?? Continual Open/Write/Close to CSTdioFile -- is there a better way

Hi

I have an error log file (CStdioFile) to which I am logging errors using the WriteString method.  However, if the program terminates prematurely, the file is empty (presumably due to lack of a Close being executed) and hence I can't see the key information that my program wrote to the file just prior to crashing

I think that I can explicitly Open the file (using CFile::modeCreate  | CFile::modeNoTruncate) each time prior to writing a message, then write the message, and then close the file.  However, this seems like a lot of unnecessary OS interaction

Is there a way to write messages to the file, and have them actually updated to disk, without a continual Open/Close for each message?

I thought the Cfile::Flush might be an option, but MSDN documenation indicates that it writes any remaining data from the buffer to the file, and elsewhere I read that WriteString writes the complete buffer to the file (so I don't think flushing will buy me anything)

Any suggestions about an efficient way to proceed?

thanks

Bruce
0
anonymous (74718)
6/8/2004 3:21:04 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Bertrand" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an error log file (CStdioFile) to which I am logging errors using
the WriteString method.  However, if the program terminates prematurely, the
file is empty (presumably due to lack of a Close being executed) and hence I
can't see the key information that my program wrote to the file just prior
to crashing.

> I think that I can explicitly Open the file (using CFile::modeCreate  |
CFile::modeNoTruncate) each time prior to writing a message, then write the
message, and then close the file.  However, this seems like a lot of
unnecessary OS interaction.

> Is there a way to write messages to the file, and have them actually
updated to disk, without a continual Open/Close for each message??

> I thought the Cfile::Flush might be an option, but MSDN documenation
indicates that it writes any remaining data from the buffer to the file, and
elsewhere I read that WriteString writes the complete buffer to the file (so
I don't think flushing will buy me anything).

> Any suggestions about an efficient way to proceed??
>
> thanks,
>
> Bruce

I'd be interested if anyone finds my answer wrong.

I had to do a similar thing recently. For each logging event
I opened, wrote, and closed the file.
I also checked each time if the log had got too big
and if so, front end truncated it.

I certainly didn't notice any more disk activity or
untoward consequences or loss of normal performance.

So unless someone comes up with something better
I'd say go for it.

0
pcjREMOVE (26)
6/8/2004 3:49:50 PM
Bertrand wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an error log file (CStdioFile) to which I am logging errors using the WriteString method.  However, if the program terminates prematurely, the file is empty (presumably due to lack of a Close being executed) and hence I can't see the key information that my program wrote to the file just prior to crashing.
>
>I think that I can explicitly Open the file (using CFile::modeCreate  | CFile::modeNoTruncate) each time prior to writing a message, then write the message, and then close the file.  However, this seems like a lot of unnecessary OS interaction.
>
>Is there a way to write messages to the file, and have them actually updated to disk, without a continual Open/Close for each message??
>
>I thought the Cfile::Flush might be an option, but MSDN documenation indicates that it writes any remaining data from the buffer to the file, and elsewhere I read that WriteString writes the complete buffer to the file (so I don't think flushing will buy me anything).
>
>Any suggestions about an efficient way to proceed??

Use Flush.

--
Doug Harrison
Microsoft MVP - Visual C++
Doug Harrison [MVP] wrote:

>Bertrand wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have an error log file (CStdioFile) to which I am logging errors using the WriteString method.  However, if the program terminates prematurely, the file is empty (presumably due to lack of a Close being executed) and hence I can't see the key information that my program wrote to the file just prior to crashing.
>>
>>I think that I can explicitly Open the file (using CFile::modeCreate  | CFile::modeNoTruncate) each time prior to writing a message, then write the message, and then close the file.  However, this seems like a lot of unnecessary OS interaction.
>>
>>Is there a way to write messages to the file, and have them actually updated to disk, without a continual Open/Close for each message??
>>
>>I thought the Cfile::Flush might be an option, but MSDN documenation indicates that it writes any remaining data from the buffer to the file, and elsewhere I read that WriteString writes the complete buffer to the file (so I don't think flushing will buy me anything).
>>
>>Any suggestions about an efficient way to proceed??
>
>Use Flush.

