Combo box getting hidden

I have a problem with the same CView class I asked about the other day...

Its a CView class with an extensive OnDraw method (Gantt-based resource
CButton, a CStatic text (my font problem the other day) and a CComboBox. I
also have a horizontal and vertical CScrollBar. These controls are class
members (no resource associated) and are all .Create() in my ::Create
method. Following an OnDraw(), everything is drawn properly, except my combo
box. I assume it is a z-order problem, but I don't know how to bring it
forward again, or just manually call a redraw method on the control at the
end of my OnDraw.

I've tried a ShowWindow with SW_HIDE, followed by a SW_SHOW. I've tried
ActivateWindow. I've tried SetPosition, but the version of the method in the
MSDN has a different set of parameters and the second parameter in the MSDN
(insertAfter) doesn't exist in the method for CComboBox.

Its late and I'm tired again, so this is probably obvious, but Help!

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>Following an OnDraw(), everything is drawn properly, except my combo
>box.

What's wrong with it?

>I assume it is a z-order problem

Why?

Have you checked the z-order of the control using Spy++? The z-order
is just the order the controls are listed under their parent in Spy++.

The z-order can be changed by using SetWindowPos.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
5/21/2007 9:57:18 PM
"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message
> >Following an OnDraw(), everything is drawn properly, except my combo
>>box.
>
> What's wrong with it?

Well, everything is drawn properly (my own lines/ boxes and the CButtons
etc), except my combo box - its just a white box so I can't see it!

>>I assume it is a z-order problem
>
> Why?

I thought it is possibly being drawn before I draw the rest of the screen,
therefore it is behind something else

> Have you checked the z-order of the control using Spy++? The z-order
> is just the order the controls are listed under their parent in Spy++.
>
> The z-order can be changed by using SetWindowPos.

And like I said in my original question, the CComboBox ::SetWindowPos()
method is not the same parameter list as the main SetWindowPos method in the
MSDN - the second parameter (in the MSDN) is how to change the Z-order and
this is the parameter missing from the CComboBox::SetWindowPos() method!

see below...

On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:44:52 +0100, "GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> >Following an OnDraw(), everything is drawn properly, except my combo
>>>box.
>>
>> What's wrong with it?
>
>Well, everything is drawn properly (my own lines/ boxes and the CButtons
>etc), except my combo box - its just a white box so I can't see it!
>
>>>I assume it is a z-order problem
>>
>> Why?
>
>I thought it is possibly being drawn before I draw the rest of the screen,
>therefore it is behind something else
>
>> Have you checked the z-order of the control using Spy++? The z-order
>> is just the order the controls are listed under their parent in Spy++.
>>
>> The z-order can be changed by using SetWindowPos.
>
>And like I said in my original question, the CComboBox ::SetWindowPos()
>method is not the same parameter list as the main SetWindowPos method in the
>MSDN - the second parameter (in the MSDN) is how to change the Z-order and
>this is the parameter missing from the CComboBox::SetWindowPos() method!

Hmm...CComboBox::SetWindowPos does not exist; it derives directly from CWnd::SetWindowPos.
It is not the second parameter to CWnd::SetWindowPos that determines the z-order, but the
first parameter.  It is the second parameter of ::SetWindowPos (the raw API call) but that
is not relevant here.  So what are you talking about?

The parameters to CWnd::SetWindowPos are
	(const CWnd * pInsertAfter, int x, int y, int cx, int cy, UINT flags)
so I have no idea why you would think the x-coordinate had anything to do with the
Z-order.

					joe
*****

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
> see below...
>
> On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:44:52 +0100, "GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> What's wrong with it?
>>
>>Well, everything is drawn properly (my own lines/ boxes and the CButtons
>>etc), except my combo box - its just a white box so I can't see it!

