Converting an MFC 6.0 App to .net problem

I have recompiled an existing MFC 6.0 application in VS .net 2003.  Now about
every 13th time I run it in debug mode I get a "Unhandled exception at
0x7c901230" error.  When I run it using the WinDbg program I get:
DBGHELP: ntdll.pdb - file not found
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for
ntdll.dll -
DBGHELP: ntdll - export symbols
ntdll!DbgBreakPoint:
7c901230 cc               int     3

When I run a release version of the application everything runs fine.

Any Ideas?

Larry
0
ldb5150 (1)
7/14/2005 12:13:02 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The information you posted regarding symbol files is irrelevant to your problem; it relates only to
the inability of WinDbg to give you complete debugging information for the module when stopping at a
breakpoint.

Your problem, as I understand you, is that in the debug build only, it occasionally encounters an
exception that is unhandled.  The possibilities for why this is happening are very numerous, so it
would help greatly if you could tell us more about what's in the call stack at the time of the
exception, and any other clues you can gather.

"ldb_5150" <ldb5150@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recompiled an existing MFC 6.0 application in VS .net 2003.  Now about
> every 13th time I run it in debug mode I get a "Unhandled exception at
> 0x7c901230" error.  When I run it using the WinDbg program I get:
> DBGHELP: ntdll.pdb - file not found
> *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for
> ntdll.dll -
> DBGHELP: ntdll - export symbols
> ntdll!DbgBreakPoint:
> 7c901230 cc               int     3
>
> When I run a release version of the application everything runs fine.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Larry

