Is including Excel9.olb in the installation files necessary?

I made an Inno installer script for a program that automates Excel,
based on my P&D setup.lst, which includes the Excel object library:

[Setup1 Files]
File8=@EXCEL9.OLB,$(WinSysPath),,$(Shared),3/19/99 10:00:32
PM,638976,9.0.0.2719

I read here that this file is installed with Excel when part of Office 2000:

"File Description: Microsoft Office 2000 component".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/filedb/excel9.olb-22355.html
---

This MS page verified that, and mentioned a new location of the object
library in Office 2002-3:

"...If you are automating Microsoft Excel 2000, choose Microsoft Excel
9.0 Object Library for which the default location is the C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel9.olb.
If you are automating Microsoft Excel 2002 and Microsoft Office Excel
2003, the object library is embedded in the file Excel.exe. ..."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/178749
---

It sounds like every Office installation that includes Excel includes an
Excel object library file. Is it necessary to include the olb my P&D
Wizard included when installing a program that automates Excel? It seems
redundant. Installing it on a machine that doesn't have Excel doesn't
seem like it will accomplish anything, except maybe allowing you to trap
an error telling you Excel is not installed with a more specific error
number. Can I safely remove this file from the installer no matter what
version of Office, or what OS (XP or later)?

Mike
0
Mike

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:19:10 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is it necessary to include the olb my P&D
>Wizard included when installing a program

No.  It's just a pointer file or something similar.  We had a big
discussion on this a short while ago that I likely initiated that
explained all this but I can't find the discussion right now.

>that automates Excel?

And you likely can't legally redistribute it anyhow.

Finally are you sure you even want to reference it?  What happens if
the user has a different version of Excel?   Or Excel isn't installed
at all?   In the Access world I point folks to the following article
on late binding and it should stil be quite relevant to VB6.

"Late Binding in Microsoft Access" page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/latebinding.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
On 9/9/2010 10:00 PM, Tony Toews wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:19:10 -0700, Mike S<mscir@yahoo.com>  wrote:

>> Is it necessary to include the olb my P&D
>> Wizard included when installing a program

> No.  It's just a pointer file or something similar.  We had a big
> discussion on this a short while ago that I likely initiated that
> explained all this but I can't find the discussion right now.
>> that automates Excel?

> And you likely can't legally redistribute it anyhow.
> Finally are you sure you even want to reference it?  What happens if
> the user has a different version of Excel?   Or Excel isn't installed
> at all?   In the Access world I point folks to the following article
> on late binding and it should stil be quite relevant to VB6.
> "Late Binding in Microsoft Access" page at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/latebinding.htm
> Tony

Thanks very much, this sounds perfect, I'll try this and see how it works.

Mike
0
Mike
9/10/2010 5:40:18 AM
On 10/09/2010 05:19, Mike S wrote:
> I made an Inno installer script for a program that automates Excel,
> based on my P&D setup.lst, which includes the Excel object library:

Did you not like my answer in the Inno groups? :)
I'd already said you can't distribute it and you acknowledged it...

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee
9/10/2010 8:14:47 AM
On 9/10/2010 1:14 AM, Dee Earley wrote:
> On 10/09/2010 05:19, Mike S wrote:
>> I made an Inno installer script for a program that automates Excel,
>> based on my P&D setup.lst, which includes the Excel object library:
>
> Did you not like my answer in the Inno groups? :)
> I'd already said you can't distribute it and you acknowledged it...

I read your post, and with all due respect, while you expressed an
opinion you gave no sources, so I did a little looking around with
Google, and came here to find out what I could learn. The answer I got
here was extremely helpful and just what I needed. I was fortunate
enough to benefit from a discussion by some very talented programmers
that I didn't even participate in. I think I understand the situation a
lot better now, so I can automate Excel, and avoid distributing one file
unnecessarily and potentially illegally. You may recall that the same
newsgroup also had a reply strongly recommending I contact MS to resolve
that issue. I consider myself fortunate to have received a better
understanding of the problem, and a solution, without dealing with any
phone support.

