Old VB Project doesn't work with New Office or Windows 7

Is there anyone that can recommend a solution to 'fix' an old VB application?
It's a report card program that uses a Word template and fills in the word
document from this .exe file created in VB. I have no idea how to debug as I
am not the one who programmed it nor do I know antything more than beginner
basic. It appears to be a very simple program and the folder consists of a
few .bas files, .frx, and .frm files. I downloaded Visual Studio Pro to debug
the .exe file, but I don't know where to begin.

Problem:

The program asks you to open the word document(Which it does), but when you
click the tabs with the form, it tells me the document is not open. I
attempted to look at the code, and I think the error is coming from around
this area:
'Global CONNECTED As Boolean 'flag if word document is opened correctly
Sub InitializeName()
'need err handler here
On Error GoTo errorinit

FirstName = wrdapp.ActiveDocument.FormFields("FFtxtFirstname").Result
'On Error GoTo errorinit
LastName = wrdapp.ActiveDocument.FormFields("FFtxtLastName").Result

errorinit:
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
'"Number " & Err.Number & vbCrLf &
'MsgBox Err.Description & vbCrLf & "file not opened correctly"
Err.Clear
MsgBox "There was an error reading the student's name" & vbCrLf & "Please
make sure you have opened a Report Card Word File and the name has been
entered correctly."
FirstName = ""
LastName = ""
'wrdapp.Application.Quit
Exit Sub
End If
'Exit Sub
'Resume Next '?
End Sub
Sub PageLength()
Dim PageCount As Integer
Dim response As Integer
'On Error GoTo errorhandler
On Error Resume Next
PageCount =
wrdapp.ActiveDocument.ComputeStatistics(Statistic:=wdStatisticPages)
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
   'WordwasNotRunning = True
    Err.Clear   ' Clear Err object in case error occurred.
    'MsgBox "The Word document for your student " & FirstName & " is not
open. "
    Exit Sub
End If
If PageCount <> 2 Then
response = MsgBox("report is longer than two pages and will not print
correctly. ", vbCritical, "REPORT TOO LONG!")
End If
'errorhandler:
'MsgBox "Student file is not opened correctly"
'Exit Sub
'Resume

End Sub
'Public Sub AddHScroll(List As ListBox)
  '  Dim i As Integer, intGreatestLen As Integer, lngGreatestWidth As Long
  '  'Find Longest Text in Listbox

    'For i = 0 To List.ListCount - 1
       ' If Len(List.List(i)) > Len(List.List(intGreatestLen)) Then
           ' intGreatestLen = i
       ' End If
   ' Next i
  '  'Get Twips
  '  lngGreatestWidth = List.Parent.TextWidth(List.List(intGreatestLen) +
Space(1))
   ' 'Space(1) is used to prevent the last Ch
   ' '     aracter from being cut off
   ' 'Convert to Pixels
   ' lngGreatestWidth = lngGreatestWidth \ Screen.TwipsPerPixelX
   ' 'Use api to add scrollbar
   ' SendMessage List.hWnd, LB_SETHORIZONTALEXTENT, lngGreatestWidth, 0
    'End Sub

Sub TestLength(Section As String)
Dim LC As Integer
'set font size to 12
'On Error GoTo errorhandler

On Error Resume Next
wrdapp.Application.Windows(namedoc).Activate

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
   'WordwasNotRunning = True
    Err.Clear   ' Clear Err object in case error occurred.
    MsgBox "The Word document for your student " & FirstName & " is not
open. " & vbCrLf & "Please open using File - Open "
    frmTab.Caption = "Report Card Writer" & " - No student file open"
    FirstName = ""
    LastName = ""
    namedoc = ""
    frmTab.staRC.SimpleText = "No student's file is open.  Open a student's
file using File - Open or see Help for creating new student's file"

    Exit Sub

....because the message I keep getting is "The Word document for your student
{studentname} is not open." I then try to open

So for some reason, the .exe file thinks Word is not open. What's weird is
that this program works on some XP machines with Office 2003 installed. Some
other PC's running XP and Office 2003 don't work with the error descibed
above. When I install on a Windows 7 and Office 2010, I get pretty much the
same error. I really want to get this program to run.

It must have to do with the link between Office and the .exe file.

-JoeF

Top posted:

What version of VB was the code originally written is, or what version are
you attempting to load the code up in?

Where are the location of the Word files you are attempting to open?

Win7 has stricter rules about file IO that in XP...so before I can take a
closer look at this, I would need to know some of these things.