0
ScotB (233)
7/14/2005 6:40:59 PM
Any help would be appreciated!

When I get the error  it stops leaving the curser on  line 212 of malloc.c.
The call stack from VS .net when I get the error:
 	ntdll.dll!7c901230()
 	ntdll.dll!7c96c943()
 	ntdll.dll!7c949eb9()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b5f4()
 	ntdll.dll!7c94a1f5()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b5f4()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	user32.dll!77d4d074()
 	user32.dll!77d4885a()
 	ntdll.dll!7c94a1f5()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b5f4()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	ntdll.dll!7c94a1f5()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b5f4()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	ntdll.dll!7c90d4ea()
 	ntdll.dll!7c9180ff()
 	ntdll.dll!7c911bff()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91825d()
 	ntdll.dll!7c94a1f5()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	ntdll.dll!7c96d6aa()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	ntdll.dll!7c949d18()
 	ntdll.dll!7c9102ed()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	ntdll.dll!7c96d8a2()
 	ntdll.dll!7c96cde9()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	ntdll.dll!7c96d8a2()
 	ntdll.dll!7c96d886()
 	ntdll.dll!7c96d886()
 	ntdll.dll!7c949d18()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	ntdll.dll!7c949d18()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	ntdll.dll!7c9106eb()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b298()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	ntdll.dll!7c949b34()
 	ntdll.dll!7c949b34()
 	ntdll.dll!7c926a44()
 	ntdll.dll!7c926abe()
 	ntdll.dll!7c96cde9()
 	ntdll.dll!7c926abe()
 	ntdll.dll!7c96cde9()
 	ntdll.dll!7c96e0d4()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b686()
 	ntdll.dll!7c91b298()
 	ntdll.dll!7c9106eb()
 	ntdll.dll!7c926abe()
>	msvcr71d.dll!_heap_alloc_base(unsigned int size=57)  Line 212	C
 	msvcr71d.dll!_heap_alloc_dbg(unsigned int nSize=21, int nBlockUse=1, const
char * szFileName=0x00000000, int nLine=0)  Line 397 + 0x9	C
 	msvcr71d.dll!_nh_malloc_dbg(unsigned int nSize=21, int nhFlag=0, int
nBlockUse=1, const char * szFileName=0x00000000, int nLine=0)  Line 260 +
0x15	C
 	msvcr71d.dll!malloc(unsigned int nSize=21)  Line 139 + 0x15	C
 	mfc71d.dll!CAfxStringMgr::Allocate(int nChars=4, int nCharSize=1)  Line
141 + 0xa	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!ATL::CSimpleStringT<char,1>::Fork(int nLength=4)  Line 718 +
0x22	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!ATL::CSimpleStringT<char,1>::PrepareWrite2(int nLength=4)  Line
756	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!ATL::CSimpleStringT<char,1>::PrepareWrite(int nLength=4)  Line
743	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!ATL::CSimpleStringT<char,1>::Preallocate(int nLength=4)  Line
491	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!ATL::CSimpleStringT<char,1>::SetString(const char *
pszSrc=0x0047bfa0, int nLength=4)  Line 604 + 0xc	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!ATL::CSimpleStringT<char,1>::SetString(const char *
pszSrc=0x0047bfa0)  Line 581	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!ATL::CSimpleStringT<char,1>::operator=(const char *
pszSrc=0x0047bfa0)  Line 318	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!ATL::CStringT<char,StrTraitMFC_DLL<char,ATL::ChTraitsCRT<char>
> >::operator=(const char * pszSrc=0x0047bfa0)  Line 985	C++
 	fseries.exe!LASER_THREAD::LASER_THREAD(CHTIEventRecorder *
p_EventRecorder=0x00bd7040)  Line 53 + 0x18	C++
 	fseries.exe!CFseriesDlg::OnInitDialog()  Line 256 + 0x46	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!AfxDlgProc(HWND__ * hWnd=0x00151012, unsigned int message=272,
unsigned int __formal=1576980, unsigned int __formal=1576980)  Line 31 +
0xe	C++
 	user32.dll!77d48734()
 	user32.dll!77d545e4()
 	user32.dll!77d53fd9()
 	user32.dll!77d6e54f()
 	user32.dll!77d484fc()
 	user32.dll!77d485a4()
 	user32.dll!77d6e571()
 	user32.dll!77d48734()
 	user32.dll!77d6e54f()
 	user32.dll!77d6e54f()
 	user32.dll!77d48816()
 	user32.dll!77d6e54f()
 	user32.dll!77d6e54f()
 	user32.dll!77d4c63f()
 	user32.dll!77d6e54f()
 	user32.dll!77d4e905()
 	user32.dll!77d6e54f()
 	mfc71d.dll!CWnd::DefWindowProcA(unsigned int nMsg=1242376, unsigned int
wParam=2082654585, long lParam=272)  Line 1024 + 0x20	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!CThreadLocal<_AFX_THREAD_STATE>::GetData()  Line 177 + 0xd	C++
 	00000001()
 	user32.dll!77d6e54f()
 	msvcr71d.dll!_nh_malloc_dbg(unsigned int nSize=0, int nhFlag=0, int
nBlockUse=0, const char * szFileName=0x00000000, int nLine=2081697396)  Line
260 + 0x27	C
 	user32.dll!77d6b00e()
 	user32.dll!77d6b00e()
 	user32.dll!77d6b00e()
 	user32.dll!77d6b00e()
 	user32.dll!77d6b00e()
 	user32.dll!77d6b00e()
 	user32.dll!77d6b00e()
 	user32.dll!77d6b00e()
 	user32.dll!77d6b00e()
 	advapi32.dll!77dd6bcc()
 	advapi32.dll!77dd6c74()
 	mfc71d.dll!CWinApp::LoadSysPolicies()  Line 367	C++
 	mfc71d.dll!AfxWinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance=0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ *
hPrevInstance=0x00000000, char * lpCmdLine=0x00141f0e, int nCmdShow=5)  Line
39 + 0xb	C++
 	fseries.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance=0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ *
hPrevInstance=0x00000000, char * lpCmdLine=0x00141f0e, int nCmdShow=5)  Line
25	C++
 	fseries.exe!WinMainCRTStartup()  Line 390 + 0x39	C
 	kernel32.dll!7c816d4f()
 	kernel32.dll!7c8399f3()

0
Larry1461 (99)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

console use of GUI app?
Hi, trying to extend an MFC GUI app so that it can be given some command line parameters and will then run in "quiet" mode, without displaying the GUI. Up to here it works fine. The problem is that when the app is launched e.g. from a cmd.exe console, the console doesn't wait for the app to finish. Which also means the cmd.exe console won't display the text written by the app to cout or stdout. Any ideas on how to 'correct' this? thanks! - Jan No surprises here. This is how Windows is defined to work. A console app writes to a console, a GUI app doesn't ha...

