Calling sysdm.cpl from MFC....

Hello once again,
Today I am here asking if anyone has ever called SYSDM.cpl from an MFC
program.
I have written my application to invoke sysdm.cpl from a button inside the
About Dialog box.
To be honest, I was being lazy and rather than define a bunch of system
related fields for a "systems Information" type of display, I thought I could
simply pop open the system dialog box.

This all works fine one time. When I click the button subsequent times,
nothing appears to happen. The click is processed, and the call is executed,
but that is all I have seen.

Here is the code fragment I have been working with.

/*
	The User is inquiring on their system.
*/
void CAboutDlg::OnBnClickedAboutSystem()
{
	PFN_ENTRY pfnEntryPoint=NULL;
	HINSTANCE hInstance=AfxGetInstanceHandle();
	HMODULE hModule=AfxLoadLibrary(_T("Shell32.dll"));
	if (hModule)
#ifdef _UNICODE
		pfnEntryPoint = (PFN_ENTRY) GetProcAddress(hModule, "Control_RunDLLW");
#else
		pfnEntryPoint = (PFN_ENTRY) GetProcAddress(hModule, "Control_RunDLLA");
#endif
	if (pfnEntryPoint)
		pfnEntryPoint(m_hWnd, hInstance, "sysdm.cpl,,0", SW_SHOW);
	AfxFreeLibrary(hModule);
}

This same code seems to work fine multiple times if I use ncpa.cpl or
timedate.cpl.
I just can't seem to get sysdm.cpl running more than one.
If I close the About Dialog, and re-open it, the system information does work.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try here?

Thanks,

0
CameronC (28)
12/4/2008 1:02:01 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Cameron_C" <CameronC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello once again,
> Today I am here asking if anyone has ever called SYSDM.cpl from an MFC
> program.
> I have written my application to invoke sysdm.cpl from a button inside the
> About Dialog box.
> To be honest, I was being lazy and rather than define a bunch of system
> related fields for a "systems Information" type of display, I thought I
> could
> simply pop open the system dialog box.
>
> This all works fine one time. When I click the button subsequent times,
> nothing appears to happen. The click is processed, and the call is
> executed,
> but that is all I have seen.
>
> Here is the code fragment I have been working with.
>
> /*
> The User is inquiring on their system.
> */
> void CAboutDlg::OnBnClickedAboutSystem()
> {
> PFN_ENTRY pfnEntryPoint=NULL;
> HINSTANCE hInstance=AfxGetInstanceHandle();
> HMODULE hModule=AfxLoadLibrary(_T("Shell32.dll"));
> if (hModule)
> #ifdef _UNICODE
> pfnEntryPoint = (PFN_ENTRY) GetProcAddress(hModule, "Control_RunDLLW");
> #else
> pfnEntryPoint = (PFN_ENTRY) GetProcAddress(hModule, "Control_RunDLLA");
> #endif
> if (pfnEntryPoint)
> pfnEntryPoint(m_hWnd, hInstance, "sysdm.cpl,,0", SW_SHOW);
> AfxFreeLibrary(hModule);
> }
>
> This same code seems to work fine multiple times if I use ncpa.cpl or
> timedate.cpl.
> I just can't seem to get sysdm.cpl running more than one.
> If I close the About Dialog, and re-open it, the system information does
> work.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas I could try here?
>
> Thanks,

