OT - perhaps, aren't this the time to get rid of all ms-proprietary

http://www.kbasic.com/doku.php?id=vb6_vs._kbasic
Very interesting reading there. I have an almost finished application.
But left vb5-coding for about 3 years ago. Had other things to do,
for a while. But planned getting back to it. I just went through all
ms-newsgroups subscribed too. More than half disappeared.
A message poping up: Unknown; no such name exist.

I feel it diffecult going back using vb5
or any other Microsoft product. I have 4 machines with ms-operating
systems (It's easier now to scrap the older ones of these). After
reading the above from kbasic, I'm wondering, how much work it
would take to transform a vb5 project into working as a kbasic project.

I would like to get rid of microsoft's proprietary platforms by now,
caused by their current stupidity.
Reading above page; kbasic seems to be just like vb6.
Probably, they're exaggerating.? If not, you could download a
code-snip from a vb6 code-base and almost use it right away. No.?
/se
0
senn

Not difficult, do you ask this as professional.

Simply ask your users what they think,  when you tell you will remove all
the office stuff from their computers.

As an amateur, using Linux is always a good try.

All was it alone to see if Microsoft products are as good that more then 90%
of the world population is using it which tells for you it are all idiots.

A pity is (I mean this) you cannot put in the Microsoft newsgroups anymore
your experience. I like it always that somebody else try this instead of me,
because I'm biased about the result.

"senn" <senn@homeplace&.fix> wrote in message
> http://www.kbasic.com/doku.php?id=vb6_vs._kbasic
> Very interesting reading there. I have an almost finished application.
> But left vb5-coding for about 3 years ago. Had other things to do, for a
> while. But planned getting back to it. I just went through all
> ms-newsgroups subscribed too. More than half disappeared.
> A message poping up: Unknown; no such name exist.
>
> I feel it diffecult going back using vb5
> or any other Microsoft product. I have 4 machines with ms-operating
> systems (It's easier now to scrap the older ones of these). After
> reading the above from kbasic, I'm wondering, how much work it
> would take to transform a vb5 project into working as a kbasic project.
>
> I would like to get rid of microsoft's proprietary platforms by now,
> caused by their current stupidity. Reading above page; kbasic seems to be
> just like vb6.
> Probably, they're exaggerating.? If not, you could download a
> code-snip from a vb6 code-base and almost use it right away. No.?
> /se

0
Cor
6/4/2010 7:52:48 PM
"Cor Ligthert[MVP]" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> skrev i meddelelsen
> Not difficult, do you ask this as professional.
>
> Simply ask your users what they think,  when you tell you will remove all
> the office stuff from their computers.
>
> As an amateur, using Linux is always a good try.
>
> All was it alone to see if Microsoft products are as good that more then
> 90% of the world population is using it which tells for you it are all
> idiots.
>
> A pity is (I mean this) you cannot put in the Microsoft newsgroups anymore
> your experience. I like it always that somebody else try this instead of
> me, because I'm biased about the result.
>

> "senn" <senn@homeplace&.fix> wrote in message
>> http://www.kbasic.com/doku.php?id=vb6_vs._kbasic
>> Very interesting reading there. I have an almost finished application.
>> But left vb5-coding for about 3 years ago. Had other things to do, for a
>> while. But planned getting back to it. I just went through all
>> ms-newsgroups subscribed too. More than half disappeared.
>> A message poping up: Unknown; no such name exist.
>>
>> I feel it diffecult going back using vb5
>> or any other Microsoft product. I have 4 machines with ms-operating
>> systems (It's easier now to scrap the older ones of these). After
>> reading the above from kbasic, I'm wondering, how much work it
>> would take to transform a vb5 project into working as a kbasic project.
>>
>> I would like to get rid of microsoft's proprietary platforms by now,
>> caused by their current stupidity. Reading above page; kbasic seems to be
>> just like vb6.
>> Probably, they're exaggerating.? If not, you could download a
>> code-snip from a vb6 code-base and almost use it right away. No.?
>> /se

You damn fool, I didn't ask you. But I told you last; I'm not
a proffesional. Go home to your .netTrolls your damn provo.
You upset everyone here and now me. FOAD !.
/se

0
senn
6/4/2010 8:16:15 PM
:
[...]

