Find unused controls on a form

Is there a utility out there that can scan my project files and tell if a
control is being used (referenced in code)?

I use MZTools to find dead code, but I want to find dead controls. Maybe
MZTools can do it, I just don't know how.

It wouldn't be too difficult to write something rough to do it myself, but
something readymade would be nice.

kpg
0
kpg

kpg wrote:
> Is there a utility out there that can scan my project files and tell if a
> control is being used (referenced in code)?
>
> I use MZTools to find dead code, but I want to find dead controls. Maybe
> MZTools can do it, I just don't know how.
>
> It wouldn't be too difficult to write something rough to do it myself, but
> something readymade would be nice.

Well, VB does that automatically everytime it compiles.  Unless you
tell it not to.  (Project-Properties-Make)

Do you really have projects with so many controls, you're not sure if
some of them are even used?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl
6/2/2010 10:03:30 PM
"kpg" <ipost@thereforeiam> wrote
> Is there a utility out there that can scan my project files and tell if a
> control is being used (referenced in code)?

See if this helps.  Open the components dialog (Ctrl+T)
Hold down the Shift key and press OK.

LFS

0
Larry
6/2/2010 11:52:26 PM
Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in

> Do you really have projects with so many controls, you're not sure if
> some of them are even used?

I knew someone would ask this question, and the answer is...Yes.

I have a legacy app (ah, the absolution that comes when I say 'legacy')
that has the maximum amount of controls, that is, the vb6 ide will not
allow me to add any more.  I really don't know what that number is (32767?)
but I am there.  This form is complex but functional.  I believe that menu
items count against the total, as do shapes (lines) used to create divides
and borders, popup grids (frames and pictureboxes with multiple child
controls) that exist multiple times so they can be pre-loaded when the app
starts (when the app was first written machines were slow and navigation
speed was more important than startup time or memory usage).  Good design?
heck no, In need of a re-write?, you bet, but that's not going to happen so
I've got what I've got.

Every control on the form is configured and moved at run time, so I'm safe
to assume that if a control is not touched in code it is no longer used,
hence my desire for a dead control sweep.

I've got a utility I wrote long ago to find undeclared variables in
QuickBasic code that does a fair job of building a symbol table from BASIC
code, I could probably adapt that to do this task.

0
kpg
6/3/2010 1:17:46 PM
"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten@gmail.com> wrote in

> "kpg" <ipost@thereforeiam> wrote
>> Is there a utility out there that can scan my project files and tell
>> if a control is being used (referenced in code)?
>
> See if this helps.  Open the components dialog (Ctrl+T)
> Hold down the Shift key and press OK.
>
> LFS

I mislead you with the word 'referenced'.  I meant 'used in code' as in
controla on a forms that are no longer needed.

0
kpg
6/3/2010 1:19:58 PM
"kpg" <ipost@thereforeiam> wrote in message
> Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in
>
>> Do you really have projects with so many controls, you're not sure if
>> some of them are even used?
>
> I knew someone would ask this question, and the answer is...Yes.
>
> I have a legacy app (ah, the absolution that comes when I say 'legacy')
> that has the maximum amount of controls, that is, the vb6 ide will not
> allow me to add any more.  I really don't know what that number is
> (32767?)
> but I am there.

You do realize that an array of controls counts as a single control?
To make "space" for more controls put all the lines into a array of lines,
in your code search for line1 replace with line(0) and line2 to line(1) etc.
you can do the same for any control but it's best to start with the ones
that don't have any events (lines, shapes & labels)
Control arrays do not have to be contiguous so you could use the same
numbers as the lines may already have.

Dave O.

0
Dave
6/3/2010 2:07:01 PM
"Dave O." <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in

> You do realize that an array of controls counts as a single control?

I'm not sure I do know that.  I ran into this limit some years ago and I
deleted some cosmetic shapes, and I recall consolidating some controls into
control arrays but I had the impression that it did not reduce the 'limit'
enforced by the IDE - but it makes sense that it would.

