Code Comment Web Report,

I have enabled VC++ XML comments in Visual Studio 2005.  However, I do not 
see the "Build Comment Web Pages" under the Tools file menu (which my book 
says should be there--but the book was written for VS02).  Did they get rid 
of Build Comment Web Pages in VS05, or simply move it? 


0
hello2995 (32)
7/6/2006 6:50:00 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

10 Replies
640 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 24

> I have enabled VC++ XML comments in Visual Studio 2005.  However, I do not
> see the "Build Comment Web Pages" under the Tools file menu (which my book
> says should be there--but the book was written for VS02).  Did they get rid
> of Build Comment Web Pages in VS05, or simply move it?

Looks like it was removed from VS2005:

http://blogs.msdn.com/kaevans/archive/2005/11/08/490463.aspx

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6841)
7/6/2006 6:51:23 PM
> Looks like it was removed from VS2005:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/kaevans/archive/2005/11/08/490463.aspx

Thanks, I'm new to this automatic documentation generation.  Do most MFC 
programmers use the VC++ XML documentation tags, or something else like 
DOxygen?

> Ajay
> 


0
hello2995 (32)
7/6/2006 8:14:56 PM
> Thanks, I'm new to this automatic documentation generation.  Do most MFC
> programmers use the VC++ XML documentation tags, or something else like
> DOxygen?

I personally dont use either. This was introduced in VS2002 and
majority of us have been using it since VC6 or before when this was not
available. I will be surprised if something like this is being used by
more than a handful C++ developers. Its likely that this was put to
attract .Net developers. 

----
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6841)
7/6/2006 8:15:11 PM
This sort of "documentation" is fairly useless nearly all of the time; I have never used
any sort of automated-documentation system because they essentially add nothing at all to
the value of a project.  Either you end up with nearly-unreadable code comments so the
metasymbols for the automated documention can be placed, or you end up with
nearly-unreadable documentation because all attempts to infer the metasymbols are
inherently flawed and cannot be made to work.

In a sane world, we could use Word or Powerpoint to create our programs, and/or we could
insert spreadsheets, graphs, Visio and Powerpoint objects in our source code.  But
instead, we are left with somewhat wider-than-80-columns punched card input to our
compilers, sort of like the 1955 FORTRAN compiler provided; the field has not matured at
all in 50 years.  

I don't see any reason that any of these techniques would be used.  Nobody reads
documentation unless they're reading code anyway.  They appear to exist to support
mindless "suit" needs to have some kind of documentation checklist item satisfied.  
					joe

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:14:56 -0700, "vsgdp" <hello@null.com> wrote:

>
>> Looks like it was removed from VS2005:
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/kaevans/archive/2005/11/08/490463.aspx
>
>Thanks, I'm new to this automatic documentation generation.  Do most MFC 
>programmers use the VC++ XML documentation tags, or something else like 
>DOxygen?
>
>> Ajay
>> 
>
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
newcomer (15974)
7/6/2006 9:20:18 PM
I use DOxygen sometimes, but usually I just do documentation separate from 
the code.

Tom

"vsgdp" <hello@null.com> wrote in message 
news:X7erg.3518$5K2.865@fed1read03...
>
>> Looks like it was removed from VS2005:
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/kaevans/archive/2005/11/08/490463.aspx
>
> Thanks, I'm new to this automatic documentation generation.  Do most MFC 
> programmers use the VC++ XML documentation tags, or something else like 
> DOxygen?
>
>> Ajay
>>
>
> 


0
tserface (3860)
7/6/2006 9:35:55 PM
Back in the old, idealistic days, I use to start off new projects with 
the conviction that I would "document" as a matter of good form.  Years 
later, I've learned that documenting code, at least, can lead to 
disaster if the docs are not kept updated during maintenance --- future 
programmers are easily lead astray by a single inadvertent lie in the 
comments.  I believe now that code should, must, document itself.