0
Mike
9/10/2010 8:43:24 AM
"Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
:
: I read your post, and with all due respect, while you expressed an
: opinion you gave no sources, so I did a little looking around with
: Google, and came here to find out what I could learn. The answer I got
: here was extremely helpful and just what I needed. I was fortunate
: enough to benefit from a discussion by some very talented programmers
: that I didn't even participate in. I think I understand the situation a
: lot better now, so I can automate Excel, and avoid distributing one file
: unnecessarily and potentially illegally. You may recall that the same
: newsgroup also had a reply strongly recommending I contact MS to resolve
: that issue. I consider myself fortunate to have received a better
: understanding of the problem, and a solution, without dealing with any
: phone support.

There is no "potentially illegal" about it.  One of the many license
agreements specifically says you cannot.  I do not recall which as it's been
sometime since I played around with office components, but I do recall
seeing the text specifically in my research.

0
Kevin
9/10/2010 12:38:09 PM
> And you likely can't legally redistribute it anyhow.

This is definitely a NO-NO!

> Finally are you sure you even want to reference it?  What happens if
> the user has a different version of Excel?

Whatever version of
excel you ref in your project, it will be updated to whatever version
is running on the user's machine. It's just considered good practice in
the Excel programming world to always develop for the earliest version
you expect users to use.

> Or Excel isn't installed at all?

You will get a MISSING! flag in the refs dialog. It's always good to
test (using CreateObject) if the target machine has Excel installed,
whether or not you use early binding for development. Just don't
execute the code if Excel is not installed, and display a notification
to the user of the requirement for Excel to be installed.

Here's one of several test functions I use for checking installation of
required MSO apps. I have one for each MSO app I'd be inclined to
automate.

Public Function bExcelAvailable() As Boolean
' Determines whether Excel is available for automation on the computer.
  Dim xlApp As Object

  'Attempt to start an instance of Excel.
  On Error Resume Next
  Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
  On Error GoTo 0
  'Return the result of the test.
  bExcelAvailable = (Not xlApp Is Nothing)
  Set xlApp = Nothing
End Function  'bExcelAvailable()

So in my code I'd make anything that requires Excel to be installed
conditional on the return of the test function:

  If bExcelAvailable Then
    'do stuff
  Else
    NotifyAutomationFailure
  End If

Sub NotifyAutomationFailure()
  Dim sMsg As String
  sMsg = "This application requires Excel to be installed on your
computer."
  sMsg = sMsg & vbCrLf
  sMsg = sMsg & "Excel failed to start. This application can not
continue!"
  MsgBox sMsg, vbCritical, "Startup Failure!"
End Sub

HTH

--
Garry

GS
9/10/2010 5:26:56 PM
On 9/10/2010 10:26 AM, GS wrote:
>> And you likely can't legally redistribute it anyhow.
>
> This is definitely a NO-NO!
>

>> Finally are you sure you even want to reference it? What happens if
>> the user has a different version of Excel?
>
> Whatever version of
> excel you ref in your project, it will be updated to whatever version is
> running on the user's machine. It's just considered good practice in the
> Excel programming world to always develop for the earliest version you
> expect users to use.
>
>> Or Excel isn't installed at all?
>
> You will get a MISSING! flag in the refs dialog. It's always good to
> test (using CreateObject) if the target machine has Excel installed,
> whether or not you use early binding for development. Just don't execute
> the code if Excel is not installed, and display a notification to the
> user of the requirement for Excel to be installed.
>
> Here's one of several test functions I use for checking installation of
> required MSO apps. I have one for each MSO app I'd be inclined to automate.
>
> Public Function bExcelAvailable() As Boolean
> ' Determines whether Excel is available for automation on the computer.
> Dim xlApp As Object
>
> 'Attempt to start an instance of Excel.
> On Error Resume Next
> Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
> On Error GoTo 0
> 'Return the result of the test.
> bExcelAvailable = (Not xlApp Is Nothing)
> Set xlApp = Nothing
> End Function 'bExcelAvailable()
>
> So in my code I'd make anything that requires Excel to be installed
> conditional on the return of the test function:
>
> If bExcelAvailable Then
> 'do stuff
> Else
> NotifyAutomationFailure
> End If
>
> Sub NotifyAutomationFailure()
> Dim sMsg As String
> sMsg = "This application requires Excel to be installed on your computer."
> sMsg = sMsg & vbCrLf
> sMsg = sMsg & "Excel failed to start. This application can not continue!"
> MsgBox sMsg, vbCritical, "Startup Failure!"
> End Sub
>
> HTH

I am using the approach Tony Toews suggested, "Late Binding in Microsoft
Access" http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/latebinding.htm
Apparently I was not clear enough, the olb file is now removed from the
installer. The late binding worked on Excel 2000.
Thanks Again Tony.