> To make "space" for more controls put all the lines into a array of
> lines, in your code search for line1 replace with line(0) and line2 to
> line(1) etc. you can do the same for any control but it's best to
> start with the ones that don't have any events (lines, shapes &
> labels) Control arrays do not have to be contiguous so you could use
> the same numbers as the lines may already have.

Good ideas.  Many of the lines have the same name becuase they have
different parent controls, so I would need to change their parent at run
time.

0
kpg
6/3/2010 4:04:24 PM
Here is how 3 controls in a control array are recorded in a form.  This
seem to take up as much space as 3 non-array controls.

I think I also ran into the problem with dynamically creating control in an
array - even at run time you cannot exceed the imposed limit.

Begin VB.TextBox Text1
      Height          =   495
      Index           =   2
      Left            =   2280
      TabIndex        =   2
      Text            =   "Text1"
      Top             =   2160
      Width           =   1215
   End
   Begin VB.TextBox Text1
      Height          =   495
      Index           =   1
      Left            =   1560
      TabIndex        =   1
      Text            =   "Text1"
      Top             =   1440
      Width           =   1215
   End
   Begin VB.TextBox Text1
      Height          =   495
      Index           =   0
      Left            =   960
      TabIndex        =   0
      Text            =   "Text1"
      Top             =   720
      Width           =   1215
   End
0
kpg
6/3/2010 4:13:51 PM
> Here is how 3 controls in a control array are recorded in a form.  This
> seem to take up as much space as 3 non-array controls.
>
> I think I also ran into the problem with dynamically creating control in
> an
> array - even at run time you cannot exceed the imposed limit.
>
> Begin VB.TextBox Text1
>      Height          =   495
>      Index           =   2
>      Left            =   2280
>      TabIndex        =   2
>      Text            =   "Text1"
>      Top             =   2160
>      Width           =   1215
>   End
>   Begin VB.TextBox Text1
>      Height          =   495
>      Index           =   1
>      Left            =   1560
>      TabIndex        =   1
>      Text            =   "Text1"
>      Top             =   1440
>      Width           =   1215
>   End
>   Begin VB.TextBox Text1
>      Height          =   495
>      Index           =   0
>      Left            =   960
>      TabIndex        =   0
>      Text            =   "Text1"
>      Top             =   720
>      Width           =   1215
>   End

There is a limit of 255 control names; control arrays created at design time
will take the same amount of "space" in the source files as ones not in
control arrays but they only count as 1 towards the limit.  If you are
really saying that the total number of controls is reaching 32K then I'm
surprised it ever finishes loading.

You can eliminate line and label controls, and possibly others, by just
drawing on the form directly.  You could also consider moving some blocks of
controls into user controls to isolate them from the form.

0
Bob
6/3/2010 4:31:42 PM
kpg wrote:
> Every control on the form is configured and moved at run time, so I'm safe
> to assume that if a control is not touched in code it is no longer used,
> hence my desire for a dead control sweep.

OMG!  I had no idea it could be *that* dire.  I figured you meant
controls that were /truly/ unused.  As in, not even placed on any
forms, just hanging out in the toolbox.

I'd be looking at rebuilding the entire UI at this point, if I were
called in on this one.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl
6/3/2010 5:01:41 PM
"Bob Butler" <noway@nospam.ever> wrote in

> There is a limit of 255 control names; control arrays created at
> design time will take the same amount of "space" in the source files
> as ones not in control arrays but they only count as 1 towards the
> limit.  If you are really saying that the total number of controls is
> reaching 32K then I'm surprised it ever finishes loading.

I knew I had more than 255, in fact I have 642.  After removing duplicates
from the list due to control arrays I am at 255.

So yes, 255 max, control arrays count as 1.

I like the idea of drawing lines directly on the form.  This will save at
least 11 if my hungarian notation was used consistantly.

