Debug assertion failed (in afxwin1.inl) line 21

Hi,

I have an application using MFC. The application code is compiling
fine
But when the application is executed
using debug mode  following error is getting generated:

Debug Assertion Failed!

  File: f:\..\..\afxwin.inl
  Line: 21

Hope somebody could help me out by advising what may be wrong with my
code!!

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 17 Feb 2007 10:26:13 -0800, "abhichamp" <abhigup1986@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an application using MFC. The application code is compiling
>fine
>But when the application is executed
>using debug mode  following error is getting generated:
>
>Debug Assertion Failed!
>

>  File: f:\..\..\afxwin.inl
>  Line: 21
>

>Hope somebody could help me out by advising what may be wrong with my
>code!!

Hi,

the problem is 0.1% in MFC code and 99,9% in your code :)

Assertions in debug mode are your friends: they signal you that your
code has problems, has bugs; they are an opportunity for you to fix
some bugs in your code.

Please show us your code that causes the assertion.

MrAsm
0
mrasm (715)
2/17/2007 6:37:37 PM
On Feb 17, 11:37 pm, MrAsm <m...@usa.com> wrote:
> On 17 Feb 2007 10:26:13 -0800, "abhichamp" <abhigup1...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Hi,
>
> >I have an application using MFC. The application code is compiling
> >fine
> >But when the application is executed
> >using debug mode  following error is getting generated:
>
> >Debug Assertion Failed!
>
> >  File: f:\..\..\afxwin.inl
> >  Line: 21
>
> >Hope somebody could help me out by advising what may be wrong with my
> >code!!
>
> Hi,
>
> the problem is 0.1% in MFC code and 99,9% in your code :)
>
> Assertions in debug mode are your friends: they signal you that your
> code has problems, has bugs; they are an opportunity for you to fix
> some bugs in your code.
>
> Please show us your code that causes the assertion.
>
> MrAsm

// myproj1.cpp : Defines the class behaviors for the application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"
#include "myproj1.h"
#include "MainFrm.h"

#include "ChildFrm.h"
#include "myproj1Doc.h"
#include "myproj1View.h"

#ifdef _DEBUG
#define new DEBUG_NEW
#endif

using namespace std;

//using namespace tacrea;
// Cmyproj1App

BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(Cmyproj1App, CWinApp)
	ON_COMMAND(ID_APP_ABOUT, &Cmyproj1App::OnAppAbout)
	// Standard file based document commands
	ON_COMMAND(ID_FILE_NEW, &CWinApp::OnFileNew)
	ON_COMMAND(ID_FILE_OPEN, &CWinApp::OnFileOpen)
	// Standard print setup command
	ON_COMMAND(ID_FILE_PRINT_SETUP, &CWinApp::OnFilePrintSetup)
END_MESSAGE_MAP()

// Cmyproj1App construction

Cmyproj1App::Cmyproj1App()
{
	// TODO: add construction code here,
	// Place all significant initialization in InitInstance
}

// The one and only Cmyproj1App object

Cmyproj1App theApp;

// Cmyproj1App initialization

BOOL Cmyproj1App::InitInstance()
{
	// InitCommonControlsEx() is required on Windows XP if an application
	// manifest specifies use of ComCtl32.dll version 6 or later to
enable
	// visual styles.  Otherwise, any window creation will fail.
	INITCOMMONCONTROLSEX InitCtrls;
	InitCtrls.dwSize = sizeof(InitCtrls);
	// Set this to include all the common control classes you want to use
	// in your application.
	InitCtrls.dwICC = ICC_WIN95_CLASSES;
	InitCommonControlsEx(&InitCtrls);

	CWinApp::InitInstance();

	AfxEnableControlContainer();

	// create main MDI Frame window
	CMainFrame* pMainFrame = new CMainFrame;
	if (!pMainFrame || !pMainFrame->LoadFrame(IDR_MAINFRAME))
	{
		delete pMainFrame;
		return FALSE;
	}
	m_pMainWnd = pMainFrame;
	// call DragAcceptFiles only if there's a suffix
	//  In an MDI app, this should occur immediately after setting
m_pMainWnd

	// Parse command line for standard shell commands, DDE, file open
	CCommandLineInfo cmdInfo;
	ParseCommandLine(cmdInfo);