>>> Why?
>>
>>I thought it is possibly being drawn before I draw the rest of the screen,
>>therefore it is behind something else
>>
>>> Have you checked the z-order of the control using Spy++? The z-order
>>> is just the order the controls are listed under their parent in Spy++.
>>>
>>> The z-order can be changed by using SetWindowPos.
>>
>>And like I said in my original question, the CComboBox ::SetWindowPos()
>>method is not the same parameter list as the main SetWindowPos method in
>>the
>>MSDN - the second parameter (in the MSDN) is how to change the Z-order and
>>this is the parameter missing from the CComboBox::SetWindowPos() method!
>
> Hmm...CComboBox::SetWindowPos does not exist; it derives directly from
> CWnd::SetWindowPos.
> It is not the second parameter to CWnd::SetWindowPos that determines the
> z-order, but the
> first parameter.  It is the second parameter of ::SetWindowPos (the raw
> API call) but that
> is not relevant here.  So what are you talking about?
>
> The parameters to CWnd::SetWindowPos are
> (const CWnd * pInsertAfter, int x, int y, int cx, int cy, UINT flags)
> so I have no idea why you would think the x-coordinate had anything to do
> with the
> Z-order.

You've got the wrong end of the stick. Clearly I didn't think the x
coordinate has anything to do with the z-order. The second parameter in
SetWindowPos according to the MSDN is 'hWndInsertAfter'. I looked up
SetWindowPos in the MSDN and arrived at this page entitled "SetWindowPos
Funtion":

The second parameter here is 'hWndInsertAfter'. The x coordinate is the 3rd
parameter. The 'hWndInsertAfter' can be set to HWND_TOP (amongst other
things). However, when I tried to use this method on my control the compiler
told me that I had the wrong number of parameters and the intellisense
clearly showed that the second parameter of the MSDN's SetWindowPos
('hWndInsertAfter') was not there for CScrollBar, but in fact the parameter
list is as you have quoted above, hence my confusion - 2 methods with the
same name, but different parameter lists and the parameter I need to use
isn't available in the CComboBox::SetWindowPos! If the 'hWndInsertAfter'
parameter is not there, then how do I set it?. I tried using HWND_TOP as my
first parameter and the compiler said it couldn't convert from "HWND" to
"Const Wnd *". At this point, I went to bed!

See below...
On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:56:00 +0100, "GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> see below...
>>
>> On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:44:52 +0100, "GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message

>>>Well, everything is drawn properly (my own lines/ boxes and the CButtons
>>>etc), except my combo box - its just a white box so I can't see it!

>>>I thought it is possibly being drawn before I draw the rest of the screen,
>>>therefore it is behind something else

>>>And like I said in my original question, the CComboBox ::SetWindowPos()
>>>method is not the same parameter list as the main SetWindowPos method in
>>>the
>>>MSDN - the second parameter (in the MSDN) is how to change the Z-order and
>>>this is the parameter missing from the CComboBox::SetWindowPos() method!
>>
>> Hmm...CComboBox::SetWindowPos does not exist; it derives directly from
>> CWnd::SetWindowPos.
>> It is not the second parameter to CWnd::SetWindowPos that determines the
>> z-order, but the
>> first parameter.  It is the second parameter of ::SetWindowPos (the raw
>> API call) but that
>> is not relevant here.  So what are you talking about?
>>
>> The parameters to CWnd::SetWindowPos are
>> (const CWnd * pInsertAfter, int x, int y, int cx, int cy, UINT flags)
>> so I have no idea why you would think the x-coordinate had anything to do
>> with the
>> Z-order.
>
>You've got the wrong end of the stick. Clearly I didn't think the x
>coordinate has anything to do with the z-order.
*****
But you clearly said
>>> the second parameter (in the MSDN) is how to change the Z-order and
>>>this is the parameter missing from the CComboBox::SetWindowPos() method!
which is patently untrue.  My MSDN clearly states that the FIRST parameter to the
CWnd::SetWindowPos method is used to set the Z-order for the SetWindowPos method; I see no
reason I would ever want to use the ::SetWindowPos API.  And if you had read the
documentation, you would have clearly seen that this is true.  It is clearly NOT missing
from the CComboBox::SetWindowPos (which is CWnd::SetWindowPos).