In addition, if you're using VC.NET, see CFile::osWriteThrough here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/_mfc_CFile.3a3a.CFile.asp?frame=true

That's not going to be sufficient by itself, because it doesn't turn off the
stdio buffering. Instead of calling Flush, I suppose you could pass your
CStdioFile's m_pStream member to setvbuf to turn off stdio-level buffering
on the file. Then again, I see no indication that CStdioFile supports that,
so the safest approach might be to open the file with CFile::osWriteThrough
and use Flush at appropriate times.

--
Doug Harrison
Microsoft MVP - Visual C++

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:21:04 -0700, "Bertrand" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an error log file (CStdioFile) to which I am logging errors using the WriteString method.  However, if the program terminates prematurely, the file is empty (presumably due to lack of a Close being executed) and hence I can't see the key information that my program wrote to the file just prior to crashing.
>
>I think that I can explicitly Open the file (using CFile::modeCreate  | CFile::modeNoTruncate) each time prior to writing a message, then write the message, and then close the file.  However, this seems like a lot of unnecessary OS interaction.
>
>Is there a way to write messages to the file, and have them actually updated to disk, without a continual Open/Close for each message??
>
>I thought the Cfile::Flush might be an option, but MSDN documenation indicates that it writes any remaining data from the buffer to the file, and elsewhere I read that WriteString writes the complete buffer to the file (so I don't think flushing will buy me anything).
>
>Any suggestions about an efficient way to proceed??
>
>thanks,
>
>Bruce

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
6/8/2004 5:08:46 PM
"Doug Harrison [MVP]" <dsh@mvps.org> wrote in message
> That's not going to be sufficient by itself, because it doesn't turn off
the
> stdio buffering. Instead of calling Flush, I suppose you could pass your
> CStdioFile's m_pStream member to setvbuf to turn off stdio-level buffering
> on the file. Then again, I see no indication that CStdioFile supports
that,
> so the safest approach might be to open the file with
CFile::osWriteThrough
> and use Flush at appropriate times.

I can't find any reference to CFile::osWriteThrough in MSDN Library.
Any clues?

Pat

Thanks to all that replied.  The Flush seems to do the trick (no matter how I kill the program, the data I want to see seems to remain in the file)

I'll keep the open/append/close paradigm up my sleeve just in case :-

bruce
0
anonymous (74718)
6/8/2004 6:11:02 PM
It is worth knowing that Flush now seems to work correctly. In earlier days, all it did
was flush the buffers from the program to the OS, but if the OS crashed, the buffers never
got out to the file system. Or the directory block was corrupted. NTFS is a lot better in
many respects, and this might be one of them.
					joe

> It is worth knowing that Flush now seems to work correctly. In earlier
days, all it did
> was flush the buffers from the program to the OS, but if the OS crashed,
the buffers never
> got out to the file system. Or the directory block was corrupted. NTFS is
a lot better in
> many respects, and this might be one of them.
> joe

Which presumably implies that Bertrand should
test the Flush solution on the oldest OS he expects
his customers to use.

0
pcjREMOVE (26)
6/9/2004 8:54:16 AM
In particular, under failure conditions on a FAT16 or FAT32 file system. Those were
notoriously bad in this regard. I think even modern OSs such as XP still can be installed
in FAT partitions (I have not had a Windows install using FAT since I installed WIndows
3.1 back in the early 1990s, but of course all MS-DOS systems still use it)
				joe

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:54:16 +0100, "Pat Crowe" <pcjREMOVE@mqp.com> wrote:

>> It is worth knowing that Flush now seems to work correctly. In earlier
>days, all it did
>> was flush the buffers from the program to the OS, but if the OS crashed,
>the buffers never
>> got out to the file system. Or the directory block was corrupted. NTFS is
>a lot better in
>> many respects, and this might be one of them.
>> joe
>>

>Which presumably implies that Bertrand should
>test the Flush solution on the oldest OS he expects
>his customers to use.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
6/9/2004 4:10:28 PM
Pat Crowe wrote:

>> It is worth knowing that Flush now seems to work correctly. In earlier
>days, all it did
>> was flush the buffers from the program to the OS, but if the OS crashed,
>the buffers never
>> got out to the file system. Or the directory block was corrupted. NTFS is
>a lot better in
>> many respects, and this might be one of them.
>> joe
>>

>Which presumably implies that Bertrand should
>test the Flush solution on the oldest OS he expects
>his customers to use.