	// Dispatch commands specified on the command line.  Will return
FALSE if
	// app was launched with /RegServer, /Register, /Unregserver or /
Unregister.
	if (!ProcessShellCommand(cmdInfo))
		return FALSE;
	// The main window has been initialized, so show and update it
	pMainFrame->ShowWindow(m_nCmdShow);
	pMainFrame->UpdateWindow();
	cout<<"Where"<<endl;

    CoInitialize(NULL);                         //my code
    tacrea::Initialize();
	tacrea::Scene scene;
    scene.Initialize();

	/*if( scene.Initialize() == tacrea::TACREA_NO_ERROR )
      {
	    cout<<"Error initializing frame"<<endl;
        //return 1;
        }
  */
		string strFilename="../../DATA/CONSTRUCT-HDB/PioneerNorth/
PioneerNorth.xsn";
	/*
	 if( scene.OpenScene(strFilename) ==tacrea::TACREA_NO_ERROR )
        {
            // create camera and set position, orientation and
intrinsic parameters.
            tacrea::Camera cam;
            cam.SetPosition(1300,25,0);

cam.SetOrientation(tacrea::math::DegreeToRadian( tacrea::Vec3(0,-20,0) ) );
            cam.SetViewFrustumFov(45,45,0.5,5000);

            // sets camera
            scene.SetCamera(cam);

              // declare variables for map generation
            tacrea::ColorMap colormap;  // color map
            tacrea::DistMap distmap;    // distance map
            tacrea::IdMap idmap;        // id map

            tacrea::Size width=256;     // size of map
            tacrea::Size height=256;    // size of map

            // generate the maps
            cout << "generating maps" << endl;
            tacrea::Error result = scene.GenerateMaps(width,height,
&colormap, &distmap, &idmap);

            if( result == tacrea::TACREA_NO_ERROR )
            {

                // TODO: process the maps
				for(tacrea::Size y=0;y<colormap.GetHeight();y++)
					for(tacrea::Size x=0;x<colormap.GetWidth();x++)
                      {
                      const tacrea::Color & c=colormap.GetData(x,y);
                      cout<<"Red   "<<c[0];
                      cout<<"Blue  "<<c[1];
                      cout<<"Green "<<c[2];
                      }

					for(tacrea::Size y=0;y<idmap.GetHeight();y++)
						for(tacrea::Size x=0;x<idmap.GetWidth();x++)
                      {
                      tacrea::ObjId id=idmap.GetData(x,y);
                      cout<<"id"<<idmap.TranslateId(id)<<endl;
                     }

            }
            else
            {
                // error during map generation
                cout << "error:" << result.what() << endl;
               return 1;
            }
          }
        else
        {
            // error during loading
            cout << "error loading" << endl;
            return 1;
        }

	*/
	/*
      // **** Create Render Window as Preview Window's Child****
     m_pPreviewWnd = new TACREAMainWnd;

	if (!m_pPreviewWnd->Create( "TACREA", &CRect(0,0,0,0)) )
    {
        AfxMessageBox("ERROR: Failed to create preview window\n");
        return FALSE;
    }

    m_pRenderWnd = new CRenderWnd;

    if( ! m_pRenderWnd-
>Create(NULL,NULL,WS_CHILD,CRect(0,0,0,0),m_pPreviewWnd,2000) )
    {
        AfxMessageBox("ERROR : failed to create render window\n");
        return FALSE;
    }
       m_pRenderWnd->BindScene(scene);
    */
        CoUninitialize();

	return TRUE;
}

// CAboutDlg dialog used for App About

class CAboutDlg : public CDialog
{
public:
	CAboutDlg();

// Dialog Data
	enum { IDD = IDD_ABOUTBOX };

protected:
	virtual void DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX);    // DDX/DDV
support

// Implementation
protected:
	DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP()
};

CAboutDlg::CAboutDlg() : CDialog(CAboutDlg::IDD)
{
}

void CAboutDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX)
{
	CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX);
}

BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(CAboutDlg, CDialog)
END_MESSAGE_MAP()

// App command to run the dialog
void Cmyproj1App::OnAppAbout()
{
	CAboutDlg aboutDlg;
	aboutDlg.DoModal();
}

