do not update the programm window for a while

Hello,

I have an mfc application with an a field of buttons.

These button are organized in the programm in logical pages:

1-first-page
 but1  but2 but3 ..

2-first-page
 but1  but2 but3 ..

At runtime the user switch from one page to another.
The pages are build with the same buttons,
I only change the text and the command, when the button is press,
sometimes the background bitmap.

Problem:
When I change one button after another - then the programm is a little
bit slowly.

Much more better is, I hide the parent of the button before the
changes and then show it
again.

But - the parent of the button is the mainframe - so it flicker one
time,
"hide" - changes - "show".

Is it possible to disable the updating process of the programm -
without hide the window;
"do_not_update" - changes - "do_update".

--
Thanks
Frank Iversen

0
fiversen (47)
4/11/2008 2:07:05 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There is LockWindowUpdate and UnlockWindowUpdate, and also SetRedraw(...),
but I'm not sure that these will help much.

AliR.

"fiversen" <fiversen@wedding.in-berlin.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have an mfc application with an a field of buttons.
>
> These button are organized in the programm in logical pages:
>
> 1-first-page
> but1  but2 but3 ..
>

> 2-first-page
> but1  but2 but3 ..
>
> At runtime the user switch from one page to another.
> The pages are build with the same buttons,
> I only change the text and the command, when the button is press,
> sometimes the background bitmap.
>

> Problem:
> When I change one button after another - then the programm is a little
> bit slowly.
>
> Much more better is, I hide the parent of the button before the
> changes and then show it
> again.
>
> But - the parent of the button is the mainframe - so it flicker one
> time,
> "hide" - changes - "show".
>
> Is it possible to disable the updating process of the programm -
> without hide the window;
> "do_not_update" - changes - "do_update".
>
> --
> Thanks
> Frank Iversen

0
AliR3470 (3235)
4/11/2008 2:37:50 PM
See below...
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:07:05 -0700 (PDT), fiversen <fiversen@wedding.in-berlin.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have an mfc application with an a field of buttons.
>
>These button are organized in the programm in logical pages:
****
How do you mean "logical pages"?
****

>1-first-page
> but1  but2 but3 ..
>

>2-first-page
> but1  but2 but3 ..
>
>At runtime the user switch from one page to another.
****
How?
****
>The pages are build with the same buttons,
>I only change the text and the command, when the button is press,
>sometimes the background bitmap.
>

>Problem:
>When I change one button after another - then the programm is a little
>bit slowly.
****
You would have to explain how you do this
****

>Much more better is, I hide the parent of the button before the
>changes and then show it
>again.
****
But you suggested that the parent is the dialog.  It is hard to tell what you are doing,
so it is hard to suggest how you might improve it.
			joe
****

>But - the parent of the button is the mainframe - so it flicker one
>time,
>"hide" - changes - "show".
>
>Is it possible to disable the updating process of the programm -
>without hide the window;
>"do_not_update" - changes - "do_update".
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
4/11/2008 4:02:54 PM
I've never tried it with buttons, but I use SetRedraw(false) when I'm going
to add a lot of items to a list control then SetRedraw(true) afterwards.  I
think that might work in this case, but ...

I'm not sure why the button would be flickering (or the mainframe window as
you suggest here) just from changing text unless you're changing it really
often.

Tom

"fiversen" <fiversen@wedding.in-berlin.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have an mfc application with an a field of buttons.
>
> These button are organized in the programm in logical pages:
>
> 1-first-page
> but1  but2 but3 ..
>

> 2-first-page
> but1  but2 but3 ..
>
> At runtime the user switch from one page to another.
> The pages are build with the same buttons,
> I only change the text and the command, when the button is press,
> sometimes the background bitmap.
>

> Problem:
> When I change one button after another - then the programm is a little
> bit slowly.
>
> Much more better is, I hide the parent of the button before the
> changes and then show it
> again.
>
> But - the parent of the button is the mainframe - so it flicker one
> time,
> "hide" - changes - "show".
>
> Is it possible to disable the updating process of the programm -
> without hide the window;
> "do_not_update" - changes - "do_update".
>
> --
> Thanks
> Frank Iversen

0
tom.nospam (3240)
4/11/2008 8:30:20 PM
> >I have an mfc application with an a field of buttons.
>
> >These button are organized in the programm in logical pages:
>
> ****
> How do you mean "logical pages"?
> ****

Beside the CButtons I have structure
-touchlayout
--touchpage
---touchkey
with only text, position, color

To display a page,
I put the properties from the touchkeys of a touchpage to the real
existing CButtons.