AFAIK, the lazy writer in Win9X and WinNT-based Windows has a latency of
just a few seconds at most. It's application-level buffering that has
indefinite latency. In addition, I don't see why the act of
opening/writing/closing the file would be any better than flushing. In fact,
according to this documentation, it's not as good:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/flushing_system_buffered_i_o_data_to_disk.asp?frame=true

In any event, you can defeat the OS lazy writer by following the suggestion
in my earlier message, which was to open the file with
CFile::osWriteThrough. For pre-VC.NET VC++, you'd have to find a way to use
the equivalent FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH with CreateFile. This means
constructing the CFile from a HANDLE or a CStdioFile from a FILE*,
presumably by going through CreateFile, _open_osfhandle, and _fdopen. There
is also the non-standard "c" open-mode flag for fopen, which you could use
to create the FILE*. The "c" flag causes the fflush function, which
CStdioFile::Flush calls, to call FlushFileBuffers, which commits data
buffered at the OS level to the disk; however, this FlushFileBuffers call is
not necessary if the file was opened with FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH. Note that
CStdioFile::Flush calls fflush; unlike CFile::Flush, which it overrides, it
does not call FlushFileBuffers, nor does it call CFile::Flush. So the act of
calling CStdioFile::Flush does not defeat the OS lazy writer in and of
itself unless the file was opened with CFile::osWriteThrough (VC.NET only),
FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH (CreateFile), or the "c" open-mode (fopen). Whew!

--
Doug Harrison
Microsoft MVP - Visual C++
Pat wrote:

>I can't find any reference to CFile::osWriteThrough in MSDN Library.
>Any clues?

Let me repost the first sentence from my previous message:

>>In addition, if you're using VC.NET, see CFile::osWriteThrough here:
>>
>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/_mfc_CFile.3a3a.CFile.asp?frame=true

I was talking about VC.NET, and I gave you a pointer to the documentation.
The flag was not supported in earlier versions, but you could achieve its
effect by constructing the CFile from a HANDLE or a CStdioFile from a FILE*;
I just posted another message in this thread which expands on that in a more
detail.

--
Doug Harrison
Microsoft MVP - Visual C++

> Pat wrote:
>
> >I can't find any reference to CFile::osWriteThrough in MSDN Library.
> >Any clues?
>
> Let me repost the first sentence from my previous message:
>
> >>In addition, if you're using VC.NET, see CFile::osWriteThrough here:
> >>

>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/htm
l/_mfc_CFile.3a3a.CFile.asp?frame=true

> I was talking about VC.NET, and I gave you a pointer to the documentation.
> The flag was not supported in earlier versions, but you could achieve its
> effect by constructing the CFile from a HANDLE or a CStdioFile from a
FILE*;
> I just posted another message in this thread which expands on that in a
more
> detail.
>
> --
> Doug Harrison
> Microsoft MVP - Visual C++

I can see that in my case I'm going to have to rethink
what the original problem was, and do some more testing.

I suppose that my concern is not knowing the state of a disk file
which, after being written to, had never been closed, because the app
crashed before it had a chance to close the file. If the file on the disk
(say after rebooting) was not conplete up to the point of the crash
(or was even not accessible) then valuable clues might be lost.

I'm not knowledgable enough to be able to guess what the file would
be like in these circumstances.

I apologise if I'm stating the obvious.