No need to cut ones nose off to spite their face.  VB6 works fine for what I
do, and MSFT doesn't support it anyway.  The only person I would be hurting
in this scenario is me.  So until VB6 and programs produced by it no longer
work under Windows, I'm sticking with it.

Nothing you say makes sense.  Just...go away.

If you do not believe in time travel,
your beliefs are about to be tempered.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43606237254
"Cor Ligthert[MVP]" <Notmyfirstname@planet.nl> wrote in message
[...]
: >
: > I feel it diffecult going back using vb5
: > or any other Microsoft product. I have 4 machines with ms-operating
: > systems (It's easier now to scrap the older ones of these). After
: > reading the above from kbasic, I'm wondering, how much work it
: > would take to transform a vb5 project into working as a kbasic project.
: >
: > I would like to get rid of microsoft's proprietary platforms by now,
: > caused by their current stupidity. Reading above page; kbasic seems to
be
: > just like vb6.
: > Probably, they're exaggerating.? If not, you could download a
: > code-snip from a vb6 code-base and almost use it right away. No.?
: > /se
:

"senn" <senn@homeplace&.fix> wrote in message

> http://www.kbasic.com/doku.php?id=vb6_vs._kbasic
> Very interesting reading there. I have an almost finished application.
> But left vb5-coding for about 3 years ago. Had other things to do, for a
> while. But planned getting back to it. I just went through all
> ms-newsgroups subscribed too. More than half disappeared.
> A message poping up: Unknown; no such name exist.
>
> I feel it diffecult going back using vb5
> or any other Microsoft product. I have 4 machines with ms-operating
> systems (It's easier now to scrap the older ones of these). After
> reading the above from kbasic, I'm wondering, how much work it
> would take to transform a vb5 project into working as a kbasic project.
>
> I would like to get rid of microsoft's proprietary platforms by now,
> caused by their current stupidity. Reading above page; kbasic seems to be
> just like vb6.
> Probably, they're exaggerating.? If not, you could download a
> code-snip from a vb6 code-base and almost use it right away. No.?
> /se

No point throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I just wish Microsoft would open source VB6. No ActiveX support is a deal
breaker for me, and most of these alternatives are fine in their own right
but wannabes when compared to VB.

Viken

0
Viken
6/5/2010 12:02:09 AM
"Viken Cerpovna" <viken@spam.com> skrev i meddelelsen
> "senn" <senn@homeplace&.fix> wrote in message
>>
>> http://www.kbasic.com/doku.php?id=vb6_vs._kbasic
>> Very interesting reading there. I have an almost finished application.
>> But left vb5-coding for about 3 years ago. Had other things to do, for a
>> while. But planned getting back to it. I just went through all
>> ms-newsgroups subscribed too. More than half disappeared.
>> A message poping up: Unknown; no such name exist.
>>
>> I feel it diffecult going back using vb5
>> or any other Microsoft product. I have 4 machines with ms-operating
>> systems (It's easier now to scrap the older ones of these). After
>> reading the above from kbasic, I'm wondering, how much work it
>> would take to transform a vb5 project into working as a kbasic project.
>>
>> I would like to get rid of microsoft's proprietary platforms by now,
>> caused by their current stupidity. Reading above page; kbasic seems to be
>> just like vb6.
>> Probably, they're exaggerating.? If not, you could download a
>> code-snip from a vb6 code-base and almost use it right away. No.?
>> /se
>

> No point throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
>
> I just wish Microsoft would open source VB6. No ActiveX support is a deal
> breaker for me, and most of these alternatives are fine in their own right
> but wannabes when compared to VB.
>
> Viken
Old sayings very realistic, indeed.
I noticed it on the page - no support for ActiveX.
 Individual programmers best knows what is best for them.
Of course, the ones having applications running made in vb6
will have to maintain applications in it. As a none professional
I probably can do a replace. It satisfied me having the choise of
following my feelings. I did download a trial tonight. It's now installed.
Have to pay euro25 for it. Why pay for a Borland. When kbasic is
true object oriented and have the good things of C++ and can compile
to both windows, linux and mac.
-At least theire page inform so. That's up to a trial.