// Cmyproj1App message handlers

On Feb 17, 11:49 pm, "abhichamp" <abhigup1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> support
>
> // Implementation
> protected:
>         DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP()
>
> };
>
> CAboutDlg::CAboutDlg() : CDialog(CAboutDlg::IDD)
> {
>
> }
>
> void CAboutDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX)
> {
>         CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX);
>
> }
>
> BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(CAboutDlg, CDialog)
> END_MESSAGE_MAP()
>
> // App command to run the dialog
> void Cmyproj1App::OnAppAbout()
> {
>         CAboutDlg aboutDlg;
>         aboutDlg.DoModal();
>
> }
>
> // Cmyproj1App message handlers

CoInitialize(NULL);                         //my code

the last line is the one which is causing the trouble!!!  if i comment
it no errors!!

On 17 Feb 2007 10:55:55 -0800, "abhichamp" <abhigup1986@gmail.com>
wrote:

>CoInitialize(NULL);                         //my code
>    tacrea::Initialize();
>        tacrea::Scene scene;
>    scene.Initialize();
>
>the last line is the one which is causing the trouble!!!  if i comment
>it no errors!!

So it would be interesting to see the code for Scene::Initialize...

MrAsm
0
mrasm (715)
2/17/2007 11:17:09 PM
Well, there's an error in your program.  Of course, it would help a LOT in figuring this
out, if you had managed to think of actually posting some code, such as the code that
caused the error.  Otherwise, the ethereal vibration method of intuiting what might have
gone wrong is required, and it isn't working well tonight; for some reason I can't see
what the code is you wrote.

Which version of VS are you using?  VS6, VS2002, VS2003, VS2005?  It matters a lot!

In this case, it looks like AfxGetInstanceHandle is failing.  So of course, knowing where
it was called from would be a massively large help in understanding what is going on. Look
at the call stack.
					joe

On 17 Feb 2007 10:26:13 -0800, "abhichamp" <abhigup1986@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an application using MFC. The application code is compiling
>fine
>But when the application is executed
>using debug mode  following error is getting generated:
>
>Debug Assertion Failed!
>

>  File: f:\..\..\afxwin.inl
>  Line: 21
>

>Hope somebody could help me out by advising what may be wrong with my
>code!!
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
2/18/2007 7:28:40 AM
Anyone who is startled by a runtime assertion is more at the level of the likely source of
the error is that 0.000000000000000001% would be MFC and the balance would be a programmer
error.   You are attributing far too high a likelihood to MFC.
					joe

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:37:37 GMT, MrAsm <mrasm@usa.com> wrote:

>On 17 Feb 2007 10:26:13 -0800, "abhichamp" <abhigup1986@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have an application using MFC. The application code is compiling
>>fine
>>But when the application is executed
>>using debug mode  following error is getting generated:
>>
>>Debug Assertion Failed!
>>

>>  File: f:\..\..\afxwin.inl
>>  Line: 21
>>

>>Hope somebody could help me out by advising what may be wrong with my
>>code!!
>
>Hi,
>
>the problem is 0.1% in MFC code and 99,9% in your code :)
>
>Assertions in debug mode are your friends: they signal you that your
>code has problems, has bugs; they are an opportunity for you to fix
>some bugs in your code.
>
>Please show us your code that causes the assertion.
>
>MrAsm
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
2/18/2007 7:30:29 AM
See below...
On 17 Feb 2007 10:49:33 -0800, "abhichamp" <abhigup1986@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>	if (!pMainFrame || !pMainFrame->LoadFrame(IDR_MAINFRAME))
>	{
>		delete pMainFrame;
>		return FALSE;
>	}
>	m_pMainWnd = pMainFrame;
>	// call DragAcceptFiles only if there's a suffix
>	//  In an MDI app, this should occur immediately after setting
>m_pMainWnd
>

>	// Parse command line for standard shell commands, DDE, file open
>	CCommandLineInfo cmdInfo;
>	ParseCommandLine(cmdInfo);
>

>	// Dispatch commands specified on the command line.  Will return
>FALSE if
>	// app was launched with /RegServer, /Register, /Unregserver or /
>Unregister.
>	if (!ProcessShellCommand(cmdInfo))
>		return FALSE;
>	// The main window has been initialized, so show and update it
****
And where do you think this output is going to appear?  Answer: nowhere.  cout has no
meaning in Windows programs, and you can forget that it exists.
****

