Converting VC6 Project to VS2005 - Warning Message

When opening a VC6 (MFC) project in VS2005 I get the following warning,

"The project 'MyAppp.dsp' must be converted to the current Visual C++
project format. After it has been converted, you will not be able to edit
this project in previous versions of Visual Studio. Convert and open the
project?"

This warning appears each time I open the project with VS2005, and contrary
to the warning I have found that I am indeed able to edit the project with
VC6.

I am hoping that someone can explain why this warning appears, why it
appears each time I open the project in VS2005, and if there may be some
caveats to be aware of while I maintain projects temporarily under both VC6
and VS2005 (eventually porting them to VS2005). In a previous related post,
David W. advised me to use separate output directories for VC6 and VS2005,
but this question relates more specifically to this warning message, and how
VS2005 maintains the project (which is why I am asking this question under a
new thread).

Thanks much.

0
AVee1 (18)
10/3/2008 12:31:01 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

AVee wrote:
> When opening a VC6 (MFC) project in VS2005 I get the following warning,
>
> "The project 'MyAppp.dsp' must be converted to the current Visual C++
> project format. After it has been converted, you will not be able to edit
> this project in previous versions of Visual Studio. Convert and open the
> project?"
>
> This warning appears each time I open the project with VS2005, and contrary
> to the warning I have found that I am indeed able to edit the project with
> VC6.
>
> I am hoping that someone can explain why this warning appears, why it
> appears each time I open the project in VS2005, and if there may be some
> caveats to be aware of while I maintain projects temporarily under both VC6
> and VS2005 (eventually porting them to VS2005). In a previous related post,
> David W. advised me to use separate output directories for VC6 and VS2005,
> but this question relates more specifically to this warning message, and how
> VS2005 maintains the project (which is why I am asking this question under a
> new thread).
>
> Thanks much.

Do you open the .dsw file with VC2008 every time you open the project?
VC2008 will create a .sln project file, and you can open it instead of .dsw.

0
Asmwarrior (75)
10/3/2008 1:00:14 AM
I had been opening the project from the start page, which apparently
defaulted to opening it with the .dsw file. Once I ignored the start page
and opened the project directly using File|Open|Project/Solution and
selected the .sln file, the start page opened it without the warning. Thanks
asm23.

As far as I can tell, V2005 doesn't write to the .dsp file at all, and
therefore does not make it unusable by previous versions of Visual Studio as
the warning suggests.

Am I correct, therefore, to conclude that the warning is incorrect by saying
you will not be able to edit the project in previous versions of Visual
Studio? Am I correct by saying  you CAN edit the project in VC6 (changing
the .dsp file), and use it with VS2005 as long as you subsequently open the
project with the .dsw file?

"asm23" <asmwarrior@gmail.com> wrote in message
> AVee wrote:
>> When opening a VC6 (MFC) project in VS2005 I get the following warning,
>>
>> "The project 'MyAppp.dsp' must be converted to the current Visual C++
>> project format. After it has been converted, you will not be able to edit
>> this project in previous versions of Visual Studio. Convert and open the
>> project?"
>>
>> This warning appears each time I open the project with VS2005, and
>> contrary to the warning I have found that I am indeed able to edit the
>> project with VC6.
>>
>> I am hoping that someone can explain why this warning appears, why it
>> appears each time I open the project in VS2005, and if there may be some
>> caveats to be aware of while I maintain projects temporarily under both
>> VC6 and VS2005 (eventually porting them to VS2005). In a previous related
>> post, David W. advised me to use separate output directories for VC6 and
>> VS2005, but this question relates more specifically to this warning
>> message, and how VS2005 maintains the project (which is why I am asking
>> this question under a new thread).
>>
>> Thanks much.
> Do you open the .dsw file with VC2008 every time you open the project?
> VC2008 will create a .sln project file, and you can open it instead of
> .dsw.

0
AVee1 (18)
10/3/2008 3:03:41 PM
"AVee" <AVee@community.nospam> wrote in message
> As far as I can tell, V2005 doesn't write to the .dsp file at all, and
> therefore does not make it unusable by previous versions of Visual Studio
> as the warning suggests.
>
> Am I correct, therefore, to conclude that the warning is incorrect by
> saying you will not be able to edit the project in previous versions of
> Visual Studio? Am I correct by saying  you CAN edit the project in VC6
> (changing the .dsp file), and use it with VS2005 as long as you
> subsequently open the project with the .dsw file?