Have you debugged this and ensured that pfnEntryPoint() is indeed called the
second time?  If so, perhaps you should pass NULL for the first parameter
(and not m_hWnd).  The fact that it works if you open the About dialog anew
(with a different HWND) may have something to do with it.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/4/2008 2:52:28 AM
"Cameron_C" <CameronC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello once again,
> nothing appears to happen. The click is processed, and the call is
> executed,
> but that is all I have seen.
>
> Here is the code fragment I have been working with.
>
> void CAboutDlg::OnBnClickedAboutSystem()
> {
> PFN_ENTRY pfnEntryPoint=NULL;
> HINSTANCE hInstance=AfxGetInstanceHandle();
> HMODULE hModule=AfxLoadLibrary(_T("Shell32.dll"));
> if (hModule)
> #ifdef _UNICODE
> pfnEntryPoint = (PFN_ENTRY) GetProcAddress(hModule, "Control_RunDLLW");
> #else
> pfnEntryPoint = (PFN_ENTRY) GetProcAddress(hModule, "Control_RunDLLA");
> #endif
> if (pfnEntryPoint)
> pfnEntryPoint(m_hWnd, hInstance, "sysdm.cpl,,0", SW_SHOW);
> AfxFreeLibrary(hModule);
> }

I tried this code and got the same result as you (the function is called on
every click, and I stepped into the assembler and found that at some point
it simply returns without calling any familiar OS funcs. Certainly not
Shell32.dll - it never went in there (unless I accidentally skipped over
something).

So my guess is that it's simply a bug in the sysdm.cpl applet. Perhaps they
had some problems with double-clicks re-opening the dialog and as a quick
fix decided to just return if hwnd happened to be a repeat...

Further evidence:
-----------------
I tried it from control panel (which can re-open) and noticed something
unusual: If you look VERY carefully you'll notice that for a split-second it
seems as if a little window opens up just before sysdm.cpl is re-launched
(but not the first time!). I am guessing that control panel has dealt with
this problem with it's own counter-hack of creating a temporary HWND to
override the applet's double-click hack bug-fix. Then they just kill the
temp window after launch (it's a blocking call so they probably need to kill
the window in another thread). I could try to get a screenshot, but it
happens very fast, and it's such a tiny little window you can barely make it
out... you know, it almost reminded me of one of those little thought
balloons... (of course wouldn't that be the most handy piece of code to cut
and paste into your message handler if you're working on "Control Panel"?
lots and lots of balloons in that code, so why not?)

// pseudo-code:
CBalloon balloon;
balloon.CreateWindow(...);
balloon.RunAsync();
pfCallSysDm(balloon.m_hWnd,....);

// balloon thread:
case WM_TIMER:
  if(++nCount == 10)
      DestroyWindow();

That sort of thing. ...and nobody should notice!

Just go and try it, you'll probably see it unless your computer is
exceptionally fast. Also you'll notice the keyboard focus switch away and
back to control panel during this interval.

I didn't see any of this behaviour for the other links there, so that's my
theory and potential work-around.

- Alan Carre

0
alan314 (63)
12/4/2008 6:24:11 AM
Thank you David.
I appreciate the effort.
Yep, I traced it through. And it does execute twice.
I guess it is just peculiar behaviour.

Thanks again.

"David Ching" wrote:

> "Cameron_C" <CameronC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello once again,
> > Today I am here asking if anyone has ever called SYSDM.cpl from an MFC
> > program.
> > I have written my application to invoke sysdm.cpl from a button inside the
> > About Dialog box.
> > To be honest, I was being lazy and rather than define a bunch of system
> > related fields for a "systems Information" type of display, I thought I
> > could
> > simply pop open the system dialog box.
> >
> > This all works fine one time. When I click the button subsequent times,
> > nothing appears to happen. The click is processed, and the call is
> > executed,
> > but that is all I have seen.
> >
> > Here is the code fragment I have been working with.
> >
> > /*
> > The User is inquiring on their system.
> > */
> > void CAboutDlg::OnBnClickedAboutSystem()
> > {
> > PFN_ENTRY pfnEntryPoint=NULL;
> > HINSTANCE hInstance=AfxGetInstanceHandle();
> > HMODULE hModule=AfxLoadLibrary(_T("Shell32.dll"));
> > if (hModule)
> > #ifdef _UNICODE
> > pfnEntryPoint = (PFN_ENTRY) GetProcAddress(hModule, "Control_RunDLLW");
> > #else
> > pfnEntryPoint = (PFN_ENTRY) GetProcAddress(hModule, "Control_RunDLLA");
> > #endif
> > if (pfnEntryPoint)
> > pfnEntryPoint(m_hWnd, hInstance, "sysdm.cpl,,0", SW_SHOW);
> > AfxFreeLibrary(hModule);
> > }
> >
> > This same code seems to work fine multiple times if I use ncpa.cpl or
> > timedate.cpl.
> > I just can't seem to get sysdm.cpl running more than one.
> > If I close the About Dialog, and re-open it, the system information does
> > work.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas I could try here?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> Have you debugged this and ensured that pfnEntryPoint() is indeed called the
> second time?  If so, perhaps you should pass NULL for the first parameter
> (and not m_hWnd).  The fact that it works if you open the About dialog anew
> (with a different HWND) may have something to do with it.
>
> -- David