Thanks for the info.
0
kpg
6/3/2010 5:10:35 PM

> kpg wrote:
>> Every control on the form is configured and moved at run time, so I'm
>> safe to assume that if a control is not touched in code it is no
>> longer used, hence my desire for a dead control sweep.
>
> OMG!  I had no idea it could be *that* dire.  I figured you meant
> controls that were /truly/ unused.  As in, not even placed on any
> forms, just hanging out in the toolbox.
>
> I'd be looking at rebuilding the entire UI at this point, if I were
> called in on this one.

....and I would love to have you.

My next step with the software is vb.net...with as much of an OOP influence
as I can muster while maintaining my sanity.

But now that I know the limit is 255 I don't feel nearly as bad as when I
thought I had 32k controls on the form (that would be nuts).

On a side note, I ran into this problem when I attempted to add yet another
control to my over-controlled form and was denied.  The control I wanted to
add was a 4th member of a 3 control array.  So while this should not have
counted against the 255 limit, it was denied.  I deleted an unused line and
now I can add the 4th array member, and in fact, a 5th and 6th...

So while under the 255 limit the IDE allows as many new control array items
as you desire, at the limit it denies new controls even though it would not
technically cause the limit to be exceeded.  Life at the edge, go figure.

0
kpg
6/3/2010 5:38:34 PM
kpg has brought this to us :
> Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org> wrote:
>> kpg wrote:
>>> Every control on the form is configured and moved at run time, so I'm
>>> safe to assume that if a control is not touched in code it is no
>>> longer used, hence my desire for a dead control sweep.
>>
>> OMG!  I had no idea it could be *that* dire.  I figured you meant
>> controls that were /truly/ unused.  As in, not even placed on any
>> forms, just hanging out in the toolbox.
>>
>> I'd be looking at rebuilding the entire UI at this point, if I were
>> called in on this one.
>
> ...and I would love to have you.
>
> My next step with the software is vb.net...with as much of an OOP influence
> as I can muster while maintaining my sanity.

Ooooh, my condolences.

> But now that I know the limit is 255 I don't feel nearly as bad as when I
> thought I had 32k controls on the form (that would be nuts).

<chuckle>

> On a side note, I ran into this problem when I attempted to add yet another
> control to my over-controlled form and was denied.  The control I wanted to
> add was a 4th member of a 3 control array.  So while this should not have
> counted against the 255 limit, it was denied.  I deleted an unused line and
> now I can add the 4th array member, and in fact, a 5th and 6th...

Probably some little "off by one" error that very few (sane) folks
would've stumbled across in the past. <gd&r>

> So while under the 255 limit the IDE allows as many new control array items
> as you desire, at the limit it denies new controls even though it would not
> technically cause the limit to be exceeded.  Life at the edge, go figure.

Heh...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!  http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Karl
6/3/2010 6:24:07 PM
kpg <ipost@thereforeiam> wrote:

>I have a legacy app (ah, the absolution that comes when I say 'legacy')
>that has the maximum amount of controls, that is, the vb6 ide will not
>allow me to add any more.

That's so incredibly absurd.  For one, if there are a lot of checkboxes or
option buttons those can be replaced by listboxes and comboboxes.  It also
saves screen real estate.

Also, many controls can be reused.  For instance, I have a grid I use for
about 15 different functions.  Basically, any kind of list that doesn't
require a selection goes onto the grid and the columns are adjusted
accordingly.

I don't think I've ever seen a program with 32767 controls on it.

Oh, and it also seems that a program that large can probably be broken down
into different programs and run as a suite.  For instance on one program I
have that does a lot of database intensive reading and writing, I set that off
as a separate module independent of the main program.  This simplifies
interference problems, such as not having to deactivate parts of the program
while a database scan is running, or make allowances for the hang time in some
database record updates.

