Problems shelling another application

I am not sure what is going on with this so I am not sure what to
ask.  I'll just share my experience and maybe somebody can point out
what I am doing wrong.  I am attempting to launch another application
from my VB app.  The code to launch the other app is just a simple
shell call (lngProcID = Shell(strAppPath)).  The call to Shell does
return a value but the app does not appear to have been started (does
not show up visually and is not in task manager).  Using the value
held in strAppPath in the Run dialog (Start->Run) starts the app just
fine.

I figure this has to be some stupid oversite on my part but I can not
find it...anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
0
Steve

"Steve" <sredmyer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am not sure what is going on with this so I am not sure what to
> ask.  I'll just share my experience and maybe somebody can point out
> what I am doing wrong.  I am attempting to launch another application
> from my VB app.  The code to launch the other app is just a simple
> shell call (lngProcID = Shell(strAppPath)).  The call to Shell does
> return a value but the app does not appear to have been started (does
> not show up visually and is not in task manager).  Using the value
> held in strAppPath in the Run dialog (Start->Run) starts the app just
> fine.
>
> I figure this has to be some stupid oversite on my part but I can not
> find it...anybody got any ideas?

You should state exactly what the command line is that you're using.  The
Shell function can only run executable files. Typically, these are files
with EXE, COM, and BAT extensions. By default, Windows treats some
extensions for scripting as executable files, but I always remove these
extensions. So, if you're specifying a document file and trying to open that
file in its associated application, you can't use the Shell function. You
can use the ShellExecute Win32 API function though.

--
Mike

0
MikeD
12/18/2009 5:10:13 PM
On Dec 18, 12:10=A0pm, "MikeD" <nob...@nowhere.edu> wrote:
> "Steve" <sredm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > I am not sure what is going on with this so I am not sure what to
> > ask. =A0I'll just share my experience and maybe somebody can point out
> > what I am doing wrong. =A0I am attempting to launch another application
> > from my VB app. =A0The code to launch the other app is just a simple
> > shell call (lngProcID =3D Shell(strAppPath)). =A0The call to Shell does
> > return a value but the app does not appear to have been started (does
> > not show up visually and is not in task manager). =A0Using the value
> > held in strAppPath in the Run dialog (Start->Run) starts the app just
> > fine.
>
> > I figure this has to be some stupid oversite on my part but I can not
> > find it...anybody got any ideas?
>
> You should state exactly what the command line is that you're using. =A0T=
he
> Shell function can only run executable files. Typically, these are files
> with EXE, COM, and BAT extensions. By default, Windows treats some
> extensions for scripting as executable files, but I always remove these
> extensions. So, if you're specifying a document file and trying to open t=
hat
> file in its associated application, you can't use the Shell function. You
> can use the ShellExecute Win32 API function though.
>
> --
> Mike

Here is my exact code

Dim strAppPath As String

    strAppPath =3D "C:\Program Files\Aspect Software\Unified IP
\M3Designer\CrtoGDEFramework.exe"
    lngPocID =3D Shell(strAppPath, vbNormalFocus)

As I say if I simply place the string "C:\Program Files\Aspect Software
\Unified IP\M3Designer\CrtoGDEFramework.exe" (without quotes) in the
run dialog the applications starts as expected.

Thanks,
Steve
0
Steve
12/18/2009 5:31:59 PM
"Steve" <sredmyer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am not sure what is going on with this so I am not sure what to
> ask.  I'll just share my experience and maybe somebody can point out
> what I am doing wrong.  I am attempting to launch another application
> from my VB app.  The code to launch the other app is just a simple
> shell call (lngProcID = Shell(strAppPath)).  The call to Shell does
> return a value but the app does not appear to have been started (does
> not show up visually and is not in task manager).  Using the value
> held in strAppPath in the Run dialog (Start->Run) starts the app just
> fine.
>
> I figure this has to be some stupid oversite on my part but I can not
> find it...anybody got any ideas?