0
CameronC (28)
12/4/2008 1:29:01 PM
Thanks Alan.
Maybe I should just not be so lazy!

As another interesting tidbit, I do the same thing with the clock.
It appears to be fine, however, the first time the clock dialog opens, there
are three tabs. Subsequent openings show only two tabs. The Internet Clock
does not appear.
And again, once I close the About Box, and re-open it, then click on the
Time button, all three tabs show up again.
I appreciate your time and effort here.

"Alan Carre" wrote:

> [...]
> balloons... (of course wouldn't that be the most handy piece of code to cut
> and paste into your message handler if you're working on "Control Panel"?
> lots and lots of balloons in that code, so why not?)
>
> // pseudo-code:
> CBalloon balloon;
> balloon.CreateWindow(...);
> balloon.RunAsync();
> pfCallSysDm(balloon.m_hWnd,....);
>
> // balloon thread:
> case WM_TIMER:
>   if(++nCount == 10)
>       DestroyWindow();
>
> That sort of thing. ...and nobody should notice!
>
> Just go and try it, you'll probably see it unless your computer is
> exceptionally fast. Also you'll notice the keyboard focus switch away and
> back to control panel during this interval.
>
> I didn't see any of this behaviour for the other links there, so that's my

0
CameronC (28)

Playing .WAV files using MFC
Hi, I want to play .WAV files using MFC. I searched the MSDN and foud PlaySound(...), but when I want to compile the program I get "Unresolved Externals" error. I saw some wrapper classes implemented by members at code project, but the are too coplicated for my purpose which to play a small file when the application starts. Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance. look for multimedia functions in msdn prefixed with wave ...... like waveOutOpen ...... this link is interesting ..... wave play with multithreading ... http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/g-m/multimedia/audio/article.php/c88...

visual studio c++ .net 2005 and mfc?
I've been using VC++ 6.0 and MFC for a few years now and I'm planning to get VC++ .NET 2005 when it comes out. I've heard MFC will be included in VC++ 2005, but I haven't been able to find anything about it on Microsoft's site. Which versions will it be included in? I know it's not in the Express version. If MFC will be included, where can I find what changes there will be? Will MFC continue to be supported in the future? If anyone's got a direct link to any MFC and VC++ .NET 2005 information please post it. And I'm so confused to which product line has ...

More Unicode woes
Hi, I have another Unicode-related problem. I have an MFC application that calls and MFC dll. At startup, the app calls AfxLoadLibrary to load the DLL and in ExitInstance calls AfxFreeLibrary to unload it. Now, this works fine for both Unicode and ASCII builds, but there's a strange problem in the Unicode debug version. When I start the program, in the output window I see: 'myprog.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfc71ud.dll', Symbols loaded. Fine, the Unicode debug MFC dll is loaded. But, When I do the AfxLoadLibrary, I see: 'myprog.exe': Loaded 'U:\MyP...

