Excel automation: how to open a blank spreadsheet

Hello,
           When using Excel automation:
..Open command requires the full path to the file (workbook)
I need to open just blank, unnamed spreadsheet.
How to do that?
Thanks, Claire

0
Claire

"Claire" <replyto@fra> wrote in message
> Hello,
>           When using Excel automation:
> .Open command requires the full path to the file (workbook)
> I need to open just blank, unnamed spreadsheet.
> How to do that?
> Thanks, Claire
I have found that doing:
..Visible = True
and then using .Add it will show opened Excel book containing 3 blank
sheets.
Why there are 3 sheets?
I need to start a book with one blank sheet only.
Thanks, Claire

0
Claire
6/9/2010 4:36:39 AM
Claire laid this down on his screen :
> "Claire" <replyto@fra> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>           When using Excel automation:
>> .Open command requires the full path to the file (workbook)
>> I need to open just blank, unnamed spreadsheet.
>> How to do that?
>> Thanks, Claire
> I have found that doing:
> .Visible = True
> and then using .Add it will show opened Excel book containing 3 blank sheets.
> Why there are 3 sheets?
> I need to start a book with one blank sheet only.
> Thanks, Claire

Hi Claire,

The number of worksheets when adding a new workbook will always be the
value of Application.SheetsInNewWorkbook property. To only have 1 sheet
in a new workbook:

  With appXL
    .SheetsInNewWorkbook = 1
    .Workbooks.Add
    'do some more stuff, maybe
    .visible = True
    .UserControl = True
  End With

where appXL would be replaced by your object ref to the Excel instance
you are automating. Note that the instance does not have to be visible
to do this, and is probably a good idea to not make it visible until
it's ready to turn over to your user (if that's your intent).

HTH

--
Garry

GS
6/9/2010 6:28:24 AM
Sorry, but I failed to mention that it is good practice to always
restore any persistent settings you change when automating any app.
That said, you should store the existing SheetsInNewWorkbook setting in
a variable and reset it after you add your workbook.

Revised code snippet:

   Dim lCount As Long
   With appXL
     lCount = .SheetsInNewWorkbook
     .SheetsInNewWorkbook = 1
     .Workbooks.Add
     .SheetsInNewWorkbook = lCount
     'do some more stuff, maybe
     .visible = True
     .UserControl = True
   End With

--
Garry

GS
6/9/2010 7:34:03 AM
Thank you, Gary
Claire
"GS" <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Sorry, but I failed to mention that it is good practice to always restore
> any persistent settings you change when automating any app. That said, you
> should store the existing SheetsInNewWorkbook setting in a variable and
> reset it after you add your workbook.
>
> Revised code snippet:
>
>   Dim lCount As Long
>   With appXL
>     lCount = .SheetsInNewWorkbook
>     .SheetsInNewWorkbook = 1
>     .Workbooks.Add
>     .SheetsInNewWorkbook = lCount
>     'do some more stuff, maybe
>     .visible = True
>     .UserControl = True
>   End With
>
> --
> Garry
>
> Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

0
Claire
6/9/2010 1:46:32 PM
Gary,
What UserControl = True is used for?
Thanks,
Claire
"GS" <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Sorry, but I failed to mention that it is good practice to always restore
> any persistent settings you change when automating any app. That said, you
> should store the existing SheetsInNewWorkbook setting in a variable and
> reset it after you add your workbook.
>
> Revised code snippet:
>
>   Dim lCount As Long
>   With appXL
>     lCount = .SheetsInNewWorkbook
>     .SheetsInNewWorkbook = 1
>     .Workbooks.Add
>     .SheetsInNewWorkbook = lCount
>     'do some more stuff, maybe
>     .visible = True
>     .UserControl = True
>   End With
>
> --
> Garry
>
> Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

0
Claire
6/9/2010 1:52:43 PM
After serious thinking Claire wrote :
> Gary,
> What UserControl = True is used for?
> Thanks,
> Claire
> "GS" <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Sorry, but I failed to mention that it is good practice to always restore
>> any persistent settings you change when automating any app. That said, you
>> should store the existing SheetsInNewWorkbook setting in a variable and
>> reset it after you add your workbook.
>>
>> Revised code snippet:
>>
>>   Dim lCount As Long
>>   With appXL
>>     lCount = .SheetsInNewWorkbook
>>     .SheetsInNewWorkbook = 1
>>     .Workbooks.Add
>>     .SheetsInNewWorkbook = lCount
>>     'do some more stuff, maybe
>>     .visible = True
>>     .UserControl = True
>>   End With
>>
>> -- Garry
>>
>> Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
>> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

UserControl = True turns the instance over to the user for use by the
user. This means your app no longer has exclusive control. I expect
you'd only use this if your app was Excel-based. Otherwise, if you want
to have complete control over the automated instance while it's running
then don't use it.

