Unzipping without external DLLs?

Folks

I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
this answer if there is one.

I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
in Access quite well.

But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
searching with the right keywords either.

(I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)

Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
lot of useless hits.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony

On 9/11/2010 8:06 PM, Tony Toews wrote:
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well.
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony

This works using VB6, XPSP3, add a reference to shell32.dll shell32.dll.

Sub Compress(dest As String, ZipFile As String)
     Dim myShell As Shell
     Dim FSO As Object
     Set myShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
     Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.fileSystemObject")
     FSO.CreateTextFile(ZipFile, True).WriteLine "PK" & Chr(5) & Chr(6)
& String(18, 0)
     myShell.NameSpace(ZipFile).CopyHere (dest)
     Set myShell = Nothing
     Set FSO = Nothing
End Sub

Private Sub Command1_Click()
     'change to valid input and output filenames
     Compress "c:\temp\wursetup.exe", "c:\temp\wursetup.zip"
End Sub

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=284538
0
Mike
9/12/2010 5:48:13 AM
Top posted:

FSO is a bad idea in any situation.  You are assuming each end user not only
has it on their system, but has the appropriate rights to use it.  It's not
a VB6 only solution.

OP:  My first thought is to look at the info zip source code (assuming it's
still out there) and see if it's translatable to VB6.

Also - and hopefully Dee will be long for this - there was a link posted
recently that dealt with a VB6 zipping program.  I forget the title, but the
source was available.  It does use an external file, zip.exe, however.

If it's possible, and that's a big if, it's not going to be an easy task to
put together (unless you're just going to C&P someone elses code without
understanding how it works...and if so, don't tell me about it).  I would
probably look at the C code for InfoZIP and see if it's translatable to VB

Why not just use the DLL?  You're saving yourself a lot of trouble and work.

"Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: On 9/11/2010 8:06 PM, Tony Toews wrote:
: > Folks
: >
:
[...]

Kevin
9/12/2010 6:02:37 AM
Tony Toews expressed precisely :
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well.
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony

http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml

He has a TLB for using the compressed folders api. I linked to his VB6
index as you may need his OLE tlb.

Leo
9/12/2010 6:21:45 AM
I don't know if you can work this in your overall solution. But can you try
put the files you wna to zip/unzip into a XP compressed folder. Then the OS
will do all the work for you.
"Tony Toews" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs.  I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well.
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code.  Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll?  I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
>  updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/

0
phil
9/12/2010 12:51:48 PM
This one says it does all Zip/UnZip in pure VB6 without any third party
components:

Archive Explorer (update 1)
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=53174&lngWId=1

I searched for the word "Unzip" to find it.

0
Nobody
9/12/2010 2:23:25 PM
On Sep 11, 8:06=A0pm, Tony Toews <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> Folks
>
> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
> this answer if there is one.
>
> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs. =A0I'm
> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
> in Access quite well. =A0
>
> But this time I'd like VB6 code. =A0Or is there an API call to use the
> Windows zip dll? =A0I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
> searching with the right keywords either.
>
> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>
> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
> lot of useless hits.
>
> Thanks, Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages -http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
> =A0 updated seehttp://www.autofeupdater.com/

The following will unzip in XP, Vista or Windows 7 with no external
dependency on your part:

'----------------------------------------------------------
'this will unzip to the same directory as the zip file
  Dim TempDir as String
  Dim Filename as String

  TempDir =3D "c:\myzipfolder\"   'or whatever path you wish to unzip to
  Filename=3D "zipfilename.zip"

    With CreateObject("Shell.Application")
        .NameSpace("" & TempDir).CopyHere .NameSpace("" &
FileName).Items
    End With

   MsgBox FileName & " unzipped!", vbOKOnly + vbInformation, "Zip
Test"
'------------------------------------------------------------

There is an equivalent to zip files using the Shell Namespace as well.

Tom

0
Shotgun
9/12/2010 4:32:57 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 02:02:37 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:

>Why not just use the DLL?  You're saving yourself a lot of trouble and work.

I may very well do that.  But I like to keep things all in one exe
with no dependencies.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 9:44:12 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:21:45 +1000, Leo <ttdhead@gmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml
>
>He has a TLB for using the compressed folders api. I linked to his VB6
>index as you may need his OLE tlb.

Interesting..  Thanks.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 9:47:29 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 10:23:25 -0400, "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com>
wrote:

>This one says it does all Zip/UnZip in pure VB6 without any third party
>components:
>
>Archive Explorer (update 1)
>http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=53174&lngWId=1
>
>I searched for the word "Unzip" to find it.

