CObject Private method access error

Hi,

I am trying to recompile application that has been developed in VC++
6.0 with VC++2005..
While compiling, I'm getting the following error..

error C2248: 'CObject::CObject' : cannot access private member declared
in class 'CObject'
1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(553) : see declaration of 'CObject::CObject'
1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(524) : see declaration of 'CObject'
1>        This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function
'CException::CException(const CException &)'

Our application have a custom exception class derived from CException
which in turn implements a copy constructor

CSException (const CSException &ToCopy);

The code from which this exception is called as below..

throw CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);

Please let me know what could be wrong here and how I can overcome
this..

Thanks,
Nishant

0
nishantnow (15)
1/4/2007 8:41:18 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

NKH wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to recompile application that has been developed in VC++
> 6.0 with VC++2005..
> While compiling, I'm getting the following error..
>
> error C2248: 'CObject::CObject' : cannot access private member declared
> in class 'CObject'
> 1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
> 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(553) : see declaration of 'CObject::CObject'
> 1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
> 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(524) : see declaration of 'CObject'
> 1>        This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function
> 'CException::CException(const CException &)'
>

> Our application have a custom exception class derived from CException
> which in turn implements a copy constructor
>
> CSException (const CSException &ToCopy);
>
> The code from which this exception is called as below..
>
> throw CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);
>
> Please let me know what could be wrong here and how I can overcome
> this..
>
> Thanks,
> Nishant

Nishant:

I always derive my own exceptions from std::exception (where this would
not happen), but aren't you supposed to throw CException-derived
exceptions by pointer?

David Wilkinson
0
no-reply8010 (1791)
1/4/2007 11:44:11 AM
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to recompile application that has been developed in VC++
> 6.0 with VC++2005..
> While compiling, I'm getting the following error..
>
> error C2248: 'CObject::CObject' : cannot access private member declared
> in class 'CObject'
> 1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
> 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(553) : see declaration of 'CObject::CObject'
> 1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
> 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(524) : see declaration of 'CObject'
> 1>        This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function
> 'CException::CException(const CException &)'
>

> Our application have a custom exception class derived from CException
> which in turn implements a copy constructor
>
> CSException (const CSException &ToCopy);
>
> The code from which this exception is called as below..
>
> throw CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);
>
> Please let me know what could be wrong here and how I can overcome
> this..
>
> Thanks,
> Nishant

I would be inclined to throw new CSException, since there are lots of places where MFC
traps CException* exceptions, and if you don't throw a pointer to an exception you can get
into trouble.

It is entirely possible that your custom class is using some feature which has been
deprecated (e.g., changed from protected to private).  Since you give no details of the
class, it is impossible to guess what is going on.
					joe
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
1/5/2007 12:53:11 AM
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 19:53:11 -0500, Joseph M. Newcomer
<newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to recompile application that has been developed in VC++
>> 6.0 with VC++2005..
>> While compiling, I'm getting the following error..
>>
>> error C2248: 'CObject::CObject' : cannot access private member declared
>> in class 'CObject'
>> 1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
>> 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(553) : see declaration of 'CObject::CObject'
>> 1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
>> 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(524) : see declaration of 'CObject'
>> 1>        This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function
>> 'CException::CException(const CException &)'
>>

>> Our application have a custom exception class derived from CException
>> which in turn implements a copy constructor
>>
>> CSException (const CSException &ToCopy);

That *declares* the copy ctor. Sounds like the *definition* (AKA
implementation) chains to the base class copy ctor, which is private, hence
your error. Lesson: Classes derived from CObject are not meant to support
copying. If you want to force the issue, you'll have to chain to some other
accessible ctor. If you don't chain to any ctor, the default ctor will be
used for the base class.

>> The code from which this exception is called as below..
>>
>> throw CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);
>>
>> Please let me know what could be wrong here and how I can overcome
>> this..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nishant
>>

>I would be inclined to throw new CSException, since there are lots of places where MFC
>traps CException* exceptions, and if you don't throw a pointer to an exception you can get
>into trouble.

