Design specifications and guidelines - Visual Design

A small question.
 Where can i find the Design Specifications and Guidelines - Visual Design.

Spacing: How many DLUs should there between 2 group boxes (vertically
arranged)
in a Dialog box?

best regards
bav

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In theory, as many as you want, but in practice, only as many as you use.

Since Microsoft has abandoned any attempt to maintan GUI guidelines within their own
products, there is very little reason to be too wound up about this kind of trivia (I have
largely ignored most of it.  Build a dialog box that looks good, and nobody is going to be
counting pixels).

For group boxes, you can't stricly rely on the visual effects because the text is actually
above the group box line.  Rely on the coordinates displayed in the lower right of the
status bar area (Microsoft makes this easy because they display the top left corner and
the width and height, so we all learn to do arithmetic in our heads).  Just don't let them
overlap.
					joe

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:54:13 +0200, "bav" <baudewijn.vermeire@skynet.be> wrote:

>A small question.
> Where can i find the Design Specifications and Guidelines - Visual Design.
>
>Spacing: How many DLUs should there between 2 group boxes (vertically
>arranged)
>in a Dialog box?
>
>best regards
>bav

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)

design templates
Once I download a new design template (Letterhead), how do I make it available to all new documents. Currently, I can use the new template for one document. However, when I import any data, it disappears. Then, when I go to choose a publication design, the template is not available. How can I make new/downloaded design templates available from the publication designs window? Are you asking about those from the Office web site? Once the download is complete, save as... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Char...

How do a custom animation with a click, but only over specific obj
I want put in the front some specifics objects (between several objects in the slide) only when I do a click over them. Could somebody help me? On 6/3/10 12:18 PM, Victico wrote: > I want put in the front some specifics objects (between several objects in > the slide) only when I do a click over them. Could somebody help me? If I understand you correctly, you are looking for trigger animations. You can find information about them in several places, including: http://www.indezine.com/products/powerpoint/cool/trigger01.html http://pptheaven.mvps.org/tutorials/trigger.html ...

How do I protect specific cells (like labels and formulas) on a w.
I have a worksheet that has several cells that need to be protected (locked) from changes. How do I lock only those cells without locking the whole worksheet? Hi select the whole worksheet (or the bits you want people to get to) then choose format / cells / protection and untick locked ... now if you unlocked all cells, you'ld need to lock the ones that you don't want them to get to. once you've locked and unlocked the appropriate cells, choose tools / protection / protect sheet. Cheers JulieD "Evelyne" <Evelyne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Excel 2000... Missing row and column designators. #4

how do i change to the new design in outlook 2007
Outlook 2007 is installed on my computer but everytime I open the program the old design is what I see. > Outlook 2007 is installed on my computer but everytime I open the > program the old design is what I see. The Ribbon is only available in new message/appointment/task windows, not to the main Outlook window. -- f.h. Microsoft Outlook MVP ...

Switching to design mode causes VS 2008 to freeze.
When I'm working on a web project and switch a page from source to design mode, VS hangs. Anybody have any thoughts? This doesn't appear to project specific - just that's it's a web page (.aspx) when it happens. TIA - Jeff. ...

Using decisions in Access design
Hi all, I want to set up an introductory page for an Access 2007 project. On this page would be some instructions and links to different pages with the usual form entries. Each of these pages would be different enough to warrant their own page and fields, but there would be similarities between all pages that need to keep them in the same database. Example: I have that introductory page with instructions and links to eight new pages. Fields 1-3 on each of the eight pages would contain identical types of information (Name, URL, and Password). These would have the same fiel...

i have a problem with a specific site
i have a problem while opening this site www.bbcarabic.com IE hangs for some seconds then open the page why that happens ??? Hi, The page is simply too large at over 1 MB (total) with more than 200 objects and more than 200 images. For the full report, go to http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/ and put the URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/arabic/ into the "Enter URL to diagnose field." - Hope this helps, Don [MS MVP- IE] "mmfarahat" <mmfarahat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7A03053-8809-4575-B1C4-C965C2748668@mi...