Ahh, even nicer.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 9:51:31 PM
: On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 02:02:37 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:
:
: >Why not just use the DLL?  You're saving yourself a lot of trouble and
work.
:
: I may very well do that.  But I like to keep things all in one exe
: with no dependencies.

There's ways to do that as well.  Put the DLL in a resource, extract,
register (if needed) and use.  The only drawback there is permissions under
vista and later, but there are ways to get around that too.  If you want to
discuss it, let me know.

- Kev

0
Kevin
9/12/2010 11:04:15 PM
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:04:15 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k@p.c> wrote:

>There's ways to do that as well.  Put the DLL in a resource, extract,
>register (if needed) and use.  The only drawback there is permissions under
>vista and later, but there are ways to get around that too.  If you want to
>discuss it, let me know.

Yeah, I can IT admins and antivirus programs getting nervous when DLLs
suddenly appear.      I suspect I'd sooner distribute the Infozip DLLs
so they are visible and known.

But there are several other alternatives so I'll review those first.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/13/2010 12:43:05 AM
On 9/11/2010 11:21 PM, Leo wrote:
> Tony Toews expressed precisely :
>> Folks
>>
>> I've been doing some searching through Google Groups but haven't found
>> this answer if there is one.
>>
>> I"d like to unzip a zip file without using any external DLLs. I'm
>> aware of the open source Infozip DLLs and have used them in the past
>> in Access quite well.
>> But this time I'd like VB6 code. Or is there an API call to use the
>> Windows zip dll? I couldn't see one on MSDN but maybe I wasn't
>> searching with the right keywords either.
>>
>> (I also realize that a VB6 exe could be significantly slower in
>> unzipping than the DLLs but I'd be wanting to do a timing test before
>> deciding that VB6 isn't fast enough.)
>>
>> Of course zip and unzip are terms used in lots of places so there's a
>> lot of useless hits.
>>
>> Thanks, Tony
>
> http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml
>
> He has a TLB for using the compressed folders api. I linked to his VB6
> index as you may need his OLE tlb.

Yes that's a much nicer solution. Edanmo did a lot of really impressive
work! I used his Scheduled Task code and it worked great.

0
Mike

can you create a msg file without outlook installed ?
Hello: I am look for a vb dot.net solution to create a .msg file on the fly (on a server) without having to have outlook installed. The .msg files will be placed in a Document Management repository. Since this is running on IIS7.0 I need a pure dot.net solution. Thanks T The msg-format is described here; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc463912.aspx There might be some 3rd party libraries for this. You might be better of asking this question in a developer newsgroup own the hall. They all start with outlook.program_ -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coautho...

How do I print without the last few letters being cut off?
When printing in a booklet form in publisher my last few letters are cut off. How do I fix this problem? tliingram wrote: > When printing in a booklet form in publisher my last few letters are cut > off. How do I fix this problem? I'd suggest: a) Buy a new printer b) Redesign your publication such that the text does not encroach on your printer's non-printing region. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Try a couple of line returns on the end of the text. -- Don Vancouver, USA "tliingram" <tliingram@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

UnZip?
Was recently sent an Excel file, but one that had been "zipped" and the resulting file extension was .zip. Excel doesn't seem to recognize this, and I've been told I need to "unzip" the file first. How do I do that? I'm using W-2000/Pro and Excel 2000 which I believe came installed as part of Office 2000. Thanks. -- ---------- CWLee "If elected, my highest priority upon taking office will be to get the gazelles and the lions to negotiate a peaceful solution to their long-standing differences." Tarzan, Democratic candidate for King of the Jungle...

Macro to import external data from Access query to Excel
I have tried to post this a couple times, but don't see it after I post it... so if it out here three times, I am sorry! I am trying to write code that will allow me to pull in information for different areas depending on the file that I am creating. For example, I will create a file for US006 and want the external information for US006 and then create a file for US007 and want the information for US007. I created the code below. The fourth line from the bottom references US006. I would like that to be a variable dependent on the file I am creating. I cannot seem to g...

can i do the visio upgrade without the visio cd available
i downloaded the visio services pack 2 upgrade, but i am unable to use my cd. it continously gives me "upgrade unsuccessfull". is there a possibility to do the said upgrade withou resorting to the cd. ...

unzipping and even zipping.
For unzipping, I've used PKZip or MSZip or PowerDesk (which includes an unzipper) but my young friend's laptop has none of these. Does XP include an unzipper? I can't find one in Windows Explorer, except references to PowerDesk (a separate enhanced verions of win explorer). Yet I never hear people reminded anymore to get a zip utility, or any reference to what's good or where to get it. The Help has one reference to zipping a folder, but not a file, and no relevant reference to unzipping. Spend some time reading this. And, learn how to Google. http://offi...