0
Mike
9/10/2010 8:00:20 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:26:56 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>> Finally are you sure you even want to reference it?  What happens if
>> the user has a different version of Excel?
>
>Whatever version of
>excel you ref in your project, it will be updated to whatever version
>is running on the user's machine.

That's not been my experience in the Access world.

>It's just considered good practice in
>the Excel programming world to always develop for the earliest version
>you expect users to use.

And Word and whatever else.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/10/2010 8:42:46 PM
Tony Toews formulated the question :
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:26:56 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>> Finally are you sure you even want to reference it?  What happens if
>>> the user has a different version of Excel?
>>
>> Whatever version of
>> excel you ref in your project, it will be updated to whatever version
>> is running on the user's machine.
>
> That's not been my experience in the Access world.

Apparently, some MSO apps behave differently. I've never had a need to
automate Access but I here the version ref is critical.

Outlook is a single-instance only app and so its test (and automation)
needs to be handled a bit different.

The test function example I posted was for Excel, but they all also
grab version info (removed for brevity) into global vars for each MSO
app so I know what's been installed.

In most cases, my apps will always contain version-specific code and so
it's mandatory they be version aware!

>> It's just considered good practice in
>> the Excel programming world to always develop for the earliest version
>> you expect users to use.
>
> And Word and whatever else.

Well, of course...<g>

--
Garry

GS
9/10/2010 9:50:16 PM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 17:50:16 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>>> Whatever version of
>>> excel you ref in your project, it will be updated to whatever version
>>> is running on the user's machine.
>>
>> That's not been my experience in the Access world.
>
>Apparently, some MSO apps behave differently. I've never had a need to
>automate Access but I here the version ref is critical.

I shoud've been more specific.  I meant Access as the programming
environment referencing Excel, Word or Outlook.   In the Access world
if you had a different version of Excel, Word or Outlook than the
users then the Access app would fall over with wierd VBA errors long
before it even attempted to run your Excel, Word or Outlook specific
code.

>In most cases, my apps will always contain version-specific code and so
>it's mandatory they be version aware!

Ah, whereas I kept my code to be very simplish and generic. It likely
could've worked in Office 97 without any changes.

>>> It's just considered good practice in
>>> the Excel programming world to always develop for the earliest version
>>> you expect users to use.
>>
>> And Word and whatever else.
>
>Well, of course...<g>

You know that but lurkers might not.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/11/2010 12:13:04 AM
Thanks for that input! ..much appreciated.

So then, I suspect you work with Access the same way I work with Excel
as my base platform, automating the other MSO apps as/when required. In
my case, my frontloader VB6.exe will test for all MSO apps required by
my COMAddin app before creating its instance of Excel. Only when all
startup requirements are met will I actually create the Excel instance
I'll use, and then load the COMAddin.

In cases where clients don't use MSO I use a VB6.exe with Farpoint's
Spread, an awesome control which totally eliminates any dependancy on
Excel.

I don't have much experience with Access beyond building basic
databases to use with my apps when appropriate. I'm looking at using
SQLite with Olaf's dhRichClient components as an alternative. I just
don't get a lot of requests for database structures beyond what can be
done with plain text files and ADO.<g>

Kind regards,

--
Garry

GS
9/11/2010 4:12:29 AM
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 00:12:29 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>Thanks for that input! ..much appreciated.
>
>So then, I suspect you work with Access the same way I work with Excel
>as my base platform, automating the other MSO apps as/when required.

Pretty much.  Although I've been doing a lot of work in VB6 this last
year.