CRM 4.0 Database Move/Migration issue
Hi, I have a test CRM 4.0 enrivonment that I've built up and being evaluating and also migrating data to from our previous CRM database. I have now installed our production CRM 4.0 environment and created a new organisation. This blank installation worked fine. I then wanted to migrate the data from our test environment into the live environment. So I thought I'd try the Data Migration tool from Microsoft. This didn't work. It just pointed the entry in the MSCRM_Config.organization record to the content database on the test server. So, I tried backing up the 2 databases from ...

Convert text to time value

Problem installing Vista SP2
I am having a problem installing Vista SP2 on a laptop. The laptop is an HP with Vista Home Premium SP1 originally installed. When I try to install SP2, (either from Microsoft Update or downloaded manually), I get the message that SP1 is not installed. However, it IS installed. I have run CheckSUR, checked for Malware, disabled anti-virus programs, booted with a selective startup, all to no avail. Help! Hi, there is a known issue where SP2 isn't offered in windows update unless every post SP1 update important or otherwise has been installed. This doesn't ...

how to convert date

"Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem..." Message Window
I frequently have the message window shown below pop up while I'm on the computer. "Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" It can happen whether or not the Outlook application is open. If the app is open and I click "Close" the app may or may not close. I have gone through the "Detect and Repair..." process on the Help menu, but the message continues to appear. I have looked at the "...more information about..." offered in the message window, but am not competent to interpret the i...

Personal Folder #6
This is Outlook 2000-When trying to move files from inbox to personal folders user gets an error and the action does not complete. all setting appear to be correct and there is also no visible security issue. error messages: item could not be moved. it has either already been moved or access has been denied. Check the size of the personal folder. It may be full and you may need to create a new folder or delete from the original. "Troy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1febe01c4588d$31e41240$a101280a@phx.gbl... > This is Outlook 2000-When...

RMS HQ 2.0 maximum stores connected
Hi all, Is there a case study where over 100 RMS 2.0 Store operations + RMS 2.0 HQ running ? With a central 1 HQ Server running in our Head Office and with plans rollout RMS 2.0 store operation for approx 100 store operations for the next 2 years. We rasied a concern on how the HQ Server can effectively communicate to all stores with HQ Access, even if it runs 24/7. Will the HQ Server 2.0 allow multiple communications server such that 1 communications server in the HQ is mapped to say, 20 stores on the store side, but communicates to a single HQ 2.0 Server? Most branches will run...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

MFG 8.0 Error
I recently upgraded from ver 7.5 to 8.0 on our test server, but now I'm getting the error: "A count records operation on table MFGxxxList failed accessing SQL data" whenever I select any of the Manufacturing Lists. xxx represents the specific view e.g. MFGBOMList I think this may be a bug as when I try to view the records of the view MFGBOMList (BOMV1000) I get the same error as when I drill into the details. Has anyone else experienced this error and found solution? A problem has been identified in environments with more languages than en-us installed. This issue ...

USB Issue with WinXP?
I have a bit of a problem with WinXP telling me that one of my USB devices would operate faster if it was connected to a Hi-Speed USB 2 port. But it does not ID the device in question. How do I figure out which device it is referring to? It does not happen all the time, maybe once or twice a day, so it's hard to pin-point. I've attached screen copies of the messages, if that will help ID the source. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Charliec From: <charliec@email.com> | I have a bit of a problem with WinXP telling me that one of my USB | devices would ope...

