debug a document double click

If I double click on a document for my application it crashes - how do I
debug this, because clearly I can't do it while the tool is running (it
opens a new instance when double click a file)? I associated the files with
the debug version of the build and it brings up visual studio OK, but there
is no useful information (to me!) and none of my classes are in the
callstack window, nor does it step into any of my code. Callstack window has
just this:

> mfc80.dll!CWinApp::ExitInstance()  Line 852 + 0xa bytes C++
  mfc80.dll!AfxWinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance=0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ *
hPrevInstance=0x00000000, char * lpCmdLine=0x00152334, int nCmdShow=1)  Line
49 C++
  Circa.exe!00490c95()
  [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for
Circa.exe]
  kernel32.dll!7c816fd7()

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If I double click on a document for my application it crashes - how do I
> debug this,...

Put in a call to DebugBreak() somewhere shortly after the program starts.

I have one (commented out for most of the time) in my
CWinApp::InitInstance() override, which I reinstate for just this kind of
debugging.

Dave
--
David Webber
Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor'

dave9996 (486)
6/14/2007 12:12:56 PM
"David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote in message
> Put in a call to DebugBreak() somewhere shortly after the program starts.

And if this for some reason does not work, replace the call to DebugBreak()
with a call to MessageBox().  While the message box is showing, use Visual
Studio's "Attach to process" to start debugging it.  For some reason, I've
had only partial success using DebugBreak().

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
6/14/2007 12:55:35 PM
"David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
> "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote in message
>> Put in a call to DebugBreak() somewhere shortly after the program starts.
>>

> And if this for some reason does not work, replace the call to
> DebugBreak() with a call to MessageBox().  While the message box is
> showing, use Visual Studio's "Attach to process" to start debugging it.
> For some reason, I've had only partial success using DebugBreak().

Thanks - I have managed to get into it with DebugBreak, but I don't
understand the results I am seeing at the moment! If the application is
opened by double clicking the EXE, or running through Visual Studio, all is
well, but if it is opened by double clicking on a project file, then the
default view is not created and I can't use the pointer to it and the
program aborts by returning false from the InitInstance. Haven't figured out
why yet!

> Thanks - I have managed to get into it with DebugBreak, but I don't
> understand the results I am seeing at the moment! If the application is
> opened by double clicking the EXE, or running through Visual Studio, all
> is well, but if it is opened by double clicking on a project file, then
> the default view is not created and I can't use the pointer to it and the
> program aborts by returning false from the InitInstance. Haven't figured
> out why yet!

What does your InitInstance() look like?  Does it call
ProcessShellCommand()?  This is intricately tied into the doc/view
architecture and what gets created and when.  See
http://www.microsoft.com/msj/archive/S204D.aspx

Does InitInstance() return FALSE or does the app crash?

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
6/14/2007 2:01:41 PM
"GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Thanks - I have managed to get into it with DebugBreak, but I don't
> understand the results I am seeing at the moment! If the application is
> opened by double clicking the EXE, or running through Visual Studio, all
> is well, but if it is opened by double clicking on a project file, then
> the default view is not created and I can't use the pointer to it and the
> program aborts by returning false from the InitInstance. Haven't figured
> out why yet!

In my (MDI) app, I always thought it was stupid opening with a default new
document.  99% of the time people wouldn't want it, and so I stopped it
happening - about 13 years ago so I'd have to go to the source code to work
out what I did :-).

But double clicking a document passes the document file name on the command
line and I parse that and open it.    Could it be that your code knows there
is a file name coming, and therefore doesn't open the default view, but
doesn't succeed in opening the file it should be opening either?

If you step through the code from the DebugBreak() - as long as it is soon
enough - you should be able to debug the command line parsing and subsequent
view creation.

I was a bit dismayed at David C's comment - I have never had any problems
with DebugBreak().

Dave
--
David Webber
Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor'
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion/support see

dave9996 (486)
6/14/2007 2:07:31 PM
You might also be able to simulate the problem by filling in the path to the
file name in the project properties as the command line under Debug.  Then
you could run the program from the debugger and get nearly the same effect.