-York

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> This sort of "documentation" is fairly useless nearly all of the time; I have never used
> any sort of automated-documentation system because they essentially add nothing at all to
> the value of a project.  Either you end up with nearly-unreadable code comments so the
> metasymbols for the automated documention can be placed, or you end up with
> nearly-unreadable documentation because all attempts to infer the metasymbols are
> inherently flawed and cannot be made to work.
> 
> In a sane world, we could use Word or Powerpoint to create our programs, and/or we could
> insert spreadsheets, graphs, Visio and Powerpoint objects in our source code.  But
> instead, we are left with somewhat wider-than-80-columns punched card input to our
> compilers, sort of like the 1955 FORTRAN compiler provided; the field has not matured at
> all in 50 years.  
> 
> I don't see any reason that any of these techniques would be used.  Nobody reads
> documentation unless they're reading code anyway.  They appear to exist to support
> mindless "suit" needs to have some kind of documentation checklist item satisfied.  
> 					joe
> 
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:14:56 -0700, "vsgdp" <hello@null.com> wrote:
> 
>>> Looks like it was removed from VS2005:
>>>
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/kaevans/archive/2005/11/08/490463.aspx
>> Thanks, I'm new to this automatic documentation generation.  Do most MFC 
>> programmers use the VC++ XML documentation tags, or something else like 
>> DOxygen?
>>
>>> Ajay
>>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
york1 (53)
7/6/2006 9:54:48 PM
"Sgt. York" <york@frontlines.org> wrote in message 
news:hcudnXAHT5FHGDDZnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@scnresearch.com...
(snip)
> I believe now that code should, must, document itself.

Wow!  Are you saying, you never comment anything?  If a programmer wants to 
know how to use your routine, they have to read the code?

I believe in commenting routines (in a header) and variables in the .h file. 
These comments show up in MSVS when you access the member (variable or 
function).

DanB


0
Dan
7/6/2006 10:00:42 PM
Certainly code should be clear and simple, but I, at least, put lots of comments in my
code.

What I tell my students is that "remember, your code will be maintained by unskilled
labor.  That means the new hire, or you, a year later"

This saved me when one of my cllients came back to me last year to add new features to the
program to support their new line of controllers.  If I hadn't done extensive comments, I
would not have had a chance at figuring out what I'd done.  OTOH, if I'd written a
"document" I'd be doomed also, because the document would be completely out of date.

I've almost never commented variables.  But all my functions have a standard header which
gets a lot of text when appropriate.
					joe

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:00:42 -0600, "Dan Baker" <dbmail> wrote:

>"Sgt. York" <york@frontlines.org> wrote in message 
>news:hcudnXAHT5FHGDDZnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@scnresearch.com...
>(snip)
>> I believe now that code should, must, document itself.
>
>Wow!  Are you saying, you never comment anything?  If a programmer wants to 
>know how to use your routine, they have to read the code?
>
>I believe in commenting routines (in a header) and variables in the .h file. 
>These comments show up in MSVS when you access the member (variable or 
>function).
>
>DanB
>
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
newcomer (15974)
7/6/2006 10:18:48 PM
I tend to over comment.  I often have at least as many comment lines as I 
have code, but I don't consider this documentation in the same sense as 
using DOxygen.

I agree with commenting in the .h files as well as it's nice to have the 
help in Intellisense.

Tom

"Dan Baker" <dbmail> wrote in message 
news:%23qIBheUoGHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "Sgt. York" <york@frontlines.org> wrote in message 
> news:hcudnXAHT5FHGDDZnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@scnresearch.com...
> (snip)
>> I believe now that code should, must, document itself.
>
> Wow!  Are you saying, you never comment anything?  If a programmer wants 
> to know how to use your routine, they have to read the code?
>
> I believe in commenting routines (in a header) and variables in the .h 
> file. These comments show up in MSVS when you access the member (variable 
> or function).
>
> DanB
>
> 


0
tserface (3860)
7/6/2006 10:20:54 PM
Yes, I guess I should qualify what I meant.  Documenting at the function 
level in the headers for non-obvious functions is useful, but I've had 
to maintain code that contains fixes that are the result of bad form 
up-front (i.e. hacks to fix regression errors) without simultaneous 
changes to the old comments, which became flat wrong and misleading. 
Maybe someday compilers will catch those kinds of errors.  Then there 
are the obvious examples, for instance we have a junior member on our 
team who use to comment like this:

   //
   // counter for pin-out array
   //
   int counterPinOut = 0;

VC++ wizards also tends to add superfluous junk like this:

   // COGLWidget class
   class COGLWidget
   {
   // Construction
   public:
     COGLWidget(); // standard constructor

   // Implementation
   public:

   // Attributes
   public:

   // Operations
   public:

For me, this is like bird-watching in a sandstorm.