- Kev

"JoeF" <JoeF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Is there anyone that can recommend a solution to 'fix' an old VB
application?
: It's a report card program that uses a Word template and fills in the word
: document from this .exe file created in VB. I have no idea how to debug as
: am not the one who programmed it nor do I know antything more than
beginner
: basic. It appears to be a very simple program and the folder consists of a
: few .bas files, .frx, and .frm files. I downloaded Visual Studio Pro to
debug
: the .exe file, but I don't know where to begin.
:
: Problem:
:
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:
: ...because the message I keep getting is "The Word document for your
student
: {studentname} is not open." I then try to open
:
: So for some reason, the .exe file thinks Word is not open. What's weird is
: that this program works on some XP machines with Office 2003 installed.
Some
: other PC's running XP and Office 2003 don't work with the error descibed
: above. When I install on a Windows 7 and Office 2010, I get pretty much
the
: same error. I really want to get this program to run.
:
: It must have to do with the link between Office and the .exe file.
:
: -JoeF

0
Kevin
8/5/2010 12:39:00 AM
Thanks for the reply...I believe it was VB 6. I'm using Notepad to look at
the code currently. I downloaded Visual Studio Pro 2010 to attempt debugging
the .exe file...but I'm so far removed from this stuff.

I found a .pdm file that references Visual Studio\VB98...
I found a .vbp file that shows:

==================================================================================================================================
Type=Exe
Reference=*\G{00020430-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}#2.0#0#..\..\..\..\..\WINDOWS\System32\stdole2.tlb#OLE Automation
Reference=*\G{2DF8D04C-5BFA-101B-BDE5-00AA0044DE52}#2.0#0#..\..\..\..\..\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office10\MSO.DLL#Microsoft Office 8.0
Object Library
Reference=*\G{00020905-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}#8.0#409#..\..\..\..\..\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSWORD.OLB#Microsoft Word 8.0 Object Library
Form=frmEngCognitive.frm
Reference=*\G{00025E01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}#5.0#0#..\..\..\..\..\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll#Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object
Library
Module=Module1; Report Card Module.bas
Form=frmEngLanguage.frm
Reference=*\G{0D452EE1-E08F-101A-852E-02608C4D0BB4}#2.0#0#..\..\..\..\..\WINDOWS\System32\FM20.DLL#Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library
Form=frmEngSocial.frm
Form=frmSpanCognitive2.frm
Form=frmSpanLanguage.frm
Form=frmPT.frm
Form=frmOT.frm
Form=frmAbout.frm
Designer=frmEditTextTeachers.frm
Object={BDC217C8-ED16-11CD-956C-0000C04E4C0A}#1.1#0; TABCTL32.OCX
Reference=*\G{3D5C6BF0-69A3-11D0-B393-00A0C9055D8E}#1.0#0#..\..\..\..\..\Program
Files\Common Files\designer\MSDERUN.DLL#Microsoft Data Environment Instance
1.0 (SP4)
Reference=*\G{00000205-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}#2.5#0#..\..\..\..\..\Program
Files\Common Files\system\ado\msado25.tlb#Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5
Library
Form=frmTab.frm
Module=Modulept; ModulePT.bas
Designer=frmEngSelfHelp.frm
Designer=frmEngFM.frm
Designer=frmSpanFM.frm
Designer=frmSpanSelfHelp.frm
Designer=frmSpanSocial.frm
Form=frmSplash.frm
Form=frmHelp.frm
Form=frmSpeech5Ps.frm
Module=ModuleSpeech; ModuleSpeech.bas
Module=ModuleOT; ModuleOT.bas
Form=frmSpeechMainEnglish.frm
Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.0#0; MSCOMCTL.OCX
Module=ModuleTeacherSection; ModuleTeacherSection.bas
Form=frmCounselingEng.frm
Module=ModuleCounseling; ModuleCounseling.bas
Class=comdlg; comdlg.cls
Startup="Sub Main"
HelpFile=""
Title="report card"
Command32=""
Name="ReportCard"
HelpContextID="0"
CompatibleMode="0"
MajorVer=1
MinorVer=0
RevisionVer=0
AutoIncrementVer=0
ServerSupportFiles=0
VersionCompanyName=""
CompilationType=0
OptimizationType=0
FavorPentiumPro(tm)=0
CodeViewDebugInfo=0
NoAliasing=0
BoundsCheck=0
OverflowCheck=0
FlPointCheck=0
FDIVCheck=0
UnroundedFP=0
StartMode=0
Unattended=0
Retained=0
ThreadPerObject=0
MaxNumberOfThreads=1
DebugStartupOption=0

[MS Transaction Server]
AutoRefresh=1

: Thanks for the reply...I believe it was VB 6. I'm using Notepad to look at
: the code currently. I downloaded Visual Studio Pro 2010 to attempt
debugging
: the .exe file...but I'm so far removed from this stuff.