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:54:23 +0000 (UTC), "Pat"
<ebooks2goNOSPAM@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I can see that in my case I'm going to have to rethink
>what the original problem was, and do some more testing.
>
>I suppose that my concern is not knowing the state of a disk file
>which, after being written to, had never been closed, because the app
>crashed before it had a chance to close the file. If the file on the disk
>(say after rebooting) was not conplete up to the point of the crash
>(or was even not accessible) then valuable clues might be lost.
>
>I'm not knowledgable enough to be able to guess what the file would
>be like in these circumstances.
>
>I apologise if I'm stating the obvious.

Rethinking the problem might be useful.

In a production problem, the system shouldn't crash (!!) so you don't
have to worry about constantly closing and flushing. I just do it
every few minutes or so, just in case.

To debug a system that crashes, there may well be better methods.
Outputting debug strings to be read by a different process may solve
the problem.  If only your process crashes, the separate debug string
reader should have captured everything.  If your process crashes the
operating system, then that is a different story and there is really
no telling what state your file is going to be in.  Suppose the OS
crashed in the process of updating your log file??!!!

Who do I get Publisher 2003 to open to a blank page?
I'd like to get Publisher 2003 to open to a blank page - no "start" page, no "new publication" dialog box on the left...just click the icon and a plain, blank page opens. silver <silver@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I'd like to get Publisher 2003 to open to a blank page - no "start" > page, no "new publication" dialog box on the left...just click the > icon and a plain, blank page opens. Tools > Options > Uncheck "Use New Publication task pane at startup" > User Assistance &g...

Opening 2007 Excel files in 2003
I have installed the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats (FileFormatConverters.exe). Yet when I attempt to open a 2007 in 2003 it does not open. I get an error stating the ‘file is in an unrecognisable format, but no other message". Any ideas what to do when the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack does not work> Many thanks. Chris Hi, one thing you can do is to save the Excel 2007 file with the extension .html and open this new html file with Excel 2003. "Jedi" <Jedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Open another database from the one you have open
Hi all, I have a requirement to open another database from within the current one I have open, I am trying to do this with a button on a form, I have the following code below but it does not work, the egg timer shows but nothing happen, can anyone help. Thanks Private Sub Command60_Click() Dim accapp As Access.Application Set accapp = New Access.Application accapp.OpenCurrentDatabase "c:\my documents\quality issues log.mdb" accapp.Visible = True End Sub It depends on your needs, but if all you are trying to do is open it and make it available to the user then...

Slow opening Attachments
Hi, Our Outlook 2002 users have a speed problem when opening emails with attachments. (Exchange 5.5 - two servers, one on a 2000 server, one on a NT4 server - NT domain.) Windows 98 users don't seem to have the same problem and can open attachments more quickly. Its not a problem of which server they're on, I don't think it seems to be spread between them. Does Outlook check the attachments as they come in? Both sets of users are running the same version of Anti-Virus. The general network speed seems to be OK. Thanks in advance for any advice. Steve W ...

Closing an excel file causes a .txt file to be generated
This seems to happen with only a few (10) files that have Macros. When you close out of a locally stored excel file (not saving it) a .txt file is generated. I have duplicated this on Excel 97 and 2002. All the .txt file contains is "updating menu". Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks, Jesse ...

File->Open problem
Hi all, I've overridden Serialize() in order to save & load the models that my App creates. If I fire the App up and select File->Open then it throws a file dialog and opens the selected file. If I then create new model using my overridden OnFileNew() then it does as it should. But, if I go to File->Open then it throws a file dialog, lets me select a file and then does nothing. I clearly need to do something else, but am not sure what. Any ideas? Paul. Define "does nothing". For example, did you put a breakpoint in your Serialize() methods and see if they are ca...

Connector Continued ...... [WP]
Thank you for your response. Rich, I have changed the Scope Option to Organization as we only have 1 Routing Group and the IP address is in Sq. brackets as you mentioned. So you are telling me fo rinbound mail I have to create another SMTP connector but I am under the imprssion that the other organization has to create a connector at their end to send us mail????? Why do I need to create a rceiving connectro ... if yes, then please advise how do I create it to receive from this other company? Thank you. you might want to look at these: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319267/en-us h...

