Using Outlook Object Lib while Outlook is running

Running VB6 on Win7 x64.

Is there a way of getting my vb6 app to be able to use the outlook 11
object lib while outlook 2003 is running?

   Set olk = New Outlook.Application

works fine when outlook is not running on my machine, but when I have
Outlook 2003 running, I get "ActiveX component can't create object"

Is there a way of letting this be shared?

David

In article <MPG.264e21f767ef30e19896fe@news.onecommunications.net>,
ns_dkerber@ns_warrenrogersassociates.com says...

> Running VB6 on Win7 x64.
>
> Is there a way of getting my vb6 app to be able to use the outlook 11
> object lib while outlook 2003 is running?
>
>    Set olk = New Outlook.Application
>
> works fine when outlook is not running on my machine, but when I have
> Outlook 2003 running, I get "ActiveX component can't create object"
>
> Is there a way of letting this be shared?

This seems to work fine on a different machine with 32-bit XP.  So now
the question is:  is it Win7, or 64-bit that is killing me?

David
5/7/2010 6:22:00 PM
"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_warrenrogersassociates.com> wrote in message
> Running VB6 on Win7 x64.
>
> Is there a way of getting my vb6 app to be able to use the outlook 11
> object lib while outlook 2003 is running?
>
>   Set olk = New Outlook.Application
>
> works fine when outlook is not running on my machine, but when I have
> Outlook 2003 running, I get "ActiveX component can't create object"
>
> Is there a way of letting this be shared?

Try calling GetObject first.  Use error trapping.  Then if olk is Nothing, create new instance.

air code example

On Error Resume Next
set olk = GetObject(,"Outlook.Application")
On Error GoTo EH  'normal error handling

If olk Is Nothing Then
    Set olk = New Outlook.Application
End If

--
Mike

0
MikeD
5/7/2010 7:55:51 PM
After serious thinking David Kerber wrote :
> Running VB6 on Win7 x64.
>
> Is there a way of getting my vb6 app to be able to use the outlook 11
> object lib while outlook 2003 is running?
>
>    Set olk = New Outlook.Application
>
> works fine when outlook is not running on my machine, but when I have
> Outlook 2003 running, I get "ActiveX component can't create object"
>
> Is there a way of letting this be shared?

Contrary to how most the other MSO apps work, Outlook does not allow
multiple instances of itself. We can't create a 'New' instance of it
when it's already running, and so we're forced to 'hijack' a running
instance if there is one OR create our own instance if not. Hijacking a
user's instance of any app is a risky affair that is generally not
recommended, but in this case M$ gives us no choice. Thus, MikeD's
advice is mandatory when trying to automate Outlook.

To add to that advice, I suggest you use a 'flag' (i.e.:
bNewOlkInstance) so your app knows if you hijacked a running instance
or not. In this case, you want to leave it running if already in use.
Otherwise, if you create your own instance you'll probably want to shut
it down when you're done with it if you have no reason for turning it
over to the user. In either case your object refs need to be destroyed
when no longer needed (standard cleanup<g>).

Regards,
Garry

0
GS
5/7/2010 9:36:55 PM
I forgot to mention that you should also move MikeD's 'Set...= New...'
statement into the previous error handler the GetObject() is in in case
Outlook was not installed.

here's a function I use to determine how to proceed based on whether
the MSO app I'm trying to automate is available or even installed. Note
that this is a stand-alone test (using 'late binding') that cleans up
after itself, and so is not designed to actually create the instance
you will use. If it returns TRUE then you can automate however you
like. The test allows you to take advantage of 'early binding' at
design time (as is the case indicated by you here) and avoid raising an
error if you persist to use that code at runtime.

Public Function bOutlookAvailable() As Boolean

  'These could also be module level or global
  Dim bWasRunning As Boolean
  Dim olApp As Object

  On Error Resume Next
    'Attempt to get a reference to a currently open
    'instance of Outlook.
    Set olApp = GetObject(, "Outlook.Application")
    'If this fails, attempt to start a new instance.
    If olApp Is Nothing Then
        Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
        'If this fails then Outlook is not installed.
    Else
        'Otherwise flag that Outlook was already running
        'so that we don't try to close it.
        bWasRunning = True
    End If
  On Error GoTo 0

  'Return the result of the test.
  If Not olApp Is Nothing Then
    'If we started Outlook here we need to close it.
    If Not bWasRunning Then olApp.Quit
    Set olApp = Nothing
    bOutlookAvailable = True
  Else
    bOutlookAvailable = False
  End If

End Function

If you make bWasRunning a global var or ByRef arg then your app can
determine what to do if it was running or if it isn't installed.