NO!!!! STOP!!!!

Code written in VB6 will not compile or even work in VS 2010.  And even if
you make it work, you'll have a several hundred megabyte runtime issue you
don't want to deal with, especially if you are dealing with multiple
machines all with varying OSs.

Do you have VB 5 or 6 to work with?  I am going to do my best to help save
this project for you...but be aware we have an ongoing (and mostly ugly)
debate about VB6 and what MSFT calls VB.NET.  They are not the same thing
(and watch the amount of replies I get from this point forward telling me I
am wrong and why .NET is the way of the future, blah, blah, blah.  All
opinions.  The truth in your scenario is using VB.Net or VS 2010, you will
have to rewrite your project from the ground up, if you choose that route.
All the "upgrade wizards" in the world are still going to leave you with a
significant amount of work based on what I've seen so far.  There is no
getting around that, especially if you are a novice programmer.

If you do not have access to VB 5 or 6, then I will work with you to fix
this issue, as I suspect it requires a tweak or two to be compatible with
Win 7.  It will be quicker and easier than rewriting in a different
language, even tho it bears the same name.  And I certainly won't let the
folks in this community who preach all things .NET push you into their web
community.

My email is kevin [dot] provance [at] tpasoft [dot] com.  Send me an email
so I can get some more detailed information from you, and help you avoid the
flame war that's probably going to break out over the language debate in the
next day or so.  Even if it means running your project on my Win 7 box to
find the error, we can fix this fairly quickly without a rewrite.

Write me and let me know!

- Kevin

0
Kevin
8/5/2010 6:20:50 AM
On 05/08/2010 00:14, JoeF wrote:
> Is there anyone that can recommend a solution to 'fix' an old VB application?
> It's a report card program that uses a Word template and fills in the word
> document from this .exe file created in VB. I have no idea how to debug as I
> am not the one who programmed it nor do I know antything more than beginner
> basic. It appears to be a very simple program and the folder consists of a
> few .bas files, .frx, and .frm files. I downloaded Visual Studio Pro to debug
> the .exe file, but I don't know where to begin.

It's probably better to ask this in a Word programming group or forum.
While most of us have the experience and can help with generic VB6, your
problem seems to be specific to the use of Word.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee
8/5/2010 7:26:05 AM
Did you already tried to run the the program as administrator?  (right click
on it and then runas ....)

That is the most given error in other forums and newsgroups if it is
unrecognizable and windows 7

> [...]
>    namedoc = ""
>    frmTab.staRC.SimpleText = "No student's file is open.  Open a student's
> file using File - Open or see Help for creating new student's file"
>
>    Exit Sub
>
> ...because the message I keep getting is "The Word document for your
> student
> {studentname} is not open." I then try to open
>
> So for some reason, the .exe file thinks Word is not open. What's weird is
> that this program works on some XP machines with Office 2003 installed.
> Some
> other PC's running XP and Office 2003 don't work with the error descibed
> above. When I install on a Windows 7 and Office 2010, I get pretty much
> the
> same error. I really want to get this program to run.
>
> It must have to do with the link between Office and the .exe file.

0
Cor
8/5/2010 4:42:02 PM
Thank you for the replies...I have found the problem, but not sure how to
resolve...

When logged in to the computer as CLASSROOM, the report card program works.
When logged in as ADMIN, the report card program does not work.

-	Within Windows 7, I installed something called XP MODE, which is a virtual
XP environment running inside of Windows 7.
-	I installed Microsoft Office 2003 Professional inside of XP Mode.
-	I installed the report card application using the instructions provided by
its creator.
o	When attempting to run the report card application, it would fail with the
same errors I’ve explained in the past.
-	After seeing that the program runs as CLASSROOM(Explained above), I
created a new user called CLASSROOM and logged in.
-	I installed the report card application using the instructions provided by
its creator, this time under the CLASSROOM user.
o	The report card application worked!!!!!!!!
-	This was great news, because now I know the path to the files are hard
coded into the report card program. I now need to duplicate the CLASSROOM
user environment.

