Display 2D Lines for mathematic application

Hi There,

Does anyone can give me advices to choose a graphical
library/control/ocx/other to developp an application displaying 2d
lines from large data set (around 30 000 points).
I have to developp this app using Visual C++(6 or .NET). These data
are coming
right from an electronic device, and I need to display and print
result as graphs in a short amount of time (less than 8 hours :o) )
Of course, it's a common subject, but I'm not aware of last
improvement about graphical resources, so I'm stumped !!
I'm reading doc about GDI, but it seems to be too slow for this kind
of
datasize.
I'm thinking about using library from LabViews or Matlab, but perhaps
it's like using
atomic bomb vs a mosquito :o)

Thanks for any advice
Gill
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Phil,

> It sounds like we are doing the exact same thing.
so please to read from your experience.

> I use a package called ProEssentials by Gigasoft to plot static datasets.  It is a bit confusing to use, but once you figure it out, it is very good and very fast.
>
> If you are looking for a real-time plotter, I use the Strip Chart OCX
> from Global Majic.  I don't know if you can print out the results,
> but it is very effective for real-time plotting.

OK. I will investigate these 2 ways ....
If I need help on these component, may I contact you ? (only through
the newsgroup)

Did you try to use GDI or GDI+, or GnuPlot (using then only picture to
display curves on the GUI) ??
I'm still astonished there's is no simple way (built in) to display
some nice curves on a GUI ?! Is there a basic component to do that
under Visual ??

Thnxs.
Gill

> Hope this helps,
sure it will !!
Gill wrote:
> I'm still astonished there's is no simple way (built in) to display
> some nice curves on a GUI ?! Is there a basic component to do that
> under Visual ??

If you have an array of points to plot as curves (linear segments) one
call to pDC->Polyline will plot them.  Multiple non-contiguous segments
can be plotted with one call to pDC->PolyPolyline.  This part is easy.
In my experience, it takes a lot more effort to get good-looking labeled
axes than to plot curves.  :(

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
scottmcp8856 (490)
7/24/2004 12:32:24 AM
In article <f9dc8289.0407220106.37ea64c8@posting.google.com>,
gourou_gill@yahoo.com says...
> Hi There,
>

> Does anyone can give me advices to choose a graphical
> library/control/ocx/other to developp an application displaying 2d
> lines from large data set (around 30 000 points).
> I have to developp this app using Visual C++(6 or .NET). These data
> are coming
> right from an electronic device, and I need to display and print
> result as graphs in a short amount of time (less than 8 hours :o) )

For 30 000 points, that's a LONG time.

> Of course, it's a common subject, but I'm not aware of last
> improvement about graphical resources, so I'm stumped !!
> I'm reading doc about GDI, but it seems to be too slow for this kind
> of datasize.

I'd advise testing it before you decide it's too slow -- my guess is
that on anything short of a truly ancient machine, it'll be _plenty_
fast.  On my machine (2.8 GHz P4) displaying a 30000 point Polyline
takes under a millisecond (in fact, timing to the ms, it consistently
shows up as 0.000 seconds, so it's probably WELL under 1 ms). In
reality, of course, my monitor is set for a 75 Hz refresh rate, so it
takes more than 13 ms to actually display the data. Printers being
slower than monitors, the disparity will be even greater...

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

jcoffin1 (194)

Dual Displays

Folder could not be displayed

How to create a 2 columns and 2 lines graph with non-related value
Hi, I am trying to create a graph with 2 columns and 2 lines. I am able to get the 2 colums ($000 value) and one line easily ($000 value), however the 4th data series is completely out of range (it's a percentage value ranging between 8 and 10%). I can see the line completely flat on the bottom axis but would like to be able to move it up so it kind of "hangs over" the columns. Any ideas that do not involve complexed programming? Thanks, Double click on the line, and on the Axis tab of the Format Series dialog, select Secondary. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Exc...

Erroneous Error? re >32,000 data plots in 2D chart
I am getting the error regarding >32,000 data points in a 2D charts in Excel 2003. The same error as in the following post; http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/browse_frm/thread/79458c5c753083a2 However, the largest series I am plotting is only 16,401 data points long. Has anyone previously come across this error statement issued in error? =========== More background. Have defined some chart series using dynamic named ranges. E.G., name the following range "Series1", =OFFSET('C'!$M $20,,,COUNTA('C'!$M$20:$M$30000),1) Then in Chart/S...