0
sfdavidkaye2
6/3/2010 10:57:08 PM
On 03/06/2010 14:17, kpg wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson<karl@exmvps.org>  wrote in
>
>> Do you really have projects with so many controls, you're not sure if
>> some of them are even used?
>
> I knew someone would ask this question, and the answer is...Yes.
>
> I have a legacy app (ah, the absolution that comes when I say 'legacy')
> that has the maximum amount of controls, that is, the vb6 ide will not
> allow me to add any more.  I really don't know what that number is (32767?)
> but I am there.  This form is complex but functional.

That's a ridiculous number of controls to have on a single window.
Try splitting it up into usercontrosl that you can place ont he main
form, especially if only groups are visibel at any one time.
That and it'll be 32767 times easier to manage :p

Note that you'll soon hit the windows limit of the number of handles for
a process (10K iirc) if you carry on with this craziness :)

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee
6/4/2010 4:41:05 PM
On 03/06/2010 18:38, kpg wrote:
> On a side note, I ran into this problem when I attempted to add yet another
> control to my over-controlled form and was denied.  The control I wanted to
> add was a 4th member of a 3 control array.  So while this should not have
> counted against the 255 limit, it was denied.  I deleted an unused line and
> now I can add the 4th array member, and in fact, a 5th and 6th...

The new one has a unique name pushing it over the limit until you rename
it to match an existing array.
Deleting one frees up that "working space".
Copy/paste the control should have got around it too.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Form help #2
We are in the process of creating a computer with a kiosk type software that guests need to sign into. There will be a form that they need to complete. We need to be able to make it so that the guest can search for the name of the person he is visiting and then the form will be emailed to that specific person. Is there a way to make a form that works with our exchange server so it searches for a name and then automatically sets the form to email to him. ...

newbie question on MFC AtciveX control wizard
Hi, I am working on a MFC ActiveX Control wizard generated project. Is there a way to make a method to return a class to VB client? Say I have a class in VC++ named CCustomer, it has a lot of member varaibles, right now I am mapping each variable to a property of the ActiveX control. TIA Try creating a "method" for your ActiveX control that has a return type or either LPUNKNOWN or VARIANT. With this Method, return a CCustomer class. In VB, define the same CCustomer class and assign it to the resulting method call. There will be some pointer/object conversions you will n...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Controlling Navigation Pane from a form
Hi In my Access 2007 application I provide a number of buttons for users to control what they see on the screen. My users go back and forth between the initial 'switchboard' type of form (as a frontend interface) and the actual tables and queries that are listed in the navigation pane. I have a button that shows/hides the nav. pane (with a simple SendKeys "{F11}" snippet) -- but I would like the groups to be collapsed when the pane becomes visible. Right now, when the button is clicked, the nav. pane is displayed, but will have various groups expanded depending...

stock control question
Hello all, I have 2000 items and want to represent them as full cartons - inner cartons and single items. Full cartons have 36 pieces inner cartons have 6 pieces and singles are self explanatory. I tried using the INT formula but I can't seem to get it to work. Is there something else I can use? So want it to look like this stock 2000 - master cartons 55 ( 55x36=1980) inner cartons 3 ( 3 x 6=18) singles 2 ( 2 x 1) regards -- kinsey Assuming 2000 is in A1, all below formulas will go A2 - A4 =INT(A1/36) =INT(MOD(A1,36)/6) =A1-(A2*36+A3*6) "kinsey" wrote: > He...

