the form and retunr it to me". Can this default message be changed? Nothing in the help functions. Any advice, or deirection to a learning resource will be appreciated. Thanks is adva...

"Windows PowerShell Cookbook" by Lee Holmes second edition draft available for viewing and comments
O'Reilly Books has made the working text of the PS V2 second edition of Lee Holmes' "Windows PowerShell Cookbook" available for viewing and comments at http://powershell.labs.oreilly.com/ - Larry In message <exi7SKRyKHA.2552@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Larry__Weiss <lfw@airmail.net> writes >O'Reilly Books has made the working text of the PS V2 second edition >of Lee Holmes' "Windows PowerShell Cookbook" available for viewing and >comments at > > http://powershell.labs.oreilly.com/ > > - Larry > Aw...

Having Insert button functionality while editing
Hi, I want to have the functionality of Insert button (on keyboard) in my while application while editing in a cell or a edit box. For eg if i am editing my text say "alpha" and my cursor is between "l" and "p" and I insert an alphabet say "z", i want the "p" should be replaced by "Z" and the text should become "alzha". Please suggest. Thanks in advance. Regards, Arjun CEdit does not support that by default. Here is a good example of how implement this (Although I think UpdateCaret should just be a method of CXEdi...