How to select & display distinct values

Display Time in Outlook

PK and FK Displayed

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Stop displaying a line

Multi-Byte Application with XP Theme
Hi Guys, I have been searching the web for the solution to this problem but have come up empty handed. I'm writing a dialog based app in VS 2008, when I changed the project's character set from Unicode to multi-byte I lost the XP theme. How can I create a multi-byte application with XP Theme? Thanks AliR. Hi AliR, Same here! I've just found this workaround: 1 - Remove the default embedded manifest; to do so, in the VS2008 IDE go into : Project Properties | Configuration Properties | Manifest Tool | Input and Output and set "Embed Manifest" to "No&quo...

Display or not display series

Applications of Excel in different industries
I am working on a school project and need different Excel applications used in different industries and if possible names of companies. Thank you. Mary C. I work in the telecom industry. My department uses excel for a whole boat load of different things. From doing equipment pricing/costing, to help with calculations during engineering. One of the common functions that I use it for is to take data from disparate sources and to combine them into a workbook that others can play what-if scenarios. We take data from the AS/400 (MACPAC), mainframe (engineering files), UNIX (dumps of custome...

Displaying an equation
I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have equations in them. I want to have a cell that displays this equation with the answers that are calculated from these other cells displayed as values in the new equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Check out http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#getformula In article <E4143E2B-360A-4B43-955F-73BF8EC60694@microsoft.com>, "hoising8" <hoising8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have > eq...

Serialisation
A general query Im serialising a person object with the following member variables Class Person Private _forenames As String Private _surname As String Private _dob As Date Private _marital_status As MaritalStatus 'Public Get and Set Properties here for each of the above ' I'll not detail them all to save space but Ill show attributes <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="forename")> _ <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="surname")> _ <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="dob"...

New Email does not display
When new email arrives you don't know it. You don't know you have new mail until you click on an existing email in your inbox. Any ideas? It's a setting. But... 1. You don't tell us the program you're using. 2. We can't guess if it's Outlook or Outlook Express. 3. This is the Excel newsgroup; you're in the wrong place. :) ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Travis" <Travis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D864BC01-7D98-48DA-A132-614D02E45963@microsoft.com... > When new email arrives you don't know ...

For "Marker Line Style" see Point.Format.Line.Weight
This is not a question, just a place to record the answer to this question in case somebody else searches for it; or I forget again in the future. I wanted to know: What object do I use to set the heaviness of the lines in a chart point marker? Not the series line, the point marker eg the asterisk xlMarkerStyleStar In the UI it's right-click, Format Data Point Marker Line style, Width 2pt say. In VBA I can set oPoint.MarkerStyle = xlMarkerStyleStar but I can't find any reference to "Marker Line Style" and neither did this newsgroup - until now I guess. And of course...

Native Application launches while printing through printer
Hi, 1)I have made a driver which generates a posctscriptfile with .prn extension. I convert it from Distiller/Ghostscript to PDF it works fine. 2)To generate the postscript file i print it from the driver. While printing the document, lets say a .doc file, it opens the document in its native application (Microsoft Word ) and then closes automatically. I want the Native App should not open. 3) So i thought i should sent the data to print directlt to the printer, the native app will not launch. i Saw the Microsoft Sites "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138594", and downloaded the r...

Display 4 weeks of data
Hello all, I am trying to create a query in which data is displayed for the current month beginning with the first day of the week, first week of the month and ending with the last day of the week, last week of the month. In example: Today is Friday June 1, 2007 but the first day of the week would be Sunday, May 27, 2007. I would like the query to show data between 5/27/2007 through 6/30/2007 -OR- 4/29/2007 through 6/2/2007 for the previous month... Does anyone have any ideas? First day of the current month is DateSerial(Year(Date()), Month(Date()), 1) Last day of the current month...

Dynamic Chart Display
I have set up many dynamic charts using named ranges with the counta function. At times when reopened the data is not displayed properly - it will be skewed to the left with blank intervals although all data is there. It can be corrected by going to the data sheet and resaving the spreadsheet but this is very inconvenient and doesn't always work. This is particularly a problem when the spreadsheet is for distribution or to be used as part of a presentation. Does anyone know if there is a way to 'freeze' the display so this does not occur? Thank you! ...

net display or pole display
We are a small beverage/specialty retailer. We have a requirement to install a customer viewable display. We are using a Pioneer POS that has an available USB and video port. 1. We are thinking of using a small, 7-9" monitor connected to the video port. Can we change the size of the fonts that are used to display pricing? 2. We tried hooking up a flat panel monitor to this port, but it didn't work (even with the net display check boxes activated). I think it is because we did not load drivers for the second monitor. We're a little apprehensive about messing up the touch s...