Async Pluggable Protocol

Can I create an Asynchronous Pluggable Protocol to simply launch an external
program ?

What I'm trying to do is when the user enters a url or clicks on a link like

myapp:xyz

A call will be made to my DLL and then depending on what xyz is I will
launch an external EXE.

0
michael876 (39)
11/8/2008 9:19:20 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What is an "asynchronous pluggable protocol" and how would anyone find out what this
means?

Under what context would this apply?

Why do you need to launch an external .exe? (Note: this is a clear security violation in
any number of contexts, and in any sane world it would be forbidden for a browser to
launch an arbitrary .exe)

You just asked a question without any useful context.
				joe

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 13:19:20 -0800, "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.newsgroups.com>
wrote:

>Can I create an Asynchronous Pluggable Protocol to simply launch an external
>program ?
>
>What I'm trying to do is when the user enters a url or clicks on a link like
>
>myapp:xyz
>
>A call will be made to my DLL and then depending on what xyz is I will
>launch an external EXE.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
11/8/2008 11:32:42 PM
"Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.newsgroups.com> wrote in message
> Can I create an Asynchronous Pluggable Protocol to simply launch an
> external program ?
>
> What I'm trying to do is when the user enters a url or clicks on a link
> like
>
> myapp:xyz
>
> A call will be made to my DLL and then depending on what xyz is I will
> launch an external EXE.

I'm not sure it's the same thing, but see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260840 for a sample on writing a MIME
filter.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
11/10/2008 6:33:41 AM
Joe,

> What is an "asynchronous pluggable protocol" and how would anyone find out
> what this
> means?

Regarding the "How" part of your question: Google comes to mind. It will
direct you to the full MSDN chapter of info about the subject.

Serge.
http://www.apptranslator.com - Localization tool for your MFC applications

> What is an "asynchronous pluggable protocol" and how would anyone find out
> what this
> means?
>
> Under what context would this apply?
>
> Why do you need to launch an external .exe? (Note: this is a clear
> security violation in
> any number of contexts, and in any sane world it would be forbidden for a
> browser to
> launch an arbitrary .exe)
>
> You just asked a question without any useful context.
> joe
>
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 13:19:20 -0800, "Michael Tissington"
> <michael@nospam.newsgroups.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Can I create an Asynchronous Pluggable Protocol to simply launch an
>>external
>>program ?
>>
>>What I'm trying to do is when the user enters a url or clicks on a link
>>like
>>
>>myapp:xyz
>>
>>A call will be made to my DLL and then depending on what xyz is I will
>>launch an external EXE.
>>

> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

serge69 (63)
11/10/2008 10:57:51 AM
Michael,

It's right there in the docs:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa767914(VS.85).aspx

HTH,

Serge.
http://www.apptranslator.com - Localization tool for your MFC applications

"Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.newsgroups.com> wrote in message
> Can I create an Asynchronous Pluggable Protocol to simply launch an
> external program ?
>
> What I'm trying to do is when the user enters a url or clicks on a link
> like
>
> myapp:xyz
>
> A call will be made to my DLL and then depending on what xyz is I will
> launch an external EXE.

0
serge69 (63)

mail routing protocol
what protocol does exchange use to route internal mail? On 15 Feb 2007 18:50:28 -0800, "totalnet32" <totalnet32@hotmail.com> wrote: >what protocol does exchange use to route internal mail? Between servers? SMTP in Exch 200x. ...

Returned Mail: Remote Protocol Error
Need a little help troubleshooting email that is being returned to AOL users. Here is the message they receive when their email is returned. Thank you in advance. ----- Transcript of session follows ----- .... while talking to mail.wauwatosa.net.: >>> DATA <<< 500 5.5.0 Syntax error - line too long 554 ... Remote protocol error Final-Recipient: RFC822; username@wauwatosa.net Action: failed Status: 5.5.2 Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.wauwatosa.net Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 500 5.5.0 Syntax error - line too long Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:00:47 -0400 (EDT) Do you ha...

Http ---> Protocol(XML) ---> Http Content
Hi there, My web server needs to get html source of a web page from a remote web server . This html will be rendered to client browser after some processing. I know it can be done via XMLHTTP object but I am looking towards a .Net complaint solution, which is part of default .Net framework.(No third party component please). I am using C# with visual studio 2003 .Net framework 1.1 on windows XP OS. Any help is regarded. Thanks. Shahzad Atta wrote: > My web server needs to get html source of a web page from a remote web > server . This html will be rendered to client browser af...

why i cant see smtp pop3 protocols
hi after i install exchange 2003 on windows 2003 server, i open "exchange system manager", the problem is 1- i can't open "first storage group" the text erroe is " THE ACTION COULD NOT BE COMPLETED BECAUSE THE MICROSOFT EXCHANGE INFORMATION STORE SERVICE IS UNAVAILABLE , BE SURE THE SERVICE IS RUNNING AND YOU HAVE NETWORK CONNECTIVITY TO THE MICROSFOT EXCHANGE SERVER " 2-and when i open "protocols" ,i see just X.400 protocol , there is no pop3,imapi4,smtp,http....protocols. any help!! Well, is the store available? On Sat, 15 May 2004 14...