Absolutely right. Throwing anything besides CException* in a MFC program
creates complications, and deriving a class from CException and throwing it
by value cannot be considered appropriate, ever. I talk more about this
here:

http://members.cox.net/doug_web/eh.htm#Q6

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP

I tried by pointers and it worked..This is what I have given now
throw &CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);

Anyway, please find below the class definition..Please let me know if
this is correct way of doing things in VC++2005..Thanks

class QBASE_DLLEXP CSException : public CException
{
    public :
        DECLARE_DYNAMIC (CSException);

        //
        // Class specific enums
        //

        enum eMaxSizes
        {
              eMaxExceptionMsgLength = 255
            , eMaxFileNameLength = 512
            , eMaxLineNumberLength = 17
            , eMaxErrorMsgLength = eMaxExceptionMsgLength +
eMaxFileNameLength +
                                   eMaxLineNumberLength
        };

        //
        //  Constructor
        //  To build an exception, the only parameters are the error
message
        //  itself, the filename that created the exception (from
__FILE__)
        //  and the line it was created on (from __LINE__).
        //
        CSException( const char *const ExceptionMsg
                    , const char *const FileName
                    , const int LineNumber);

        CSException (const CSException &ToCopy);

        ~CSException(){};

        //
        //  Public methods
        //

        // Data access methods
        const char *ExceptionMsg() const;
        const char *FileName() const;
        int LineNumber() const;

        //
        //  Public, inherited methods
        //

        // Method to get the error message.  The buffer passed in
should be long
        // enough to hold the max error message length and the max file
name length
        // and the line number.  This value is stored in the enum
        // eMaxExceptionMsgLength.
        virtual BOOL GetErrorMessage( LPTSTR StrToFill
                                    , UINT   BufSize
                                    , UINT*  pHelpContext);

    private :
        //
        //  Hidden constructors and operators
        //  DO NOT IMPLEMENT THESE.
        //
        void operator= (const CSException &ToAssign);

    private :
        //
        //  Private data members
        //
        //  __ExceptionMsg
        //      The actual error message text
        //
        //  __LineNumber
        //      The line number at which the error was logged.
        //
        //  __FileName
        //      The name of the file that the error was logged from.
        //
        char __ExceptionMsg[eMaxExceptionMsgLength + 1];
        char __FileName[eMaxFileNameLength + 1];
        const int __LineNumber;
};

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to recompile application that has been developed in VC++
> > 6.0 with VC++2005..
> > While compiling, I'm getting the following error..
> >
> > error C2248: 'CObject::CObject' : cannot access private member declared
> > in class 'CObject'
> > 1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
> > 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(553) : see declaration of 'CObject::CObject'
> > 1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio
> > 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(524) : see declaration of 'CObject'
> > 1>        This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function
> > 'CException::CException(const CException &)'
> >

> > Our application have a custom exception class derived from CException
> > which in turn implements a copy constructor
> >
> > CSException (const CSException &ToCopy);
> >
> > The code from which this exception is called as below..
> >
> > throw CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);
> >
> > Please let me know what could be wrong here and how I can overcome
> > this..
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nishant
> >

> I would be inclined to throw new CSException, since there are lots of places where MFC
> traps CException* exceptions, and if you don't throw a pointer to an exception you can get
> into trouble.
>
> It is entirely possible that your custom class is using some feature which has been
> deprecated (e.g., changed from protected to private).  Since you give no details of the
> class, it is impossible to guess what is going on.
> 					joe
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

nishantnow (15)
1/5/2007 8:41:21 AM
NKH wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried by pointers and it worked..This is what I have given now
> throw &CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);

NKH:

This may compile, but surely it cannot work, because you are returning a
pointer to a temporary. As others have noted you should be doing

throw new CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);

David Wilkinson

0
no-reply8010 (1791)
1/5/2007 11:39:23 AM
That looks really suspicious.  I wouldn't trust it to work correctly, because it involves
a temporary object and the rules for temporary objects are complex.  Why are you opposed
to throwing new?  Is it some completely misplaced concept of "efficiency", perhaps?