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

Opening a form with cursor in a control filed
I have a form with a subform as reference. I only do data entry in 3 fields. I have set the tab control for field 1, 2 and 3, but when I click on add new record the cursor goes to the subform and and cannot tab out to the first field of the main form. I would like to set this up that on got focus the cursor is on the selected field and then tabs or move on enter to the next selected field in the tab order. The tab order in the main for is resetting to zero. Thanks Quinto -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200801/1 ...

message with RTF in outbox disables rich text control?
i develop a VAR application that sends emails on behalf of the user (using outlook automation usually via outlook redemption). An increasing number of customers are coming up with an error (0x8000405 unspecified error) when same program tries to instantiate a richtext object while emails are still in the outbox (or in drafts folder). Or at least that is my initial diagnosis. The richtext component seems fine. It was used to create the message body of the original email and that email is sent ok. Subsequent attempts to use the richtext control will work once the outbox is ...

remove previous vb6 project versions from Control Panel
Hello I use the package and deployment tool in vb6 to setup and install my vb6 projects on computers. After installing the project a few times on the same computer, I noticed different versions in the Software-screen in control panel. And I also noticed that pdw doesn't overwrite the program I wanted to install with pdw on that computer. Do you have a solution? Thanks Catharinus van der Werf csvanderwerf@planet.nl catharinus wrote: > Hello > > I use the package and deployment tool in vb6 to setup and install my > vb6 projects on computers. After installing ...

Control visability of Label on a report
I have a label box on a report that I have set as Visable=NO. However when a check box on the form generating the report is checked I want to change the visability of that label on the report to YES. Hope I said that clearly enough. Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance Dave On Jun 7, 11:14 am, "Dave" <dave@accessdatapros> wrote: > I have a label box on a report that I have set as Visable=NO. > However when a check box on the form generating the report is checked I want > to change the visability of that label on the report to YES. > > Hope...

Form data entry
Is it possible to have a command button included on a form, that when clicked the current entry being entered is aborted, without the autonumber field being tripped to the next number. eg data entry started and autonumber field shows 7 - data entry aborted - nothing saved - next new entry shows 8 even although entry 7 does not exist. Thanks Sandy It is possible if the form is not based on the table. The form can have the required fields [except autonumber]. You may use the command button to append the record. -- ********* http://panjas.org If the message was helpful to you, click Y...

Protected Forms & Tab Key
How do I create a form that allows users to use the tab key to move from one unprotected cell to the next, vs. having to use the mouse to click? Seems simple, but I can't find the info in MS Help. Thank you. See the info here at Bob Phillips' site. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0008.html There is another method which involves VBA Worksheet event code. If interested in that, post back. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:11:01 -0800, "virgobiker" <virgobiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I create a form that allows users to u...

cannot find database

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

Referring to text control in a form
Access 2007 I have a series of unbound combo list boxes on a data input form: Material01 Material02 Material03 etc - up to 10 One of the items listed is "Other" When the operator selects "Other" I would like them to enter a description in an existing unbound text box alongside the Combo list. These text boxes are named MaterialDesc01, 02, 03 etc to 10 I have created a small pop-up form for the user to enter that description so I can apply rules to the input, which is stored as a variable for inserting into the appropriate text field. Rather that writing a pro...

How do I find the out of office reply?

How do I use .Create on a control class?
For example, I want to progamatically add a CEdit to the main dialog in a dilaog based app. So, I declare a CEdit object called skill, then I call skill.Create(<style flags>, <rect>, <CWnd*>, etc... The question is this, where do I get the CWnd* ? I can declare one, but what do I initialize it to? I have tried using "this" as my CWnd* but if I do that, the control does not show up in the dialog. I did specify WS_CHILD and WS_VISIBLE in my style flags. What am I doing wrong? CWnd* is the base class of CDialog*, just pass it 'this' (self reference ...

Mailbox Control
How would one make user A's mailbox readable by user B? Will the folder structure be preserved? -- Craig Tuttle - Level I Exchange Tech UCNSB.org if you want them to have full access, grant "full mailbox access" in Mailbox rights, and "send as" on the security tab of user A's AD account... "Craig Tuttle" <CraigTuttle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D180981-DA03-4AD2-AB5B-C2B173D902D7@microsoft.com... > How would one make user A's mailbox readable by user B? Will the folder > structure be preserved? > > > -- ...