Async Web Service Abort Question
We are working in C#/Winforms and are using asynchronous client-side web service calls (the Begin... and End... methods supplied by the web reference creation). Many of these calls are contained in Windows forms that the user can close before the web service call has completed. This seems to be working fine, but I wanted to check to see if anyone has experienced any problem with this. Specifically this is what I need to know: Is it safe to allow a Windows form which contains a non-static web-service callback method to be closed before the web-service has completed and therefore bef...

the connection was dropped due to an smtp protocol event sink #2
I have a bunch of emails that are stuck in the queue only to one domain. This started a couple of days ago. I send info to this domain all the time so I know it use to work (charter.net). There are no events logged and when I click on the queue, it displays the message "the connection was dropped due to an smtp protocol event sink". And the good 'ole reboot didn't help. Exchange 2003 on Server 2003 with all service packs applied. Thanks. Anything in the SMTP logs that might provide more information? Nue "Rob T" <RTorcellini@DONTwalchemSPAM.com>...

Getting error 'The underlying connection was closed: The server committed an HTTP protocol violation'
Hi all, I am having application where i am downloading xml content using webrequest. my code is as below HttpWebRequest lWebRequest = (HttpWebRequest) WebRequest.Create(URL); HttpWebResponse lWebResponse = (HttpWebResponse) lWebRequest.GetResponse(); StreamReader lResponseStream = new StreamReader(lWebResponse.GetResponseStream(),enc); Data = lResponseStream.ReadToEnd(); lWebRequest = null; lWebResponse.Close(); IResponseStream.Close(); Here i am getting rss feeds using webrequest. Then i am loding rss that is data using xmldocument.load. when i am trying to change node of rss using ...

Setting Default protocol access
I'd like to set new users to have POP3 disabled by default. I've written a script to disable everyone who's already in AD, but don't want to run the script later becasue we have a service account with a special case need for POP, and I don't want that to be disabled on accident later. Is this possible? Thanks, if nobody needs POP3 you could just turn of the service on Exchange so even though it is "enabled" for all users it isn't accessible anyway. Of course if you need a few folks to have POP access this won't work "Jacob M. Ross" <...

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

RPC over HTTPS protocol preferences
Hello all, I just posted something on RPC earlier today but I have another that hopefully someone can help me out with. Is there a way to have Outlook automatically connect via TCP/IP when inside of the office and then connect using RPC over HTTPS while outside the office. Any combination of checking "On Fast networks...", "On slow networks..." does not seem to allow this to occur since most folks have high speed connections from home. Outlook will automatically toggle. My RPC users connection type changes when they are VPN'd in to WAN PPTP from RPC. C...

The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
Hello, Today noticed large email queue on SBS2003, cannot send emails to any outside domain, and in addiditional queue information i see this message - The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink. Our SBS2003 is used for email recieving and sending, no external smart hosts and server is behind firewall. Looks like our internal AD DNS is working fine, i can recieve recrusive answers from DNS(cheked with nslookup), also i can connect with telnet to port 25 to any mail server in queue, also i can connect to my server from interet with telnet on port 25. I ena...

Outlook and processing of Asynchronous Pluggable Protocol URL
I created a handler to my own protocol. i registered everything in the system.... The requirements in the specification of the project were to make this protocol look like this: my_protocol:///show?comething=1&something2=2 and so on. The most problematic thing are 3 slashes which are transformed into 2 slashes by outlook before URL is passed to my handler via shell as parameter. The other problem is that in this case another slash is added before question mark. anyway transformed URL looks like this: my_protocol://show/?comething=1&something2=2. The number of slashes after protocol nam...

Protocol Timeout
I am having an issue with getting emails to our exchange servers from outside the US. We have noticed this so Far from Mexico and from shanghai. The emails from Shanghai are coming up and saying that Waiting for protocol initiation... Wed 2007-01-31 11:24:15: 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded. Wed 2007-01-31 11:24:15: This message is 65 minutes old; it has 0 minutes left in this queue Wed 2007-01-31 11:24:15: Primary queue lifetime exceeded; message placed in retry queue We are running Exchange 2003 SP2 in a cluster with and Front End and back end servers. Any answers wo...

how to enable POP3 protocol for a particular mailbox?
Hi everyone, while the POP3 protocol is enabled on the Server level, how to automatically disable the protocol on all mailboxes, except one mailbox? I run Exchange Enterprise 5.5 on Windows 2000. According to a MS Exchange book, "it is not possible to disable a particular Internet protocol at the server level and then enable it again selectively for a few mailboxes by using the mailbox properties. If you want to enable Internet protocol support for only a few users, you must diasable the protocols for all other mailboxes instead." My mailbox server has 500 mailboxes and I need to e...