Tom

"GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If I double click on a document for my application it crashes - how do I
> debug this, because clearly I can't do it while the tool is running (it
> opens a new instance when double click a file)? I associated the files
> with the debug version of the build and it brings up visual studio OK, but
> there is no useful information (to me!) and none of my classes are in the
> callstack window, nor does it step into any of my code. Callstack window
> has just this:
>
>> mfc80.dll!CWinApp::ExitInstance()  Line 852 + 0xa bytes C++
>  mfc80.dll!AfxWinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance=0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ *
> hPrevInstance=0x00000000, char * lpCmdLine=0x00152334, int nCmdShow=1)
> Line 49 C++
>  Circa.exe!00490c95()
>  [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for
> Circa.exe]
>  kernel32.dll!7c816fd7()
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

0
tom.nospam (3240)
6/14/2007 2:31:19 PM
> I was a bit dismayed at David C's comment - I have never had any problems
> with DebugBreak().

I think my trouble had to do with debugging a program which caught the
generated exception, preventing the IDE debugger from starting the
just-in-time debug.  But if you put the DebugBreak() in the InitInstance(),
there shouldn't be any exception catching yet, so this probably always
works.

Cheers,
David

0
dc2983 (3206)
6/14/2007 2:42:50 PM

> "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote in message

>> I was a bit dismayed at David C's comment - I have never had any problems
>> with DebugBreak().
>>

> I think my trouble had to do with debugging a program which caught the
> generated exception, preventing the IDE debugger from starting the
> just-in-time debug.  But if you put the DebugBreak() in the
> InitInstance(), there shouldn't be any exception catching yet, so this
> probably always works.

I'm relieved!    In fact it is almost entirely when I'm debugging command
line stuff that I use a DebugBreak() and InitInstance() is therefore where
it goes :-)

Dave
--
David Webber
Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor'
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion/support see

dave9996 (486)
6/14/2007 3:21:07 PM
On Jun 14, 10:31 am, "Tom Serface" <tom.nos...@camaswood.com> wrote:
> You might also be able to simulate the problem by filling in the path to the
> file name in the project properties as the command line under Debug.  Then
> you could run the program from the debugger and get nearly the same effect.

I dont think this will work. Double clicking in explorer has a
different mechanism (DDE) than starting it from command line.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
6/14/2007 3:29:02 PM
> "GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks - I have managed to get into it with DebugBreak, but I don't
>> understand the results I am seeing at the moment! If the application is
>> opened by double clicking the EXE, or running through Visual Studio, all
>> is well, but if it is opened by double clicking on a project file, then
>> the default view is not created and I can't use the pointer to it and the
>> program aborts by returning false from the InitInstance. Haven't figured
>> out why yet!
>
> What does your InitInstance() look like?  Does it call
> ProcessShellCommand()?  This is intricately tied into the doc/view
> architecture and what gets created and when.  See
> http://www.microsoft.com/msj/archive/S204D.aspx
>
> Does InitInstance() return FALSE or does the app crash?

My InitInstance does call ProcessShellCommand() and I moved the call, so
perhaps I have broken something there!. I've not opened it yet, but I'll
have a read of your link.

The InitInstance returns FALSE in my own code as one of my pointers is NULL
to a window that I need to guarantee is always open. Basically sounds like I
have cocked up the Doc/View, which is exactly what you mention the above
link is about!

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:07:31 +0100, "David Webber"
<dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote:

>I was a bit dismayed at David C's comment - I have never had any problems
>with DebugBreak().

VC6's catch(...) could catch the structured exception thrown by that
function, which I mentioned here:

http://members.cox.net/doug_web/eh.htm

This appears to have been fixed as early as VC 7.1, even under /EHa.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP
"Doug Harrison [MVP]" <dsh@mvps.org> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:07:31 +0100, "David Webber"
> <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I was a bit dismayed at David C's comment - I have never had any problems
>>with DebugBreak().
>
> VC6's catch(...) could catch the structured exception thrown by that
> function, which I mentioned here:
>
> http://members.cox.net/doug_web/eh.htm
>
> This appears to have been fixed as early as VC 7.1, even under /EHa.

The program I was debugging had installed its own SEH handler, and I'm
almost positive it was built with something later than VC6.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
6/14/2007 4:41:22 PM
David,

If you ever have that problem again, try:

__asm int 3;

Drew

"David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
> "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote in message
>> I was a bit dismayed at David C's comment - I have never had any problems
>> with DebugBreak().
>>

> I think my trouble had to do with debugging a program which caught the
> generated exception, preventing the IDE debugger from starting the
> just-in-time debug.  But if you put the DebugBreak() in the
> InitInstance(), there shouldn't be any exception catching yet, so this
> probably always works.
>
> Cheers,
> David

0
dam4330 (47)
6/14/2007 5:56:52 PM
"Drew" <dam@dam.dam> wrote in message
> David,
>
> If you ever have that problem again, try:
>
> __asm int 3;

Heh, I didn't know that worked in Win32.  It was a favorite back in the DOS
days, though.  Thanks for the tip!