API:   ::SetWindowPos(HWND hWnd, HWND hInsertAfter, int x, int y, int cx, int cy, UINT
flags)
MFC: CWnd::SetWindowPos (const CWnd * pInsertAfter, int x, int y, int cx, int cy, UINT
flags)

Just looking at the names alone makes it evident that in MFC it is the first parameter.

Note that when you are talking about calls, you must distinguish if you are talking about
raw API calls or MFC methods, and since you were talking about CComboBox::SetWindowPos, it
seemed obvious from context that you were comparing it to  CWnd::SetWindowPos.  Otherwise,
you would have explicitly said "::SetWindowPos" or "the SetWindowPos API".
****
>The second parameter in
>SetWindowPos according to the MSDN is 'hWndInsertAfter'. I looked up
>SetWindowPos in the MSDN and arrived at this page entitled "SetWindowPos
>Funtion":
>
>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms633545.aspx
****
But the problem is you are talking about the SetWindowPos API, which in programming MFC
would be irrelevant.  So why didn't you look up the SetWindowPos *method*?
*****

>The second parameter here is 'hWndInsertAfter'. The x coordinate is the 3rd
>parameter. The 'hWndInsertAfter' can be set to HWND_TOP (amongst other
>things). However, when I tried to use this method on my control the compiler
>told me that I had the wrong number of parameters and the intellisense
>clearly showed that the second parameter of the MSDN's SetWindowPos
>('hWndInsertAfter') was not there for CScrollBar, but in fact the parameter
>list is as you have quoted above, hence my confusion - 2 methods with the
>same name, but different parameter lists and the parameter I need to use
>isn't available in the CComboBox::SetWindowPos! If the 'hWndInsertAfter'
>parameter is not there, then how do I set it?. I tried using HWND_TOP as my
>first parameter and the compiler said it couldn't convert from "HWND" to
>"Const Wnd *". At this point, I went to bed!
****
Reading the documentation is usually a good start.  OF COURSE Intellisense told ;you that
there were not two window parameters, because it was doing the correct thing, as the
compiler did, of referencing the MFC method of the CWnd class.  Most API calls have MFC
methods of the same name.  Had you actually looked at the documentation, this would have
been obvious.  But you did not look at the "SetWindowPos method", which is what you should
have looked at when using MFC.  So what was missing was the explicit first parameter which
defined the window whose position was being set, which in MFC is the m_hWnd member of the
CWnd-derived class.
				joe
*****

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
5/22/2007 4:14:02 PM
GT wrote:
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>> see below...
>>
>> On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:44:52 +0100, "GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Well, everything is drawn properly (my own lines/ boxes and the CButtons
>>> etc), except my combo box - its just a white box so I can't see it!

>>> I thought it is possibly being drawn before I draw the rest of the screen,
>>> therefore it is behind something else

>>> And like I said in my original question, the CComboBox ::SetWindowPos()
>>> method is not the same parameter list as the main SetWindowPos method in
>>> the
>>> MSDN - the second parameter (in the MSDN) is how to change the Z-order and
>>> this is the parameter missing from the CComboBox::SetWindowPos() method!
>> Hmm...CComboBox::SetWindowPos does not exist; it derives directly from
>> CWnd::SetWindowPos.
>> It is not the second parameter to CWnd::SetWindowPos that determines the
>> z-order, but the
>> first parameter.  It is the second parameter of ::SetWindowPos (the raw
>> API call) but that
>> is not relevant here.  So what are you talking about?
>>
>> The parameters to CWnd::SetWindowPos are
>> (const CWnd * pInsertAfter, int x, int y, int cx, int cy, UINT flags)
>> so I have no idea why you would think the x-coordinate had anything to do
>> with the
>> Z-order.
>
> You've got the wrong end of the stick. Clearly I didn't think the x
> coordinate has anything to do with the z-order. The second parameter in
> SetWindowPos according to the MSDN is 'hWndInsertAfter'. I looked up
> SetWindowPos in the MSDN and arrived at this page entitled "SetWindowPos
> Funtion":