Pivot table
I am trying to print a specific group of data from a pivot table. I learned of 'show pages' but first may not have my fields properly assigned. My initial data sheet starts with columns; regional manager, area manager, sales rep, store # and then many columns of data; sales 2004, sales 2005.... The rows have the corresponding data and there are 50 sales reps each with 20-25 stores. My pivot table has regional, area, sales rep and store # in the page fields. All the other sales figures are in the data field. If I want to print a page showing sales for each of the 25 individual s...

Design
Hello, I have been working through serveral lessons within a workbook course but the problem that I am having is when I want to setup my own spreadsheet outside of the workbook I have problems with doing that. What type of approach should I take with designing a spreadsheet. Kelly I think that would depend on what it would be used for , Inventory, calculating values such as Cpk, Ppk, Stdev.... Sales report... they all have their own needs as to how you would design your spreadsheet, so that it suits the best of your needs. "Jessica@aol.com" wrote: > Hello, > > I...

Bug or By Design?
Hi, I recently had a problem with one of my XPath expressions which led me to believe there might be a bug in XmlNode, although it could be by design since I didn't find anything in the KB. Consider the the code appended below. The function CleanEmptyElements removes all empty elements from the document using a XPath expression. As you will notice in the code, I add two empty elements. If you check the resulting testXml.xml file, the "SpecialEmptyElement" element, though emtpy is still present. The only special thing about it is that I assign a null string to the InnerT...

Relaying from specific host
I have been running Exchange 5.5 on Win 2K for several years with a small private post office. I have recently installed a Win2K server with forum software on it that sends out e-mails for certain tasks and I want to relay them through my Exchange server but I don't want the Exchange server to relay from any other servers. I have the Internet mail service routing set-up to route messages sent to my domain to <inbound> but I can't figure out how to relay outbound, any messages coming from a specific server in my domain. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Will On t...

Can I have a specific folder to send attachments to?
Is there anything in the options that will set some default folder for the routine storing of email attachment files? Peter ...

accde
Hi, I have some VBA that modifies a report's design. However, the code throws an exception on this line: DoCmd.OpenReport rpt_name, acViewDesign I understand the reason why, so here's my question: Q) How can my VBA code modify a report in an accde file? Thanks On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:26:01 -0800, Andy <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Q) How can my VBA code modify a report in an accde file? It can't. You must use an accdb. -- John W. Vinson [MVP] Hello, I have the same problem... and I create several reports... ...

How do you put individual card-specific information on the back?
I am making a board game and I have created mission cards and vengeance cards which already have the necessary proportions templated due to creating them in the business card format offered by Microsoft Publisher. How do I find a basic template that has the proportions of 10 business cards on 8.5 x 11 paper so I can paste different information in each slot on the back of these game cards? (I don't want 10 copies of the same mission written out because the template automatically duplicates.... I want a raw template.) All advice and tips are appreciated. Arrange, Page Layout, Side...

Design of connectors
Hello I need some help to optimise our systems, which I inherited. Our company has 2 sites, connected with a sufficient link of 1 mbit. Site 1 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 10.0.0.1 and site 2 has an Exchange 2003/SP1 server with an address 20.0.0.1 Site 1 has an backup Internet link of 256 mbit to ISP1 and Site 2 has a main Internet link of 1 mbit to ISP2 (we are using ISA 2004) All internet traffic flows from Site1 to SiteB, through ISA and so on. How should I configure Exchanges SMTP connectors and routing group (RG) connectors at both sites to achieve maximum reliabilt...

How to direct mail to specific folder
How do I set auto direct movement of email to specific folder based on wording from subject? with a rule? "crapit" <littlecramP@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message news:%23kBrX$BeGHA.1276@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > How do I set auto direct movement of email to specific folder based on > wording from subject? > > Hi! You can try the ff when you're at the Inbox window (assuming you're using Outlook 2003)... (1) Go to Tools then Rules and Alerts. (2) Proceed to E-mail Rules tab then click New Rule button (3) Follow the instructions from there on either if ...

