Echoing entered data in a CEdit window

I'm using a CEdit object to display contents of a file, which is
encapsulated in a CFile object. Say the file contains the following:

Welcome to Blah, Inc.
ENTER PIN:

prompting for a PIN number. How can I now "echo" the PIN keyed in by
someone, starting at two spaces after the ":". The edit window is
written with a 50-point font, Times New Roman. Also, do I have to
refresh the whole edit window, with each refresh containing ALL the
characters above, plus the currently entered number, or can I just write
to a specific (x,y) cursor position. IOW, I want the following...

Persone enters "1", edit screen will now show

Welcome to Blah, Inc.
ENTER PIN: 1

Persone enters "2", edit screen will now show

Welcome to Blah, Inc.
ENTER PIN: 12

etc...

Thanks,
-Zilla

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Zilla,

If I understand you correctly, you want to add the text entered by the user
into an editbox already containin text. The easy way to do this is to set
the insertion point after the "Welcome..." text is set. For this, you use
SetSel with the start- and end characters pointing to the last character of
the control. This means, however, that the user can move around in the other
text, remove and take it away, and create all sorts of havoc.

The text you are displaying is a label, and a far better solution would be
to put the text from the file into a CStatic, and just use an empty CEdit
where the user can enter text. You won't need any positioning or refreshing
of the window.

Johan Rosengren
Abstrakt Mekanik AB

"Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de
> I'm using a CEdit object to display contents of a file, which is
> encapsulated in a CFile object. Say the file contains the following:
>
> Welcome to Blah, Inc.
> ENTER PIN:
>
> prompting for a PIN number. How can I now "echo" the PIN keyed in by
> someone, starting at two spaces after the ":". The edit window is
> written with a 50-point font, Times New Roman. Also, do I have to
> refresh the whole edit window, with each refresh containing ALL the
> characters above, plus the currently entered number, or can I just write
> to a specific (x,y) cursor position. IOW, I want the following...
>
> Persone enters "1", edit screen will now show
>
> Welcome to Blah, Inc.
> ENTER PIN: 1
>
> Persone enters "2", edit screen will now show
>
> Welcome to Blah, Inc.
> ENTER PIN: 12
>
> etc...
>

> Thanks,
> -Zilla

Zilla,

You can indeed do it in the described way - but for the reasons I originally
voiced, you really should have the following:

- You have two CEdits, say eBox and aBox. eBox is read-only (or a CStatic
instead of a CEdit).
- You read from a CFile, doing SetWindowText with the contents of the file
on eBox. You don't have to do an UpdateWindow, eBox will update itself after
SetWindowText.
- You set the focus to aBox with SetFocus.

Now, when the user starts to enter characters, they will go to aBox, and you
don't have to do anything special do display them.

Johan Rosengren wrote:
> Zilla,
>
> If I understand you correctly, you want to add the text entered by the user
> into an editbox already containin text. The easy way to do this is to set
> the insertion point after the "Welcome..." text is set. For this, you use
> SetSel with the start- and end characters pointing to the last character of
> the control. This means, however, that the user can move around in the other
> text, remove and take it away, and create all sorts of havoc.
>
> The text you are displaying is a label, and a far better solution would be
> to put the text from the file into a CStatic, and just use an empty CEdit
> where the user can enter text. You won't need any positioning or refreshing
> of the window.
>
> Johan Rosengren
> Abstrakt Mekanik AB
>
> "Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de
>
>>I'm using a CEdit object to display contents of a file, which is
>>encapsulated in a CFile object. Say the file contains the following:
>>
>>Welcome to Blah, Inc.
>>ENTER PIN:
>>
>>prompting for a PIN number. How can I now "echo" the PIN keyed in by
>>someone, starting at two spaces after the ":". The edit window is
>>written with a 50-point font, Times New Roman. Also, do I have to
>>refresh the whole edit window, with each refresh containing ALL the
>>characters above, plus the currently entered number, or can I just write
>>to a specific (x,y) cursor position. IOW, I want the following...
>>
>>Persone enters "1", edit screen will now show
>>
>>Welcome to Blah, Inc.
>>ENTER PIN: 1
>>
>>Persone enters "2", edit screen will now show
>>
>>Welcome to Blah, Inc.
>>ENTER PIN: 12
>>
>>etc...
>>

>>Thanks,
>>-Zilla

Thanks John. The (one and only) edit box I have is read-only, so
users can NOT enter data into it directly. Users will have to click
on a numeric button to enter data, as in a calculator.