> The second parameter here is 'hWndInsertAfter'. The x coordinate is the 3rd
> parameter. The 'hWndInsertAfter' can be set to HWND_TOP (amongst other
> things). However, when I tried to use this method on my control the compiler
> told me that I had the wrong number of parameters and the intellisense
> clearly showed that the second parameter of the MSDN's SetWindowPos
> ('hWndInsertAfter') was not there for CScrollBar, but in fact the parameter
> list is as you have quoted above, hence my confusion - 2 methods with the
> same name, but different parameter lists and the parameter I need to use
> isn't available in the CComboBox::SetWindowPos! If the 'hWndInsertAfter'
> parameter is not there, then how do I set it?. I tried using HWND_TOP as my
> first parameter and the compiler said it couldn't convert from "HWND" to
> "Const Wnd *". At this point, I went to bed!

GT:

It is MFC 101 that most Windows API functions that take HWND as the
first parameter have a corresponding CWnd method with the same name with
the first parameter removed. If you use this name, unqualified, from a
CWnd method, then you are calling the CWnd method. To get the API
function you would need to do, for example, ::SetWindowsPos(...). The
compiler will not use your arguments to conclude that you wanted the API
function; rather it will tell you that you have the wrong number of
arguments for the method

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP

OK, so I have my dunces hat on, but you have taken pages of text to tell me
off for referring to the wrong version of the SetWindowPos method, but you
haven't actually offered me any help, other than saying "read the
documentation"!! Why didn't you just say that in 1 line!

Now that I have found the right page in the MSDN for SetWindowPos, I find
that it doesn't actually solve the problem anyway, so all this telling off
was for nothing!!

I did say in my original post that I "assume" that z-order is the problem,
however "m_cmbResource.SetWindowPos(&wndTop, etc" still leaves me with a
white / invisible combo box, for most of the time. So something else must be
the problem. As well as SetWindowPos, I've tried a ShowWindow with SW_HIDE,
followed by a SW_SHOW. I've tried ActivateWindow(). Any other ideas anyone?

>Well, everything is drawn properly (my own lines/ boxes and the CButtons
>etc), except my combo box - its just a white box so I can't see it!

On the face of it that doesn't sound (appear) like a z-order problem.
If it were an SDK application I'd assume it was due to incorrect
message processing somewhere. I'm not sure how you'd easily get that
sort of error with MFC though.

I didn't see you mention if you'd checked the z-order...
>> Have you checked the z-order of the control using Spy++? The z-order
>> is just the order the controls are listed under their parent in Spy++.

Have you?

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
5/22/2007 11:17:43 PM
There are things you need to understand about MFC before you start, and nearly every book
about MFC explains these things.  One of them is that most methods of wrapper classes have
the same names as the API calls.  I knew this the first day I wrote an MFC program, and I
didn't have a book, just the Microsoft documentation and the Scribble tutorial.  You can't
just sit down and start randomly writing code without doing SOME study, and one of the
very first things you have to study is the CWnd class because it is so important.  The
next one to study is the CDC class.  You spend the first few days just reading the methods
in these classes.  Then it is obvious.

The answer is indeed obvious.  If you know how to use the API, you know how to use the MFC
method.  The only thing you glean from the documentation is that instead of using the HWND
value HWND_TOPMOST, for example, you use the CWnd* value &hwndTopMost.

There are disciplines of learning technology that you need to apply, and that's what I was
really yelling at you for.  You did not apply good study methods to learning a new system.
When I learned windows, I spent a couple weeks just reading manuals, so by the time I sat
down to write my first program, I had absorbed a massive amount of the culture of Windows.
After that, it was just looking things up.  I read the Windows manuals at night,
alphabetically by API name, to see what each API did.

When I learned MFC, it took me considerably less than a day to learn about the naming
conventions for the methods.  It was in the introductory documentation, somewhere near the
front!  I just started doing the Scribble tutorial and learned enough MFC in three days to
deliver a prototype to my customer in two weeks.

You DON'T sit down and start typing code.  It is a bad way to develop software, and it is
a bad way to learn.