>In
>my case, my frontloader VB6.exe will test for all MSO apps required by
>my COMAddin app before creating its instance of Excel. Only when all
>startup requirements are met will I actually create the Excel instance
>I'll use, and then load the COMAddin.

Whereas I'm working on my Auto FE Updater which is a utility for use
by Access developers.  So it too is a "front end" although with a very
different role in life.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/11/2010 8:15:52 PM
Tony Toews explained on 9/11/2010 :
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 00:12:29 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for that input! ..much appreciated.
>>
>> So then, I suspect you work with Access the same way I work with Excel
>> as my base platform, automating the other MSO apps as/when required.
>
> Pretty much.  Although I've been doing a lot of work in VB6 this last
> year.

That's probably a good thing, especially if Access supports COMAddins.
I found this about the only way to obtain any reasonable level of code
security. Also, VB6 offers much better advantages over working with
VBA<IMO>.

Seems, though, that you've been around longer than that. Your posts
certainly have been appreciated!<g>

>> In
>> my case, my frontloader VB6.exe will test for all MSO apps required by
>> my COMAddin app before creating its instance of Excel. Only when all
>> startup requirements are met will I actually create the Excel instance
>> I'll use, and then load the COMAddin.
>
> Whereas I'm working on my Auto FE Updater which is a utility for use
> by Access developers.  So it too is a "front end" although with a very
> different role in life.

I can't imagine what that would be where Access is concerned. Most of
my solutions are user-defined task specific utilities that provide
custom analysis of existing database data. Thus, that part is already
in place for the most part, just requiring field mapping to integrate
with my app.

I use a frontloader for multiple purposes, mostly to qualify if startup
will happen. It's a good place to do a bunch of stuff that's common to
every app but doesn't really need to be compiled internally with the
app.exe. I'm referring to checking if required files exist, access
permissions haven't changed, Excel is installed, license validation,
and if all is well then workspace setup. (I pretty much like to use
dictator type configurations so my users aren't distracted with all the
unused features of Excel. I try to take this as far as possible so it
doesn't even seem like my users are working in Excel)

--
Garry

GS
9/11/2010 8:57:49 PM
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:57:49 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>> Pretty much.  Although I've been doing a lot of work in VB6 this last
>> year.
>
>That's probably a good thing, especially if Access supports COMAddins.

That whole bit about COMAddins I know nothing about.

>I found this about the only way to obtain any reasonable level of code
>security.

There's only one outfit who stated they can retreive the code, without
comments of course, from an Access MDE.

>Also, VB6 offers much better advantages over working with
>VBA<IMO>.

Actually Access is a better GUI for desiging forms than VB6.  The GUI
editor is much more refined with lots of little tweaks.  For example
if you accidentally move a control in Access Ctrl+Z will put it back.
Not so in VB6.

But I wanted to use VB simply because it was a standalone utility and
didn't require anything else.  Mind you that was ten years ago so I've
forgotten the exact reasons.   I suspect part of the reason was simply
to play, err program, in a different environment.

>Seems, though, that you've been around longer than that. Your posts
>certainly have been appreciated!<g>

In this newsgroup I haven't been doing too much posting before about a
year ago.  However there are a *lot* of similarities between VB6 and
VBA.  Indeed there's an obscure bug while debugging code that happens
in both VB6 and VBA.

OTOH there are enough differences that, in one posting of mine in this
newsgroup,I was completely wrong with my solution.  The solution works
in Access but not VB6.  I was somewhat embarrassed so I've been a bit
more cautious ever since.  <smile>

>> Whereas I'm working on my Auto FE Updater which is a utility for use
>> by Access developers.  So it too is a "front end" although with a very
>> different role in life.
>
>I can't imagine what that would be where Access is concerned.

Visit the website as per my sig below.  <smile> The first page should
give you the basics.  I'm up to about 16K lines of code of which about
3K or 4K are imported API calls or user controls.

Once I add the options to copy subfolders I will be activating my
autofileupdater.com website and see if I can sell a generic solution
to copying sets of files to PCs.  Dunno if that's feasible but it
isn't going to cost me much time to have a slightly different program.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 2:32:18 AM
Actually, I've been browsing your site in general, as a source for
Access tips/info. Looks impressive to me!

