Can I Merge Card Symbols (Clubs, Diamonds, etc) with a Font that doesn't have them

I am trying to output text that contains the card symbols for clubs,
diamonds, hearts and spades.  The are in the Unicode sequence as
\x2660,\x2661, etc,  My app is a VS.NET 2005 newly created project and TCHAR
is defaulting to two bytes.

In a CListCtrl I draw the lines of text but the card symbols show up as
empty little squares.  I have a font picker for the list and it appears that
the default font when the app starts up is Tahoma!

If I change the font used by the list control to Arial, then the card
symbols appear correctly, so I assume that the Tahoma doesn't have the card
symbols.

When I go to print, the default font for printing is Times New Roman and
sure enough the card symbols appear on the printout.

I  would prefer to allow any font to be used so my question is, can I merge
the glyphs for clubs, diamonds, hearts and spades into the font that is
used.  Since I'm handling the font specification for the list I could create
a new font which is a copy of a user chosen font with the four symbols
merged in.

Ed
--
Edward E.L. Mitchell
Phone: (239)415-7039

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You have to select a font which has these symbols; the default font does not have them.
Arial Unicode MS is one such font.

Just create a CFont variable and set the font.  Subclass the CListCtrl and handle this in
the PreSubclassWindow:

void CMyListCtrl::PreSubclassWindow()
   {
    CListCtrl::PreSubclassWindow();
    LOGFONT lf;
    CFont * f = GetFont();
    ASSERT(f != NULL);
    f->GetLogFont(&lf);
    StringCchCopy(lf.lfFaceName, sizeof(lf.lfFaceName)/sizeof(TCHAR), _T("MS Arial
Unicode"));
    // CFont font;  is declared in the subclass header
    if(!font.CreateFont(&lf))
      { /* failed to create */
       ... deal with error
      } /* failed to create */
     SetFont(&font);
    }

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:40:22 -0500, "Edward Mitchell" <EELMitchell@newsgroup.nospam>
wrote:

>I am trying to output text that contains the card symbols for clubs,
>diamonds, hearts and spades.  The are in the Unicode sequence as
>\x2660,\x2661, etc,  My app is a VS.NET 2005 newly created project and TCHAR
>is defaulting to two bytes.
>
>In a CListCtrl I draw the lines of text but the card symbols show up as
>empty little squares.  I have a font picker for the list and it appears that
>the default font when the app starts up is Tahoma!
>
>If I change the font used by the list control to Arial, then the card
>symbols appear correctly, so I assume that the Tahoma doesn't have the card
>symbols.
>
>When I go to print, the default font for printing is Times New Roman and
>sure enough the card symbols appear on the printout.
>
>I  would prefer to allow any font to be used so my question is, can I merge
>the glyphs for clubs, diamonds, hearts and spades into the font that is
>used.  Since I'm handling the font specification for the list I could create
>a new font which is a copy of a user chosen font with the four symbols
>merged in.
>
>Ed
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
11/28/2006 3:29:24 AM
Joe,

Thanks for the feedback and the code.  It looks like I have to live with the
Arial font.  That works fine.

It would be nice to have red diamonds and hearts but I think that would get
too complicated.

Ed

> You have to select a font which has these symbols; the default font does
> not have them.
> Arial Unicode MS is one such font.
>
> Just create a CFont variable and set the font.  Subclass the CListCtrl and
> handle this in
> the PreSubclassWindow:
>
> void CMyListCtrl::PreSubclassWindow()
>   {
>    CListCtrl::PreSubclassWindow();
>    LOGFONT lf;
>    CFont * f = GetFont();
>    ASSERT(f != NULL);
>    f->GetLogFont(&lf);
>    StringCchCopy(lf.lfFaceName, sizeof(lf.lfFaceName)/sizeof(TCHAR),
> _T("MS Arial
> Unicode"));
>    // CFont font;  is declared in the subclass header
>    if(!font.CreateFont(&lf))
>      { /* failed to create */
>       ... deal with error
>      } /* failed to create */
>     SetFont(&font);
>    }
>
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:40:22 -0500, "Edward Mitchell"
> <EELMitchell@newsgroup.nospam>
> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to output text that contains the card symbols for clubs,
>>diamonds, hearts and spades.  The are in the Unicode sequence as
>>\x2660,\x2661, etc,  My app is a VS.NET 2005 newly created project and
>>TCHAR
>>is defaulting to two bytes.
>>
>>In a CListCtrl I draw the lines of text but the card symbols show up as
>>empty little squares.  I have a font picker for the list and it appears
>>that
>>the default font when the app starts up is Tahoma!
>>
>>If I change the font used by the list control to Arial, then the card
>>symbols appear correctly, so I assume that the Tahoma doesn't have the
>>card
>>symbols.
>>
>>When I go to print, the default font for printing is Times New Roman and
>>sure enough the card symbols appear on the printout.
>>
>>I  would prefer to allow any font to be used so my question is, can I
>>merge
>>the glyphs for clubs, diamonds, hearts and spades into the font that is
>>used.  Since I'm handling the font specification for the list I could
>>create
>>a new font which is a copy of a user chosen font with the four symbols
>>merged in.
>>
>>Ed
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

If you are displaying them in restricted contexts, this is easy.  Just
SetTextColor(RGB(255,0,0)).