>    CoInitialize(NULL);                         //my code
>    tacrea::Initialize();
>	tacrea::Scene scene;
>    scene.Initialize();
>
>	/*if( scene.Initialize() == tacrea::TACREA_NO_ERROR )
>      {
>	    cout<<"Error initializing frame"<<endl;
****
Can't happen.   cout doesn't exist.
****
>        //return 1;
>        }
>  */
>		string strFilename="../../DATA/CONSTRUCT-HDB/PioneerNorth/
>PioneerNorth.xsn";
>	/*
>	 if( scene.OpenScene(strFilename) ==tacrea::TACREA_NO_ERROR )
>        {
>            // create camera and set position, orientation and
>intrinsic parameters.
>            tacrea::Camera cam;
>            cam.SetPosition(1300,25,0);
>
>cam.SetOrientation(tacrea::math::DegreeToRadian( tacrea::Vec3(0,-20,0) ) );
>            cam.SetViewFrustumFov(45,45,0.5,5000);
>
>            // sets camera
>            scene.SetCamera(cam);
>
>              // declare variables for map generation
>            tacrea::ColorMap colormap;  // color map
>            tacrea::DistMap distmap;    // distance map
>            tacrea::IdMap idmap;        // id map
>
>            tacrea::Size width=256;     // size of map
>            tacrea::Size height=256;    // size of map
>
>            // generate the maps
>            cout << "generating maps" << endl;
****
Forget cout
****
>            tacrea::Error result = scene.GenerateMaps(width,height,
>&colormap, &distmap, &idmap);
>
>            if( result == tacrea::TACREA_NO_ERROR )
>            {
>
>                // TODO: process the maps
>				for(tacrea::Size y=0;y<colormap.GetHeight();y++)
>					for(tacrea::Size x=0;x<colormap.GetWidth();x++)
>                      {
>                      const tacrea::Color & c=colormap.GetData(x,y);
>                      cout<<"Red   "<<c[0];
>                      cout<<"Blue  "<<c[1];
>                      cout<<"Green "<<c[2];
****
lose cout
****
>                      }
>

>					for(tacrea::Size y=0;y<idmap.GetHeight();y++)
>						for(tacrea::Size x=0;x<idmap.GetWidth();x++)
>                      {
>                      tacrea::ObjId id=idmap.GetData(x,y);
>                      cout<<"id"<<idmap.TranslateId(id)<<endl;
****
Lose every cout.  It doesn't exist, so there is no point in writing to it

Curious: why are you doing so much computation here?  How long is it going to take to
start up this app?
****
>                     }
>
>            }
>            else
>            {
>                // error during map generation
>                cout << "error:" << result.what() << endl;
>               return 1;
>            }
>          }
>        else
>        {
>            // error during loading
>            cout << "error loading" << endl;
>            return 1;
>        }
>
>	*/
>	/*
>      // **** Create Render Window as Preview Window's Child****
>     m_pPreviewWnd = new TACREAMainWnd;
>
>	if (!m_pPreviewWnd->Create( "TACREA", &CRect(0,0,0,0)) )
>    {
>        AfxMessageBox("ERROR: Failed to create preview window\n");
>        return FALSE;
>    }
>
>    m_pRenderWnd = new CRenderWnd;
>
>    if( ! m_pRenderWnd-
>>Create(NULL,NULL,WS_CHILD,CRect(0,0,0,0),m_pPreviewWnd,2000) )
>    {
>        AfxMessageBox("ERROR : failed to create render window\n");
>        return FALSE;
>    }
>       m_pRenderWnd->BindScene(scene);
>    */
>        CoUninitialize();
>
>	return TRUE;
>}
****
Great.  Given that we have none of the features that could test this code, it would help
if you indicated which line causes the error!!!!!
*****