Use Process Explorer instead of Task Manager. If the process started and
immediately exited for some reason, it would show up in Process Explorer for
at least a second or two. Also, if the path contain spaces, surround it by
double quotes. Example:

lngProcID = Shell(Chr(34) & strAppPath & Chr(34))

Or as some prefer:

lngProcID = Shell("""" & strAppPath & """")

The later is faster because it's evaluated at compile time, while the former
makes a function call to Chr(), which is slower but it's easier to read. The
4 double-quote char represent a single double-quote. The outer two are used
to surround the string and the second in the sequence is used as a escape
char.

Try using Debug.Print to see the exact string that is passed.

0
Nobody
12/18/2009 5:50:00 PM
Just guessing here, but give this a try for your Shell line and see if it
works...

lngPocID = Shell("""" & strAppPath & """", vbNormalFocus)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

On Dec 18, 12:10 pm, "MikeD" <nob...@nowhere.edu> wrote:
> "Steve" <sredm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > I am not sure what is going on with this so I am not sure what to
> > ask. I'll just share my experience and maybe somebody can point out
> > what I am doing wrong. I am attempting to launch another application
> > from my VB app. The code to launch the other app is just a simple
> > shell call (lngProcID = Shell(strAppPath)). The call to Shell does
> > return a value but the app does not appear to have been started (does
> > not show up visually and is not in task manager). Using the value
> > held in strAppPath in the Run dialog (Start->Run) starts the app just
> > fine.
>
> > I figure this has to be some stupid oversite on my part but I can not
> > find it...anybody got any ideas?
>
> You should state exactly what the command line is that you're using. The
> Shell function can only run executable files. Typically, these are files
> with EXE, COM, and BAT extensions. By default, Windows treats some
> extensions for scripting as executable files, but I always remove these
> extensions. So, if you're specifying a document file and trying to open
> that
> file in its associated application, you can't use the Shell function. You
> can use the ShellExecute Win32 API function though.
>
> --
> Mike

Here is my exact code

Dim strAppPath As String

    strAppPath = "C:\Program Files\Aspect Software\Unified IP
\M3Designer\CrtoGDEFramework.exe"
    lngPocID = Shell(strAppPath, vbNormalFocus)

As I say if I simply place the string "C:\Program Files\Aspect Software
\Unified IP\M3Designer\CrtoGDEFramework.exe" (without quotes) in the
run dialog the applications starts as expected.

Thanks,
Steve

0
Rick
12/18/2009 5:53:02 PM
Steve explained on 12/18/2009 :
> The code to launch the other app is just a simple
> shell call (lngProcID = Shell(strAppPath)).  The call to Shell does
> return a value but the app does not appear to have been started (does
> not show up visually and is not in task manager).

What's the returned value?  (If it's between 0-32, that indicates
failure.)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
12/18/2009 6:22:38 PM
MikeD explained :
> Shell function can only run executable files. Typically, these are files with
> EXE, COM, and BAT extensions.

That was the Bad Old Days. <g>  Nowadays, it's easy to determine:

C:\>set pathext
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
12/18/2009 6:23:43 PM
I have tried adding quotes...no change in result.

As far as the returned process ID...it is different each time I run
(of coarse) but is alway similar to 4420 which is the value returned
from my most recent attempt.

Where can I find this app Process Explorer?  Is it a MS app which
would have been installed with Windows (like Task Manager) or is it
some third party app.  If it is the later where do I get it from.  If
it is the former where is the exe for the app located.

Thanks,
Steve
0
Steve
12/18/2009 6:47:41 PM
> Where can I find this app Process Explorer?

Type "Process Explorer" in Google then click "I'm Feeling Lucky!"

0
Nobody
12/18/2009 6:54:10 PM
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
> Steve explained on 12/18/2009 :
> > The code to launch the other app is just a simple
> > shell call (lngProcID = Shell(strAppPath)).  The call to Shell does
> > return a value but the app does not appear to have been started (does
> > not show up visually and is not in task manager).
>
> What's the returned value?  (If it's between 0-32, that indicates
> failure.)

Those failures are usually caught by the VB Error Handler. Thus - you have
an error before you can check the return. Might just as well read the
Err.Number. <g>

If invoking "cmd", either explicitly or implicitly, the return will often
indicate success - even after a VB Error has been caught, because the
DOSPrompt window launched correctly and you get the process ID for it.