Zilla

Johan Rosengren wrote:
> Zilla,
>
> You can indeed do it in the described way - but for the reasons I originally
> voiced, you really should have the following:
>
> - You have two CEdits, say eBox and aBox. eBox is read-only (or a CStatic
> instead of a CEdit).
> - You read from a CFile, doing SetWindowText with the contents of the file
> on eBox. You don't have to do an UpdateWindow, eBox will update itself after
> SetWindowText.
> - You set the focus to aBox with SetFocus.
>
> Now, when the user starts to enter characters, they will go to aBox, and you
> don't have to do anything special do display them.
>
> Johan Rosengren
> Abstrakt Mekanik AB
>
> "Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de
>
>>So I figured out how to do this...
>>- I have a CEdit box object, say eBox.
>>- I have a CFile object which of course Open() a file
>>- I read Read() the file contents and store them in
>>   a CString variable m_String
>>- I call eBox->SetWindowText(m_String) and
>>   eBox->UpdateWindow() to update the edit box
>>- Now whenever I press a numeric key, I just do
>>   m_String += "some_number" where "some_number"
>>   is the character representation of the number
>>   pressed.
>>- Then call the two edit box functions...
>>

>>-Zilla
>>
>>Johan Rosengren wrote:
>>
>>>Zilla,
>>>
>>>If I understand you correctly, you want to add the text entered by the
>
> user
>
>>>into an editbox already containin text. The easy way to do this is to
>
> set
>
>>>the insertion point after the "Welcome..." text is set. For this, you
>
> use
>
>>>SetSel with the start- and end characters pointing to the last character
>
> of
>
>>>the control. This means, however, that the user can move around in the
>
> other
>
>>>text, remove and take it away, and create all sorts of havoc.
>>>
>>>The text you are displaying is a label, and a far better solution would
>
> be
>
>>>to put the text from the file into a CStatic, and just use an empty
>
> CEdit
>
>>>where the user can enter text. You won't need any positioning or
>
> refreshing
>
>>>of the window.
>>>
>>>Johan Rosengren
>>>Abstrakt Mekanik AB
>>>
>>>"Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de

How is a read-only edit control that users enter data in from a keypad different from a
read/write edit control that users enter data in from a keypad? Or is this keypad a
completely separate device from the keyboard? If so, is there still a keyboard?

If you are concerned about them entering other than numbers, you could always add the
"numeric only" style to the edit control.
				joe

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:51:17 -0500, Zilla <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Thanks John. The (one and only) edit box I have is read-only, so
>users can NOT enter data into it directly. Users will have to click
>on a numeric button to enter data, as in a calculator.
>
>Zilla
>
>Johan Rosengren wrote:
>> Zilla,
>>
>> You can indeed do it in the described way - but for the reasons I originally
>> voiced, you really should have the following:
>>
>> - You have two CEdits, say eBox and aBox. eBox is read-only (or a CStatic
>> instead of a CEdit).
>> - You read from a CFile, doing SetWindowText with the contents of the file
>> on eBox. You don't have to do an UpdateWindow, eBox will update itself after
>> SetWindowText.
>> - You set the focus to aBox with SetFocus.
>>
>> Now, when the user starts to enter characters, they will go to aBox, and you
>> don't have to do anything special do display them.
>>
>> Johan Rosengren
>> Abstrakt Mekanik AB
>>
>> "Zilla" <zilla62XSPAM@bellsouth.net> a �crit dans le message de
>>
>>>So I figured out how to do this...
>>>- I have a CEdit box object, say eBox.
>>>- I have a CFile object which of course Open() a file
>>>- I read Read() the file contents and store them in
>>>   a CString variable m_String
>>>- I call eBox->SetWindowText(m_String) and
>>>   eBox->UpdateWindow() to update the edit box
>>>- Now whenever I press a numeric key, I just do
>>>   m_String += "some_number" where "some_number"
>>>   is the character representation of the number
>>>   pressed.
>>>- Then call the two edit box functions...
>>>