Outlook problem after OS reinstall
I have just completed an XP pro reinstall. I then installed BitDefender IS - my old install had AVG9. I then copy/pasted my saved outlook and archive .pst files into my new install at - C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data \Microsoft\Outlook Now when I start up Outlook it starts with an error because it cannot find avgxch32.dll! I just click to ignore and I Outlook runs OK Can anyone advise me how to resolve this issue and stop Outlook looking for this AVG file? Remove it from your Add Ins. <craigmill@sky.com> wrote in message new...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Jeff Prosise Programming Windows with MFC
Hello. Does anyone have the CD for Programming windows with MFC by jeff prosise? I bought used book and it didn't come with the CD. Any kind people out there who can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I can send u a blank cd and some cash to send back or paypal or anything. thanks!! ...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

CRM 3.0
Hello all! I have a strange problem that's probably easy to solve but I'm missing some vital details. I have a Win Svr 2k3 machine with MS CRM 3.0 installed. The SQL Server and Reportig Server are installed on another physical server. Everything works fine but for one detail: when I try to access Reports (no matter what user is logged in), I get an error message: "A error has occured. For more information, contact your system administrator." It happens on every workstation. However, if I load CRM into browser locally, on the server the MS CRM is installed on, Report...

OnShowPopupMenu in MFC Feature Pack
Hi, Using an Office 2007 style based on the new MFC Feature Pack, I am trying to customize a popup menu displayed on a toolbar button. I am using CMainFrame::OnShowPopupMenu for this, but there is no change at all on the menu. I tried to add items : pMenuPopup->InsertItem ( CMFCToolBarMenuButton(100, NULL, -1, _T("test")) , -1); I tried to remove all items from the default menu : pMenuPopup->RemoveAllItems(); I tried to remove an item from the default menu : pMenuPopup->RemoveItem(); I tried to import a menu : pMenuPopup->GetMenuBar ()->ImportFromMenu (*p...

Need help with this problem
Hello, I need a hand with the following problem as I have not used Excel fo quite a while. --------There are 4 categories of goods - A,B,C,D --------Each category has 100 goods/supplies that range in price fro $4.00 -$26.00(cents are inclusive: ie - one particular item in categor A costs $15.41) --------A certain # of goods must be chosen from each category a follows: A - 3 B - 4 C - 3 D - ONLY 1 ITEM IS NEEDED FROM THIS CATEGORY. HERE IS THE TRICKY PART: A buyer must select the exact number of goods required from eac category and the total cost of all 11 chosen goods cannot exceed $100.0...

Publisher v2.0 #2
I have an old HP PC (Windows 98) and trying to save old Publisher v2.0 documents (kids school work,etc.) prior to getting rid of the computer. Was able to save files to a CD. Installed Publisher 2007 to my new HP (Windows Vista). When I try to open the saved files on the new PC, I get "unable to open files because created with an older version no longer supported (or something like that.) What can I do to open the files in my new computer? Still have the installation discs for Publisher v2.0, but my new computer does not have a floppy disc drive. What can I do? Thanks. "...

outlook express 6 (no pics in outgoing mail)
I have outlook express 6. I used to have no problem sending pictures in email. Recently, they simply won't go. I have checked all the settings, at least the ones I know of, to no avail. I've gone to the HTML setting and set it to "send pictures". I still, however, get only a box with the picture name on all outgoing mail. Incoming has all pictures as they should be and I can send .jpg's as attachments. Nothing included in the body of the mail works. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! "bill a" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Formulas #6
I have a problem right here. When I want to create an individual list (Sheet2) from the master data list (sheet1), the link does not follow in accordance to the master list after I copy & paste in Sheet2. If the individual list's range(Sheet2) is (A4:M49), (A50:M95), (A96:M141)...almost 100 of if, and the linkage is as below: Sheet1 Link to Sheet2 (Master) (Individual) A4 - F5 B4 - D8 C4 - E8 A5 - M5 B5 ...