Project 2007 after entering actual work saveas xml takes hours

We are using project 2007. I have written some vba code that reads a file and enters actual work data. After the process is complete, I want to save the project as an xml file. It took 4 hours to do the saveas. Obviously there is something wrong. If we do the saveas before the actual work is updated, it only takes about 6 minutes.

What can I do to correct the slow xml conversion process?
0
j_dixon (2)

j_dixon was thinking very hard :
> We are using project 2007. I have written some vba code that reads a file and
> enters actual work data. After the process is complete, I want to save the
> project as an xml file. It took 4 hours to do the saveas. Obviously there is
> something wrong. If we do the saveas before the actual work is updated, it
> only takes about 6 minutes.
>
> What can I do to correct the slow xml conversion process?
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

You need to ask this in a Project forum. This NG is for VB classic.

--
Garry

GS
6/22/2010 7:23:39 PM
When I tried to post this to the project forum, it told me the selection was incorrect. This was the closes fourm that it let me select.

0
j_dixon (2)
6/22/2010 7:32:08 PM
"j_dixon" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message

> When I tried to post this to the project forum,
> it told me the selection was incorrect.

Forum? Do you mean a real newsgroup, or do you mean one of those new fangled
Micro$oft forums which are really just for people who want to swap pictures
with each other and say nice things about Micro$oft.

I would have thought the microsoft.public.project.vba newsgroup would be the
place you would want to be, although having given it a quick look I can see
that it gets almost no traffic and so probably would not be of much use to
you. Alternatively, perhaps you should check out the
microsoft.public.project.developer newsgroup. I don't know anything about
Project 2007 myself (in fact I didn't even know what it was until your post
prompted me to check it out) but that latter newsgroup definitely gets a lot
more traffic than the other newsgroup I mentioned, and I can see some
Project vba related questions in there, and I would be very surprised if
real Project 2007 developers did not want to get involved with Project 2007
vba questions.

While you're there perhaps you might like to ask the regulars what date
Micro$oft intend to kill off that specific newsgroup (which is on the
cards), and what they intend to replace it with when they have done so. I'm
sure they will be replacing it with one of their Micro$oft Fanboy forums,
and even if you are not a Fanboy you can pretend to be one whilst you ask
your questions and post your pictures.

Mike

0
Mike
6/22/2010 7:59:55 PM
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:32:07 -0700, j_dixon <user@msgroups.net/> wrote:

� When I tried to post this to the project forum, it told me the selection was incorrect. This was the closes fourm that it let me select.

Try the below forum link. There are a few here on the ignorant side that can't operate outside of
their knowledge of VB 6.0 and hatred for Microsoft. Just ignore their mindless ramblings.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
0
Paul
6/23/2010 1:11:11 PM
  I'm guessing you're probably somewhat confused by
now if you're still reading. :)

  Newsgroups ("usenet") are a separate protocol from
webpages. (nntp/http) You can read them through
Thunderbird, Outlook Express, etc.
   The real name of this group is just:
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

  Forum websites like msgroups.net are just parasite
websites that take newsgroup content and pretend that
it's their own. (There is such a thing as an online forum.
Small companies sometimes create them for passive
product support. But that's different from "webbified"
newsgroups) The forum layout is difficult to use and
to read, in comparison to the actual newsgroups. You'd
be better off getting a newreader.

  But there's also another wrinkle here:

  Microsoft are in the process of ending all support
for usenet. They are setting up some moderated web forums,
trying to get MS customers to drop usenet and move to
Microsoft web forums, where MS salespeople can have
a marketing audience and criticism of Microsoft products
can be squelched.

   Paul Clement's post is giving you a URL for one of those
new web forums. Like other web forums, it's poorly designed,
hard to use, and subject to editing by moderators. But it
might be the only place to find what you want if you
can't find an active newsgroup.

  If you want to try the newsgroups that Mike Williams
mentioned, don't do it via parasite web forums. Set up a
newsreader. You can get groups from your own ISP (maybe)
or you can try an online service. Many of us here are using
eternal-september.org, which is continuing to carry the
Microsoft newsgroups after Microsoft drops them.