-ralph

0
Ralph
12/18/2009 7:06:47 PM
On Dec 18, 1:54=A0pm, "Nobody" <nob...@nobody.com> wrote:
> "Steve" <sredm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Where can I find this app Process Explorer?
>
> Type "Process Explorer" in Google then click "I'm Feeling Lucky!"

Ok I found and installed Process Explorer and indeed the app is
starting then imediately terminating.
I wonder why this would be?
Again using the exact same string in the Run dialog starts the app as
expected.
I thought that calling shell from VB was essentialy indentical to
launching an app via the Run dialog.

?????

Thanks,
Steve
0
Steve
12/18/2009 7:08:38 PM
Nobody expressed precisely :

Quicker still!  http://www.lmgtfy.com?q=Process+Explorer

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
12/18/2009 7:08:55 PM
on 12/18/2009, Steve supposed :
> I have tried adding quotes...no change in result.
>
> As far as the returned process ID...it is different each time I run
> (of coarse) but is alway similar to 4420 which is the value returned
> from my most recent attempt.

It's starting, alright.  Just for kicks, you might try vbMaximized?
(Any chance it's just starting off-screen with vbNormal?)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
12/18/2009 7:10:10 PM
> Just for kicks, you might try vbMaximized?
Tried that...no difference

> (Any chance it's just starting off-screen with vbNormal?)
I don't think so see my previous post where I mention that I actually
do see the process start in Process Explorer (thank Nobody) but then
the process is instantly killed.  What I can not understand is that
the exact same command string works fine in the Run dialog.

Steve
0
Steve
12/18/2009 7:17:47 PM
Steve expressed precisely :
> On Dec 18, 1:54�pm, "Nobody" <nob...@nobody.com> wrote:
>> "Steve" <sredm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Where can I find this app Process Explorer?
>>
>> Type "Process Explorer" in Google then click "I'm Feeling Lucky!"
>
> Ok I found and installed Process Explorer and indeed the app is
> starting then imediately terminating.
> I wonder why this would be?
> Again using the exact same string in the Run dialog starts the app as
> expected.
> I thought that calling shell from VB was essentialy indentical to
> launching an app via the Run dialog.
>
> ?????

I'm not aware of too many differences.  No idea what the curdir is when
you use Start-Run, are you?  That could be one thing, if the app is
extremely inflexible in that regard.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
12/18/2009 7:19:00 PM
Ralph pretended :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Steve explained on 12/18/2009 :
>>> The code to launch the other app is just a simple
>>> shell call (lngProcID = Shell(strAppPath)).  The call to Shell does
>>> return a value but the app does not appear to have been started (does
>>> not show up visually and is not in task manager).
>>
>> What's the returned value?  (If it's between 0-32, that indicates
>> failure.)
>
> Those failures are usually caught by the VB Error Handler. Thus - you have
> an error before you can check the return. Might just as well read the
> Err.Number. <g>

True, but I'll take refuge in your use of "usually" to retort. <g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
12/18/2009 7:20:30 PM
On Dec 18, 2:19=A0pm, Karl E. Peterson <k...@exmvps.org> wrote:
> Steve expressed precisely :
>

> > On Dec 18, 1:54=A0pm, "Nobody" <nob...@nobody.com> wrote:
> >> "Steve" <sredm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

..

> >> Type "Process Explorer" in Google then click "I'm Feeling Lucky!"
>
> > Ok I found and installed Process Explorer and indeed the app is
> > starting then imediately terminating.
> > I wonder why this would be?
> > Again using the exact same string in the Run dialog starts the app as
> > expected.
> > I thought that calling shell from VB was essentialy indentical to
> > launching an app via the Run dialog.
>
> > ?????
>
> I'm not aware of too many differences. =A0No idea what the curdir is when
> you use Start-Run, are you? =A0That could be one thing, if the app is
> extremely inflexible in that regard.
>
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!http://vfred.mvps.org- Hide quoted text -

DING DINGI DING DING!!!

We have a winner.

That was it...I set the current directory prior to calling the shell
function and now it works as expected.

I can't imagine why this would matter as I am including the full path
to the exe in the command line given to the shell function??

Oh well it works.