Also, the only reason to make the instance visible <IMO> is to allow
users to view or interact with any files you've opened. Your app can
control the interaction or you could turn control over to the user via
setting the UserControl prop. By default, that prop is FALSE for
automated instances of MSO apps.

HTH

--
Garry

GS
6/9/2010 3:07:19 PM
It is a pleasure to read your replies.
Thanks, Gary.

> After serious thinking Claire wrote :
>> Gary,
>> What UserControl = True is used for?
>> Thanks,
>> Claire
>> "GS" <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>> Sorry, but I failed to mention that it is good practice to always
>>> restore any persistent settings you change when automating any app. That
>>> said, you should store the existing SheetsInNewWorkbook setting in a
>>> variable and reset it after you add your workbook.
>>>
>>> Revised code snippet:
>>>
>>>   Dim lCount As Long
>>>   With appXL
>>>     lCount = .SheetsInNewWorkbook
>>>     .SheetsInNewWorkbook = 1
>>>     .Workbooks.Add
>>>     .SheetsInNewWorkbook = lCount
>>>     'do some more stuff, maybe
>>>     .visible = True
>>>     .UserControl = True
>>>   End With
>>>
>>> -- Garry
>>>
>>> Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
>>> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>>>

> UserControl = True turns the instance over to the user for use by the
> user. This means your app no longer has exclusive control. I expect you'd
> only use this if your app was Excel-based. Otherwise, if you want to have
> complete control over the automated instance while it's running then don't
> use it.
>
> Also, the only reason to make the instance visible <IMO> is to allow users
> to view or interact with any files you've opened. Your app can control the
> interaction or you could turn control over to the user via setting the
> UserControl prop. By default, that prop is FALSE for automated instances
> of MSO apps.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Garry
>
> Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

0
Claire
6/9/2010 9:26:40 PM
On 09/06/2010 07:28, GS wrote:
> Claire laid this down on his screen :
>> "Claire" <replyto@fra> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> When using Excel automation:
>>> .Open command requires the full path to the file (workbook)
>>> I need to open just blank, unnamed spreadsheet.
>>> How to do that?
>>> Thanks, Claire
>> I have found that doing:
>> .Visible = True
>> and then using .Add it will show opened Excel book containing 3 blank
>> sheets.
>> Why there are 3 sheets?
>> I need to start a book with one blank sheet only.
>> Thanks, Claire
>
> The number of worksheets when adding a new workbook will always be the
> value of Application.SheetsInNewWorkbook property. To only have 1 sheet
> in a new workbook:

Or remove them (using code)

I've always hated that default setting, but i suppose no one will notice
the feature if there is just one.
A slightly more intelligent design (like IE, chrome, etc) with a "new"
tab would have done

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
0
Dee
6/16/2010 2:51:42 PM
Dee Earley presented the following explanation :
> On 09/06/2010 07:28, GS wrote:
>> Claire laid this down on his screen :
>>> "Claire" <replyto@fra> wrote in message
>>> I have found that doing:
>>> .Visible = True
>>> and then using .Add it will show opened Excel book containing 3 blank
>>> sheets.
>>> Why there are 3 sheets?
>>> I need to start a book with one blank sheet only.
>>> Thanks, Claire
>>
>> The number of worksheets when adding a new workbook will always be the
>> value of Application.SheetsInNewWorkbook property. To only have 1 sheet
>> in a new workbook:
>
> Or remove them (using code)
>
> I've always hated that default setting, but i suppose no one will notice the
> feature if there is just one.
> A slightly more intelligent design (like IE, chrome, etc) with a "new" tab
> would have done

Hmm! I suppose that might be a realistic idea. I see Excel12 has a new
approach attached to its "New" menu. Not decided if any approach by M$
is better than configuring it how I want, though.

As for automating, it's pretty simple to store the existing property,
set as desired, then restore original afterwards. It's a bit easier to
handle than deleting however many sheets greater than a count of 1.
Less coding required to set as desired!<IMO>

--
Garry

GS
6/16/2010 6:38:08 PM
> Dee Earley presented the following explanation :
>> On 09/06/2010 07:28, GS wrote:
>>> Claire laid this down on his screen :
>>>
>>> The number of worksheets when adding a new workbook will always be the
>>> value of Application.SheetsInNewWorkbook property. To only have 1 sheet
>>> in a new workbook:
>>
>> Or remove them (using code)
>>
>> I've always hated that default setting, but i suppose no one will notice
>> the feature if there is just one.
>> A slightly more intelligent design (like IE, chrome, etc) with a "new"
>> tab would have done
>
> Hmm! I suppose that might be a realistic idea. I see Excel12 has a new
> approach attached to its "New" menu. Not decided if any approach by M$ is
> better than configuring it how I want, though.
>
> As for automating, it's pretty simple to store the existing property, set
> as desired, then restore original afterwards. It's a bit easier to handle
> than deleting however many sheets greater than a count of 1. Less coding
> required to set as desired!<IMO>

not a whole lot of extra coding...