MS CRM, how to use external mail to receive mail?
���ʣ���CRMʹ��GMAIL����ʱ��Ӧ���������ã�������CRM����ʾ���յ����ʼ������ã�Windows server 2003 + Exchange server 2003 + MS CRM. Will the use of CRM GMAIL mailbox, it should set up what can be shown in CRM receive the mail? Configuration : Windows 2003 server + Exchange server 2003 MS CRM. ...

Dragging data without changing cell borders
Does anyone know how to drag data only from one cell to others, without dragging borders, colours, etc. so I don't have to go back and fix up all the borders and colours again? Is there a simple setting which allows dragging of data to be done where only the data is dragged? Colin Gibson Hi Colon, Assuming you have text values and not formulas. Rather than dragging you could copy (ctrl+C) or Cut (Ctrl+X) and then Edit, Paste Special, Values If you have numbers or formulas you would have to paste formula, and format separately. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Exce...

Workflow paused without errors
Hi, all of my workflows are not executed. Workflow monitor displays them as paused, but the log doesn't contain any information what's wrong. The event log contains an error message for each workflow and reffers to the workflow monitor where no additional information can be found. I have also experienced this behaviour with past beta versions - maybe I am missing an important step in the process of designing workflows? Any help is highly appreciated! Thank you. Regards Andreas I dont think that you have provided enough info to troubleshoot this. If you can export one of th...

Executing external application after an integration finishes
I'm using GP 9 and trying to create a integration from an Access database to GP. I'd like to run an application of my own after the integration finishes but I can not get the 'Execute' function to work. I put the following line in my "After Integration" script: Execute "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics\Integration Manager\test.bat", 60, 0 ....and get the following error in the log: "6/3/2008 12:08:07 PM Source: .., Status Code: -805044208 ERROR: Error Executing Script 'Before Integration' Line 1: Wrong number of arguments or...

Excel 2003: File->Close without saving changes (save menu does no.
In Excel 2003, I would like the save menu to pop up "do you want to save changes that you made to 'Filename.xls'?" when I click on File, then Close. Sometimes I am doing a calc in the file itself, which is not meant to be saved. In prior versions of Excel, using File->Close does not automatically save changes. Does anyone know how to make the menu pop up, or turn off the autosave function? Thanks! Hello- Excel 2003 does not have an AutoSave feature (there is AutoRecovery, but that is a totally unrelated feature). AFAIK there is no difference in '03 & ...

E-mailing spreadsheet without hyperlinks
I use a spreadsheet to bill a company for goods and services. For my own control purposes, I set up hyperlinks to cross reference unit totals with the actual products. For example, cells that contain the daily total photo batches I upload to the company's FTP server have hyperlinks to the actual folders on my hard drive that contain the photographs that I am billing for. This allows me to easily pull up a batch of photos that matches an invoice. I want to copy the bi-weekly spreadsheet and e-mail it to the company's billing department without sending the hyperlinks. How do I remove...

How do you protect a worksheet from being viewed without having the correct password?
I am needing to protect a document from being viewed without the password to "unlock" it. Is this possible??? Dana, yes. Set a "password to open." Here's how: 1-File > Save As 2-In the Save As dialog box, Tools > General Options 3-In the Save Options dialog box, enter a Password to open 4-Click OK, confirm the password, continue with the save. Excel will prompt for the password whenever the file is opened. Be advised that passwords are not "uncrackable," as many have pointed out in these newsgroups. -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and ...

CRM reports Externally
This is regarding issue we are having trying to access CRM reports Externally -Clicking on Reports in CRM web externally takes you to the list of available - reports fine, but when you try to 'Run report', it returns a 401. -If URL is pointed directly to the Reports URL (http://crm.domainname.com.au:5555/reports) the reports are Available and user can ‘Run Report’ with "An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted) Cannot create a connection to data source 'CRM'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection) For more information about this error navigate ...

Indent without TABs
I took the TABs out of my resume. Are Bullets the only way to indent??? You can indent by dragging the indent markers on the ruler. What is it you're trying to do? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Cranberry111" <Cranberry111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B49EA288-0A7A-4DEE-B0C5-618566F03E06@microsoft.com... >I took the TABs out of my resume. Are Bullets the only way to indent??? > ...