Here’s the bad news…

-	The default path to the documents folder changed when going from XP to
Vista/Windows 7.
o	XP uses C:\Documents and Settings\username\Documents
o	Vista/Windows 7 uses C:\Users\username\Documents
-	The report card program has the XP path hard coded into the
executable(Reportcard.exe) application.
o	Windows Vista and 7 use a junction point "Documents and Settings" which is
hidden. This is supposed to re-route old programs to the new location, but it
does not successfully do this with this report card app.

I tried to create the directory "Documents and Settings" on the C: drive
within Windows7, but can't.

Windows 7 uses the path C:\users\{username}\documents. Is there any way to
find these paths in the report card application and recompile with new paths?

:
: Windows 7 uses the path C:\users\{username}\documents. Is there any way to
: find these paths in the report card application and recompile with new
paths?

Yes, but we need to be clear on something.  If you are still using VS 2010
or any version of VB with dot net in the name, you'll need to ask in the
appropriate forum as this NG is for VB6 and lower.

http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/browse/csidl.htm

0
Kevin
8/5/2010 5:19:48 PM
Yes...that's what makes it run....but the Word file can't remain open when
you attempt to run the report card app.

"Cor" wrote:

> [...]
> > file using File - Open or see Help for creating new student's file"
> >
> >    Exit Sub
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > ...because the message I keep getting is "The Word document for your
> > student
> > {studentname} is not open." I then try to open
> >
> > So for some reason, the .exe file thinks Word is not open. What's weird is
> > that this program works on some XP machines with Office 2003 installed.
> > Some
> > other PC's running XP and Office 2003 don't work with the error descibed
> > above. When I install on a Windows 7 and Office 2010, I get pretty much
> > the
> > same error. I really want to get this program to run.
> >
> > It must have to do with the link between Office and the .exe file.

HELP with Office 2004 not loading after installing Adobe Acrobat 7.
Hi, Word, Excel and Powerpoint won�t launch anymore after installing Adobe Acrobat 7. I checked on office/startup and the three folders are empty. All I get is window telling me that app couldn�t launch.. Error reporting. Is there a way to fix this? I don�t want to reinstall OSX. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office several times to no avail. Entourage launches fine. Thanks, AJ There are troubleshooting techniques linked from this page, work through them: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/ see General Troubleshooting and Troubleshooting for Office 2004 If they get to the splash sc...

Files in folder Windows.old in Vista
I have installed Ultimate on a Business version and then received the Windows.old folder. I want to delete it but have found same working files in old path than in the new. It appears that Windows updates the working files in both folders. Are they mirrored or copies. I changed the name of one file in old - corresponding file in the new folder received the same name. If I delete files from Windows.old will they be deleted from current folder too? "HBj" <HBj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12D90C20-D766-48D2-AA9C-D0FF7097DEBA@microsoft.com... ...

Copying FRx reports company to new machine
Just re-installed mas90/FRx on a new machine, but can't figure out how to bring over my company, named VSI. Where are the files, or how do I tell where it's located in order to hook in all the work I've done to the new installation of FRx??? First, you should have just cut out the part about MAS 90. Yuk. :) Do you still have access to the old machine? Without being able to log into FRx from an existing machine, it's going to be difficult to determine where the files were/are located. Do you know if the files were installed on the c drive of the old machine or on the net...

office 2007 and old office 2003 excel files
I have a desktop pc with Office 2003 and Vista Home premium system. I am getting a new laptop and am purchasing office 2007 home student to install on it. With the laptop I can access shared files from the desktop. However, all my old files were generated by office 2003. Will the office 2007 be able to access and process these old files? Also, can I uninstall office 2003 from my desktop and install the office 2007 on it and use the old files created by office 2003? Thanks. Carl Yes, Excel 2007 can read 2003 files... You can either convert them to the new version by savi...

My code not work ===> Case vbNo
I have code that doesn't work in case vbNo and don't know why. Please help.The code works on form BeforeUpdate even but not on my command button click even.It return me Variable not define to the statement Cancel = True Any guidance would be greatly appreciated Thank's Private Sub AddSpec_cmd_Click() On Error GoTo Err_AddSpec_cmd_Click Dim strMessage As String Dim intResponse As Integer intResponse = MsgBox("Is the spec correct?", vbYesNoCancel, "Confirm") Select Case intResponse Case vbYes If IsNull(Me.Model) Then strMess...