-York

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Certainly code should be clear and simple, but I, at least, put lots of comments in my
> code.
> 
> What I tell my students is that "remember, your code will be maintained by unskilled
> labor.  That means the new hire, or you, a year later"
> 
> This saved me when one of my cllients came back to me last year to add new features to the
> program to support their new line of controllers.  If I hadn't done extensive comments, I
> would not have had a chance at figuring out what I'd done.  OTOH, if I'd written a
> "document" I'd be doomed also, because the document would be completely out of date.
> 
> I've almost never commented variables.  But all my functions have a standard header which
> gets a lot of text when appropriate.
> 					joe
> 
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:00:42 -0600, "Dan Baker" <dbmail> wrote:
> 
>> "Sgt. York" <york@frontlines.org> wrote in message 
>> news:hcudnXAHT5FHGDDZnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@scnresearch.com...
>> (snip)
>>> I believe now that code should, must, document itself.
>> Wow!  Are you saying, you never comment anything?  If a programmer wants to 
>> know how to use your routine, they have to read the code?
>>
>> I believe in commenting routines (in a header) and variables in the .h file. 
>> These comments show up in MSVS when you access the member (variable or 
>> function).
>>
>> DanB
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
york1 (53)
7/7/2006 12:10:20 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Integrate Paycodes, benefit codes and deduction codes
Has anyone used integration manager to update new pay rates, deduction amounts and benefit amounts for employees? At the beginning of each year, our company gives pay increases and we need to update the pay codes, deduction codes and benefit codes for 40 employees, which we get the information from a spreadsheet. I thought that maybe I could use integration manager to update the pay, benefit and deduction codes instead of going into each employee's card, which is time consuming. Thanks, Laura Integration Manager will allow you to do this. Use the Payroll Master Destination. one ...

custom invoices using sql server reporting services
We have 80 companies and each one wants its own unique invoice. What is the best way to go about this? I already have SSRS setup for other things - can I leverage that for this task. How would I go about doing this? Thanks in advance! GP 2010 has the ability for you to do this, but that won't help you now. There are a couple of options out there - I'm not sure of all of the functions these softwares offer, but I know they solve 'out-facing' document issues: Rockton Software's Dynamics Reports Manager: http://www.rocktonsoftware.com/products.aspx?p=3 Ac...

zip codes don't merge #2
I am trying to mail merge w/ Word 2000 the names and addresses in my worksheet. When I get to the part to choose the format for the mailing labels, I choose F1, F2, etc. to F6 (which is the zip code column). A few do get there, but the vast majority stop at the state, leaving off the entire zip code. I have gone to menu/format and selected text in the number tab. I have gone to format/cells and chosen special/zip code in the number tab. I've read Excel for Dummies. Please help me. TIA bb ...

How do I use copy web site
I use the visual studio 2005 development server so the File system is used. My web site is located in F:/MyTest I have added a virtual directory called MT that points to the physical directory F:/MyTest So I can start the web site from the brower when I enter http://localhost/MT/Startpage.aspx This works perfect. If I for example want to use the copy web site to copy my web site to a production directory so to speak. Can somebody tell me how I do this. I have read the documentation but does not understand what they mean. For example should I use the File system or local IIS ...

concatenating two vendor codes
My company recently changed the vendor codes and now I end up with two separate sets of data for each vendor. Obviously I could just leave the vendor code field out. I don't want to do that so what I need to do is concatenate the two codes. Example Vendor Code Vendor Name 123 Joe's Supplies ABC Joe's Supplies what I need is this Vendor Code Vendor Name 123/ABC Joe's Supplies any ideas? Rather than create a new record for each vendor, add another field to the table -- call it NewVendorCode -- and put th...

Can MS EXCEL remove duplicates and separate by color coded items ?
Can MS EXCEL remove duplicates and separate by color coded items ? I am NOT technical and have just started using MS EXCEL. Can anyone PLEASE HELP me: 1. How can I automatically remove duplicates using EXCEL ? ie the same info input more than once on different lines. Can EXCEL do this ? 2, I have color coded the text in the certain lines in terms of priority. can Excel rearrange the data by color ? If yes, How do I do it ? I think I have EXCEL '97 Thanks for your help in advance. Hi 1. You can extract the unique items to a new list using menu Data > Filter > Advanced fil...