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
6/14/2007 6:04:41 PM

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:56:52 -0500, "Drew" <dam@dam.dam> wrote:

>David,
>
>If you ever have that problem again, try:
>
>__asm int 3;
>
>Drew

That's the same thing DebugBreak does and should be equivalent to it WRT
being caught by exception handlers. That said, I've heard the __asm
approach is slightly better because the instruction resides in "your code"
rather than a system DLL, which may give better stack info in the debugger.
This article appears to say much the same thing:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ea9yy3ey(VS.80).aspx

Instead of __asm, new code should use the __debugbreak intrinsic:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f408b4et(VS.80).aspx

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP
<dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

>"Doug Harrison [MVP]" <dsh@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>> VC6's catch(...) could catch the structured exception thrown by that
>> function, which I mentioned here:
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/doug_web/eh.htm
>>
>> This appears to have been fixed as early as VC 7.1, even under /EHa.
>>

>The program I was debugging had installed its own SEH handler, and I'm
>almost positive it was built with something later than VC6.

I'm not surprised that an undisciplined SE handler can interfere with
DebugBreak. The interesting thing is that MS apparently fixed catch(...) to
not catch breakpoint exceptions under any condition, with or without /EHa,
before they fixed catch(...) to ignore SEs when using /EHs. IOW, they did a
useful partial fix before implementing a more general fix. I'd have been a
lot happier if they had changed catch(...) to ignore all untranslated SEs
under /EHa, but I suppose that would have broken too much existing (albeit
bad) code.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP

Tom

> On Jun 14, 10:31 am, "Tom Serface" <tom.nos...@camaswood.com> wrote:
>> You might also be able to simulate the problem by filling in the path to
>> the
>> file name in the project properties as the command line under Debug.
>> Then
>> you could run the program from the debugger and get nearly the same
>> effect.
>>

> I dont think this will work. Double clicking in explorer has a
> different mechanism (DDE) than starting it from command line.
>
> ---
> Ajay

0
tom.nospam (3240)

Documenting Customizations
I have been looking around for an easy way to pull our customizations information out of 3.0 in some organized fashion so we can see all the changes we've made without sorting through a huge xml document or 100 different entity change documents. So far I have come up empty. Has anyone seen a tool or method for this? If I find anything I will post back. This might be a start, though it won't show you any customizations to onload or onchange events, nor will it show you any isv.config customizations: http://yourcrmserver/sdk/list.aspx provides a list of all of the attributes an...

The installation document for HRP Suite needs editing
The installation document HRPSuiteInstallation.PDF omits any reference to uninstalling PTO Manager. It also needs some comments about the upgrade process and a reminder to back up databases before starting table updates. Finally, a customer installing one product in the suite should not need to load all those .cnk files. It causes unnecessary launch file bloat. This document can and should be much more user friendly. Grade - D+ ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click ...

Double Stack Chart
Hi, I'm wondering if there is a way to create double stack within a month. I want to compare 2008-2009 for each month, Jan, Feb. I was able to make single stack for 2008 only but want to add another bar for 2009 for January, then February, etc. example: 2008 2009 Male Female Male Female Jan 50 60 35 60 Feb 40 75 40 60 Mar 80 60 30 29 etc... Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Comparing Excel Documents
How do may I compare two worksheets the way you can compare documents in word, so that the differences are highlighted? Thanks HTH Brand Myrna Larson and Bill Manville have developed a compare that's very nice. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/whatsnew.htm look for compare.xla But the bad news is that this does a cell-by-cell comparison. A1 compares to A1, x99 to x99, etc. If you insert/delete a row or column, then this won't work very well. ======= Other alternatives that may work depending on what kind of differences you're looking for: Save each worksheet as a .csv file a...

On-Click Events and motion tablet signature boxes?
I have a fairly involved form with 54 option frames. Each frame has 4 option buttons (IN, OUT, N/A, N/O). I already have the option frames setup to update their status in a table with numbers (1,2,3,4) and all this is linked to a specific record number that is auto generated. I can create multiple records that retain my choices for all 54 option frames. What I want to do now is create a table with a list of pre-written comments and an event on each option frame so if I select OUT it will select a specific comment for that specific option. I might select OUT on the option ...

how to avoid IE open a deffirent application when open a new document in IE
hi all I have accountered a trouble. I opened an active document in IE by typing it's name in IE location bar, IE displayed a dialog box ask if I want to ope in place or save the document, I choosed open in place , it worked well, but when I typed another document's name in IE's location bar, als it asked me to open or save agin, I choosed open, but all seemed different, it doesn't work, I inspected the processes , I found another active document application have started by IE, so I think maybe this is the key. anyone has any idea? thanks a lot. ...