  If any of the above is not clear, you might try looking
up "usenet" at wikipedia. It's worth the effort to figure
out how to use newsgroups properly.

| When I tried to post this to the project forum, it told me the selection
was incorrect. This was the closes fourm that it let me select.

| ---
| frmsrcurl:
http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/Project-2007-after-entering-actual-work-saveas-xml-takes

0
Mayayana
6/23/2010 1:59:18 PM
Thanks for all the info. Will try again in another location.
0
j_dixon
6/23/2010 2:03:04 PM
j_dixon formulated the question :
> Thanks for all the info. Will try again in another location.

Fwiw, both microsoft.public.project.developer and
microsoft.public.project.vba continue to exist on the
news.eternal-september.org server.  See my sig if you want to sign up
for a free account there, to continue accessing these (and other)
groups as you did before Microsoft told all their customers to FOAD.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl

Adding dependencies to a Setup Project.
When I add an exe developed in VB to a setup Project it adds dlls to the Detected Dependencies. When I add an OCX created in C++ no dependencies are added. Is there a way for the setup project to detect dependencies for an OCX and add them? If not is there a way to add dependencies manually? I wrote an OCX with one simple method. Is there way to eliminate some of the dll dependencies needed for the project? Right now it needs MFC70.DLL MSVCR70.DLL KERNEL32.DLL USER32.DLL GDI32.DLL OLEAUT32.DLL Thank You for you help. Jim wrote: > When I add an exe developed in VB to a setup Proj...

Installing Project Time and Expense on Business Portal
When I try to install this component, it tells me that Project Time and expense is not installed/registered in the backoffice. Now, I do have Project Accounting installed, up and running. How do I get Project Time and expense to register in the backoffice Hi We had the same problem but now solved this. First you need to make sure Project is registered in GP. Then you need to setup Project in GP (system level), once done you should be able to install BP 2.5 with Project time and Expense. If you have not setup Project in GP (after the Project installation etc..) you will still get t...

macro for comparing fields in two work books #2
Dave, I did check out the website, but did not find any suitable answers Thank you anyway. Sunn -- Sunn ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Sunny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1488 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26516 You could use a helper cell: =isnumber(match(b2,'a2'!b:b,0)) and drag down. You'll see Trues if there's a match. Falses if none. I'm not sure what you'll do next. But if you really don't care if there's a match, maybe...

Exchange 2007 + Evolution
Current client has about 50 linux users who want to use Evolution to connect to the Exchange 2007 environment. They are currently using webmail before anyone suggests that brilliant idea. I have been able to get Entourage to work with our CAS, no luck with Evolution. Has anyone had success getting Evolution to connect to a Exchange 2007 environment? ...

Freezing panes
I'm an trying to freeze my panes, Horizontal only. However, when I choose the row to freeze, it freezes both horizontal and vertical, and it's not the row I want. The same happens when I try to freeze vertical too. It's also both. I run Excel 2002 in Windows XP Pro. Am I missing something? Did I forget to do something? Is there a glitch? Thanks in advance. Kathy L LAPL Hi Kathy If you select for example a5 and do Window>Freeze Panes Four rows are freeze If you select f1 for example Five columns are freeze -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)...

Managing Project with only Project Server and not Project Professi
My company is currently testing Project Server 2007. While we also have the desk top client Microsoft Office Project Professional our Portfilio Manager would like to know if it is possible to also have projects managed using only the web face applicaiton. While we have Project Managers here we also have other positions here that will manage task like projects who have never used the desk top applicaiton. Rather than having to have the application installed on everyone's computer and training half our department my manager wanted to know if it could be done just using web. ...

highlight the row of the cell Im working in?
I am dealing with a lot of data and I ma trying to highlight the row of the cell I am currently working on. Any suggestions that Excel 2007 can perform with out add-ons? The following may work for you: Code: -------------------- Public oldTarget Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If oldTarget <> "" Then Range(oldTarget).EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = -4142 Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 oldTarget = Target.Address End Sub -------------------- Place that into the worksheet module for the she...

Opening Projects with Project Pro is slow
Hi, do you have any recommendations how to tackle performance bootlenecks when opening project plans wiht Project Pro is sometimes very slow? Thanks for any advice Adrian -- Adrian Miller Which version of Project Server, what service packs and CU's do you have installed and what circumstances? -- Rod Gill Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com "Adrian Miller" <adrian.miller@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#YhVTuevKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP...