MFC Printing issue #3
Thanks to all for the answers. I actually managed to reach the solution by "mixing" GDI and GDI+'s coordinates systems. On the GDI part, I set the viewport and window extents accordingly to my needs of the moment (it's an app that supports multiple forms of view, like always scale to fit or drag and zoom), and, when I need to scroll the printing view, I use a GDI+ transformation: Matrix matrix; CPoint cp = GetDeviceScrollPosition(); matrix.Translate(-cp.x / GetZoomScale(), -cp.y / GetZoomScale(), MatrixOrderAppend); graphics.SetTransform(&matrix); With that is sol...

Are MFC FTP classes limited to 32bit file sizes?
I have found that when using the GetLength member of the CFtpFileFind class that the filezizes are limited to 4GB (0xFFFFFFFF). Now I know that in old versions of MFC, GetLength only returned a DWORD and one needed to use the Getlength64 function. However I am using VS2008 and GetLength returns a ULONGLONG. I then heared about a possible bug in MFC so I derived a class from CFtpFileFind so that I would be able to see the actual WIN32_FIND_DATA used. And indeed the low order DWORD is set to 0xFFFFFFFF and the high order DWORD is set to 0x00000000. I know that this is not a server issue...

DISPLAY BITMAP, GIF, JPG in MFC
I am displaying a bitmap in MFC at the moment, but have how got gifs and jpgs that I want to show in the same place and I am not sure how best to do it. My code is as follows for showing bmp: HANDLE handle(::LoadImage(AfxGetInstanceHandle(), "C:\image.bmp", IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0, LR_LOADFROMFILE)); if (handle) { m_bitmap.DeleteObject(); VERIFY(m_bitmap.Attach((HBITMAP)handle)); BITMAP bi; ::ZeroMemory(&bi, sizeof(bi)); m_bitmap.GetBitmap (&bi); } This shows bmps nicely, but now I have a gif. any ideas?!?!?!?!? On Feb 20, 7:28 am, phil.jac...@starlizard.com ...

add a picture to MFC view
Hi, Anybody know how to add a existing picture to MFC view, the picture already in c:\, thanks a lot! -ja Hi, // First load image; HANDLE hImage = ::LoadImage( AfxGetInstanceHandle(), lpszFileName, IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0, LR_LOADFROMFILE); // Then, pass it to CBitmap; CBitmap bmp; bmp.Attach(hImage); // Get sizes; BITMAP b; bmp.GetObject(sizeof (b), &b); // Create in-memory device for client area of the view CDC mdc; mdc.CreateCompatibleDC(NULL); // Now use bmp, b, mdc and your view's dc to draw the picture. -- ====== Arman "ja" wrote: > Hi, &...

captions / linked text boxes / call-outs. None of these do the jo
Hi I want to link a piece of text to a textbox which I can then move around the screen with an arrow attached between the text and the textbox. Scenario I have some text, I draw a textbox and arrow between the two. I go further up in the document type some text and the textbox, arrow and text all become disconnected and I have to mess about for ages reconnecting them. If you can recommend an add-in for this if the functionality is not within Word itself. Something similar to Visio (not a viso embedded doc as none of the formatting is kept). thanks I also want the exa...

Message which is called everytime a CFormView is created
Hallo, I have a program with a CSplitterWnd which divides 2 CFormViews. See link: http://wwwstud.fh-zwickau.de/~pafe/geb/1.jpg When I start the program the ListBox (CListView) on the right side gets filled in the method OnInitialUpdate(). When I navigate through the tree then the views on the right side are replaced. When I come back to the element, that displays the form with the List-Box, my ListBox is not filled with the data I provide in OnInitialUpdate. See link: http://wwwstud.fh-zwickau.de/~pafe/geb/2.jpg Now my question is: Where do I have to put the code (what message do I have to ...

VC++ MFC to VC++ 7.0 w/ MFC 7
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C3D9AD.F0EEB050 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm in the process of moving my code base to Visual Studio .Net 2003 = using VC++ w MFC 7.0. The code complies correctly but the linker is not = resolving what appears to be CString entry points, e.g.,=20 CookieField.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: = void __thiscall CString::MakeLower(void)" (?MakeLower@CString@@QAEXXZ) = referenced in function "protected: vo...

Using ADO.NET with exisitng MFC Application
Hi Friends, Please help me for make a solution for the following problem : - I would like to use SQL server 2000 with my exisitng MFC based data acquision/presentation application. I prefer to use the ADO.NET as the interface (with new its nice design and features). As an experimental purpose i just compiled MFC application with /clr switch. (planning to add ADO.NET connectivity code). Is it a good way to proceed this way? The code compiled "fine" but doesn't run (but it took 5times more than the actual compilation time. ) It breaks most the calls with toolbars class...

ASSERT on calling AfxBeginThread
Hi all, I'm migrating a serverapplication from VC6 (non-MFC) to VC7 (MFC). The situation is as follows: The application is a serverapplication, whichs starts a new thread for each client that connects to it. The thread handles the communication and handling of commands the client sends to it. This all used to work fine in VC6, but now as soon as I start a thread I get an assertion failure in afxtls.h: inline void* CThreadSlotData::GetThreadValue(int nSlot) { EnterCriticalSection(&m_sect); --> ASSERT(nSlot != 0 && nSlot < m_nMax); .... } When I check the Locals I see ...

Service Call Mgt Notes erro
We are using GP 10 Service Call Management and are getting an error when trying to save a hotline note on an existing service call. A save operation on table "SV_Records_Notes_MSTR'failed converting the retrieved data. Tried copying the notes - then deleted the note field - got the blank note icon - saved the exising notes - still got the same hotline error. Anybody have any thoughts ...

phone call
how do u make a phone call from your headphones in outlook What version of Outlook, what type of modem are you using? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer yerermiah <y_fari@msn.com> asked: | how do u make a phone call from your headphones in outlook outlook xp.... lucent win modem "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OkC1h5up...

::SetWindowsHookEx(WH_CBT, ...) returns Access is denied when called from Win 2003 IIS.
VS 2008 Windows 2k3 Server We have an ActiveX control that is quite complex. The ActiveX control uses MFC controls and windows to display it's elements. We need the functionality in the ActiveX control to be available from a Web UI. We have a C# back end that instantiates an Out-of-proc COM server. The Out-of-proc COM server, creates some hidden windows to house the ActiveX control and then creates the ActiveX control and passes to it whatever request the C# back end sent. While creating the ActiveX control, Wincore.cpp::AfxHookWindowCreate(CWnd*) gets called. This function cal...

The Post Callout don't call the service component
Hi Did someone develop an integration solution for MS CRM and other application or database using Callout procedure? I did all steps is described in article "Business Logic Extensions to Microsoft CRM 1.2: Post-Callouts", but I can't call my .NET component from MS CRM. I haven't any result. I need an advise. Thanks I did all the steps described in the MS article and got it to work WHEN I run directly on the server. However, running from a client it doesn't work. I probably need to setup a domain account on the server to run it undedr. Rgds, Per >-----Origi...

CRM Rollup 1: KB 911022. You call that a solution?
Hey folks, The CRM rollup 1 describes one of their patches that solves the problem of not being able to restrict the exporting or printing function. KB article 911022 (which is included in the rollup 1 of the CRM). Describes a method in which you have to create an alternate database, and have the registry key point to this db when doing printing or exporting. Well, I've done that, but it doesn't take a smart person to figure out that when a user runs a query in the crm, then goes to export that data, it's only as good as the last time the true CRM was backed up, and res...

How to call Web Service Securely
I love Web Apps in ASP.NET 2.0 because you can easily deny users access to pages by role or user. But for desktop client to webservice methods, I am not sure what to do.... I am looking for the simplest and safest method or pattern to have my Desktop client be able to call a web services securely. Assume my webservice proxy has 15 methods. By securely, I want the Client desktop app to pass some kind of simple username/password token -- something - but not in plain text - so that acces to the web call either immediately succeeds or fails. I don't know where to start - what is...

Does anyone know if I can rebuild mfc class
Hi, I am trying make some changes to dbcore.cpp file and rebuild it. Does anyone know if I can do that or not. thank, Hallo Bhavin! > I am trying make some changes to dbcore.cpp file and rebuild it. Does > anyone know if I can do that or not. 3 possibilities: 1. Make the change, create a new static build on your machine and link your MFC program statical. 2. Create your private MFCnn.DLL build with a different name and your change. you find the fully documented makefiles in the MFC SRC directory. But BTW, you need to do some changes here if you change the name. (T...

Call dylib function from VBA
Is it possible to call a function of a dylib (dynamic library) from VBA? Can you post an example showing how it is done? I would also like to know the equivalent for AppleScript Thanks Not on the Mac, as far as we know. On 28/7/07 7:47 PM, in article 2007072812174216807-grishames@yahooes, "Grishames" <grishames@yahoo.es> wrote: > Is it possible to call a function of a dylib (dynamic library) from VBA? > Can you post an example showing how it is done? > I would also like to know the equivalent for AppleScript > > Thanks > -- Don't wait...

Photo Slideshow in mfc
I need to make a desktop application wherein I display a slideshow of photos (these pics reside on a web server). Since a friend of mine has already developed a web based slideshow, I have two ways to go about it, (1) Use the html control inside the mfc application and display the whole thing on HtmlControl using web APIs. or (2) Use CImage and Picture Box - display the images after retreiving them from the web server..this would provide more control in the hands of the desktop application user - but could someone tell me what would be the best way to go about the second technique - without us...

Access Databases, MFC and VS2005 #2
Okay. I'm going to try and ask this as succinctly as possible. When using an Access database in my apps, I've had to derive a recordset for each table. Before you laugh, consider that there are all of 3 tables in each, and each of those has less than 20 columns. My preferred way of using this techniques is to use the wizard to create a class derived from CRecordset and indicate the desired table in the dialogs. It works well but it's a lot of code, particularly if I want to do anything relational between tables. I have read and re re re read the MS docs, but I cannot see...

Calling Addin function?
Hello, I created an addin for excel, work find when in the spreadsheet... but now I want to be able to call my functions from within VBA? The addin is loaded? How can I do this? Thanks, Brian -- Please remove the 123 from the EMAIL Address. This has been added to prevent spamming. pssssst! Here spammer, spammer, spammer. pyramid@ftc.gov, bbroder@ftc.gov, jcheezum@uspis.gov, fraud@uspis.gov Hi Brian! If you set a reference to it you can call it just like the function is in the subject workbook. Tools > References Check against your Addin. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Exce...

Does MFC supports IPv6 ?
Hi, I am converting one application from IPv4 to IPv6. The application is usign MFC socket class CSocket and CAsyncSocket. ::: My Query ::: 1. When I compile my application for IPv6 by defining IPV6STRICT. I am getting errors in Afxsock.h. I believe CSocket and CAsyncSocket (for MFC 4.2) doesn't support IPv6. Please reply if this is true. 2. How can I make sure that CSocket and CAsyncSocket supports IPv6. ? or 3. How can I include IPv6 support for CSocket and CAsyncSocket classes. ? ::: Some Backgroud ::: 1. I am using VS 6.0 with service pack 6. 2. I am using XPSP-2 SDK. Pleas...

who compiles MFC source code and generates a new mfc42.dll successfully?
if anyone succeed, tell me how to do it, please. thanks a lot! Why? joe On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:39:43 +0800, "wenming hu" <wenming_hu2002@hotmail.com> wrote: >if anyone succeed, tell me how to do it, please. > >thanks a lot! > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm Joseph M. Newcomer <newcomer@flounder.com> bored us with: > Why? Well, one reason is that sometimes a shop likes to tailor the UI controls and an easy way to do this is modify MFC and then give i...