Today, I STILL sit down with something in the manual and read all about it before I start
coding.  I read the entire debug interface two weeks ago.  Spent a whole day just reading
it.  When I sat down to write my code, it came up almost immediately, except for one
glitch that seems to be due to inadequate documentation.  But you sound like you just sat
down and started typing, without taking time to understand even the superficial aspects of
what is going on in MFC, such as the methods of CWnd and CDC.  Otherwise, the error you
reported would have not been made.

There are deep issues about MFC, and these take a lot of explanation, but you are expected
to know how to use the documentation.

Also note that an earlier answer to your problem suggested that this would be an issue
only if you had overlapping controls; if you don't have overlapping controls, it is not
the problem.  The problem is elsewhere.

Right now, you are flailing about, sprinkling pixie dust around in the hopes of solving
the problem.

Is it an owner-draw box?  What are its styles?  Are you doing any graphics on your own,
using CDC, CClientDC, CPaintDC, memory DCs, etc.?  It still sounds like a resource leak.
					joe

On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:12:43 +0100, "GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Joe, you clearly have a fantastic and deep understanding of the MFC and
>MSDN. I have a lot of respect for this as I have no formal training in MFC.
>The majority of your posts are very helpful and constructive. However, I
>find a large minority of your posts very annoying as you seem to take
>pleasure in berating anyone who doesn't know how to do something which to
>you is simple. I felt like a naughty schoolboy after your last post which
>shot me down in flames!
>
>OK, so I have my dunces hat on, but you have taken pages of text to tell me
>off for referring to the wrong version of the SetWindowPos method, but you
>haven't actually offered me any help, other than saying "read the
>documentation"!! Why didn't you just say that in 1 line!
>
>Now that I have found the right page in the MSDN for SetWindowPos, I find
>that it doesn't actually solve the problem anyway, so all this telling off
>was for nothing!!
>
>I did say in my original post that I "assume" that z-order is the problem,
>however "m_cmbResource.SetWindowPos(&wndTop, etc" still leaves me with a
>white / invisible combo box, for most of the time. So something else must be
>the problem. As well as SetWindowPos, I've tried a ShowWindow with SW_HIDE,
>followed by a SW_SHOW. I've tried ActivateWindow(). Any other ideas anyone?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)

Get this error trying to get @live.com mail to sync with Windows M
[error messge] Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 You enabled an option that your mail server does not support. In Windows Mail go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Servers, then uncheck "Log on using Secure Password Authentication". -- Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "JbarJensen" <JbarJensen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

List box
I am trying to use the list box function from the control toolbar. I am not sure how to get the listings I want in the list box. Is there certain VB coding that is needed? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Todd No VBA code needed. In Design mode, click on your list box and select Properties from the Control toolbox (or right-click your list box and select Properties), then scroll down to the ListFillRange Property and indicate the cell range address that has the items you want to appear in the box (i.e., A1:A10). Then exit out of design mode and test your list box. MRO "Tod...

how do i view different mail boxes
I have set up different email accounts in outlook 2000. How do I choose which mail box I view when I go to outlook? btoonhoule <btoonhoule@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have set up different email accounts in outlook 2000. How do I > choose which mail box I view when I go to outlook? Using IMO or C/W mode? -- Brian Tillman ...

getting started #3
having trouble opening my outlook. what do i need to do to be able to use microsoft outlook. you need a profile. Control panel, mail... add a profile. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM You can access this newsgroup by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point yo...

Concatenate Multi-Select List Box Items
I need to use the chosen items in a multi-select List Box as concatenated text in another control on a subform. This text will be part of a large amount of concatenated text. How do I do this? I did find info here about using such items in a query but it was way over my head and I couldn't figure out how to convert that idea to this issue so please don't just refer me to that w/o some other explanation for this novice. For example, if the user selects: Frt Bumper, Grille, & Headlamp in the List Box, I want to then somehow concatenate those selections into a sente...

Filtering a combo box using a combo box
All, I am trying to filter the records from a table displayed in a combo box using a combo box on the same form. I built a query and set the criteria as Me![FormName]![Combo_box]. This allowed me to filter the list, but it did not do exactly what I wanted. When the first combo box is blank, the second one is also blank. Is there anyway I can get the second combo box to display all of the records when the first box is blank? Thank you for your help. Regards, John Try a criteria in the second combo of: Like Forms!YourFormName!Combo1Name & "*" -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http:/...