A way to set up an email to be sent automatically each week
Is there a way in Outlook 2003 to set up an email to be sent automatically each week? I wasn't sure if there was a way to set up a recurring email, weekly? Thanks for your time. "rrupp" <rrupp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D41DADE-11F9-41BB-962C-3452959F3135@microsoft.com... > Is there a way in Outlook 2003 to set up an email to be sent automatically > each week? I wasn't sure if there was a way to set up a recurring email, > weekly? > > Thanks for your time. > Not without code. Please try our email sche...

Open These Additional Mailboxes
If I want to open an additional mailbox in my Outlook 2003 client and I'm a member of the Domain Admins, and Exchange Admins (thus I'm inheriting explicit DENY rights to the additional mailbox) how can I perform this? The DENY right is being inherited from the Default Exchange Store rights, but I do NOT want to modify the default DENY right for the mailbox store. I added my specific account to the Mailbox Rights in ADUC, but I imagine the DENY right is overridding it. Thanks. ...

Trying to write a formula that changes which worksheet to used
I am trying to write a formula that uses a different worksheet in the current workbook depending on the value from a lookup result and/or the direct entry of a worksheet name in one cell. For instance, if my lookup result is November, I want to pull information from cells on the November worksheet, if December, information from the December worksheet, etc. This way, all I have to do is change the lookup value and/or the entry to get different results based on the appropriate worksheet. This is useful in repetitive activities using the same layout but different numbers. Any help would...

execute code after pop-up form closes
I have this code (below) which opens a pop-up form and then after the form is closed should run 2 sub-routines followed by a requery of the current form; however, what seems to be happening is that the subs and requery happen as soonas the form is opened and not when it is closed... I can see how this makes sense, since afterall, it is doing what I am telling it to do (open the form and then do something else); but this is not how I need it to behave... My hunch is that i need to move the subs and requery to the close event on the pop-up? Any suggestions would be greatly appre...

SQL: Summing By Date Continuously?
Two tables: tblPaymentAccrualDaily SecID PayDate PayAmount 003 01/01/2007 123.97 004 01/01/2007 4250.63 003 01/02/2007 123.43 003 01/03 2007 120.45 003 01/04/2007 119.20 003 01/05/2007 130.44 ...and so on for each and every day tblPaymentSchedule SecID PayDate 003 01/03/2007 003 02/03/2007 003 03/05/2007 003 04/03/2007 What I want to do is present, for a given SecID, the total daily accruals from tblPaymentSchedule.PayDate to the next (actually, the day after one PayDate to the next...

CANNOT open document in Word 97
Was always able to open a .doc, but suddenly, I get: "Word cannot open the document...Try File, Open or ensure has .doc extension." How can I check that it has a .doc extension? And why would this suddenly occur? From where did you obtain the document that you cannot open? How are you trying to open it? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><&...

Can not open file
I have a workbook which I built with vlookups and charts. When I went back today to open it it starts to open then asks if I would like to enable/disable macros. I have done both enable and disable after I hit the button it closes excel down completely. It only does this with this file? Hi sounds like a corrupted file. You may try using OpenOffice (seems to be able to open such files): www.openoffice.org -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Pat Quinn" <pquinn@biolabinc.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:a34001c4d6fa$16da9b90$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have a workbo...

Continuous Numbering
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C44BEC.83ED0450 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How does one invoke continuous numbering when there has been a break and = the numbering starts over again? Word has a drop down menu for this, = but I can't figure out how to do so in Publisher. Bill ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C44BEC.83ED0450 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Tr...