<FYI>
(Interesting that your URL is '.ca'! I'm located in eastern Ontario on
the St. Lawrence)
</FYI> Where are you?

I'm not a database expert by any means, but I do know the basic rules
for building good relational databases. Fact is most of my work uses
flat tables of data, all of which can be easily stored/retrieved from
text files or Excel worksheets. An Excel workbook was my first database
because it provided an easy way to construct multi-table storage
without having to learn a new app (ie: Access). I can distribute an XLS
and work with it using ADO and so it shouldn't matter that the end user
doesn't have Excel. -Never tested this out but I suspect it's the case
since I know ADO works with MDBs on machines where Access is not
installed. It's the limitations of using an XLS that are driving me to
look at SQLite.

Otherwise, I just work with users' existing database app files and use
field mapping as mentioned earlier.

--
Garry

GS
9/12/2010 3:53:25 AM
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:53:25 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:

>Actually, I've been browsing your site in general, as a source for
>Access tips/info. Looks impressive to me!

Thank. I like to think that, while it's very ugly, it's among the best
five in terms of content for advanced Access folks.

My excuse for it being so ugly is that I started it in late 1995 using
Notepad and a help file describing HTML from a shareware HTML editor
called Hot Dog.   Been too busy to do a site overhaul and too cheap to
pay anyone to update it.

><FYI>
>(Interesting that your URL is '.ca'! I'm located in eastern Ontario on
>the St. Lawrence)
></FYI> Where are you?

Alberta.   That's the ab in the website URL.  <smirk>

>An Excel workbook was my first database
>because it provided an easy way to construct multi-table storage
>without having to learn a new app (ie: Access).

Hehe.  Many corporate IT nazis think of uninstalling Access because
users abuse it.  My standard response is, at least the users are
trying to build a proper database.  It'll be worse in Excel.  <smile>

> I can distribute an XLS
>and work with it using ADO and so it shouldn't matter that the end user
>doesn't have Excel. -Never tested this out but I suspect it's the case
>since I know ADO works with MDBs on machines where Access is not
>installed. It's the limitations of using an XLS that are driving me to
>look at SQLite.

Embrace what is already present.  <smile>

I'd not use SQLite because it requires another set of DLLs,
distribution, installation etc.   I would suggest MDB format simply
because the Jet 4.0/DAO 3.6/ADO 2.8 DLLs come with Windows 2000 and
newer including Windows 7.  You don't have to even think about them
because the Windows OS updates them for security patches.

For some information with respect to versioning on ADO see my blog
posting: I've never quite trusted ADO because ...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/archive/2010/07/01/i-ve-never-quite-trusted-ado-because.aspx

Of course we don't know what is going to happen in Windows 8 with
those DLLs.  But I suspect a *lot* of apps depend on those so they may
be sticking around for a long time to come.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony
9/12/2010 4:59:08 AM
It happens that Tony Toews formulated :
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:53:25 -0400, GS <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> Actually, I've been browsing your site in general, as a source for
>> Access tips/info. Looks impressive to me!
>
> Thank. I like to think that, while it's very ugly, it's among the best
> five in terms of content for advanced Access folks.

Didn't notice it was ugly. Probably because I'm info oriented rather
than being amused with distracting pizzaz. I found it very easy to
navigate and get info.

> My excuse for it being so ugly is that I started it in late 1995 using
> Notepad and a help file describing HTML from a shareware HTML editor
> called Hot Dog.   Been too busy to do a site overhaul and too cheap to
> pay anyone to update it.

Yeah, I paid a pro to do one for me but that got old in a hurry when he
started to be unreliable or unavailable to make changes as needed. This
prompted me to use Frontpage to rebuild it myself. Only reason for
using FP was because it shipped with my Office 2000 Developer Edition
software. I've since upgraded to Expression Web, which I also use for
authoring CHMs, Ebooks, and any other html docs I need. (Of course,
managing a website also requires knowing a bit about using JavaScript)

>> <FYI>
>> (Interesting that your URL is '.ca'! I'm located in eastern Ontario on
>> the St. Lawrence)
>> </FYI> Where are you?
>
> Alberta.   That's the ab in the website URL.  <smirk>

That's what I suspected and so was asking just to confirm.