>// CAboutDlg dialog used for App About
>
>class CAboutDlg : public CDialog
>{
>public:
>	CAboutDlg();
>
>// Dialog Data
>	enum { IDD = IDD_ABOUTBOX };
>
>protected:
>	virtual void DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX);    // DDX/DDV
>support
>
>// Implementation
>protected:
>	DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP()
>};
>
>CAboutDlg::CAboutDlg() : CDialog(CAboutDlg::IDD)
>{
>}
>
>void CAboutDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX)
>{
>	CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX);
>}
>
>BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(CAboutDlg, CDialog)
>END_MESSAGE_MAP()
>
>// App command to run the dialog
>void Cmyproj1App::OnAppAbout()
>{
>	CAboutDlg aboutDlg;
>	aboutDlg.DoModal();
>}
>

>// Cmyproj1App message handlers

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
2/18/2007 7:36:47 AM
Are you really sure that is the line?  The key here is you need to know not what line
commented out causes the error, but what line that initiated the call that ends up in the
illegal situation was executed.  It may or may not be the line you have indicated.
					joe

> [...]

>> CAboutDlg::CAboutDlg() : CDialog(CAboutDlg::IDD)
>> {
>>
>> }
>>
>> void CAboutDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX)
>> {
>>         CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX);
>>
>> }
>>
>> BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(CAboutDlg, CDialog)
>> END_MESSAGE_MAP()
>>
>> // App command to run the dialog
>> void Cmyproj1App::OnAppAbout()
>> {
>>         CAboutDlg aboutDlg;
>>         aboutDlg.DoModal();
>>
>> }
>>
>> // Cmyproj1App message handlers
>
>CoInitialize(NULL);                         //my code
>    tacrea::Initialize();
>        tacrea::Scene scene;
>    scene.Initialize();
>
>the last line is the one which is causing the trouble!!!  if i comment
****
So what does it do?  Call stack display!
			joe
****
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
2/18/2007 7:38:40 AM
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 02:30:29 -0500, Joseph M. Newcomer
<newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:

>Anyone who is startled by a runtime assertion is more at the level of the likely source of
>the error is that 0.000000000000000001% would be MFC and the balance would be a programmer
>error.   You are attributing far too high a likelihood to MFC.
>					joe

I think you are right :)
But I had a more limited number of significant digits in my mind than
you wrote in your post ;)

MrAsm
0
mrasm (715)

3.0 Upgrade Failed
We have recently been trying to upgrade our 1.2 installation to 3.0, but have ran into some stumbling blocks along the way. After resolving the "Invalid SQL replication data" error on the advisor we were finally able to continue on with the installation but now continuously get the below error causing a failed installation. The enviornment is as such: SQL 2000 SP4 on 2003 std CRM 1.2 on seperate 2003 std Active Directory operating in 2003 functional Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks! Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server....

The Operation on the | Object failed
I have an access database linked to a SQL server 2005 back end database and my users randomly get the above message on occasions. It appears to usually happen when running VBA code. Can anybody help? ...

Update Fails to Load
I have tried several times to install KB979683 and keep getting failure message. All other updates load fine. Also, have Stopzilla and McAfee Virus Scan but can't seem to get rid of a malicious file that won't let me go to sites when I look up things on google, bing....always get sent to advertisement websites. Any ideas or helpful suggestions!! Thanks Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. When does your McAfee su...

Creating single lines of data from a multi-column table
Hi folks. I have a client who wants us to import data held as a grid in Excel into our software as a csv file. The data is held as follows: Job No Prod A Prod B Prod C 1234 6 7 1987 12 1545 12 2 etc To work correctly the csv file needs to create the above as: "1234","Prod A","6" "1234","Prod B","7" "1987","Prod C","12" "1545","Prod B","12" "1545","Prod C","...

Dialog and asserts
Hi, I have a dialog based application and I want to open another dialog. I have a function int CMyDialog::Execute { // CMyDialog::Execute int ret_code; CNewDialog m_NewDialog(this); ret_code = m_NewDialog.DoModal(); return ret_code; } // CMyDialog::Execute that opens this dialog but this fail :( I got at assert on this line BOOL CWnd::Attach(HWND hWndNew) { ---> ASSERT(m_hWnd == NULL); // only attach once, detach on I have realized my application with the Wizard so I am not very expert about this stuff. Can someone tell me what's happening ? Stefano Malavasi __...