oxl.displayalerts=false
do while owb.worksheets.count>1
  owb.worksheets(1).delete
loop
oxl.displayalerts=true

0
Bob
6/16/2010 6:44:12 PM
Bob Butler has brought this to us :
> "GS" <gesansom@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Dee Earley presented the following explanation :

>>> Or remove them (using code)
>>>
>>> I've always hated that default setting, but i suppose no one will notice
>>> the feature if there is just one.
>>> A slightly more intelligent design (like IE, chrome, etc) with a "new" tab
>>> would have done
>>
>> Hmm! I suppose that might be a realistic idea. I see Excel12 has a new
>> approach attached to its "New" menu. Not decided if any approach by M$ is
>> better than configuring it how I want, though.
>>
>> As for automating, it's pretty simple to store the existing property, set
>> as desired, then restore original afterwards. It's a bit easier to handle
>> than deleting however many sheets greater than a count of 1. Less coding
>> required to set as desired!<IMO>
>
> not a whole lot of extra coding...
>
> oxl.displayalerts=false
> do while owb.worksheets.count>1
>   owb.worksheets(1).delete
> loop
> oxl.displayalerts=true

True enough, Bob. I guess I'm too used to totally controlling the Excel
UI as most of my apps are designed specifically for use on that
platform. Given that the coding isn't really all that much more than
directly setting a property, the loop takes a bit longer and that is a
variable I don't have to deal with where users have increased the
number of sheets in a new workbook. Unfortunately, the Workbooks.Add
method doesn't provide an arg for specifying the sheet count as does
the Worksheets.Add.

<FWIW>I suppose it's a matter of preference, and so I find it easier to
'set' my preferences before taking action than fixing undesired
defaults afterwards.<g>

--
Garry

GS

Filter to select from various fields on opening a form
I have a form called TDC and want to filter data in the following fields on opening the form: DiaryAction (text field); DiaryCategory (text field); DiarySubCategory (text field); Company (text field); ContactType (text field); DiaryItemClosed (a Yes/No field). At the same time, I want the option not to select anything in each of these fields. Please could somebody give me the steps to do this. I am doing this in Access 2007, but am creating it as an Access 2003 database. Thank you for any help. I meant to say that I want this from dropdown boxes, but forgot to say becau...

Printing an Excel doucument

Can�t open some mail in Exchange 2003
Hi! I�m using exchange 2003 and Outlook 2000 and 2003 I have some mail that I can�t open, I get the error "Can�t open this item, The operation failed." I can view, delete or take backup on the mails. I have tried to resote an old backup, the I get two mails with the exact same name, I can open the restored mail, but still not the orginal. How can I delete the bad mails? Is their a tool to check all the mailboxes for errors in Exchange 2003. Best regards Joakim Sweden ISINTEG will help you. Make sure that you have usable backup before you start. Jocke wrote: > Hi! > &g...

Error opening form
Hi, I am trying to open a form from a switchboard and I get this error message: "MSACCESS exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I restart the computer and it's fixed. but it keeps happening. Does anyone know the solution? I have Microsoft Office 2000 thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200709/1 There are many, many things that could be causing this. Work through the list in this article: Preventing corruption ...

Windows Update

unable to open outlook 2003
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi , i'm unable to open my Outlook 2003 , it gives error = message as "cannot start microsoft office outlook 2003,unable to open = the outlook window. the set of folders could not be opened . the server = is not available " plz help me to fix this issue With Regards, Ramesh.C ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"...

excel axes

Removed content in right columns and limited size of spreadsheet
I was trying to get rid of the contents in the columns to the right of my spreadsheet and instead I accidently deleted everything to the right (area is now grey). Now I can't insert new columns because I have limited the size of the spreadsheet. How can I recover columns to the right? I can't just click undo because I have saved and gone out of the spreadsheet. The data in deleted columns is lost I do not understand how you think you have limited the size of the worksheet That is not possible tell us more best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/...

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

version excel

Publisher 2007 crashes when trying to open website created with 20
One of my websites works with 2007 because it was named index.html within its file but the other doesn't that was named by its name.pub, I tried to rename it index.html but it didn't work, its icon became one of IE instead of Publisher like my first website. I ran office diagnostics and no error was found. Any help much appreciated. ...

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Outlook 2003: Run-time error / Automation Error
We have been using a 3rd party add-in for several years with various configurations of Outlook/Windows and Exchange 5.5. The application is called organiziQ.Team and we are no longer eligible for support (nor does the company support the product anymore to my knowledge). It allows the user to focus on an individual calendar while seeing an overview of multiple calendars at the same time. Anyway, I'm trying out Office 2003 (we have it anyway through our organization) and I can't seem to get the application to launch properly. The system is fully patched. I'll add the add-in, the...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...