>>>-Zilla

>> user

>> set

>> use

>> of

>> other

>> be

>> CEdit

>> refreshing

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15977)

sending same data to multiple noncorresponding cells
I am a new user of Excel, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.... How can I send data entered into one cell to noncorresponding cells on other sheets within the same workbook? And, if one of the "target" cells on the other sheets already contains data, how can I keep the "transferred" data from replacing it, but rather moving to a different specified cell? -- Rhonda Clark It could be done with a macro, but for a "new user of Excel" that may not be an option. On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:43:10 -0700, "Ned Ludd" <NedLudd@discussions.micro...

Data Validation
Hi, I create a list using Data Validation. It looks great. I am trying to figure it out if there is a possible way to set the "TAB" button to pop up the list from the arrow box (combo) box instead of clicking the combo box to provide a list. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks How about using alt-downarrow? "learning_codes@hotmail.com" wrote: > > Hi, > > I create a list using Data Validation. It looks great. > > I am trying to figure it out if there is a possible way to set the > "TAB" button to pop up the list from the arr...

One Note Product Key Not Entering
I received my microsoft office CD and product key. When I installed it, everything seemed to work. The product key worked for everything in office except one-note. Every time I enter the product key in one-note, it says that it's the wrong code. Help please! What version of Office are you using? "Sonitus" <Sonitus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F8FB50B-8C30-4502-9F1D-7B2D75B3243F@microsoft.com... > I received my microsoft office CD and product key. When I installed it, > everything seemed to work. The product key worked for everyth...

collect data from email in 2007
TIA: Is there a way to collect relational data in the create email feature of 2007? For example family name and many childern. It seems that Access can only collect data in a single table? Thanks for any insight. Joel Correct it only updates one table so nothing fancy... Think temp tables and go from there with your own updates.. -- Maurice Ausum "Joel" wrote: > TIA: > Is there a way to collect relational data in the create email feature of > 2007? For example family name and many childern. It seems that Access can > only collect data i...

Confirm window pop up for Firefox, IE but not Chrome
A "Confirm" window pop up for Firefox, IE but not Chrome for my web page with auto refresh every 10 seconds by javascript. How to stop this "Confirm" window from popping up? Operating System: Windows Vista Home URLs (if applicable):http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php? p=1070518#post1070518 Error Message: See the attached doc at the above URL for screen shot. ...

Cannot view calendar in Windows Live Mail?
Everytime i click on calendar icon in my Windows Live Mail installed in my desktop, i get this error message. http://twitpic.com/1nkxu8 Any one know how i can fix this and be able to see calendar in the desktop WLM application. P.S = The calendar works fine in website. If using a Live ID to sing on to Windows Live in WLM and the calendar for that [same] Live ID is used to access your calendar on the website at calendar.live.com, then: 1. Close WLM 2. Navigate in Windows Explorer to the Windows Live Mail Calendar's folder** in your user profile(e.g. shown is for Vista and ...

can't enter carrier codes in dialing properties
In outlook 2003 I am trying to set up a calling card which requires a four digit access code. I have set up the card but I cannot enter anything in the boxes for the carrier codes and how will I know Outlook is dialing the correct number ...

How do I enter patterns in algebra?
If anyone is good or excellent in algrebra, please explain patterns in setting up an algebraic formula? Need to explain it in terms a 13 year can understand. -- Coffeecoco Actually, it's pretty simple once you practice a bit. First off, look for a simple, computer programming book at the library. This will give you the basics for putting together formulas. Remember, however, that computer programs can only calculate the "right side" of the formula, so something like: 3X+7=9X-3 can't be done EASILY until you restructure the equation. Comp...