> >1-first-page
> > but1 =A0but2 but3 ..
>
> >2-first-page
> > but1 =A0but2 but3 ..
>
> >At runtime the user switch from one page to another.
>
> ****
> How?
> ****

Another touchpage with different touchkeys,  .. properties to
CButton ...

>The pages are build with the same buttons,
> >I only change the text and the command, when the button is press,
> >sometimes the background bitmap.
>
> >Problem:
> >When I change one button after another - then the programm is a little
> >bit slowly.
>
> ****
> You would have to explain how you do this
> ****

slowly
- hide the CButton
- change properties of the CButtons
- show

quick
- hide all CButtons at one time, hide the parent of all the CButtons
- change properties of all the CButtons
- show the parent -> show all the CButtons

> >Much more better is, I hide the parent of the button before the
> >changes and then show it
> >again.
>
> ****
> But you suggested that the parent is the dialog. =A0It is hard to tell wha=
t you are doing,
> so it is hard to suggest how you might improve it.

The hierachie of Windows:
CFrameWnd
- CStatic - Background Bitmap
- - CButtons

Thanks, I first try the hints from the colleges
- LockWindow / UnlockWindow
- SetRedraw

--
Frank  Iversen

0
fiversen (47)
4/12/2008 8:01:47 AM
Had you considred using a tabbed dialog for this purpose?

However, all you are doing is changing a set of button captions, so it is not clear why
this takes any amount of time.  I've done far worse with no discernable delay (to show all
the information for one controller would take over 5000 controls, so I just use tabbed
dialogs and create/destroy the controls as needed, and it is instantaneous)
					joe

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 01:01:47 -0700 (PDT), fiversen <fiversen@wedding.in-berlin.de> wrote:

>> >I have an mfc application with an a field of buttons.
>>
>> >These button are organized in the programm in logical pages:
>>
>> ****
>> How do you mean "logical pages"?
>> ****
>
>Beside the CButtons I have structure
>-touchlayout
>--touchpage
>---touchkey
>with only text, position, color
>
>To display a page,
>I put the properties from the touchkeys of a touchpage to the real
>existing CButtons.
>

>> >1-first-page
>> > but1 �but2 but3 ..
>>
>> >2-first-page
>> > but1 �but2 but3 ..
>>
>> >At runtime the user switch from one page to another.
>>
>> ****
>> How?
>> ****
>
>Another touchpage with different touchkeys,  .. properties to
>CButton ...
>
>>The pages are build with the same buttons,
>> >I only change the text and the command, when the button is press,
>> >sometimes the background bitmap.
>>
>> >Problem:
>> >When I change one button after another - then the programm is a little
>> >bit slowly.
>>
>> ****
>> You would have to explain how you do this
>> ****
>
>slowly
>- hide the CButton
>- change properties of the CButtons
>- show
>
>quick
>- hide all CButtons at one time, hide the parent of all the CButtons
>- change properties of all the CButtons
>- show the parent -> show all the CButtons
>
>> >Much more better is, I hide the parent of the button before the
>> >changes and then show it
>> >again.
>>
>> ****
>> But you suggested that the parent is the dialog. �It is hard to tell what you are doing,
>> so it is hard to suggest how you might improve it.
>
>The hierachie of Windows:
>CFrameWnd
>- CStatic - Background Bitmap
>- - CButtons
>

>Thanks, I first try the hints from the colleges
>- LockWindow / UnlockWindow
>- SetRedraw
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
4/12/2008 11:56:11 AM
Why are you hiding the buttons?  Maybe that is what is eating up the time
and making them flash since hiding them and showing them would make them
temporarily invisible.

