One liner challenge

Well at least it's a challenge for me :-)

What is an elegant way of referring to the first string item delimited by=
 a space without
assigning to a string array variable as a separate step?

Normally you could do...
dim strArray() as string
MyStr =3D "1 2 3"
strArray =3D Split(MyStr)
Debug.Print strArray(0)=20

Debug.Print Split(MyStr,,1)   'return one sub string parameter naturally =
doesn't work

Why am I doing this?
MyStr is already used in a complicated IIF statement but I only want the =
first item in the
string.

While some may say that readability is an issue but many IIF statements =
in a row are
actually the readability factor in this particular code (just the stuff =
in the IIF may
require a second look).=20

Thanks!
-mhd
0
mhd

-mhd wrote:
> Well at least it's a challenge for me :-)
>
> What is an elegant way of referring to the first string item
> delimited by a space without
> assigning to a string array variable as a separate step?

MyStr = "1 2 3"
Debug.Print Split(MyStr)(0)

--
   Jim Mack
   Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

> Well at least it's a challenge for me :-)
>
> What is an elegant way of referring to the first string item delimited by a space without
> assigning to a string array variable as a separate step?
>
> Normally you could do...
> dim strArray() as string
> MyStr = "1 2 3"
> strArray = Split(MyStr)
> Debug.Print strArray(0)
>
> Debug.Print Split(MyStr,,1)   'return one sub string parameter naturally doesn't work
>
> Why am I doing this?
> MyStr is already used in a complicated IIF statement but I only want the first item in the
> string.
>
> While some may say that readability is an issue but many IIF statements in a row are
> actually the readability factor in this particular code (just the stuff in the IIF may
> require a second look).
>
> Thanks!
> -mhd

MsgBox Split(mystrStr, " ")(0)

0
David
9/10/2010 5:21:38 PM
-mhd wrote:
> What is an elegant way of referring to the first string item
> delimited by a space without assigning to a string array variable as
> a separate step?
> MyStr = "1 2 3"

Debug.Print Mid$(MyStr,1,InStr$(MyStr," ")-1)

Not terribly elegant, but one line.

> While some may say that readability is an issue but many IIF statements in a row are
> actually the readability factor in this particular code (just the stuff in the IIF may
> require a second look).

IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions in
VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost any
other construct.

dpb
9/10/2010 5:22:00 PM
Who cares about elegant code?  Your users don't care how elegant, cute, or
clever your code is. They just want a program that works.  I bet Microsoft
can create cute some code, but it always doesn't work, does it?

"-mhd" <not_real@invalid.com> wrote in message
Well at least it's a challenge for me :-)

What is an elegant way of referring to the first string item delimited by a
space without
assigning to a string array variable as a separate step?

Normally you could do...
dim strArray() as string
MyStr = "1 2 3"
strArray = Split(MyStr)
Debug.Print strArray(0)

Debug.Print Split(MyStr,,1)   'return one sub string parameter naturally
doesn't work

Why am I doing this?
MyStr is already used in a complicated IIF statement but I only want the
first item in the
string.

While some may say that readability is an issue but many IIF statements in a
row are
actually the readability factor in this particular code (just the stuff in
the IIF may
require a second look).

Thanks!
-mhd

> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions in
> VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost any other
> construct.

Why avoid it? If it's only called a couple of times, what difference does it
make if it has a lot of overhead?  It's more important to write clear,
understandable code than to worry about code overhead. Worry about slow code
only when you have to.

"Jim Mack" <no-uce-ube@mdxi.com> wrote:

>MyStr =3D "1 2 3"
>Debug.Print Split(MyStr)(0)

Thanks!=20

-mhd
0
mhd
9/10/2010 6:18:49 PM
David Kerber <dkerber@WarrenRogersAssociates.invalid> wrote:

>MsgBox Split(mystrStr, " ")(0)

Thanks!=20

-mhd
0
mhd
9/10/2010 6:19:07 PM
dpb <none@non.net> wrote:

>Debug.Print Mid$(MyStr,1,InStr$(MyStr," ")-1)
>
>Not terribly elegant, but one line.

Thanks that works for me too!

-mhd
0
mhd
9/10/2010 6:22:10 PM
"J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:

>Who cares about elegant code?  Your users don't care how elegant, cute, =
or=20
>clever your code is. They just want a program that works.  I bet =
Microsoft=20
>can create cute some code, but it always doesn't work, does it?