>> An Excel workbook was my first database
>> because it provided an easy way to construct multi-table storage
>> without having to learn a new app (ie: Access).
>
> Hehe.  Many corporate IT nazis think of uninstalling Access because
> users abuse it.  My standard response is, at least the users are
> trying to build a proper database.  It'll be worse in Excel.  <smile>
>
>> I can distribute an XLS
>> and work with it using ADO and so it shouldn't matter that the end user
>> doesn't have Excel. -Never tested this out but I suspect it's the case
>> since I know ADO works with MDBs on machines where Access is not
>> installed. It's the limitations of using an XLS that are driving me to
>> look at SQLite.
>
> Embrace what is already present.  <smile>
>
> I'd not use SQLite because it requires another set of DLLs,
> distribution, installation etc.

I already use Olaf's dhRichClient components and so is why I'm looking
at SQLite.

>   I would suggest MDB format simply
> because the Jet 4.0/DAO 3.6/ADO 2.8 DLLs come with Windows 2000 and
> newer including Windows 7.  You don't have to even think about them
> because the Windows OS updates them for security patches.

There's been some dialog in NGs that this may get messed with. I hope
it's not the case but I'd like to know I have an alternative ready if
M$ drops anything from future OSs, which would necessitate us having to
distribute appropriate libs to continue on those platforms.

It's just that I'd be more comfortable all around not being dependant
on M$'s actions/decisions!<G> I'm sure Access will persist to exist but
that doesn't mean they won't mess with its db engine.

> For some information with respect to versioning on ADO see my blog
> posting: I've never quite trusted ADO because ...
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/archive/2010/07/01/i-ve-never-quite-trusted-ado-because.aspx

I started using ADO because it allows me to fairly easily load data
stored in Excel sheets or CSV text files into recordsets without
opening either. I've devoured several books by David Sussman on the
subject and so have become quite comfortable working with it. My
experience thus far has been problem free!<g>

--
Garry

GS

Is it possible to view Excel split screen by tab within same file
I would like to view split screen tabs within the same Excel workbook. Is this possible? Hi SS. Go to Window - Arrange - and select the view you would like. It shows all tabs. Minimize or close the ones you don't want. I find the vertical view the easiest to use. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "SS" wrote: > I would like to view split screen tabs within the same Excel workbook. Is > this possible? Window|new window Window|Arrange (horizontal/vertical/whatever you want) Check windows of activeworkbook (if you only want that one workbook) You'll see som...

Importing a .cdr file in Publisher 2007
Hi there, someone has sent me a .cdr file, is there a way to import it into Publisher? Thanks, Ulli You can import a .cdr file in 2007. Not sure about the version however. I cannot import CorelDraw 12 images into Publisher. Your sender can convert the .cdr in Corel to a .wmf or .emf or any other format. Try importing, Insert, picture, from file. If your sender cannot convert the file, send it to me and I will convert it for you. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Ulli" <Ul...

XmlResolver and xsl:include
Have been doing a fair amount of reading but at this point no joy. The scenario is - XSL template is stored within db. - Template has a xsl:include statement as <xsl:include href="inc.template.methods.xsl"/> I now I have to pass a resolver when I use the load method so that it understands the xsl include as in: ' object template is custom class to retrieve templates from the db dim template as new objTemplate dim myresolver as xmlresolver dim mytransfrom as xmltransform ' template.xmlDocRunTime returns a xmldocument object mytransform.load(template.xmlDocRunTim...

Business Portal 2.5
Suddenly website stops working, doesnt knows what happens access to : http://server/sites/businessportal results in The page cannot be found with error message HTTP 404 - File Not Found whereas sharepoint website is working fine please helpp !!!!!!! ...