Tom

> >I have an mfc application with an a field of buttons.
>
> >These button are organized in the programm in logical pages:
>
> ****
> How do you mean "logical pages"?
> ****

Beside the CButtons I have structure
-touchlayout
--touchpage
---touchkey
with only text, position, color

To display a page,
I put the properties from the touchkeys of a touchpage to the real
existing CButtons.

> >1-first-page
> > but1 but2 but3 ..
>
> >2-first-page
> > but1 but2 but3 ..
>
> >At runtime the user switch from one page to another.
>
> ****
> How?
> ****

Another touchpage with different touchkeys,  .. properties to
CButton ...

>The pages are build with the same buttons,
> >I only change the text and the command, when the button is press,
> >sometimes the background bitmap.
>
> >Problem:
> >When I change one button after another - then the programm is a little
> >bit slowly.
>
> ****
> You would have to explain how you do this
> ****

slowly
- hide the CButton
- change properties of the CButtons
- show

quick
- hide all CButtons at one time, hide the parent of all the CButtons
- change properties of all the CButtons
- show the parent -> show all the CButtons

> >Much more better is, I hide the parent of the button before the
> >changes and then show it
> >again.
>
> ****
> But you suggested that the parent is the dialog. It is hard to tell what
> you are doing,
> so it is hard to suggest how you might improve it.

The hierachie of Windows:
CFrameWnd
- CStatic - Background Bitmap
- - CButtons

Thanks, I first try the hints from the colleges
- LockWindow / UnlockWindow
- SetRedraw

--
Frank  Iversen

0
tom.nospam (3240)

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

Strange problem about register window class
I want to register two window class in winmain.But when registering the second window class,VC7.0 reports an error.The error code is 87 - parameter error.But the parameters of both WINCLASSEX are the same except the wndproc and wndclass name. When compiling with bcc55,it's OK.When compiling with cygwin-g++-4.1.2 it's the same as VC7.0. If assign wc.hInstance with reinterpret_cast<HINSTANCE>(&hInstance) ,it's OK.Why?What does &hInstance mean? Below is the code: // cl register.cpp -link gdi32.lib user32.lib // g++ -o register.exe register.cpp -mwindows #include <...

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...

Goofy scrolling display in VC++ output window.
I had some problems with my ISP, internet service provider, connection. I installed a diagnosis utility from them. Now every time I run one of my programs in debug mode, I get a continual stream of goofy lines appearing in the output window. One line every second or maybe faster. This is the line I see: Loaded 'C:\Program Files\SBC Self Support Tool\SmartBridge\psapi.dll', no matching symbolic information found. I don't need the utility and I'm going to uninstall it. I just want to know for my own sake, what is happening. Why are these messages appearing in Visual C++...

automatically update field
Hi I have a combo box with two columns - product & stock code. When I select a product I want the the stock code column which I have in my table to automatically populate. Is this possible to have on the actual main table? -- Thank you for your help Yes - you could use the AfterUpdate event of the combo to set the value of the control bound to the field holding the stock code. But - why ? You already have the stock code so it seems you want to store it again (twice in the same table or - even worse - in another table). Both of these are very bad ideas. You should use the rel...

getting windows emails to flash dive & accessig windows mail remot
I am a novice to the ultimate degree, 2 questions: 1. Can I send my windows emails to a flash drive? If so how do I do it. 2. Can I access my windows mail remotely? If so How? 1. Not directly. The Windows Mail message store must be on a local hard drive. However you can export email messages: File, Export, Messages, Microsoft Windows Mail. 2. You can't access the Windows Mail program remotely. But assuming you allow Windows Mail to leave a copy of messages on the server, you should be able to access just about any mail server via webmail. Who is your mail service provider? ...

Recorset not updateable in a crosstab query
I have created a crosstab query based on just one linked table using the Access wizard and when I finished I get the erro "The recorset is not updateable", clicking on OK it shows me the tahe results in the corresponding table, but if I try to see the structure of the query it shows me the structure mask but saying that in the expression "Format([DPC]:"aaaa")" there to many closing brackets. I copied the table to the current DB to avoid any links problems but the result is the same. Can anybody tell me how to solve the problem? Thanks very muc...

Problems Updating to Visual Studio 2008
I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio 2008. In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps, Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an application. This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008. Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the same functionality in Visual Studio 2008? I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008. Gordon P "Gordon P...