Office craches when lloking up specific word "Viva"
when you use the "Lookup" feature which researches the meaning of the word in all reference books, Office crashes when you lookup "viva" This happens in any office application - Word and Outlook. I've tested this on multiple installations (all with Office 2007) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft W...

Query design question?
Query1 retrieves data for 2,000 records from a series of linked tables that have about 100,000 recordset Query2 retrieves data for 5,000 records from another series of linked tables that has about a 100,000 recordset as well. Query1 and Query2 are linked on a customer ID (e.g.) Should there be a simple join between Query1 and Query2 on Customer ID, or would there there be a benefit to limiting the records in Query2 first? Yes, SQL Server app - have an old stopwatch, but didn't know if some general guidelines applied. "Jerry Whittle" <JerryWhittle@discussions.micros...

What does "(Bulk)" designation mean on email
I had a bunch of email show up suddenly all prefixed with (Bulk). No pattern of sender nor date sent. Some were two weeks old. Does anyone know what this means or what happened. Sound like something added by integrated anti virus or spam app, or possibly your ISP AV/Spam filters, nothing to do with Outlook "Mobydick" <Mobydick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8056B15-6391-43F2-899C-47DC8F2B369E@microsoft.com... >I had a bunch of email show up suddenly all prefixed with (Bulk). No >pattern > of sender nor date sent. Some were two we...

Invoice Designer not saving custom designs
Is anyone else running into an issue of Invoice Designer not saving custom designs? It seems to save ok, but the new invoice is not available from within Money Small Business 2005. See this: http://money.mvps.org/faq/default.aspx#Business (second article in that section) -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback...

How do I get a macro to be non worksheet specific?
I can't figure out how to make a macro non worksheet specific like they were in previous versions of Excel. I want to have a macro that will sort the same range of cells of whatever sheet that I am in, rather than having the same macro for each sheet with a different name. In EXCEL 2007:- When you record your Macro for the first time you will get the Macro panel up (where you name it). In here there is a section called:- Store macro in: It is here that you can select one of the options to make the macro available outside of that Workbook only. Please hit yes ...

Do I need a specific version of Office 2007 for Server 2003?
I am looking to install Office 2007 for my Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and am wondering if I need a specific "server" version of Office or will any old Office 2007 suite work? Also, I am just looking to really install 2007 Word and Excel. What would be the best option? Thank you in advance. On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:50:01 -0700, DRosenthal wrote: > I am looking to install Office 2007 for my Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and > am wondering if I need a specific "server" version of Office or will any old > Office 2007 suite work? Also, I am just looki...

Create files and performance design
Hi, I've a MFC VC++ 6 program which needs to be updated to write out image (jpg, 640x480) files at a rate of 1s. What is the best approach in designing the writer class, such that, it does not block the main thread while the images are written onto disk? My initial thought is the put the Writer class onto a separate thread? What are my alternatives? >My initial thought is the put the Writer class onto a separate thread? What >are my alternatives? Overlapped IO - see the FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED option of the CreateFile API. Dave You have a couple choices here. One is to ...

Outlook 2003 slowness specific details please help
Hi all Outlook gurus. I've got one that has me stumped. One of my clients has Outlook 2003 SP2 installed on a notebook (core duo T7200, 2gb ram, WinXP Pro sp2, 66% free hard drive space on a 68.9GB partition). Connecting to an exchange server having all exchange mail delivered to a local pst. PST is 694.5MB (kind of big, but I've had bigger work better than this is). Outlook seems to go through cycles of responsiveness & unresponsiveness. Specifically, about 5 seconds of responsiveness, followed by about 5 seconds of unresponsiveness...unending. I can be working online, wo...