ANN: nxslt (.NET XSLT Command Line Utility) version 1.3
Hello! I'm glad to announce version 1.3 of nxslt - .NET XSLT command line utility. What is nxslt nxslt is a feature-rich command line utility that allows to perform XSL Transformations (XSLT) using .NET Framework's XSLT implementation - System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform class. nxslt basically dublicates functionality and command line options, provided by Microsoft's MSXSL.EXE Command Line Transformation Utility. In addition, nxslt has some distinct advanced features, like support for XInclude, embedded stylesheets, custom URI resolving, multiple result documents, custom extension fun...

Debug Assertion Faild
Debug Assertion Fail Program: C:..... File: winocc.cp Line: 22 The exception Breakpoin A breakpoint has been reache (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x5f4369c This program is to scan a file and look for a matching string. Could this error be caused by code not exiting a "break;" properly? I'm not sure how to explore resolving this. The information listed in the Debug is The thread 0x3DD8 has exited with code 0 (0x0) The thread 0x3EA8 has exited with code -2147483645 (0x80000003) The program 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Dads\Programmi...

How to reinstall failed updates in Windows 7
How do i try to reinstall failed updates ? Seems windows update doesn't support that. I have Windows 7. Suggest you post this to the Windows 7 forum instead of the * Windows Update * newsgroup: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/threads "JamesW" wrote: > How do i try to reinstall failed updates ? > > Seems windows update doesn't support that. > > I have Windows 7. Ditto - another Win7 user here - when I follow recommendation to troubleshoot on the error code "WindowsUpdate_8020000E" appears as non...

difference between 2 lines in a scatter chart
I have created a scatter chart with two lines. The x axis is divided up into 10 parts and labeled 10, 20, 30, 40, etc. What I want to do is calculate the distance between the two lines between the x values of 40 and 60. Does anyone know how to to that? Thank you in advance. -- prd02003 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ prd02003's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25762 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391727 How did you generate the lines? Are they from the data directly...

OWA Fails to Load
Two OWA environments are failing with the same behavior. 1) The first environment is Windows NT 4 SP6a running Exchange 5.5 SP4. OWA is hosted on seperate NT box running IIS. IIS box must be restarted to temporarilly solve problem. Works for a day or so then main OWA page fails to talk to Exchange box after login and simply hangs with no erors, or gives an ASP error, but nothing in eventlogs. Cannot restart WWW service on IIS box. 2) Second environment is Windows 2000 SP4 running Exchange 5.5 SP4 and IIS on the same box. Same behavior as first environment. OWA hangs after login and does...

DEBUG
Curious, new problem has started. Evey once in a whle a new folder appears on my desktop labeled "debug"..The folder is empty and I do not know how it is formed or why..Does someone know the cause of this and a remedy so it does not appear again Thanks Running Xp professtional heshie wrote: > Curious, new problem has started. Evey once in a whle a new folder appears on > my desktop labeled "debug"..The folder is empty and I do not know how it is > formed or why..Does someone know the cause of this and a remedy so it does > not appear again &g...

When the VBA Project is locked the Save As Method fails in Excel
I cannot find a resolution. I already have the VB Code secure (the VBA Project is locked). When the Project is locked the Save As Method fails. If the VBA Project is not locked, the Save As Method works successfully. I cannot seem to find anything that addresses that situation. Do I need to get a digital signature? Do you think that will fix the problem? ...

cell line pattern prints to close together. how to fix?
I am trying to have the lines print wider appart than having it look like it is a gray filled cell. I am trying to differenciate between something that is gray and used seldomly and something that cannot be used at all. This is for calculation submittals to state for engineering approvals. ...

An application crashes only under debugging
Hi, I'm using VC++ 6.0. I have a Win32 Application (I will call it "EXE") which is linked with a Win32 DLL and I don't have the source files of the DLL; When I execute the EXE by double-clicking on the icon reprsenting it , there are no problems; On the contrary, if I try to debug the EXE the program crashes: in fact, the debugger shows an "Access Violation" error message and informs that an istruction of the DLL attempts to read a memory location which cannot be read. Does someone know a possible cause of this problem? Thanks. M If the DLL is an MFC DLL (it is...

off line messages
my outlook 2000 which syncs to exchange when i am connected to the LAN does not appear to be downloading the latest aavailable messages. when i go to view messags off line the last message is from two weeks ago. is there a setting that i am misssing? ...