In Access, How do I hide records, but include them in the total
I'm running a report where I have work orders. They are grouped by appr and comp. I need to create a report that will show all the appr tickets, but give me a total count of appr and comp. I have the report generated the way I want, with total count, but how do i hide just the comp tickets. xeoimom wrote: >I'm running a report where I have work orders. They are grouped by appr and >comp. I need to create a report that will show all the appr tickets, but >give me a total count of appr and comp. I have the report generated the way >I want, with total count, but ...

#includes
I'm looking over my files this evening, and I'm noticing that some of my #includes (of my own header files) are in my .h files, while some are in my ..cpp files. Sometimes I have used incomplete class declarations as well. I have tried to find some good reading to help me understand this whole thing, but haven't so far. Could I get a bit of advice on this? I don't know if this is related, but one of my source files won't give me any of those "smart tips" when the cursor passes over various objects, unless it is something that I have declared in that file itsel...

Publisher will not open previous files
Using Publisher 2000 I cannot open previous made files using the same version, I only have one. Any suggestions? Al wrote: > Using Publisher 2000 I cannot open previous made files > using the same version, I only have one. Any suggestions? ================================ Maybe it's an issue with NAV...have a look at the following article: (329820) How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 Also try disabling Script Blocking: How to disable Script Blocking in Norton AntiVirus 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6v7mc How t...

Including MDA information in transaction edit reports
GP 8.0 I would like to include MDA entry with the AP transaction edit list so the input can be reviewed before releasing a batch for posting. Same thing applies to our invoicing. What is the best way to accomplish this task? I have coded this once for a customer. The only method that can work seamlessly is a Dexterity customisation which uses a trigger to add extra lines into the temporary table used for the report just prior to printing. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (f...

Open File Dialog Help
I am trying to set the m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir to "My Music" on an open file dialog, but can't seem to get it to work right. I would like it to default to the c:\documents and settings\user\My Documents\My Music, regardless of the machine the application is running on. The project is being built using Visual C++ 6.0 Professional, on a Windows 2K machine, but may be running in any Windows environment. Thanks, SHGetSpecialFolderPath(CSIDL_PERSONAL) gets you to My Documents ...

slow to open with norton installed
My office has about 30 machines with office 2000 installed and Norton 2003 anti-virus. As of this morning 75% of these computers are painfully slow to open as they request a virus scan from Norton. Have others noticed this problem today or is my world unique to this situation? You can disable the scan in Office if you want. I disable it also. Look in the Options of NAV -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CA19F53-3747-426B-9849-6192490CB550@microsoft.com... > My ...

Cannot delete xml file - file based event scheduling
Hi, I have a report scheduled with File based event scheduling in CR XI Server version 11.5. The report is created with XML file as its datasource. The report will be triggered if the event of xml file is created in the source directory. As per the schedule, it will look for the event to occur every 1 minute. Since I need to enerate this report everytime the file comes into the directory, I have to delete the file after he report is generated, so that, next time the file comes in, the report will be generated again. After the report is run for the first time successfuly as the event occurs...

Using OWA on a PC without Outlook installed
I have a PC with W2K and Office 2000, but Outlook has been uninstalled on it. This PC needs to use OWA (Outlook Web Access) but every time I try to send an email or change my options up pops up a Windows install window trying to install some missing Windows components which I suspect to be Outlook. I find it hard to believe that a browser based email reading application requires that Outlook be installed on the PC so I am checking here to see what others have found out. Thanks, Hank ...

copy contents including colour
Hi In cells A1:B73 I have a list of contacts which are colour coded. What I want to be able to do is to be able to enter the name of 1 of the contacts in lets say G1 and it will search for that name in A1:B73 and automatically copy its colour code over. Many thanks for any help. Al Hi, I'm assuming that the colour codeing isn't a result of conditional formatting and it's simply a fill colour. To do this you need VB. Alt+F11 to open vb editor. Double click the worksheet that this data are on and paste the code in on the right. Close VB editor and type your name...

Installation error 02-08-04
I am getting an error with the following information: Failed to install Microsoft Customer Relationship Management Server. Failed to determine your account name. Unspecified error. (80004005). I initially set up a SBS2003 server and realized this wouldn't work. I have CRM 1.0 and now a W2K Advanced Server. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hi Steve, one of our TK articles mentioned a DNS problem.... Error 80004005 is indicative of a problem with machine name resolution and DNS. In this case, the user changed his default gateway and preferred DNS server in the TCP/IP pr...