If you need to display other material, you can simply tear the string apart, find the
heart, diamond, etc. symbols, do TextOut of whatever precedes them, select the font and
text color you want, output the symbol, and then revert back and output any remaining
text.  Takes maybe an hour or two to code.
					joe

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:25:32 -0500, "Edward Mitchell" <EELMitchell@newsgroup.nospam>
wrote:

>Joe,
>
>Thanks for the feedback and the code.  It looks like I have to live with the
>Arial font.  That works fine.
>
>It would be nice to have red diamonds and hearts but I think that would get
>too complicated.
>
>Ed

>> You have to select a font which has these symbols; the default font does
>> not have them.
>> Arial Unicode MS is one such font.
>>
>> Just create a CFont variable and set the font.  Subclass the CListCtrl and
>> handle this in
>> the PreSubclassWindow:
>>
>> void CMyListCtrl::PreSubclassWindow()
>>   {
>>    CListCtrl::PreSubclassWindow();
>>    LOGFONT lf;
>>    CFont * f = GetFont();
>>    ASSERT(f != NULL);
>>    f->GetLogFont(&lf);
>>    StringCchCopy(lf.lfFaceName, sizeof(lf.lfFaceName)/sizeof(TCHAR),
>> _T("MS Arial
>> Unicode"));
>>    // CFont font;  is declared in the subclass header
>>    if(!font.CreateFont(&lf))
>>      { /* failed to create */
>>       ... deal with error
>>      } /* failed to create */
>>     SetFont(&font);
>>    }
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:40:22 -0500, "Edward Mitchell"
>> <EELMitchell@newsgroup.nospam>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to output text that contains the card symbols for clubs,
>>>diamonds, hearts and spades.  The are in the Unicode sequence as
>>>\x2660,\x2661, etc,  My app is a VS.NET 2005 newly created project and
>>>TCHAR
>>>is defaulting to two bytes.
>>>
>>>In a CListCtrl I draw the lines of text but the card symbols show up as
>>>empty little squares.  I have a font picker for the list and it appears
>>>that
>>>the default font when the app starts up is Tahoma!
>>>
>>>If I change the font used by the list control to Arial, then the card
>>>symbols appear correctly, so I assume that the Tahoma doesn't have the
>>>card
>>>symbols.
>>>
>>>When I go to print, the default font for printing is Times New Roman and
>>>sure enough the card symbols appear on the printout.
>>>
>>>I  would prefer to allow any font to be used so my question is, can I
>>>merge
>>>the glyphs for clubs, diamonds, hearts and spades into the font that is
>>>used.  Since I'm handling the font specification for the list I could
>>>create
>>>a new font which is a copy of a user chosen font with the four symbols
>>>merged in.
>>>
>>>Ed
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
11/29/2006 3:33:17 PM
I was trying to avoid the owner draw mode and just supply the TCHAR string.
However, I've done an owner draw text in a control before so it should be
possible.  I'll leave it until I get some user feedback on the ranking of
changes to the UI.

Ed

> If you are displaying them in restricted contexts, this is easy.  Just
> SetTextColor(RGB(255,0,0)).
>
> If you need to display other material, you can simply tear the string
> apart, find the
> heart, diamond, etc. symbols, do TextOut of whatever precedes them, select
> the font and
> text color you want, output the symbol, and then revert back and output
> any remaining
> text.  Takes maybe an hour or two to code.
> joe
>

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:25:32 -0500, "Edward Mitchell"
> <EELMitchell@newsgroup.nospam>
> wrote:
>
>>Joe,
>>
>>Thanks for the feedback and the code.  It looks like I have to live with
>>the
>>Arial font.  That works fine.
>>
>>It would be nice to have red diamonds and hearts but I think that would
>>get
>>too complicated.
>>
>>Ed
>>