Garry

0
GS
5/7/2010 10:18:55 PM
"GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> After serious thinking David Kerber wrote :
>> Running VB6 on Win7 x64.
>>
>> Is there a way of getting my vb6 app to be able to use the outlook 11 object
>> lib while outlook 2003 is running?
>>
>>    Set olk = New Outlook.Application
>>
>> works fine when outlook is not running on my machine, but when I have Outlook
>> 2003 running, I get "ActiveX component can't create object"
>>
>> Is there a way of letting this be shared?

> Contrary to how most the other MSO apps work, Outlook does not allow multiple
> instances of itself. We can't create a 'New' instance of it when it's already
> running, and so we're forced to 'hijack' a running instance if there is one OR
> create our own instance if not. Hijacking a user's instance of any app is a
> risky affair that is generally not recommended, but in this case M$ gives us
> no choice. Thus, MikeD's advice is mandatory when trying to automate Outlook.
>
> To add to that advice, I suggest you use a 'flag' (i.e.: bNewOlkInstance) so
> your app knows if you hijacked a running instance or not. In this case, you
> want to leave it running if already in use. Otherwise, if you create your own
> instance you'll probably want to shut it down when you're done with it if you
> have no reason for turning it over to the user. In either case your object
> refs need to be destroyed when no longer needed (standard cleanup<g>).
>
> Regards,
> Garry

Garry,

what if the user is finished while my program still uses the hijacked
Outlook and the user tries to close Outlook?

Helmut.

0
Helmut
5/8/2010 8:43:39 AM
Helmut Meukel explained :
> "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> After serious thinking David Kerber wrote :
>>> Running VB6 on Win7 x64.
>>>
>>> Is there a way of getting my vb6 app to be able to use the outlook 11
>>> object lib while outlook 2003 is running?
>>>
>>>    Set olk = New Outlook.Application
>>>
>>> works fine when outlook is not running on my machine, but when I have
>>> Outlook 2003 running, I get "ActiveX component can't create object"
>>>
>>> Is there a way of letting this be shared?

>> Contrary to how most the other MSO apps work, Outlook does not allow
>> multiple instances of itself. We can't create a 'New' instance of it when
>> it's already running, and so we're forced to 'hijack' a running instance if
>> there is one OR create our own instance if not. Hijacking a user's instance
>> of any app is a risky affair that is generally not recommended, but in this
>> case M$ gives us no choice. Thus, MikeD's advice is mandatory when trying
>> to automate Outlook.
>>
>> To add to that advice, I suggest you use a 'flag' (i.e.: bNewOlkInstance)
>> so your app knows if you hijacked a running instance or not. In this case,
>> you want to leave it running if already in use. Otherwise, if you create
>> your own instance you'll probably want to shut it down when you're done
>> with it if you have no reason for turning it over to the user. In either
>> case your object refs need to be destroyed when no longer needed (standard
>> cleanup<g>).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Garry
>>

> Garry,
>
> what if the user is finished while my program still uses the hijacked
> Outlook and the user tries to close Outlook?
>
> Helmut.

As I stated in my post, hijacking a user's instance is risky. In the
case of Outlook some kind of error handling must be used, which is not
always the best thing to have to work with. I prefer to never hijack a
running instance of any M$O app. It's not only safer to create/use my
own instance, it's easier to manage because I can lock it down so the
user can only access features required for the task at hand. This in no
way compromises the user's instance (if one was running), and nor can
the user use my instance for anything other than what my UI settings
allow.

The issue with automating Outlook while in use by the user raises a
situation that can be disasterous in the scenario you cite here. Thus,
your code will have to include a mechanism to handle user intervention.
I never automate any mail apps because it's easier to build the mail
message and start the user's default mail app as a separate process.
This way it doesn't matter to my app what the user does during the
Outlook session.

Otherwise, I can't imagine why anyone would want to manipulate a user's
mail app beyond preparing a message and displaying its UI to the user.
If I need my app to email info to myself there's other ways I can
handle it without invoking the user's mail app (or server).

In the case of providing automation of Outlook as a utility used
specifically with Outlook, I would rather create a M$O addin. This
could be VBA or a VB6 COMAddin.dll.

Garry

0
GS
5/8/2010 5:32:01 PM
In article <OOT$fRt7KHA.2292@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
GS@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> Otherwise, I can't imagine why anyone would want to manipulate a user's
> mail app beyond preparing a message and displaying its UI to the user.
> If I need my app to email info to myself there's other ways I can
> handle it without invoking the user's mail app (or server).