=46or my own readability purpose I didn't want to break up a series of =
IIF statements with
an If Then ElseIf qualifier containing  a split assignment statement =
between them.

-mhd
0
mhd
9/10/2010 6:28:01 PM
The one bad thing about IIF is that the "true part" and "false part" are
evaluated first before decision. Sometimes, one of the part would raise an
error.

"J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:

>Who cares about elegant code?  Your users don't care how elegant, cute, or
>clever your code is. They just want a program that works.  I bet Microsoft
>can create cute some code, but it always doesn't work, does it?

For my own readability purpose I didn't want to break up a series of IIF
statements with
an If Then ElseIf qualifier containing  a split assignment statement between
them.

-mhd

0
Phil
9/10/2010 6:41:41 PM
I was just making a generalized comment about programming. Code readability
and correctness is more important than cute--wow, would you look at
that!--code.

"Phil Hunt" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote:

>The one bad thing about IIF is that the "true part" and "false part" are=
=20
>evaluated first before decision. Sometimes, one of the part would raise =
an=20
>error.

True but in this case it is safe.

-mhd
0
mhd
9/10/2010 6:51:26 PM
"-mhd" <not_real@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
[...]

SomeString = Left$(MyStr, InStr(1, MyStr, " ") - 1)

/Henning

0
Henning
9/10/2010 7:53:03 PM
J.C. wrote:
>> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions
>> in VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost
>> any other construct.
>
> Why avoid it? If it's only called a couple of times, what difference
> does it make if it has a lot of overhead?  It's more important to write
> clear, understandable code than to worry about code overhead. Worry
> about slow code only when you have to.

OP says it's called often, first.

Second, why not code for efficiency when it is trivial to do so?

Third, it's also generally difficult to read (ie, clarity isn't enhanced
vis a vis the alternatives).

imo, $0.02, etc., etc, etc., ...

dpb
9/10/2010 8:00:25 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:48:47 -0500, "J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:

>I was just making a generalized comment about programming. Code readability
>and correctness is more important than cute--wow, would you look at
>that!--code.

A while back I recall instructors stating that if you wrote the code
in a test in WatFiv or other program you would get partial marks if
only a few minor details wrong.

But if you wrote your solution in APL and it didn't work you didn't
get any marks for the answer.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
dpb wrote:

<snip>

> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions in
> VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost any
> other construct.
>
> --
Then why didn't you include the qualifier?

If IIF() is used occasionally, then who cares if it takes a poofteenth of a
microsecond longer (than what, btw)?

Even in a loop that iterates for only tens or even a few hundred times, it
probably makes no difference - would YOU (as a user) notice if a program took
milliseconds longer to run in 4 Gigabytes of RAM running at 3.3Ghz?

If an IFF() is used in a loop for thousands(millions?) of operations, and
compared to the same program using an IF..ENDIF,  _THEN_ I'd agree with you.

That's the qualifier -

IFF() is an overhead intensive function, _so in extremely loop intensive
situations it WILL increase program time compared to an IF.. ENDIF construct_

I don't really know how much overhead it uses, probably less than a Kb - but
even if it uses 100Kb, that's a red herring when there's 2, 4 or more
***GIGABYTES*** of memory to use.

That's the rub, mate. It's not the usage, it's the comparison to other
constructs that shows the difference.

I can only see the paranoia about time and overhead if a programmer is still
trying to reduce a program to fit into a SC/MP kit from the 60's. (Yep, I'm old
enough to know what it is, and if you, the reader, know what it is, it tells you
why I'm responding to this post).

I've seen responses to older posts arguing over how much time is taken by a
given statement or construct, but can only show the difference in time with
MILLIONS of loop cycles to prove their point

With modern PC's running with multi-core gigahertz processors having gigabytes
of memory at their disposal (but not ever using all of that), WHAT'S THE POINT
IN ARGUING OVER WHETHER A ONE LINE STATEMENT RUNS SLOWER THAN A FIVE LINE
STATEMENT, AND BY HOW MUCH.

Just accept it.
0
argusy
9/11/2010 12:07:25 AM

J.C. wrote:
> I was just making a generalized comment about programming. Code
> readability and correctness is more important than cute--wow, would you
> look at that!--code.
>
> "-mhd" <not_real@invalid.com> wrote in message
> "J.C." <yoyo@nothanks.com> wrote:
>
>> Who cares about elegant code?  Your users don't care how elegant,
>> cute, or
>> clever your code is. They just want a program that works.  I bet
>> Microsoft
>> can create cute some code, but it always doesn't work, does it?
>
> For my own readability purpose I didn't want to break up a series of IIF
> statements with
> an If Then ElseIf qualifier containing  a split assignment statement
> between them.
>
> -mhd
0
argusy
9/11/2010 12:07:41 AM
argusy wrote:
> dpb wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions
>> in VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost
>> any other construct.
>>
>> --
> Then why didn't you include the qualifier?