Thanks Karl

Steve
0
Steve
12/18/2009 7:40:06 PM
If you have command line options, and the EXE file name has spaces, you need
to surround the EXE path with double-quotes, followed by space then the
command line. Sometimes the OS could guess for you where the filename ends
and the command line begins, but that may not produce the expected result.
Add to that this guessing behavior seems to have been disabled in Vista+, so
always use double-quotes around the EXE full path, even if it doesn't
contain spaces. See CreateProcess() to see how the OS guesses the path.

DING DINGI DING DING!!!

We have a winner.

That was it...I set the current directory prior to calling the shell
function and now it works as expected.

I can't imagine why this would matter as I am including the full path
to the exe in the command line given to the shell function??

Oh well it works.

Thanks Karl

Steve

0
Nobody
12/18/2009 8:02:38 PM
On Dec 18, 2:19 pm, Karl E. Peterson <k...@exmvps.org> wrote:
> Steve expressed precisely :
>
> I can't imagine why this would matter as I am including the full path
> to the exe in the command line given to the shell function??

When you use Start / Run or the command environment to start an app it is
started with current directory set the same as the directory the app is in.
When you use the VB Shell function it starts the app in the same current
directory as the VB application.

0
Bob
12/18/2009 8:16:12 PM
> Ralph pretended :
> > "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Steve explained on 12/18/2009 :
> >>
> >> What's the returned value?  (If it's between 0-32, that indicates
> >> failure.)
> >
> > Those failures are usually caught by the VB Error Handler. Thus - you
have
> > an error before you can check the return. Might just as well read the
> > Err.Number. <g>
>
> True, but I'll take refuge in your use of "usually" to retort. <g>

Play with these ...

    On Error GoTo Click_Error
        ' will silently run - but nothing happens
    lRtn = Shell(Environ("comspec") & " /c " & "junk.txt")
        ' will report a valid ProcessID
        ' similar to the OP's situation
    Debug.Print lRtn

    Dim strAppPath As String: strAppPath = "C:\Junk.txt"
        ' will throw an Error
    lRtn = Shell("""" & strAppPath & """")
    Exit Sub
Click_Error:
     Debug.Print Err.Number   ' prints 5
     Debug.Print lRtn                ' prints another valid ProcessID

0
Ralph
12/18/2009 8:33:31 PM
Bob Butler formulated on Friday :
> "Steve" <sredmyer@yahoo.com> wrote ...
> On Dec 18, 2:19 pm, Karl E. Peterson <k...@exmvps.org> wrote:
>> Steve expressed precisely :
>>
>> I can't imagine why this would matter as I am including the full path
>> to the exe in the command line given to the shell function??
>
> When you use Start / Run or the command environment to start an app it is
> started with current directory set the same as the directory the app is in.

That was my suspicion.  So the app is just extremely poorly written, in
that it's too lazy to "find itself" as it looks for other files that
are in the same directory.  Lame.  Someone needs to give that devteam
holy whatfor!

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
12/18/2009 11:57:41 PM

> Bob Butler formulated on Friday :
>> "Steve" <sredmyer@yahoo.com> wrote ...
>> On Dec 18, 2:19 pm, Karl E. Peterson <k...@exmvps.org> wrote:
>>> Steve expressed precisely :
>>>
>>> I can't imagine why this would matter as I am including the full path
>>> to the exe in the command line given to the shell function??
>>
>> When you use Start / Run or the command environment to start an app it is
>> started with current directory set the same as the directory the app is
>> in.
>
> That was my suspicion.  So the app is just extremely poorly written, in
> that it's too lazy to "find itself" as it looks for other files that are
> in the same directory.  Lame.  Someone needs to give that devteam holy
> whatfor!

That's what I was thinking too.  The app shouldn't "bomb" just because the
current directory is not the same as the application directory. IMO, Steve's
fix of setting the current directory prior to launching the app isn't really
the "right" fix. UNLESS, of course, this app he's launching is not his own
and so he doesn't have the source code to fix the problem in it, in which
case setting the current directory first may very well be the only
work-around to the problem.