If ms gave free vb6, the situation then alters somewhat. Not that I
would like them. But they improved a bit. VB6 is still proprietary.

Anyway, divorses is sometimes appropriate.

My homesite stat shows IE in use of less than 85%. It's steadily
falling. In usa it's probably around 50%. Firefox is used. Signs are
right now, it'll go likewise with all other from ms. I hope so.
/se

0
senn

Every time I open Publisher 2000, I have to use the SR-1 CD, can .
-- Pulaski Computer Medic Please post your question in the message body, otherwise we cannot read your entire question. Thank you. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm How to Act Smart on Usenet http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp Otherwise, you might as well try here: P...

OT...check this out...OT
http://www.escapeyesterworld.com/ try all the controls -- John Inzer Thanks John...pretty nifty. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message news:uuhImG%23mFHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > http://www.escapeyesterworld.com/ > try all the controls > > -- > > John Inzer > > ...

trouble sending emails kept getting error
here is the error message i am getting. email was working fine until earlier today? The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'sale-rp86t-1574575325@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]'. Su...

Is there a way to get the position of the cursor in an edit box?
If I have an edit box with 50 characters of text is there a way for me to know that they have the cursor in position 32? -- Edward Fultz Sr. Software Engineer Pamet Systems Acton, Ma www.pametsystems.com Try GetCaretPos(). ------ Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Ed Fultz" <edward.fultz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23jH7q8iKFHA.2716@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > If I have an edit box with 50 characters of text is there a way for me to > know that they have the cursor in position 32? Do you mean the caret? See if GetCaretPos followed by EM_CHARFROMPOS works. -- ...

VC and Cobra and OTS
Hello, Can i use VC to build a project using cobra and OTS to communicate with other UNIX system? Do you mean CORBA? WTH "So Sick" <Sug@sug.com.hk> wrote in message news:OJ6KUh%232DHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Can i use VC to build a project using cobra and OTS to communicate with > other UNIX system? > > > > yes ..... sorry. "WTH" <spamsucks@Ih8it.com> wrote in message news:u09iMT$2DHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Do you mean CORBA? > > WTH > > "So Sick" <Sug@sug.com.hk>...

Can't get third outlook account to show up
MS Outlook 2k3 This is frustrating me, I did the typical add email stuff and all went well, but now the email isnt showing up in my arranged list (arranging by accounts so I can view all my emails at the same time) When I try to send an email, however, I can choose this account from the accounts drop down menu, and it will send an email. any ideas? i've been searching forever. So you're using the Arrange By | E-mail Account view on your Inbox and you don't see this 3rd e-mail account as one of the groups? First, do you have any e-mails actually FROM that account to show? I...

Need to change Activity attribute Date Created to 'Date and Time'
When viewing open and Historical activities from the view of the parent, the associated view comes from the Activity Enitity. The attributes for 'Date Created' and 'Actual End' are DateTime fields and are set to 'Date Only'. I am not able to cahge that as I am in other entities. I would like the option to change those attributes to 'Date and Time'. Thanks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message ...

elapsed time calculation
I am preparing a worksheet which calculates the length of a telephone cal from one time to another. I have a formula, which will calculate the elapsed time in the form h:mm:ss. I also need to add the total elapsed time of many calls with the goal of expressing the answer as minutes and tenths of minutes, for example the total may be 3,478.4 minutes. Any ideas how I can calculate elapsed time expressed as minutes and tenths of minutes rather that h:mm:ss? -- rwf To get decimal minutes use =SUM(Range)*1440 or perhaps =ROUND(SUM(Range)*1440,2) and format as general -- Regards, Peo Sj...