Opening docs from old versions
In attempting to open a doc created in an ancient version of Word (for Windows, not DOS), I get this message: "You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of Microsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening by your registry policy setting." What is the registry setting I must change to override this and allow the opening? Thanks. -TedMi Hi Ted, I'm pretty sure this is the KB article you need: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 There are both downloadable reg files and instructions for manual editing...

Retrieving/opening Outlook express emails from old drive
Hi all, I recently needed to replace the hard drive in my notebook. The old drive is still operational, so I can now using it as an external hard disc. How can I open to read / and save or import all the email folders in Outlook express from this older disc? I'd like to save all those messages to a backup/archive. Thanks, Shayne. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Out...

VB and graphs
Hi, I have a scatter graph with 5 different series., I want to add check boxes to select which of the five series a user want to see in the graph. To explain better, I want the user to choose the 5 or any o the series he/she wants to see plotted on the graph. Is that possible? What code should I use? -- asdf Excel 2007 X Y scatter chart Select visible series http://c0718892.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/03_04_10a.xlsm ...

Outlook Address Book Not Working But Contacts Is Working
I tried to research this problem before typing this, but all the answers are for IMO so I will ask... In Outlook 2003, I can go to CONTACTS and all of my contacts are there in separate subfolders I created. When I type an e-mail and click on TO and the SELECT NAMES window comes up, nothing is there. All it says in the drop down box is Outlook Address Book. So I am thinking there must be a way to repair the Outlook Address Book with all the information in CONTACTS which is all there and correct. I ran SCANPST.EXE and that didn't fix anything. In Outlook, I can go to TOOLS > E...

A new counting conundrum
Maybe I just haven't played with SUMPRODUCT enough yet to figure this out. Take a look at the sample below. http://www.batattak-records.com/Book1.xls Beginning in A1 I have the list of Supervisor names. In cells B1:B5 I want to count the number of employees under that Supervisor. To do so I need to use a list of names (columns F and G). The hard part (for me that is) is to count the individual names in column G when there are multiple instances of that name. Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! You could put this formula in H2 and copy it down......... =IF(G2=G1,"&qu...

Dialog window don't works
If I put on dialog window (visual studio 6 - MFC - CDialog - dialog based project) Text Box from Microsoft forms 2.0 (FM20.DLL) - this dialog is not opened - it start and close without wait for user interactivity. I think it started after some patch that I installed on this computer. On other computers it work. thanks for your help Max On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:05:07 +0200, Maxim wrote: > If I put on dialog window (visual studio 6 - MFC - CDialog - dialog based > project) > Text Box from Microsoft forms 2.0 (FM20.DLL) - this dialog is not opened - > it start and close withou...

MO Entry Window Error: Save operation on table MOP_Order_MSTR fai
Updated to V10, from V9 SP3 on a test SQL server. When going into the MO Entry window, we are getting: A Save operation on Table 'MOP_Order_MSR' failed accessing SQL Data. We can click OK and it goes to the window, but it does not default the next MO number. If I click on the 'More Info' button onthe above window: SQL Native Client violation of PRIMARY KEY Constraint PKMRP001 cannot insert duplicate key in dbo MRP0101. Does anyone know what I need to do to correc this error? I am waiting to upgrade to V10 'Live' until I figure this error out. thanks! Doug ...

old posts
How can I find a post I made yesterday? Hi, when you open this post, click on your name, it will pop up a window with your information, at the to right click on Recent posts by this user if this helps please click yes, thanks "Eric" wrote: > How can I find a post I made yesterday? I'd use google. Give it enough information (keywords/author/subject): http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100 Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like: http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm Eric wrote:...

Windows Corrupt file
I keep receiveing a message The file or directory c:\Program Files\ common Files\Symantec\EENGINE\EPERSIST.DAT is corrupt and unreadable Please run the Chkdsk utility. When I try to run it nothing happens Can anyone help me? -- BLUESKY In news:F42F67BE-81A1-44FE-A747-6707D684D5A5@microsoft.com, Bluesky <Bluesky@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I keep receiveing a message The file or directory c:\Program Files\ > common Files\Symantec\EENGINE\EPERSIST.DAT is corrupt and unreadable > Please run the Chkdsk utility. > When I try to run it nothing happens >...

get external data not working
office 2000 i installed all the options for excel query, at least thought i did but when accessing get external data, the 'new web', 'new database', and 'import text file' options have a starlike yellow icon splashed on/over the icons for those options on the menu, and if i select any of them excel just hangs up, i've given it about 5 minutes but have to end up killing excel went to reinstall query etc, but its not really clear how to select just that from the change/add functions when doing a change/reinstall, it seems i would have to completely reinstall all of of...