There is a technique to be used for CException, which has already been pointed out: throw
new.  Why do you feel a compulsion to invent your own scheme?
					joe

On 5 Jan 2007 00:41:21 -0800, "NKH" <nishantnow@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>> > Our application have a custom exception class derived from CException
>> > which in turn implements a copy constructor
>> >
>> > CSException (const CSException &ToCopy);
>> >
>> > The code from which this exception is called as below..
>> >
>> > throw CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);
>> >
>> > Please let me know what could be wrong here and how I can overcome
>> > this..
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Nishant
>> >

>> I would be inclined to throw new CSException, since there are lots of places where MFC
>> traps CException* exceptions, and if you don't throw a pointer to an exception you can get
>> into trouble.
>>
>> It is entirely possible that your custom class is using some feature which has been
>> deprecated (e.g., changed from protected to private).  Since you give no details of the
>> class, it is impossible to guess what is going on.
1/5/2007 1:04:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your comments..I think, as you have all suggested, I should
be using new..

Regards,
Nishant

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> [...]
> >        //  __LineNumber
> >        //      The line number at which the error was logged.
> >        //
> >        //  __FileName
> >        //      The name of the file that the error was logged from.
> >        //
> >        char __ExceptionMsg[eMaxExceptionMsgLength + 1];
> >        char __FileName[eMaxFileNameLength + 1];
> >        const int __LineNumber;
> >};

> >> I would be inclined to throw new CSException, since there are lots of places where MFC
> >> traps CException* exceptions, and if you don't throw a pointer to an exception you can get
> >> into trouble.
> >>
> >> It is entirely possible that your custom class is using some feature which has been
> >> deprecated (e.g., changed from protected to private).  Since you give no details of the
> >> class, it is impossible to guess what is going on.

nishantnow (15)
1/5/2007 2:05:44 PM
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 06:39:23 -0500, David Wilkinson <no-reply@effisols.com>
wrote:

>NKH wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried by pointers and it worked..This is what I have given now
>> throw &CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);
>
>NKH:
>
>This may compile, but surely it cannot work, because you are returning a
>pointer to a temporary. As others have noted you should be doing
>
>throw new CSException (Msg, __FILE__, __LINE__);
>
>David Wilkinson

It shouldn't even compile, because it's illegal to take the address of a
temporary. VC is historically overly permissive in this area. Compile with
/Za, and it should reject it.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP

Debug Assertion failed while deleting a CObject derived class
Hello, after some changes in Visual project settings I got=20 an=20 "debug assertion failed File: dbgheap.c Line: 1084 Expression: pHead->nBlockUse=3D=3DnBlockUse" The error occcurs at the last line of the following code=20 section: ------------------------------------------------------ CMobiles* test =3Dnew CMobile; if(test=3D=3DNULL) AfxMessageBox("Allocation error"); delete test; ------------------------------------------------------ The error occurs only if "CMobile" is derived from=20 CObject. It is independent how simple "CMobile" is. ...

cannont access navigation bar options
hello guys, every time i click on my navigation bar and want to add a new page or anything to it, how do i access the options? before there would be a magic wand under that i would press, now instaed of that wand, a box shows up the box is to group, and ungroup objects, but HOW DO I GET TO THE NAVIGATION BAR OPTIONS!!!! It works when i make a new site, but for this particluar site, the navigation options are not accesible! They used to be, but then my web page stopped working, after i got it working it just stopped! and now publisher stopped recognizing it as a navigation bar Was yo...

rules in error #17
I am using outlook on two different machines/locations with the data .pst file on a mobile drive. When connecting this mobile drive and opening outlook for the first time at the machine were I arrive, a 'Rules in error' pop up window shows up. The pop-up window lists all rules for which new messages are arriving. When opening 'rules and alerts' those rules for which messages have arrived are unchecked. I have to recheck the rules and click apply, click ok - in order for all registered rules to work/apply. Is there a way to avoid this - so that even when switching bet...

Final solution to MAPI Error Message
-- JOHN HASKINS After experiencing the error generated message for all mapi problems trying to use the send email functions in Office 2007, including Word 2007, I now have solved the mystery. It was incredible all the postings I have read, dating back to 2005 about this problem. To make a long story short, follow this Microsoft link. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN=US;918792 If the typed in link is not highlighted, just copy and paste to your browser. The main Topics of this article [ Article ID: 918792 - Dec 15, 2009- revision 4 ] is to 1. verify your...

Access 2007 Developer Ext Install Problem
I have an installation of Office 2003 including Access 2003. I installed an Access 2007 UPDATE version and everything is A OK. I installed the Access 2007 Developer Extensions but the Developer Options DO NOY SHOW in the Access 2007 Office Button Menu. On a previous install (different system) with the FULL Office 2007 install and the Developer Ext the Developer option DOES show up under the Office button menu. What am I doing weong? Any help appreciated. Ray Ray, I will be interested to hear what others say, but I think the option gets destroyed off the Access 2007 by the reinstall pr...