I'm the OP, and I agree with this when it comes to mail, but what I need
to get to is the Exchange public folders from a VB6 app.  The only way
I've found is through various outlook automation libs.

If there is another way of connecting to Exchange (and getting to public
folders) without using any piece of outlook that would be far better,
because it would allow us to use my app on machines that don't have
outlook on them.

David
5/10/2010 12:42:20 PM
David Kerber wrote on 5/10/2010 :
> In article <OOT$fRt7KHA.2292@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> GS@discussions.microsoft.com says...

>> Otherwise, I can't imagine why anyone would want to manipulate a user's
>> mail app beyond preparing a message and displaying its UI to the user.
>> If I need my app to email info to myself there's other ways I can
>> handle it without invoking the user's mail app (or server).
>
> I'm the OP, and I agree with this when it comes to mail, but what I need
> to get to is the Exchange public folders from a VB6 app.  The only way
> I've found is through various outlook automation libs.
>
> If there is another way of connecting to Exchange (and getting to public
> folders) without using any piece of outlook that would be far better,
> because it would allow us to use my app on machines that don't have
> outlook on them.

Hi David,
I understand your problem, and agree that another approach would be
better. Unfortunately, the only advice I can give you is to rephrase
your question so you get replies about working with Exchange. Since
it's likely that your users may not have Outlook installed, it's a more
direct approach to your app's needs to seek ideas for working with
Exchange directly OR possibly find other suggestions relating to
accomplishing your objectives.

Garry

0
GS
5/10/2010 1:24:03 PM
> In article <OOT$fRt7KHA.2292@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> GS@discussions.microsoft.com says...

>> Otherwise, I can't imagine why anyone would want to manipulate a user's
>> mail app beyond preparing a message and displaying its UI to the user.
>> If I need my app to email info to myself there's other ways I can
>> handle it without invoking the user's mail app (or server).
>
> I'm the OP, and I agree with this when it comes to mail, but what I need
> to get to is the Exchange public folders from a VB6 app.  The only way
> I've found is through various outlook automation libs.
>
> If there is another way of connecting to Exchange (and getting to public
> folders) without using any piece of outlook that would be far better,
> because it would allow us to use my app on machines that don't have
> outlook on them.

  There is a fair amount of stuff out there using CDO to get to the Public
Folders...

If this wraps, unwrap it....

<:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=Exchange+CDO+&as_epq=public+folders&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images>

Mike
5/10/2010 1:55:16 PM
On 10/05/2010 13:42, David Kerber wrote:
> In article<OOT$fRt7KHA.2292@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> GS@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>
>> Otherwise, I can't imagine why anyone would want to manipulate a user's
>> mail app beyond preparing a message and displaying its UI to the user.
>> If I need my app to email info to myself there's other ways I can
>> handle it without invoking the user's mail app (or server).
>
> I'm the OP, and I agree with this when it comes to mail, but what I need
> to get to is the Exchange public folders from a VB6 app.  The only way
> I've found is through various outlook automation libs.
>
> If there is another way of connecting to Exchange (and getting to public
> folders) without using any piece of outlook that would be far better,
> because it would allow us to use my app on machines that don't have
> outlook on them.

I've not had any problems with apps that run through any folders (public
or not) while I'm using Outlook.
I never shut it down though, but I suppose it may depend on what you and
the app are doing.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee
5/10/2010 5:03:27 PM
In article <uXaNshE8KHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
mDotByerley@VerizonDottieNettie says...

> "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_warrenrogersassociates.com> wrote in message
> > In article <OOT$fRt7KHA.2292@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> > GS@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> >> Otherwise, I can't imagine why anyone would want to manipulate a user's
> >> mail app beyond preparing a message and displaying its UI to the user.
> >> If I need my app to email info to myself there's other ways I can
> >> handle it without invoking the user's mail app (or server).
> >
> > I'm the OP, and I agree with this when it comes to mail, but what I need
> > to get to is the Exchange public folders from a VB6 app.  The only way
> > I've found is through various outlook automation libs.
> >
> > If there is another way of connecting to Exchange (and getting to public
> > folders) without using any piece of outlook that would be far better,
> > because it would allow us to use my app on machines that don't have
> > outlook on them.
>
>   There is a fair amount of stuff out there using CDO to get to the Public
> Folders...
>
> If this wraps, unwrap it....
>
> <:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=Exchange+CDO+&as_epq=public+folders&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images>

Got it going with CDO; thanks!