16 bit code
Hello, I have a 16 bit code to maintain. (It is too complex to copile it to 32 bit) so all we are doing is support. Now they want to add a small feature, where I need to copy long file names in the project. I know we can not do long file name copies in vc++ (1.52). So I wrote a program in VC++(6.0) which does directory copy. My questions are 1. How can I call a 32 bit exe (I guess WinExec should work)? 2. How can I make the 16 bit to wait till the 32 bit code completes? 3. Is there any other better way to do this? (other than converting to 32 bit) Thanks. I actually do this in an old 16-bi...

Z report not printing
All other receipts are printing and I can print a X report but cannot print a Z report. Have I missed something? Thanks guys. ...

Sales for Outlook
Hello I have MS CRM up and running with no issues EXCEPT on one PC where: In Outlook when the user clicks on the Microsoft CRM folder nothing happens (just get the hourglass). I did some investigation - the folder tries to call up the web page http://localhost:2525/stage.aspx?page=Home&area=nav_home which when I try open it in a browser I get nothing (eventually times out). if I try telnet 2525 - the cassini web server is running. at this stage I'm confused - it appears to be an issue with a particular pc. I've defaulted all permissions in IE and even added localhost ...

Non Delivery Reports- where do I change the FROM address.
Currently, all our NDRs have a FROM address which is the previous sys admin's name. But where do I change this so that NDR's FROM address is my name? So if I send an email to Jeff, who is not in the Active Directory, I get a NDR from JoeBlow who used to work here years ago.. Exchange 2003 -- | +-- JDMils | Does joeblow's account still exist? If so check his SMTP addresses and see if he has the postmaster address listed as a secondary address. If so remove it and add it to your account. James Chong MCSE + Messaging, MCTP msexchangetips.blogspot.com JDMils wrote: > C...

area codes is auto filling my own 9 digit ph# vs just area code
When I enter a phone number for a contact it autofills with my personal area code and phone number instead of just the area code. How to I change this to just autofil the area code? I am using Outlook 2007 on an ACER laptop. Make sure you have your area code entered correctly in "Dialing Properties". "Computer Dummy" wrote: > When I enter a phone number for a contact it autofills with my personal area > code and phone number instead of just the area code. How to I change this to > just autofil the area code? I am using Outlook 2007 on an ACER ...

VBA Code for Pasting Sheets
I would like a spreadhseet that pastes the contents of one sheet into another sheet. I like like to do this for 7 different sheets For example: I would like paste the contents form sheet titled "sheet1" into a sheet titled "data1". Continue to process for pasting "sheet2" into "data2" and "sheet3" into "data3" all way until "sheet7" and "data7". thanks, Curt Subject: Automated Copy Paste Subject: Copy/Paste Import/Export Data VBA Code On Apr 27, 10:49=A0am, Curt <C...@discussions.mi...

MC/VISA joint code
Isn't there any way to combine the blocks (4* & 5*) for MC/VISA credit cards? It's a pain to have them separate because my bank posts them together. It is the same company afterall. It would save me a lot of time adding separate entries together to reconcile the statement! I do not know of a way to do what you are asking, but I have found that using the # symbol as follows works better than using the * symbol: 4############### 5############### If you use the * symbol it is a wild card with no determined length. The # symbol requires that the characters after the first d...

Money 2004 - Experian Offer
I just loaded Money 2004 Deluxe and converted my 2003 files with no problem. I decided to give the free year of credit monitoring from Experian a try but after filling everything out I get an error that the provided code has expired. I neither had nor provided any code for this offer, I only used the link from Money 2004. Now Experian was more than willing to set up a $79 account if I wanted to proceed. Any solution out there? I have the same problem... I am looking for a FREE way to contact Microsoft about this problem. >-----Original Message----- >I just loaded Money 2004 ...

Analytical Accounting
Hi, One of my Client's is considering to go down AA path with approx 300,000 AA dimension codes. I would like to hear whether such data set is manageable from Query wizard etc. appreciate your thoughts. Good Morning PR, I found that the issue isn't the number of AA Trx Dim Codes it is the size of the AAG30000 and AAG40000 tables the more entries the longer it takes to product the report. I had one client that started having a cached SSRS report with AA information as a management level report and a different SSRS report with a more restrictive dataset for reporting ...

files in web page not located in expected location
I have created a web publication and when I "publish to the web" the home page comes up just fine. However when I click on the next page which is a calendar, I get a message that says "some of the files in this web page aren't in the expected location. Do you want to download anyway?" When I say yes it shows the page, but not the way it is supposed to look. The calendar is larger than the page. This did not happen on my orignal document, but started happening after I had uploaded the initial index.html page to the web server. How can I fix this before I update ...