Couldn't read attachment tried excel can't get back
help-can't get back This site may help. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsAndTipsForNewsgroupUsers.aspx Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 14:39:01 -0800, rdsm <rdsm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >help-can't get back ...

Formula to Average times...again
I am still having some problems with trying to find a formula for this. I have in my spreadsheet the following: HOME ADMIT ELAPSED TIME x 00:10 5014-2 00:20 4017 00:15 x 00:07 ICU 00:25 I have formulas to figure the elapsed time on all pateints. I need a formula to figure the average time of admits only. I got help earlier and the formula works to average time for patients that go home but I could not get it to work on the admits. The formula is: =SUMIF(HOME,&q...

Entourage not showing all contacts with MS/Exchange Online
Hi, I have a user who has over 2000 contacts being shown on Outlook Web Access, but when looking at the contacts folder in Entourage it only shows 419. She's reconfigured the application through the single sign on client and emptied the folder cache on her contacts folder. I see it downloading 2000+ but it still only shows 419 contacts. I've called MSOnline but they didn't have much help other than the steps I've taken. Anyone familiar with this type of issue, or familiar with MAC's in general? ...

Round time to 15 minutes.
I have a simple formula that subtracts h:mm from h:mm. I would like to round that time if < 8 minutes down 15 minutes and if > 8 minutes up 15 minutes. How do you do that? Thanks, Mike As there are 96 15 minute periods in a day, you could multiply the time by 96, round it to the nearest 1 and then divide by 96 again. Like =round(time*96,1)/96 --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Mike! One way: =ROUND(A16/"00:15",0)*"00:15" -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Class...

query timing out. how do you stop this from happening?
What can be done to keep a querie from constantly timing out? Almost all my queries and functions are doing this lately as my database grows. Any advice on this is very much welcome. Thanks, MC -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200705/1 ...

How can I get Resource Mailboxes for conference rooms to auto accept appointments as 'busy' not tentative?
We are running Exchange 2000 with Outlook 2002. I have created about 6 resource mailboxes, and each is assigned to one of conference rooms in the building. They all seem to be working except one called Meeting Room 1c. Whenever you book an appointment in there, it is displayed as 'tentative' in its calendar, when appointments created in the other rooms' mailboxes show correctly as 'busy'. The default permissions for this calendar are set as 'author' and meeting requests are set to automatically accepted. I even deleted this mailbox and created a new one with the sam...

Time problem
Hi, Does anyone know how to use conditional formatting to take a saved time and then find the difference between the saved time and the current time to change a cell color. I am trying to use this to keep cell information up to date by changing it a different color if the worksheet time has not been updated in an hour. Any suggestions? -Phoenix ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way: Assume the saved time is in A1, and is saved as an XL time (rather...

I receive excel files in .csv and cannot get them to open up in a.
I receive files in .csv and they open up and are not understandable. How can I get these to open up in a normal .xls file? I have tried to save them to the desktop and right clicking on them to open them but that doesn't work either. Hi, when you are attempting to open the file in excel have you selected "Files of type" and chosen Text?. CSV stands for Comma separated value. Excel should have no problem recognising it. it shoud then step you through the process of formatting it for excel, just choose "," as the separator. Also you can first see if the file has...

How do I access multiple outlook accounts at the same time?
In our office there are multiple outlook acct's i'd like to be able to access at the same time. Is it possible to look at one account while having another open? Also does anyone know how to personalize mass e-mailings with the person's first name? jaycee <jaycee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In our office there are multiple outlook acct's i'd like to be able > to access at the same time. Is it possible to look at one account > while having another open? Accounts don't get "opened" in Outlook. Outlook can certainly manage multiple...