Install this internet pack from M$
--nrjmpsqykahddvhe Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="htosnlmtydwfmg"; type="multipart/alternative" --htosnlmtydwfmg Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="vivraspiupsactbw" --vivraspiupsactbw Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. ...

Installation, "Wrong OS or OS version for application
Trying to install Money 2004, insert the CD and I get the disclaimer stating it may need additional componants and also stating anti-virus software may get in the way. I click OK and the error that comes up next is, "Installation of windows installer was not successful. Please install it manually by running instmsiu.exe from your Money CD. Then retry Money 2004 Setup.exe. I click on instmsiu.exe and the error message that comes up promptly reads as, "Wrong OS or OS version for application." I am, indeed, using Windows XP home edition--the rest of the minimum req&#...

Include a button on toolbar to include/exclude original text when.
When replying/forwarding a message you must go to thru several screens to change your base setting or highlight and delete the message. Add an optional button that would allow you to include/exclude as each message is opened for reply/forwarding. ...

CListCtrl and file system
Hello all, I have an application where I need to give the user an interface to select a folder from which my application will fetch some configuration data. The idea is that there may be several folders on a USB key with each folder containing configuration data for an instrument. The folder name is a unique identifier that is not necessarily a human friendly name. What I want to do is load a selection list with human friendly names that come from the configuration files. So, the user needs to be able to browse to a folder that contains the sub folders that contain the configuration files. My...

Windows XP SP3 update installed but not recognized?
I am running Windows XP Professional. While trying to configure new software I received the message that Service Pack 2 or higher was necessary. I checked my version of Windows and it showed that service pack 2 was installed. So, I installed Service Pack 3. When I right click on My Computer and Properties, it shows Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3. However, when I try to install the other application I still get the message that "service pack 2 or later is required". Any help would be greatly appreciated! What "new software" would it be? ...

Outlook signature file
I need to create a signature for a manager I work for. He would like to include the company logo to make it look like his business card. When I attempt to do this, the text will appear but the logo will not. I've seen graphics in auto signatures before, so I believe it can be done. But I'm just not sure how to go about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Lisa ...

Finding and installing missing fonts
Hi, I have FP2002. I've installed it on two machines. I notice though that theres quite a few fonts that are missing from my laptop. . I have identical programs on both pc's and find it strange that the fonts are not in the Publisher font file. What is the best way to put the missing ones on one pc? Should I copy the fonts I need to media then load them into the windows font file? Thanks in advance Catt I would suggest starting here to make sure that the "missing fonts" are supplied with that version of Publisher. http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.aspx...

Publisher will not open its own files, says from different version
My Publisher 98 software will not open files created by it. I get a message telling me that it cannot open files made in an earlier version. It has worked without problem previously. I have reinstalled both it and Office 2000 Pro repeatedly without success. Any guidance welcomed please. KeithT What version Windows? There is a registry fix, not sure it addresses Publisher 98. Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us -- Mary Sauer htt...

Including Images in Excel Report Builder
We have a client that is attaching jpgs to the item maintenance window in GP and they want an Excel Report Builder report of each inventory item along with its image. It seems that the file name is stored in hex format. Is it possible to include a reference to the image location in an Excel Report Builder report, so the report can include the image inside of Excel? Thanks ...

Open file dialog #2
How can I show Open/Save file dialog to let user choose file? (VC++6) Thank you. Can I do it without MFC? OK. I found it. ...

Why Outlook 2000 can't find WAB.DLL file on Vista?
I have installed Office 2000 on my new laptop - Windows Vista. I keep getting the error from Outlook that it cannot find the WAB.DLL file. It is becoming quite annoying to have this message keep popping up on my screen. Can I get it somewhere? TIA, Susan "Stargazing Susan" <Stargazing Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C9953C4-A0A0-4754-9528-0808C34EBFA1@microsoft.com... >I have installed Office 2000 on my new laptop - Windows Vista. I keep > getting the error from Outlook that it cannot find the WAB.DLL file. It is > becom...