4.0 Client Config error
The Client config returns an error with this in the server log; Exception information: Exception type: HttpParseException Exception message: Could not create type 'Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.Crm2007.CrmDiscoveryServiceAD'. Request information: Request URL: http://toshiba2002:5555/MSCRMServices/2007/AD/CrmDiscoveryService.asmx Request path: /MSCRMServices/2007/AD/CrmDiscoveryService.asmx The web client works OK, and I also get this same error when I try to connect the DMManager. The Server is SBE. Any ideas? -- Thanx Grizz Dear see this http://support.micros...

unable to set a record as private (activities)
Microsoft CRM v3 Customers and prospects are requesting the ability to mark a record (primarily notes and emails) as private such that only the owner and other internal party users on the record are able to open it. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http...

Pivot Table with MS Access as DataSource
Hello all. Thanks for the help in advance. I am trying to use a UNC to pull data from a MS Access database as a external datasource for a pivot table in MS Excel 2003. I can actively pull the data, since I have a network drive mapped to the location, but others who have the drive mapped to another letter are unable to open the document and refresh. I am trying to figure out the best way to create this pivot table utilizing the shared network UNC. Please help! Regards, Me Hello, I would use a SQL query to pull the data out of the Access db. Then everyone can push...

Public Folder error messages
Help thanks, we get errors on our Exchange 2000 event viewer regarding public folder messages. Error says 0x8004010f occured on message 1-9726C during a background cleanup on database "First Storage Group\Public Folders Store (Servername). This is just an example. I know they can be ignored according to the research I have done. However is there a way to search for the errors so that I can delete the messages from the Public folder it is associated to. That way I can clean up the event viewer logs. thanks Kath -- Kath You can use Massage Tracking Center and input Message ID...

Sample Code Demonstrating How to Populate a Drop Down with Data From an Access DB
I'm looking for some sample code that demonstrates how to use VBS to reach out to Access and populate a drop down on a User Form/Custom Form. ...

Remote access very slow
Hi, We are using outlook 2002 and exchange server 2000, I setup sales people to access outlook via VPN, most of them are using High-speed internet connection, they complain that it takes too long to get in outlook, does anyone here have seen this problem before and get it solved? Really appreicate any idea! Sarah ...

DrawText Method in XAML
Hi, I try to sing class "DrawingContext"in my WPF form(C# 2008), it works (say DrawRectangle), but I found the method "DrawText" its not availible in WPF. How can I find any alternate method, if I wanna to insert some Text in my drawing image file? thx all Hello, > ... but I found the method "DrawText" its not availible in WPF. How did you find it is not there ? Both the doc and the object browser show me this method... -- Patrice ...

option private module
team; I was wondering.. has anyone ever used 'option private module' at the top of a module and can you tell me what it's good for? i keep on getting this error 'compile problem in hidden module' i was thinking that I'll go through and remove this 'option private module' on all of my modules and see if that helps? ...

Converting 97 Access to Access XP
At work I have Office 97 and a database in Access 97 that has been building since sometime in 98 or 99. It has over 11,000 records in it and can not just simply be saved to a diskette. I have to do a back-up to get it from my computer to my co-workers' computers. We are about to have all our computers changed to XP. I have an XP at home and tried once to put the database from work on my home computer but the XP doesn't recognize the backup program. How am I going to get these 11,000 plus records into the XP Access without having to re-enter everything? Surely, there has got to be some ...

Error message syUserInRole returned the following results: DBMS:91
We replaced the hard drives on our server and we detached the smaller of the databases (Dynamics and test) and moved them off server, made a full backup of our production server, then replaced the drives, and rebuilt the array. When that was complete, I moved the smaller dbs to the new array and reattached them, then did a recovery on the production database. Everything seemed to work just fine until we tried to add a new user. Then we got an error message that the dbowner of Dynamics was not assigned (EM said it was), so I ran sp_changedbowner and set the owner to 'sa'. Now we...

Error Message 0x8007007e
After restoring my C drive due to a hard disk crash, I am unable to retrieve email into Outlook. My email filtering program works just fine, but when I try to retrieve my emails into Outlook, it appears that they are all being retrieved until the error message above comes up. It further describes this error as unable to connect to server, etc. Anybody know what's up with this? ...