Becuz...rest of meaningless rant over nothing elided...

dpb
9/11/2010 12:30:03 AM
dpb wrote:
> argusy wrote:
>> dpb wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions
>>> in VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost
>>> any other construct.
>>>
>>> --
>> Then why didn't you include the qualifier?
>
> Becuz...rest of meaningless rant over nothing elided...
>
> --
Oh, thank you. Your reply says it all. No need to say any more
Graham
0
argusy
9/11/2010 2:44:11 AM
argusy wrote:
> dpb wrote:
>> argusy wrote:
>>> dpb wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Then why didn't you include the qualifier?
>>
>> Becuz...rest of meaningless rant over nothing elided...
>>
>> --
> Oh, thank you. Your reply says it all. No need to say any more
> Graham

Previously answered.

IIF() sucks big time both performance-wise and legibility vis a vis
alternatives.

dpb
9/11/2010 3:18:32 AM
-mhd wrote:

> For my own readability purpose I didn't want to break up a series of IIF statements with
> an If Then ElseIf qualifier containing  a split assignment statement between them.

This problem was solved over 60 years ago...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subroutine
0
Jason
9/11/2010 4:10:57 AM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:22:00 -0500, dpb <none@non.net> wrote:

>IIF() is

I find that sooner or later it's going to come back and cause you
problems because both sides are evaluated.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/11/2010 4:16:45 AM
dpb <none@non.net> wrote:

>J.C. wrote:
>>> IIF() is, while compact, one of the most overhead intensive functions=
=20
>>> in VB.  I'd recommend avoiding it like the plague in lieu of almost=20
>>> any other construct.
>>=20
>> Why avoid it? If it's only called a couple of times, what difference=20
>> does it make if it has a lot of overhead?  It's more important to =
write=20
>> clear, understandable code than to worry about code overhead. Worry=20
>> about slow code only when you have to.
>
>OP says it's called often, first.

No I didn't.

-mhd
0
mhd

can excel check one column against another
Hi. I have a spreadsheet with columns such as A, B, C, D, filled with numbers. Each row across such as row 1, then row 2, then row 3, etc of numbers is totaled in column E. Countless rows, each of which is totaled per row and then ends with a grand total at bottom of column E. Next comes columns F, G, H, also filled with numbers (but different numbers), which is totaled per row in Column I. At the bottom of Column I is a grand total. Even though arrived at using different sets of numbers, -both grand totals - in columns E and I must match. Sometimes they don't match. Ouch. So here is m...

why crash in the second method of one interface
Hi, Using one class generated from *.tlb to call 2 methods of one COM. The strange thing is that I got one error of the "First-chance exception in : 0xC0000005: Access Violation" in the second method. I also use ASP web page to call both methods of this COM and both methods seems is OK. ITemplateManage mytemplate; if (!mytemplate.CreateDispatch("comobj.TemplateManage")) { IDE_Error::Report (ComError|1,"ComObj.TemplateManage in FUN_Template::Add()"); return false; } result = mytemplate.Check (templatefilename); decodeparameter=mytemplate.GetInfo (templ...

MSR Credit Card Reader adds all the information on one line
Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # line. Thanks in advance! What type of CC reader(MSR) to you have? Typically this is an issue with simply configuring the MSR. Rob "Steakum" wrote: > Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from > the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # > line. > > Thanks in advance! Its a IDTECH Minimag USB/Keyboard Interface Do I need to select the Wedge Key...

grid off on one page
Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? thanks On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:37:11 -0600, "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote: >Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? Not really as it is a document wide setting.... however, there is workaround open the page shapesheet menu window -> Show shapesheet and set XGridSpacing and YGridSpacing to a large value. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. SSADM for Visio http://www.saadm.sandrila.co.uk/ On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:47:53 +0000, Paul Herber <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wro...

Duplicate Transactions, One When Pending, One When Posted
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I couldn't seem to find an answer searching: My problem is, a transaction occurs at my bank, and MM2K7 downloads the data for it. Once that transaction moves from "Pending" to "Posted" at my bank, the transaction data changes, so MM downloads it again. Sometimes I get a possible duplicate message from MM, sometimes I don't. What are people doing to handle this situation? Thank you. This is a problem with your bank, not with Money. Eventually they should fix it. Call them. In the meantime VOID the pending transacti...