Unzip Files
How do I unzip files contained in an email using Windows Office 2000? You have to download the pkzip app, or an equivalent eg winzip, from one of the shareware sites http://www.winzip.com/ eg David "Rita" <coolbird46@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:388519F6-8A1F-4661-952A-6BBDB9E78E5B@microsoft.com... > How do I unzip files contained in an email using Windows Office 2000? ...

Macro to run without any popups
I am a newbie but thought someone in this group could assist Trying to accomplish the following: Search for all ^p and replace them with ^| (soft return) and then find the following text =93please call with questions=94 and put that in bold anywhere in the sentence. However I am able to do the soft return with a macro but I don=92t want any popups to happen when I run the macro. Is that possible? Sub ScratchMaco() Dim oRng As Word.Range Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Content With oRng.Find .Text = "^p" .Replacement.Text = "^l" .Execute Replace:=wdRep...

Publishing subprojects without saving or publishing their master
Greetings, We recently discovered that you can highlight multiple projects from Project Server 2007 PWA's Project Center and open them all at once in Project 2007. When doing this, Project opens with a temporary (e.g Project1 or Project2, etc...) master project, with each of the selected projects as a subproject. This is great, since it allows project managers to filter/group/sort all of the projects, select the ones they want and then open them all at once to make changes across them, rather than trying to make the changes to one project at a time. What we can't curren...

Outlook 2003: OST without Cached Exchange Mode?
I'm trying to understand how offline folders work in Outlook 2003 with an Exchange account. Can anyone confirm, deny, or correct my findings? I "think" this is the way it works: - Cached Exchange Mode is a layer built on top of offline files, designed to make them easier to use and manage - if you turn off Cached Exchange Mode, you still have offline files enabled, but only sync with Send/Receive - if you have a synced ost and disconnect from the net: - and have offline files enabled, you can read new messages that were already in your Inbox at last sync...

Photo without border
I am using microsoft window xp home edition 2002. New to microsoft publisher 2003 somewhat. I made a 5x8 invitation card with a photo inserted. I would like for the photo to print to the edge of card, but I have not been able to accomplish this. On page setup, custom settings from size, paper layout, scaling down, custom borderless etc on my HP Deskjet 5740 (not really photo quality, but it will do for now) have not helped. I have manage to print to the edge only on the top and left side. I know it is probably simple, but I can't figure it out. -- Airline -- Airline Some ...

Unzip a file, Word crashes
When I try to unzip a Word doc (Word 2007) Word crashes - literally opens millions of dialogue boxes (possibly related to the registry?) and the only way I can stop it is to go into task manager. Also, on drop down box on right clicking there's no unzip option. Help/advice please in simple step by step terms!!! How are you "unzipping" the file? -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Natgus21"...

Copying range format and formulae without data
I want to set up a macro that copies a range to a new range, copying formulae and cell formats, but ignoring raw data existing in the range copied from. In other words I'm expanding a blank copy for a new period. One way would be to name a blank copy in a range elsewhere and copy it in at the cursor, but for various reasons I'd prefer not to do it that way this time. I have made a 2 stage copy procedure, using the "Paste Special" Alt ESF and Alt EST routines, but this process also copies raw data, presumably seeing the data as a label, even although I have formatted the...

dialog items without MFC
Hi there, I created a window project "without using MFC" and I added some Dialog boxes to the project with some controls included with them like combo boxes, check boxes, .....? How can I access these controls without using MFC? In other words, how can I change - for example - the check status of my check box or how I can upload and read from the combo box? I tried to use the class wizard to creat CDialog class but I got many lines of errors that one of them says that CDialog is undefined. I really appreciate your help. Mo, If you want to use classes like CDialog, ...

Connect 2 external exchange sites, to view calendars?
Hi there My company was recently taken over, and we want to set up some kind of connection so that both companies can send mail directly to each other and view each others calanders. Site 1: has exchange 2003, Active directory 2003 Site 2: has exchange 5.5 and NT4 domain I am wondering if we need to setup some kind of trust between the domains? The main aim is to view calendars. Is there is some kind of connector that will do the trick? I've been looking into GWART but if there is anyone out there that has experiece of setting up something similar, id be grateful if you can let me know ...

Copy sheets without the vb code
We have a sheet in a book that is copied out of 'book 1' and creates 'book2'. The Sheet in 'book1' has VB code 'under it'. Is there any way that we can copy Sheet1 and create Book2 without the VBcode under it. This is the vb code we currently use to create 'book2':- strFileName = Range("ab1").Text ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(Array("HOURLY")).Copy ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\TEMP\book2 " & strFileName & ".xls" (Range ab1 is today's date) Thanks in adavnce Kevin Kevin, You will nee...