CListCtrl with owner data and tooltip missing problem
I've a CListView derived class with owner data style and report view. My tooltip gets displayed and then overdrawn repeatedly. Traces in my lvn_getdispinfo and ttn_needtext handlers get called repeatedly. Are there known problems with tooltips and owner data? Any Ideas? Thanks, Jeff F ...

Excel 2007 x-y data point dragging
In 2007: 1. clicking on a data point on an x-y graph, when the row-column designation is reversed, makes it impossible to pick a particular data point. Clicking on one will pick a nearby one! 2. I cannot figure out how to drag plotted data points around like you used to be able to do in previous versions. Is there a new 'trick' to doing so...ie a keyboard combination or something? Thanks. Mark #2. You can't do this any more. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ <...

form: data input locking up
Hello all... I have a form which was working fine until a few hours ago. The form has several sub forms. However, those are working fine. I am unable to edit/add/delete records on the main form. This is a front end database, with the main data storage on a network. I moved the data starage DB onto my local drive, reset the links and experienced the same problem. The form is not based on a query and writes directly into a data table. The form is normally called up (filtered) through code. however, I experience the same problem when I open it up directly (without filtering the re...

Column E cell contents added into Column D contents (not overwriting data but mixing)
I need Column E cell contents added into Column D cell contents (no overwriting the data in each cell but mixing the data in the cells). However, there is a clause. If the data in Column E is a room numbe (these are my rooms numbers N408 N409 M100 ) then I want the cel contents copied into Column F (not overwriting the contents of Column just adding the room number text into whatever text is already in Colum F). All the cells have plain text. So not to worry with trying to cop formulas. Here is the skinny. I have three columns that need to be turned int two columns. The first column ...

The sign-in name you entered is not associated with this file
I have been using money 2004 deluxe for some time and now I get a message that says "The sign-in name you entered is not associated with this file". I am using the same sign-in name I've always been using. The backup file doesn't work either. Any suggestions that doesn't involve loosing everything? Dude, Do some research before you post... We are all having the same problem. MSFT is working on a solution. >-----Original Message----- >I have been using money 2004 deluxe for some time and now >I get a message that says "The sign-in name you e...

Windows Live Display
I have difficulty reading the screen since the colors are so pale and muted. I need more contrast, that is brighter colors, similar to the Microsoft desktop. How can I change the display? Georgia Hi, Georgia. You are using Build 14.0.8050.1202, which is almost a year old and has been superseded several times. The good news is that there have been improvements in later builds. The bad news is that there have also been some regressions. And more bad news: The bland colors are still here, even in the latest version, which I am using. :>( The latest builds of the Wi...

Can a macro be made to run on entering or leaving a cell?
I am trying to construct a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 where a sequence of results are entered into a column as each event occurs. Each new result (value) entered into the next cell of the column can be one of several different types and the number & type of these results are recorded using COUNT in another area of the sheet. I want to enter the value returned by COUNT in the cell adjacent to last result entered without it changing to the new value of COUNT when the next result is entered into the column of results. The formula in the adjacent cell (=value of cell returned by COUNT) c...

Where does Ms XL store the clipboard ? or where does MS Windows store clipboard ?
Dear Members Where does Ms XL store the clipboard ? or where does MS Windows store clipboard ? Vital Stats : - Using a Win XP Machine - using medium sized (100 rows, 20 column) sp sheets on MS Excel 2003 (MS Office 2003) My Machine is networked so that "my documents" directory is backed up on a server automatically I face problems while copying (some error messages re. clipboard etc) I suspect that it has something to do with the backing up of my documents or standard files I also see some reduction in speed .... any pointers on precautions to take on networked computers is w...

How to detect Enter character in a text?
Hi, I use Visual C++ 4.2. I've got questions here: I have to change an application behavior here, there is a CEdit in the application which receive user input. The change I should make is : if there is Enter character in the text, I must change it to <space> character. How to do know if there is Enter character inside the CEdit? and how to change those Enter characters to <space> character? Thank you very much. Once you've moved the input into a CString, you can use Find('\n') to find the Enter. Off the top of my head it's then something like: nPos=sT...

lookup data in a different workbook
I export a list of items from Quickbooks. Quickbooks will export as a xls file. I want to create a different worksheet or workbook that will look u data in this file. I need to find data in a certain column in a certai row. So when my data changes in Quickbooks, I export the file, and the in another workbook or worksheet, update, based on the new or update data. I have tried the lookup wizard but it will not let me use different worksheet or workbook. I can make it work in the sam worksheet. So what I'm looking for is a direction where to start. I have made man complex Excel worksheets, ...

powershell_ise always echos output
Hi, I am using powershell_ise if I write the following simple script $a = Get-Date -Format "yyyyMMdd" Write-Host "Filename $a" the output is PS C:\WINDOWS\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0> $a = Get-Date -Format "yyyyMMdd" Write-Host "Filename $a" Filename 20100305 when I would expect simply Filename 20100305 can anybody please tell me why every line is echoed to screen and if I can stop this behaviour please. I would like the editor to act more line the commandline powershell. thanks in advance. cheers martin. ...

data validation for range
Hi, I set data validation based on a range of date where "start date" and "end date" reference from cell "A1" and "B1" respectively. If data validation start at G7, meaning date in key at this cell must be of range between the start date and end date, it is possible to have extra validation where "end date" have past from the system date and validate failed! never mind, i got it using custom instead of using the date "ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:758FAAE9-ADE9-...

Macro beginner
I have recorded a macro to set the active sheet to Landscape and enter my name in the left section of the footer as text and set the font size to 8. I have stored it in the Personal Macro Workbook. I use Excel 2003. I have gone into the VB Editor and deleted the parts of the Sub which I don’t need. It now reads: Sub LandscapeMyName() ' ' LandscapeMyName Macro ' Macro recorded 09/12/2005 by MyName ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+L ' With ActiveSheet.PageSetup ..LeftFooter = "&8MyName" ..Orientation = xlLandscape End With End Sub Years ago, in the anc...

Sending data to Access Database
I have a spreadsheet for hourly energy sales and purchases. The hours are horizontal with all the entries below in rows. I would like send this data to Access for after-the-fact reporting. However, I would like to have a single date/time field so that each of the hours is a record rather than have a field for each hour. Is there a way to get the Excel data into a useable format to transfer the data into Access? Patti PattiP, could you supply a short sample of your table? -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "PattiP" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet for hourly energy sales and p...

How do I enter a negative number in unit price column?
When I try it just tells me I must enter a number. I am running office 2003. You should be able to type something such as -249.95 with no problem. Do not type any other characters or spaces. If the cell will not accept the entry it probably has a Validation Rule applied which prevents the entry of negative values. My guess is that someone else created the workbook file and they may be the one who needs to make the change if necessary. HTH |:>) "389Shell" wrote: > When I try it just tells me I must enter a number. I am running office 2003. I created the workbook and ...

Grouping Data in a Query 10-11-07
A query with two fields. Field 1 = Name Field 2 = Amount How do you group the query by name & add up the amounts. What code would you use so it grabs those records with the same name and adds up those amounts. For example, records as follow: Curtis | $1.00 Mike | $2.00 Curtis | $2.50 Curtis | $2.50 It would then spit out Curtis | $6.00 Mike | $2.00 Open up the query in design mode Select View: Totals from the menu Change GROUP By To SUM under the Amount field Leave Group by as Group By under the name field. Run the query. -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007 Center for ...

Switching between multiple open windows
I ran across an option to change how to switch between multiple open windows on my desktop. It was an option to choose between hovering over a window or clicking on it. Thinking that only having to hover over a window to switch to it would save time, I selecting the option to hover... big mistake as it just became a big pain in the a_ _ for me. Now I would like to change back to one-clicking to change between viewed windows but can't remember or find where the option is located. Any help will be appreciated. -- rushl On 2/03/10, rushl posted: > I ran across an opti...