Cancel Report
On Open of a report I run code to open a form for the user to select filters for the report and it works great. However, my users want a cancel button on this form to cancel the report. I added the cancel button to the form and can close the form with no problem, but I can not figure out how to cancel the report itself. What makes this a little tricky is that this form is called by many reports so I would need a way to capture the name of the report to cancel! Please Help Thanks DDBeards You can use the OpenArgs argument when you open the form from the report to pass the reports n...

Change code with code?
Hi All..... I've got 31 Excel .xlsm files to modify the "Change Event" macro in. Is it possible to open and perform this with code, or must I do each one by hand? TIA Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 If it is the same change in each sheet, it would probably be just as easy to go into the VBE, double click on the first sheet, make the correction, then copy that correction and double click the second sheet, delete and paste. Repeat the process 30 times. Takes less time than writing the code to do it. "CLR" <CLR@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Inserting comments on graphs
How do I insert a comment on a graph. I want to call out something on the graph. I have tried drawing an arrow and adding text by the arrow but it is not part of the graph and is sent behind the graph when the graph is selected. Thanks. Chris Hi AFAIK this is not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Christopher Anderson" <ChristopherAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2DF90C73-F26B-47CB-BFF4-CF2408B0683E@microsoft.com... > How do I insert a comment on a graph. I want to call out something on the > graph. I have tried...

vlookup is reporting 0 when I want it to show a blank cell
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, <br><br>My vlookup formula is giving 0s when it encounters cells I've left blank my table. I'd like to know how I can get it to provide blank cells when it encounters blank cells. <br><br>Here's my formula string: <br><br>=VLOOKUP($C506,'Threats &amp; Conservation Actions'!$B$3:$N$42,6,0) <br><br>Thanks! The simple way might be to set the Sheet not to show 0 values. See the Excel help topic "Control how zero values are displaye...

Customization Report
How can I find: (i) The customizations that I haven't published yet? (ii) The cutsomizations that I have alread published and when? ...

Access 2003
I have a form that goes to a subform for searching. It works perfectly on my computer; however, when another user opens it and attempts to perform a search, they receive the Error Code 2455 message. When I debug, it gets stuck on "Me.book_subform.Form.Filter = strWhereSearch" and says that book_subform cannot be found. It isn't a rights issue, it isn't a mapping issue. What am I missing? check your naming. This is an issue that often confused. In this syntax: Me.book_subform.Form.Filter > = strWhereSearch book_subform is the name of the subform control on the main ...

Write a code by code
How can I write a code from procedure to some Workbook's ThisWorkbook? With procedure1 a make Workbook with a table. I need to write Auto_Close procedure to ThisWorkbook which makes some controls before I close it. Is it possible? <jenista.j@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0be501c52fab$ba0b6830$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I write a code from procedure to some Workbook's > ThisWorkbook? With procedure1 a make Workbook with a table. > I need to write Auto_Close procedure to ThisWorkbook which > makes some controls before I close it. Is it possible? ...

Coding Duplicate Records
How can I code that a record is to be "K" kept or "D" deleted when compared to its next row? Example: A sorted file by Address BEFORE LastName Address Sales Date Keep/Delete 1. WASSEM 0N642 TITUS PL 67,500 6/25/2001 2. HART 0N655 E WEAVER CIR 70,000 3/19/2001 3. HART 0N655 E WEAVER CIR 40,000 3/19/2001 4. HART 0N655 WEAVER CIRCLE 33,700 6/19/1998 5. POYTH 0N662 W WEAVER CIR 294,690 6/21/2000 6. BLAND 0N670 GREEN PL ...

help with/for pivottable code
Hi everyone! I have code that takes a large workbook and divides it into a number of separate new workbooks based on data that is in column A. What i need is to create code that will create a pivot table in the new workbook. here is my code: Sub Regionalize() Dim wks As Worksheet Dim wksNew As Worksheet Dim wbk As Workbook Dim rng As Range Dim cell As Range Dim lRow As Long Dim sFileName As String Dim sFolder As String Dim sRegion As String Set wks = Sheets("region") Set rng = wks.Range("regiondata") ...