change a reference variable

Hi,

After the following statements, can I change i to be a reference to k?
Thanks.  Tony

int j, k;
int& i = j; // make i to be a reference to j

0
tony6018 (73)
5/8/2004 2:05:51 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>After the following statements, can I change i to be a reference to k?

Yes.

int j, k;
j = 0;
k = 1;
int& i = j;
// i now refers to j (0)
i = k;
// i now refers to k (1)

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
0
>>After the following statements, can I change i to be a reference to k?
>
>Yes.

What am I talking about? A reference can't be changed - only
initialised.

Scrub my stupid last reply.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
0
davidl7375 (2060)
5/8/2004 1:20:33 PM
After reading your reply, I thought I had it all wrong after so many years.
(I tend to use const ref most of the time.)

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

"David Lowndes" <davidl@example.invalid> wrote in message
> >>After the following statements, can I change i to be a reference to k?
> >
> >Yes.
>
> What am I talking about? A reference can't be changed - only
> initialised.
>
> Scrub my stupid last reply.
>
> Dave

ajaykalra (6842)
5/8/2004 2:39:25 PM
>After reading your reply, I thought I had it all wrong after so many years.

Dunno where my brain was - I was probably euphoric because it's
Saturday morning :)

I must admit that I've only ever used a reference for a function
parameter, and like you - mostly const.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
0
davidl7375 (2060)
5/8/2004 4:17:56 PM
I was certain about the reply but I was actually waiting for Doug to give a
detailed response.

--

> >After reading your reply, I thought I had it all wrong after so many
years.

> Dunno where my brain was - I was probably euphoric because it's
> Saturday morning :)
>
> I must admit that I've only ever used a reference for a function
> parameter, and like you - mostly const.
>
> Dave

ajaykalra (6842)
5/8/2004 5:33:10 PM
In article <409C407F.2030109@srac.com>, tony@srac.com says...
> Hi,
>
> After the following statements, can I change i to be a reference to k?
> Thanks.  Tony
>
> int j, k;
> ..
> int& i = j; // make i to be a reference to j

Not in C++.  If you really think that's a good idea, track down an
Algol 68 compiler and try it out.  My guess is that after about the
third time you do it, you'll decide Bjarne had the right idea. :-)

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

jcoffin1 (194)

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

Referring to a portion of a column
Knowing that $A:$A can be used in a worksheet function to refer to all cells in column A. Is there a way to refer to all cells below a starting point? (i.e., I want to CountA() all cells below my header rows). I can't just subtract the number of header rows because the CountA() of those varies. -- Thanks, LewisM The best way to do this is to make a self adjusting defined name range insert>name>define>name it something like colA in the refers to box =offset($a$1,0,0,counta($a:$a),1) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com ...

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Obtain Row reference via VLOOKUP()
Using XL 2000 & 2003 Now sure of the most efficient way to get a Row reference on Sheet1 from "Sheet2" using VLOOKUP() Vlookup() will find the cell in a table-range on sheet2. I do not need the contents of the cell in that lookup-table, just its row number as text. I do know how to use Vlookup() In short, the logic (not the syntax) of the formula I need help with is: =CellRowAsText(Vlookup(table on sheet2)) TIA Dennis Try using MATCH =MATCH(C1,A1:A100,0) If your table doesn't start in row 1 then either adjust your MATCH array to do so, or make an adjustment ba...

Change a formula to an acual number

Refering to lowest record in select subquery
HI All, In the subquery below how would I refer to the lowest 3 orderID? Thanks in advance for any help SELECT Orders.CustomerID, Orders.OrderDate, Orders.OrderID FROM Orders WHERE Orders.OrderID IN (SELECT TOP 3 OrderID FROM Orders AS Dupe WHERE Dupe.CustomerID = Orders.CustomerID ORDER BY Dupe.OrderDate DESC, Dupe.OrderID DESC) ORDER BY Orders.CustomerID, Orders.OrderDate, Orders.OrderID ORDER BY Dupe.OrderDate DESC, Dupe.OrderID ASC) You might need to remove " Dupe.OrderDate DESC, "...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

Need to reference a block of cells from another sheet.
Dear All, apologies if this is probably a mundane question, but I didn't know what 'search terms' to put in google to return any results.. I've got a Spreadsheet with 12 tabs (sheets), I need part of tab 12 (sheet) to appear on tabs 1-11 (sheets), so that if I change data in tab 12 (sheet), tabs 1-11 (sheets) are changed too.. the cells themselves will never move location, just the data within them.. Is it possible? Regards Paul. On your sheet1 select the cell that should receive the data from Sheet12; Hold down the Shift key and Click on Sheet11 << this shoul...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Tracking Changes

Save Changes? #2

Count if formula with two variables
Hello, Am trying to figure out a formula in a cell to analyse data in tw columns. One column will have a referance and the frequency of th corresspomnding data in the other column need to be counted -- shrikan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- shrikant's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=474 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=123405 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i attach an example. "shrikant" wrote: > > Hello, > > Am trying to figure out a formula in a cell to analyse dat...

colour change of dated box