>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>> You have to select a font which has these symbols; the default font does
>>> not have them.
>>> Arial Unicode MS is one such font.
>>>
>>> Just create a CFont variable and set the font.  Subclass the CListCtrl
>>> and
>>> handle this in
>>> the PreSubclassWindow:
>>>
>>> void CMyListCtrl::PreSubclassWindow()
>>>   {
>>>    CListCtrl::PreSubclassWindow();
>>>    LOGFONT lf;
>>>    CFont * f = GetFont();
>>>    ASSERT(f != NULL);
>>>    f->GetLogFont(&lf);
>>>    StringCchCopy(lf.lfFaceName, sizeof(lf.lfFaceName)/sizeof(TCHAR),
>>> _T("MS Arial
>>> Unicode"));
>>>    // CFont font;  is declared in the subclass header
>>>    if(!font.CreateFont(&lf))
>>>      { /* failed to create */
>>>       ... deal with error
>>>      } /* failed to create */
>>>     SetFont(&font);
>>>    }
>>>
>>> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:40:22 -0500, "Edward Mitchell"
>>> <EELMitchell@newsgroup.nospam>

>>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
>>> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Actually, it isn't owner-draw; that would mean the parent of the control did the drawing.
Using a CStatic subclass and writing your own OnPaint would work, but that is not an
owner-draw control, just a control that has its own OnPaint handler.

Note that MFC got rid of the concept of "owner draw" by reflecting the WM_DRAWITEM message
back down to the subclassed control via the virtual DrawItem method, so the controls
become the much saner "self drawing" controls.
				joe
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:37:28 -0500, "Edward Mitchell" <EELMitchell@newsgroup.nospam>
wrote:

>I was trying to avoid the owner draw mode and just supply the TCHAR string.
>However, I've done an owner draw text in a control before so it should be
>possible.  I'll leave it until I get some user feedback on the ranking of
>changes to the UI.
>
>Ed

>> If you are displaying them in restricted contexts, this is easy.  Just
>> SetTextColor(RGB(255,0,0)).
>>
>> If you need to display other material, you can simply tear the string
>> apart, find the
>> heart, diamond, etc. symbols, do TextOut of whatever precedes them, select
>> the font and
>> text color you want, output the symbol, and then revert back and output
>> any remaining
>> text.  Takes maybe an hour or two to code.
>> joe
>>

>> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:25:32 -0500, "Edward Mitchell"
>> <EELMitchell@newsgroup.nospam>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Joe,
>>>
>>>Thanks for the feedback and the code.  It looks like I have to live with
>>>the
>>>Arial font.  That works fine.
>>>
>>>It would be nice to have red diamonds and hearts but I think that would
>>>get
>>>too complicated.
>>>
>>>Ed
>>>

>>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message

>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

fonts #3
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I just installed Office 2008 and now the fonts are all messed up. I've read that office makes a new file for Microsoft fonts in computer/library/fonts. Can I move all those fonts straight into the fonts folder or do I need both folders? All the fonts in the fonts folder (not MSfonts) are in my Font Book, but Word doesn't seem to find them. I don't have any in the user file, since I am the only one using the computer, it was just easier to put all into the computer/library/fonts folder. Can you help me? &quo...

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Can not archive

Reading the all messages in my own font
Hi, I want to read all the messages ( plain / html / rtf ) in my own font ( Arial 12 ). Is there any setting I can do for that. I saw one configuration to set the font while composing message. So in a html message, my message in Arial 12, if somebody reply (if they have arial 10), the message which I am viewing is having both the fonts. But I want both to be in a single which is of my choice. I know this is possible with mozilla mail client. Is this possible with outlook 2000 SR1? Rgds, Ramesh. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com...

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...

Can you convert picture into Visio?
Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? It would depend on what format the picture was in. For most cases, this is not an easy task. John... Visio MVP "tbae" wrote: > Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? ...

Can you....
Can you create a text box that pops up when you try to exit excel? would like a box that reminds people to fill out parts of a form whe they try to exit the workbook. Any ideas would be great -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This code goes in the ThisWorkbook section of the VB Editor. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Dim iResponse As Long iResponse = MsgBox("Did you enter everything? Click No to return an finish.", vbYesNo) If iResponse = 7 Then Cancel = True End Sub If the user clicks No, the application will not close. You coul modify...

Can you freeze columns in a list box?
I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the same in a list box? I have a list box that displays 30 columns of information. It would be helpful if the first 4 didn't have to disappear when you scroll to the right. "agene" <agene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AAE32B2-E08F-4F7F-9C5E-8B9CD2F806AE@microsoft.com... >I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on > the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the sa...

Can we Pop Cash drawer without slip printer?
We would like to install a cash drawer and have RMS pop the drawer without using a slip printer with a cash drawer connection port. We currently use an HP Laser printer connected to the serial port of our computer to print full sized receipts and I called Indiana Cash drawer to find out what type of interface we would need to get the program to "pop" the drawer and their support said I need to find out what code the software is sending to the drawer. According to RMS the SL, SLD and EL models are compatible but RMS does not indicate what type of interface is needed short of the OPO...