Any Ideas on how to get around a password...
I must have put a password on my Outlook express identity when I set it up. I had never closed it and now I did and can't get back in. I am a consultant and all my client info and address are in the address book and e-mails are saved in files. I can access current e-mails through comcast directly but have I lost the historical info for good? Michelle <michelleduhl@hotmail.com> wrote: > I must have put a password on my Outlook express identity > when I set it up. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE,...

colour change of dated box

Combo Box on Forms
Hi, I am using a combo box on a form that has several items w/ one being Other. If the user selects other I want them to be able to input what they want so that it will go into the table instead of just the "Other". I just am not really sure on how to do that. Can you help? Thanks, Jaime In design view click on VIEW - Properties and the the combo. Then change Limit To List to No. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "jseger22@yahoo.com" wrote: > Hi, > > I am using a combo box on a form that has several items w/ one being > Other. If the use...

Any way to get worksheet name from function?
Is there any way for me to access the name of the current Worksheet tab, to put it into a cell? I need a cell whose name changes based on the name entered on the Worksheet tab. Thanks, Colin Copied from Bob Phillips' site........note: leave the "filename" as is. Do not substitute your file name. File path, file and worksheet name: =CELL("filename",A1) File path only: =LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)-1) File name only: =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)+...

sent box
how do i get the emails in the sent box to show sent to instead of sent from? -- deb deb wrote: > how do i get the emails in the sent box to show sent to instead of sent from? Add/remove whatever columns you want. Right-click on the header row and select Field Chooser. i may have not explained myself too well i dont want to sort by the "to" column i want the header on the email to show "to" not "from" i think the problem might be that this is not the default sent file, its just a folder named "sent" its for my boss, he ha...

Get Command
Can anybody tell me what the get command is to list each user and their storage limit settings? Thanks, Jasper Hello Jasper, > Can anybody tell me what the get command is to list each user and > their storage limit settings? > > Thanks, > Jasper Try this: Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited |Seletc-Object Alias, IssueWarningQuota, ProhibitSendQuota, ProhibitSendReceiveQuota, UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults Karl http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com/ Not quite. Instead of "Seletc-Object" (sic) you want "Format-Table" or "ft&...

Template getting locked by xls
I'm using a template on a network and occasionally, one remote use seems to be locking the template. (template in use by xxx) Users all click on a template shortcut to open workbook based o template. Only one user has this happen. Any ideas? Ja -- jama ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jamaz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1663 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31994 Hi is this user doing something differently?. e.g. trying to open the template itself? -- Regards Fra...

Keep getting extra transactions in 2005
I have recently upgraded to Money 2005. I initiated the background service for my bank and now my balance is all out of whack. The question I have is what would be the best method to get my Money balance equal to the bank balance and not have it get lost during the next download process. Skip the whole download thing and enter your own transaction data the old-fashioned way? "Bill Spies" <billspies@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1a4b01c4a719$b1e91500$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have recently upgraded to Money 2005. I initiated the > background service for my bank...

Combo Boxes
Someone sent me an Excel document where each of the cells in I1:I312 are combo boxes. When you click off of those cells, the down arrow disappears. The list for the combo boxes are cells AA1 and AB1 (AA1 is New and AB1 is Existing). Please explain how this was done? Also, can you please tell me if it is possible to make New and Existing autocorrect entries. So even though the choices are New and Existing, if you hit N, New appears, and if you hit E, Existing appears. Thanks!! It sounds like Data|Validation. Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVa...