Cancelling shortcut ctrl-click which opens "Research" in Excel 200
How do I cancel the shortcut (ctrl click) to "Research"? It is giving me no end of grief when manipulating my way through various windows in Excel. (Word had a "keyboard" option on "customize" which allowed the change there. I could find nothing similar in Excel. I would really like to get rid of it entirely everywhere.) -- bear I made a mistake. Please read Alt-Click instead of ctrl-click. "thebear" wrote: > How do I cancel the shortcut (ctrl click) to "Research"? It is giving me no > end of grief when manipulating my way throug...

Event Name for clicking next tab
I may not be using the right terminology here, but hopefully someone will know what I mean and be able to help. I have a form with a tab-control which has 5 tabs. I want to initiate a macro when a specific tab is clicked. I thought there would be an event that I use to run the macro when the tab I want is clicked, but I can't seem to find it. Is there one out there? On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:17:38 -0500, "Joe" <joeg10@hotmail.com> wrote: >I have a form with a tab-control which has 5 tabs. I want to initiate a >macro when a specific tab is clicked. I tho...

How do I create an 11 X 17 document in Word?
I am trying to create an 11X17" document in Word and I get a message that my margins don't fit. When I go to print preview about 1/3 of the document isn't showing. The same thing happens in Publisher. What am I doing wrong? I'll bet your printer can't handle an 11 x 17 sheet of paper. You need drivers for one that does. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "A vexed teacher" <A vexed teacher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E978CF3-208B-4174-B83A-A2469D5241CE@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create an 11X17" document ...

Remote Debug
Hello, I'm working on Windows CE 5.0 and Freescale BSP iMX31. I have a problem with the remote debugging with VS2005. When I connect the Target and the Host I have a functional ActiveSync connection. When I start the remote debugging, providing is also running fine. But then I become a message 'Debugging cannot start'. When I connect my host with another WinCE-Device (CIRRUS EP9315 WinCE5.0) the remote debugging is running without problems. And now the mysterious: When I reconnect the Freescale-Board in the same session, the remote debugging is now also running without...

return to first button click event after another button click event
Hi, Is it possible to - after clicking a command button on a form and running some code to then exit that button click event and wait for a user to click another command button, this then returning code execution to the first command button click event at the point were it left from ? regards Trevor. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 05:31:08 GMT, "trevorC via AccessMonster.com" <u44860@uwe> wrote: >Hi, >Is it possible to - after clicking a command button on a form and running >some code to then exit that button...

Voucher payables document date 2018
A voucher (check) was posted with the Document Date of 12/17/2018. The invoice itself was dated 12/17/2008. We are trying to VOID this transaction but I get: "The void date cannot be before the document date" (meaning today of 1/16/2009 is before 12/17/2008) The Payables Transaction Posting Journal/Payables Management shows INV Voucher # with the doc date as 12/17/2008 but Check reconciliation cannot be completed because this check is out of the period. Please advise best method of fixing this error. Thank you Pam, Either go into the table and change the document date or c...

Double database backups occuring only on our Great Plains Server
Why do we have double database backups occuring only on our Great Plains server? There is nothing abnormal with our database backup jobs. Though, we are using SQL Server database maintenaince plans for backing up the Great Plain databases. We even upgraded to a new server, and the dame problem exists. Furthermore, we have over 20 SQL Server 2000 servers, and this problem does not exist. Thank you. Have you checked your settings for Maintenance Plans and SQL Jobs in Enterprise Manager? Most likely you will see two jobs created in there for backups. To my knowledge Great Plains doe...

print list of all styles in document
I want to view/print a single list showing ALL of the styles being used in a Publisher document, so I can see the font names, sizes and other characteristics in order to help keep a consistent look and feel in the document. I can look at only one at a time and would have to either print the screen image or write it down to get the full list; one way wastes a lot of paper/toner, the other seems terribly inefficient. Is there an easy way? ...

Double click to open a pdf document
I have a form with a list of documents in the harddrive but not inside MS Access. How do open the documents by double clicking on the selected document which are mostly pdf documents? I have the acrobat reader. Application.FollowHyperlink Me.NameOfControlContainingFullPathToPDFFile -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "JP" <JP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71762D4F-43DB-4237-89D4-D349B38DDB94@microsoft.com... >I have a form with a list of documents in the harddrive but not inside MS > Access....