Portfolio Manger Fails
I see where others have a similar problem, but have read no solution. After "upgrading" from Money2004 to Money2005, the portfolio manager pages shows a blank screen. No investment information whatsoever. Any ideas on a work around.... In microsoft.public.money, brawn wrote: >I see where others have a similar problem, but have read no solution. After >"upgrading" from Money2004 to Money2005, the portfolio manager pages shows a >blank screen. No investment information whatsoever. Any ideas on a work >around.... Does Help->About show version 14.0...

How do I slant grid line at top of each column?
I am attempting to duplicate a form that has the top row of each column slanted at about degrees. How can I accomplish this in Excel. Select cells at top, do Format / Cells / Alignment - Set orientation to about 2:30 Now apply a right & left border to those cells. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ------------------------------�--------------------------...

Line Wrapping Fix Not Working
I'm aware of Microsoft's registry changes to prevent line wrapping in plain text messages: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823921 However, it seems to not have any effect. I'm running Outlook 2003 on WinXP (with Office XP as the rest of my Office environment). I'm connecting to an Exchange 2003 server in Cached mode and have my default message format changed to plain text. Has anyone had any issues getting the registry change to go into effect? When replying to messages, the very strange line wrapping behavior persists, even with the WrapLines key set to 0. Any help wo...

Help in making a simle column/line chart in excel using vb6
Hi, I want to make a simple column or line chart in excel using vb6. I have created instance of excel and in the sheet1, I am able to populate some data. Now using that data, say the range is A2-B6, I want to use that range and make a chart. Pls help by giving me code, step by step. Thx Sandeep Sandeep - Step 1. In Excel, turn on the macro recorder while making the kind of chart you want. Step 2. Refine the recorded code. Here is some recorded code, which creates an embedded column chart, adds axis and chart titles, and does a little formatting: '' START RECORDED CODE Sub...

Authentication failed because Entourage doesn't support any of the available authentication methods. 04-13-10

OWA, once logged in ONLY has white boackground and bkue center line
server is win2003, exchange2003, sp2. it doesn't happen to all users, seems like it only happens to some, mostly win2000 boxes. I'm the exchange admin and when I try to log on to owa with a problem box, my owa does the same thing. but when I use my laptop, no issue? AL ...

Weird: CRichEditCtrl scrollbars work in debug build but not in release build
Hi, I have an App Wizard project (VS 6.0), non doc-view architecture. My view class is: class CRichTextView : public CRichEditCtrl. In MainFrm.cpp I have a member variable of: CRichTextView m_wndView;. I create the view as follows: if (!m_wndView.Create(WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | ES_AUTOVSCROLL | ES_MULTILINE | WS_VSCROLL, CRect(0,0,0,0), this, AFX_IDW_PANE_FIRST)) { TRACE0("Failed to create view window\n"); return -1; } It works "just peachy" in the debug build. But, when I make...

Installation of KB982311 Failed
Running current Windows XP Pro SP3 system with Office 2002. Attempted install of latest June 2nd Tuesday updates and KB982311 failed to install. I have the same problem when the system tries to autoupdate KB982311. The error code is 0x80070643 - and the system keeps trying to install this particular update. I am running Windows XP SP3. All other updates from june 11th 2010 installed without problems - only this one failed. I don't have a genuine Microsoft Office 2003 installation - only the free Office Viewers from Microsoft - maye that's the reason, though it has ...

Bar Chart to line chart excel 2007
I am trying to create a bar chart layout but with lines replacing the bars so the lines are seen to run vertically. This gives the impression of a line chart rotated thro 90 degrees. This is sometimes referred to as a Dot Plot: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "RPG" <RPG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85124D06-FFC4-4E1B-9ABB-D35E9284013F@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a bar chart l...

Debug in Release mode?
Old wine in old bottle.. being served by a new bartender :o) How do I do this? pointer would be much appreciated. >Old wine in old bottle.. being served by a new bartender :o) > >How do I do this? The subject or the content? To debug a release build see "How to: Debug a Release Build" in your VC++ help. Dave In addition to what Dave suggested you might want to just do a find on this newsgroup using those keywords. There have been several discussions on that topic in the last few days that should pop up a bunch of links. If you can't find them let me know and ...