Getting the browser to recognize my protocol handler #2
Hi all, We can get the browser to recognize our protocol handler? Like YMessager Protocol. ...

pluggable xml
Hello, In Java the XML DOM is interface based, hence pluggable implementations. In ..NET it's been in from the start of course and is class based, but I notice there appear to be some alternate implementations appearing, eg xerces has been ported, and Saxon 8 .NET for XSLT 2.0 support (which if it's like Java will have a DOM implementation optimised for the XSLT processor). If I want to provide a public API which takes an XML Document (DOM), is there a relatively clean way to allow pluggable DOM implementations, all that occurs to me initally is to write/steal DOM interfaces and prov...

Ndis protocol driver and windows 7
Hello all, I have a protocol driver that works perfect in windows XP, and Vista, but in the Windows 7 I cant make it binds the same way. If I use the protocol after the machine have booted from a hard drive, its all ok, everything looks just fine, but if I try to boot from my virtual disk ( network backed ) the protocol simply dont bind. I receive a NetEventBindsComplete, but the bind never occur. I have checked the protocol name and all this kind of stuff, and cant find any clue, and as I said, the problem its just when booting, if the machine boots from another disk the bind occur...

Re: Protocol message
I'm having a problem sending my resume out of my yahoo address. I get a protocol error. I have my server as yahoo but i have Verizon for my internet service. Is it a Yahoo PLUS account? Must be for POP access, otherwise you have to use the Yahoo webmail. Copy and paste the error message for further advice. "Donna Lomagro" <purpletulips65@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uhFBUflvKHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I'm having a problem sending my resume out of my yahoo address. I get a > protocol error. I have my server as yahoo but i have Veri...

Async error
I'm not sure exactly when this has happened. When I 'Test Access' I get 503 errors. I restarted the Async service and noticed the below error in the event log. I noticed a similar issue at; http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.crm/browse_thread/thread/48a444a5e2ce116b I did not import the organisation, nor update the async table manually. I ran the script on the database and it returned 31,874 records. Im not quite sure what that means though. Any help greatly appreciated. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMAsyncService Event Category: None Event ID: ...

NTP (Network Time Protocol)
Which (MFC) class I can use to access NTP (Network Time Protocol)? If there is no support in MFC for NTP, is there some open source/freeware solution? Thank you. Oliver, The only MFC classes that will be of any use is the socket ones. In other words, there is no support for NTP in MFC. I don't know of any open source/freeware solutions, but the spec for NTP can be found in RFC958. "Oliver Young" <none> wrote in message news:%23Deib3nrDHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > > Which (MFC) class I can use to access NTP (Network Time Protocol)? If > the...

Windows 7: 1394 async boardcast recipient sends response
When a 1394 node on mine network broadcast a async package to all the nodes in the network, mijn windows 7 machine responds with a RCODE_ADDRESS_ERROR, but no acknowledge is send by the machine. When i read the 1394 specs it is states that no node should respond on a broadcast message. A broadcast message is a message where the destination Id is set to 63. What am I doing wrong? ...

SMTP Connector Errors: Event Protocol Sink
Can anyone assist . I am running MSexchangeServer 2003 on SBS 2003,but I have never been able to use the SMTP connector to send mail to my smart host at my ISP. The connector retains the following Messages,1.Connection was dropped due to SMTP protocol event sink..2. The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt. A NDR appears at the client side(users in the network running OUTLOOK 03) with error 5.5.0 or error 550 Sending junk to postmaster.. I need to be able to relay through my ISP and all my ISP tells me is the name of the smtp server(smart host).. Can somebody pliz he...

Protocol: HTTPMail
why it outlook express does not let me check mmy may and comes with this error message: Protocol: HTTPMail Port: 0 Secure(SSL): 0 Code: 80004005 "erni" <caguamo80@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:053501c36781$d9b4c210$a601280a@phx.gbl > why it outlook express does not let me check mmy may > and comes with this error message: Protocol: HTTPMail > Port: 0 > Secure(SSL): 0 > Code: 80004005 Repost your query to a newsgroup for Outlook Express. This newsgroup is for Outlook. Outlook and Outlook Express are NOT the same product nor are the...

How to use relative file:// protocol in html resource used by CDHTMLDialog?
Howdy, I'm writing a C++ CDHTMLDialog based application in VS .net. Of course I have an HTML resource that contains the html code for display by CDHTMLDialog (which wraps the Webrowser control). I understand how to reference program resources in my HTML using the res: protocol, but I'm having trouble getting the file: protocol to work with relative references. For example, if my embedded HTML resource includes this absolute path in my htmlcode it works fine: < IMG src="file:///C:\Documents and Settings\jim\My Documents\temp\CHtmlApp\Debug\ugly2.bmp" > But if I pu...

multi thread required for async sockets?
I am going to have a client app that will connect to multiple servers for data. Data will come every second, if I am not connected the data will get lost. Thus I need to keep the socket connected at all times. Can I just use one thread with an array of async sockets without fear of data going into the wrong place? You will have to derive a class from CAsycSocket so that you can receive the data (you receive the data by calling Receive within the OnReceive method). What you do with the data has nothing to do with the number of threads in your program. AliR. "amccombs" <...