Questions on Document/View architecture
Hi, I've gone over several books that I bought off-shelf on MFC. But even now, I can't understand what the document is used for. The most confusing element is OnOpenDocument and serialize For onopendocument, the book indicates that you can initialize array elements and other stuff. However, what happens when I want to load stuff from disk amd initialize it on Onopendocument, I guess it is coming from the serialise method. But I did not find a place you can find the file's name.... Please help. Jack Jack wrote: > Hi, > I've gone over several books that I bought o...

How to save macro changes in Read-Only documents?
I have over 100 documents that need the same sentence changed in each one. The documents have the read-only recommended box checked. I ran a batch to remove the password to modify but it didn't remove the read-only recommend. So when I run a macro to change the text I get an error. When I ran Debug it highlighted "myDoc.Close Savechanges:=wdSaveChanges" but I don't know what to do with that. (I only copy the macros from this great site!) I am looking for a way to remove the read-only recommended from multiple documents in a file. Please help. Many th...

How to generate MS Word documents (CRM3.0)
�ste es un mensaje de varias partes en formato MIME. ------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C8A624.D4495BB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi: =20 We need Dynamics CRM generates MS Word documents merging CRM data and = static Word templates. As far as we know, there isn't a simple way to = have this functionality in place, so there are some third parties = selling such type of add-on. =20 Do you know any good product (and cheap) being capable to perform a mail = merge and generating Word documents? Note: Documents we need ...

clicking on email links is restricted by system?
All of a sudden if I try to clik on a link in a email, the system says it is restricted see your administrator? I have no Administrator. It always worked before? Feel free to read the countless posts here that have answered your question before you post yet another. Since you have failed in that endeavor, here is a special post just for you: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm -- Russ Valentine "Restricted clicking on email links" <Restricted clicking on email links@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BFDBA53-EBDE-49B0-B4F3-1EF...

Word 2004 crashes when editing document
Hello, I am using Word 2004 for OS X. Today, Word 2004 began crashing whenever I tried to edit a specific document. I downloaded the Office update (11.1, I think), and it still crashed. I removed Office, removed all preferences, re-installed Office and the update, and Word still crashes. Thank you in advance for your help. The error log follows: Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 1.0 Error Signature: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Date/Time: 2005-01-16 17:18:55 -0500 Application Name: Microsoft Word Application Version: 11.1.0.040910 Module Name: Microsoft_Drawing_2001Z Module Version: 11....

Right click in Outlook 2000 SR-1
The menu doesn't appear when right clicking on messages. There is no problem right clicking in any aother application or with the Windows 2000 OS. ...

Error 79 when printing SOME documents from Office
I am having a problem printing SOME documents from Office 2004 versions of Word, Entourage, and Excel. Here are the system details: Mac G5 1.6 MHz, 512 RAM, running Panther 10.3.4; Office 2004 Printer: HP Laserjet 5000, connected by ethernet using a 600N Jet Direct card. When printing some documents (particularly those created in older versions of Office and under System 9 on a G3) I get the error message 79.00FE PRINTER ERROR, which requires I restart the printer. These documents will NEVER print on this printer. This occasionally occurs in a few other applications, but mostly with Offi...

Four-colored Publisher Document converted to PDF & emailed.......
when opened by recipiant, i.e., lettering and subtitles in created in blue comes out as black. Is there any way to created a multi-colored Publisher document, convert doc to PDF, email, and yet have all colors retained in such a PDF file once emailed and opened? Great board for info! ReBell Sticks, MS Are you using Acrobat? What version Publisher? How to create a PDF file in Publisher http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302835/en-us Spot colors in EPS graphics distill incorrectly to Printer Definition File (PDF) as color separations in Publisher 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/8231...

Double-click on row-separator doesn't always correctly adjust row height
Our company often uses Excel v.2003 to generate table-like text reports. The cells often contain text that wraps to multiple lines. We also have merged cells at various locations. I often will double-click on the border between two row headers to make the row above auto-expand/collapse to make the row fit to the amount of wrapped text. However, there seem to be many situations where the row will collapse to only one row in height. It might have to do with merged cells (either in the row itself or somewhere else in the document). This seems to be a bug. Could you please tell me which s...

recently viewed documents
in excel 97, the recently viewed documents list does not show up even when the options are set to 9 How are you opening the workbooks? In xl97, you have to do File|Open for them to show up. They won't show up if you double click on them from Windows Explorer. Mark wrote: > > in excel 97, the recently viewed documents list does not > show up even when the options are set to 9 -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...