Project Accounting
Hi, I have had a question from a customer who uses project accounting (V10). They have set up a project with 2 fees attached. Originally the Tax Schedule against the Fee IDs was set as 'Based on Customer' and they have processed some invoices. Now it has been establised that one of the Fees should be 'Non-taxable'. The Fee ID has had this change made. For the project, when drilling back against the individual Fee line -the fees still shows as 'Based On Customer' Is it just a simple matter of changing the tax schedule at this point? I am a complete beginner at Pro...

Xml shredding performance
Hi, we are having some performance issues regarding xml shredding. At this point we are extracting data from xmls from nearly 60 different companies - and therefore 60 different xml structures. The total amount of xml is about 350MB and we are trying to extract the data as fast as possible. Our current system extracts, transforms and loads the data in about five minutes. We would however like to do this in about one minute to be pleased. We use the "nodes/cross apply"-technique to shred the xmls into our internal format. This is how we shred the data. ------...

Remove orphan domains for EXCH 2007 install
In a test disaster recovery environment, we have recovered our DC, and would like to remove two child domains that are obviously not reachable. What is the most clean and easiest way to accomplish this? Sorry for the lack of depth to this question, I am fairly new to AD. What we have done is rebuilt our DC, rebuilt an Exchange box, and now on another box we are trying to install a beta instance of Exchange 2007. In order to continue with the install, AD must not see the child domains it can no longer reach. Thanks for your help Gregg On 4 Oct 2006 09:07:20 -0700, "Gregg" <gre...

Outlook 2007 Icon on Start Menu doesn't work
Don't know what I did but the Outlook 2007 Icon at the top of the Start menu has changed from the original and when I click it I get Internet Options, not Outlook....all the other Icons for outlook work OK. How can I revert to the original working icon? thanks "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message news:eZRv9v$hHHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Don't know what I did but the Outlook 2007 Icon at the top of the Start > menu has changed from the original and when I click it I get Internet > Options, not Outlook....all the other Icons for ...

Reminders in Outlook 2007
When you have a reminder in the calendar in Outlook 2000 (or 2003) you see a liitle clock. In Outlook 2007 you don't. How can I see this clock in Outlook 2007??? Marc ...

break slide link in word 2007
I have Office 2007. Want to break the link to the slides I have in my word doc. When I right click the slide, I only get open or edit, or convert. Could you help me locate the right place to break the link; and if necessary add-in I need for Word and/or powerpoint? -- SLB -- SLB In Word 2007, click the Office button and choose Prepare. To the right you'll see an item "Edit Links to Files" (which appears only when there are linked items in the document). Click that to open the Links dialog. Select any or all of the listed links and click the Break Link button. ...

Entering Manual Checks
I have just started using MS Money 2005 and would like to enter back dated checks and deposits prior to the use of Internet updates. Is this possible and if so how do I do it? -- YBA Money Advanced Register? You do it the old fashioned way: enter transactions by hand. You'll have to adjust the account beginning balance to account for these in Account Details. Essential Register? You can't get there from here. Essential * = Evil *. "YBA Money" <YBAMoney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82CF8415-978E-4B8A-931C-931D2B6A09C8@microsoft.com... >I h...

help in my project
this is a big question and hope I'll find a help I enter in the cell B1 sheet1 the name of the material and in the cells from B2 to B10 the prices my question so if I'll enter the name of the material(B1) in the cell A1 sheet2 it will show all the prices of B2 to B10 in the cells A2 to A10 so what is the code for that? -- nader ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nader's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10881 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470988 nader Wr...

Excel 2007 incredibly slow on saving
Hi, I am just trying Excel 2007 for the first time. Saving a file (in compatibility mode) takes around 15 minutes! Savng the same file (about 12Mb) takes 5 seconds in Excel 2003. Clearly I have turned off autosave as this prevented me from working altogether (it takes longer to save than the 10 minute interval between saves). This just can't be right! Any ideas what could cause this? I am using a fast PC (quad-core Xeon 2.3 GHz) with 4Gb RAM. There is plenty of disk space and it is not cluttered or fragmented. Saves are to the local hard disk and there are no links over network co...