David

HTML edit for email template in Outlook 2003
If I'm editing new mail, I can set MS Word as editor and use script editor to access the HTML source. Now I'm creating a template for the autoreply, and it doesn't offer a choice to switch to MS Word. What should I do to edit the mail template content then? -- If you want to mail to me, please replace all instance of "e" to "a" in my email address. Thank you. Sorry for any inconvience caused, but there's many spam-mailers. ...

outlook 2000 #7
can anyone tell me how I extend the range of spam filters to block unwanted emails. I understand that there is a file called filters.txt but that seems just to be a statement of fact rather than a method of editing email content. any help wouold be appreciated (remove myknickers for email reply) thanks John ...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Outlook 2003 Cannot sort by subject
Hi all, In outlook 2003, when I click the subject bar to sort email by subjects, it will work sometimes but not every time. The email are sorted but the cursor will jump to the first email but not the email I highlighted before. This is VERY VERY annoying and I want to rollback to outlook xp. Anyone know how I can solve this problem? Greatly appreciated for your help. Cheers, Jo. Try Group By Conversation instead. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal ac...

Go Offline in Outlook fails with SQL General Error
Hello After sometimes going offline in Outlook CRM Client I get an SQL General Error and the process cancels. I can repair that using the Diagnose program of the CRM Client. There I saw an message which says Outlook Client Subcription is corrupt. In the Eventlog I found following Error Message: Ereignistyp: Fehler Ereignisquelle: MSCRMOfflineSync Ereigniskategorie: Keine Ereigniskennung: 6000 Datum: 21.05.2008 Zeit: 18:10:13 Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend Computer: NB169 Beschreibung: An error occurred during Offline Synchronization. Try going offline again, or restart Microsoft Outlook. So...

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Outlook 2007 Not Responding in Vista 12-30-09
I have a Gateway notebook with Vista. I installed Office 2007 a month ago. It all works well except Outlook. When I load Outlook MOST of the time I see the send receive go to 56% then just sits at 56%. I get no email, then Outlook goes kind of grey and I get " Not Responding" on the top bar. Sometimes I can close Outlook and reload and it will get my email. I have searched the knowledge base and have no programs trying to access Outlook. This is apparently a known issue, is there a fix? Thanks for any help. No its not a known issue, its down to your configeration Have ...

outlook or freeware calendar
My mother in law is in a nursing care facility. My wife is coordinating the schedules for each of the many family members to visit and take care of her. My wife (and I) use Outlook XP for personal calendars. Both of us are at a loss how to send our outlook calendar (in weekly view mode) to our various email correspondents. Is there a freeware program which will accomplish the same thing. The only way to achieve what we want to do that I can think of is to screen capture the calendar window, save the file and attach the file (jpg/bmp) to each correspondent. This seems to me to be a crude i...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Outlook 2002
Occasionally I will reply to an e-mail and it will be sent using an e-mail account other then my Default. Any ideas as to how I can stop this? Thanks, Paul hi paul u shd hv more than 1 pop3 a/c, when u click "Send", note there's a little arrow next to it, under it there's a drop down menu & u shd choose the pop3 a/c that u'd like to send with.. HIH >-----Original Message----- >Occasionally I will reply to an e-mail and it will be >sent using an e-mail account other then my Default. > >Any ideas as to how I can stop this? > >Thanks, &...

Using XML with ASP.NET

GAL view from Outlook
Hi Pardon for asking here - didn't know where to put this as I don't know if it's an Outlook or Exchange question. When I click the "To:" button in Outlook 2003 and look in my GAL i get the Name, Business Phone, Office etc. as default view. Is there a way to change this view or maybe the order of the columns? Email-address holds the x400 address - why not the smtp address? I would like to change the view so that it fits the need for our users - is this possible? Thanks in advance. Best regards, Brian Nicolaisen IT-service, System & Campus-IT UNIVERSITY OF SO...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Can't restore Outlook 2003 from the notification area (Windows XP Pro)
If I minimise Outlook to the systray, and then attempt to restore it at a later time I receive the following message in an XP balloon. "Outlook is not responding. If you are using an Exchange server email account you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon in the notifications area and then clicking Cancel Server Request on the shortcut menu. " I am not using Exchange, therefore I don't have the option to cancel server requests - this is a standalone system - it's not even networked! How do I resolve this? I have to restart the system to get it ru...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Outlook stops checking email w/ "Enter Password" prompt?
Howdy, I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Professional system. My system is connected to the Internet using DSL going through a Linksys router. I have Outlook configured to check several pop3 email accounts every 15 minutes. I'm checking my DSL email account and 2 yahoo.com accounts. The Problem: Several times a day, I'll check my machine and see that there's an Outlook window displayed asking for the password to one of my Yahoo accounts with a check box to save the password. These passwords are already saved and they work, for example, if I hit cancel and the Send and R...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces