book recommendations for beginner

I'm a VB programmer and I'm fairly good at ANSI c++.  I want to learn
visual c++ and from some of the reading I've done, I gathered that MFC
is the place to start.

What's a good introductory book to learn how to program with MFC?  I
already know C++ and I'm fairly familiar with the internals of Windows,
messages, window classes, etc.  I need something to put it all in the
MFC/ATL context.  Is there a standarish text, kind of like "The C
Programming Language," for learning visual c++/MFC.  I'd like to get a
book that'll give me a good grasp on the fundamentals.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

adolfo

0
adolfox (2)
10/20/2006 12:58:33 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

A very good at the time was "Developing Professional Applications in
Windows 95 and Nt Using Mfc" by Marshall Brain & Lance Lovette:

http://tinyurl.com/y446zv

If you are still using VC++ 6.0, this book is still excellent. For .NET
and similar new features added to Windows development you may want to
look at a newer edition.

HTH,
Victor

adolfox wrote:
> I'm a VB programmer and I'm fairly good at ANSI c++.  I want to learn
> visual c++ and from some of the reading I've done, I gathered that MFC
> is the place to start.
>
> What's a good introductory book to learn how to program with MFC?  I
> already know C++ and I'm fairly familiar with the internals of Windows,
> messages, window classes, etc.  I need something to put it all in the
> MFC/ATL context.  Is there a standarish text, kind of like "The C
> Programming Language," for learning visual c++/MFC.  I'd like to get a
> book that'll give me a good grasp on the fundamentals.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestion.
>
> adolfo

0
vc6 (6)
10/20/2006 2:13:28 PM
I have always recommened Prosise's MFC book (2nd Edition) for
beginners. This has nothing to do with ATL, which is a different
framework. For ATL, one of the excellent text is by Troelsen.

---
Ajay

adolfox wrote:
> I'm a VB programmer and I'm fairly good at ANSI c++.  I want to learn
> visual c++ and from some of the reading I've done, I gathered that MFC
> is the place to start.
>
> What's a good introductory book to learn how to program with MFC?  I
> already know C++ and I'm fairly familiar with the internals of Windows,
> messages, window classes, etc.  I need something to put it all in the
> MFC/ATL context.  Is there a standarish text, kind of like "The C
> Programming Language," for learning visual c++/MFC.  I'd like to get a
> book that'll give me a good grasp on the fundamentals.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestion.
>
> adolfo

0
ajaykalra (6842)
>I have always recommened Prosise's MFC book (2nd Edition) for
> beginners.

I'll second that recommendation and also state that either edition is great.

>This has nothing to do with ATL, which is a different
> framework. For ATL, one of the excellent text is by Troelsen.

I prefer "Inside ATL" by Shepherd and "Inside DCOM" by Eddon.  I also like
"ATL Internals" by Rector and Sells.

-Pete

Pete Delgado wrote:
> "Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I have always recommened Prosise's MFC book (2nd Edition) for
> > beginners.
>
> I'll second that recommendation and also state that either edition is great.
>
> >This has nothing to do with ATL, which is a different
> > framework. For ATL, one of the excellent text is by Troelsen.
>
> I prefer "Inside ATL" by Shepherd and "Inside DCOM" by Eddon.  I also like
> "ATL Internals" by Rector and Sells.

I have couple of  these as well. ATL Internals is for advanced user. I
believe a 2nd edition is out now(or was out sometime ago). I wasnt
particularly impressed with Shephard's book, especially after his MFC
Internals, which I thought was OK. I think Troelsen's book is written
very well because he talks about COM for C/C++ programmers without any
ATL for a long while. He then introduces ATL to do the same. Its really
a book about COM and then ATL to do the same.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
10/20/2006 6:17:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the recommendations.  I bought two of the books
recommended here.

Thanks again.

adolfo

Ajay Kalra wrote:
> Pete Delgado wrote:
> > "Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >I have always recommened Prosise's MFC book (2nd Edition) for
> > > beginners.
> >
> > I'll second that recommendation and also state that either edition is great.
> >
> > >This has nothing to do with ATL, which is a different
> > > framework. For ATL, one of the excellent text is by Troelsen.
> >
> > I prefer "Inside ATL" by Shepherd and "Inside DCOM" by Eddon.  I also like
> > "ATL Internals" by Rector and Sells.
> >

> I have couple of  these as well. ATL Internals is for advanced user. I
> believe a 2nd edition is out now(or was out sometime ago). I wasnt
> particularly impressed with Shephard's book, especially after his MFC
> Internals, which I thought was OK. I think Troelsen's book is written
> very well because he talks about COM for C/C++ programmers without any
> ATL for a long while. He then introduces ATL to do the same. Its really
> a book about COM and then ATL to do the same.
>
> ---
> Ajay

0
adolfox (2)