One to One relationship
I have an Events entity that is an offshoot from the Contacts entity. Basically, it tracks what events each contact has been invited to, and is used mainly by the Events Coordinator. I've set it up as a One (Contact) to Many (Events) relationship. However, I really only want one event form for each contact form. The reason I've set up a different entity rather than just adding a tab is that access to this entity needs to be tightly controlled. Obviously, if many events forms are created for the one contact, it would be very difficult to tell which one is accurate etc. Is it possibl...

Next Date given one date
At this time, I cannot use VBA. Here is my objective: For a given treasury note security: Cell A1, Date 6/17/2004 - today's date Cell A2, Date 7/15/1997 - first coupon date I want to identify the "previous coupon date" and "next coupon date" from today's date based on the frequency of the "first coupon date". Logically speaking: * Security pays 2 times each year * Based on first coupon date, pay dates are: 1/15 & 7/15 * Given today is 6/17/04, the next pay date is 7/15/04. * Given today is 6/17/04, the previous pay date is 1/15/04. Can this be...

route inbound email from ip to one folder
Is there a way to route any incoming email from a certain IP address to a single folder? Our company is receiving emails from a source that we do not wish to receive, and would like these email to be directed to a singe folder rather than blocking them. Any ideas? Thanks. you could send them to the turf dir... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245465 "daine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11d501c4263d$f4d05110$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to route any incoming email from a certain > IP address to a single ...

One client (Server 2k8-R2/HyperV) will not sync with DPM
We have been running DPM successfully for about a year now without any major problems. Recently we added a new server - a fairly robust PowerEdge that will be housing 4 HyperV VMs. For whatever reason, I can't get anything but the HyperV "Initial Store" to sync correctly. I thought initially it might be a problem with the HyperV machines, but it also fails to back up a small directory of files on the host drive. The oddest part about this is I really don't get an error. It will try an initial sync and run for a day or two and show very minimal data tr...

Exchange 5.5 - One Organization
Hello - I am having a problem that I would like some more information on. I have One Organization (5.5) and 16 Sites (5.5) and would like to know why I can't stop the other sites from sending mail through me. If I can, I would like to know how. Thanks for any help. what do you mean by "sending mail through me"? What mail? Internet email? Does each site have its own Internet Mail Service? Or is your site kind of the "hub" where all Internet email comes in and goes out? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "dave.mudgett" <davemudgett@discussions.microsoft....

See more than one tab at a time
I would like to be able to see more than one Tab at a time in Excel. Currently I'm able to see two Tabs from different worksheets, but not two or more tabs from the same worksheet On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:57:03 -0700, "rocky59" <rocky59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to be able to see more than one Tab at a time in Excel. >Currently I'm able to see two Tabs from different worksheets, but not two or >more tabs from the same worksheet That would be because each tab represents a single worksheet. Clicking on the tab would move you from where ...

Why Would You Lose Sound On One User
WXP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3 with all current updates Dell Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80Ghz 2.79Ghz, 512 MB RAM System has three users all with admin rights - User 1(primary - me), User 2 (wife), and System Admin. (which I made visible on desktop). I (User 1) have lost sound when attempting to play CD's, and other audio files using WMP 11, however, I can still hear system sounds. User 2 and System Admin. still have full sound. System restore does not help ( in this case I only had a restore point from 5 days ago. Any thoughts? -- Skeeter "Old age and ...

Combining two fields into one in a query for a report
The database I am working on is to keep track of parts that are either in their storage area (on a shelf) or on an assembly line. I have two fields, one called Shelf and every part has a shelf assigned to it. The other field is Line and if a part in on an assembly line, there is a number indicating that line, if the part is on it's shelf, the word STOCK appears in the line field. (Has to be this way for the rest of the database to work, so this is not up for question) Now, I need to creat a report to show where all parts are. If they are on a line the result needs to show the l...

transferring money from one computer to another
Folks, I just got this laptop which I really like, but unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get my MS Money program (not the files-- that's a no-brainer) to my new computer. I downloaded the program and did not get the CD for it. Is there a way to do it? Both of these computers are mine, so I should be able to, but I can't figure it out. Thanks! Govind... There are almost no apps that can be moved from one machine to another these day. Almost all require having the installation routines. This is why I always recommend against "download" installations. &qu...