Edit box should support languages like japanese,chineese etc
Hi wht im trying to ask is.. 1. In my application, all the labels r in english only. 2.If i change the content of one text box in japanese or chineese language , [Text box value is the title for another dialog] 4.After i changed the content, i want the title to be displayed in japanese or chineese language. Note: I want only that text box to be changed ,,not the entire application.. so How can i able to support multibyte characters in MFC controls CEdit --text boxes.. Plz reply They do. You have to be in a Unicode app, and you have to have selected a Unicode font that has Chin...

how to get "version" and "encoding" using xmltextwriter
I am trying to use XmlTextWriter. I write the xml data fine, but the file is missing the first line that shows the version and encoding: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> Can the XmlTextWriter do this?? Thanks. Amil Are you using WriteStartDocument? -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Amil Hanish" <amilhanish@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ugiTO7ROEHA.3264@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I am trying to use XmlTextWriter. I write the xml data fine, but the file > is missing the f...

Separator in combo box
hi, Is it possible to have a line separator in a combo box? I mean something like a separator in menus? thanks, Behzad Try :- http://www.codeproject.com/combobox/zsepcmb.asp http://www.codeproject.com/combobox/customcombo.asp -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com /* MVP tips tricks and essays web site */ http://blog.voidnish.com /* My blog on C++/CLI, MFC, Whidbey, CLR... */ "behzad" <b@b.com> wrote in message news:%23fVB3em5EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > hi, > Is it possible to have a line separator in a combo box? I mean something > like...

Text boxes on graphs
How do you make a text box hide the grid lines behind it on a graph? The grid lines are still visible and run through the text box, cluttering it up. Thanks right-click text box choose -- 'Format Text Box' from shortcut menu colors and lines tab change fill color to white Warm Regards, Crystal remote programming and training Access Basics 8-part free tutorial that covers essentials in Access http://www.AccessMVP.com/strive4peace * (: have an awesome day :) * Drew wrote: > How do you make a text box hide the grid lines behind it on a graph? The > grid line...

Nothing is Getting display in the Browser

Internet incoming message don't get to some recipients
Hi I'm running exchange 5.5 sp4, I'd like to get some help to solve this situation: Some recipients are able to recieve Internet incoming message and others are not able, I mean the same message. so what I do is to send a test message (not attachment included) I set many recipients in the To Field in Outlook and some of these recipients are able to get the test message and others don't. "Not rules are implemented in the Outlook Clients" Thank You for your help. On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:29:14 -0400, "Javier" <jbisono@tricom.com.do> wrote: > >Hi &...

Multiple Combo Boxes Highlighted
Hi, I have a problem with something in VB6. I have 4 combo boxes with individual names (not an array) located on an SSTab object. When I select another tab and then return to the tab these boxes are located on, each of them appears to be highlighted in blue. I add values to them only when loading the form so I'm at a loss as to why this happens ? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jen. "Jennifer Ward" <jward@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eq5HrcBrKHA.6064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a problem with someth...

HELP !! Combo box to feed other combo boxes
Hi, I have a form with a stock list. One field is [Dealer Allocated] so stock can be allocated to a specific dealer - this is a combo box (combo1) for single allocations. I now also want to be able to update this combo box for several records in bulk. I thought I would do this by having a second combo box in the footer of the form which the user selects the dealer from and then clicks a button which looks for first record without dealer allocated and updates the value of combo1 to the value of combo2. This would then be enclosed in a Do Loop for specified number of records. I can...

Set Text Box Control To Blank
I have a procedure that executes on the beforeupdate event of a textbox (text24). The procedure works out the checkdigit for the number entered and if there is a discrepancy, a message box appears telling the user the number is wrong. What I'd like to do is modify the code as such so that when a discrepancy is found and the user clicks ok on the message box, focus is returned to (text24) and set to blank so that the faulty number is gone. Here is the code I am using.... It's quite crude as I'm only at beginner level, but hey, it works! Private Sub Text24_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Int...

Get Range object from Cell Row and Column No.
Hi, I'm using Excel 2003, I have a function which I want it to return a range object which points to a cell, the cell is identified by the code which determins which column number and row number make up the Cells RowIndex and ColumnIndex attributes. For some reason I keep receiving an application-defined or object-defined error, my code is below, any advice would be appreciated: Function GetJournalInsertRange(ColumnHeader As String) As Range Dim ColumnNumber As Integer Dim RowNumber As Integer ColumnNumber = 0 For Each header In Range("JournalHdr&q...