Ctrl grave doesn't work.
I have a workbook where Control Grave does not display the formula, altho a macro that I have does toggle into and out of Formula display mode using the following technique:- www.excelsig.org/toggle.htm What is the most likely reason why Control Grave does not work? Thanks Brian Tozer. >>I have a workbook where Control Grave does not display the formula The problem occurs with just a specific workbook? Is OnKey being used in a macro to reassign the keystroke? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Removed viso 2010 Beta
HI, I've porbably done somehting stupid and can't find it on the support board. I am successfully running Office 2007, and a few weeks ago added Visio 2010 Beta - all worked well, HOwveer I recently noticed that a specific applacition that uses the Offcie PIA, Mindjet's mindmanager stopped syncing Outlook tasks etc with outlook. Mindjet support stated: 'Microsoft does not support a mixed Office environment. When you installed the Visio 2010 beta, it likely installed Office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies. These are the hooks from Microsoft that allow our ...

Window Won't Close
It's very strange. When I close my Outlook 2000 SR-1, it shuts down and then, without warning, reopens! It will also happen if I am in some other program. Outlook will suddenly "take over" and switch me out of the program I am working on and into Outlook. HELP ! (It happened twice while I was tyring to post this message for help.) Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. 2. WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their support for an alleg...

including files in projects-a DLL and Main question
hello, I was curious if anyone has ever done the following and if so, how. I have a class written in a .cpp and .h file. Currently, this class is a member of an MFC extension DLL project, so I have the AFX_EXT_CLASS macro before the name of the class class AFX_EXT_CLASS foo { .... blah... }; now, these two files reside in a common folder for me to use, or so I would like, in other projects as I see fit. The wrinkle is, I would like to have the ability to include this class in a project directly (sans DLL business) as an initial attempt, I did try #ifdef _NOT_IN_D...

IE8 New Windows
hi, i see that explorer seems to allow 2nd window to keep default size of windows on open new windows. is it possible to change that option to the 3rd window?? thanks Hi Dan, I don't know exactly what you mean. IE saves its size and position each time a IE window is closed. So if you have 3 IE windows open at the one time and you close them all, the next time you start IE again it will display with the position and size of the last IE window that you closed. Regards. "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86B09525-C7D0-48A1...

Compiling MFC project from command line...
Hi, How do I compile and link MFC activex project from command line in MSVC 6.0 Is there any tool which generates such info... Help ! sandSpiderX If you look in the project settings for your ActiveX project, you will see the command line that is used by the IDE for building the project. You should be able to use that command line directly. "sandSpider" <m74.piscean@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1120655631.691634.137580@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > How do I compile and link MFC activex project from command line in MSVC > 6.0 > > Is the...

Can't see new global distribution list
When I set up a new distribution list in Active Directory on a Windows 2000 server, the new list does not show up for several hours in the Global Address List in Outlook 2003. This was never a problem before Outlook 2003. Does anyone know of a solution? --Steve ...

Excel VB Macro
Hello all: I have created macro in Excel that will essentially open a new workbook, and copy certain cells off of certain pages to the new workbook. At the end, it gives the user a chance to save it. The problem is that as it references the different workbooks (the new one just opened, and the source workbook), it will have problems if the filename of the source file is changed (because I have it as a static name), and the new workbook name differs depending on how long/many workbooks are opened (i.e. book1, book12, book14, etc.). I would like to assign the source workbook a name via...

"Export to Excel" from search windows = Error
In Great Plains from any results of a search window, there is an Excel program icon in the top bar. When I click on the icon to export my search result to an Excel speadsheet, no data is transferred. Excel is opened but the page is empty AND I receive an error message: Product = Extender, Script = Export_ListView of for ExcelExportObject, Error Class = EXCEPTION_CLASS_OBJECT_EXCEPTION, SubClass = ExceptionSubClass:-2147352559, Error = Does not support a collection II. My company has a site site license with 35 users and NO ONE else has this probem. I had my IT person re-format the ...

Window Live Messenger
Hi - I am having problems when making video calls - the recipients cannot hear me although we can see each other and I can hear them. I have tested the microphone / sound set-up etc. and it is working fine. I recently had problems with viruses while using WLM and this has now been cleared completely - but I wondered if it could have damaged part of the WLM? What I wanted to find out is if this could be a broadband issue or if I should try re - installing W Live Messenger? - Any help appreciated. many thanks nfield wrote: > Hi - I am having problems when making video ca...