Getting text and grid at a 45 degree angle
I'm trying to create an affordance structure matrix (if anyone actually knows what that is!). It has a regular grid and then a grid above it, rotated 45 degrees. I know how to rotate the text, but that only gives me the grid lines for half of the grid. When I change the grid lines to diagonal, I can't put marks in all of the squares. Can you do what I want in Excel or do I have to use a drawing program? Hi, It may be possible to draw the gridlines and markers using additional series plotted as xy scatter chart. If you need more help can you post a link to an example of one of t...

OT
OT - OFF - TOPIC Hola amig@s; El gobierno Colombiano en su continuo inter�s de ofrecer oportunidades acad�micas y profesionales a todos sus habitantes y a todos los interesados en capacitaci�n ha preparado una de las mejores plataformas de educaci�n virtual, con cursos virtuales "certificados" con cero costo. Los invito a visitar la WEB del Servicio nacional de Aprendizaje, nacionales o extranjeros pueden acceder a una de las plataformas educativas gratuitas mejor estructuradas y pagadas por todos los Colombianos. Hay cursos de inform�tica, office, outlook , cursos de Excel...

Newbie question
Hi - How do I total a column of hours and minutes. I've tried =sum(a1:a5) but it give me less than the total time. Thanks - Dave --- David Scott Hampshire, England Hi, Dave. you need to format that sum cell as [h]:mm See: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/adding_or_summing_time_in_microsoft_excel.htm ************ Anne Troy VBA Project Manager www.OfficeArticles.com "Dave S" <cadasco@SUPERhotmail.com> wrote in message news:3thrh8Fssb55U1@individual.net... > Hi - How do I total a column of hours and minutes. I've tried =sum(a1:a5) > but it give me less t...

Get list of Deliverables for an Enterprise Project
I want to get back a list of Deliverables for the active Enterprise Project. There is the command DeliverablesGetByProject(string projectGuid). I can get the Project's GUID (GetServerProjectGid), however after the call, I get the exception Run-time error '438': Object doesn't support this property or method What's the right way to get the list of deliverables on this project? Thank you. You probably want to post this to the Developer group. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > I want to get back a list of Deliverables ...

Getting external data filters
I have successfully generated queeries to import data in my spreadsheets, but I don't know if I can or how to do something. My filtering data can change because it is personnel based, so I want to know if I can generate a queery that will allow the user to define the filters without having to redo the queery every time someone moves out of the respective work section or a new person joins. Basically, can I have a data entry area for them to list employees and have a queery reference this list to sort out the new data for only those people? Is there another way to do it? I am learning a...

Ms. Pub. Formatting Toolbar gone
Opened Publisher 2000 last week and my formatting toolbar has dissapeared. Cannot reset it using VIEW-TOOLBARS- FORMATTING. It will reset all toobars, but formatting. Tried uninstalling pub. and reinstalling it. Still gone. Cannot center, bold, change font ect, directly from toolbar. Read some article from microsoft about runing something in browse, but a memory access violation appears. How do I get my formatting toolbar back? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from herbfarm <herbfarm@iowatelecom.net>... > Opened Publisher 2000 last w...

Convert time stored as decimalised number to time format
Hello How can I convert 3.5 hours to 3:30:00? -- Emma Emma A1/24 and formate as time Mike Rogers "Emma" wrote: > Hello > How can I convert 3.5 hours to 3:30:00? > -- > Emma ...

Wrong time in Outlook
Hi, I've got a really strange problem. My Mails in Outlook have all the wrong time - 9 hours back. This affects incoming and outgoing mails. It can't be a matter of the e-mail-provider because I've got accounts in gmx, web, yahoo, gmail and all have the same problem. Where can outlook get the wrong time ? The system time is correct of course. Thanks for your help. Ralf is the system time zone correct? whois shows your posting IP is in Germany... and windows defaults to pacific time zone so that would account for the difference. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Te...