Can I open a csv file with xls extension in Excel 2002?
It works on Excel 97, 2000, but not 2002. Thanks! Does this mean you can't open it via File|Open or by double clicking on the file in windows explorer? Or something else? A little more info will get you a better response. Geoff wrote: > > It works on Excel 97, 2000, but not 2002. > > Thanks! -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

how do I write a formula for?
I want to add e2 thru e7 and e10 thru e14 together into a separate cell and i just can't figure how to write the formula Terry Like this =SUM(E2:E7,E10:E14) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEAB3A99-51ED-4DB7-84B6-9F4C18824CF8@microsoft.com... >I want to add e2 thru e7 and e10 thru e14 together into a separate cell >and > i just can't figure how to write the formula Gosh Thaks Nick, I am no means a master and manage ...

trouble with closed workbook
I have a few spreadsheets that are linked to other workbooks. Everyone says that you cannot get data from a closed workbook. Here is what I have. I have workbook called Journal. In that I have cells that have data in them and are totaled at the bottom of the sheet. I have 4 other workbooks called Quarter's 1 through 4. Once I put the data in the journal and save and close it the data is transferred to the appropriate cells in the workbooks. Even if the journal is closed the quarter still has the data in the cells. I have another one called Budget. That is linked to the...

Opening a PDF link inside of an arriving email on the back ground.
Hello, I do receive fax to my email. Inside of this coming email there is link to a PDF file. I would like to open that pdf link on the background and scan it and if I see certain words in that PDF file, I would like to move it special folder. -- Jeff B Paarsa You'd need a com addin to do this - simple rules won't work. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a week...

Why is it continuously contacting server
I have had to uninstall and reinstall Office 2007. Ever since then, outlook is almost continuously contacting the server. It does this so often that i barely have time to delete messages or even read them. I ran diagnostics and nothing was found. It is running my limited download up to near 90% and I am getting notices from my ISP on this. How can I fix this? "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9703D30-571F-44FE-91D8-ED2CB6A2CC5D@microsoft.com... >I have had to uninstall and reinstall Office 2007. Why? Uninstalling and re-install...

Opening folders on incoming mail
When receiving mail stored in designated folders, how do you automatically open the folder. Folders having unread mail should automatically open. Does anyone know how to set this feature up? >When receiving mail stored in designated folders, how do >you automatically open the folder. You don't. Outlook doesn't have that feature. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn't speak for me. ...

can not open email
When one user open outlook2002 the outlook ask him to enter username,password and domain. After the user input correct information there is dialog says the username or password is incorrect. I use my username and password to logon into our windows 2000 server and Exchange 2000 system from his computer. I can open outlook2002 . I use his username and password logon into our system from my computer,his email can be open without any problem. I don't know what's wrong with his outlook or our server system. Who can help me? I got it at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

Year-end close for modules not used
2007 was our first year on GP and we are currently only using A/P and GL, but I'm wondering if we need to run the year-end close processes for other modules that we're not using (Inventory, Sales, etc.)? Generally, if you're not using the modules, you don't need to worry about closing them -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "Sam Kirstein" <Sam Kirstein@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BE835E8-2B12-4218-91AB-71F26D746C12@microsoft.com... > 2007 was our first year on GP and we are currently only using A/P and GL...

Outlook can't open folders
User was disabled about a month ago. Need to access messages in the mailbox, but when I enable the account in AD and set up Outlook profile, it says it can't access the folders any longer. Is there some time period after which Exchange can no longer access a mailbox in the store? I've even tried accessing the mailbox from a Domain Admin account which has full rights on the Exchange mailboxes. Thanks, Tom tom.robbins@firstsouthnc.com On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:33:23 -0500, "Exchange Groups" <tomweho@hotmail.com> wrote: >User was disabled about a month ago. N...

Continuous Form, Window Top Record Ordinal
On continuous view forms, there should be a form property that has the recordset ordinal of the top-most record currently displayed in the form’s window. For example, if a recordset contains 100 records and the CurrentRecord is 5 and the user scrolls down until the CurrentRecord disappears off the top of the screen, what is the recordset ordinal for the record that is now at the top of the window? Left clicking on the scrollbar slider will display “Record: x of y”, but there should be a property that contains the value of x for code purposes. Perhaps call it “WindowTopRecord...