--
Mike

0
MikeD
12/19/2009 1:59:09 AM
MikeD formulated the question :

> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Bob Butler formulated on Friday :

>>> When you use Start / Run or the command environment to start an app it is
>>> started with current directory set the same as the directory the app is
>>> in.
>>
>> That was my suspicion.  So the app is just extremely poorly written, in
>> that it's too lazy to "find itself" as it looks for other files that are in
>> the same directory.  Lame.  Someone needs to give that devteam holy
>> whatfor!
>
> That's what I was thinking too.  The app shouldn't "bomb" just because the
> current directory is not the same as the application directory. IMO, Steve's
> fix of setting the current directory prior to launching the app isn't really
> the "right" fix. UNLESS, of course, this app he's launching is not his own
> and so he doesn't have the source code to fix the problem in it, in which
> case setting the current directory first may very well be the only
> work-around to the problem.

Right.  I was also assuming the shelled app wasn't his own, or else
he'd have known about this idiotic limitation.  There's any number of
cases where setting the current directory for stuff like this is
necessary, and when working with others' code it's often the best
(only) thing you can do.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
12/19/2009 2:44:58 AM

> Right.  I was also assuming the shelled app wasn't his own, or else he'd
> have known about this idiotic limitation.  There's any number of cases
> where setting the current directory for stuff like this is necessary, and
> when working with others' code it's often the best (only) thing you can
> do.

But that still doesn't excuse the problem existing in the shelled app. As
you said earlier, "extremely poorly written".

--
Mike

0
MikeD
12/19/2009 4:54:01 AM
On 18/12/2009 19:08, Steve wrote:
> On Dec 18, 1:54 pm, "Nobody"<nob...@nobody.com>  wrote:
>> "Steve"<sredm...@yahoo.com>  wrote in message

>>> Where can I find this app Process Explorer?
>>
>> Type "Process Explorer" in Google then click "I'm Feeling Lucky!"
>
> Ok I found and installed Process Explorer and indeed the app is
> starting then imediately terminating.
> I wonder why this would be?
> Again using the exact same string in the Run dialog starts the app as
> expected.
> I thought that calling shell from VB was essentialy indentical to
> launching an app via the Run dialog.

Shell uses CreateProcess().
The run dialog uses ShellExecute() which wraps CreateProcess with lots
of niceties like path/parameter splitting, URL handling, file verbs,
process elevation, etc.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
0
Dee

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

sync problems

Date problem

Installation Problem!!

Office 2007 - HELP

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

how do i import my inbox from one user to another on same laptop
Hi, I made 2 accounts on the outlook first and the emails for both the accounts r in one inbox. Now i made 2 dektop users on the laptop and i need to import the inbox in from the first user's outlook to the second user's outlook. please help me out. I have office professional 2007 On 31 Mrz., 15:37, Saad <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, I =A0made 2 accounts on the outlook first and the emails for both the > accounts r in one inbox. Now i made 2 dektop users on the laptop and i nee= d > to import the inbox in from the first user's outlook to the seco...

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...

Lookup() problem
I set up two lists, 200 employees names and 200 employee numbers. A couple of the numbers match the correct names but the rest of the numbers all pull the same employee name. =LOOKUP(C4,List!C4:C204,List!B4:B204) The first time I tried it seemed to pull the correct matching names and numbers then kabui it gets stuck. I tried deleting the entire lists cells and all and starting over but same thing. Anyone ever run into this before? Wayman Don't forget! When using Lookup(), the vector (second argument) must be sorted in ascending order. If it's not, you'll get what you ca...

Problem creating credit card account
When creating a Chase or Amazon.com credit cards I am having this happen to me when it creates the card and I can't figure out how to fix it so there is just one card showing. I attached a jpeg of what I am seeing. It's like it created multiple instances of the card and also show balances of my other cards. I am not sure if it is because these cards are associated with Chase or what. When I had it setup the online service for the card then that is when it creates the other instances. I hope someone can makes sence of this. Thanks! ...

Problems with CRichEditCtrl problems
Hi, I'd like to have some help regarding something I'm having an hard time figuring out. I'm develloping a chat programm where the Output window is a rich edit ctrl (I used CRichEditCtrl in one cases and CreateWindowEx(.."RichEdit"..) in the other one. I use StreamIn to stream in the chat information (since I want to use the rft format). I user \Par to perfrom line skipping, however, for some reason, on the computer of one of my user who's using Windows98, it doesn't not work and instand of seeing the text the way it should be (with the line skipping) the...