There are many ways in which you could change a project in VC2005 that would
make it no longer compile in VC6.  It's not about the .dsp file, it's about
changes in the language (especially STL) and macros (message handlers and
related) and other tidbits such as the size of time variables. Time marches
on.  If a project is ongoing and active it is better to upgrade it before
proceeding.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
10/3/2008 4:02:21 PM
Thanks Scott.

Aside from portability issues at the source code level (such as changes in
language, macros and structures etc.) then, I understand from your response
(and presuming I take David's advise and use separate output directories)
that VS2005 does not introduce into the VC6's project maintenance files
anything that will interfere with VC6's ability to maintain a singular MFC
project? Would you consider this to be generally true?

"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <org-dot-mvps-at-scottmcp> wrote in message
> "AVee" <AVee@community.nospam> wrote in message
>> As far as I can tell, V2005 doesn't write to the .dsp file at all, and
>> therefore does not make it unusable by previous versions of Visual Studio
>> as the warning suggests.
>>
>> Am I correct, therefore, to conclude that the warning is incorrect by
>> saying you will not be able to edit the project in previous versions of
>> Visual Studio? Am I correct by saying  you CAN edit the project in VC6
>> (changing the .dsp file), and use it with VS2005 as long as you
>> subsequently open the project with the .dsw file?
>
> There are many ways in which you could change a project in VC2005 that
> would make it no longer compile in VC6.  It's not about the .dsp file,
> it's about changes in the language (especially STL) and macros (message
> handlers and related) and other tidbits such as the size of time
> variables. Time marches on.  If a project is ongoing and active it is
> better to upgrade it before proceeding.
>
> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
AVee1 (18)
10/3/2008 4:26:45 PM

AVee schrieb:
> Thanks Scott.
>
> Aside from portability issues at the source code level (such as changes in
> language, macros and structures etc.) then, I understand from your response
> (and presuming I take David's advise and use separate output directories)
> that VS2005 does not introduce into the VC6's project maintenance files
> anything that will interfere with VC6's ability to maintain a singular MFC
> project? Would you consider this to be generally true?

VS2005/2008 do not edit or write VS6 dsp/dsw files. They can only read and
convert them, they do not save anything to them. The old files remain untouched.

So it is theoretically possible to maintain both versions in parallel, but it is
a lot of handwork and you usually do not want it.

Norbert
0
nunterberg (207)
10/4/2008 12:00:46 PM
Thanks, Norbert. Admittedly, this warning had disuaded me from migrating
some large stable projects from VC6 to VS2005,  projects that  needed to be
maintained while source code portability issues were being addressed. Your
definitive answer is good news. Thanks again.

"Norbert Unterberg" <nunterberg@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message

> AVee schrieb:
>> Thanks Scott.
>>
>> Aside from portability issues at the source code level (such as changes
>> in language, macros and structures etc.) then, I understand from your
>> response (and presuming I take David's advise and use separate output
>> directories) that VS2005 does not introduce into the VC6's project
>> maintenance files anything that will interfere with VC6's ability to
>> maintain a singular MFC project? Would you consider this to be generally
>> true?
>
> VS2005/2008 do not edit or write VS6 dsp/dsw files. They can only read and
> convert them, they do not save anything to them. The old files remain
> untouched.
>
> So it is theoretically possible to maintain both versions in parallel, but
> it is a lot of handwork and you usually do not want it.
>
> Norbert

0
AVee1 (18)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Duplicate Messages #4
I've suddenly started receiving duplicate messages from one of the listservs to which I subscribe. I have rules set up on Outlook 2000 to send messages from the group to a particular folder. Now one copy goes there and a second copy turns up in my general Inbox. Other subscribers are not receiving doubles, so the problem seems to be at my end. Any idea what could cause this? ...

help updating dialog box with status message
Hi all, I am new to C and having problems understanding the documentation : ( I have been using Visual Basic 6 and before that cobol and rpg. I have visual studio 6 so thats the C++ I am using. I have a project that was created as an MFC exe program dialog type. I have it all working , user selects filename and data is extracted from the selected file to a listbox. I use a static text box to put out a "processing complete" message at the end. I would like to put out a status message at various stages of processing the file since it can take up to 5 minutes on large files . How...

Disable preview pane for message folders?
Hi, In Outlook express I can disable the Preview Pane for any message folder so I can "look inside" a message in- non-html format-by rt. clicking and , then Properties>Details>Message Source.Now in Outlook XP (Win 2000), I can disable the Preview Panes, but I can't "look inside" messages like I do in Outlook Express (6). I can only read it or delete it. Is this a limitation of Outlook and is there a fix? I'm concerned, because some new viruses activate on Preview alone.Thanks. Peter Cowie PS I have the latest Office XP patches. I use the Chilton Preview P...

"Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem..." Message Window
I frequently have the message window shown below pop up while I'm on the computer. "Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" It can happen whether or not the Outlook application is open. If the app is open and I click "Close" the app may or may not close. I have gone through the "Detect and Repair..." process on the Help menu, but the message continues to appear. I have looked at the "...more information about..." offered in the message window, but am not competent to interpret the i...

Project Accounting Documents
My client will be using Project Accounting to accumulate costs associated with a job (product, consulting fees, expenses) and then bill the costs to their client at a profit. They will make a product and then transfer it to the project to be billed. This product ships out to the client, so a Packing Slip is needed. Also, a Sales Order Confirmation is needed. I believe I can use the Quote for the Sales Order Confirmation, but it does not have shipping information on it (Ship to, Requested Ship Date, Shipping Method, etc.). The Packing Slip seems non-existent. Has anyone else had th...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

OutLook 2003 SP1
Dear all, I've a problem with my medium-sized PST (1.1Gb, local hard drive). When I try to move message from this PST to another local PST (old_messages_04) I got this error message: "Can't move the items. The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access was denied". ScanDisk corrected some issue on PST files, and I already ran SCANPST.exe, but I got the same error. Could you help me? Did you've any site/links to follow? I altrady tried to look for help on internet unsuccesfully. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance ...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Viewing project assignment post-SP2 update
After installing SP2, I no longer see the color-coded dots on calendar views indicating project assignment for events. The text of the event is still indented, as though the dot is invisibly there occupying space, and the project assignment still exists when the event is opened, but simply can't be seen from the calendar. Anyone else with this issue? Suggestions for a fix? I sort of liked/relied upon viewing project assignments in this way. Thx. Brian I had exactly the same problem, Brian Any news on a fix? Mike Brian D. Riedel wrote: > After installing SP2, I no longer see t...

Your message was deleted without being read.
This option was available with exchange 5.5 and earlier outlook clients. Today, we are running exchange 2003 ee server along with outlook 2002 clients. Is there any way to tell if a global message is being deleted by users without being read without turing on the "read receipt" in tracking options? All I want to do is tell which users are deleting the messages internally. Thanks. mike No. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx &qu...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Dose SetWindowText() cause WM_PAINT message?
hi, all SetWindowText() will send WM_SETTEXT. It seems no WM_PAINT message follows. I have a class, like CMyStatic: public CStatic ......... OnPaint() ........ When I call myStaic.SetWindowText(....). OnPaint() is not called. The text is changed, but I also want to change some background,color,font ..... Does anyone know why? Thanks "Nicky" <Nicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27D54057-AF3B-4081-B4FC-FEF2ACBF4E0D@microsoft.com... > hi, all > > SetWindowText() will send WM_SETTEXT. It seems no WM_PAINT message follows. > I have a class, like &...

2003: Desktop alerts on IMAP messages?
Sometimes I think I'm dating an airhead, because everytime I go out with Microsoft, she looks more beautiful than ever, but at heart she's still a bubble- gum chewing ditz. So it is with Outlook 2003 My work email uses an IMAP server, but Outlook won't let me get desktop alerts on my IMAP folder. It says that it can only do this for the default inbox (and I can't get my IMAP folder to become the default inbox). So, I've been ignoring the default inbox and using the IMAP folder without alerts. I can change the freaking transparency of the alerts, but I can't...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Unread Messages #7
Every year, my outlook goes nuts and all my folders in my favorites folders disappear and are replaced with archived files. I have to reorganize it. I have done so again but I used to have a file for unread messages but I can't find it. I thought it might be in the search folders in the "all mail folders" but it's not there. This is a really handy folder that I use often. Can someone tell me how to relocate it? Thanks. File-> New-> Search Folder -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ ...

Downloading messages
Running OL2003 SP1 (sans French grammar checker) with pst file about 1GB. Had an old POP3 account that I needed to retrieve messages on, but unfortunately that POP3 also contained 400 messages, all spam but for 20. I really needed just 20 messages from this mailbox, so setup profile to download messages. The "Leave messages on the Server" was NOT ticked. After several hours of downloads, the same messages were being received over and over, but the dates and times changed, it looked as if the messages were never ending! The dates and times were from a few months back. When I re...

Convert

Cannot send messages
I have FIOS and Earthlink. Right now the Windows Live mail is set up for Earthlink DSL, but I can't send out messages. Do I need to change the outgoing mail to FIOS, even though the incoming mail is earthlink? Can I do that OK. (I know it is strange to have both, but the Earthlink account has some business contacts that won't switch easily. ) ...

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Numbers converting to decimal