Tracing and tracking email on one mailbox
1. I want to use a current copy of the Exchange 2003 database and scrub it for all emails regarding one mailbox. Is there a tool that will assist me in this? 2. How do I tell Exchange 2003 to notify me of any emails transmitted to and from a particular address? And yes, this in conjunction with #1. I want to track one user's mail without using delegate or adding myself to their Active Directory profile and having to create another profile in Outlook. 1. Have a read through this: http://wm.quest.com/reg/marketing/landing/ediscoveryexchange/. This product is ideally suited for ...

One-to-one relationship
I am importing a DB from Filemaker with info about students (names, address, etc.). There is just one table and because it has been used for many years, it cannot be changed. I have created another table for additional student enrollment information. I have created a one-to-one relationship between the two tables using an autonumber primary key in the student table and a number primary key in the enrollment table. I have created two forms to add information to the tables. All new students are added via the old student form first. When I switch to the new student form, I can...

mstsc fails to connect on one of two laptops
I have to nearly identical HP laptops. Both are the same model, both are running Vista64 Home Premium. With mstsc, I can connect to my XP Pro SP3 system with no trouble at all. But on the other one, the connection fails with an illuminating "Cannot connect" message. No details as to why. I tried copying the Default.rdb file from the machine that can connect to the other one. That made no difference. I tried connecting as a different user, creating another .rdp file, but that didn't work either. Any ideas? Thanks, Jason In article <#UUSfR4wKHA.3564@TK2MS...

Pull publishers up and only one out of ten pages shows up. Why?
I am using Publisher 2003. I made a booklet and had 60 some odd pages on it, but when I pull it up now only 1 page shows. Why? and what have I done or can do to correct this problem? ...

How do I merge 3 lines of text to show in one row?
I am doing a family history excel document. One row should have approx. 3 lines of info, however, I can only get one row of info to show. When I dclick that row the info shows but when I print or do a print preview only one line of info shows. I have merged the cells in that row. It sounds like you need to select Wrap Text from the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialog and/or increase the height of the row to accommodate the numbers of rows of text in the cell. -- Ian -- "pita29" <pita29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3D24CC3-7B38-4461-9B29-6...

no one can solve this one
a new problem on my computer. whenever i click on a hyperlink of an email address, 64 new page windows pop up and then a warning message that states, cannot perform task because default email is not installed properly. so i downloaded the updates from microsoft and it still happens. it only happens with email hyperlinks. hyperlinks to other pages are fine. ...

text from one column into multiple columns
Hi, How can I take text entered like this: Mike Smith Toyota 123 Main St Anytown, TX 12345 phone 713 222 1212 fax 713 222 2121 ....and move it to where every address element (name, street, city, etc.) is in its own column? Text to Columns obviously won't work, and I've had no luck trying to make a macro to do it. Thanks, Jeff Hi do you always have the same amount of rows per record? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jeff Brown wrote: > Hi, > How can I take text entered like this: > Mike Smith Toyota > 123 Main St > Anytown, TX 12345 > phone 713 222 12...

One workstation unable to login?
Hi we are running version 8 of GP and all of sudden one of my PC's hangs up when trying login to GP. After you type in the name and password it just hangs and says not responding when you go to close it? We upraded from 7.5 about 6 months ago or so it has been working fine up until Moday? Anyone know where I might look at to see why it hangs when logging in? Try logging in as System Admin, pull up the User record and re-enter the password (same or new) I cant login at all from this particular workstaion when I try through the ODBC connection I get the following error. It'...

One click time
I know the question has been asked and the simple answer is ctrl - shift - : to add time in a cell. Unfortunatly sometimes the easy solution is still difficult. I would like to know how to click on a cell and have the time appear. Because i do security patrols and my laptop is mounted in my vehicle. It"s difficult to type unless i stop to look at the keyboard and it's still typing with one hand. If anyone is willing to tell that would be great. I am new to excel and i am willing for trial and error. Thanks Hi, It colud be done like this. Right click your sheet tab, view code a...

one to one relationships
I hope i am explaining this right, I have created a very simple database in microsoft access to contain information and does not need to preform any calculations. It simply stores data like pages from a survey. The problem i am facing is that i have for example 300 records and 6 forms and 6 tables all of them are related with a one to many relationship and the database works. However when i am on my primary page and reviewing record # 6 for example, when i click on my button linking to my next form, the record resets to 1 and i have to scroll to #6. is there a way i can set my database ...