Publish Customizations Error
Hello, I added some objects to the Scheme Manager and when I assign them to Contacts and try to publish the changes, I get the following error: <Server01>: ***Error*** Failed to download XSL template files from Web Server. Then I check the Event Viewer and find the following error under Application: Event Type: Error Event Source: DMSNAPIN Event Category: None Event ID: 0 Date: 09/09/2005 Time: 14:35:28 User: N/A Computer: <Server01> Description: Web exception Status = ProtocolError Error de HttpGet Unauthorized : The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized....

Private Address Book?
Is it possible, on the server side, to create a restricted address book that only certain users can access, and that covers only a specific OU? I know it can be done via Contacts in Outlook, but I'm looking for a server-side solution. Thanks, Trevor ...

CreateDispatch error
Hello! When Im trying to createdispatch to Excel 10 (office xp) I get the COleException error "Invalid class string". Hope that anyone have an idea why!? This is my code.. ::OleInitialize(NULL); m_pExcel = NULL; m_pWorkBooks = NULL; m_pWorkbook = NULL; m_pSheets = NULL; m_pSheet = NULL; m_pRange = NULL; m_FileIsOpen = false; _Application* m_pExcel = new _Application; COleException *oe = new COleException; // gets this information from the registry. CLSID clsid; ::CLSIDFromProgID(L"Excel.Application.10", &clsid); try{ ...

Is Access 2000 still OK to develop in?
Hi I retired at the end of 2006 and am now thinking of doing some database consultancy work using MS Access. Can I successfully use Access 2000 or do I really (and I mean really) need to upgrade to Access 2007? If so what are the new features that forum members believe I can't do without?! Thanks ACCESS 2000 (be sure that you've updated it to SP3) is still used by many people. Databases that you develop using it usually can be used by people with later versions, and usually with few problems. However, there are many new features that were introduced in the later versions tha...

Access 2007 and Access demand
Access is a wonderful DB. Looking for general discussion here. Those who participate here appear to LOVE Access..I do. Dice.com has new discussion boards. J2EE and .Net have "demand", but others there say not so. So..for many of us, Access is our Profession. It appears a recession is soon. The best way to find work now is??? I've been Programming Access for years for 2 major companies, the work still is there, but the hours are decreasing. Would looking to program Access at smaller companies be wise...I saw that 78% of USA companies have 25 or less employees. TIA - B...

users have access to all mailboxes
After recently updating server current patches, no Exchange updates, users access to all mailboxes. The restriction is still in place for admins, (if you are a member if both the Exchange Domain serves and one of the Admin groups, you will not have access to the other mailboxes) Operating system, Win2K SP4, Exchange 2K Enterprise SP3. "Don" wrote: > After recently updating server current patches, no Exchange updates, users > access to all mailboxes. The restriction is still in place for admins, (if > you are a member if both the Exchange Domain serves and one of the ...

Calendar Printing Assistant
I am currently using Calendar Printing Assistant with Outlook 2007. I cannot seem to be able to "mask" my private appointments when I print a calendar using CPA. Does anyone have a suggestion? ...

Convert Excel code to work in Access
Hello, I am trying to automate Excel with Access and have been trying to convert this Excel code to work from Access. Sub DoIt1() ' ' This macro places a shape ,triangle, on the selected sheet to make a "Please wait sign". ' Application.ScreenUpdating = True With Sheet2.Shapes("AutoShape 6") .Visible = msoTrue = (Not Sheet2.Shapes("AutoShape 6").Visible) End With With Sheet2.Shapes("AutoShape 6") .Visible = msoFalse = (Not Sheet2.Shapes("AutoShape 6").Visible) ...

Probem: the access database grows too fast...
Hello everybody, I have a problem with an access database (access 2003) which grows up. The size after repairing is about 75MB. The Operating system is win 2003 + sp This database contains about 250 tables and 2300 queries. There is no code and no form. Data are used through VB/VBA code for reading needs or for reading/writing/creating. The object used to access the base is DAO v3.6, so, the workspace is on the user workstation. I have the same database on 2 sites and the code executed doesn't have any difference. The problem about the size is present only on one site. On this site, ...