MS Project integration
Can someone help me... If I am in the wrong group, please direct me to a more appropriate one. Even point me to a help system online would be fine... I am trying to write some software that links into MS Project and collects resource information through the API. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio, C++ 6. I have an MSProject Application and I want to call the FileOpen() method. There are 15 parameters in the method, but I don't know what values the method is expecting for those parameters. The only help I can find is in the VB Object Browser within MS Project and it just repeats the ...

Out of office not working for e-mail alias
Hello all, I have a user that has set out of office through OWA. It is working for his primary SMTP account, but not for the alias. Any ideas on how I can get it to work for all SMTP addresses for a user. We are using Exhange 2000 SP3 On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:21:16 GMT, "Marc Baker" <mbaker@selectsa.com> wrote: >Hello all, > >I have a user that has set out of office through OWA. It is working for his >primary SMTP account, but not for the alias. Any ideas on how I can get it >to work for all SMTP addresses for a user. We are using Exhange 2000 SP3 > ...

Changed location of a few files in a vc7 project, now project can't find stdafx.h despite it not moving
Hello, thanks for trying to help. I have a project in which I moved some files out of the project directory into a sibling directory of the project directory because more than one project refers to these files. But, after that, the compiler just can't seem to find a bunch of files, in particularly stdafx.h, despite the fact that I did not move that file. I tried putting the sibling dir in project properties under additional includes directories, but that did not work, either. The only thing that (partly) worked was to hardcode the path of all included files into the include directives,...

ppt to xml & JPEG
In my web application I am required to do 4 tasks:- 1. Splitting MS Powerpoint's PPT to Slides. 2. Convert a MS Powerpoint's ppt Slides to the XML file. 3. Convert a MS Powerpoint's ppt Slides to the JPEG file. 4. Convert back XML to Slides. How to do programmatically in C# - VS2005 USING ONLY .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0. Help by providing code samples. ...

The macros in this project are disabled.
From the ControlBox when clicking on the Exit Design Mode button, I get a message: The macros in this project are disabled. This is preventing me from running my project. Any Ideas ??? Try Help>About Ms Excel>Disabled items. Anything there that you can re-enable? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:16:53 -0700 (PDT), Greg <ApexData@gmail.com> wrote: >From the ControlBox when clicking on the Exit Design Mode button, I >get a message: > >The macros in this project are disabled. > >This is preventing me from running my project. > >Any Idea...

Want labels of columns to display on each page when printing work.
I am tring to print a work book with many pages and would like to have the titles of my columns display on each page. I have tried the header function and it does not line up correctly with the correct columns. Any advice? Thank you in advance. Allen File>Page Setup>Sheet tab. Go to the "Rows to repeat at top" box and either type in the rows you want to repeat at the top of each page or use the mouse to highlight the rows. "justinlind44" <justinlind44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1035C341-634F-4948-9334-E317C1A1FDB6@microsoft.com......

Pls confirm 2007 chart redraw is up to 10 times slower than 2003
I have complex charts, with many data points. The redraw time on my machine in Excel 2003 (all updates for office and wxp installed) is 2-3 sec, which I consider extremely slow, so I was looking forward to an new chart engine with better speed from 2007, but am flabergasted at how slow 2007 is. Try this...create a line chart, 12 columns of 5000 points each. Put it imbeded in a worksheet. Tab to another worksheet, tab back, time the redraw. On my machine (3 ghz, 2gig ram), redraw time is 2-3 sec for all the lines to show up on the graph. In 2007, it takes a full minute! the graph loo...

The Product Key and disk I recieved with my computer won't enter.
The Procuct Key that came with the disk i recieved with my computer isn't being accepted. I've typed it in at least a dozen times and it won't enter. What do I do? Contact the supplier of your pc. I assume you got it preinstalled... -- Maurice Ausum "JustinE" wrote: > The Procuct Key that came with the disk i recieved with my computer isn't > being accepted. I've typed it in at least a dozen times and it won't enter. > What do I do? buy a MSDN license. Not to be confused with MSDE lol -Aaron On Mar 22, 2:51=A0pm, JustinE <Just...@di...